PDA

View Full Version : Darren Fletcher Retired?

SteveHFC
30-04-2012, 11:17 PM
http://taboard.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=137259

Rumours going around on twitter that Fletcher has retired

Sean1875
30-04-2012, 11:36 PM
Will be gutted if he has. Both from a Scotland point of view but also for the guy himself, improved massively the last few years and would be such a shame for it to all go to waste :boo hoo:

KWJ
01-05-2012, 12:32 AM
Really hope it's not true. He was on the radio a few weeks ago saying that he'd hope to be back for pre season. Certainly sounds like a horrible illness though.

alan1875
01-05-2012, 09:44 AM
I' be gutted for him, Scotland and Man Utd!

Love super Fletch..!! Please let this not be true.

Sudds_1
01-05-2012, 09:52 AM
Really hope it's not true. He was on the radio a few weeks ago saying that he'd hope to be back for pre season. Certainly sounds like a horrible illness though.

It is........I suffer from it as do many thousands of others. More common than you might think.

For the ordinary person it's not really an issue.......periods of wellness followed by periods of illness (not pleasant) but manageable with medication. For a Professional sportsman though, I can see why retirement might be an option, given the uncertainty of "well" periods, and the fact that it comes on with almost no notice.

01-05-2012, 11:04 AM
Real shame if true, really good player for club and country. Still had a good few years left in him so very sad if its been cut short through illness :(

Winston Ingram
01-05-2012, 11:09 AM
Fourth Offical on Twitter was saying this this morning

R'Albin
01-05-2012, 11:24 AM
That's awful news, though it's obviously not worth carrying on if it's going to risk his health in anyway.

So is there no permanent cure to the illness?

Sudds_1
01-05-2012, 11:38 AM
That's awful news, though it's obviously not worth carrying on if it's going to risk his health in anyway.

So is there no permanent cure to the illness?

No cure..............its a strange one.

Medics don't know what causes it either. Managed by lifetime medication........and the odd hospitalisation when it gets bad

basehibby
01-05-2012, 11:59 AM
What a crying shame - hope he can find a solution to his ailment. Disastrous from a Scotland POV but moreso tragic for Darren personally - I know he's made for life fiancially, but he's one of these guys that obviously just loves playing and would walk a thousand miles to play - particularly for his country. Fingers crossed for him that he can find a suitable treatment.

R'Albin
01-05-2012, 12:58 PM

Medics don't know what causes it either. Managed by lifetime medication........and the odd hospitalisation when it gets bad

That is a bit weird.

That must be a horrible thing to have to put up with, does it occur often through the year?

yeezus.
01-05-2012, 01:05 PM
I herd from a Man United fan that he is retiring due to the severity of his stomach problem :rolleyes:

vahibbie
01-05-2012, 02:39 PM

I have it as well. Major surgery makes it "almost" go away. It's not perfect but so much better than the condition itself. I played footie after surgery.....not quite Man U standard of course. Also know a young lad in Edinburgh who had surgery last year and is still playing at a decent level. Hopefully Fletch has options:agree:

Keith_M
01-05-2012, 04:20 PM
Excuse my ignorance but what illness does he have?

1two
01-05-2012, 07:00 PM
Excuse my ignorance but what illness does he have?

ulcerative colitis

it was eplained to me that ulcers swell and close up your intestine and needs steroids to clear up although will never be cured.
not a nice illness.
removal of the intestine is the only 'cure' i think?

Sean1875
05-05-2012, 09:00 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17971264

Aiming to come back for pre-season, good news :agree: