PDA

View Full Version : Greggs Danny Swanson

Hibs7
23-04-2012, 08:12 AM
Heard a little rumour that he has been talking to Hibs .... last week.

Spike Mandela
23-04-2012, 08:13 AM

Trying to get cup final tickets nae doubt:wink:

magpie1892
23-04-2012, 09:28 AM

I spoke to his dad at Hampden. Quote: 'We're trying to get him to Hibs'.

CallumLaidlaw
23-04-2012, 09:31 AM
Swanson Stevenson Ozzy Hayes

I'd take that

Elephant Stone
23-04-2012, 09:37 AM

I'd take that

I'm baffled that anyone could want to end up with the same central midfield after a whole transfer window. It's failed us all season in disastrous fashion. We need creativity in the centre. I'd take those wingers for certain though.

Speedway
23-04-2012, 09:37 AM

I'd take that

Swanson Shiels Ozzy Hayes

How about that?

Hibernian Verse
23-04-2012, 09:39 AM
I reckon it's plausible, especially with the extra 500k Hibs have made since Friday!

PatHead
23-04-2012, 09:41 AM
Heard this last year but wondered if it would come off with PF now in charge. Dundee Utd are resigned to losing him at the end of his contract and he had indicated it wasn't worth talks before his last injury. I would love to have him at Hibs as he would add pace but his injury record is a concern though.

magpie1892
23-04-2012, 09:42 AM
I reckon it's plausible, especially with the extra 500k Hibs have made since Friday!

It's certainly plausible if both parties want it to happen, which is the case.

CallumLaidlaw
23-04-2012, 09:48 AM
Swanson Shiels Ozzy Hayes

How about that?

:aok: yes please

greenlex
23-04-2012, 09:49 AM
I may be going against the grain here but a player who is struggling to get back into a Dundee Utd team could possibly be a`player for us but just because he is a Hibs fan doesn't mean he will be a success. Personally I don't think he has played well for a whole season. If he was on form he would be talking to a championship side and not Hibs. I wont be gutted if he goes elsewhere just like I won't be doing cartwheels if he signs.

itchy07
23-04-2012, 09:54 AM
I think he'd be a knockout at the club.:wink:
:cb

Weir7
23-04-2012, 10:03 AM
I'm baffled that anyone could want to end up with the same central midfield after a whole transfer window. It's failed us all season in disastrous fashion. We need creativity in the centre. I'd take those wingers for certain though.

Ozzy got talent but too laid back doesn't do enough. If ur playing with 2 wingers, you need 2 be solid in centre mid

Pretty Boy
23-04-2012, 10:05 AM
Swanson Morris Shiels Hayes

All change.

The Sea-gull
23-04-2012, 10:08 AM
What's Swanson's fitness status these days? Is he back and playing?

Definitely a talent but fitness record is a concern, worth a gamble IMHO though.

We wouldn't have got near him a while back but lack of fitness and the form of Gary McKay-Steven might mean we could be one of his better options.

frazeHFC
23-04-2012, 10:13 AM

In my opinion Ozzy and Stevenson have been great for us this season. I'm baffled that people don't think they should be in our team.

offshorehibby
23-04-2012, 10:28 AM
Was there not rumours about his health going about a while back.

Pretty Boy
23-04-2012, 10:33 AM

I played with him at youth level for a while and it was no secret he had heart problems as a child.

Never affected his performance at that level and as far as I'm aware its no longer and issue.

Elephant Stone
23-04-2012, 10:35 AM
In my opinion Ozzy and Stevenson have been great for us this season. I'm baffled that people don't think they should be in our team.

Great? We're 6 points off the bottom of the league and the midfield has been nowhere to be seen. I'd say Stevenson has been OK but the midfield as a whole has failed us massively. I genuinely can't remember a game where our team has dominated in midfield, it's almost as if we've given up and decided to bypass it completely. Neither Osbourne or Stevenson will take the ball from the middle towards the forwards with pace or will be an option to pass to in the last third, which are essentials for at least one of the central pairing. I'm glad Stevenson has signed for another year but I want us to sign at least 4 midfielders, one for every position.

IWasThere2016
23-04-2012, 10:37 AM

I hear 'injuries' are often in his heid :wink:

Iceman1875
23-04-2012, 11:19 AM
Always seems to score against us, I'd take him.

silverhibee
23-04-2012, 12:14 PM
I may be going against the grain here but a player who is struggling to get back into a Dundee Utd team could possibly be a`player for us but just because he is a Hibs fan doesn't mean he will be a success. Personally I don't think he has played well for a whole season. If he was on form he would be talking to a championship side and not Hibs. I wont be gutted if he goes elsewhere just like I won't be doing cartwheels if he signs.

I would say it is a no from me, he is injury prone, he is not getting his game for Arabs, and most importantly was it not stated in the Goodwillie trial that he has some kind of heart problem, he has had a poor season with Utd.

silverhibee
23-04-2012, 12:16 PM
Swanson Morris Shiels Hayes

All change.

I hear Morris is going back down South in the summer. :aok:

Spike Mandela
23-04-2012, 12:17 PM

I'd take that

Swanson new signing new signing Hayes

Would be better

Hibs90
23-04-2012, 12:21 PM
If he could kick on then great, but if he had a poor run of games then it'd just be a waste of money. Rather have Hayes, great wee player.

calumhibee1
23-04-2012, 12:24 PM
Would take Swanson in a heartbeat. The sort of player you would pay to watch.

silverhibee
23-04-2012, 01:02 PM

Here is one of my reasons Fraz, i have nothing against Lewis works his socks of for the club, that i cannot fault him for that, gets stuck in more of a pitbull than our other pitbull does and a great lad away from football, Osbourne don't know much about him but for me he has been very hot and cold for Hibs, cant say he has been great for the whole 90 minutes of a game that he has played in.

