PDA

View Full Version : Tri-colour has no place at Hampden.....don't bring them! (flag debate)

SkintHibby
19-04-2012, 08:33 PM
First of all, hear me out please!

I'm a non-religious Hibernian FC fan who loves the thought of a united Ireland and an independent Scotland. I love the Saltire, the tri-colour and I hate the butchers apron with a passion.

Heart of Midlothian fans will be adorning Hampden with their Union flags so PLEASE don't let us us fall into the trap of the rest of Scotland thinking we are an eastern extension of the OF.

Leave the religious and political flags at home folks.

Let the world know we are the biggest non-religious, non-sectarian, non-political football club in Scotland!!!

JIm
19-04-2012, 08:40 PM

I'm a non-religious Hibernian FC fan who loves the thought of a united Ireland and an independent Scotland. I love the Saltire, the tri-colour and I hate the butchers apron with a passion.

Heart of Midlothian fans will be adorning Hampden with their Union flags so PLEASE don't let us us fall into the trap of the rest of Scotland thinking we are an eastern extension of the OF.

Let the world know we are the biggest non-religious, non-sectarian, non-political football club in Scotland!!!

:tin hat:

BroxburnHibee
19-04-2012, 08:40 PM
Oh god :greengrin

JIm
19-04-2012, 08:41 PM
Oh god :greengrin

haha - here we go.

Wembley67
19-04-2012, 08:42 PM
I love my tri colour, I'm bringing two at least.

Mikey
I agree :agree:

I don't remember seeing any at the semi.

Or songs about Mercer and paedos.

Let's make it a great Hibby family day out.

Hibs Class
:troll:

Sean1875
19-04-2012, 08:43 PM
tbh the rest of Scotland can think what they want about us, we were founded by Irish immigrants so if folk want to bring their tri-colours to Hampden for one of the biggest games in our history then that's perfectly fine in my eyes. Might just be me, but whenever the subject is brought up about Hibs and the tri-colour with fans of teams other than the OF and Hearts they all seem to have respect for the fact were bringing it as part of our history and not just jumping on the bandwagon like Celtic fans or bringing a Union purely to wind up every other person (which i know personally a few people like this) like the Huns and the Minis.

And for the record I wont be bringing my tri-colour anyways, just thought id contribute :greengrin

green glory
19-04-2012, 08:44 PM
I agree. National flags have no place in club grounds. I go to ER for football, not politics.

Sean1875
19-04-2012, 08:44 PM
I know im gonna regret adding to this discussion any minute soon... :greengrin

Mikey
19-04-2012, 08:45 PM
I know im gonna regret adding to this discussion any minute soon... :greengrin

Me too :greengrin

BoltonHibee
19-04-2012, 08:53 PM
The New Lancashire Flag is a 40ft by 40ft Tri Colour, with Lancashire Hibs in Celtic writing.

Should we not bring it now?

OxoHibby
19-04-2012, 08:55 PM

There was a couple in the East stand at the semi.
Forgetting any heritage aspects what about any Irish Hibs fans who want to display them as you sometimes see saltires at EPL games for scottish supporters clubs.

Congruence
19-04-2012, 08:58 PM
I'm taking my Séamas Ó Conghaile Flag

linlithgowhibbie
19-04-2012, 09:00 PM
The New Lancashire Flag is a 40ft by 40ft Tri Colour, with Lancashire Hibs in Celtic writing.

Naw!!!!!:na na::pfgwa:pfgwa

linlithgowhibbie
19-04-2012, 09:01 PM

If its "Celtc" writing, what have you mis spelt?:confused::pfgwa

The_Todd
19-04-2012, 09:03 PM

There was plenty of that at the Semi in D4.

:no way:

vein
19-04-2012, 09:04 PM

What, you mean you screwed up the spelling? ;-)

Damn phone I was too late with my witty retort!

Baldy
19-04-2012, 09:06 PM

what made you go for a tricolour? I am all for the Republic of Ireland Hibs having a Tri Colour by what has the tricolour got to do with Lancashire?
:confused:

BoltonHibee
19-04-2012, 09:06 PM
Naw!!!!!:na na::pfgwa:pfgwa

£500! We can see if they'll take it back and give us a refund. :)

Spike Mandela
19-04-2012, 09:07 PM
Tho only 'tricolour' I want to see is white and green on silver.:flag:

BoltonHibee
19-04-2012, 09:08 PM
what made you go for a tricolour? I am all for the Republic of Ireland Hibs having a Tri Colour by what has the tricolour got to do with Lancashire?
:confused:

Nothing really to do with Lancashire, but everything to do with Hibernian

Hibercelona
19-04-2012, 09:09 PM
Take green and white Hibs flags, like we did against Killie in 07.

SkintHibby
19-04-2012, 09:10 PM
I kept clicking the delete button because I realised the furore my post would cause. To my horror I came back onto Hibs.net to see my post top of the bill!

I'd hate to look back on the Edinburgh final on TV and see Union flags on one side and tri-colours on the other.

Remember this people:

Hibs have always distanced themselves from Celtic. Hearts have always affiliated themselves to Rangers. Do not forget it.:agree:

RickyS
19-04-2012, 09:12 PM

whats wrong with celebrating the clubs roots?

Congruence
19-04-2012, 09:13 PM
Delusion

Sylar
19-04-2012, 09:17 PM
whats wrong with celebrating the clubs roots?

Aren't the crest, colours and name enough?

SlickShoes
19-04-2012, 09:22 PM
I guess 11 pages.

Sylar
19-04-2012, 09:24 PM
I guess 11 pages.

I'm disappointed someone felt the need to give the thread a 1 star rating before the fun really gets underway.

How impatient :greengrin

Saorsa
19-04-2012, 09:24 PM
Should add this as a prefix tae the thread title

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b168/jamie1971/FLAGALERT.gif

Johnny Clash
19-04-2012, 09:25 PM
Personally I don't mind if our support want to take them along... after all, Hibs used to fly one above the stadium back in the early years.

Same goes for the Harp flag with 'Erin Go Bragh' on it - that's the exact copy of our original club badge. "An if you know yer history"... and all that.
I get a laugh at Celtic supporters who wave the Harp flag about - they think it's cool just coz 'it's Irish' but don't have a clue it's linked with Hibs.

So each to their own - so long's everyone is bursting their lungs cheering on the cabbage then I aint bothered.

Main thing is that we are all up for it from the word go as that will give the players a huge boost!

blackpoolhibs
19-04-2012, 09:26 PM

:greengrin Will it be ready for the game on Sunday?

Jonnyboy
19-04-2012, 09:26 PM
Far as I'm concerned fans can fly whatever they like as long as we win :greengrin

PS I think thousands of those green and white checkered flags would look amazing :wink:

Andy74
19-04-2012, 09:27 PM

I'm sure you mean well but it's you making the connection you are scared others will make.

BoltonHibee
19-04-2012, 09:28 PM
I think it will give the Irish lads in the squad and the manager a wee lift too, coming out to a sea of green white and gold Tri colours.

blackpoolhibs
19-04-2012, 09:29 PM
I think it will give the Irish lads in the squad and the manager a wee lift too, coming out to a sea of green white and gold Tri colours.

:agree: How heavy will it be Moray?

BoltonHibee
19-04-2012, 09:29 PM
:greengrin Will it be ready for the game on Sunday?

I only get the gold paint on Saturday, so it might not be dry in time!

clerriehibs
19-04-2012, 09:31 PM
tbh the rest of Scotland can think what they want about us, we were founded by Irish immigrants so if folk want to bring their tri-colours to Hampden for one of the biggest games in our history then that's perfectly fine in my eyes. Might just be me, but whenever the subject is brought up about Hibs and the tri-colour with fans of teams other than the OF and Hearts they all seem to have respect for the fact were bringing it as part of our history and not just jumping on the bandwagon like Celtic fans or bringing a Union purely to wind up every other person (which i know personally a few people like this) like the Huns and the Minis.

And for the record I wont be bringing my tri-colour anyways, just thought id contribute :greengrin

Celtc fans are jumping on a bandwagon with their tricolours? Eh? Can you jump on your own bandwagon?

People can be anti-tricolour and union flag, or pro anyone's right to have a flag. But it's hypocritical for anyone to say their flag of choice not in their club colours is ok but someone else's isn't.

TornadoHibby
19-04-2012, 09:32 PM
Me too :greengrin

I'm gonna switch the computer off until the thread has gone over the hill of "heated debate"!! :agree: :greengrin

Hibrandenburg
19-04-2012, 09:32 PM

Shouldn't you bring a George Cross? (Tin hat and full body armour smiley).

