PDA

View Full Version : Guardiola to leave Barca

lyonhibs
26-04-2012, 06:11 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2135718/Pep-Guardiola-set-leave-Barcelona.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

He's apparently been "unsettled" there for a while, but has got the team playing amazing, winning football in that time. This season is a bit of a damp squib by their exalted standards, but still an odd one IMO.

Mourinho for the job??? :cb

Steven_Hibs
26-04-2012, 06:22 PM
Pat Fenlon for the job? :cb

DC_Hibs
26-04-2012, 06:25 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2135718/Pep-Guardiola-set-leave-Barcelona.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

He's apparently been "unsettled" there for a while, but has got the team playing amazing, winning football in that time. This season is a bit of a damp squib by their exalted standards, but still an odd one IMO.

Worth a punt?

The Green Goblin
26-04-2012, 07:00 PM
They review it season by season with him, an arrangement both he and the club are happy with. Even if he goes, i imagine he will leave as something of a legend with the club and fans.

Mon Dieu4
26-04-2012, 07:03 PM
I read something by a Spanish reporter somewhere that this is a tactic he uses to keep the players on their toes and keep them guessing, not sure if that's the case or not

Pretty Boy
26-04-2012, 07:05 PM
Most successful Barca manager ever.

Read one of the Catalan papers today, looks a certainty he will go barring a last minute change of heart.

Marcelo Bielsa and Luis Enrique both mentioned as possible replacements.

lapsedhibee
26-04-2012, 07:17 PM
Any hint over on kickback where he might be headed?

heretoday
26-04-2012, 07:19 PM
Only a matter of time before he walks up Albion Road as manager. Hopefully, he won't change our style of play radically.

I suppose he might persuade some former colleagues of his - Xavi, Messi, Iniesta - to join him but they'd have to cool their heels on the bench till they get their debuts.

:wink:

lyonhibs
26-04-2012, 07:20 PM
Only a matter of time before he walks up Albion Road as manager. Hopefully, he won't change our style of play radically.

I suppose he might persuade some former colleagues of his - Xavi, Messi, Iniesta - to join him but they'd have to cool their heels on the bench till they get their debuts.

:wink:

All too wee. They wouldn't be able to handle the pace and physicality of the SPL :agree:

hibee92
26-04-2012, 07:50 PM
He should take the director of football role. Could possibly do a job in midfield.

heretoday
26-04-2012, 08:49 PM
All too wee. They wouldn't be able to handle the pace and physicality of the SPL :agree:

Oh I don't know about that. They seem fit little chaps to me. I'm no expert mind.

God, it's depressing isn't it?

CallumLaidlaw
27-04-2012, 09:30 AM
Guardiola confirmed to leave at end of season now

BarneyK
27-04-2012, 09:32 AM
Guardiola confirmed to leave at end of season now

Shame. Hope he doesnae end up at Chelski .

Andy74
27-04-2012, 09:39 AM
Good timing, that team has reached its peak. They might come up with a plan B once in a while now.

Greendub
27-04-2012, 09:40 AM
I told ye's he would go if they lost!

Sky was linking him to the Etihad if Mancini can't win the title.

But I think he genuinely wants to take time out, being the barca manager must be tough work

AustinHibee
27-04-2012, 09:50 AM
Wants to take a break from football,coming to Scotland then?

:greengrin

Teo10
27-04-2012, 09:50 AM

He's said for a couple years that he wants to take a year out from football, and that he hasn't been enjoying himself.

Rosell was having lunch with him yesterday and pretty much put a blank cheque on the table for him and said put whatever he wants on it and renew...

BarneyK
27-04-2012, 09:51 AM
Good timing, that team has reached its peak. They might come up with a plan B once in a while now.

The only Plan B I would like to see would be having a crack at goal every once in a while. Other than that their Plan A is fantastic. :thumbsup:

jonty
27-04-2012, 10:02 AM
Guardiola at Spurs (Harry to England) would make for a very interesting EPL.

If he's wanting to take a break though, Mancini will be long gone and the Spurs job wont be available (unless they've bombed)

And if Jose was to join Man U in a couple of years when SAF retires......

jacomo
27-04-2012, 10:04 AM

:faf:

To try and paint Guardiola as a coach with only one plan is laughable.

Guardiola won 13 trophies in 4 years, with beautiful, fluid, mesmerising football. Sometimes Messi played wide, sometimes not. Eto'o, Henry and Ibrahimovic all played their parts, though only Eto'o truly played his best under him. Sometimes a back three, often a back four - those this doesn't really cover the variation they often employed.

Thankfully, the history books will probably record this as one of the best football teams every assembled (if not the best), and not this kind of snide comment.

jacomo
27-04-2012, 10:05 AM

Agreed. It would be a great shame.

I suppose there's a chance he could take a year out and then return to Barca some day.

Thecat23
27-04-2012, 10:37 AM
Been hearing from a highly respected agent, who has many City players on his books that they have already spoke to him. Chelsea are sniffing but no contact as of yet. Mankinni has had far to many bust ups with players, that the board are worried could effect next season.

