PDA

View Full Version : The Fear Factor

Dashing Bob S
03-05-2012, 01:26 PM
I can't understand some people. I was out with two friends the other night, both of whom are Yams, one of whom has been a season ticket holder for years. Neither of them are going to the game, both opting to watch it on the television. The non-ST holder is a wishy-washy Yam, so I could understand it of him. But when I quizzed the other guy, he said it was because he would be so nervous during the game, unless Hearts got a decent lead and cushion, that he just wouldn't enjoy the experience. And if they were to lose, he would be so despondent he wouldn't be able to ace getting on the couch home with jubilant Hibs buses and cars passing and taunting him.

I'm not making this into a Hibs-Hearts thing, because I've heard roughly the same sentiments expressed from some Hibs fans on this board.

I really everybody puts this behind them, and makes the most out of a unique occasion. Yes, it will be unpleasant for the losing supporters, but that's life. To achieve anything worthwhile, you have to be able to handle defeat.

Let's leave out the fear factor and roar Hibernian on to a Hampden triumph.

dmc1875
03-05-2012, 01:34 PM
I can't understand some people. I was out with two friends the other night, both of whom are Yams, one of whom has been a season ticket holder for years. Neither of them are going to the game, both opting to watch it on the television. The non-ST holder is a wishy-washy Yam, so I could understand it of him. But when I quizzed the other guy, he said it was because he would be so nervous during the game, unless Hearts got a decent lead and cushion, that he just wouldn't enjoy the experience. And if they were to lose, he would be so despondent he wouldn't be able to ace getting on the couch home with jubilant Hibs buses and cars passing and taunting him.

I'm not making this into a Hibs-Hearts thing, because I've heard roughly the same sentiments expressed from some Hibs fans on this board.

I really everybody puts this behind them, and makes the most out of a unique occasion. Yes, it will be unpleasant for the losing supporters, but that's life. To achieve anything worthwhile, you have to be able to handle defeat.

We're all going to be *****!ng ourselves from first to last whistle but would I pass up the chance of seeing Hibs win the cup? Especially against our fiercest rivals? No way.

Got to get behind the team, forget about losing and push us on to the biggest victory in the clubs history :flag::flag:

hibsbollah
03-05-2012, 01:35 PM
How you approach this game tells you a lot about what kind of person you are. Freudian analysis has nothing on the psyche of Edinburgh football fans approaching either a) perpetual paradise complete with celestial virgins and chauteau haut brion on tap or b) Being cast into the pits of hell eternally being forced to listen to Open all mics©.

oh, i forgot to add that i have a ticket and i cant ****ing wait :aok:

JohnStephens91
03-05-2012, 01:42 PM
Whenever I think about the cup final a chill goes right through me and all my hair stands on end. It usually happens anyway when it is a big game, I remember I was sh****ng my pants before the Aberdeen semi but it makes no difference to me. I'm nervous about the game, as I'm sure everyone is, but the Hibees will still be getting my unwavering support for 90 minutes. I'm not afraid of the game, I just turn into a huge bag of nerves until the whistle blows and the teams start playing.

Onion
03-05-2012, 01:54 PM

Sadly, I also have a few Yam pals who are generally decent chaps (figure that) and usually up for a bit of good hearted banter - but its been like getting blood out of a Hearts strip over the last few weeks. Eerily quiet, almost to the point of resembling humility. When pressed, it's clear that they are absolutely sh*tting their drawers over this Final like no other game in history :greengrin

lapsedhibee
03-05-2012, 01:58 PM

:agree: for Hibs fans - absolutely nothing to lose. Massive underdogs and we already get mercilessly taunted for our cup record - won't make any difference whatever to that if we lose. On the other hand if we win that's the end, for most of the rest of our lifetimes, of the big team spouting their pish. (Assuming they're even around to spout pish.)

Can fully understand your yam chums' reluctance though. They have everything to lose, and absolutely nothing to gain. They win the cup every other year anyway, because of their special relationship with it, so it's not much to celebrate even if they win. They're right to be soiling themselves.

1two
03-05-2012, 03:39 PM
Sadly, I also have a few Yam pals who are generally decent chaps (figure that) and usually up for a bit of good hearted banter - but its been like getting blood out of a Hearts strip over the last few weeks. Eerily quiet, almost to the point of resembling humility. When pressed, it's clear that they are absolutely sh*tting their drawers over this Final like no other game in history :greengrin

Haha, I like that - "like getting blood out a hearts strip" - I may use that one!

Mikey
03-05-2012, 03:43 PM

:flag:

One Day Soon
03-05-2012, 04:42 PM

Bob, WTF? :shocked:

HibsMax
03-05-2012, 04:48 PM
Obviously I want Hibs to win but my primary focus is to have a good time and meet lots of like-minded Hibees!

Springbank
03-05-2012, 05:17 PM
We need to use the Fear Factor to our complete and total advantage.

I'm planning to annihilate Jamie McDonald's already-shaky confidence between now and May 19th.

He's a truly terrible (and nervous) keeper.

Every single Evening News story on Hearts from now on you'll see me in there (username the ball is round) with the following simple and repetitive mantra for the Yams to read…

Jamie McDonald is a dodgy keeper. He is going to gift Hibs the cup.

1two
03-05-2012, 06:33 PM
We need to use the Fear Factor to our complete and total advantage.

I'm planning to annihilate Jamie McDonald's already-shaky confidence between now and May 19th.

He's a truly terrible (and nervous) keeper.

Every single Evening News story on Hearts from now on you'll see me in there (username the ball is round) with the following simple and repetitive mantra for the Yams to read…

This should be spread round all Hibbys

Jamie McDonald is a dodgy keeper. He is going to gift hibs the cup.

Mikey
03-05-2012, 06:36 PM

It would heap irony upon irony if their keeper has a howler and gives us a goal or two. He's perfectly capable of it.

Hibs should cut him a winner's medal if he does.

Phil D. Rolls
03-05-2012, 06:43 PM
What's to fear? We are going to win, it is written (somewhere).

We have waited 110 years to do this thing in style, and I can't think of a more Hibs way to do it than to beat our neighbours with the whole country watching. It is a poetic and noble way, the only way we know.

Their keeper is a clown, and they will be so busy worrying what Jamie McDonald is capable of to make any contribution to the game.

Imagine being one of the Yams that was responsible for losing the one thing they hold most dear. It must be awful for them, truly awful.

edinburghhibee
04-05-2012, 02:24 AM
Have I missed something I thought McDonald was a fairly safe keeper???:confused:

Pete
04-05-2012, 02:43 AM
:agree: for Hibs fans - absolutely nothing to lose. Massive underdogs and we already get mercilessly taunted for our cup record - won't make any difference whatever to that if we lose. On the other hand if we win that's the end, for most of the rest of our lifetimes, of the big team spouting their pish. (Assuming they're even around to spout pish.)

Can fully understand your yam chums' reluctance though. They have everything to lose, and absolutely nothing to gain. They win the cup every other year anyway, because of their special relationship with it, so it's not much to celebrate even if they win. They're right to be soiling themselves.

I have to disagree slightly and say that they do actually have something to gain. Another cup win and bragging rights.

The rest of the post is spot on and I don't understand why other hibees are nervous about this game. People say they are "****ting themselves" but I'd like to know why. Maybe if they actually looked at the facts...what's on offer and what there is to lose...their attitude might turn into one of excitement and anticipation without fear.

Man for man we are superior as a support and the numbers will be even on the day. Our team will take heart from this and give it their all. If you feel fear or nerves just turn it into positiveness...we're going to show up as a club and put them in their place.

Craig_in_Prague
04-05-2012, 06:23 AM
Have I missed something I thought McDonald was a fairly safe keeper???:confused:

Likewise!

Steve20
04-05-2012, 06:31 AM

He is no Craig Gordon, but yes he is quite a safe enough keeper.

The Falcon
04-05-2012, 06:39 AM

With you all the way Bob. Its a game of football, an important one but nonetheless a game of football. there will be periods in the game when things dont go our way, as there will be periods when they do, but when we are under the cosh or misplacing passes then we need to stay behind the team as we did at Pittodire.

I am not a singer or a shouter but I will be roaring with the S43 boys at Hampden.

soupy
04-05-2012, 06:40 AM

To be honest with you, I don't think he's any better/worse than Brown.

Ozyhibby
04-05-2012, 06:48 AM
Supporters of both Hearts and Hibs in my local have been going out their way to explain how crap their own team has been this season and that they fully expect the other lot to win.
It's a big game alright.

Dashing Bob S
04-05-2012, 02:39 PM
Bob, WTF? :shocked:

They banned fox hunting several years ago. What else is one to do?

hibs0666
04-05-2012, 02:48 PM
Obviously I want Hibs to win but my primary focus is to have a good time and meet lots of like-minded Hibees!

Obviously I want to have a good time and meet loads of like-minded Hibees but my primary focus is a Hibs win.:wink:

HUTCHYHIBBY
04-05-2012, 02:52 PM
Sadly, I also have a few Yam pals

Your post should've stopped there!

Baker9
04-05-2012, 03:01 PM

This is definitely the case, more so than before any other derby I can remember. They (Hearts friends) are usually very vocal but they are definitely feeling that something bad is going to happen. Remember that they are less developed than us and it may be some primitive force that only they can sense - watch for them raising their noses in the air and sniffing. We must encourage that fear at every opportunity.

Kris1875
04-05-2012, 03:10 PM
My cousin is a yam and he tells me they think hibs are handing back tickets which clearly shows we don't fancy it. Of course I wasn't slow or quiet in telling him what I thought of that everyone of them you know or meet need to be told this is our cup , our time they've had there fun we are Hibernian FC !!!! Ggtth !!!

bawheid
04-05-2012, 03:14 PM
McDonald is dodgy, there's no doubt about it.

I'm sure as he lines up on 19th May he'll be recalling the time he chucked one in against Hibs in the cup when on loan at Queen of the South.

There's not a single nervous cell in my body about this one.

We're winning it, and they're watching it.

:cb

dutchhibby
04-05-2012, 03:21 PM

thought that too, ive seen worse

Pete
04-05-2012, 03:25 PM
My cousin is a yam and he tells me they think hibs are handing back tickets which clearly shows we don't fancy it. Of course I wasn't slow or quiet in telling him what I thought of that everyone of them you know or meet need to be told this is our cup , our time they've had there fun we are Hibernian FC !!!! Ggtth !!!

All this stuff about us handing back tickets has been used quite a lot. This is them trying some sort of mind games to get us down and get them encouraged at the same time. Its so blatantly false and unbelievable and I don't think there is one person in the whole of scotland that actually believes this to be true.

They're desperate.

hibsbollah
04-05-2012, 04:18 PM
They banned fox hunting several years ago. What else is one to do?

Yachting. Its the future. The 'Cap'n Bob' moniker would suit you nicely, as would a yachting cap at a jaunty angle to set off the tweeds.

King Paddy
04-05-2012, 08:50 PM

My two Hearts buddies feel just the same, they are the favourites so that adds to the pressure
they are feeling. Let's face it on paper they should walk it, but how often does the underdog
come to the fore?. Example Hibbies, 1961 v Barcelona 3-2 to the underdog. Rangers leauge cup
semi's x2 underdog. Having said all that our record against the jamboo's since the begining of
time is pretty sh...., so hope springs eternal. :aok:

hibbie02
04-05-2012, 09:50 PM
Yachting. Its the future. The 'Cap'n Bob' moniker would suit you nicely, as would a yachting cap at a jaunty angle to set off the tweeds.

Is it too early to request Cap'n Bob to reveal his cup final attire? Surely with advance notice, we may all benefit from his guidance to win the sartorial advantage. :flag:

hibsbollah
04-05-2012, 10:03 PM
Is it too early to request Cap'n Bob to reveal his cup final attire? Surely with advance notice, we may all benefit from his guidance to win the sartorial advantage. :flag:

The 'sartorial advantage' is not up for grabs. We always win hands down. Hardly difficult given the local competition. But Bob's tips are always an invaluable guide, I agree.

Dashing Bob S
04-05-2012, 10:36 PM

Yes, as Hibsbollah has stated, if that one were even to be considered competitive, things would be in a sorry state indeed.

I'll probably wait till a few days before hand and get some weather forecasts, but there are other things to factor in like the amount of drinking planned before and after the game, Glasgow, modes of transport etc. Once I've made a decision on those nondurables, I'll start to put together some kind of concept in my head. Then I'll look at the existing wardrobe and see if I can fashion something from it. Start with the "Yogi Hughes" and work up, is my perennial early advice on such matters.

hibsbollah
04-05-2012, 10:43 PM

NO. He's a dodgy keeper. He's going to gift Hibs the cup. (repeat to fade).

Part/Time Supporter
05-05-2012, 07:08 AM

Did you see the Motherwell goal the other night? Primary school stuff.

Springbank
05-05-2012, 08:14 AM
<to the tune of Beatles "Lady Madonna">

Jamie McDonald
He's the keeper who
Gifted Hibs the Trophy
No more 1902

Jamie McDonald
Hero of the Day
Gifted Hibs the Trophy
Now the Jambos are g*y

Just a wee sing-song reminder to the neighbours that they have a perfect storm of
i) everything to lose in this Cup Final &
ii) a right jittery unconvincing goalie who is currently gifting goals to the opposition.
It's potentially all in his hands