PDA

View Full Version : Referees

onlyonesauzee4
04-05-2012, 08:48 AM
Morning Hibees,

I am thinking about doing an SFA refereeing course over the summer so hopefully next season I can referee amateur footy. Make a few quid and good to keep fit and be involved in football. I was wondering if anyone on here does refereeing and what they think about it?

Any advice welcome haha.

15 days to do ohhh s***

happiehibbie
04-05-2012, 09:14 AM
Morning Hibees,

I am thinking about doing an SFA refereeing course over the summer so hopefully next season I can referee amateur footy. Make a few quid and good to keep fit and be involved in football. I was wondering if anyone on here does refereeing and what they think about it?

Any advice welcome haha.

15 days to do ohhh s***

its where you want to take it really Amatur football is very difficult to over see but what a fantastic job if you can stand the heat

--------
04-05-2012, 09:20 AM
Morning Hibees,

Any advice welcome haha.

15 days to do ohhh s***

You're starting a refereeing course and you're asking for advice? From Hibs supporters?

I'm no prophet, but I can foresee you getting far more advice than you can handle in the months and years ahead.

Most of it anatomically unfeasible to execute. :devil:

My advice:

1. Wear old clothes on the journey to the game. That way you can leave them in the dressing-room when you have to do a runner at the end of the game.

2. Always park you car where you can't be boxed-in, and facing the exit from the car-park. This will be an advantage when you have to do a runner at the end of the game.

3. Whatever else you do, engage a sprint trainer. This will be an advantage when you have to do a runner at the end of the game.

4. Take all your valuables - watch, rings, other jewellery, anything you value - with you onto the pitch. This will be an advantage when you have to do a runner at the end of the game.

5. Have your name and next-of-kin's name tattooed somewhere on your body. This will be an advantage when they find your body if you DON'T do a runner at the end of the game. Alternatively, get a vet to microchip you. That'll do the job.

6. Most of all, accept that from the moment you complete the course, normal human society will be closed to you. You will be condemned to live in the shadows, a creature half-alive, half dead and decaying, ostracised by all decent folks, bearing the mark of one who has surrendered his humanity to the darkest powers of evil. Your wife will shudder at your touch. Your parents will disown you. Your children will shrink away from you as you come near. Dogs will bare their teeth and cower away from your touch. You will have no further need of mirrors - they will not reflect your image. In the noonday sun you will cast no shadow. You will be DOOMED to walk the earth an outcast and a pariah, the butt of cruel jokes, the target of every decent man's scorn and derision. You will be the UNDEAD, the UNLIVING, the SCOTTISH FOOTBALL REFEREE....

Make your will. NOW. :devil:

woohahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!:turnevil:

bawheid
04-05-2012, 09:24 AM
Think you can get up to speed for the 19th May??

rj1875
04-05-2012, 09:32 AM
Def go for it ...... it will be the one of the most satisfying, rewarding and character building things you can do.

You will get a fantastic amount of encouragement & support and a real understanding of how the referee community works for the benefit of the game ....... you will also watch games with a totally different perspective

Twa Cairpets
04-05-2012, 10:04 AM
Morning Hibees,

Any advice welcome haha.

15 days to do ohhh s***

Definitely do it.
Ive been a ref for years, but now pretty much just do youth football due to other commitments. Even if you do the course and then find its not for you you at the very least will understand what the laws of the game actually are, not what Alan Hansen/Alan Preston/Chic Young think they should be.

It is genuinely good fun, the support mechanism is there if you want it and the potential to progress is pretty high. One thing I'd recommend though is cutting your teeth with youth football for a season or so before going straight into the amateurs.

Anything specifc you want to know just send a pm

littleplum
04-05-2012, 10:10 AM
Actually some of what Doddie says is worth considering! I had stuff nicked from my changing room a few times when I refereed, and was once confronted by a coach in the car park who was seriously convinced I was in some sort of conspiracy against his boys club.

There were times I really enjoyed it, and the cameraderie and understanding of the game you develop is rewarding. But you need a tough skin. It's no surprise that top referees get criticised for arrogance- you need a high degree of self-confidence just to avoid slumping into a depression on a Saturday evening agonising over whether you could have done something better.

I suffered a nasty injury and had to take a good few months away from it. When I came back and got abuse all the way through a charity game I realised I hadn't really missed it at all.

Good luck with it, it's certainly worth giving it a go and I know plenty who have stuck with it and love it.

onlyonesauzee4
04-05-2012, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. Will definitely think about it.