PDA

View Full Version : Ross County

Famous Fiver
30-04-2012, 05:56 PM
Just listening to Sportsound.

Dingwall has a population of less than 5,000. Ross County have an avarage home gate of less than 2,000. Their manager had an undistinguished spell as Assistant Manager at Hibs.

Yet they are now in the Premier League!!!

Edinburgh, (not including hinterland) has a population circa 500,000. Hibs have an average home gate of 8/10,000.
Our players budget is probably four or five times the size of theirs.

We are looking at being in the First Division next season.

I can't get my head round it.

Discuss.

yeezus.
30-04-2012, 05:58 PM

Dingwall has a population of less than 5,000. Ross County have an avarage home gate of less than 2,000. Their manager had an undistinguished spell as Assistant Manager at Hibs.

Edinburgh, (not including hinterland) has a population circa 500,000. Hibs have an average home gate of 8/10,000.

Discuss.

Me neither.

--------
30-04-2012, 05:59 PM

Discuss.

Could it be that the folks who run the Staggies know what they're doing, and the folks who run Hibs don't?

Hibs didn't get where they are today without a lot of persistent, dedicated complacency and incompetence.

MSK
30-04-2012, 06:09 PM

Discuss.Yip ..they deserve it dont they ..

Scouse Hibee
30-04-2012, 06:18 PM

Discuss.

They played this season in the first division we are playing in the Premier league therefore there is absolutely no comparison to be made....simple!

Scorrie
30-04-2012, 06:21 PM
Perhaps it is thier manager? Mebbe we should have had Adams as the main man rather than assistant to CC. Strange episode that...

Dashing Bob S
30-04-2012, 06:28 PM
Could it be that the folks who run the Staggies know what they're doing, and the folks who run Hibs don't?

Hibs didn't get where they are today without a lot of persistent, dedicated complacency and incompetence.

I think the incredible lack of ambition in Scottish football is staggering, and Hibs, along with Hearts and Aberdeen, are the biggest culprits. None of those clubs should be accepting being outside the top five. Ever.

Instead:

Jambos - petty and ludicrous delusions of grandeur, happy to live in a parallel fantasy world where they are Real Madrid
Aberdeen - living in the past days of former glories
Hibs - not really that bothered about having a decent team, we have the stadium, training ground, these things come in cycles, it'll all sort itself out etc etc.

Gatecrasher
30-04-2012, 06:32 PM
if football was that easy it would be more boring than it already is. there are reasons why we are in the mess we are in but we'll be back

theonlywayisup
30-04-2012, 06:40 PM

Dingwall has a population of less than 5,000. Ross County have an average home gate of less than 2,000. Their manager had an undistinguished spell as Assistant Manager at Hibs.

Re the ratio between population and average gate, the details you show is slightly misleading!

Whilst the pop of Dingwall is around 5k, the population of Ross & Cromarty including the Wester and Easter Ross is closer to 50k. The large majority of which will support the local team, whether they be persons who originate from the area when they were a Highland League team and had a senior 'second' club, or incomers to the area, who are happy to support the local team, as their 'first' team is so far away. For example, a lot of those who travelled to the 2010 Cup Final would have supported a range of SPL teams, particularly the Old Firm and Aberdeen.

I predict that Ross County will have bigger home crowds next season than many of the recent promoted clubs!

seven nowt
01-05-2012, 08:33 AM
Perhaps it is thier manager? Mebbe we should have had Adams as the main man rather than assistant to CC. Strange episode that...

We definitely should have had him in charge. With no Calderwood as assistant! I said this when he was at the club. He is a great manager - Manager of the Year by a mile.

--------
01-05-2012, 09:42 AM
I think the incredible lack of ambition in Scottish football is staggering, and Hibs, along with Hearts and Aberdeen, are the biggest culprits. None of those clubs should be accepting being outside the top five. Ever.

Instead:

Jambos - petty and ludicrous delusions of grandeur, happy to live in a parallel fantasy world where they are Real Madrid
Hibs - not really that bothered about having a decent team, we have the stadium, training ground, these things come in cycles, it'll all sort itself out etc etc.

I think you've put the problem in a nutshell, Bob. Farmer and Petrie seem to me to have taken the view that now they have the stadium and the training ground in place, everything regarding the team will sort itself out without them doing anything much about it. They seem to have been thinking this since the team was gutted after the 2007 League Cup win, which is why for the last 5 years Hibs have been rotating in ever-smaller circles, signing vast numbers of mediocre players one window, releasing them the next window, and repeating the dose ad nauseam until, like the OOYAH bird, they disappear up their own anal orifices ....

if football was that easy it would be more boring than it already is. there are reasons why we are in the mess we are in but we'll be back

There are indeed reasons why Hibs are the shambles they are. Personally, I don't find the incompetence and complacency of the past 5 years in any way entertaining or exciting. And while we have the present regime in control at ER, I'm very far from convinced that there IS a way back for Hibs.

