PDA

View Full Version : Will Chelski chuck the CL final in May?

lapsedhibee
26-04-2012, 11:38 AM
Abramovich pumps squillions into Chelski because his dream is to win the CL.

Once he's won it, he may get bored with fitba and walk away.

Would it be better for Chelski's future if they chuck the final so that Abramovich sticks around a while longer?

Edinburgh Green
26-04-2012, 11:44 AM
Yes, they will definitely chuck it, it's the only logical choice.:rolleyes:

26-04-2012, 12:03 PM
Why would they chuck away a chance to win the Champions League :confused:

This is this best chance they have had in years to win it and might not even be in it next year!

Hibercelona
26-04-2012, 12:05 PM

Would it be better for Chelski's future if they chuck the final so that Abramovich sticks around a while longer?

They won't chuck it.

Bayern will still beat them though, because they're a better footballing side.

sambajustice
26-04-2012, 12:11 PM
Why would they chuck away a chance to win the Champions League :confused:

This is this best chance they have had in years to win it and might not even be in it next year!

They will be in it if they win it. If Chelsea win and finish 5th or lower then whoever finishes 4th in the league gets bumped!

26-04-2012, 12:20 PM
They will be in it if they win it. If Chelsea win and finish 5th or lower then whoever finishes 4th in the league gets bumped!

Exactly, so why would they want to throw away the final!

stokesmessiah
26-04-2012, 12:24 PM
Suspect they will get gubbed by Bayern.

26-04-2012, 12:26 PM
Suspect they will get gubbed by Bayern.

Hope so :pray:

KeithTheHibby
26-04-2012, 12:58 PM

Unbelievable Jeff.

pentlando
26-04-2012, 02:08 PM

Hopefully you're playing Devil's Advocate here. What's the point in keeping Abramovich around if you're just going to throw the Champs League each season. Maybe Hibs should throw the Scottish Cup, that way the 'chasing the holy grail' idea can remain. :cb

lapsedhibee
26-04-2012, 02:36 PM
Hopefully you're playing Devil's Advocate here. What's the point in keeping Abramovich around if you're just going to throw the Champs League each season. Maybe Hibs should throw the Scottish Cup, that way the 'chasing the holy grail' idea can remain. :cb

The point in keeping Abramovich around is so that the club can continue to function at a very high level - much higher than would be possible if he were to walk away.

Abramovich is a gazillionaire who's put squillions into making Chelski CL winners. If they win in May, I reckon he will hang around for a year or so just to see what it feels like to be top dog in Europe. After that Chelski will revert to what they were before he appeared (ie not very good). If they lose in May, however, I reckon he might give it another 5 years or so, and go through another 10 or 12 managers, in his quest.

leither17
26-04-2012, 02:42 PM
They won't chuck it.

Like barca were? I think they will scrape a 1-0

stokesmessiah
26-04-2012, 03:00 PM

Two totally different teams.

I watched both games and i have to say that Barca made it easy for Chelsea. They only had one game plan and it was tippy tappy passing on the edge of the 18yrd box and trying to isolate someone out wide. Because they pushed up so high though it made it easy for Chelsea to get everyone in the box. Everytime that Chelsea did move up the pitch a bit they looked vulnerable as Barca were able to create some space when they were attacking.

Bayern on the other hand seem to be able to change their style of play as they have good wide men and also a big striker in the box ala Gomez.

For the record i am not saying that Barcelona are a bad team (that would be stupid) just that there lack of a plan b cost them that game.

Hibernia Na Eir
26-04-2012, 03:22 PM
I hope so.
A very dull club on the eye, particularly in europe.

pentlando
26-04-2012, 03:36 PM
The point in keeping Abramovich around is so that the club can continue to function at a very high level - much higher than would be possible if he were to walk away.

Abramovich is a gazillionaire who's put squillions into making Chelski CL winners. If they win in May, I reckon he will hang around for a year or so just to see what it feels like to be top dog in Europe. After that Chelski will revert to what they were before he appeared (ie not very good). If they lose in May, however, I reckon he might give it another 5 years or so, and go through another 10 or 12 managers, in his quest.

