PDA

View Full Version : Hibs Family

Lester B
30-04-2012, 12:35 PM
Hardly ever post on here. I'm a blether in real life but on t'internet happier to read others' views. Was going to post this couple of weeks back and then on the Tam McCourt thread but note that's closed.

My old man died a few weeks ago. A bigger Hibbie it would be hard to find. We had his funeral do at ER - he would have loved that. On Easter Sunday the day before the funeral I was up at the crack of dawn to deliver some booze to ER for the toast to my dad. Arrived too early and having reported I was there and why wandered off outside to wait. There was a game that day. Someone I didn't know in Hibs kit came up to me, said he had overheard and expressed his sincere condolences. Asked who he was and he told me he was Tam McCourt. We spent 15 minutes chatting about the loss of nearest and dearest and of course football and in the worst week of my life I felt lifted a bit. A true gentleman.

At the do one of my dad's neighbours came along with his son who plays for Hibs. This kid was a credit to himself at such a young age and was kind and charming. The club were also very kind in allowing us to display items that my dad had donated to the Trust at the do itself

My old man first took me to Hampden in 1979. Going to be strange going there without him. He always said he would never go until we won the Cup and I'm hoping that, unusually for him, his timing was just a few weeks out. I promised him I'd go to the Foot of the Walk if we did win.

Is there a point to these stories? I hope so. Things are dire just now. We've seen it before and we'll get through it. We'll be back. But Hibs are part of all of us. Don't you forget it because he never let me either.

Thanks for reading this!

DH1875
30-04-2012, 12:43 PM
Beautiful, just beautiful. Sorry for your loss and hope we do it for your old man :aok:.

Seveno
30-04-2012, 12:47 PM
Thanks for posting this. It's nice to remind people what our Club is really all about.

My condolences on the loss of your Dad and I hope that he will be looking down on you with a smile in a few weeks time.

Hibercelona
30-04-2012, 12:48 PM
:top marks

sleeping giant
30-04-2012, 12:49 PM
Sorry to hear about your Dad.

You'll be thinking of him when we lift that Cup at last :flag:

ano hibby
30-04-2012, 12:55 PM
Glad you posted that. Very sorry for your loss.
There is some emotion building up to this game. Hope we do it for your Dad and many many others who have suffered much longer than i have.

Golden Bear
30-04-2012, 01:00 PM
Hardly ever post on here. I'm a blether in real life but on t'internet happier to read others' views. Was going to post this couple of weeks back and then on the Tam McCourt thread but note that's closed.

My old man died a few weeks ago. A bigger Hibbie it would be hard to find. We had his funeral do at ER - he would have loved that. On Easter Sunday the day before the funeral I was up at the crack of dawn to deliver some booze to ER for the toast to my dad. Arrived too early and having reported I was there and why wandered off outside to wait. There was a game that day. Someone I didn't know in Hibs kit came up to me, said he had overheard and expressed his sincere condolences. Asked who he was and he told me he was Tam McCourt. We spent 15 minutes chatting about the loss of nearest and dearest and of course football and in the worst week of my life I felt lifted a bit. A true gentleman.

At the do one of my dad's neighbours came along with his son who plays for Hibs. This kid was a credit to himself at such a young age and was kind and charming. The club were also very kind in allowing us to display items that my dad had donated to the Trust at the do itself

My old man first took me to Hampden in 1979. Going to be strange going there without him. He always said he would never go until we won the Cup and I'm hoping that, unusually for him, his timing was just a few weeks out. I promised him I'd go to the Foot of the Walk if we did win.

Is there a point to these stories? I hope so. Things are dire just now. We've seen it before and we'll get through it. We'll be back. But Hibs are part of all of us. Don't you forget it because he never let me either.

Thanks for reading this!

Straight from the heart and I share your sentiments.

happiehibbie
30-04-2012, 01:00 PM

N.Wales Hibby
30-04-2012, 01:01 PM
Sorry for your loss Lester. Hope we can do it for your Dad and others who are no longer here.

Lester B
30-04-2012, 01:03 PM
Sorry for your loss Lester. Hope we can do it for your Dad and others who are no longer here.

Think we'll all be thinking of absent friends on the 19th Cyprus, win or lose.

N.Wales Hibby
30-04-2012, 01:17 PM
Mrs Cyprus Hibby just read these posts and burst into tears. She said,what a lovely story and for people to write such nice replies.. That sums us up for me. GGTTH

Hibernia&Alba
30-04-2012, 01:23 PM
Very well said, Lester. Poignant and uplifting. You should post more often :aok:

Lester B
30-04-2012, 01:32 PM
Very well said, Lester. Poignant and uplifting. You should post more often :aok:

Thanks. Well there is the story of my old man and his Jambo father in law on New Years Day 1973......

Thanks to all for the kind words. For future reference on 19th May I would hope to be sitting on the benches opposite Crown Street (where Johnny was brought up) in the evening wearing my lucky Golf Punk T shirt and Green shirt and not knowing whether to laugh or cry. I will have mates propping me up. They will honour my promise to dad too. The words 'you are Lester B and I claim my pint' will be honoured in full.

And sorry to Mrs Cyprus. Was trying to be inspirational not maudlin! :rolleyes:

N.Wales Hibby
30-04-2012, 01:45 PM
Thanks. Well there is the story of my old man and his Jambo father in law on New Years Day 1973......

Thanks to all for the kind words. For future reference on 19th May I would hope to be sitting on the benches opposite Crown Street (where Johnny was brought up) in the evening wearing my lucky Golf Punk T shirt and Green shirt and not knowing whether to laugh or cry. I will have mates propping me up. They will honour my promise to dad too. The words 'you are Lester B and I claim my pint' will be honoured in full.

Don't be. She was inspired by the story and touched by the kindness and understanding of your fellow Hibby's.

s.a.m
30-04-2012, 01:53 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss, and thanks for posting your story.:aok:

vercol36
30-04-2012, 01:54 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss. My grandad (a big Hibby) died at Christmas time, and was thinking about taking a photo of him to the cup final, so he could finally see Hibs lift the cup. Maybe you could do the same thing with a photo of your pa?

London Hibs FC
30-04-2012, 02:00 PM
Mrs Cyprus Hibby just read these posts and burst into tears. She said,what a lovely story and for people to write such nice replies.. That sums us up for me. GGTTH

I thought of you as soon as I read Lester's post............

You always reminded me to "gie Grandad a wee wave'' every time we would leave Easter Road together and I've maintained this tradition on all the visits I've made without you.

With five generations having Hibs' blood flowing through our veins, our family is intrinsically intertwined with the Club and I know that there are many more who share our story thus making the 19th May a truly special day.

GGTTHF :agree:

Sudds_1
30-04-2012, 02:10 PM
I was actually thinking the other day the thousands of departed souls who will be looking down on the 19th .............and how we differ from the Merricks in that regard...

.......... In their eyes , lifting the Cup is simply another chance to get one up on us and brag. We do have that driver also :rolleyes: - but for me the winning of the Scottish Cup is much, much deeper and means so much more than simply one upmanship over our City rivals.

Grown men and women will be greeting for a whole host of reasons - be it late family, friends etc who didnt live to see the moment (me included).....or indeed thoughts of all those people who deserved to see it, but didnt.......

It will be a very emotional day. For the Hibs family that Lester, his dad and so many others belong to. I hope those kindred spirits can use whatever influence they have to make us greet down here .....in memory of them. :flag:

London Hibs FC
30-04-2012, 02:11 PM

Mrs. Cyprus will be bubblin' along with the rest of the family on the 19th, she winds Dad and I up but will be so happy when we eventually lift this Cup ..... probably due to the false thought that we may actually 'move on' after 110 years of wondering if this is 'our year'.

Wait till she sees the state we get ourselves into next year when we attempt to retain the thing :wink:

Ach, call me a dreamer....... I blame my Dad for that!

Lester B
30-04-2012, 02:53 PM
Ach, call me a dreamer....... I blame my Dad for that!

Well that's summed up in one sentence exactly how I've felt since the start of this month. Thanks.:greengrin

Hibrandenburg
30-04-2012, 03:43 PM

Thanks for reading this!

Beautiful post Lester. Hibs may not be the be all and end all of life but it's one of the things that make life worth living and is a big part what makes us what we are. My old boy also took me to that game in 1979 and will be with me (if only in spirit) on the 19th.

There must be a whole legion of past on Hibees ready to cheer on the cabbage and put this jinx to rest. But even if we don't win then so what? It's what we are and we can always hold our heads up high.

Glory to the Hibees Legion!

Stantons Angel
30-04-2012, 04:16 PM
]Sorry to hear about your loss. My grandad (a big Hibby) died at Christmas time, and was thinking about taking a photo of him to the cup final, so he could finally see Hibs lift the cup. Maybe you could do the same thing with a photo of your pa?

That is such a nice thought for your grandad.

The Hibernian family have lost quite a few stalwarts who would have loved to see them lift this cup.

My friends Wattie, Maude, Flash and Ricky will be looking down on them on may 19th and i hope that they too along with your grandad, will play their part in helping us win that cup !!

So sorry for the loss of any Hibee.

JoeT_WasTheBest
30-04-2012, 04:43 PM
Beautiful OP.

fit o' the walk
30-04-2012, 05:18 PM
Nice post Lester B,thats what being a Hibby is all about.Brings back memories of my Ma.She lived near the "fit o the walk" in Leith.She just longed for the day when she could look out of her window and see the open top bus with the Hibs team bringing back the Cup.Alas she died before that happened albeit a few years ago now.She was buried on my Birthday and "Sunshine on Leith" was the last song played at her funeral.Hopefully she will be looking out from her window above on the 19th May and finally sees that open topped bus with the Scottish Cup proudly held aloft and her beloved Leith partying like it's never done before.RIP Ma xx

Hibernia&Alba
30-04-2012, 05:19 PM
Nice post Lester B,thats what being a Hibby is all about.Brings back memories of my Ma.She lived near the "fit o the walk" in Leith.She just longed for the day when she could look out of her window and see the open top bus with the Hibs team bringing back the Cup.Alas she died before that happened albeit a few years ago now.She was buried on my Birthday and "Sunshine on Leith" was the last song played at her funeral.Hopefully she will be looking out from her window above on the 19th May and finally sees that open topped bus with the Scottish Cup proudly held aloft and her beloved Leith partying like it's never done before.RIP Ma xx

That's a lovely story, too. I'll be greeting next.

NAE NOOKIE
30-04-2012, 05:29 PM
Just a great post.

Cant be many on here who wont be thinking of a family member, friend or acquaintance who will be missing ( in body at least ) on the 19th.

hibsbollah
30-04-2012, 05:46 PM
I was about to take a month long break from this board to escape the negativity and crushing cynicism, (as well as the utter stupidity and ignorance on football matters) but that post has just changed my mind.

:top marks

Dinkydoo
30-04-2012, 08:44 PM
I don't usually post on these types of threads simply because i'm scared of sounding cheesy or insincere but I just had to thank you for posting Lester.

I'm also sorry to hear about your dad.

Sammy7nil
30-04-2012, 09:13 PM
Sorry for your loss a great post.

My dad was a big Hibby too he died at ER during a Celtic game. I keep think this year will be our year I am still waiting, I hope Hibs lift the cup this year in memory of your dad and all our dads that have missed out on a cup win.

Lester B
30-04-2012, 09:29 PM

My dad was a big Hibby too he died at ER during a Celtic game. I keep think this year will be our year I am still waiting, I hope Hibs lift the cup this year in memory of your dad and all our dads that have missed out on a cup win.

God that's terrible. My old man saw the Famous Five and Turnbull's Tornadoes and maybe yours did too? Maybe this is our year. And even if it isn't we're still lucky because our old boys taught us well about what team to support.:flag:

spike220
30-04-2012, 09:30 PM
This is what hibs is all about, we will have our ups and downs but the most important thing is that we preserve the club for future generations. I didnt quite get this when I was a lad I would have have taken glory at any expense. But Hibs is much more than the the set of of last seasons results. Win or lose Hibs will still be there and Hibs is my club. Well done cyprus for brining some humanity back to these boards. All the the best to you and your loved ones your old man will be real proud of you on the 19th ad will be with win or lose.

A great reminder to us all that we stand on the shoulders of past generations!

GGTTH

CropleyWasGod
30-04-2012, 09:35 PM
My old man, 81, was taken into hospital tonight. Circulation problems.

I went in to see him, and his left foot was all bandaged up. "That's you not playing in the Final, then."

"I might not even get to the game", says he.

The look on my mother's face told me there's no way he'll get anywhere near Hampden. Might be in the ERI for a few weeks yet.

Just as bloody well... the auld bugger's a jinx. So was his old man, who was born in 1905.... :rolleyes:

Still, the ERI might yet see an almighty party...

fat freddy
30-04-2012, 10:15 PM
one of life's inevitable experiences is the loss of your parents and the things that tie us to our parents are shared experiences...to many young boys their most impressionable shared experience with their father was going to the football and that is where football clubs get their next generation of fans...hibs and dads make a potent cocktail of emotion and im sure im not alone in thinking of my dads legacy to me in the weeks leading up to the cup final...i often think what my life would have been like if i hadn't been burdened by hibs and all the disappointment that they've brought to me but its a pointless excercise as you cant take away what you've been given..dads have a lot to answer for but if hibs win on the 19th all will be forgiven...

to all the departed dads who have dragged their kids along to easter road...i salute you!

Dashing Bob S
30-04-2012, 10:31 PM
I was actually thinking the other day the thousands of departed souls who will be looking down on the 19th .............and how we differ from the Merricks in that regard...

.......... In their eyes , lifting the Cup is simply another chance to get one up on us and brag. We do have that driver also :rolleyes: - but for me the winning of the Scottish Cup is much, much deeper and means so much more than simply one upmanship over our City rivals.

Grown men and women will be greeting for a whole host of reasons - be it late family, friends etc who didnt live to see the moment (me included).....or indeed thoughts of all those people who deserved to see it, but didnt.......

It will be a very emotional day. For the Hibs family that Lester, his dad and so many others belong to. I hope those kindred spirits can use whatever influence they have to make us greet down here .....in memory of them. :flag:

I don't we think we do differ from them. I was out for a drink at the weekend with a Hearts supporting pal, and after the usual wind ups (our Scottish Cup record, 22 derby games without defeat -him, 7-0, 6-2, Albert Kidd - me) we started talking about deceased family members, (we both know each other's families very well -ironically most of mine are Yams and most of his Hibbies) and wishing they could be there to share the big day.

It was quite a moving an emotional evening. And to be fair, behind the usual moronic ritual nonsense of fandom, (of which there will be loads more) I've detected an emerging grace between Hibbies and Jambos of my acquaintance, largely because I think people are recognizing the day in those terms.

Bishop Hibee
30-04-2012, 10:35 PM
In recent times I've wondered if I did the right thing passing on the Hibernian 'bug' to my kids.

Then I think back to sitting in the old North Stand as a kid behind my grandpa, watching the game through a haze of pipe smoke with him telling stories of the 1920's team. Then on to my dad and uncles discussing the Famous Five, Turnbull's Tornadoes and all.

I think of my older two boys at the League Cup Final in 2007 and the joy on their faces as we lifted the cup.

I remember being just about to enter the stadium for the first semi v the Pars in 2007 when my wife phoned to say my dad who'd been very ill had passed away earlier that morning. My mum hadn't wanted her to phone me earlier as we wouldn't have gone to the game which wouldn't have been what my dad would have wanted. Mad? Maybe.

The OP hits the nail on the head. Win or lose the final. Stay up or go down, Hibs are a part of who we are, who my family is and who I am and I think I like it that way.

Jonnyboy
30-04-2012, 10:37 PM
Lester, I'm sorry for your loss and thank you for your very moving post

Sammy, your post (highlighted) says all I want to say, thank you

Hibby D
30-04-2012, 10:43 PM
What a superb thread.

I know that sounds daft when we're talking losing our parents and my sincere condolences go out to you Lester, but really, what an inspiring and uplifting op.

Here's a link to an article written by a .net regular. Read with Lester's post in mind it will move you beyond words

http://blogfeast.wordpress.com/2012/04/17/spending-some-time-with-the-family/

:aok:

Jamesie
30-04-2012, 10:51 PM
Reading this thread keeps bringing me back to this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPXCNwBu_t8

And, about 40 seconds in, a man who himself had lost a parent very shortly before that Final. I really hope we're all taking part in similar scenes on 19th May in memory of those who have gone before us.

Sammy7nil
30-04-2012, 11:16 PM
What a superb thread.

I know that sounds daft when we're talking losing our parents and my sincere condolences go out to you Lester, but really, what an inspiring and uplifting op.

Here's a link to an article written by a .net regular. Read with Lester's post in mind it will move you beyond words

:aok::top marks:aok:

Stantons Angel
01-05-2012, 12:04 AM
The OP hits the nail on the head. Win or lose the final. Stay up or go down, Hibs are a part of who we are, who my family is and who I am and I think I like it that way.[/QUOTE]

This is exactly what it means to be part of the Hibernian familly, when you lose someone close you feel alone, hurt and aprehensive of what lies ahead. Like the op i too lost a parent i loved and adored in my mum.

She knew nothing about football or why I was hooked on it and always laughed when id come home and say "thats it im not going back!" she would nod her head and say " you said that last week too". Or if id been off school or work sick she'd always say "aye you might be ill just now, but you will be making a miraculous recovery come Saturday".

She always said my son didnt have a chance as he was born in a Hibs strip! She introduced me to her doctor one day and told him that she had better not die on a Saturday cause id be watching the Hibs! Being a mum she understood my passion for my football team and always respected my love for it.

Supporting Hibs is usually a family thing,passed down through generations and i too have some great memories of taking my son to Easter Road when he was very young. He spent most of the time sitting with his back to the game playing with the gravel on the terracing. In between visits to the toilet, much to his dads annoyance.

Its times like this when families can come together to witness history in the making on our great day on May 19th ... together! Win lose or draw it will be a great memory for families travelling together, watching the game together and either laughing or crying at the final whistle.

Iits things like this that makes Hibs such a special part of peoples lives. The memories, the passion and the excitement make it a memory not to be forgotten.

Whilst my mum will probably be looking down on us at Hampden,my son and I will be part of the Hibernian family hoping God is on our side!

Lets hope we can give them all a brilliant day out HIBS!

Hibernia&Alba
01-05-2012, 01:40 AM
My old man, 81, was taken into hospital tonight. Circulation problems.

I went in to see him, and his left foot was all bandaged up. "That's you not playing in the Final, then."

"I might not even get to the game", says he.

The look on my mother's face told me there's no way he'll get anywhere near Hampden. Might be in the ERI for a few weeks yet.

Just as bloody well... the auld bugger's a jinx. So was his old man, who was born in 1905.... :rolleyes:

Still, the ERI might yet see an almighty party...

If we win, you sneak in a bottle of his favourite tipple, CWG. At 81 he deserves a cup winning drink!

Great thread, full of humanity and love. Whether we win or lose, it all transcends a game of football.

edinburghhibee
01-05-2012, 01:52 AM
I'm sorry for your loss and hopefully the kind words found on this thread give you and your family some comfort. This thread is exactly what being a football fan is all about. At every club we are all together in this as one. We celebrate as one we hurt as one. I am going to the final on the 19th with my old man, my uncle and my cousin we follow hibs everywhere we possibly can. No matter what though, never mind what I would give to see hibs win the cup... I would give double to see my old mans face if we win. Think we should all remember the many great men and women we have lost over the years while blasting out sunshine on leith after the final whistle regardless of the score... show some hibs class! You think the party would be big here??? Imaging the one they will have up there if we come home winners!!!!!

:flag::pfgwa:flag:

NAE NOOKIE
01-05-2012, 06:52 AM
I don't we think we do differ from them. I was out for a drink at the weekend with a Hearts supporting pal, and after the usual wind ups (our Scottish Cup record, 22 derby games without defeat -him, 7-0, 6-2, Albert Kidd - me) we started talking about deceased family members, (we both know each other's families very well -ironically most of mine are Yams and most of his Hibbies) and wishing they could be there to share the big day.

It was quite a moving an emotional evening. And to be fair, behind the usual moronic ritual nonsense of fandom, (of which there will be loads more) I've detected an emerging grace between Hibbies and Jambos of my acquaintance, largely because I think people are recognizing the day in those terms.

Trust you to sum it up perfectly Mr S.

I think that you could find this thread on any fans forum from Aberdeen to York City.

There is a lot of rubbish written and spoken by folk who aint in to the beautiful game about tribalism and stuff. Though that is part of the fun, they always miss the fact that supporting a football club brings people together in a common bond like IMO nothing else can.

Thats why 'family' is a good way to describe it ... Men women boys & girls ... and like any family we fight argue and disagree. But heaven help any outsider who tries to diss out family ... Then like any family should we stick together.

The difference between us and a lot of clubs ( but not all ) is that we are bound by adversity a lot of the time.

Whatever happens on the 19th ........... Remember this thread :thumbsup:

Lester B
01-05-2012, 10:11 AM
What a superb thread.

Absolutely incredible piece of writing that and puts it better than I ever could. The details for me in terms of people would be different as they would be for all of us but the feelings behind it are exactly the same for me. A thousand thanks for posting a link to that and thanks to all of you for kind words and sharing your own feelings about those who won't be with us in body on 19th. When put up the orginal post I hoped it would resonate with others who had experienced the same emotional reaction in terms of Hibs being part of their family. Clearly it did.

HibeeEmma
01-05-2012, 10:35 AM
I feel we should be printing these posts out and sending them to PF

HNA2
01-05-2012, 10:51 AM
I am fortunate enough to still have my dad but he is too ill to come to hampden. He hasn't made Easter road for a couple of seasons but i always give him a full report of our day and how we've done and listen to his stories . I would love to have him alongside me win lose or draw but it won't be as he is going through yet another course of chemo .
However no matter what i know a part of him will be with me there and a part of me will be sitting right beside him in west lothian
Hibs give us an unbreakable bond

01-05-2012, 11:10 AM
Lovely story, really sorry for your loss, hopefully we can win the cup this year for him :flag:

Gatecrasher
01-05-2012, 11:42 AM

Thanks for reading this!

Superb story.

I'm still lucky enough to have my Dad and we still go to games on a regular basis. I remember when Hibs won in 07 i looked at him and he was so delighted had a tear running down his cheek. I hope Hibs do it later this month, not to get one over the JT's or to end a supposed hoodoo. I hope they do it for the good guys like your dad who followed this club through thick and thin it would be a perfect tribute. GGTTH :not worth

IWasThere2016
01-05-2012, 11:48 AM
TOP OP :agree:

Your dad would've been proud of that and you :thumbsup:

Tam mcCourt is a gent as you say also.

PF should read posts like the OP to the boys about 2.50pm and just stand back and watch us rip the Yams! :pfgwa

Lester B
01-05-2012, 12:41 PM
Now I may just slip back into Lurkerdom or post more regularly, and probably less profoundly, but this is my last word for now. Thanks for all the kind wishes and my best to you all.

My dad’s last Hibs game was against Aberdeen last year. Possibly one of the worst games I have ever seen. He said one of the worst games he’d seen in 60 odd years!! He was already slowing down but we put it down to old age; now we know it was something worse. His beloved granddaughter, my daughter, has no interest in football at all. I do however have a much older stepdaughter with two sons and the younger, who had just turned 5, came with us. My old man didn’t even recognise the concept of step-great-granddad. He was always just granddad to the boys. We met him outside the Hibs Shop and I’d made sure that the wee fella was wearing an old scarf just like the one my dad always wore. Smiles all round!

In some ways we were lucky. Unlike some people my old man got home and died there. But when we were visiting dad in hospital the boys came in one night. The older one said that Barcelona were the best team in the world and his wee brother got angry ‘noooooo, no way, it’s us, it’s da Hibs. Come on da Hibs!!’. He liked that.

About 15 years ago my dad was on holiday in Egypt. I got a call about 6pm on a Saturday with a faint familiar voice saying ‘It’s me….aye ,aye, hotel’s lovely, anyway how did the Hibs get on the day?’.

I know that in 15 years or so I’ll be doing the same to the wee fella!

Cheers!

Jamesie
03-05-2012, 09:13 PM
Devastated today to hear of the sudden death of Bill Fraser, an East Stand regular, in April. I'm not sure what age Bill was but he wouldn't have been any older than his mid 50s I would say. I met Bill when he was working as a messenger for a firm in 6the west end (where Mikey once worked as well and may well know Bill too) but I believe he was previously a docker.

So cruel that as big a Hibby as Bill won't get to see us at Hampden but he would no doubt have been watching the game from somewhere last night and his spirit will be at the Cup Final, guaranteed.

MCameron
03-05-2012, 09:36 PM
I know that in 15 years or so I’ll be doing the same to the wee fella!

Cheers!

Superb Lester B and condolences on your sad loss.

This is a truly inspirational thread and I think the suggestions to let PF (and the team see this is spot on).

I also just had a vision of a display at Hampden by the Hibs fans to end all displays. Print an A4 picture of a Hibs supporting loved one who is unable to attend either because of illness or from having left this mortal coil. Hold it aloft just before the team come out (or just after the official card display). What a powerful, poignant tribute that would be add in a rendition of Sunshine on Leith. :boo hoo: Guarantee not a dry eye in the Hibs end but if that doesn't put fire in yer belly to put in a performance what will.

JohnStephens91
03-05-2012, 11:45 PM
I have posted before about Hibs being passed on through my family, when I was born my granddad and my dad wrapped a Hibs scarf around me and it is one I wear to this day. Recently my dad has left Hibs to support Liverpool on a more regular basis and that means that I go to Hibs games on my own most of the time, home and away. Each time I do I always think about the stories I'd heard about my dad and granddad going to games together and it hurts all the time because my dad started me with Hibs and now he seems to have abandoned me with it.

I'm green through and through and so was my granddad, he never seen Hibs win the Scottish Cup but he was there in 72 when Hibs won the League Cup because I still see his face in the background. He was a diehard Hibee and unfortunately he passed away before I could ever have any memories with him.

In 2007 it was him I thought of when Jones hoisted that trophy up and now I live in hope that it will be McPake or Murray lifting it when I think of him watching it from somewhere. I'm not sure if my dad is even able to get a ticket, so the burden of the emotion will be on me on that day. Amongst the 20 odd thousand Hibs fans I'll be there alone with nothing but the bittersweet feeling of winning the cup without anyone there with me and my voice blaring out the words to Sunshine on Leith.

AK86
03-05-2012, 11:59 PM
My dad and your dad Lester will be in the Hibees lounge in the sky, cheering us on
My dad will have a lager , whisky chaser and fag in hand. They will laugh together watching this bunch of journeymen, do what some pure class teams of their generation failed to do
Sunshine on Leith will have so many meanings that day.
enjoy and god bless

TrickyNicky
04-05-2012, 12:14 AM
Nice post Lester!

My auld man is a Hearts supporter unfortunately but never pushed the curse on my brother and I.( He was one of those who went to easter Road one week and Tynecastle the other )

My kids came home from the shops last week and said they saw Grandad!

My daughter said that he thinks it would be nice if Hibs win the Cup!

My son is so confused and never wants to see him again. :wink:

Littlest Hobo
04-05-2012, 02:57 AM
My auld fella is a lapsed Hibee, I've only ever been to a handful of games with him in my life. I'm always a a wee bit envious of hearing stories of lads going to the games with their faither simply because my auld man never really gave me or Hibs the time of day. I thought the 110 year wait for a chance to win this bit of silverware, especially against the manky mob might just awake him from his slumber.....but nut!! He's too busy talking about the old days and how he saw The Famous Five and how he wouldn't pay to watch the drivel on show nowadays. So anyways, he can **** right off, he's an annoying prick to listen to at the best of times anyway and when we do lift the cup at least I can say I was there....GIRFUY DAD..... When I was 5.........