BoltonHibee
19-04-2012, 09:33 PM

Your cousin is bringing that one :)

blackpoolhibs
19-04-2012, 09:35 PM

We have one in green and black that the Liverpool lads bring now and again.:thumbsup:

CropleyWasGod
19-04-2012, 09:36 PM

Gonny do us a Honduran flag and an English one while you're at it, then?

Oh, and a saltire....

And a Red Hand for Ivan.

:flag:

clerriehibs
19-04-2012, 09:38 PM
Flag debates are banned on sickbag; is that because they all agree the Union Flag is ok, so there's no point debating? Or that there really is a surprising amount of "decent" jambos, who stand up to the mini-huns?

Either way, a ban might be a good idea on here.

Hibrandenburg
19-04-2012, 09:38 PM
Your cousin is bringing that one :)

Good ladd, it'll look good alongside my Swastika :-)

blackpoolhibs
19-04-2012, 09:39 PM
Gonny do us a Honduran flag and an English one while you're at it, then?

Oh, and a saltire....

And a Red Hand for Ivan.

We have done our bit, time to hand over the mantle to others for the next one. :aok:

Bohemian_Hibee
The tricolour below will be proudly on display at Hampden (If I get a ticket) :thumbsup:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/182677_10150102685318276_757388275_6217531_14582_n .jpg

as well as this one..

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/1975_54903368275_757388275_1381358_1832066_n.jpg

Sean1875
Celtc fans are jumping on a bandwagon with their tricolours? Eh? Can you jump on your own bandwagon?

People can be anti-tricolour and union flag, or pro anyone's right to have a flag. But it's hypocritical for anyone to say their flag of choice not in their club colours is ok but someone else's isn't.

You make a good point I suppose and probably very nieve of me to think that 100% of the people that bring flags to our games is because of our history, what im saying is the number of tricolours brought to Celtc games these days seems to be incredibly high and surely all the folks bringing these flags aren't doing it purely because theyre proud of their roots? Same sort of people that will sing about god saving the pope yet a large number of them have probably never set foot in a Catholic church.

Leitherhibs
No tricolours.. Yeah, lets forget about our history.
Utter tripe of a post, hibernian its even in the name if you dont like it, support the yams.

hibsbollah
19-04-2012, 09:46 PM
Im not contributing to this thread.

Whoops.

SkintHibby
19-04-2012, 09:49 PM
No tricolours.. Yeah, lets forget about our history.
Utter tripe of a post, hibernian its even in the name if you dont like it, support the yams.

Its not. I despise the thought of watching an Edinburgh cup final with Union flags at one side and Tri-colours at the other. I really do.

BoltonHibee
19-04-2012, 09:52 PM
Its not. I despise the thought of watching an Edinburgh cup final with Union flags at one side and Tri-colours at the other. I really do.

But it all adds to the occasion..

1875godsgift
You make a good point I suppose and probably very nieve of me to think that 100% of the people that bring flags to our games is because of our history, what im saying is the number of tricolours brought to Celtc games these days seems to be incredibly high and surely all the folks bringing these flags aren't doing it purely because theyre proud of their roots? Same sort of people that will sing about god saving the pope yet a large number of them have probably never set foot in a Catholic church.

How did God save the Pope? Was the Pontiff drowning and our Lord plucked him from a stormy sea? Or was his faith wavering and our Holy Father re-ignited his belief? We deserve to be told.......

Bostonhibby

Whoops.

Me neither, too busy trying to devise an inoffensive flag for an agnostic atheist with unionist tendendencies whose passion is Hibs.

Have had a few tonight so am chucking tins of paint at a bed sheet with the lights out but hopefully the end result won't offend too many. Might get a separate thread going to see if there's any kindred spirits oot there.

Emerald
19-04-2012, 09:57 PM
I kept clicking the delete button because I realised the furore my post would cause. To my horror I came back onto Hibs.net to see my post top of the bill!

I'd hate to look back on the Edinburgh final on TV and see Union flags on one side and tri-colours on the other.

Remember this people:

Hibs have always distanced themselves from Celtic. Hearts have always affiliated themselves to Rangers. Do not forget it.:agree:

As Simon Cowell would say, its 1000% a yes from me. Get rid of all that crap from football, we are Hibs they are Hearts, that is the only difference that matters. :flag::flag::flag:

madabouthibs
19-04-2012, 09:59 PM
I bought two of the IRELAND flags at the semi, with the harp and "Erin go Bragh", I think they're fine. :agree:
I have to admit though, I actually thought the IRELAND said HIBERNIAN when the fella selling them was holding a big bunch of them over his shoulder.....:rolleyes:
They're getting a Paddy Fenlons Green & white Army slogan printed on them though, pre-final.

:pfgwa

Ryan91
19-04-2012, 10:00 PM
A handful of Tricolours would be fine, hopefully we mix in Saltires, St. George's Crosses, Red Hands (or St. Patrick's Crosses), the Honduran, Gambian and Welsh flags too. Represent every nationality of player in the first team squad and bring along plenty of Hibs flags while we're at it too.

Emerald
19-04-2012, 10:02 PM
A handful of Tricolours would be fine, hopefully we mix in Saltires, St. George's Crosses, Red Hands (or St. Patrick's Crosses), the Honduran, Gambian and Welsh flags too. Represent every nationality of player in the first team squad and bring along plenty of Hibs flags while we're at it too.

As long as its not the white flag I suppose, like the last time. :shocked:

hibsbollah
19-04-2012, 10:04 PM
Me neither, too busy trying to devise an inoffensive flag for an agnostic atheist with unionist tendendencies whose passion is Hibs.

Have had a few tonight so am chucking tins of paint at a bed sheet with the lights out but hopefully the end result won't offend too many. Might get a separate thread going to see if there's any kindred spirits oot there.

The Mali flag is nice. Red yellow and green. Amadou Konte was a Hibs legend. Plus it would confuse the **** out of the section N boys with their red hands.

Emerald
19-04-2012, 10:08 PM
What about a joint effort with the Jambos? A flag that hates the trams. I'm sure we could all come up with a design for that, to lighten things up a bit. :greengrin

fit o' the walk
19-04-2012, 10:14 PM
What we don't want on here guys is it to turn into a Catholic,Protestant thing. In my opinion the Tri colour is acceptable due to our Irish heritage,just as is the flying of the Saltire due to the country we play in. Also at this moment in time we have an Irish Manager,also Irish players,Doherty,O'Donovan,Doyle,Towell,it would be nice for these guys .Dont forget there was Morrocan flags at our last final,where do you stop ? As i said lets not turn this into a religious thing,we're all Hibbies regardless of race or religion.GGTTH.

1two
19-04-2012, 10:26 PM
On another note i hope we can refrain from singing about paedos and playing with children etc.
It's not big and it's not clever.

--------
19-04-2012, 10:29 PM

Whoops.

Nor me.

Oh dear. Too late!

That sounds like a right load of Jackson Pollocks! :devil:

I'll get ma coat....

Green Cabbage 7
19-04-2012, 10:36 PM
Why does this always get a mention is there anti irish sentiments in our support or do people get something out of telling people what they should our shouldn't do for me if your a hibee bring what you want!

snooky
19-04-2012, 10:38 PM
The tricolour below will be proudly on display at Hampden (If I get a ticket) :thumbsup:

You have a legit reason to fly it, BH (IMO)
Personally, I'm taking a pirate flag in the hope that we will give the Jambos a Jolly Rogering

http://www.cosmosmith.com/jolly_roger.html
Direct quote from the link -

"The name 'Jolly Roger' is thought to have come from joli rouge (pretty red), a wry French description of the bloody banner flown by early privateers. The flags were meant to strike mortal terror in the hearts of the pirate's intended victims."

Emerald
19-04-2012, 10:39 PM
What we don't want on here guys is it to turn into a Catholic,Protestant thing. In my opinion the Tri colour is acceptable due to our Irish heritage,just as is the flying of the Saltire due to the country we play in. Also at this moment in time we have an Irish Manager,also Irish players,Doherty,O'Donovan,Doyle,Towell,it would be nice for these guys .Dont forget there was Morrocan flags at our last final,where do you stop ? As i said lets not turn this into a religious thing,we're all Hibbies regardless of race or religion.GGTTH.

I actually don't care what flags people bring as long as they are not offensive. But, and this is my opinion, we are a Scottish team and have been since 1875. We play in Edinburgh in the Scottish league. We were formed by Irishmen and can see why people relate to it and rightly so. FWIW I love the Irish. But, to display the Irish flag unfortunately does carry a bit more baggage than say a French flag would. In normal circumstances that shouldn't be a problem but to others i.e. jambos it means other things. If Ireland had been a peaceful country just selling Kerrygold butter, no one would have turned a blind eye. The history though tells a different story, and there lies the problem. :agree:

Sean1875
19-04-2012, 10:47 PM
On another note i hope we can refrain from singing about paedos and playing with children etc.

tell that to Craig Thomson 'insert controversial smiley'

El Gubbz
19-04-2012, 10:50 PM
Would you have a gambian flag for Kujabi or a Honduran flag for Claros. Why can't we have a flag for paddy fenlon without people associating with septic :flag:

SouthamptonHibs
19-04-2012, 11:04 PM
For ever and ever we will fillow the boyz....