But hear is the reason that i would like to see better for next season, as midfielders they need to do a whole lot more than what i mentioned above, no goals from either of them this season, think maybe Ozzy scored in a game but it was given as an OG, as far as i know they don't have any assists either, it really is not good enough from them as attacking midfielders, our midfield has been a problem for a couple of seasons now, not a bit of creativity amongst any of them which is needed badly, we need to go 4-5-1 for the rest of the season so we do.imo.

IWasThere2016
23-04-2012, 01:03 PM
I would say it is a no from me, he is injury prone, he is not getting his game for Arabs, and most importantly was it not stated in the Goodwillie trial that he has some kind of heart problem, he has had a poor season with Utd.

No. Told he had an anxiety problem but has received treatment and has recovered.

PatHead
23-04-2012, 01:12 PM
I really want Stevenson to do well but I am afraid he just never will fulfil his early potential.

Can't think of one pass, skinning off a full back or cross yesterday which split/hurt Killie . For someone on the ball as much as him I am looking for that. The other thread sums it up saying we don't have a midfielder who can grab the game by the scruff of the neck and run a game. Lewis has had the chance but has never done that. Whilst he works hard and gets around he a jack of all trades and master of none.

John Rankin did much the same last season and look at the stick he got. In summary, if LS played for someone else and we were trying to sign him I would think we were lacking ambition.

Hope to be proven wrong though.

steviehibsleith
23-04-2012, 01:42 PM
No doubting the ability and flair but he has barely kicked a ball for united this season and has injury problems knee/back and dont see how a proper medical or background check will convince hibs board to take him.

Perhaps a offering of pay if u play scenario . If fit id have on for sure as he is creative and a finisher . Just a worry with limited resources a hibs

silverhibee
23-04-2012, 01:54 PM
No. Told he had an anxiety problem but has received treatment and has recovered.

:aok:

Spike Mandela
23-04-2012, 01:55 PM
I really want Stevenson to do well but I am afraid he just never will fulfil his early potential.

Can't think of one pass, skinning off a full back or cross yesterday which split/hurt Killie . For someone on the ball as much as him I am looking for that. The other thread sums it up saying we don't have a midfielder who can grab the game by the scruff of the neck and run a game. Lewis has had the chance but has never done that. Whilst he works hard and gets around he a jack of all trades and master of none.

John Rankin did much the same last season and look at the stick he got. In summary, if LS played for someone else and we were trying to sign him I would think we were lacking ambition.

When you think of Hearts likely midfield in this final made up of Skacel, Black and Driver augmented by the likes of Santana, Templeton and Barr you really see the level of midfield we need to get to. Our current incumbents are a shadow of other teams' midfields imo.

Elephant Stone
23-04-2012, 02:06 PM
When you think of Hearts likely midfield in this final made up of Skacel, Black and Driver augmented by the likes of Santana, Templeton and Barr you really see the level of midfield we need to get to. Our current incumbents are a shadow of other teams' midfields imo.

:agree:

That's my worry for the final. We have a better forward pairing than them and the new defence isn't as much of a problem as it was but the midfield has stayed non-existent. It struggles to make an impact against poor teams so unless there's a massive improvement it will get absolutely steam rollered against them, who dominate the midfield at the best of times. As much as I don't like it I'd be tempted to play 5 in midfield or at least drop Griffiths deeper.

gackohibs
23-04-2012, 04:49 PM
I can confirm he's been talking to Hibs, no surprises tho we've offered less than half the wages utd are paying just now.

Sauce? A family member.

hibsbollah
23-04-2012, 05:24 PM

Rankin ran around the ballcarrier when defending and would never put a tackle in. Lewis can be relied on to take the ball and pressure the attacker. When Rankin tried to start an attack, he usually gave possession away cheaply. Lewis almost never gives away posession.

I'm willing to accept Lewis needs to improve his goalscoring and move.away from deep positions when Fenlon asks him to, but theres no comparison with Lewis 2011 and Rankin 2010. Except they are both midfielders. And short.

Hibs7
23-04-2012, 05:24 PM
How can Utd offer more than Hibs, they get smaller crowds, that is pathetic.

soupy
23-04-2012, 05:31 PM

They can't really, they are about £10m in debt...

Since90+2
23-04-2012, 05:36 PM
They can't really, they are about £10m in debt...

Nope. They are 3.8 Million in debt.

Spike Mandela
23-04-2012, 05:44 PM
Rankin ran around the ballcarrier when defending and would never put a tackle in. Lewis can be relied on to take the ball and pressure the attacker. When Rankin tried to start an attack, he usually gave possession away cheaply. Lewis almost never gives away posession.

I'm willing to accept Lewis needs to improve his goalscoring and move.away from deep positions when Fenlon asks him to, but theres no comparison with Lewis 2011 and Rankin 2010. Except they are both midfielders. And short.

Are you having a blooming laugh:greengrin Our midfield hardly ever has the ball never mind keeping possession. I am all for passionate defence of good players but there aren't any of our midfielders who couldn't be easily improved upon next season if PF gets his act together.

hibsbollah
23-04-2012, 05:48 PM
Are you having a blooming laugh:greengrin Our midfield hardly ever has the ball never mind keeping possession. I am all for passionate defence of good players but there aren't any of our midfielders who couldn't be easily improved upon next season if PF gets his act together.

What has your reply to my post got to do with the point im making?
Im not talking about how often our midfield has the ball, im talking about Lewis giving the ball away cheaply, which he hardly ever does.

greenlex
23-04-2012, 05:48 PM

No its true. Rarely doesnt find a hibs player.Rankine was the same.

Andy74
23-04-2012, 05:49 PM

Here we go again. Let's just have a go based on a stupid post on a forum.

greenlex
23-04-2012, 05:52 PM

Come on Andy all familys know who earns what. FFS

Billy Whizz
23-04-2012, 05:52 PM
Knowing Dannys recent injury situation Hibs would be stupid to offer a high basic. If he plays give him a decent wage

Part/Time Supporter
23-04-2012, 06:32 PM
Kenny Shiels was in the papers before yesterday's game saying he was interested in at least two of the players Hibs signed in January, but Killie couldn't compete with the offers made by Hibs.

But why let facts get in the way of a good moan?

Hibs7
23-04-2012, 06:36 PM

And what are we supposed to go by, we are not all on the inside like you. Mr knowitall.

Holmesdale Hibs
23-04-2012, 06:43 PM
Dundee United are alot better than us just now, he may well see it as a step down?

I'd take him if it was possible.

Wotherspiniesta
23-04-2012, 06:56 PM
Great? We're 6 points off the bottom of the league and the midfield has been nowhere to be seen. I'd say Stevenson has been OK but the midfield as a whole has failed us massively. I genuinely can't remember a game where our team has dominated in midfield, it's almost as if we've given up and decided to bypass it completely. Neither Osbourne or Stevenson will take the ball from the middle towards the forwards with pace or will be an option to pass to in the last third, which are essentials for at least one of the central pairing. I'm glad Stevenson has signed for another year but I want us to sign at least 4 midfielders, one for every position.

Quite honestly, I can't believe someone who has Boozy as their avatar can't appreciate the job Osbourne does.

Mikeystewart
23-04-2012, 06:57 PM

I have to agree with hibsbolah, Stevenson must have one of the highest completed pass % rate in our team. What I would say is that he may not give the ball away much but he doesn't do much with it either. Anyone can pass a ball 10 yards, the issue is when he passes it to another player it tends to be that player who gives it away.

Wotherspiniesta
23-04-2012, 06:59 PM
:agree:

That's my worry for the final. We have a better forward pairing than them and the new defence isn't as much of a problem as it was but the midfield has stayed non-existent. It struggles to make an impact against poor teams so unless there's a massive improvement it will get absolutely steam rollered against them, who dominate the midfield at the best of times. As much as I don't like it I'd be tempted to play 5 in midfield or at least drop Griffiths deeper.

So you think we have a good pairing up front and a poor midfield and your solution to this would be to drop one of our 2 forwards and put in another midfielder you don't rate?

That's great thinking.

Elephant Stone
23-04-2012, 07:13 PM
Quite honestly, I can't believe someone who has Boozy as their avatar can't appreciate the job Osbourne does.

You're clearly not quite right in the head if you'd compare Boozy to Osbourne in any way whatsoever. I'll not bother arguing about that.

Elephant Stone
23-04-2012, 07:20 PM
So you think we have a good pairing up front and a poor midfield and your solution to this would be to drop one of our 2 forwards and put in another midfielder you don't rate?

That's great thinking.

You must've missed the bit where I said "As much as I don't like doing it" or maybe you're just determined to have an argument, something seems to have touched a nerve here so I'm not sure which best fits.

Our midfield as it is will get steam rollered, we don't have any viable replacements, as much as I wouldn't like to do so I would think about dropping Griffiths a bit deeper to give the midfield an extra player close by to pass to.

That's not great thinking, it's trying the best out of a ****ing awful predicament. Hope you're OK with my idea.

blackpoolhibs
23-04-2012, 07:26 PM
You're clearly not quite right in the head if you'd compare Boozy to Osbourne in any way whatsoever. I'll not bother arguing about that.

:agree: Boozy on his day was superb, towards the end he gave a few Osbourne type performances, maybe thats where he gets the comparason from?

shagpile
23-04-2012, 08:23 PM
Always seems to score against us, I'd take him.

If he 'always seems to score against us' then he has played against Hibs only twice.

If he has played against Hibs more than two times, then he doesn't always score against us. & IIRC his temperament is a bit dodgy as he has been sent off a few times for stupid things. Once against Hibs for a handball minutes after coming on as a sub.

Wotherspiniesta
23-04-2012, 10:23 PM
You must've missed the bit where I said "As much as I don't like doing it" or maybe you're just determined to have an argument, something seems to have touched a nerve here so I'm not sure which best fits.

Our midfield as it is will get steam rollered, we don't have any viable replacements, as much as I wouldn't like to do so I would think about dropping Griffiths a bit deeper to give the midfield an extra player close by to pass to.

That's not great thinking, it's trying the best out of a ****ing awful predicament. Hope you're OK with my idea.

I think you know bugger all about football, but that's just my opinion.

A "****ing awful predicament"...we're playing Hearts, no Barcelona. We've got every chance of winning this game.

Glad you're no picking the team, that's all I can say.

Wotherspiniesta
23-04-2012, 10:26 PM
:agree: Boozy on his day was superb, towards the end he gave a few Osbourne type performances, maybe thats where he gets the comparason from?

Boozy on his day or off his day was still surrounded by KT, Brown, Shiels etc.

If Osbourne had that kind of quality around him, we'd be raving about him.

Elephant Stone
23-04-2012, 10:46 PM
A "****ing awful predicament"...we're playing Hearts, no Barcelona. We've got every chance of winning this game.

If being 6 points away from relegation with a few games left isn't an awful situation to you then you're in even more deluded than your Beuzelin and Osbourne comparison implies. This midfield is highly culpable for us being here and if it performs like it has all season there is a high chance we will lose to Hearts at Hampden and there is nothing I can possibly imagine in football which would be anywhere near as bad that.

Of course we've got a chance, I'm not saying we don't, I'm saying we need to make some changes to the midfield or hope for a much improved performance from them in the set up that we've got. Who knows? They might just give us one. I'd rather play it safe and remember how desperately impotent it's been all season and try to make a positive change.

Wotherspiniesta
23-04-2012, 11:04 PM
If being 6 points away from relegation with a few games left isn't an awful situation to you then you're in even more deluded than your Beuzelin and Osbourne comparison implies. This midfield is highly culpable for us being here and if it performs like it has all season there is a high chance we will lose to Hearts at Hampden and there is nothing I can possibly imagine in football which would be anywhere near as bad that.