Pete
04-05-2012, 03:42 AM
I have posted before about Hibs being passed on through my family, when I was born my granddad and my dad wrapped a Hibs scarf around me and it is one I wear to this day. Recently my dad has left Hibs to support Liverpool on a more regular basis and that means that I go to Hibs games on my own most of the time, home and away. Each time I do I always think about the stories I'd heard about my dad and granddad going to games together and it hurts all the time because my dad started me with Hibs and now he seems to have abandoned me with it.

I'm green through and through and so was my granddad, he never seen Hibs win the Scottish Cup but he was there in 72 when Hibs won the League Cup because I still see his face in the background. He was a diehard Hibee and unfortunately he passed away before I could ever have any memories with him.

In 2007 it was him I thought of when Jones hoisted that trophy up and now I live in hope that it will be McPake or Murray lifting it when I think of him watching it from somewhere. I'm not sure if my dad is even able to get a ticket, so the burden of the emotion will be on me on that day. Amongst the 20 odd thousand Hibs fans I'll be there alone with nothing but the bittersweet feeling of winning the cup without anyone there with me and my voice blaring out the words to Sunshine on Leith.

Your Grandad or dad might not be there but you'll be standing beside 20,000 brothers.

You're never alone at a hibs match.

JohnStephens91
04-05-2012, 05:03 AM
Your Grandad or dad might not be there but you'll be standing beside 20,000 brothers.

I am fortunate enough to know that when celebrating the Griffiths goal when I burst into tears of joy and me and the older guy next to me hugged in sheer delight. I feel a strong sense of identity when I am with the rest of the Hibs contingent but traveling on a Megabus to Inverness by yourself is not the greatest feeling and you do often feel lonely. It's why I signed up on here to have a true connection with the rest of the fans and get to know the support more by traveling on supporter's buses to away games. Reading through all of this thread just further cemented how special a place Hibs hold in my heart and life and how vital an addition they are to everyone else and their upbringing. It really is the best club in the world and hopefully the 19th of May will hammer that point home.

vercol36
04-05-2012, 07:07 AM
I feel we should be printing these posts out and sending them to PF

Would anyone on this thread mind if we did this? I reckon it would be great for some of the loan players to see the passion behind this storied club.

N.Wales Hibby
04-05-2012, 07:26 AM

Well said..:top marks

N.Wales Hibby
04-05-2012, 07:52 AM
Would anyone on this thread mind if we did this? I reckon it would be great for some of the loan players to see the passion behind this storied club.

I would not mind. I am going with my boy " London Hibs". It will be great to stand beside him . This thread got me thinking about my Grandad, Dad, and Uncles. Thanks to them I am a Hibs supporter.. This Cup Final is as much for all the Hibby's who are no longer here as well as us as they are the ones who passed the baton on. I will on May 19th win or lose be thinking about this thread..

Albanian Hibs
04-05-2012, 08:54 AM
The emotion going through me right now is unbelievable. The next 2+ weeks are going to be an emotional rollercoaster. I don't believe that anyone has a dry eye reading this thread.

I love Hibs :pfgwa Thank you Dad, Grandad, and so on for making me part of this famous family.

fit o' the walk
04-05-2012, 09:17 AM
Would anyone on this thread mind if we did this? I reckon it would be great for some of the loan players to see the passion behind this storied club.Not at all,i posted on it about my beloved Ma !!

lyonhibs
04-05-2012, 09:19 AM

Never a truer word spoken.

My dad - now sadly departed - wasn't a sports fan in the slightest. He infamously was chuffed to get a seat behind one of the iron supports in the old West so he could read his Proust and not feel too daft (this isn't a joke)

It just wasn't his bag, but he went to umpteen Hibs games back in the late 90's/early 00's because he knew that's what I wanted to do. When I got old enough to go on my own/with mates, I frequently used to go just by myself, during the Williamson "era" mainly.

My Mum - who doesn't understand why one would dedicate the time, money and emotion to any sports team - would always say in a tone of incredulity:

"You're going by yourself??!! Won't that be a bit boring"

Not a bit of it - I've never felt "alone" at a Hibs match in my puff.

GGTTH :flag:

Lucius Apuleius
04-05-2012, 11:49 AM
Brilliant thread and well done and sincere condolences to Lester. My old man, Whistling Harry as he was known to one and all, never really supported any team. On a Friday night him and his mates would decide which game looked the best for the next day and that is where they would go. Late 40s and early 50s so you can imagine where they ended up most of the time. By the time I came along there was no way he could affird to take me and the elder siblings to football so I went myself. All can ve read on the story I wrote years ago on the front page, suffice to say, 22 years after his death, he too ill be cheering us on without a doubt.

EuanH78
04-05-2012, 01:22 PM

Thanks for reading this!

Sorry for your loss mate, lost my Dad a few weeks back too. I went to the semi and it was really strange without him and I was crying like a big girls blouse when Sunshine on Leith was on.

I have his ashes back now so will be taking him (well, a wee bit of him) along to the final. I also thought about the timing of my Dads death, 6 weeks before the biggest derby ever Dad, really? :wink: funny the things you think about eh?.

When I wrote the thread about my Dad passing someone asked - How many hibbies have died without seeing us win this cup? I had a wee chuckle (maybe inappropraitely) thinking - most of them. Its true though.

Others have said it better, you'll never be alone with a hibby crowd.

Take care mate

dutchhibby
04-05-2012, 03:26 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss

RIP lester's dad.

King Paddy
04-05-2012, 09:26 PM

Thanks for reading this!

My old man passed away a few years back but i know how you feel regarding the sentiments.
He took me to my first game in 1959 happy days. Hope he can influence our fortunes from above on cup final day.

The Harp
04-05-2012, 10:32 PM
I've been very moved by the fine contributions on this thread - my sincere condolences go to you Lester, and all the others who have paid tribute to their loved ones so eloquently.
I lost my wife and soulmate ten years ago after a long illness and was totally and utterly devastated. Although life will never be the same, and I still struggle some days, I have a lot to be thankful for. She left me with two super kids, and now, two gorgeous grandchildren. I know she'll be glad I have continued with my season ticket for my beloved Hibs and I'm sure she'll be willing us on on the 19th.
I'll be at the Final with my son on one side of me and my daughter on the other (and hopefully, a wee Angel above us).

HUTCHYHIBBY
04-05-2012, 10:44 PM
As the old song goes

Up in heaven i'll be singing with the angels high above singing glory to The Hibees, they're the team that we all love.

Some very touching tributes on here.

I was also going to suggest the admins forwarding this on to the club, but, see its already been mentioned.

FranckSuzy
04-05-2012, 10:59 PM
Jeezo, what a roller coaster of a thread! Utterly tear-jerking one minute and then totally uplifting the next. I lost my dad suddenly four years ago. He was a Hearts fan (born in Grove Street) who like others mentioned went to ER one week and Tynie the next. Meanwhile my uncle, who lived in McDonald Road, was a fanatic who went to every Hibs game and rescued my brother (it was a good, solid education/brainwashing as he's coming back from Oz for the final..) and I and so we became hooked. On the first anniversary of my dad's passing, we played Hearts at ER. 1-0 Hibs (Fletcher). Was it a sign? I think he took pity on us...:wink: Anyway, my brother had to come back for my dad's funeral and he had never seen Hibs win in all the times he'd returned (since 1996..). Cue Hibs v St Mirren...freezin' cauld day, so a pie and bovril is required. My brother and Uncle go to the pie stall and miss not only the first Hibs goal but the second also (Zouma and Nishy in the first couple of minutes) and then a chalked off goal later. Can't help feeling 'faither' was having a wee laugh to himsel' :agree: For them, for us and for all the Hibees family, GGTTH.

Lester B
18-05-2012, 12:01 PM
Well let's give this a wee bump up shall we? At work today in white shirt and my lucky green tie and wearing a ring of my dad's. My mum gave me a photo of my dad sitting in the dugout at ER from when he went on the stadium tour last year and that's going with me to the final in the same pocket as my ticket.

Am I confident? Of course not. Am I hopeful? Always.

AK86 post on this thread made me smile as that's the same drink and fag combo my dad would be on.

Thanks to each and every one who sent kind words and shared their stories . Hope the team do it for us and for them too.

I'm on bus 006. Not bad for an occasional poster huh?

Good luck everyone!:flag:

Gez1875
18-05-2012, 12:16 PM
this is unusual, but this has brought a tear to my eye, when we win i will be thinking of your father, a man i have never met.

N.Wales Hibby
18-05-2012, 12:40 PM
We will win the Cup for your dad and the others who are not here.

Admin could this thread be merged with the equally poignant and moving thread....."Thinking of those no longer with us".

Hibs7
18-05-2012, 12:46 PM
Don't know if any of you older Hibbies out there remember a Hibs no.8 Davy Gibson, well before he signed for Hibs he also had an offer to sign for Hearts, he lived next door to my grandmother and he asked my dad for advice...... god bless him he said go to Hibs, that was my first introduction to Hibs and for the last 50 years I have followed them, so as a big thanks to my dad ( deceased ) who set me and Davy on the right road, bring it home Hibs ........ we have waited long enough.

Sorry to hear about your dad, let's do it for all the Hibbies watching from above.