Which leaves me very angry indeed.

lobster
01-05-2012, 10:06 AM
Ross County have a well thought out strategy that works for the position they are in. Good luck to them. Hibs (and those hanging on to the coat tails of the old firm just off the pace) have been fighting fires since god knows when. If Ross County are successful they will find themselves hanging on to the coat tails of the old firm just off the pace just like us.

The problem is bigger than Hibs or Aberdeen et al, it extends to the economic orrthodoxy of the last three decades where people like Berlusconi have been able to distort the game out of all proportion by turning it into an elite structure where the door is slightly ajar for those who want to hang on to the coat tails of the elite...etc etc.

For us in Scotland we should take the lead and abolish live TV football, play games on Saturday afternoons at 3pm and introduce an 18 team league playing each team once home and away.
Let the opther leagues prostitute and dilute themselves for a quick buck. We can watch that on monday nights, tuesday nights etc but keep our game alive

Nice dream :wink:

HibeeEmma
01-05-2012, 10:25 AM

Discuss.

Our strategies are wrong and not working for us. We have had a number of managers through the door and PF deserves a bit of time to prove himself.
We have improved - (minus the last 2 games), we were unbeaten against bottom 6 teams since he started. Not a great stat but better than what we had.

Andy74
01-05-2012, 10:34 AM
Our strategies are wrong and not working for us. We have had a number of managers through the door and PF deserves a bit of time to prove himself.
We have improved - (minus the last 2 games), we were unbeaten against bottom 6 teams since he started. Not a great stat but better than what we had.

Having a number of managers wasn't a strategy, the ones we appointed just didn't work. The strategy was for them to be succesful and they were all backed.

As has been pointed out you can hardly compare the teams or the clubs. They have also sacked Adams, brought in Calderwood, got rid of him and re-appointed Adams again.

01-05-2012, 10:57 AM

Instead:

Spot on :agree:

hibstag
01-05-2012, 11:16 AM
Re the ratio between population and average gate, the details you show is slightly misleading!

Whilst the pop of Dingwall is around 5k, the population of Ross & Cromarty including the Wester and Easter Ross is closer to 50k. The large majority of which will support the local team, whether they be persons who originate from the area when they were a Highland League team and had a senior 'second' club, or incomers to the area, who are happy to support the local team, as their 'first' team is so far away. For example, a lot of those who travelled to the 2010 Cup Final would have supported a range of SPL teams, particularly the Old Firm and Aberdeen.

I predict that Ross County will have bigger home crowds next season than many of the recent promoted clubs!

I am kinda in that bracket (hence the username) Been a hibby all my days and live in edinburgh and a STH but grew up in dingwall so have a large soft spot for 'the county' both my brothers and my Dad who all still live up north are 'hibstags' too although they have a ST for victoria park. so i have been to a few county games in my time

When county made the Semi and then SCF in 2010 it was like a school renunion in the Florida Park inn on both occasions with guys and girls from all over Scotland. County have the ability to hold a 3-4000 crowd next year whether playing well or not because as with caley the away (and sometimes the home)support is swelled with locals who follow the visiting side.

Iam looking Forward to some revenge for THAT cup game next season

Northern Hibby
01-05-2012, 12:32 PM
Ross County were in the 1st division and along with several other 1st division clubs had a real chance of winning it, Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen and the rest have resigned themselves (along with most of us) to the fact that they won't win the league

Part/Time Supporter
01-05-2012, 12:35 PM
Having a number of managers wasn't a strategy, the ones we appointed just didn't work. The strategy was for them to be succesful and they were all backed.

As has been pointed out you can hardly compare the teams or the clubs. They have also sacked Adams, brought in Calderwood, got rid of him and re-appointed Adams again.

Last season they appointed a manager and sacked him after 10 games (W McStay).

Hibercelona
01-05-2012, 12:42 PM

It's actually very simple.

Other clubs do this thing called "the basics". Which is basically scoring more goals than they conceed.

But not here at Hibs. "The basics" aren't "Hibs class".

basehibby
01-05-2012, 12:55 PM

Discuss.

Staggies fans are understandably excited with a team that is genuinely exceeding expectations and massively overachieving.

Whereas vast swathes of Hibs fans have been battered into a state of despondency by years nay decades of false dawns and chronic underachievement - no better an example of which is the dire relegation form displayed over the last 2 seasons and more. THAT is the difference!

Famous5forever
01-05-2012, 01:53 PM
We definitely should have had him in charge. With no Calderwood as assistant! I said this when he was at the club. He is a great manager - Manager of the Year by a mile.

Got to agree with you on this.