PDA

View Full Version : BBC Sportsound Commentary

SMAXXA
04-05-2012, 08:55 AM
I sat and listened to the game on Weds on Sportsound and have just watched the highlights on the net. What struck me was how harsh the radio commentators were on hibs, for players diving and 2 other incidents. First being O'Hanlons chance in the first half where they said he would have certainly scored if he hadnt tried to go down easily if he threw his body at it, I didnt think he was anywhere near getting the ball. The second saying Spoony missed an absalute sitter, just watched that and I dont agree it wasnt as easy as they would have you believe if you hadnt watched the incident.

Pretty p*ss poor commentary IMO, not saying its any kind of conspirecy or that, probably just clueless radio comentators.

--------
04-05-2012, 09:01 AM
I sat and listened to the game on Weds on Sportsound and have just watched the highlights on the net. What struck me was how harsh the radio commentators were on hibs, for players diving and 2 other incidents. First being O'Hanlons chance in the first half where they said he would have certainly scored if he hadnt tried to go down easily if he threw his body at it, I didnt think he was anywhere near getting the ball. The second saying Spoony missed an absalute sitter, just watched that and I dont agree it wasnt as easy as they would have you believe if you hadnt watched the incident.

Pretty p*ss poor commentary IMO, not saying its any kind of conspirecy or that, probably just clueless radio comentators.

I think that there IS a settled tendency for the BBC to judge Hibs harshly these days. It seems to have started after Hughes left - maybe one of his pals has his knickers in a twist and the rest are just joining in?

It feels strange to say so, but we get a fairer deal in the red-top press these days than on the Beeb. My impression of the commentary on the semi-final was that the commentator expected us to crumble after the Dons' equaliser, and was more than just surprised when we didn't.

Disappointed was what he sounded, to my ear.

jimmy-adjovi
04-05-2012, 09:01 AM

I don't think its any kind of bias. Just idiots talking p*** and really poor journalism. The sportscene highlights package is so bad its untrue

truehibernian
04-05-2012, 09:19 AM
I think it goes through cycles. Pat Fenlon has recently began to question and criticise their coverage, and they are a protective clique those journos (not you magpie ;-) ).

They started off thinking Kenny Shiels was a character remember, then when he dared take them to task a little, he became the weird' Kenny Shiels, the 'where does he get these notions' Kenny Shiels. They like Sergio (as I do strangely), and faun over him, only because he is one of the only Hearts managers who engages and gives a bit of insight (however small) into Tynecastle. They give Brown an easier time because he is the 'elder statesman', even though I think he us becoming more senile by the season. McCall....he is the cheeky chappy, a more football savvy John Hughes.....always good for a quip, joke or Chick put down.

Sometimes we do however need to take the green tinted specs off - they have no emotional attachment to Hibs, and they say what they see, and we see - a poor Hibs side.

We talk about it here, day in day out. The only difference sometimes is they have a mic and typewriter.

lapsedhibee
04-05-2012, 12:48 PM
Sometimes we do however need to take the green tinted specs off - they have no emotional attachment to Hibs, and they say what they see, and we see - a poor Hibs side.

We talk about it here, day in day out. The only difference sometimes is they have a mic and typewriter.

Really can't imagine that the boy Preston has the technical skills to operate anything as advanced as a typewriter.:flag:

matty_f
04-05-2012, 01:00 PM
Really can't imagine that the boy Preston has the technical skills to operate anything as advanced as a typewriter.:flag:

I think he'd struggle with a biro.

Jim44
04-05-2012, 01:25 PM

I think without a shadow of doubt that there is a concerted effort by the BBC and Sportsound pundits in particular to 'bash' and trivialise Hibs. It hardly merits the description 'conspiracy' as it's petty and juvenile and says more about the mentality of those who run one of the country's biggest media institutions. A typical example, away from the boring winding up of the Sportsound idiots, was the radio announcement of the evening's football results. The newsreader, quite blatently announced in a loud cheerful voice, "Aberdeen 1" followed by a long silent pause and then in a low , feigned disappointed voice "Hibs 2". Don't tell me that is not intentional. Pathetic.:rolleyes:

ekhibee
04-05-2012, 01:38 PM
Well their 'main' commentator for the big games is Mitchell who is an out and out jambo. I think he's not a bad commentator actually, but he certainly used to have a bias against Hibs anytime they were playing in my opinion, although not so much now. Dunno what the commentry would be like for the cup final with him commentating, glad I'm going to the game rather than actually having to listen to BBC Hearts.

Part/Time Supporter
04-05-2012, 01:56 PM
Well their 'main' commentator for the big games is Mitchell who is an out and out jambo. I think he's not a bad commentator actually, but he certainly used to have a bias against Hibs anytime they were playing in my opinion, although not so much now. Dunno what the commentry would be like for the cup final with him commentating, glad I'm going to the game rather than actually having to listen to BBC Hearts.