El Gubbz
19-04-2012, 11:13 PM
Neither where the kids :)

silverhibee
19-04-2012, 11:14 PM
Tho only 'tricolour' I want to see is white and green on silver.:flag:

I will do my best. :thumbsup:

Dunbar Hibee
19-04-2012, 11:42 PM
I think we should get sh*tloads of Nigeria flags for May 19th to be honest. Lets make ALL of our allocation a sea of green and white flags. :flag:

SteveHFC
19-04-2012, 11:48 PM
I think we should get sh*tloads of Nigeria flags for May 19th to be honest. Lets make ALL of our allocation a sea of green and white flags. :flag:

I agree :cb

NOLA
19-04-2012, 11:53 PM
can i bring my Ivory Coast flag? :confused:

Hibercelona
20-04-2012, 12:04 AM
People are saying "What's wrong with respecting our roots" and such.

Well if thats the reason for brining tri-colours, why do we only ever really seem to bother "with our roots" when its against Hearts?

Who was "respecting the clubs roots" in the semi?

Hibs do have Irish roots, its obvious that we do. Every Scottish football fan will know this. I don't see why we have to take tri-colours to games to show people that we do.

You're a Hibby, bring a Hibs flag with a Hibs badge on it. You know.... to show your allegiance to the club.

1875godsgift
20-04-2012, 12:09 AM

Well if thats the reason for brining tri-colours, why do we only ever really seem to bother "with our roots" when its against Hearts?

Hibs do have Irish roots, its obvious that we do. Every Scottish football fan will know this. I don't see why we have to take tri-colours to games to show people that we do.

You're a Hibby, bring a Hibs flag with a Hibs badge on it. You know.... to show your allegiance to the club.

We don't care what the animals say
What the hell do we care?
Cos we only know
That there's gonna be a show
And the Edinbra Hibees will be there!

frazeHFC
20-04-2012, 12:40 AM
I will do my best. :thumbsup:

:faf:

silverhibee
20-04-2012, 12:42 AM
Ooh, to, ooh to be, ooh to be a, flag.

Poor, just very poor indeed. :greengrin

frazeHFC
20-04-2012, 12:44 AM
Poor, just very poor indeed. :greengrin

Not that you need reminding, but the user title says it all. :hilarious

Tiredness = Stupid posts = Sleep time :zzzzz!:

monktonharp
20-04-2012, 12:49 AM

You're a Hibby, bring a Hibs flag with a Hibs badge on it. You know.... to show your allegiance to the club.other people are saying:I will bring a flag that celebrates my club's roots, and make sure lots of people see it.these other people might also think, we have a fair smattering of Irish players so let's give them a bit of a lift ,and show their flag, just like we did for France,Maroc, etc at previous finals.and, there are a few that will think, lets show everyone watching,that we will want to show our original club badge, with a green backround and a gold harp. I dont see a problem, do you?

spike220
20-04-2012, 02:20 AM
So are we allowed to bring a French flag?:rolleyes:

Septimus
20-04-2012, 04:48 AM
I find my interest flagging.

Hibrandenburg
20-04-2012, 05:11 AM
Just out of interest, can any of our Sickbag voyeurs tell us if the Yams have flag debates?

green glory
20-04-2012, 05:39 AM
An interesting point regarding the tricolour. It wasn't really used as a national Symbol until the Easter Rising in 1916, 41 years after Hibs formation by Irish immigrants (although technically not immigrants as Ireland was part of the British state at the time) The harp as a national symbol is more appropriate to Hibs as it pre-dates the Tricolour. Essentially Hibs got it right. I prefer the harp personally and it avoids the politics surrounding the Union Flag and the Tricolour. Hibs are a Scottish club albeit with Irish roots. The Saltire and Harp are the most appropriate.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2b/Green_harp_flag_of_Ireland_17th_century.svg

Peevemor
20-04-2012, 05:41 AM
Just out of interest, can any of our Sickbag voyeurs tell us if the Yams have flag debates?

I know a few yams who are very anti union jack.

Hibrandenburg
20-04-2012, 05:48 AM
An interesting point regarding the tricolour. It wasn't really used as a national Symbol until the Easter Rising in 1916, 41 years after Hibs formation by Irish immigrants (although technically not immigrants as Ireland was part of the British state at the time) The harp as a national symbol is more appropriate to Hibs as it pre-dates the Tricolour. Essentially Hibs got it right. I prefer the harp personally and it avoids the politics surrounding the Union Flag and the Tricolour. Hibs are a Scottish club albeit with Irish roots. The Saltire and Harp are the most appropriate.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2b/Green_harp_flag_of_Ireland_17th_century.svg

(Like Button)

Cabbage East
20-04-2012, 06:15 AM
There was plenty at the semi. There will be more at the final. I might bring two just to annoy the boy that started this :aok:

marinello59
20-04-2012, 06:18 AM
There was plenty at the semi. There will be more at the final. I might bring two just to annoy the boy that started this :aok:

I am going to take a Union flag to annoy everybody. In fact we should all take one just to mess with the weegie media minds.

NAE NOOKIE
20-04-2012, 06:46 AM
Dont mind the odd ticolour here & there in the ground. Just lets no go mental eh !

SquashedFrogg
20-04-2012, 07:29 AM

I'm gonna regret asking this but why is a tri-colour flag religious, sectarian or political? :cb

Funnily enough I saw the Barca fans had a saltire at the Chelsea match on Wednesday. They don't have any Scottish players :confused:

Maybe it was a political statement relating to independence?

Also, does this ban cover 'Erin go Bragh' flags? I saw loads at the semi...

Alex Trager
20-04-2012, 07:46 AM

I like and totally agree with this.

Hibernia Na Eir
20-04-2012, 08:52 AM

seen at least 4 from where I was in F7.
there is no issue here with the OF!
we are simply "Hibs".

Hibernia Na Eir
20-04-2012, 08:54 AM
I'm gonna regret asking this but why is a tri-colour flag religious, sectarian or political? :cb

Funnily enough I saw the Barca fans had a saltire at the Chelsea match on Wednesday. They don't have any Scottish players :confused:

Maybe it was a political statement relating to independence?

Also, does this ban cover 'Erin go Bragh' flags? I saw loads at the semi...

that's because the Irish national flag ain't sectarian. It's only perceived as being so in Scotland only.

yeezus.
20-04-2012, 08:58 AM

Wisen up. I say if an Irish fan wants to bring his national flag - then why not!

There's nothing sectarian about bringing the tricolour to Hampden. We have Irish history and at the moment an Irish manager.

SquashedFrogg
20-04-2012, 09:01 AM
that's because the Irish national flag ain't sectarian. It's only perceived as being so in Scotland only.

That was kind of what I was eluding to :agree:

Sure, if it had IRA written on it then obviously it has no place at a football match (or society in general for that matter) but a tri-colour flag represents Ireland. We were formed by Irish immigrants and currently have a few Irish boys at the club.

No problem for me....

*seems to think this thread has been done before*

joe breezy
20-04-2012, 09:27 AM
The tricolour was invented way after Hibernian Football Club was founded so the Harp seems more relevant to the club

People should be able to bring whatever flag they want though, especially if it's our Irish fans

You see quite a few tricolours at EPL games

yeezus.
20-04-2012, 09:29 AM
The tricolour was invented way after Hibernian Football Club was founded so the Harp seems more relevant to the club

:agree: The harp is more relevant - but it doesn't mean to say the tricolour has no place ... we don't act like Celtic anyway so I dunno what folk are worried about.

HUTCHYHIBBY
20-04-2012, 10:18 AM
if you dont like it, support the yams.

Most amusing!

7 Hills
20-04-2012, 10:23 AM
I've never been a fan of the Tricolour personally, but I think that it's perfectly valid for Hibs fans to fly it in support of Pat Fenlon, a Republic of Ireland man.

Edit: When I say I've never been a fan of the Tricolour, I mean within the context of Hibs matches - I have no problem with it whatsoever as the national flag of ROI.

Keith_M
20-04-2012, 10:44 AM
As Hibs origin is also in the UK, I expect all you "celebrate your origins" people will also be bringing Union Jacks :greengrin

Personally, my favourite is the green and white saltire, but if someone from Ireland wants to bring a tricolour, that's OK with me. Similarly, if someone from Northern Ireland wants to bring a Red Hand flag, we can't really argue with that, or a St George's Cross for Scouse Hibee. I'm all for fairness and equality.

Dontcha just luuuurrrrvvv flag debates!

Hibernia&Alba
20-04-2012, 10:57 AM
I just can't agree with the OP, though I repsect his right to hold the view.

The tricolour shouldn't be automatically associated with religion or politics. It's the flag of an entire nation; the nation that give birth to our club. It's representation within our support is recognition of the roots of the club - the club's name even means Irish! It isn't a statement about religion at all, and as for politics, the political discourse in Ireland is as varied as in all democracies. The flag doesn't inidcate which party anybody votes for. It certainly isn't the flag of the IRA any more than the Union Flag belongs to the BNP.

If a club called Hibernian can't celebrate its history, it's a sad day IMO. The sight of the flag of an entire country shouldn't offend anyone. Mine will be there on what will be a historic day for Hibernian FC, and in no way is religion or politics part of it.

.Sean.
20-04-2012, 11:15 AM
Haven't read the thread, but here's my view.

I don't like the tri-colour. As far as I'm aware, the tri-colour wasn't even the flag of Ireland when the club was formed - the Harp was. I've no problem with seeing the Harp flag flown as this is directly related to the heritage of the club. The tri-colour however is not.

As for the 'butchers apron' comments, give it a rest. We don't all see being proud to be British as some sort of affiliation with Hearts or Rangers. I don't like seeing it at the football, nor do I think it really has a place, but I've not a problem with seeing the Union Flag flown anywhere else.

joe breezy
20-04-2012, 11:19 AM
The butchers apron huh?

Undoubtedly the British Empire did lots of butchering but many of the butchers were Scottish

To try and kid on we weren't part of it (or at least many of our ancestors) is a bit naive

And anyway the butchers apron was also the flag of the country that stood up to the Nazi regime of Adolf Hitler

Designed by a Scotsman too

I don't like it as it doesn't include Wales but other than that don't really care - still like the green whit and black one though

silverhibee
20-04-2012, 11:31 AM
I am going to take a Union flag to annoy everybody. In fact we should all take one just to mess with the weegie media minds.

Beat me to it Mr 59.

Maybe one of those all in one union jack suits will be okay in the Hibs end, surely no one will mind, and to really mess with there heads i could fly a tri-colour flag as well.

this, http://72.10.171.98/resources/ecommerce/images/products/095/296/1/img1296095/product-enlarged.jpg

waving this, http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-yrmiQxYLQi0/TX5gnAF36sI/AAAAAAAAACQ/rJ54xaBxZO8/s1600/irish-flag.jpg

Hibernia&Alba
20-04-2012, 11:34 AM
Sean, may I again suggest you seem to be associating a national flag with one particular discourse within Irish politics - militant Republicanism. The flag doesn't belong to nay one school of thought or political party, it's the flag of a country. In Scotland we tend to narrow everything down to Republicanism v Ulster Loyalism, which is a mistake. The Old Firm dumb everything down to that level, but it isn't the reality of Irish political life. Celtc fans seem to equate Irishness with PIRA, as if being kid on hardline makes them uber-Irish. Sinn Fein only win a small percentage of the vote throughout Ireland. It's all very facile.

You're right to say the Tricolour wasn't the Irish flag in 1875, as Ireland as a whole was then part of the U.K. but it's the flag of the republic now - the place where Hibernian FC originates. We have to disentangle a national flag from one particular philosophy, and a flag that represents peace between teh green and the orange traditions shouldn't be contentious. In Scotland some have a problem with all things Irish, sadly.

silverhibee
20-04-2012, 11:38 AM
The butchers apron huh?

Undoubtedly the British Empire did lots of butchering but many of the butchers were Scottish

To try and kid on we weren't part of it (or at least many of our ancestors) is a bit naive

And anyway the butchers apron was also the flag of the country that stood up to the Nazi regime of Adolf Hitler

I don't like it as it doesn't include Wales but other than that don't really care - still like the green whit and black one though

Is there not two, one from down south and the other one from the bad boys. :cb

Paisley Hibby
20-04-2012, 12:27 PM
Sean, may I again suggest you seem to be associating a national flag with one particular discourse within Irish politics - militant Republicanism. The flag doesn't belong to nay one school of thought or political party, it's the flag of a country. In Scotland we tend to narrow everything down to Republicanism v Ulster Loyalism, which is a mistake. The Old Firm dumb everything down to that level, but it isn't the reality of Irish political life. Celtc fans seem to equate Irishness with PIRA, as if being kid on hardline makes them uber-Irish. Sinn Fein only win a small percentage of the vote throughout Ireland. It's all very facile.

You're right to say the Tricolour wasn't the Irish flag in 1875, as Ireland as a whole was then part of the U.K. but it's the flag of the republic now - the place where Hibernian FC originates. We have to disentangle a national flag from one particular philosophy, and a flag that represents peace between teh green and the orange traditions shouldn't be contentious. In Scotland some have a problem with all things Irish, sadly.

No we don't. Our place of origin is Edinburgh - formed by the Irish immigrant community which would have included people from areas North and South of the current Irish border. For the record, I'm proud of our club's origins. However, I don't like seeing our fans flying the Irish tricolour simply because, like it or not, it makes us look like diet Celtic fans. Nothing intellectual about that, it's just true.

frasco
20-04-2012, 12:28 PM

totally agree with that statement, there's nothing religious with respecting where we came from

Lost_Mackem
20-04-2012, 12:59 PM
I'm guna bring a gigantic England flag that covers at least a quarter of the stadium with a massive picture of Oliver Cromwell in the middle of it. :wink:

Hibernia&Alba
20-04-2012, 01:13 PM
No we don't. Our place of origin is Edinburgh - formed by the Irish immigrant community which would have included people from areas North and South of the current Irish border. For the record, I'm proud of our club's origins. However, I don't like seeing our fans flying the Irish tricolour simply because, like it or not, it makes us look like diet Celtic fans. Nothing intellectual about that, it's just true.

I disagree, mate. We were around before Celtc and shouldn't be comparing everything we do to them. The tricolour is merely recognition of a club whose very name is Ireland and which was initially established by Irishmen for Irishmen who were otherwise unable to participate in football. Its appearance amongst the Hibernian support should be no more controversial than the Saltire, and I think offence is only taken by those who are looking to be offended - namely hardline elements amongst other supports who have a problem with all things Irish.

Vini1875
20-04-2012, 01:26 PM

Lots of tri-colours at the semi. Just watch the high lights on the bbc.

Bohemian_Hibee
20-04-2012, 01:49 PM
Just so you know, the Irish tricolour has been in existence since 1848, but was adopted by the Irish republic during the war of Independence in 1919.

Brizo
20-04-2012, 03:56 PM
Beat me to it Mr 59.

Maybe one of those all in one union jack suits will be okay in the Hibs end, surely no one will mind, and to really mess with there heads i could fly a tri-colour flag as well.

this, http://72.10.171.98/resources/ecommerce/images/products/095/296/1/img1296095/product-enlarged.jpg

waving this, http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-yrmiQxYLQi0/TX5gnAF36sI/AAAAAAAAACQ/rJ54xaBxZO8/s1600/irish-flag.jpg:faf:

Good shout. i will also be wearing my union jack morph suit to the Final , accessorising with a green white and gold sombrero and rainbow gay pride flag.

Whats even more ironic I plan to only sing Hibs songs and nothing about paedos / Craig Thomson / Mercer.

NORTHERNHIBBY
20-04-2012, 04:00 PM
It is not the tricolour that makes Celtc fans sectarian and racist. I have met some in social settings and they are equally appalling without the flag. Take along what you like. It is how you behave that counts.

snooky
20-04-2012, 04:59 PM
Why doesn't everybody bring a different flag and then the world will see we are not sectarian, racist, or any other "ist" you care to mention.

Throw in a Union Jack in green, white & gold colours and we've got it made. :greengrin

persevere1875
20-04-2012, 05:04 PM
I'll be taking mine tricolour with the harp in the middle and Hibernian F.C around it, if by chance it upsets anyone we can discuss it and the clubs heritage over a bovril, anyone who naturally assumes its sectarian given the clubs heritage is IMO rather narrow minded and assumes anyone who dares to fly the tricolour is of the same ilk as the sectarian followers of smeltic, sorry but that annoys me

Green Cabbage 7
20-04-2012, 05:50 PM
The butchers apron huh?

The union jack of now is a different one to which was designed by scotsman the original was the saltire on top with st george cross behind

Scouse Hibee
20-04-2012, 05:52 PM
I'm guna bring a gigantic England flag that covers at least a quarter of the stadium with a massive picture of Oliver Cromwell in the middle of it. :wink:

:agree: St Georges's Cross for me, I'm English so I'll take my flag with me and display it proudly. Anyone got a problem with that?

NAE NOOKIE
20-04-2012, 06:34 PM
:agree: St Georges's Cross for me, I'm English so I'll take me flag with me and display it proudly. Anyone got a problem with that?

None mate .... good for you !

My paternal grandparents were English & Scottish and my maternal Grandparents Irish & English.

Both my parents were born in Edinburgh & so was I.

Gonna bring a Union flag with a Tricolour sewn on the bottom.

On the 19th there will be only one race, only one nationality.

HIBBY

joe breezy
20-04-2012, 06:41 PM
:agree: St Georges's Cross for me, I'm English so I'll take my flag with me and display it proudly. Anyone got a problem with that?

I like the Hibs St George's Cross - being Hibs is what matters no matter what country you're from

As I mentioned loads of tricolours at english games as so many Irish fans go over, it's never a problem then

I once saw a Northern Ireland London flag it was green white and black London Underground logo, looked quite cool

fit o' the walk
20-04-2012, 06:52 PM
There's as much chance of fans taking heed of this thread as there is that lot beating us in the Final.:flag::flag:

Eyrie
20-04-2012, 07:24 PM
No problem with an Irish tri-colour providing it's brought by someone who is Irish. Bit like an English Hibs fan bringing the St George.

But for the rest of us the Harp is a better acknowledgment of our origins and the Saltire of our country.

Hibernia Na Eir
20-04-2012, 07:28 PM
No problem with an Irish tri-colour providing it's brought by someone who is Irish. Bit like an English Hibs fan bringing the St George.

But for the rest of us the Harp is a better acknowledgment of our origins and the Saltire of our country.

bizarre!
so the French tri colours? the Moroccan national flags??
come on son. think again!
bad post!! oh dear.

Sunny1875
20-04-2012, 07:36 PM
Would the Ivory coast flag be ok ?

Scouse Hibee
20-04-2012, 07:40 PM
Would the Ivory coast flag be ok ?

If it means something to you and you want to take it to Hampden then why not!

Hibernia Na Eir
20-04-2012, 07:46 PM
I say ban the Manx flag! its sectarian!!! (and while we're at it, ban the Icelandic flag, far too extremist!)

WindyMiller
20-04-2012, 07:49 PM

Like this one?

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ1bs3TCxJ-y79Eiqs2JgTd2uyXdAw9tVUZIUbrFT6zTA4vzgKr5w

snooky
20-04-2012, 09:33 PM

Not me but it might make George cross. :wink:

Bostonhibby
20-04-2012, 09:46 PM

:no way: knitted woolen scarves circa 1970's are perfectly adequate, you can twirl them above your head at appropriate intervals don't you know. All big clubs fans do it.

Bostonhibby
20-04-2012, 09:51 PM
Beat me to it Mr 59.

waving this, http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-yrmiQxYLQi0/TX5gnAF36sI/AAAAAAAAACQ/rJ54xaBxZO8/s1600/irish-flag.jpg

:faf: Pearly king jacket and hat for me........

Jonnyboy
20-04-2012, 09:58 PM
Jeezo can we no just agree that folk can bring whatever country's flag they like and get back to being excited about being there in the first place :greengrin

FranckSuzy
20-04-2012, 10:02 PM
Jeezo can we no just agree that folk can bring whatever country's flag they like and get back to being excited about being there in the first place :greengrin

:agree: Correctamundo JB. 'They' should bring lots of white flags/towels, to signal their surrender :agree:

sesoim
20-04-2012, 10:03 PM
I don't mind most flags at games, but I think a lot of Celtic fans fly the Irish flag just to antagonize people. I'd hate to think that is the reason some Hibs fans do it as well. Personally, I think it is disrespectful to Scotland the way some Scottish guys wear Irish strips and fly Irish flags. Are they saying they would support Ireland over Scotland? If so, why?

Personally, I much prefer the Hibs (green) version of the Scotland flag. That one represents what Hibs are better. And this is the SCOTTISH Cup ffs.

sesoim
20-04-2012, 10:07 PM
I'll be taking mine tricolour with the harp in the middle and Hibernian F.C around it, if by chance it upsets anyone we can discuss it and the clubs heritage over a bovril, anyone who naturally assumes its sectarian given the clubs heritage is IMO rather narrow minded and assumes anyone who dares to fly the tricolour is of the same ilk as the sectarian followers of smeltic, sorry but that annoys me

The thing is though, apart from the early years, Hibs have been a more or less a Scottish run club for over a hundred years. So why do you feel the need to fly the Irish flag? Why not just a Hibs flag?

Winston Ingram
20-04-2012, 10:24 PM
I remember being at Tynie a couple of years ago and there was umpteen twats wafting Union Jacks at us and I stood there feeling superior thinking 'at least we don't get involved in that bigoted p!sh' and then I turned to my left and there was some flange wafting a tricolour. I felt so disappointed. On the plus side it was only him while there was plenty Union Jack's in their end.

Don't get me wrong, i have no problem with our Irish roots and I have no problem with the Union Jack but when they are brought to a professional football match in Scotland they mean one thing and for that reason they can **** right off:agree:

HUTCHYHIBBY
21-04-2012, 03:36 AM
Anybody bringing a Scottish flag?

Phil D. Rolls
21-04-2012, 08:12 AM
I think the final should be a celebration of Hibernian's history. I've been against the tri-colour up till now, but I think all elements of our broad church should be represented. With that in mind, may I introduce you to my new range of inflatable jellies?

Hibernia&Alba
21-04-2012, 09:10 AM
I don't mind most flags at games, but I think a lot of Celtic fans fly the Irish flag just to antagonize people. I'd hate to think that is the reason some Hibs fans do it as well. Personally, I think it is disrespectful to Scotland the way some Scottish guys wear Irish strips and fly Irish flags. Are they saying they would support Ireland over Scotland? If so, why?

Personally, I much prefer the Hibs (green) version of the Scotland flag. That one represents what Hibs are better. And this is the SCOTTISH Cup ffs.

Why should the flag of a country antagonise anybody? Again, it's an essential component of the story of Hibernian FC. If anybody feels antagonised by that, they have the problem. The Scotland flag is fine but the Ireland flag is antagonistic. Why? The Irish flag doesn't seem to antagonise anybody at Old Trafford, Goodison, White Hart Lane etc. We know why it antagonises some elements of Scottish society!

Flags of Ireland and Scotland both have a place, and if you're English, American or Albanian, bring yours too. It's a day for the whole Hibernian family to unite.

down-the-slope
21-04-2012, 09:11 AM
avoided this thread - not even read it till now - like the plague when i saw the title......

Quite pleasantly surprised that it is mostly a decent debate...some good humor...and liitle to no abuse....:aok:

Well done one and all..

As for my view...bring what you brought against Killie to support Hibs (what ever that might be)....rather than anything additional to specifically antagonise Hearts supporters

ps..and don't buy *rap outside Hampden from weegie tat sellers - mostly cast off stuff sold around Parkhead on other days (thus the Ireland Harp flags). Buy from club shop (to support club) or make your own)

Phil D. Rolls
21-04-2012, 09:17 AM
Why should the flag of a country antagonise anybody? Again, it's an essential component of the story of Hibernian FC. If anybody feels antagonised by that, they have the problem. The Scotland flag is fine but the Ireland flag is antagonistic. Why? The Irish flag doesn't seem to antagonise anybody at Old Trafford, Goodison, White Hart Lane etc. We know why it antagonises some elements of Scottish society!

Flags of Ireland and Scotland both have a place, and if you're English, American or Albanian, bring yours too. It's a day for the whole Hibernian family to unite.

Beats me:

--------
21-04-2012, 09:20 AM
Beats me:

You're a German expatriate living in Argentina? :confused:

Phil D. Rolls
21-04-2012, 09:23 AM
You're a German expatriate living in Argentina? :confused:

They'll never find me now!

Hibernia&Alba
21-04-2012, 09:26 AM
Beats me:

I draw the line at Rangers fans coming along. We aren't that tolerant.

Judas Iscariot
21-04-2012, 09:27 AM

Well said Auld Yin :wink:

fit o' the walk
21-04-2012, 09:42 AM
I think it's time this one was put to bed guys. As long as your flag is not offensive and your not screaming out sectarian bile,wave your flag with pride because in the end we're there for one thing,......TO WITNESS THE GREATEST DAY IN HIBERNIAN FC's HISTORY,do our club proud on May 19th,cheer them on from the 1st min until James McPake is holding aloft the Scottish Cup.:flag::flag:

Hibrandenburg
21-04-2012, 09:47 AM
Beats me:

That flag was never a national flag but the symbol of a political party. It was only ever used when that party was in power. But I do get your point :-)

--------
21-04-2012, 10:29 AM
The thing that gets me about Celtic playing in Europe is that the whole rotten stadium gets draped in Irish flags - it's clear that the Celtic support give no thought at all to the fact that their team plays in Scotland and is representing Scotland in the Champions' League, the Europa, whatever.

The mindset isn't Scottish with Irish roots - it's not really even 21st century Irish - it's OIRISH, a nasty toxic mix of a romanticised and largely inaccurate 'understanding' of Irish history and the sort of sentimental disneyfication of that history that you find in the films of Hollywood directors like John Ford and a lot of the Oirish Republican 'folk-songs'. They're NOT history - they're partisan propaganda, and many of those who sing them today do so to stir up hatred and spark off further acts of violence. And that goes, btw, for both sides of the divide - they feed off one another.

It's like Americans basing their understanding of the history of race relations in the US since the Civil War on the songs of Stephen Foster ("The Old Folks at Home") and James Bland ("Carry Me Back to Old Virginny") and and a couple of viewings of "Gone With The Wind" and "Birth of A Nation" on the DVD. The Republican and Unionist paramilitaries aren't heroic freedom-fighters any more than the night riders of the Ku Klux Klan were during Reconstruction or the Civil Rights era.

Most of those who sing about 'if you know the history' are entirely ignorant of the history.

What they know is the myth, which they hold against the conflicting myth of Irish history as focussed on the Battle of the Boyne and the entirely unprovoked and wrongheaded objections of the Irish people (including many Protestants like Jonathan Swift and Wolfe Tone) to being misruled and exploited by a government in Westminster.

Bear in mind that for much of the time Ireland was part of the UK, successive Westminster governments were completely unconcerned about small matters like repeated potato famines and the progressive depopulation of the country areas as desperate people saught a better life in the US, in Canada, and in Australia. Which, btw, is a history the highlands of Scotland share with them, though not in quite as simplistic a way as some current Scots politicians would have us believe.

If the Hibs end on the 19th is a sea of green and white saltires with a peppering of tricolours and other designs in the mix, I don't see why anyone should get their knickers in a twist.

Acknowledging a great man like James Connolly and his connection with the club in its early days is something we can do without embarrassment.

The club we support is 'Hibernian', after all; we have our roots in the desire of young Irish Catholic men in the 1870's to be treated just like other young men and allowed to play football and watch their own football team, just like all the other young men in the city. It was actually about toleration and people from different cultures living together, and the success of the job lies in part in the fact that Hibs today aren't a 'Catholic' team, nor are their supporters mostly Catholic, or Irish, or even descended from Catholic Irish. We're not perfect, but we do have respectable ideals we can look back to, and we can appeal to those ideals to clean up on our act today.

Celtic's history is rooted in a group of Glasgow businessmen identifying a commercial opportunity to make money from the sectarian division of 19th-century Glasgow society. That opportunity had arisen out of the work of the Hibernian committee in facing up to, and facing down, the prejudice of the football authorities of their day. That prejudice mirrored the prejudice of the wider community against Irish immigrants to Scotland.

I'm sure that the Hibs committee wanted to make a profit - they weren't stupid - but they did have a higher purpose in setting up the club, and it was THEIR work, not Celtic's, that broke the barriers facing a 'Hibernian' football club seeking to operate on an equal footing in Scottish sport.

WE shouldn't be embarrassed if the Irish roots of the club manifest themselves in a few Irish flags at Hampden. We're at least attempting to move on - we have been since the Celtic committee walked off with our team in 1888. The pity is that so many others in Scottish football (and in Scottish society) have not.

EH54
21-04-2012, 10:33 AM
Not really sure why this has a thread, Your lucky if there will even be a dozen of them at Hampden, You get the odd couple at ER and its the same at Hampden, from what i normally see anyway..

--------
21-04-2012, 10:55 AM
BTW - the Irish government has stated more than once that the tricolour is "green, white, and orange". The green represents the Gaelic tradition, the orange the Protestant followers of King William, and the white a truce between them. (I know - fat chance if the OF have their way!)

They have also stated repeatedly that flags with a yellow or 'gold' stripe replacing the Orange aren't really Irish national flags.

So when Celtic supporters start rabbitting about 'green-white-and-gold' being hte colours, they're wrong.

Or they're deliberately and wrongly appropriating (stealing) the flag of the Republic for the benefit of terrorist or paramilitary organistaions, just as the other side wrongly appropriate (steal) the Union Flag for their own purposes.

snooky
21-04-2012, 11:09 AM
Beats me:

Another example of an axis of evil destroying something something good.
The swastika was originally a sign of peace.

http://blog.joshuaberman.net/05-09/swastika-symbol-of-peace.html

There is nothing wrong with the Ulster flag, tricolour, union jack or any flag for that matter.
It's the spirit in which it is flown or waved.

Antagonistic folk ken what's gaun on.

21-04-2012, 01:36 PM
Don't know if its been mentioned before, but whilst we are on the topic of flags, did anyone else see some of the flags hearts took to Hampden last week? Was just watching some of the highlights from the hearts semi-final and noticed all the union jacks behind the goal, and not only that, some of them had pictures of the queen on them!

And they wonder why their called mini-huns!!!!

Elephant Stone
21-04-2012, 01:47 PM
Don't know if its been mentioned before, but whilst we are on the topic of flags, did anyone else see some of the flags hearts took to Hampden last week? Was just watching some of the highlights from the hearts semi-final and noticed all the union jacks behind the goal, and not only that, some of them had pictures of the queen on them!

And they wonder why their called mini-huns!!!!

Nothing wrong with a bit of subservience to an unelected head of state for the purpose of winding up some Taigs.

In all seriousness they do have some fans who are not quite right in the head, quite a lot it seems.

Hibrandenburg
21-04-2012, 04:37 PM
The thing that gets me about Celtic playing in Europe is that the whole rotten stadium gets draped in Irish flags - it's clear that the Celtic support give no thought at all to the fact that their team plays in Scotland and is representing Scotland in the Champions' League, the Europa, whatever.

The mindset isn't Scottish with Irish roots - it's not really even 21st century Irish - it's OIRISH, a nasty toxic mix of a romanticised and largely inaccurate 'understanding' of Irish history and the sort of sentimental disneyfication of that history that you find in the films of Hollywood directors like John Ford and a lot of the Oirish Republican 'folk-songs'. They're NOT history - they're partisan propaganda, and many of those who sing them today do so to stir up hatred and spark off further acts of violence. And that goes, btw, for both sides of the divide - they feed off one another.

It's like Americans basing their understanding of the history of race relations in the US since the Civil War on the songs of Stephen Foster ("The Old Folks at Home") and James Bland ("Carry Me Back to Old Virginny") and and a couple of viewings of "Gone With The Wind" and "Birth of A Nation" on the DVD. The Republican and Unionist paramilitaries aren't heroic freedom-fighters any more than the night riders of the Ku Klux Klan were during Reconstruction or the Civil Rights era.

Most of those who sing about 'if you know the history' are entirely ignorant of the history.

What they know is the myth, which they hold against the conflicting myth of Irish history as focussed on the Battle of the Boyne and the entirely unprovoked and wrongheaded objections of the Irish people (including many Protestants like Jonathan Swift and Wolfe Tone) to being misruled and exploited by a government in Westminster.

Bear in mind that for much of the time Ireland was part of the UK, successive Westminster governments were completely unconcerned about small matters like repeated potato famines and the progressive depopulation of the country areas as desperate people saught a better life in the US, in Canada, and in Australia. Which, btw, is a history the highlands of Scotland share with them, though not in quite as simplistic a way as some current Scots politicians would have us believe.

If the Hibs end on the 19th is a sea of green and white saltires with a peppering of tricolours and other designs in the mix, I don't see why anyone should get their knickers in a twist.

Acknowledging a great man like James Connolly and his connection with the club in its early days is something we can do without embarrassment.

The club we support is 'Hibernian', after all; we have our roots in the desire of young Irish Catholic men in the 1870's to be treated just like other young men and allowed to play football and watch their own football team, just like all the other young men in the city. It was actually about toleration and people from different cultures living together, and the success of the job lies in part in the fact that Hibs today aren't a 'Catholic' team, nor are their supporters mostly Catholic, or Irish, or even descended from Catholic Irish. We're not perfect, but we do have respectable ideals we can look back to, and we can appeal to those ideals to clean up on our act today.

