PDA

View Full Version : Livingston Season Ticket Marketing - we sell more - you pay less

GreenCastle
24-04-2012, 02:58 PM
http://www.livingstonfc.co.uk/commercial/commercial_season_ticket_prices_2012_13.php

Will this work ?

blackpoolhibs
24-04-2012, 03:06 PM
http://www.livingstonfc.co.uk/commercial/commercial_season_ticket_prices_2012_13.php

Will this work ?

It worked for Hartlepool, they sold the ground out. I dont know what the price reductions were, and how many bought, 6000 comes to mind for some reason, but they sold out i'm guessing it was a success?

pentlando
24-04-2012, 03:27 PM
It relies on folk going for tickets whilst they're still on the highest tariff. It could backfire if everyone sits back and waits for the tariff to drop. Showing some innovation though so I'm not knocking it too much.

blackpoolhibs
24-04-2012, 03:29 PM
It relies on folk going for tickets whilst they're still on the highest tariff. It could backfire if everyone sits back and waits for the tariff to drop. Showing some innovation though so I'm not knocking it too much.

Surely it wont drop, thats the point of it?:confused:

Monts
24-04-2012, 03:39 PM

Does everyone not pay the same price in the end though?

jgl07
24-04-2012, 03:43 PM

Will this work ?

That contrasts with the Hearts 'dynamic pricing' model where the price goes up by the hour.

NYHibby
24-04-2012, 04:11 PM
Slightly off topic, but ESPN ran a decent article about dynamic ticket pricing yesterday.

http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/dollars/post/_/id/597/dynamic-pricing-is-new-trend-in-ticket-sales

hibee_nation
24-04-2012, 04:16 PM
Looks like a good idea, whats the betting if we tried it, it would end up as the club are blackmailing us into buying a ST. Petrie :grr:

lyonhibs
24-04-2012, 10:56 PM
Slightly off topic, but ESPN ran a decent article about dynamic ticket pricing yesterday.

http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/dollars/post/_/id/597/dynamic-pricing-is-new-trend-in-ticket-sales

A couple of quotes that stand out vs. the Hearts model:

1) The idea is that season ticket-holders are the lifeblood of a team and deserve the best deals - oops.

2) The message: Buy early and save. - from what I could work out, unless you were literally one of the 1st in the queue, you got absolutely bumped due to the price rising as sharply as Ukio Bankas' share price tends to fall. A Jambo acquintance of nearly 30 years standing - and we're talking one of these loons that's been to Sarajevo and all sorts on European jaunts with them - has jacked in the ST as it was going to cost him £50 (or something ludicrous) more than a similar seat in the same section.

HUTCHYHIBBY
24-04-2012, 11:39 PM

Beat me to it!

frazeHFC
25-04-2012, 12:02 AM
HH81 mentioned this last year and i thought it was, and still think it is, a good idea. :agree:

bingo70
25-04-2012, 07:54 AM

How does that work? Do people that pay the full price at the start get a refund or something?

If prices go down then surely the people that buy them first pay more?

Peevemor
25-04-2012, 08:04 AM
How does that work? Do people that pay the full price at the start get a refund or something?

If prices go down then surely the people that buy them first pay more?

If they sell less than 700 STs, the adult price is £250. This reduces to £125 if they sell more than 1600.

In the first instance, everyone pays a deposit of £125. If they sell more than 1600 STs then there's nothing left to pay. If they sell less than 700 then the balance of £125 has to be paid by 31 July. If they sell, for example, 1200 STs then the total price is £170, leaving a balance of £45 to be paid.

It looks to be a pretty good system, although it could limit income.

MrHibs1982
25-04-2012, 08:14 AM
I think the livi idea seems pretty good to me!!! I would ask how much were they charged for ST's last season as $250 seems a bit steep for a 1st division club ST!?!?

If we went down and Hibs said ok your ST is 250 but if we sell 2k its down to 200 and if we sell 4k its down to 150 or 5k and its down to 125, or similar figures I would think it was a good deal!!

pentlando
25-04-2012, 08:58 AM
Surely it wont drop, thats the point of it?:confused:

I know but the site says it's the amount sold as of 30th June. Therefore I presume the tariff will be set at the end of June. Some folk who feel £250 is too much will sit and wait for the tariff to drop, and if it doesn't they won't buy a ticket. Therefore the success of it relies on people buying tickets whilst they are still at £250 and hoping they will drop. I'd imagine a lot of folk would rather wait until the targets are met before committing so could backfire.

