PDA

View Full Version : Stuart Lovell - Real radio

ManBearPig
04-05-2012, 06:11 PM
Did he hate his time at hibs? Just heard him on real radio saying hearts will basically walk the final and in the old documentary back in nineties he always seem negative about hibees.

Phil D. Rolls
04-05-2012, 06:13 PM
Did he hate his time at hibs? Just heard him on real radio saying hearts will basically walk the final and in the old documentary back in nineties he always seem negative about hibees.

Archie loved his time at Hibs, and he is entitled to an opinion. Besides, we are all trying to hammer home to the Yams how much pressure they are under to beat us. Well done Agent Lovell.

ManBearPig
04-05-2012, 06:15 PM
I thought he was very good at Ian Murray testimonial had lots of time for the fans was just never sure with the docu and this interview on his views of the cabbage.

Violater
04-05-2012, 06:17 PM
Good lad and enjoyed his time at Hibs! His only regret was he did not play in the scottish cup final against celtic. :agree:

Billy Whizz
04-05-2012, 06:19 PM
Good lad and enjoyed his time at Hibs! His only regret was he did not play in the scottish cup final against celtic. :agree:

Ian Murray took his place. Was surprised at McLeish's decision with this

--------
04-05-2012, 06:22 PM
Ian Murray took his place. Was surprised at McLeish's decision with this

That wasn't the only surprising selection that day ... :rolleyes:

Billy Whizz
04-05-2012, 06:25 PM
That wasn't the only surprising selection that day ... :rolleyes:

Libra up front the other, or Sauzee playing?

hibee_girl
04-05-2012, 06:28 PM
I have it in writing how much he loved his time at Hibs ;)

Thecat23
04-05-2012, 06:30 PM
Archie Loved His time at Hibs but isn't a fan at all of Big Eck. Used to slate him all the time when we went out for beers. Tells some great stories and is a good lad.

Aldo
04-05-2012, 06:35 PM
Archie for me was one if the most under rated players at ER in his time. His work rate was excellent. I remember his goal at the PBS when he pretty much ran the length of the park to slot it home.

oldbutdim
04-05-2012, 06:37 PM
Archie Loved His time at Hibs but isn't a fan at all of Big Eck. Used to slate him all the time when we went out for beers. Tells some great stories and is a good lad.

I wasn't a great fan of Archie before, but if he slates Judas then he's gone right up in my estimation.
:aok:

--------
04-05-2012, 07:10 PM
Archie for me was one if the most under rated players at ER in his time. His work rate was excellent. I remember his goal at the PBS when he pretty much ran the length of the park to slot it home.

Did a lot of unseen work. did he? :wink:

ekhibee
04-05-2012, 08:13 PM

I was just about to say the same. I thought he was a pretty average player to say the least, but he came across as a nice enough bloke off the pitch. Maybe another Chris Hogg, seemingly also a nice enough bloke off the pitch but pretty useless on it. Just my opinion though.

--------
04-05-2012, 08:17 PM
I was just about to say the same. I thought he was a pretty average player to say the least, but he came across as a nice enough bloke off the pitch. Maybe another Chris Hogg, seemingly also a nice enough bloke off the pitch but pretty useless on it. Just my opinion though.

Just joking - I wasn't inferring that he wasn't a decent player.

I would agree he was underestimated by many during his time at ER, though I suspect he benefitted from playing in a side with so many more gifted players. But then, who wouldn't? He strikes me as being one of the more intelligent commentator/summarisers on TV these days.

I have absolutely no problem with anyone feeding the Yams' superiority complex - the more inflated their egos, the bigger the bang when the bubble bursts....

erin go bragh
04-05-2012, 08:22 PM
He also managed to miss an open goal against Stirling Albion in a scottish cup replay which we lost 2/1 .:greengrin
ggtth

The Harp
04-05-2012, 08:35 PM
I always thought he got a bad time of it from some so-called Hibs fans when he was at ER. Another in a long line of scapegoats singled out for abuse.
Certainly a well-educated guy who comes over pretty good anytime I've seen him on tv - don't know about his record of predicting cup winners though.:hmmm:

Phil D. Rolls
04-05-2012, 10:25 PM

Used to like the way he bounced about mopping up things for Russel and Franck. Always seemed to love playing football.

At times we get above ourselves and let the likes of Archie go. Remember what he did to us in the League Cup Final. Won't hear a word said against any of that team. (Not that you were criticising them).

Billy McKirdy
04-05-2012, 11:46 PM
I sat in the seats behind the old dugout in the main stand with Archie one evening years ago and we talked about many things, non-football related I have to say, a top bloke who loved being at Hibs, at that point in time I remember him telling me that this was the best club he had ever played for, he still had to captain the Livvy Lions to a league cup triumph over us in 2004, BUT, ever since then, whenever I've seen him being a pundit on Sky or wherever, he has always come over to me as a knowledgeable and informed opinion on the game, if he has ever commented or opined on us, he has been as honest as I believe any of us would be, never anti-Hibs by any stretch of the imagination...a good pundit no less!! :greengrin

SkintHibby
04-05-2012, 11:51 PM
I met Stuart Lovell in Livingston when he played for Livingston and I said to him I wish he was still at Hibs and he said so did he!:agree:

Reaper
04-05-2012, 11:52 PM

Nothing against him but i couldn't give a **** what he thinks!

KWJ
05-05-2012, 01:37 AM
Was my favourite player at the time, well, maybe after Russ.

Really liked him when he played as a striker in the first division season, scored 2 wonder goals in a humping of Airdrie.

Thought he was great for us and I bet he fondly remembers the east stand chanting his name during a game when he had an absolute stormer. There aren't many players who would've kept up such a high performance being played in 3 different positions.

1two
05-05-2012, 09:00 AM
Towards the end of his time here he got a hard time from our 'fans'.

BEEJ
05-05-2012, 10:03 AM
Used to like the way he bounced about mopping up things for Russel and Franck. Always seemed to love playing football.

At times we get above ourselves and let the likes of Archie go. Remember what he did to us in the League Cup Final. Won't hear a word said against any of that team. (Not that you were criticising them).
:agree:

Some people will never get the fact that an effective team can rarely comprise 11 superstars. Instead of valuing players like Lovell for what they brought to the overall team performance, he was criticised because he'd never be a Sauzee or a Latapy.

I recall a goal of Archie's in a 2-0 victory against a very defensive-minded St Johnstone side at ER. A wonderful curling strike from outside the area. Good player!

Bostonhibby
05-05-2012, 10:14 AM

Lived next door to my friend in Reading for a while and by all accounts a good guy, certainly speaks well of Hibs and his time with us.

--------
05-05-2012, 10:23 AM

Yup - we under-rate guys like Lovell, let them go, and then meet them again two years later and they do us damage.

I was joking about the unseen work - Stu always put in a real and very effective shift and if he benefitted from the presence of guys like Sauzee and Latapy in the team, they certainly benefitted from his presence in return.

My father once told me that there were people going to Hibs matches when the Famous Five were in their pomp who reckoned Ned T wasn't really good enough - not as classy as Smith, Johnstone or Reilly, anyway. And I have the fixed impression that Ned himself grossly underestimated the contribution of Jimmy O'Rourke to the Tornadoes team. Otherwise he wouldn't have replaced him with Lardass.

Holmesdale Hibs
05-05-2012, 12:18 PM
Don't know what he's like as a person but I always thought he was a good player.

Sas_The_Hibby
05-05-2012, 12:40 PM
Well this thread turned out to be a bit of a damp squib on the 'stir-it-up' front, then, didn't it!? :greengrin

basehibby
05-05-2012, 03:02 PM

There was a large minority of idiots in our support who used to give Lovell pelters at every opportunity - we had a great team back then but some morons always need a scapegoat to pick on and Lovell was that man for a while. While I'm sure Archie enjoyed his time at ER I'm also sure he enjoyed taking the opportunity to deliver a massive GIRFUY to these perpetual whingers during his time as captain at Livingston after he left Hibs with the boos of said idiots ringing in his ears.

lord bunberry
05-05-2012, 05:24 PM
I quite liked lovell but let's be honest he was a better player than he was a tipster did he not get the bullet from the sun for being useless at tipping the football scores so if he is taking hearts then I'm happy with that

Squealing pig
05-05-2012, 07:25 PM
He also managed to miss an open goal against Stirling Albion in a scottish cup replay which we lost 2/1 .:greengrin
ggtth

Was there in the Stirling end..... Gutted