Of course we've got a chance, I'm not saying we don't, I'm saying we need to make some changes to the midfield or hope for a much improved performance from them in the set up that we've got. Who knows? They might just give us one. I'd rather play it safe and remember how desperately impotent it's been all season and try to make a positive change.

The game you were talking about was the Hearts game, where you said you'd rather we played an extra midfielder and how we are in an "awful predicament" I'd hardly call being in a cup final an awful predicament. No doubting our league form has been crap. Most of that was down to Calderwood.

You've been laying into Osbourne since he came to the club aswell IIRC, so you're right, no point in arguing about that one as your mind is already made up.

Just think its a daft idea that you have to put more emphasis on a weaker part of our team (midfield) whilst destroying a partnership that could cause Hearts all kind of problems.

O'Connor and Sparky up top. Anything else and we're right up against it IMO.

HibeeDaz6270
23-04-2012, 11:43 PM

If Osbourne had that kind of quality around him, we'd be raving about him. Raving about him from the bench? as thats where he would be.

The Sea-gull
24-04-2012, 07:54 AM
If he 'always seems to score against us' then he has played against Hibs only twice.

If he has played against Hibs more than two times, then he doesn't always score against us. & IIRC his temperament is a bit dodgy as he has been sent off a few times for stupid things. Once against Hibs for a handball minutes after coming on as a sub.

I can think of three he has scored against us. Winner in a 1-0 in January 2010, cracker at ER in a midweek game also that season and one in the 3-3 at ER this season.

I get your point though, he maybe has three goals in 4 or 5 seasons worth of games v us.

I also get Iceman's point in that he has played well v us a good few times.

You are right about his temperament. I am sure Levein and Houston have had a go at him a few times for doing stupid things. He's still worth a gamble IMHO. We need players with that extra bit of skill and craft. Players who can pick a decisive pass, hit the bye line and make crosses and score the odd good goal themselves. We don't really have anyone doing this for us just now. Swanson on his day can do this though has had his problems.

The Dean Shiels who plays for Kilmarnock would be an excellent signing for the above reasons as he seems to have added consistency to his game since he left Hibs. Can't help but feel the player was always there, he just never got a chance really for a full season as a first XI pick when he was at Hibs. He would be first on the team sheet if he was at Hibs now, partly a sign of how he has improved and partly a sign of the drop in standards since he was last at Hibs.

Newry Hibs
24-04-2012, 08:05 AM
Who is the Hayes guy being mentioned?

Speedway
24-04-2012, 08:12 AM

Martin Hayes, ex-Celtic forward.

Since90+2
24-04-2012, 08:20 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonny_Hayes .

Scored a belter against us earlier in the season.

Cracking player.

The Sea-gull
24-04-2012, 08:21 AM
The game you were talking about was the Hearts game, where you said you'd rather we played an extra midfielder and how we are in an "awful predicament" I'd hardly call being in a cup final an awful predicament. No doubting our league form has been crap. Most of that was down to Calderwood.

You've been laying into Osbourne since he came to the club aswell IIRC, so you're right, no point in arguing about that one as your mind is already made up.

Just think its a daft idea that you have to put more emphasis on a weaker part of our team (midfield) whilst destroying a partnership that could cause Hearts all kind of problems.

O'Connor and Sparky up top. Anything else and we're right up against it IMO.

No fan of CC but he picked up 13 points from 42 available to him. Fenlon has got 13 from 54. Our other point was gained when Billy Brown was caretaker.

Fenlon is getting cut a hell of a lot of slack from us (myself included) purely because his minimum remit was to keep us up and he is still on track to do it. If we get relegated, some of it is CC's fault but a lot of questions have to be asked of Fenlon. In fact if we stay up, a lot of questions have to be asked of Fenlon but he deserves some more time to answer them.

mcvie7
24-04-2012, 08:36 AM

Wrong!!!

Jones28
24-04-2012, 08:39 AM
I can think of three he has scored against us. Winner in a 1-0 in January 2010, cracker at ER in a midweek game also that season and one in the 3-3 at ER this season.

I get your point though, he maybe has three goals in 4 or 5 seasons worth of games v us.

I also get Iceman's point in that he has played well v us a good few times.

You are right about his temperament. I am sure Levein and Houston have had a go at him a few times for doing stupid things. He's still worth a gamble IMHO. We need players with that extra bit of skill and craft. Players who can pick a decisive pass, hit the bye line and make crosses and score the odd good goal themselves. We don't really have anyone doing this for us just now. Swanson on his day can do this though has had his problems.

The Dean Shiels who plays for Kilmarnock would be an excellent signing for the above reasons as he seems to have added consistency to his game since he left Hibs. Can't help but feel the player was always there, he just never got a chance really for a full season as a first XI pick when he was at Hibs. He would be first on the team sheet if he was at Hibs now, partly a sign of how he has improved and partly a sign of the drop in standards since he was last at Hibs.

Swanson is a good player on his day, but you can bet that if he's being offered a vastly lower wage he'd rather go somewhere that will be silly enough to pay him what he wants. If he was playing every week then I'm confident he would merit full wages, but not when on the treatment table.

When Deano was here he didn't really get a run in the team at all. Like you say, the player was there but just never got the chance to prove it. Dean Sheils would be first pick in any team outwith the Old Firm IMO, he's developed that much :agree:

blackpoolhibs
24-04-2012, 09:20 AM

If Osbourne had that kind of quality around him, we'd be raving about him.

Oh another player only as good as those around him, is that why James McPake is so bad?:confused:

Wilson
24-04-2012, 09:22 AM
Oh another player only as good as those around him, is that why James McPake is so bad?:confused:

Paul Hanlon makes him look good.

blackpoolhibs
24-04-2012, 09:25 AM
Paul Hanlon makes him look good.

:greengrin Looks like we need 5 or 6 very good players, so those pish ones can play better. :wink:

Not that i'm saying Osbourne pish, but he's no world beater and part of a very poor midfield.

