PDA

View Full Version : Being Hibs

joe breezy
21-04-2012, 04:26 AM
Supporting Hibs I a big part of my identity, it means being cooler, more bohemian, less establishment and much better than the classless, oft racist and sectarian Herts.

Being Hibs doesn't rely on success on the field or winning the Scottish Cup.

That's my sense of wellbeing.

When I put all my faith in 11 guys, some of whom aren't the greatest players in the World, that's when it doesn't always work.

Hibs beating Hearts would be great but at the moment, I think they have a much stronger team than Hibs.

I'm not expecting Hibs to win at all, I was actually hoping we would somehow sign 3 or 4 players that may be available via some loophole or maybe the Huns will go bust to sign some of them.

There were a lot of mistakes made against Aberdeen that a better team would have capitalised on.

If Hearts turn up I can't see Hibs winning but I'd still always rather be Hibs than anything else.

Phil D. Rolls
21-04-2012, 08:06 AM
Supporting Hibs I a big part of my identity, it means being cooler, more bohemian, less establishment and much better than the classless, oft racist and sectarian Herts.

When I put all my faith in 11 guys, some of whom aren't the greatest players in the World, that's when it doesn't always work.

Hibs beating Hearts would be great but at the moment, I think they have a much stronger team than Hibs.

I'm not expecting Hibs to win at all, I was actually hoping we would somehow sign 3 or 4 players that may be available via some loophole or maybe the Huns will go bust to sign some of them.

There were a lot of mistakes made against Aberdeen that a better team would have capitalised on.

If Hearts turn up I can't see Hibs winning but I'd still always rather be Hibs than anything else.

Have to agree about the mistakes. Player for player they are miles ahead of us. Any rational analysis would mean that we needn't bother turning up.

But - especially in this diddy cup - when have Hibs ever been rational? We have absolutely nothing to lose.

IFONLY
21-04-2012, 08:18 AM
Have to agree about the mistakes. Player for player they are miles ahead of us. Any rational analysis would mean that we needn't bother turning up.

But - especially in this diddy cup - when have Hibs ever been rational? We have absolutely nothing to lose.

A bit extreme to say that player for player they are miles ahead, one or two maybe but not player for player IMO.

Green Cabbage 7
21-04-2012, 07:43 PM

Don't agree at all very even player for player however belief and effort maybe, but that will be there this time in a final for sure!

Scouse Hibee
21-04-2012, 07:47 PM
Desire/Passion/Belief the three things that IMO they have beaten us with hands down recently. I certainly don't agree that they have better players all over the pitch.

ehf
21-04-2012, 08:02 PM
Don't agree at all very even player for player however belief and effort maybe, but that will be there this time in a final for sure!

Leaving aside the fact that in a properly regulated regime they would not have been able to sign Beattie and would not be in the final, this game is not going to be decided by ability, or tactics; it will be decided by Karma (it already has) and we will win it!

joe breezy
21-04-2012, 08:05 PM
Leaving aside the fact that in a properly regulated regime they would not have been able to sign Beattie and would not be in the final, this game is not going to be decided by ability, or tactics; it will be decided by Karma (it already has) and we will win it!

Well I hope you're right, I guess I prefer to not get my hopes up, then I don't get too disappointed, if the best case scenario happens, what a great surprise

Scouse Hibee
21-04-2012, 08:07 PM
]Leaving aside the fact that in a properly regulated regime they would not have been able to sign Beattie and would not be in the final,[/B] this game is not going to be decided by ability, or tactics; it will be decided by Karma (it already has) and we will win it!

Come on let's not go down that route, we're better than that! They're in the final on merit the same as us.

Jones28
21-04-2012, 08:22 PM
I reckon that after January in terms of players in key areas we are fairly similar.

Mcpake vs Zaliukas/Webster? Nothing needs said, big James wins that hands down.

Kujabi vs Grainger? Similar, Kujabi better going forward though.

Doherty vs Hammill? Hmmm, interesting clash, reckon Doherty edges it though :agree:

Sproule vs Driver? Both having poor seasons, but if Sproule plays a blinder he is a far better player than Driver on his day IMHO.

Central midfield Hearts are better, Black and Taouil are two good players.

Up front Garry and Leigh are far better than Kyle/Sutton/whoever else they have

Bring them on :aok::flag:

ehf
21-04-2012, 08:24 PM
Come on let's not go down that route, we're better than that! They're in the final on merit the same as us.

Not making a big thing of it just now but it's true: they are living way beyond their means and are technically insolvent. Massively. When Vlad pulls the plug it will be meltdown and if no-one is prepared to offer more than 12 million to save the Huns, what hope do they have?

Again, leaving that aside, they have a very good manager and some decent players, but it is fated that we will win this.

Broken Gnome
21-04-2012, 08:37 PM
I reckon that after January in terms of players in key areas we are fairly similar.

Doherty vs Hammill? Hmmm, interesting clash, reckon Doherty edges it though :agree:

Sproule vs Driver? Both having poor seasons, but if Sproule plays a blinder he is a far better player than Driver on his day IMHO.

I'm up for blinkered confidence as much as anyone, but the Sproule/Driver comparison isn't quite the reality...

Jones28
21-04-2012, 08:43 PM
I'm up for blinkered confidence as much as anyone, but the Sproule/Driver comparison isn't quite the reality...

Clutching at straws is the expression :wink:

The other points stand though :agree:

Stevo1875
21-04-2012, 09:18 PM

its not about individuals. its about how well the 11 selected play together. while we are improving, we will need to peak come the final. the fixtures we have between now and then will tell a lot. we need all key players available and most definitely, our defense needs to be fit and full of confidence. we know we can score if we keep the ball and apply some pressure. lets hope we have the form to show the desire and determination needed to make history GGTTH

Northernhibee
21-04-2012, 09:41 PM

Well, it didn't take a linesman disallowing a perfectly good opposition goal for us to get through, unlike the yams against the mighty Auchinlech Talbot!

stu in nottingham
21-04-2012, 09:50 PM
Hearts' players are not 'miles ahead' of their Hibs contemporaries. They have simply played with more confidence this season while Hibs have been completely shorn of it for a long period of time. A few wins for Hibs and things would look completely different. Hibs have some excellent individuals. I don't buy into the Jambo delusion of themselves.

ehf
21-04-2012, 10:01 PM
Hearts' players are not 'miles ahead' of their Hibs contemporaries. They have simply played with more confidence this season while Hibs have been completely shorn of it for a long period of time. A few wins for Hibs and things would look completely different. Hibs have some excellent individuals. I don't buy into the Jambo delusion of themselves.
Bang on.

PatHead
21-04-2012, 11:05 PM
Well, it didn't take a linesman disallowing a perfectly good opposition goal for us to get through, unlike the yams against the mighty Auchinlech Talbot!

or a really soft injury time penalty against St Johnstone at McDermott Park

Scouse Hibee
21-04-2012, 11:11 PM
or a really soft injury time penalty against St Johnstone at McDermott Park

Oh dear!

Pete
22-04-2012, 03:17 AM

I don't agree with those who say they are better individually than we are. I can honestly go through the team and say we have the better players on paper...but all that means nothing on the day.

The key is for us to turn up because that hasn't really happened for a long time. If we both turn up then it's 50/50 regardless of league position.

"Being Hibs" for me is about class in victory or defeat. If we both turn up and we get beat fair and square we should walk out of that ground with our heads high, look the jambos in the eye and take it. We should shake their hand, congratulate them and even buy them a drink if the situation calls for it. There will always be aggressive gloaters but this is a city where there are so many mixed pubs and the banter will be great regardless of the result...and even in their ranks hatred is the exception rather than the rule.
They have went through a rollercoaster ride to get to the final and have had a tough draw so if they outplay us and win then I'll respect their achievement.
Even if we lose our time will come soon, as we will have extra money for Pat to spend...and there will be at least two clubs with significantly less to spend in the transfer market next season. This final is about a new chapter for us as far as I'm concerned and I'm gutted about not being able to afford a season ticket for more than the obvious reason.

However, we wont lose the cup final.

I'll still conduct myself with dignity and class in victory which is the hibernian way. No gloating or shouting...just sheer happiness, an offer of a handshake and a drink to the defeated party and the realisation that we could be the ones in their shoes next season.

We're going to win folks but remember that they are both imposters and we'll still be Hibernians regardless!:flag: