PDA

View Full Version : "Sunshine on Leith"...Best time to sing it ?

fit o' the walk
18-04-2012, 09:13 PM
This song is so inspirational and the Hibs fans singing it have been praised far and wide when we sing it. But at the Final when would be the best time to sing it,bearing in mind a couple of things,firstly when the team appears there will be the brilliant card display,which will take up both hands,SOL looks great with all the scarfs and flags held up.Would a pre arranged start to SOL say 10 mins before ko be good,it would need to be 10 mins before because of the pre match presentation etc.Followed by the card display as the team comes out. In our last Final and last weeks semi it was played at the end of the game(it will this time too) and it had the music to it. We can't wait until the end of the game,i think the team hearing it in the dressing room and in the tunnel would inspire them even more,i can just see James McPake banging his fist on his chest and shouting to his team mates "C'mon thats what it means to tens of thousands of Hibs fans,lets do it,get intae them " Any thoughts guys ? :flag::flag::flag:

Scouse Hibee
18-04-2012, 09:15 PM
This song is so inspirational and the Hibs fans singing it have been praised far and wide when we sing it. But at the Final when would be the best time to sing it,bearing in mind a couple of things,firstly when the team appears there will be the brilliant card display,which will take up both hands,SOL looks great with all the scarfs and flags held up.Would a pre arranged start to SOL say 10 mins before ko be good,it would need to be 10 mins before because of the pre match presentation etc.Followed by the card display as the team comes out. In our last Final and last weeks semi it was played at the end of the game(it will this time too) and it had the music to it. We can't wait until the end of the game,i think the team hearing it in the dressing room and in the tunnel would inspire them even more,i can just see James McPake banging his fist on his chest and shouting to his team mates "C'mon thats what it means to tens of thousands of Hibs fans,lets do it,get intae them " Any thoughts guys ? :flag::flag::flag:

Right after the third Hibs goal without reply enters the net!

7-Heaven
18-04-2012, 09:16 PM
End of the game, once we've won :flag:

nonshinyfinish
18-04-2012, 09:17 PM
Right after the third Hibs goal without reply enters the net!

End of the game, once we've won :flag:

:agree:

If the players aren't up for this game then they never will be, save it for that impossibly sweet moment of victory.

Persevere80
18-04-2012, 09:27 PM
sounds a good idea, and i got a wee shiver thinking about it, but we will all know when the time is right.

Greendub
18-04-2012, 09:32 PM
I know it's very unlikely, but should we go down more than 2, I think if we show solidarity scarfes and flags waving and everyone of us sing that song. Should show them how much it means to us.

I think before the game is a good idea, and when we win, I hope Tv cover it like the CIS cup

Edinburgh Green
18-04-2012, 09:33 PM
End of the game, once we're won!! unfortunately because it's a slow song with gaps between the lyrics, it would probably get drowned out quite easily if sung during the game.

PatHead
18-04-2012, 09:35 PM

If the players aren't up for this game then they never will be, save it for that impossibly sweet moment of victory.

Was speaking to a retired professional footballer today who has played in Cup semis but never made a final. He said that the biggest problem is dealing with nerves not getting up for the game. He felt that the nervous energy drained him rather than helped him and that is why Rangers and Celtic usually do better in the big games. They traditionally cope better due to the experience. He thinks whoever deals with their nerves the best will be well on their way to winning. Imagine how nervous we are and compare that to how the players are feeling as they come out on the pitch.

You never know a rendition of Sunshine on Leith could heighten the tension rather than helping it! Lets save it for McPake or Murray lifting the Cup!

chrisski33
18-04-2012, 10:03 PM
All the ******g time! We should sing it win lose or draw and not just at the end of the game. The yams have np anthem they can sing whilst we will always do! GGTTH

frazeHFC
18-04-2012, 10:09 PM
I think at half time as well, winning, losing or drawing.

chrisski33
18-04-2012, 10:10 PM
All the ******g time! We should sing it win lose or draw and not just at the end of the game. The yams have np anthem they can sing whilst we will always do! GGTTH

monktonharp
18-04-2012, 10:29 PM
All the ******g time! We should sing it win lose or draw and not just at the end of the game. The yams have np anthem they can sing whilst we will always do! GGTTH it definately wont be a draw:wink:

steakbake
18-04-2012, 10:31 PM
when 3-0 with a minute to go or when the cup is being paraded in green and white.

chrisski33
18-04-2012, 11:12 PM
it definately wont be a draw:wink:

My point was we should sing ot whether we are winning, losing or drawinh! And we should sing it every week!

HibeeMG
19-04-2012, 12:45 AM
Can anyone tell me when they last heard a good rendition of SOL without the music being played?

Unlike most of our other chants/songs, it's not an easy one to get going so needs the music to keep everyone together.

jgl07
19-04-2012, 01:20 AM
Can anyone tell me when they last heard a good rendition of SOL without the music being played?

On the train back from Mount Florida after the Ayr United League Cup Semi-Final at Hampden.

The emphasis was on 'Sorrow, sorrow....'!

Thomson1875
19-04-2012, 01:20 AM

Unlike most of our other chants/songs, it's not an easy one to get going so needs the music to keep everyone together.

Think ayr away was the best attempt i have heard, although a lot of folk skipped onto the chorus. Still a cracking effort though.

Hibercelona
19-04-2012, 05:32 AM
At the end when the lads go up to lift the Scottish Cup. :agree:

Phil D. Rolls
19-04-2012, 07:08 AM
I think some people need to find something to take their mind of the game, such as a girlfriend.

FFS, we'll be debating whether the players should have matching underwear next. For the record, Sunshine on Leith is a disaster every time it is played. The fans don't know the words, they don't know the tune, and it takes too long to get to the one bit that everyone can sing along with.

See that time they played it agains AEK Athens? The next thing that happened was that the opposition scored. Worth thinking about.

Phil D. Rolls
19-04-2012, 07:10 AM

Can you tell me the words of the first verse - without looking up Google?

N.Wales Hibby
19-04-2012, 09:22 AM
I think some people need to find something to take their mind of the game, such as a girlfriend.

FFS, we'll be debating whether the players should have matching underwear next. For the record, Sunshine on Leith is a disaster every time it is played. The fans don't know the words, they don't know the tune, and it takes too long to get to the one bit that everyone can sing along with.

See that time they played it agains AEK Athens? The next thing that happened was that the opposition scored. Worth thinking about.

What a great idea, Filled Rolls. I am now going to start a new thread on the players underpants. I think they should be matching green with white piping down either side.:wink:

Killiehibbie
19-04-2012, 09:33 AM
Can you tell me the words of the first verse - without looking up Google?All the words

My heart was broken, my heart was broken
Sorrow Sorrow Sorrow Sorrow

You saw it, You claimed it
You touched it, You saved it

My tears are drying, my tears are drying
Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou
My tears are drying, my tears are drying

Your beauty and kindness
Made tears clear my blindness
While I'm worth my room on this earth
I will be with you
While the Chief, puts Sunshine On Leith
I'll thank him for his work
And your birth and my birth.

Sorrow Sorrow Sorrow Sorrow

While I'm worth my room on this earth
I will be with you
While the Chief, puts Sunshine On Leith
I'll thank him for his work
And your birth and my birth.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.

Greendub
19-04-2012, 10:27 AM
Maybe just stick to the usual chants for durin the game then

And save SOL for when we win

19-04-2012, 10:32 AM
Definatly needs to be sung at the start of the game (after the card display) and at some point during the game. All the scarfs up, everyone singing top of their lungs. This would/should give our players a massive lift and hopefully inspire them to win!

I remember watching a documentary a wee while ago about when Liverpool won the champions league in Istanbul. At half time, they were 3 nil down, and while the teams were in the dressing room the whole liverpool crowd started belting out "You'll Never Walk Alone". The players heard this in the dressing room and must have helped inspire them to produce the remarkable come back and go on to eventually win it.

Sunshine on Leith looks absolutely amazing when its in full flow, with all the hibs fans joining in with the scarfs up! Watching the footage of us singing it after we won the cup in 2007 still to this day nearly brings a tear to my eye!

Lets get it going, and no doubt the jams will try to do their cringeworthy little twirly thing at the same time but wont look half as good compared to us :greengrin!

Phil D. Rolls
19-04-2012, 10:55 AM
What a great idea, Filled Rolls. I am now going to start a new thread on the players underpants. I think they should be matching green with white piping down either side.:wink:

Where would you put the sponsiors logo though? These things need lots of thought and planning.

N.Wales Hibby
19-04-2012, 11:09 AM
Where would you put the sponsiors logo though? These things need lots of thought and planning.
:wink:

Jones28
19-04-2012, 12:30 PM

Hasn't stopped me from thinking about it :paranoid:

stu in nottingham
19-04-2012, 12:50 PM
Where would you put the sponsiors logo though?

Where the sun doesn't shine.

joe breezy
19-04-2012, 02:53 PM
Sunshine on Leith is a dirge that took the oomph out of the atmosphere t the AEK Athens game

It's emotional and retrospective, it's not uplifting and action orientated. Time to sing it would be at the end only

marinello59
19-04-2012, 03:06 PM
It just doesn't work in the pre-match build up. It can be an atmosphere killer at times. Keep it for the end.

Captain Trips
19-04-2012, 03:08 PM
It just doesn't work in the pre-match build up. It can be an atmosphere killer at times. Keep it for the end.

HibeeMG
19-04-2012, 03:28 PM
Sunshine on Leith is a dirge that took the oomph out of the atmosphere t the AEK Athens game

It's emotional and retrospective, it's not uplifting and action orientated. Time to sing it would be at the end only

:confused:

One of the most spine-tingling, emotional moments in my time following Hibs. That was something special.

yeezus.
19-04-2012, 03:33 PM
Definitely at the end - once we have lifted the Scottish cup.

clerriehibs
19-04-2012, 09:55 PM
I know it's very unlikely, but should we go down more than 2, I think if we show solidarity scarfes and flags waving and everyone of us sing that song. Should show them how much it means to us.

I think before the game is a good idea, and when we win, I hope Tv cover it like the CIS cup

god forbid