Since90+2
24-04-2012, 09:45 AM
:greengrin Looks like we need 5 or 6 very good players, so those pish ones can play better. :wink:

Not that i'm saying Osbourne pish, but he's no world beater and part of a very poor midfield.

Osbourne is our best centre midfielder IMO. Not saying that makes him a fantastic player though.

blackpoolhibs
24-04-2012, 09:59 AM
Osbourne is our best centre midfielder IMO. Not saying that makes him a fantastic player though.

He's an ok player, is he our best midfielder? :dunno: He's inconsistant, invisible one week, reasonable the next. I can count on the one finger the games he's been a stand out.

Since90+2
24-04-2012, 10:03 AM
He's an ok player, is he our best midfielder? :dunno: He's inconsistant, invisible one week, reasonable the next. I can count on the one finger the games he's been a stand out.

I think he is our best centre midfielder by default as its the weakest area of the side.

Hibernian Verse
24-04-2012, 10:13 AM
This thread really turned sour, as with most threads these days unfortunately. Noone wants to read petty bickering. If there's something good to say, say it. If not, don't bother.

HibeeMG
24-04-2012, 10:25 AM
No fan of CC but he picked up 13 points from 42 available to him. Fenlon has got 13 from 54. Our other point was gained when Billy Brown was caretaker.

Fenlon is getting cut a hell of a lot of slack from us (myself included) purely because his minimum remit was to keep us up and he is still on track to do it. If we get relegated, some of it is CC's fault but a lot of questions have to be asked of Fenlon. In fact if we stay up, a lot of questions have to be asked of Fenlon but he deserves some more time to answer them.

Statistics eh? :nerd:

I think football fans in general see more than statistics although sometimes they're hard to ignore. In Calderwood's case, he had to go as there was no hope of improvement. With Fenlon, we realise the situation he found himself in and we also see improvement both on and off the pitch. Sometimes these things can make up for the difference in points and give a manager some leeway.

scoopyboy
24-04-2012, 11:30 AM

Hannibal Hayes, strike partner of Kid Currie.

Albion Hibs
24-04-2012, 11:34 AM
Swanson is a good player, I would however think he has his sights set a little higher than hibs. He has performed well in a Dundee Utd team that has achieved over the past few seasons, he is probably set for a move down south for more than a few extra quid a week once his contract runs out.

Hank Schrader
24-04-2012, 11:44 AM

:greengrin

Wrong!!!

:greengrin

Winston Ingram
24-04-2012, 11:45 AM

This. Particularly Lewis:agree:

Wotherspiniesta
24-04-2012, 11:46 AM

Do you not think Paul Hanlon looks a lot more solid beside McPake?

Albion Hibs
24-04-2012, 11:50 AM

I would agree with that. Osbourne has been our only midfielder that is actually willing to take the ball and go past a player. Lewis (as good as he has been) and Claros spend most of their time passing 10 yards inside our own half or 5 yards into the opposite. Since Osbourne moved back into the midfield he has been the only one that looks to take the ball beyond the opposition defense, do not understand the level of crit he takes.

Andy74
24-04-2012, 11:53 AM
And what are we supposed to go by, we are not all on the inside like you. Mr knowitall.

Perhaps try not having a go when you don't know, like me.

JimBHibees
24-04-2012, 11:59 AM
I would agree with that. Osbourne has been our only midfielder that is actually willing to take the ball and go past a player. Lewis (as good as he has been) and Claros spend most of their time passing 10 yards inside our own half or 5 yards into the opposite. Since Osbourne moved back into the midfield he has been the only one that looks to take the ball beyond the opposition defense, do not understand the level of crit he takes.

I hear what you are saying and like him as a player however he is infuriating at times given the level of ability that he has with basic mistakes like simple passes going astray. He is one player on his day who could be a massive plus for Hibs if he hits form in the final however as Blackpool has said these great performances are rare and we mostly get a mixture of very good and rank average play from him.

blackpoolhibs
24-04-2012, 12:01 PM
Do you not think Paul Hanlon looks a lot more solid beside McPake?

Not particularly.

MWHIBBIES
24-04-2012, 12:10 PM
I have been impressed with Ozzy this season, one of CC better signings but we're badly missing someone to create something out of nothing in the midfield and if getting that means benching Ozzy then so be it.

I think Swanson would be a good signing, we have been needing wingers for a few years now so him and at least 1 more winger has to be a top priority IMO.

Wotherspiniesta
24-04-2012, 12:15 PM
Not particularly.

You can't have seen many games recently then.

Hanlon's been MUCH improved with McPake beside him.

Edit- Back on topic- Swanson would be a great addition IMO.

blackpoolhibs
24-04-2012, 12:20 PM
You can't have seen many games recently then.

Hanlon's been MUCH improved with McPake beside him.

Edit- Back on topic- Swanson would be a great addition IMO.

Obviously in your opinion? And i have been to quite a few games recently.

Spike Mandela
24-04-2012, 12:27 PM
I have been impressed with Ozzy this season, one of CC better signings but we're badly missing someone to create something out of nothing in the midfield and if getting that means benching Ozzy then so be it.

What I wouldn't give to be going into this final with a Boozy, Shiels, Zemmama, Latapy or Sauzee type midfielder. Hey ho, we have To go with what we've got and that appears to be Ozzy.

Speedway
24-04-2012, 12:37 PM
Wrong!!!

Surely not? It must be Purple Hayes then. He has experience.

Swanson is being offered half by Hibs because it's a pay as your play deal, by the way.

Wotherspiniesta
24-04-2012, 12:45 PM
Obviously in your opinion? And i have been to quite a few games recently.

Not really in my opinion. If you fail to see the improvement in Hanlon's game since McPake's arrival, you don't understand football.

Speedway
24-04-2012, 12:47 PM
Not really in my opinion. If you fail to see the improvement in Hanlon's game since McPake's arrival, you don't understand football.