BurghHibby
27-04-2012, 10:37 AM
Guardiola at Spurs (Harry to England) would make for a very interesting EPL.

If he's wanting to take a break though, Mancini will be long gone and the Spurs job wont be available (unless they've bombed)

And if Jose was to join Man U in a couple of years when SAF retires......

You may have something there with the first part, Spurs.
However I think when Real win their league, Jose will walk straight into Old Trafford when Fergie retires after also winning the league.
Both leaving their respective teams at the top in the knowledge that it will be harder to repeat the same feat next season.

jacomo
27-04-2012, 10:46 AM
You may have something there with the first part, Spurs.
However I think when Real win their league, Jose will walk straight into Old Trafford when Fergie retires after also winning the league.
Both leaving their respective teams at the top in the knowledge that it will be harder to repeat the same feat next season.

I think Pep is out of Spurs league, to be honest. At the moment they look unlikely to be in the CL next season... and if they aren't, they look vulnerable to losing some of their best players.

Andy74
27-04-2012, 11:07 AM
:faf:

To try and paint Guardiola as a coach with only one plan is laughable.

Guardiola won 13 trophies in 4 years, with beautiful, fluid, mesmerising football. Sometimes Messi played wide, sometimes not. Eto'o, Henry and Ibrahimovic all played their parts, though only Eto'o truly played his best under him. Sometimes a back three, often a back four - those this doesn't really cover the variation they often employed.

Thankfully, the history books will probably record this as one of the best football teams every assembled (if not the best), and not this kind of snide comment.

I was really just referring to a crack at goal now and again when required.

Any other team with about 80% posession over two games and playing ten men at home for over a half, with no recognised centre halfs and messing about the way they did for the last half hour continually trying to isaloate amna wide or playing the one two's at the edge of the box would have come under heavy criticism.

It wasn't working, they have players capable of striking ball and there should have been a change of approach.

They've had a good last two or three years but I think that team will be starting to wane.

Pretty Boy
27-04-2012, 11:20 AM

Any other team with about 80% posession over two games and playing ten men at home for over a half, with no recognised centre halfs and messing about the way they did for the last half hour continually trying to isaloate amna wide or playing the one two's at the edge of the box would have come under heavy criticism.

It wasn't working, they have players capable of striking ball and there should have been a change of approach.

They've had a good last two or three years but I think that team will be starting to wane.

I said way back at the start of the season that Barca were close to going into transition, looks like I may be right. Obviously their version of transition will be slightly different from ours.

Catalan media today is running that Guardiolas successor will be given 'unlimited spending power'. Having a core of Pique, Iniesta, Messi and Sanchez to build around will help.

It's also suspected that Alves will be the first big name to go with Old Trafford a rumoured destination, also talk they will fight it out with Madrid for Aguero. Likely to lose out their though as Madrid can offer Higuain plus cash.

Could be an.interesting summer in Spain.

Teo10
27-04-2012, 11:50 AM
That's it confirmed in a press conference at the Camp Nou just now that he wont be renewing.

Glad to be able to say that I've been to see Pep's Barca team at their peak

Sean1875
27-04-2012, 11:55 AM
Current assistant manager Tito Villanova announced as coach for next season.

Broken Gnome
27-04-2012, 12:00 PM

As poor as they were on Tuesday, that's a little unfair perhaps. Guardiola's obviously not peerless, nor is that style of football guaranteed to succeed. He was rightly lauded for making Barcelona arguably the best club side ever, but it wouldn't say much for the rest of football if that were to carry on unchallenged. It's the job of Mourinho etc to match and better the competition, and that's what he's done. Nothing to say that Guardiola, or Barcelona as it stands, couldn't provide a counter to that next year.

BarneyK
27-04-2012, 12:19 PM

Agree they have looked a little tired the last two or three games. They'll be back next year though :thumbsup:

heretoday
27-04-2012, 12:36 PM
God I'm fed up hearing about Plan B!

Pep is overreacting I reckon. All they need is Peter Crouch up top, a replacement for Puyol and with Villa back next term they'll be unstoppable again.

It's so simple I don't know why they don't appoint me manager immediately.

frazeHFC
05-05-2012, 10:01 PM
Probably old, old news but when did he resign? I only found out just now on SSN as he did his fairwell. :boo hoo:

Jonnyboy
05-05-2012, 10:04 PM
Probably old, old news but when did he resign? I only found out just now on SSN as he did his fairwell. :boo hoo:

Made it public a couple of weeks ago Fraze. Taking some time out but the clever money is on him taking a job in the Premiership in about a year's time

frazeHFC
05-05-2012, 10:51 PM
Made it public a couple of weeks ago Fraze. Taking some time out but the clever money is on him taking a job in the Premiership in about a year's time

Bit gutted he has left. Done a great job there and i wished he'd stay there a long time rather than come to EPL. He'll end up going to Chelsea and i'll start hating his guts. :tee hee:

Teo10
06-05-2012, 09:59 AM
Was a very emotional goodbye after the game last night! Could tell how much he meant to that club, the fans and players!