PDA

View Full Version : Willie Ormond

RosComain
04-05-2012, 08:03 AM
Just finished bobby johnstones biography and realised today marks the 28th anniversary of the sad passing of Willie Ormond at the age of 57. I'm sure a lot of posters here know all about Willies career and some of you were lucky enough to see him play. For anyone not aware of his remarkable football achievements here is a brief rundown of some of the highlights: 15 years, 147 league goals, 3 championships, 3 cup finals for hibs and the last of the 5 to leave. 6 Scotland caps and 10 Scottish league caps, managed st johnstone into Europe, led Scotland unbeaten at the 1974 world cup, managed hearts for 3 years (I think we can forgive him that!) and became Eddie Turnbulls assistant towards the end before briefly taking the managers job at hibs. A true legend who died too young. The thing that stands out for me is the lack of a biography of Willie Ormond. I've read Turnbull and Reillys autobiographies as well as Johnstones biography and smiths is next, would be fantastic if one of the great authors of hibs books could research and produce a book about such an amazing servant to hibs and Scotland. Willie Ormond RIP.

ano hibby
04-05-2012, 08:14 AM
I'll second every word of that:agree::greengrin

IWasThere2016
04-05-2012, 08:16 AM
Great shout :agree:

Golden Bear
04-05-2012, 08:23 AM
It's difficult to believe that it's now 28 years since Willie Ormond's death. I never saw Willie as a player but I do remember his short spell as Hibernian Manager following Eddie Turnbull's resignation. By all accounts he was a great player and he must be one of an elite band who have Managed both Hibs & Hearts (not to mention a successful spell as Manager of the national team)

Dan Sarf
04-05-2012, 08:24 AM
I can still picture him charging down the left wing like a wee terrier. Loved a cheeky back heeler. Sometimes swapped wings with Gordon Smith to baffle the full backs who'd never seen such a thing before. Never say die attitude. Came back from three leg breaks if I remember correctly. A true Hibs hero. Would love to read his story.

HibbyDave
04-05-2012, 09:27 AM
Willie grew up in Falkirk and was known to members of my mothers family (I think they lived in same street).