Why can he still not clear a ball in any direction other than up then? Why is he still letting the ball bounce in front of him? Why is he still falling over when trying to turn, having been caught out of position?

What is this improvement you speak of?

Wotherspiniesta
24-04-2012, 12:57 PM
Why can he still not clear a ball in any direction other than up then? Why is he still letting the ball bounce in front of him? Why is he still falling over when trying to turn, having been caught out of position?

What is this improvement you speak of?

We've stopped conceding silly goals and our defence looks a lot more solid. The improvement I was talking about was the fact that Hanlon's got a decent centre back partner beside him for the firts time in ages (ever?) and our defence has improved greatly. Remember the St Johnstine game at Home? (2-3) You can't tell me we're not watching a different, more comfortable player than the Paun Hanlon from that game.

Speedway
24-04-2012, 01:00 PM
We've stopped conceding silly goals and our defence looks a lot more solid. The improvement I was talking about was the fact that Hanlon's got a decent centre back partner beside him for the firts time in ages (ever?) and our defence has improved greatly. Remember the St Johnstine game at Home? (2-3) You can't tell me we're not watching a different, more comfortable player than the Paun Hanlon from that game.

I agree that our defence has improved but that's more down to the quality of Doherty and McPake than it is an improvement in Hanlon...and Kujabi is the new Boco for me.

Wotherspiniesta
24-04-2012, 01:08 PM
I agree that our defence has improved but that's more down to the quality of Doherty and McPake than it is an improvement in Hanlon...and Kujabi is the new Boco for me.

McPake himself think's Hanlon was even better than him in the semi v Aberdeen.

McPake's been brilliant. Hanlon's been much improved.

blackpoolhibs
24-04-2012, 01:12 PM

The improvement of both full backs and another centre half have improved us, hanlon is still making most of the same mistakes he made before they arrived, but better players are able to clear them up now.

Has he suddenly got quicker, has his passing ability improved, and does he now out muscle players he previously didn't?

What are these improvements i'm failing to see?:confused:

Wotherspiniesta
24-04-2012, 01:39 PM
The improvement of both full backs and another centre half have improved us, hanlon is still making most of the same mistakes he made before they arrived, but better players are able to clear them up now.

Has he suddenly got quicker, has his passing ability improved, and does he now out muscle players he previously didn't?

What are these improvements i'm failing to see?:confused:

His improvement is playing a good part in a much more solid defence. He has a great understanding with McPake. McPake attacks the ball, Hanlon drops off, dealing with balls in behind. Can you remember any glaring mistakes Hanlon has made in the past few weeks/months? he gave away a penalty at ICT, apart from that, I can't remember many. At the start of the season alongside O'Hanlon he was making some very basic errors. They've pretty much dried up.

Think its an absolute embarassment that we've got people still attacking Hanlon when he's been an integral part of a much more solid back four.

blackpoolhibs
24-04-2012, 01:48 PM
His improvement is playing a good part in a much more solid defence. He has a great understanding with McPake. McPake attacks the ball, Hanlon drops off, dealing with balls in behind. Can you remember any glaring mistakes Hanlon has made in the past few weeks/months? he gave away a penalty at ICT, apart from that, I can't remember many. At the start of the season alongside O'Hanlon he was making some very basic errors. They've pretty much dried up.

Think its an absolute embarassment that we've got people still attacking Hanlon when he's been an integral part of a much more solid back four.

Perhaps O'Hanlon should partner McPake?

The penalty at inverness was only one of many mistakes he made that day. While i think he played well on Sunday, and during the semi made some timely tackles, he was still caught the wrong side of his man on a few occasions, and while i accept he's the best we have to partner McPake, i'd much prefer another McPake like player in beside James.

SteveHFC
24-04-2012, 01:57 PM
On Pie and Bovril. Paul Cairney (Partick Thistle) and Fouad Bachirou (Morton) have been rumoured to us :cb

blackpoolhibs
24-04-2012, 02:23 PM
On Pie and Bovril. Paul Cairney (Partick Thistle) and (Fouad Bachirou) have been rumoured to us :cb

Never heard of them, what positions do they play?

SteveHFC
24-04-2012, 02:36 PM
Never heard of them, what positions do they play?

Both Midfielders :aok:

bigwheel
24-04-2012, 02:41 PM

The penalty at inverness was only one of many mistakes he made that day. While i think he played well on Sunday, and during the semi made some timely tackles, he was still caught the wrong side of his man on a few occasions, and while i accept he's the best we have to partner McPake, i'd much prefer another McPake like player in beside James.

I think we constantly under-estimate the value than Hanlon brings. He has a decent turn of pace, comfortable on the ball, good in the air and takes responsibility...he is also left sided which brings balance to the team ...he improves consistently each season ... He will go on to play at a higher level...

He is a player that will seem better when he is gone . Fletcher only really matured in his final season, he wasn't seen as a top talent before then..

Johnny_Leith
24-04-2012, 02:55 PM
On Pie and Bovril. Paul Cairney (Partick Thistle) and Fouad Bachirou (Morton) have been rumoured to us :cb

Good pal of mine is a Ton(poor lad) although he's a soft spot for the hibees!

Anyway he describes bachirou as 'outstanding'

Morton are having a french themed last day of the season in his honour apparently

blackpoolhibs
24-04-2012, 03:01 PM
I think we constantly under-estimate the value than Hanlon brings. He has a decent turn of pace, comfortable on the ball, good in the air and takes responsibility...he is also left sided which brings balance to the team ...he improves consistently each season ... He will go on to play at a higher level...

He is a player that will seem better when he is gone . Fletcher only really matured in his final season, he wasn't seen as a top talent before then..

I must watch a different game, as i certainly would not in a million years say he has a decent turn of pace. And comfortable on the ball???????? His range of passing is long and longer. While i'd say he has improved a little year on year, he's still young and hopefully will play at a higher level, but imo i dont see it at the moment.

bawheid
24-04-2012, 03:10 PM
I must watch a different game, as i certainly would not in a million years say he has a decent turn of pace. And comfortable on the ball???????? His range of passing is long and longer. While i'd say he has improved a little year on year, he's still young and hopefully will play at a higher level, but imo i dont see it at the moment.

I watched him play for the Scotland U-21s against Holland recently and thought he was immense. He's struggled in a poor Hibs side, but as a CH, still has plenty time on his side.

hibsbollah
24-04-2012, 03:23 PM
I'm not a massive Hanlon fan. But you have to give credit where its due and say hes been far,far better recently with McPake in there. Defending is a team effort.

blackpoolhibs
24-04-2012, 03:28 PM
I watched him play for the Scotland U-21s against Holland recently and thought he was immense. He's struggled in a poor Hibs side, but as a CH, still has plenty time on his side.

I watched it too, and agree he looks good at that level. I also agree he's young, has time on his side, but i'm watching a very poor Hibs team, thats leaked goals for a number of years, and he's been part of that poor side.

I want him to succeed, the more home grown players the better. I want him sold for £1-2-3m in the coming year or so, but i get back to what i see with my own eyes on a Saturday, and thats a slow cumbersome central defender, easily bullied and little passing skills. Over to you Paul, prove me wrong.

PatHead
24-04-2012, 03:29 PM

Whilst Hanlon still has room to improve I would rather money was spent on creating a midfield.

blackpoolhibs
24-04-2012, 03:30 PM
Whilst Hanlon still has room to improve I would rather money was spent on creating a midfield.

Listen, when all these loan players go back in the summer, we have a huge rebuilding job to do, all over the pitch.

At The Edge
24-04-2012, 03:37 PM
Listen, when all these loan players go back in the summer, we have a huge rebuilding job to do, all over the pitch.

Pat looks like he aware of this according to his HTV interview today, bounce game tomorrow with a few trialists involved?

Wotherspiniesta
24-04-2012, 04:37 PM
I watched it too, and agree he looks good at that level. I also agree he's young, has time on his side, but i'm watching a very poor Hibs team, thats leaked goals for a number of years, and he's been part of that poor side.

I want him to succeed, the more home grown players the better. I want him sold for £1-2-3m in the coming year or so, but i get back to what i see with my own eyes on a Saturday, and thats a slow cumbersome central defender, easily bullied and little passing skills. Over to you Paul, prove me wrong.

So you think he's slow, cumbersome, easily bullied and can't pass but you think he's good enough to be sold for up to £3m in a year?

Is that you, Rod? :wink:

Macaroon
24-04-2012, 04:58 PM

Both are very solid defensively. But there is no creativity whatsoever going forward. Even Osbourne has off days defensively then he is just dead weight in midfield. I'm baffled you didn't see that after the possession:chances ratio of the Killie game.

Shiels is the perfect player imo and him playing in CM with a slightly more defensive minded Stevenson, with Swanson and Hayes out wide. Would do the trick very well indeed.

Macaroon
24-04-2012, 05:01 PM
Tom Cairney out of contract in the summer. :cb

Purse oot Petrie ! :na na:

.Sean.
24-04-2012, 05:06 PM
On Pie and Bovril. Paul Cairney (Partick Thistle) and Fouad Bachirou (Morton) have been rumoured to us :cbFenlon and Brown watched him score a hat-trick on Saturday.

blackpoolhibs
24-04-2012, 05:13 PM
So you think he's slow, cumbersome, easily bullied and can't pass but you think he's good enough to be sold for up to £3m in a year?

Is that you, Rod? :wink:

Where did i say that?:confused::confused:

Wotherspiniesta
24-04-2012, 05:28 PM

Over to you, Petrie. :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
24-04-2012, 05:31 PM
Over to you, Petrie. :greengrin

Again, where do i say he's worth any money?

Wotherspiniesta
24-04-2012, 05:46 PM
Again, where do i say he's worth any money?

How much do you reckon he's worth then?

Seeing as you're just intent on ripping the guy to shreds.

You "want" £3m for him, but how much do you reckon a slow, cumbersome, weak, crap passing centre half is worth these days?

Wouldn't it be great if he were reading this thread? Leading up to the biggest game in his life. I'm sure you're helping encourage him, BH.

blackpoolhibs
24-04-2012, 06:00 PM
How much do you reckon he's worth then?

Seeing as you're just intent on ripping the guy to shreds.

You "want" £3m for him, but how much do you reckon a slow, cumbersome, weak, crap passing centre half is worth these days?

Wouldn't it be great if he were reading this thread? Leading up to the biggest game in his life. I'm sure you're helping encourage him, BH.

Its a message board and as such there will be pro and cons on it on every subject. 100K tops.

GreenPJ
24-04-2012, 06:17 PM
Can we rename the thread to be started off as a rumours about possible new signings but then reverted back to the usual just slate existing players because there is obviously not enough threads about that.

Wotherspiniesta
24-04-2012, 06:17 PM
:rolleyes:

Any news on Danny Swanson?

eastmainsmsh
24-04-2012, 07:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bRa9ps6tG8

yes please sign him:flag:

Macaroon
24-04-2012, 07:48 PM

Just looks like a quicker Osbourne to me. That isn't what we need.

In my eyes we need flair and creativity in attack. We are missing a Zemmama or Shiels. He isn't that imo.

hibsbollah
24-04-2012, 08:01 PM
Swansons nothung like Osborne. Hes small fast great feet can beat people and has a great free kick. Unfortunately he blows hot and cold, has had treatment for social anxiety and has a bad injury record.

I love the guy, ive wanted.him signed.for two seasons.

bingo70
24-04-2012, 08:05 PM
Swansons nothung like Osborne. Hes small fast great feet can beat people and has a great free kick. Unfortunately he blows hot and cold, has had treatment for social anxiety and has a bad injury record.

I love the guy, ive wanted.him signed.for two seasons.