Celtic's history is rooted in a group of Glasgow businessmen identifying a commercial opportunity to make money from the sectarian division of 19th-century Glasgow society. That opportunity had arisen out of the work of the Hibernian committee in facing up to, and facing down, the prejudice of the football authorities of their day. That prejudice mirrored the prejudice of the wider community against Irish immigrants to Scotland.

I'm sure that the Hibs committee wanted to make a profit - they weren't stupid - but they did have a higher purpose in setting up the club, and it was THEIR work, not Celtic's, that broke the barriers facing a 'Hibernian' football club seeking to operate on an equal footing in Scottish sport.

WE shouldn't be embarrassed if the Irish roots of the club manifest themselves in a few Irish flags at Hampden. We're at least attempting to move on - we have been since the Celtic committee walked off with our team in 1888. The pity is that so many others in Scottish football (and in Scottish society) have not.

Excellent post Doddie!

21-04-2012, 06:43 PM
Nothing wrong with a bit of subservience to an unelected head of state for the purpose of winding up some Taigs.

In all seriousness they do have some fans who are not quite right in the head, quite a lot it seems.

:agree: Embarrassing to say the least! It that type of thing that has made Scotland and Scottish football a laughing stock! Politics has no place in football.

Mini huns, thats all they are and they are a complete embarrassment!

joe breezy
21-04-2012, 08:08 PM
:agree: Embarrassing to say the least! It that type of thing that has made Scotland and Scottish football a laughing stock! Politics has no place in football.

Mini huns, thats all they are and they are a complete embarrassment!

Had the displeasure of walking through on way to the last semi at Hampden 'up to our knees in fenian blood' singing about the Pope for some reason, lots of sectarian knuckle draggin nonsense.

I went to Tynecastle School, racist bigot-fest with the majority of them...

Jonnyboy
21-04-2012, 08:18 PM
Well said Auld Yin :wink:

Cheers. One of my more lucid moments :greengrin

Jones28
21-04-2012, 08:58 PM
The thing is though, apart from the early years, Hibs have been a more or less a Scottish run club for over a hundred years. So why do you feel the need to fly the Irish flag? Why not just a Hibs flag?

It's heritage :aok:

cad
22-04-2012, 06:16 AM
A flags a flags a flag ,whats up in your head and the reason your taking it only you will know ,if its supporting The Cabbage perfect ,anything else :bitchy:

--------
22-04-2012, 08:09 AM

TAIGS????????????????????????? :bitchy:

Hibernia&Alba
22-04-2012, 08:26 AM
TAIGS????????????????????????? :bitchy:

Aye, that's what I thought. Can we leave the sectarianism to the Old Firm and the Yams? Phrases like taigs and dirty orange *******s etc are not welcome.

hugo boss
22-04-2012, 08:53 AM

Let the world know we are the biggest non-religious, non-sectarian, non-political football club in Scotland!!! Totally disagree with you...am non religous hibernian fan but i really hope you know the meaning and facts of the TRI-COLOUR the orange colour means william orange..white representing PEACE....green means gealic.....I LOOK FORWARD TO YOUR REPLY???????:flag:

joe breezy
22-04-2012, 08:58 AM
Aye, that's what I thought. Can we leave the sectarianism to the Old Firm and the Yams? Phrases like taigs and dirty orange *******s etc are not welcome.

It was clearly a joking manner mocking bigoted Jambos, not being a bigot :rolleyes:

Hibernia&Alba
22-04-2012, 09:09 AM
It was clearly a joking manner mocking bigoted Jambos, not being a bigot :rolleyes:

Fair enough, my apologies to Elephant Stone for not recognising his subversive use of the word. How about the use of inverted commas around the word as a disclaimer?
:na na:

NAE NOOKIE
22-04-2012, 09:41 AM
BTW - the Irish government has stated more than once that the tricolour is "green, white, and orange". The green represents the Gaelic tradition, the orange the Protestant followers of King William, and the white a truce between them. (I know - fat chance if the OF have their way!)

They have also stated repeatedly that flags with a yellow or 'gold' stripe replacing the Orange aren't really Irish national flags.

So when Celtic supporters start rabbitting about 'green-white-and-gold' being hte colours, they're wrong.

Or they're deliberately and wrongly appropriating (stealing) the flag of the Republic for the benefit of terrorist or paramilitary organistaions, just as the other side wrongly appropriate (steal) the Union Flag for their own purposes.

Apart from my objection to including James Connolly in Hibs stuff both this and your post before it are top notch. Hats off :agree:

22-04-2012, 11:03 AM
Had the displeasure of walking through on way to the last semi at Hampden 'up to our knees in fenian blood' singing about the Pope for some reason, lots of sectarian knuckle draggin nonsense.

I went to Tynecastle School, racist bigot-fest with the majority of them...

:agree: Yes, every time they come to ER, they are always in full voice walking down Easter Road with loud and proud renditions of FTP, fenian blood etc etc whilst waving their union jacks. Disgusting mob that they are.

CorkHib
07-05-2012, 11:47 PM

Let the world know we are the biggest c football club in Scotland!!!

Have to smile at this ... I'm a secular Hibs fan who happens to reside in the ROI and would like an independent Cork - but hey we all have aspirations ;)

Quite a few of us in these parts like and follow Hibs for the non-religious, non-sectarian, non-political slant, while at the same time appreciating and relating to the Irish roots side too

Nailrod
08-05-2012, 04:27 AM
Whichever way this debate pans out, it's well worth remembering that last time we won the cup we had an Irish manager... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Cup_1901%E2%80%9302)

:pfgwa

hibbiedon
08-05-2012, 06:14 AM

Silly me singing sunshine on leith, should it be sunshine in dublin ?

BoltonHibee
08-05-2012, 06:16 AM
Silly me singing sunshine on leith, should it be sunshine in dublin ?

Sing what you want, I don't really care. I am not sure I know that one right enough

--------
08-05-2012, 09:32 AM
We will be seen worldwide on the 19th. It would be good if people watching us might come away with the picture of a club supported by fans who sing and chant and get behind their team without resorting to open support for terrorist/paramilitary/criminal organisations, and without singing about 'gay' and 'paedo' Hearts players and supporters.

Leave THAT stuff to the low-life from the west of the city.

The last Final we were 3-0 down. Some of us began to make for the exits. Where I was in the main stand those leaving were told in no uncertain terms to stay put - the Soapies were already singing "we can see you sneaking out".

One of the guys behind me stood up and started singing "Glory, glory". We joined in, then the song spread. By the end of the game you couldn't hear the Soapies, and our players got a bigger cheer when they went up for their runners-up medals than the riff-raff got for lifting the Cup.

Small victory, maybe - I'd rather have won the trophy, but then, and in 2007 when we won the CIS, no one watching could have taken anything but good things from the way the Hibees conducted themselves.

A few Irish flags won't spoil the occasion - paedo and gay songs (or silence foloowed by violence) will.

Hibernia Na Eir
08-05-2012, 09:44 AM
Totally disagree with you...am non religous hibernian fan but i really hope you know the meaning and facts of the TRI-COLOUR the orange colour means william orange..white representing PEACE....green means gealic.....I LOOK FORWARD TO YOUR REPLY???????:flag:

I'm also struggling to understand how some individuals can claim that a national flag is "political or religious".

Keith_M
08-05-2012, 09:52 AM
I'm also struggling to understand how some individuals can claim that a national flag is "political or religious".

I'm not taking one side or the other with this comment but...

...surely the flag of a country is by definition political? :dunno:

I suppose you could say that, at the very least, the vatican flag is actually religous :wink:

--------
08-05-2012, 10:21 AM

Flags are appropriated by groups and factions other than those who first designed the flag. Hibs supporters from the Irish Republic have every right, I would have thought, to bring flags to the final supporting Hibs and based on the flag of their country. they're not being 'religious' or 'political' - they're being Hibs fans who know the history.

Unlike the majority of Celtic fans I know, who're having a good day if they know which way up they are.

Just as many Hibs fans took green-and-white St Andrew's flags to Hampden in 2007, I expect many to do so on the 19th. And mixed in there will be a few tricolours. So are we going to have a flag debate at Hampden, or get behind the team?

The club has moved on from then, but retains a connection with the past. Deny that past, and you deny part of Hibs. The greatest living Hibs player, whom I was privileged to watch many times in my youth, is Pat Stanton, the great-great nephew of Michael Whelahan, one of the club's founders and our first club captain. the link is there - not a political or religious link - a football one.

Hibs have a history that none of us need be ashamed of. Hibs are a Scottish football club with roots among the Irish community of the South Side, Abbeyhill and Easter Road areas of the city in the 1870's. They were set up all those years ago to confront and challenge sectarian, racial and ethnic prejudice. Hibs broke down those barriers - not Celtic.

Celtic was set up on the foundation of the 13-years work of the Hibernian committee, with no regard for what the Hibs committee had achieved, and with the full intention of destroying what the Hibs committee had achieved. Celtic were never interested in toleration or principle - their committee was motivated by one thing - profit. They were there to make money for their backers, as the 'other half' of a two-headed monster now known as 'the Old Firm'.

That alone should be enough to stop any Hibs supporters ape-ing or imitating the Weegie Unwashed.

DH1875
08-05-2012, 12:01 PM
If I wanted to bring a Gambian or Honduran flag no one would bat an eye lid. At the CIS cup final there were Moroccan flags and the club were even selling Moroccan t-shirts. If someone wants to bring the Irish flag with them then why shouldn't they.

I do agree though. The harp looks a lot better and if I were bringing one that's what I'd bring :agree:.

nic81
08-05-2012, 02:15 PM
I will be bringing mine and its a cracker:hibees

blackpoolhibs
08-05-2012, 03:26 PM
I'm just worried our huge new green white and gold flag will spoil the display section 43 are planning?

happiehibbie
08-05-2012, 03:27 PM
Football is not the place for politics or religion

GGTH

BoltonHibee
08-05-2012, 03:28 PM
I'm just worried our huge new green white and gold flag will spoil the display section 43 are planning?

Its all in hand, it forms a large part of the display

blackpoolhibs
08-05-2012, 03:30 PM
Its all in hand, it forms a large part of the display

By the way, there are some right ugly buggers on the front page of the official site today. :wink:

.Sean.
08-05-2012, 03:34 PM
Out of interest BH, what size is your new flag?

We (East Lothian Hibs) will have our new 20ft x 10ft flag in time for the final. We'll have it 'surfing' beforehand hopefully, but dunno how big the railings are down the front of the North Stand are for tying it to during the game?!

blackpoolhibs
08-05-2012, 03:41 PM
Out of interest BH, what size is your new flag?

We (East Lothian Hibs) will have our new 20ft x 10ft flag in time for the final. We'll have it 'surfing' beforehand hopefully, but dunno how big the railings are down the front of the North Stand are for tying it to during the game?!

40ft by 40ft apparently.

HibernianBohs
08-05-2012, 03:58 PM
This is a ridiculous argument, people bring a few tricolours to all Hibs' games anyway meaning there is a very slim chance of it looking like a sea of green white and orange. If Hibs were anyway like Celtic then they would have loads of tricolours and republicans songs at every game, if you do not like them go and support the Yams or Huns. Nutsy is Irish anyway :)

--------
08-05-2012, 04:09 PM
This is a ridiculous argument, people bring a few tricolours to all Hibs' games anyway meaning there is a very slim chance of it looking like a sea of green white and orange. If Hibs were anyway like Celtic then they would have loads of tricolours and republicans songs at every game, if you do not like them go and support the Yams or Huns. Nutsy is Irish anyway :)

Exactly. :agree:

HUTCHYHIBBY
08-05-2012, 04:24 PM
if you do not like them go and support the Yams or Huns.

Seriously?

HibernianBohs
08-05-2012, 04:33 PM
Seriously?
:shhhsh!:

HibsMax
08-05-2012, 04:34 PM
I wonder what my chances of survival are with me and an Old Glory? Hmmmm.

HUTCHYHIBBY
08-05-2012, 04:37 PM
:shhhsh!:

Thats that cleared up then.

hopefulhibby
09-05-2012, 05:43 PM

It will be a hibby family day out with lots of tri-colours to celebrate our heritage and acknowledge our Irish players and supporters

Lungo--Drom
09-05-2012, 06:15 PM
I'm of Irish descent and have a strong affilliation with the island of Ireland, all 32 counties of it.

Before the tri-colour was adopted as the flag of the Irish independence movement, being hoisted above the GPO in Dublin at Easter in 1916 the golden harp flag, originally a gold harp on a BLUE background then progressively it changed to a gold harp on a green background was used as a symbol of the quest for Irish independence and as a symbol of Irishness. As the harp is part of the Hibernian official badge it can represent Hibs as much as it represents Ireland.

I think that the golden harp flag should be flown f you feel the urge to fly an Irish flag as I totally agree with an earlier poster that we don't want the media to assume that we are somehow connected (except by the fact they copied the format set out by Cannon Hannan & co.) to Smelltic or the OF. Anyway the tri-colour has orange in it and yes I flew mine at the International Rules football in Dublin a couple of years ago but would never dream of taking it to a Hibs match.

Hibernia Na Eir
09-05-2012, 08:46 PM
as an aside to the OP.....
IF we won cup, would certain people here still be seriously miffed if an Irish flag was draped over Fenlon or Doyle in the midst of the celebrations?

Ryan91
09-05-2012, 09:30 PM
as an aside to the OP.....
IF we won cup, would certain people here still be seriously miffed if an Irish flag was draped over Fenlon or Doyle in the midst of the celebrations?

I wouldn't be miffed at all; they are from the Republic so I see no harm in them being draped in an Irish Tricolour.

Out of interest anyone know where you can get an Irish harp flag from?

Dashing Bob S
09-05-2012, 09:44 PM
I'd much prefer it if Hibs and Hearts fans simply dispensed with tricolors and union jacks. I'd hate the final to be seen as a diet OF game, which is how it will be painted by smug west of Scotland pundits, who will use the preponderance of such flags as an excuse to talk about 'how sectarianism isn't limited to the OF' the next time one of them start their antics.

That said, it's not going to happen. There are too many unimaginative bams, who believe that this is still the quickest way to wind up their opposite numbers. And sadly, (and this says a lot about the prevailing mentality and poor levels of schooling in this country) they are probably right.

The rest of us will just have to grin and bear it.

LancsHibs
09-05-2012, 10:01 PM
I'd much prefer it if Hibs and Hearts fans simply dispensed with tricolors and union jacks. I'd hate the final to be seen as a diet OF game, which is how it will be painted by smug west of Scotland pundits, who will use the preponderance of such flags as an excuse to talk about 'how sectarianism isn't limited to the OF' the next time one of them start their antics.

That said, it's not going to happen. There are too many unimaginative bams, who believe that this is still the quickest way to wind up their opposite numbers. And sadly, (and this says a lot about the prevailing mentality and poor levels of schooling in this country) they are probably right.

You're not wrong!

HUTCHYHIBBY
10-05-2012, 12:20 AM
Wise words as ever DBS!

1875godsgift
10-05-2012, 12:37 AM

So we have to ignore our Irish roots just because some weejie journalists try to use it for their own agenda? I'm proud of where we came from, the ideals the founders of our club thought were important enough to fight for.

Fair enough if they want to fly union jacks, that's up to them.

Ryan91
10-05-2012, 12:51 AM
So we have to ignore our Irish roots just because some weejie journalists try to use it for their own agenda? I'm proud of where we came from, the ideals the founders of our club thought were important enough to fight for.

Fair enough if they want to fly union jacks, that's up to them.

In 1875, the tricolour wasn't yet in use, it was still 41 years away. At that time, the flag that was in use was a simple green background with a harp on it, this flag is still in use with a blue background as the flag of the Irish president and as the flag of the Province of Leinster.

As has been said before if we really want to pay homage to our roots, we ought to use the Harp flag, as it doesn't have any sectarian connotations.

1875godsgift
10-05-2012, 01:02 AM
In 1875, the tricolour wasn't yet in use, it was still 41 years away. At that time, the flag that was in use was a simple green background with a harp on it, this flag is still in use with a blue background as the flag of the Irish president and as the flag of the Province of Leinster.

As has been said before if we really want to pay homage to our roots, we ought to use the Harp flag, as it doesn't have any sectarian connotations.

Fair play, I didn't know that. I thought it was the unofficial flag of the Irish Free State since 1848, and would therefore have been widely known and recognised by Irish Nationalists by 1875.
Having said that, my favourite is the green n black union jack!

JOD
10-05-2012, 01:47 AM
A little montage' about our roots

'' Sure we are the Hibs of Edinburgh''

nuff said I Tink :wink::wink: :greengrin:greengrin

Hail Hail cu all 19th

www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj-2VYeUHxs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj-2VYeUHxs)

SkintHibby
10-05-2012, 04:15 AM

This is the exact point of my original posting!:agree:

As I said, I like the tri-colour and I believe in a united Ireland but don't want to see it on the big day.

Well done DBS for putting the point cross so well!:agree:

Hibrandenburg
10-05-2012, 05:31 AM
Why don't we all just fly the flag of the Ivory Coast? It'll stop all this bigotry nonsense :wink:

Hibs07p
10-05-2012, 05:39 AM

Better remember to bring his army with it.....

... just to hold it up. :wink:

I wasn't thinking about bringing a flag, but now I fancy a tri-colour. :na na:

GGTTH