What's the point in functioning at a very high level if you throw away your chance to succeed at it?? You reckon the should lose the final and carry on being the nearly team? Abramovich seems to me determined to have success, once he has a Champions League he'll want another...then another. People aim for the top, then aim higher. Pep Guardiola has won the World Club Cup, for me the highest achievement anyone can in club football, but hasn't retired yet. I don't think a Champs League win will change Abramovich, if anything is likely to keep him interested. Look at what a lack of success has done to Romanov at Hearts, but he's coming back for the Cup Final by all accounts :rolleyes:

Hibercelona
26-04-2012, 03:48 PM

Barca stick to one game plan, even when its clearly not working.

Bayern are more versatile.

NORTHERNHIBBY
26-04-2012, 04:06 PM
Chelski to win it get crowned the undisputed winner of the not quite Champions...league.

ancient hibee
26-04-2012, 06:11 PM
Two totally different teams.

I watched both games and i have to say that Barca made it easy for Chelsea. They only had one game plan and it was tippy tappy passing on the edge of the 18yrd box and trying to isolate someone out wide. Because they pushed up so high though it made it easy for Chelsea to get everyone in the box. Everytime that Chelsea did move up the pitch a bit they looked vulnerable as Barca were able to create some space when they were attacking.

Bayern on the other hand seem to be able to change their style of play as they have good wide men and also a big striker in the box ala Gomez.

For the record i am not saying that Barcelona are a bad team (that would be stupid) just that there lack of a plan b cost them that game.

Think you've been reading too much football writer tosh:greengrin.In fact every time Chelsea moved up it was Barcelona that looked vulnerable-so vulnerable in fact that Chelsea scored twice and had two near misses from about 6 attacks.If Gomez is as good as you say there would have been no need for extra time.As you rightly say Barca had no plan B and Chelsea only had one plan-which worked.

ShanksSaidNo
26-04-2012, 06:17 PM
The fact that you've managed to conjure up 17 replies to thee daftest notion of the year is astonishing.

heretoday
26-04-2012, 07:29 PM
Chels are really up against it. Lucky old Bayern playing the final in front of their own fans.

I expect Chelsea to win one way or another though. They are a tough bunch and have had a rebirth recently.

The game will be won and lost in midfield - probably with penalties.

Macaroon
26-04-2012, 10:26 PM
They won't chuck it.

So were Barcelona.

Holmesdale Hibs
27-04-2012, 06:31 AM
They will never chuck the final. End of.

Why is Abramovich that bad? The players probably won't mind him because 1) he's made them all millionaires 2) sacked managers for them 3) built a successful team.

Bayern will probably win but I thought the same about Barca. I dont like Chelsea and hope they get pumped

Hibbyradge
27-04-2012, 07:58 AM

Your brain works in a very mysterious way.

lapsedhibee
27-04-2012, 08:15 AM
Your brain works in a very mysterious way.

Well I'm not sure it's that mysterious to question what happens to clubs who are currently sustained by rich individuals. I may be wrong but I don't think Chelsea can remain in the top tier of European clubs, where they are now, without Abramovich. Are they not in a roughly similar situation to Los Yambolinos, who are in deep doo if V McMad ups sticks? If so, they might want to make sure he doesn't leave. I am only suggesting that he might be either a whimsical gazillionaire, who gets bored once he's got the toy he originally wanted (CL Trophy), or the kind of guy who enjoys the chase more than the possession. The number of managers that both the Yams and Chelsea have gone through suggests at least an element of whimsicality on the part of their owners (I don't think it's ruthlessness, because the changes haven't really achieved any significant improvement - Mourinho and Burley, the best, were both very early on).

The players won't chuck the final, of course, because they want shiny winners' medals.

Hibbyradge
27-04-2012, 08:24 AM
Well I'm not sure it's that mysterious to question what happens to clubs who are currently sustained by rich individuals. I may be wrong but I don't think Chelsea can remain in the top tier of European clubs, where they are now, without Abramovich. Are they not in a roughly similar situation to Los Yambolinos, who are in deep doo if V McMad ups sticks? If so, they might want to make sure he doesn't leave. I am only suggesting that he might be either a whimsical gazillionaire, who gets bored once he's got the toy he originally wanted (CL Trophy), or the kind of guy who enjoys the chase more than the possession. The number of managers that both the Yams and Chelsea have gone through suggests at least an element of whimsicality on the part of their owners (I don't think it's ruthlessness, because the changes haven't really achieved any significant improvement - Mourinho and Burley, the best, were both very early on).

The players won't chuck the final, of course, because they want shiny winners' medals.