Pretty sure he's talking about the Morton player.

hibsbollah
24-04-2012, 08:11 PM
Pretty sure he's talking about the Morton player.

Aye I just noticed that. :doh: a bit tired :greengrin

SheriffLobo
24-04-2012, 09:21 PM

He looking bad but will he be willing to leave scoltand to come play here? I dunno what weather is like but assume its better than here ?

Callum_62
25-04-2012, 05:07 AM
He looking bad but will he be willing to leave scoltand to come play here? I dunno what weather is like but assume its better than here ?

Greenock is another planet, I agree :wink::greengrin

BT58
25-04-2012, 05:47 AM
All the guys passes went to a team mate,, nae good to us,,lol
Certainly has something
Who was the last Fred in our team?? Arpinion perhaps
Bt

PeterboroHibee
25-04-2012, 07:13 AM
That Morton player does look quite exciting but its difficult to tell what his whole game is like from a youtube video.

Other teams seem to do really well picking up players from the lower leagues, and have built some really strong teams as a result. This is something we dont seem to do very often which I cant understand.

blackpoolhibs
25-04-2012, 10:04 AM
He looks very comfortable on the ball, and can pass well. Can he make the step up in class? :dunno:

As others have said, clubs much better than us have cherry picked players from the lower leagues in Scotland, why not us?

SteveHFC
25-04-2012, 01:00 PM
Hibs are keen to sign boyhood supporter Danny Swanson, who is out of contract at Dundee United in the summer. (Sun)

Also reported on Radio Tay. We are keen to sign him :aok:

3pm
25-04-2012, 05:23 PM
Swanson's Mrs has taken to Twitter to say it's a load of pish. Just on STV news!

Billychaotic182
25-04-2012, 07:52 PM
Swanson's Mrs has taken to Twitter to say it's a load of pish. Just on STV news!

What did they say on STV????

3pm
25-04-2012, 07:55 PM
What did they say on STV????

Right on the end of the Sports bulletin, the girl who does the sport said his partner had been on twitter to say the rumoirs were inaccurate.

Andy74
25-04-2012, 08:38 PM

She'd know what Hibs are thinking?

3pm
25-04-2012, 08:54 PM
She'd know what Hibs are thinking?

How would I know? I didn't send the tweet.

Joe
25-04-2012, 11:39 PM
http://www.theglaswegian.co.uk/glasgow-sport/2012/04/05/spl-clubs-eye-move-for-partick-thistle-star-paul-cairney-as-midfielder-mulls-over-new-jags-deal-102692-23814182/

Joe
25-04-2012, 11:43 PM
http://www.theglaswegian.co.uk/glasgow-sport/2012/04/23/partick-thistle-ace-paul-cairney-team-mates-didn-t-want-me-to-hit-penalty-for-hat-trick-102692-23834713/

and Hibs interest mentioned in this

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/sfl/division-one/2012/04/22/division-one-dundee-0-partick-th-3-86908-23833324/

Joe
25-04-2012, 11:47 PM
Some of this lot are saying the deals done

http://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php/topic/171386-cairney-to-move/page__st__25

brog
26-04-2012, 10:55 AM

Danny's Missus still thinks he's at Berwick like! :wink:

PatHead
26-04-2012, 11:36 AM
So this is how rumours work!

Pies and Bovril re Paul Cairney

I believe his agent is Darren Jackson.

who used to play with hibs and who knows john collins who used to be their manager and paul has the same number of letters as hibs. done deal.

Billychaotic182
26-04-2012, 12:05 PM
So this is how rumours work!

Pies and Bovril re Paul Cairney

I believe his agent is Darren Jackson.

who used to play with hibs and who knows john collins who used to be their manager and paul has the same number of letters as hibs. done deal.

I had a wee chuckle with this post also

silverhibee
26-04-2012, 12:58 PM
He looks very comfortable on the ball, and can pass well. Can he make the step up in class? :dunno:

As others have said, clubs much better than us have cherry picked players from the lower leagues in Scotland, why not us?

We do though, Jimmy Scott, paid a fee for him too and gave him a ridiculous contract, my we worry would be is that PF is being seen a lot watching games from the lower divisions, is this the type of player we are going to see at ER next season, yes there may be a few gems down there but it seems that a few English clubs are taking note of these players and sniffing around them, Fenlon has been seen at a few Falkirk games and one of the players he may be looking at may want to head down South.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/2012/04/26/aberdeen-target-farid-el-alagui-but-falkirk-star-has-his-heart-set-on-move-to-england-86908-23837723/

brog
26-04-2012, 04:24 PM
We do though, Jimmy Scott, paid a fee for him too and gave him a ridiculous contract, my we worry would be is that PF is being seen a lot watching games from the lower divisions, is this the type of player we are going to see at ER next season, yes there may be a few gems down there but it seems that a few English clubs are taking note of these players and sniffing around them, Fenlon has been seen at a few Falkirk games and one of the players he may be looking at may want to head down South.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/2012/04/26/aberdeen-target-farid-el-alagui-but-falkirk-star-has-his-heart-set-on-move-to-england-86908-23837723/

I think its like always Silver, there's good players there but they have to be the right ones. Dundee U have done exceptionally well with the likes of Gomis, Swanson, Conway, Robertson & Dixon all coming from lower leagues in Scotland. Hurts to say it but Yams signings of Templeton & Webster were also excellent. Leigh G of course also started in a lower league, as did the internationals Dorrans & Snodgrass, what is it with Livi?
The other essential is that new players are given a chance to bed in at a higher level, both by teammates & fans. I remember us signing a very raw full back from Stirling over 40 years ago now. His 1st touch was terrible but his energy & enthusiasm was outstanding so he was appreciated by the fans & he was nursed through his early days by the maestro Stanton. Now it's unlikely there's another Erich out there but we need to give PF & whoever he signs our support. We shouldn't let our Jimmy Scott experience ( I agree your thoughts ) stop us from continuing to look.