Hibbyradge
25-04-2012, 09:15 AM

It doesn't work like that.

Everyone will pay the same price, full or discounted.

They pay a £125 deposit (the minimum season ticket price) then, depending on the number of tickets sold, any balance due by 31 July.

It sounds like a great idea.

Hibbyradge
25-04-2012, 09:16 AM
I know but the site says it's the amount sold as of 30th June. Therefore I presume the tariff will be set at the end of June. Some folk who feel £250 is too much will sit and wait for the tariff to drop, and if it doesn't they won't buy a ticket. Therefore the success of it relies on people buying tickets whilst they are still at £250 and hoping they will drop. I'd imagine a lot of folk would rather wait until the targets are met before committing so could backfire.

I see what you mean.

Posh Swanny
25-04-2012, 09:24 AM
It doesn't work like that.

Everyone will pay the same price, full or discounted.

They pay a £125 deposit (the minimum season ticket price) then, depending on the number of tickets sold, any balance due by 31 July.

It sounds like a great idea.

But the price only drops once they sell a certain number of tickets and it relies on enough people willing to gamble that it won't end up costing them £250. How many people will hold off to make sure enough have been sold before committing. If there are too many who hold off, the system won't work.

I, however, think its a great idea and that it will work.

***EDIT*** Or what Pentlando said! :wink:

Hibbyradge
25-04-2012, 09:37 AM
But the price only drops once they sell a certain number of tickets and it relies on enough people willing to gamble that it won't end up costing them £250. How many people will hold off to make sure enough have been sold before committing. If there are too many who hold off, the system won't work.

I, however, think its a great idea and that it will work.

***EDIT*** Or what Pentlando said! :wink:

Yes, I see that now.

I don't think it can really backfire though.

In general, folk who are going to renew for next season, will do so regardless of any discount.

If the price then starts to drop, sales should increase and it could snowball quite quickly.

If it worked for Hartlepool, why not Livi? Or Hibs?

blackpoolhibs
25-04-2012, 09:57 AM
Yes, I see that now.

I don't think it can really backfire though.

In general, folk who are going to renew for next season, will do so regardless of any discount.

If the price then starts to drop, sales should increase and it could snowball quite quickly.

If it worked for Hartlepool, why not Livi? Or Hibs?

Obviously the price structure would be different, but the same principal would apply. Its something i'd certainly like our board to look into in the future.

pentlando
25-04-2012, 10:34 AM
Just to be clear I wasn't knocking the idea, I feel it has more positives than negatives, just that like everything there is a risk attached to it. Anyone have any idea how many season tickets they sold last season?

Anyway we all know that Hibs have by far the best season ticket policy this season, although ensuring another all Edinburgh final in 2013 will be a challenge :greengrin

basehibby
25-04-2012, 11:13 AM

Will this work ?

:agree: Why not? I'd like to see something like this tried.

Peevemor
25-04-2012, 11:19 AM
Obviously the price structure would be different, but the same principal would apply. Its something i'd certainly like our board to look into in the future.

I can see it being less attractive for Hibs because, although ST revenue would remain roughly the same there could be a lot less pay-at-the-gaters for big games. In saying that there have been less and less of those recently for numerous, well documented reasons.

blackpoolhibs
25-04-2012, 11:49 AM
I can see it being less attractive for Hibs because, although ST revenue would remain roughly the same there could be a lot less pay-at-the-gaters for big games. In saying that there have been less and less of those recently for numerous, well documented reasons.

Obviously is all guesswork, but if we knew a season ticket was only going to cost £250 if we sold over 10k or 11k i dont know the figures that would give us the same or even more money at current prices, could that maybe price more folk in, and perhaps take the plunge at that sort of price?:dunno:

As i said its guess work on figures, but 16 thousand at £200 a head makes more sense than 8 thousand at £400 when you account for the add ons, or am i wrong, am i missing something? :dunno: