PDA

View Full Version : Non OF games that could sell out Hampden for a cup final

lyonhibs
18-04-2012, 07:39 PM
One of the best things about the upcoming final is that it will be a Hampden sell out, without an Old Firm fan in sight. Scottish football needs more of these games, a hell of a lot more often.

Led me to thinking, which games - as a cup final - could sell out Hampden without any need for the Old Firm.

I'd fancy any combination of Hearts, Hibs or Aberdeen could sell it out. Then who (assuming one of the 1st 3 were in the final)? Killie - despite their diddy team home attendances - always take a disproportionate crowd to Hampden. Dundee United could get a fair few "Party like it's 1983" fans out of the woodwork, so add them in. If playing Dundee United, I guess Dundee (one of Scottish football's dormant big teams) would take a big crowd.

I think for a SC Final, Hibs/Hearts/Aberdeen vs Motherwell or Falkirk (who always take a decent following to ER in my experience) would sell out.

Any other teams. I think the rest of the SPL would struggle to take more than 12-15k to a final at best.

frazeHFC
18-04-2012, 07:48 PM
One of the best things about the upcoming semi final is that it will be a Hampden sell out, without an Old Firm fan in sight. Scottish football needs more of these games, a hell of a lot more often.

Led me to thinking, which games - as a cup final - could sell out Hampden without any need for the Old Firm.

I'd fancy any combination of Hearts, Hibs or Aberdeen could sell it out. Then who (assuming one of the 1st 3 were in the final)? Killie - despite their diddy team home attendances - always take a disproportionate crowd to Hampden. Dundee United could get a fair few "Party like it's 1983" fans out of the woodwork, so add them in. If playing Dundee United, I guess Dundee (one of Scottish football's dormant big teams) would take a big crowd.

I think for a SC Final, Hibs/Hearts/Aberdeen vs Motherwell or Falkirk (who always take a decent following to ER in my experience) would sell out.

Any other teams. I think the rest of the SPL would struggle to take more than 12-15k to a final at best.

Semi-final aye? :greengrin

Us v anyone would sell out imo. We could sell 40,000 v anyone especially not the OFand the opposition would easily fill the rest.

Pretty Boy
18-04-2012, 07:50 PM
Semi-final aye? :greengrin

Us v anyone would sell out imo. We could sell 40,000 v anyone especially not the OFand the opposition would easily fill the rest.

Except Livingstone.

frazeHFC
18-04-2012, 08:28 PM
Except Livingstone.

Oh aye :greengrin

Were they in the SPL when we played them, or still Div1?

Frazerbob
18-04-2012, 08:32 PM

Not only were they in the SPL when they beat us in the League Cup Final, they were above us in the league.

jgl07
18-04-2012, 08:36 PM

They were in the SPL when Hibs played them in the League Cup Final.

They were above Hibs in the SPL and were in the UEFA Cup the season before.

Sylar
18-04-2012, 09:01 PM
Except Livingstone.

Deary me, really?

They were in the SPL Fraze.

nonshinyfinish
18-04-2012, 09:03 PM
Deary me, really?

Dr. Livingstone, I presume?

Mikey_1875
18-04-2012, 09:10 PM
Dunfermline I think could take a big crowd with the help of a hibs/hearts/aberdeen

Toggie88
18-04-2012, 09:21 PM
If it's Heart/Hibs/Aberdeen v a smaller club final it will sell out as the 'Big 3' will think they have it sewn up and will assume it's a chance to see their club win a trophy.

See Hearts v Gretna. Jambos knew they were going to see their club lift some silverware so they sold out their allocation of 40,000. Same would happen for Hibs and Aberdeen.

jgl07
18-04-2012, 09:26 PM
Dr. Livingstone, I presume?

Or even Livingston!

Hibs or Hearts could fill Hampden for a Scottish Cup Final or a League Cup Final against any current SPL team. You could probably add Dundee, Falkirk, Ross County and maybe Partick Thistle and Morton to that list. If Inverness or Ross County made a final they would bring half the Highlands down for the match. The likes of Hamilton and Airdrie saw their support erode during years in exile as is also the case with Clyde.

Aberdeen could fill Hampden against most SPL teams in a Scottish Cup final.

Kilmarnock could also probably fill Hampden against the better supported SPL teams. They pulled in nearly 50,000 for the 1997 Final against Falkirk.

I am not sure what would happen with say, St Mirren against St Johnstone or Motherwell.

lyonhibs
18-04-2012, 10:11 PM
Or even Livingston!

Hibs or Hearts could fill Hampden for a Scottish Cup Final or a League Cup Final against any current SPL team. You could probably add Dundee, Falkirk, Ross County and maybe Partick Thistle and Morton to that list. If Inverness or Ross County made a final they would bring half the Highlands down for the match. The likes of Hamilton and Airdrie saw their support erode during years in exile as is also the case with Clyde.

Aberdeen could fill Hampden against most SPL teams in a Scottish Cup final.

Kilmarnock could also probably fill Hampden against the better supported SPL teams. They pulled in nearly 50,000 for the 1997 Final against Falkirk.

I am not sure what would happen with say, St Mirren against St Johnstone or Motherwell.

I beg your pardon? Killie had almost 50k for the 97 Cup Final. What, actually in the ground?
I think not.

jgl07
18-04-2012, 10:14 PM
I beg your pardon? Killie had almost 50k for the 97 Cup Final. What, actually in the ground?
I think not.

I was referring to the total attendance which was 48,953.

monktonharp
19-04-2012, 12:03 AM
I was referring to the total attendance which was 48,953.that Final, was played at Ibrox:wink: you also make mistakes my friend:wink:

jgl07
19-04-2012, 12:41 AM
that Final, was played at Ibrox:wink: you also make mistakes my friend:wink:

Did I say that the match was at Hampden?

Where the match was played is irrelevant.

I was arguing that Kilmarnock have the support base to fill Hampden with a suitable team in opposition.

Hibercelona
19-04-2012, 05:37 AM
If it's Heart/Hibs/Aberdeen v a smaller club final it will sell out as the 'Big 3' will think they have it sewn up and will assume it's a chance to see their club win a trophy.

See Hearts v Gretna. Jambos knew they were going to see their club lift some silverware so they sold out their allocation of 40,000. Same would happen for Hibs and Aberdeen.

Hearts really gave Gretna a doing right enough. :wink:

If this final goes all the way to pens, I think my chest may just burst open.

We've never lost on pens to any Scottish team you know? :cool2:

killie-hibby
19-04-2012, 07:04 AM
One of the best things about the upcoming final is that it will be a Hampden sell out, without an Old Firm fan in sight. Scottish football needs more of these games, a hell of a lot more often.

I hope Chick Young,the self appointed Font of All Football Knowledge reads this thread. Here is a quote from his blog on the BBC Sport website dated March 7th. "without the oldfirm matches, the Scottish game is about as showbiz as the Sky at Night."

Phil MaGlass
19-04-2012, 01:04 PM
To be honest I think every team in the SPL has the chance to fill Hampdump if the OF were not in Scottish fitba.
They really under estimate the rest of us.