Your OP theory was based on the hypothetical assumption that a man you don't know, might get bored if Chelsea win the Champions league.

Frank Lampard; "Right lads, although this is probably a once in a lifetime opportunity to win the biggest club competition in World football, we better play pish in case Roman loses interest".

You have to admit, that would be pretty mysterious. :greengrin

lapsedhibee
27-04-2012, 08:56 AM
Your OP theory was based on the hypothetical assumption that a man you don't know, might get bored if Chelsea win the Champions league.

You're right, I don't know him. But I think he will get bored at some point. It's not as if he's a boyhood supporter of the club he owns, like what McMad is.

Hibbyradge
27-04-2012, 09:03 AM
You're right, I don't know him. But I think he will get bored at some point. It's not as if he's a boyhood supporter of the club he owns, like what McMad is.

He owns an expensive football club based in a very fashionable distric of London.

I don't know why you think he'll get bored, and I can't think of too many examples of other football club owners who "get bored", but I accept it's a possibility.

If it happens, he'll sell the club to another billionairre.

Anyway, that's less mysterious than your OP which suggests prefessional footballers might forego the opportunity to achieve (one of) their life's ambitions because of another man's potential boredom if they do.

Just saying, likes. :wink:

lapsedhibee
27-04-2012, 01:48 PM
He owns an expensive football club based in a very fashionable distric of London.

I don't know why you think he'll get bored, and I can't think of too many examples of other football club owners who "get bored", but I accept it's a possibility.
TBH I think he's already a bit bored watching the team play hoofball against big teams, and he's wanting Guardiola in to make his toy play like Barca.

If it happens, he'll sell the club to another billionairre.
True, could happen. Unless the whole EPL/CL microeconomy crashes for some reason.

Anyway, that's less mysterious than your OP ...
I was bored. Had watched Chelsea 3x90 minutes in the past week. 270 mins of negativity, though Arsenal and Barca had tried to liven things up

... which suggests prefessional footballers might forego the opportunity to achieve (one of) their life's ambitions because of another man's potential boredom if they do.
Would never happen that players will decide to chuck a match like that, even if it were in the club's medium-long term interests to do so, because they just think in the short term. If it were in their own short term interests to chuck it, rather than the club's medium term interests, they might. Corruption happens. Wasn't there some betting story attached to a World Cup final that the real Ronaldo was involved in?

Is it your position that the future of sugardaddy clubs like Chelsea in the EPL is secure, even in the absence of their rich owners, in a way that, say, Gretna wasn't? I kinda think that Chelsea could end up like Blackburn, though obviously not overnight, if Abramovich hops it/gets assassinated. But I suppose that's another thread.

'mon the Bavarians. :flag:

pentlando
27-04-2012, 02:15 PM
TBH I think he's already a bit bored watching the team play hoofball against big teams, and he's wanting Guardiola in to make his toy play like Barca.

True, could happen. Unless the whole EPL/CL microeconomy crashes for some reason.

I was bored. Had watched Chelsea 3x90 minutes in the past week. 270 mins of negativity, though Arsenal and Barca had tried to liven things up

Would never happen that players will decide to chuck a match like that, even if it were in the club's medium-long term interests to do so, because they just think in the short term. If it were in their own short term interests to chuck it, rather than the club's medium term interests, they might. Corruption happens. Wasn't there some betting story attached to a World Cup final that the real Ronaldo was involved in?

Is it your position that the future of sugardaddy clubs like Chelsea in the EPL is secure, even in the absence of their rich owners, in a way that, say, Gretna wasn't? I kinda think that Chelsea could end up like Blackburn, though obviously not overnight, if Abramovich hops it/gets assassinated. But I suppose that's another thread.

'mon the Bavarians. :flag:

Think you've just answered the main question in your OP. :aok:

lapsedhibee
27-04-2012, 03:15 PM
Think you've just answered the main question in your OP. :aok:

Not all questions are exactly as they seem though. Chelski fanboys will need plenty of excuses, including conspiracy theories, when their team gets pumped 6-1 (Lampard, pen) by the Bavarian Munchers.

My next thread will be: Will Hibs turn up on May 19th?

fatbloke
27-04-2012, 04:15 PM
Most players are of the mercenary type. They do not care if the owner is Abramovic or Mickey Mouse. The players who play will want to win at all cost. Chuck it? Never in a million years.