I recall a story about Mitchell that he requested to commentate on all of Hibs' home games in the 2004/05 season (Mowbray's first), thinking that Hibs were going to have a complete disaster and he was going to enjoy it. Oops.

BEEJ
04-05-2012, 02:03 PM
I think that there IS a settled tendency for the BBC to judge Hibs harshly these days. It seems to have started after Hughes left - maybe one of his pals has his knickers in a twist and the rest are just joining in?
:agree: Agreed. That certainly has something to do with it.

But many of them do have an emotional attachment to the Yams. That does make a difference.

Alan62
04-05-2012, 02:18 PM
I recall a story about Mitchell that he requested to commentate on all of Hibs' home games in the 2004/05 season (Mowbray's first), thinking that Hibs were going to have a complete disaster and he was going to enjoy it. Oops.

I know Paul quite well and I can assure you that the only reason that he would request to do the Hibs' games would be to get the work and make his travel arrangements nice and simple. While he is a Jambo, he's also a professional broadcaster. He'll do a decent job of the cup final, certainly better than young Liam Whatsisname who has squeezed him out as the BBC's main commentator in Scotland.

On the wider subject of bias in the BBC's sports team, it seems obvious to me that there has been a big shift away from any old-fashioned notion of neutrality. Nowadays, the pundits pin their colours firmly to the mast - the worst example of this being Billy Dodds' constant whining about 'The' Rangers. Our problem is that we don't seem to have anyone in the gang representing the Hibernian cause.

The Sea-gull
04-05-2012, 04:49 PM
I know Paul quite well and I can assure you that the only reason that he would request to do the Hibs' games would be to get the work and make his travel arrangements nice and simple. While he is a Jambo, he's also a professional broadcaster. He'll do a decent job of the cup final, certainly better than young Liam Whatsisname who has squeezed him out as the BBC's main commentator in Scotland.

On the wider subject of bias in the BBC's sports team, it seems obvious to me that there has been a big shift away from any old-fashioned notion of neutrality. Nowadays, the pundits pin their colours firmly to the mast - the worst example of this being Billy Dodds' constant whining about 'The' Rangers. Our problem is that we don't seem to have anyone in the gang representing the Hibernian cause.

Sure i heard Craig Patterson refer to hibs as we the other night. He does not let that slip out often. Do not think is a secret that he is a hibby but he has a bit more class and professionalism about him as a broadcaster than some on there. He does not seem as interested in the petty "banter" as some.

down the slope
04-05-2012, 05:08 PM
Surprised nobody mentioned the fact that they were supposed to be commentating the other night instead of having a wee blether while a football game was in progress !, when we scored the second it came as a complete surprise to them both even though it was a corner so engrossed were they in talking p!sh. Someone should pull Paterson up in particular as he does not know how to summarize anything in under five minutes .

Hibernia Na Eir
04-05-2012, 05:30 PM
let's face it, Pat fenlon is correct in saying everyone wanted us relegated. Media always will want the underdog over the big team.

here's hoping they side with us in fifteen days time ;)

BEEJ
04-05-2012, 05:45 PM
Surprised nobody mentioned the fact that they were supposed to be commentating the other night instead of having a wee blether while a football game was in progress !, when we scored the second it came as a complete surprise to them both even though it was a corner so engrossed were they in talking p!sh. Someone should pull Paterson up in particular as he does not know how to summarize anything in under five minutes .
Didn't hear the commentary. But being Pittodrie it was doubtless the tedious Scott Davey 'describing the action'.

He is reknowned during such stints for waxing lyrical on just about any football stat you can care to mention, however tenuously it may be linked to the two teams on the pitch. He'll do this for up to four minutes at a time while play rages from end to end - the noise of the crowd giving some indication to the frustrated radio listener that there is in fact some action on the pitch worthy of his attention and focus.

Another utter plonker. Don't know where BBC Radio Scotland dig them up.

King Paddy
04-05-2012, 08:32 PM

Bring back the day's of commentating at it's best. Bob Crampsey, Archie Mcpherson,
David Francie from the radio. Quality guys of yester year and compared to the rubbish
of the D. Mitchels and co of today were in a leauge of their own.

Jonnyboy
04-05-2012, 08:52 PM

Actually, their 'main' commentator is the truly awful Liam McLeod of "are you watching Hibernian" fame

I'm sorry J but I don't believe that for one minute. I know Paul and there's no way he'd do something like that.

Other than Craig Paterson who refuses to sink to the level of Preston, Dodds etc

Jamesie
05-05-2012, 04:15 PM
I'm sorry J but I don't believe that for one minute. I know Paul and there's no way he'd do something like that.

To be fair, as far as decent Yams go Paul has to be top of the pile - he's a good guy.