PDA

View Full Version : Players' Player of the Year (Lomas not happy)

The Sea-gull
20-04-2012, 01:35 PM
Sorry to post a non-Hibs and not Scottish cup final thread, just trying to distract my mind from it.

I see that Steve Lomas is not happy that a Saints player (mainly Sandaza) was not shortlisted.

I do see his point in a way but he does say that as they have had a good season their best player should be shortlisted. I would say that Motherwell have even better argument on this basis and nothing said by McCall yet. Surely POTY is about the player and not his club's achievements so a player playing well in a struggling team is just as worthy of a nomination like in the case of Scott Parker at West Ham last season.

Trouble is, the old firm have the best players and like all of Scotland, most Scottish players will support one or the other so there will always be a couple of OF players in the four. Has Steve Davis really been that good this season? Seems like he is in there as the token Hun.

I would have said that the four should have been Mulgrew, Daly, Sheils and Sandaza.

Ojamaa of Motherwell might have been on it if he had arrived sooner but POTY is surely about someone who has performed all season and he only came for the second half.

Surprised and delighted to see Deano in there. Must be a great feeling for him to be recognised by his fellow pros. He is a good player who has had a good season and I wonder if his fellow pros are also acknowledging the respect they have for him being able to perform so well with the use of only one eye.

Eyrie
20-04-2012, 06:37 PM
There's no reason why the shortlist couldn't be expanded to six or even eight. The extra players may not have a chance of winning, but it would give the likes of Sandaza some recognition for a good year.