PDA

View Full Version : Pat Stanton Testimonial

HUTCHYHIBBY
01-05-2012, 07:58 PM
Just looking through a few old programmes, 34 years ago yesterday, scary stuff!

OxoHibby
01-05-2012, 08:49 PM

That is scary. My first ever Hibs game. My brother took me into the enclosure in front of the old stand.
Can still remember spending most of the game watching the crowd more than the game

:thumbsup:

Alfred E Newman
01-05-2012, 08:57 PM
Paddy`s testimonial was a bit of an embarrassment to be honest.

iain nolan
01-05-2012, 09:08 PM
would like to know who played in his testimonial :flag:

HUTCHYHIBBY
01-05-2012, 09:24 PM
As per programme

Hibs

Alan Rough Partick
John Brownlie
Martin Buchan Man U
Pat Stanton
Gordon McQueen Man U
John Blackley Newcastle
Willie Murray
Ally MacLeod
Joe Jordan Man Utd
Jim O'Rourke Motherwell
Tony Higgins
Bobby Smith
Jackie McNamara
George Stewart
Des Bremner
Arthur Duncan

Celtic

Peter Latchford
Alan Sneddon
Andy Lynch
Roy Aitken
Johannes Edvaldsson
Ralph Callachan Newcastle
Eamonn Bannon Hearts
Jimmy Johnstone
Kenny Dalglish Liverpool
Lou Macari Man Utd
Johnny Doyle
Ronnie Glavin
George McCluskey
Joe Craig
Tom McAdam

lucky
01-05-2012, 09:25 PM
He deserves another one

HUTCHYHIBBY
01-05-2012, 09:50 PM
31 years ago on Thursday - Arthur Duncans Testimonial

Hibs

Jim McArthur
Jim Brown
Alan Sneddon
Billy McLaren
Jim Black
Craig Paterson
Jackie McNamara
Ralph Callachan
Ally MacLeod
Gordon Rae
Gordon Murray
Gary Murray
Joe Baker
John Connolly

International Select

Alan Rough
Danny McGrain
John Brownlie
Des Bremner
Alex McLeish
Iain Munro
Alex Edwards
Charlie Nicholas
Mark McGhee
Alex Cropley
Arthur Duncan
Jim Herriot
Eric Schaedler
Tony Higgins
Bobby Smith

Pretty Boy
02-05-2012, 06:27 AM
Sure I remember hearing that there was some 'interesting' half time entertainment at Pats testimonial?

I'm_cabbaged
02-05-2012, 06:51 AM
Sure I remember hearing that there was some 'interesting' half time entertainment at Pats testimonial?

Was only 8, but I'm sure there was a flute band? On a side note my dad gave my program away to somebody a few years ago!!

Stantons Angel
02-05-2012, 07:08 AM
This was a totally embarassment to Pat who had not long gone to Celtic. He should have had a bigger and more attractive team for his day bringing out more people into the stadium.

It was a tribute to him that so many Celtic supporters turned up too to honour a true HIBEE!

Makes my blood boil at the way this legend (and a real legend at that) was treated then and still now by the club he served so loyally!

My signed programme is in a frame with photos of him in both strips and behind his smile is sadness.

The man should not be forgotten and always remembered with reverence in the minds of all good HIBBIES.

The man they call GOD.... Pat Stanton!!

happiehibbie
02-05-2012, 07:21 AM
For me the best player I have seen at Easter Road

we use the words a lot on here the player is not Hibs class. I belive this is a player who set the standered HIBS CLASS

HUTCHYHIBBY
02-05-2012, 07:59 AM

I must admit i've very few memories of my early Hibs games, so cannae comment on that, I wish I knew what my first game was, but, haven't got the first idea.

HIBERNIAN-0762
02-05-2012, 10:28 AM
I was in the north enclosure and it was indeed an Irish flute band that was the half time "entertainment", they were pelted with pies and other items when they came round to our section and from memory weren't too happy about it.

Why the powers to be picked this band maybe works both ways, it was roundly criticized at the time and probably rightly so but lets not forget Pat's family connection with Michael Whelahan who was our co-founder and first ever captain.

We won 2-1 with Joe Jordan scoring the winner for us, he was one of my great Scotland heroes but when he took over the slime up the road I went right off him. :wink:

Still got the programme and was thinking of putting it up for sale somewhere for someone else to enjoy.

Met Pat many times, a gent and a legend and should never have went to Celtic but it's well documented he didn't like Ned very much and personally I think Ned was jealous of the admiration Pat had from the fans, just my opinion of course.

Pat Stanton :not worth

Green_one
02-05-2012, 11:42 AM
I was in the north enclosure and it was indeed an Irish flute band that was the half time "entertainment", they were pelted with pies and other items when they came round to our section and from memory weren't too happy about it.

Why the powers to be picked this band maybe works both ways, it was roundly criticized at the time and probably rightly so but lets not forget Pat's family connection with Michael Whelahan who was our co-founder and first ever captain.

Pat Stanton :not worth

The story I heard, directly from Pat when he owned that pub , was that they had an approach from a bunch of guys who said they would play at half time and pay their own way it. Thinking nothing of it they reluctantly agreed to allow it. No-one imagined the fat nutters at the back wearing a sort of ASDAs mock paramilitary atire of black beret and dark glasses. They looked laughable but they were sadly serious. They got a roasting from the Hibs support once they had got over the shock. The Celts lapped them up. :rolleyes:

Pat was not happy about it at all and realised the reaction. I also recall him saying that Joe Jordon complained about the treatment he got from the Celtic defence. I thought it was Roddy MacDonald he complained about but I d not see him of the team list.

ALF TUPPER
02-05-2012, 11:53 AM
Seem to recall Tommy Gemmell had a wee involvement too. Went up to the Celtic support who were all singing his name. Their end were lovin him conducting their singing.
Gemmell then takes off his Celtc top to reveal a Hibs one underneath. He turn his back on them and starts conducting the Hibs support. They hated it!! Lol

The flute band was an embarrassment. Never understood why?

Pat Stanton .......my boyhood hero.

Great guy :)

superfurryhibby
02-05-2012, 01:51 PM
This was a totally embarassment to Pat who had not long gone to Celtic. He should have had a bigger and more attractive team for his day bringing out more people into the stadium.

It was a tribute to him that so many Celtic supporters turned up too to honour a true HIBEE!

Makes my blood boil at the way this legend (and a real legend at that) was treated then and still now by the club he served so loyally!My signed programme is in a frame with photos of him in both strips and behind his smile is sadness.

The man should not be forgotten and always remembered with reverence in the minds of all good HIBBIES.

The man they call GOD.... Pat Stanton!!

Can you explain, not sure how the club have currently treated Pat badly, just curious?

My memory of the game is zilch. I was around 14 and went up there with the laddies from Prince Regent Street. Unfortunately, I had my daft brother with me, who was around five. Got him up and over the wall but spotted by the polis and promptly shown the way back out again. In those days there was nae question of getting money to pay my way in to Easter Road.

JimBHibees
02-05-2012, 01:54 PM
Paddy`s testimonial was a bit of an embarrassment to be honest.

Tend to agree seemed to be completely taken over by the Hoopy ones, even to the point of some Green flute band being allowed to lap the pitch at half time.