PDA

View Full Version : McPake & Coventry

HibeeMG
17-04-2012, 07:54 PM
With Coventry being in the relegation do-do in the Championship, if they go down how do you think that will affect James McPake coming to us permanently? How long does he have left on his contract there?

Reaper
17-04-2012, 07:57 PM
I wondered that too. I think it may be bad if they go down as he'll be one of the lower earners and may be one they want to keep, whereas in the championship may feel he's not quite good enough. Guess we'll find out after he's lifted the Cup :greengrin

Mikey
17-04-2012, 07:58 PM
Scoops mentioned recently that we'd already agreed a fee with them for him.

NORTHERNHIBBY
17-04-2012, 08:14 PM
I would think that he would be a stick out at that level and that they would want to keep him.

stevenhibs
17-04-2012, 08:24 PM
He might not want to play at that level though and play in Europe instead.... *crosses fingers*. ;-)

SouthEnglandHib
17-04-2012, 10:27 PM
if he goes back to Coventry, should i take my hibs top when my local team go there next season?

LeithBoozy
17-04-2012, 10:54 PM
I read somewhere that he used to be a forward, he seems to keep a weathered eye on sparky and Garry. He seems to have made the step back into defence no problem, looks like he has played there all his life, does anyone remember him from his days with Livi?

CraigHibee
18-04-2012, 10:47 AM

would love this to be true

DH1875
18-04-2012, 10:52 AM
Think they'd look to keep him if I'm honest. Same goes with Griffiths at Wolves.

hibsbollah
18-04-2012, 11:26 AM
Demonstrations at the Ricoh arena against the costcutting owners last night. They seem to be a 'crisis club' atm, which could go in our favour re McPake just as much as what div theyre playing in.

Albion Hibs
18-04-2012, 11:36 AM
I would think it means he is more likely to go back. They obviously do not think he is good enough at championship level, I would think dropping a division potetially puts him back in contention / more likely to get a game for them.

I would not think he is one of their higher earns so dont see them saving much by getting rid of him. not ideal IMO for us.

That said regardless they may have made their minds up on him and look to get rid, in which case a reasonable opportunity for us.

AustinHibee
18-04-2012, 11:44 AM
Surely we should be putting a reasonable offer in for him now before someone
else tries to buy a Scottish Cup winning captain!!!

Frogga
18-04-2012, 11:47 AM
I read somewhere that he used to be a forward, he seems to keep a weathered eye on sparky and Garry. He seems to have made the step back into defence no problem, looks like he has played there all his life, does anyone remember him from his days with Livi?

I remember him being a striker (through newspaper reports, etc) although I don't think I ever saw him play until he joined us. He came through around the same time as Graham Dorrans and Murray Davidson I think.

IanM
18-04-2012, 12:14 PM
the type of player we could do with 11 of imo. he's been a revelation, hearty, gutsy, reads the game well and Hanlon has certainly benefited from playing next to him

no brainer we should pull out the stops to keep him

judas
18-04-2012, 12:17 PM
With Coventry being in the relegation do-do in the Championship, if they go down how do you think that will affect James McPake coming to us permanently? How long does he have left on his contract there?

He is on £9000k per week at Coventry and I hear Hibs have a cap of £2500per week.

Can't see us holding on to him tbh and that is depressing.

Calasandro
18-04-2012, 12:21 PM
I remember one game he played against us at Livingston. We won 2-0 with Deeks and O'connor the scorers. I mind saying to my Dad early in the first half that a certain Livi player appears to be man marking Deeks as he was putting in a few tasty challenges. It was a midfield type role as Deeks played wide left.

muzzhfc
18-04-2012, 12:44 PM
Think they'd look to keep him if I'm honest. Same goes with Griffiths at Wolves.

wolves put sparky on the transfer market in Jan, really cant see him featuring.

I remember Paddy saying that we have first option on a couple of the loan boys. I hope its McPake and Griffiths. Maybe Soares, im a little undecided on him

DH1875
18-04-2012, 12:48 PM
wolves put sparky on the transfer market in Jan, really cant see him featuring.

I remember Paddy saying that we have first option on a couple of the loan boys. I hope its McPake and Griffiths. Maybe Soares, im a little undecided on him

That was under their old manager and they had a chance of staying up. They are certs to go down and the likes of Fletch will be off. If Griffiths keeps it up till the end of season, their new manager would be daft not to have a look.
Agree about Soares. There's def a footballer in there :agree:.

Johnny_Leith
18-04-2012, 12:53 PM
He is on £9000k per week at Coventry and I hear Hibs have a cap of £2500per week.

I've heard hibs will pull out the stops to keep him as fenlon wants to build a team around him. I believe mcpake and francombe are two we have options on.

joebakerforever
18-04-2012, 01:26 PM
Sure I read somewhere that James's wife has not settled in the Midlands and wishes to return to Scotland.

If Petrie can buy both McPake & Griffiths, asap after we have confirmed our SPL future, would expect an increase in ST sales also.

Hibby Bairn
18-04-2012, 03:17 PM

Understand the reluctance to take a big drop in wages but you would think someone could "survive" on £120k per year. Maybe a decent up front signing on fee would help on the back of what must be unbudgeted income from the cup run.

johnrebus
18-04-2012, 03:26 PM

Can't see that being the case. Coventry are skinter than skint and have been for years, they will be pretty close to administraion themselves,

Doubt if he is on more than £4k per week.

The problem is that other clubs will have noticed his performances for us recently and will have taken note. McPakes problems have been with injury not form - he will probably have a number of willing suitors come the end of the season.

Lets just hope that wherever he goes, there is a Scottish Cup Winners Medal in his pocket.

:cb

Brooster
18-04-2012, 03:41 PM
Absolute bull. I know what he is on at Coventry and its no where near £9k a week.

18-04-2012, 03:58 PM
Would love us to give him a long term contract here. He is the sort of player and leader that we have been desperately in need of since Jones left. Ian Murray was a good captain but as he has gotten older he has lost his form. McPake is a fantastic leader, he commands his box, he is strong and gets the defence organised. He won everything in the air on saturday and was quite rightly MOtM.

Once survival is mathematically guaranteed, we need to (along with some others) wrap him up in cotton wool, we cant afford to have key players out with injuries going into May 19. We need him there in defence to try keep Beatie and Skacel at bay.

muzzhfc
18-04-2012, 05:43 PM
just spotted something 9000K a week. thats £9,000,000 a week. pedantic, i know.

I dunno if we should sign francomb on long term, i think he is decent, but im just unsure. def get rid of towell, he done well last year but lets not sign him again this year. our priorities should be signing mcpake and griffiths long term, possibly new contract for "big" gaz, coupld of spl experienced players and fill in the slots with youth. think murray should stick about.

an idea for the final; murray left back (if fit), and push kujabi into left midfield, let him attack the hearts while nid covers him. that way we have a decent back line and a decent left winger. sproule either on the right or to come on as an impact sub.

Seveno
18-04-2012, 06:00 PM

Ivan must have been the same.

jgl07
18-04-2012, 06:28 PM
just spotted something 9000K a week. thats £9,000,000 a week. pedantic, i know.

I dunno if we should sign francomb on long term, i think he is decent, but im just unsure. def get rid of towell, he done well last year but lets not sign him again this year. our priorities should be signing mcpake and griffiths long term, possibly new contract for "big" gaz, coupld of spl experienced players and fill in the slots with youth. think murray should stick about.

an idea for the final; murray left back (if fit), and push kujabi into left midfield, let him attack the hearts while nid covers him. that way we have a decent back line and a decent left winger. sproule either on the right or to come on as an impact sub.

Murray is not worth a new contract unless he is moving into coaching because he misses far too many matches. His condition is such that it will get worse year on year. He may be worth a punt as a player coach.

Liam89
18-04-2012, 06:30 PM

He's on 9 million a week?!

J-C
18-04-2012, 06:33 PM

Depends if a fee was agreed at the end of the loan, with the option to buy,the clubs involved couldn't go back on that.

Scouse Hibee
18-04-2012, 06:37 PM
Murray is not worth a new contract unless he is moving into coaching because he misses far too many matches. His condition is such that it will get worse year on year. He may be worth a punt as a player coach.

Not doubting you but quite a few back "his condition" was supposed to imminently finish his career according to some, he's lasted quite a bit longer than that, I wonder just what the real story is?

jgl07
18-04-2012, 06:44 PM
Not doubting you but quite a few back "his condition" was supposed to imminently finish his career according to some, he's lasted quite a bit longer than that, I wonder just what the real story is?

I would agree that he has lasted longer than we were led to believe. But he is missing a lot of matches.

He has only made 12 starts plus 2 sub appearances in the SPL plus 2 starts in the League Cup.

Just_Jimmy
18-04-2012, 06:49 PM
I'll say it now, if Hibernian FC sign James McPake on a permanent deal (even after the final), I will buy a season ticket next season.

I know the arguement exists to buy it now so we can sign him, however recently (I feel since around 2005) we have failed to show any ambition to invest in the playing side of the club. This, to me, would signal the end of that nonsence so I would feel justified in offering the club my full financial backing as well as my vocal support.

McPake can go on to be a legend at this club, he'll lead us to greater things. Sign him.

HibeeMG
18-04-2012, 06:53 PM
I'll say it now, if Hibernian FC sign James McPake on a permanent deal (even after the final), I will buy a season ticket next season.

I know the arguement exists to buy it now so we can sign him, however recently (I feel since around 2005) we have failed to show any ambition to invest in the playing side of the club. This, to me, would signal the end of that nonsence so I would feel justified in offering the club my full financial backing as well as my vocal support.

McPake can go on to be a legend at this club, he'll lead us to greater things. Sign him.

I totally know what you're saying and agree but... I just wanted to point out that if we win the cup, McPake will be a legend by being the one to lift it! :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
18-04-2012, 06:55 PM

If more folk bought ST's we would be able to buy players of his quality, so how do we buy them if everyone waits until we sign them before they buy!

HibeeMG
18-04-2012, 06:58 PM
If more folk bought ST's we would be able to buy players of his quality, so how do we buy them if everyone waits until we sign them before they buy!

'Speculate to accumulate'. I think it's the clubs' turn to stand up and be counted first.

All this is a mute point if we win the cup. There will be more money in the pot and ST sales will rise.

Hibs7
18-04-2012, 07:22 PM
The money from the cup run will make a big difference. Plus when we are safe in the SPL, having won the cup, then a European place next season may just seal it to keep Griffiths and McPake.

Scouse Hibee
18-04-2012, 07:24 PM
The money from the cup run will make a big difference.

Maybe. I would certainly hope so.

Hibs7
18-04-2012, 07:44 PM

Dirkster23
18-04-2012, 07:49 PM

The money from the cup run will just help to offset some of the loses made this season.

Just_Jimmy
18-04-2012, 08:07 PM

As I noted in my post.

However, I had a season while we sold our best players and replaced them with pish. I got on with it. Enough was enough, McPake would be a sign that Hibs were making a stand against crap on the pitch and attempting to move on. That's all I want, I don't expect Messi, just good solid talent that we can build on and push on.

We as a support deserve that now.

Just_Jimmy
18-04-2012, 08:09 PM
'Speculate to accumulate'. I think it's the clubs' turn to stand up and be counted first.

All this is a mute point if we win the cup. There will be more money in the pot and ST sales will rise.

To an extent. I'm not saying splash 10million, just invest in a player who can go on to be a rock at the heart of our defence for the next decade. A player who knows the club and city and who the fans have taken to. If he goes on to do this we'll recoup a decent fee, we'll also show the doubters that we are serious as a football club.

Juice-Terry
18-04-2012, 08:13 PM
How old is McPake?

Jones28
18-04-2012, 08:15 PM

£9000 a week? At a bottom of the table Championship team? :confused:

Just_Jimmy
18-04-2012, 08:15 PM
How old is McPake?

24 June 1984 (age 27)

Kaiser1962
18-04-2012, 08:29 PM

That works every time right enough..........

Aritch
18-04-2012, 08:54 PM

Best keep that one quiet.

RyeSloan
19-04-2012, 04:05 PM
The money from the cup run will just help to offset some of the loses made this season.

And last....I honestly think that even with the cup run we will be facing a substantial loss for this season.

The cup run has probably saved us from a mini financial disaster considering the home gates and if we win the damn thing might just give season tickets enough of a boost to head off the clear problems we were having there as well.

So all in all I doubt there is a sudden influx of cash just waiting to be thrown at the team however if we can possibly hold onto McPake we should make every effort to do so!

scoopyboy
19-04-2012, 04:23 PM
£9000 a week? At a bottom of the table Championship team? :confused:

He most definitely not on that.

He is on higher than what we will pay him but I understand that's something he'll have to accept if he wants to return to Scotland.

His wife won't want to go back south.

My biggest fear is another club come in with more.

Although I have posted Coventry and Hibs have agreed a fee it doesn't mean he has to sign for Hibs if he doesn't want to.

IWasThere2016
19-04-2012, 04:28 PM

He'll be on 40% of that .. If he's lucky!

Hibstrooper
19-04-2012, 04:46 PM
He most definitely not on that.

He is on higher than what we will pay him but I understand that's something he'll have to accept if he wants to return to Scotland.

His wife won't want to go back south.

My biggest fear is another club come in with more.

Although I have posted Coventry and Hibs have agreed a fee it doesn't mean he has to sign for Hibs if he doesn't want to.

If it's another team in Scotland then who would we be up against? Hearts aren't in a position to throw about the money the used to and anyone else outside the Old Firm I'd be disappointed if Hibs didn't make the extra effort to match what they could offer.

Would the Old Firm be interested, I'm not sure - certainly hope not!

Malonga's Cat
19-04-2012, 05:00 PM
The fact he was sent out on loan at 27 year old means perhaps coventry don't have plans for him (hopefully) and he has been immense for us thus far. If he can go on to lift the cup he will become an instant legend! We need to do our best to sign him permanently, I haven't seen our defence looking this strong in years. He brings out the best in the others around him.

sesoim
19-04-2012, 05:55 PM

I doubt the £2500 wage cap is true. Our wage bill is over £4M, so that means we could afford to pay over thirty people £2500 a week, which certainly isn't the case.

Unfortunately although I think we will pull out all the stops to sign McPake, a few other teams must be starting to take notice.

3pm
19-04-2012, 06:34 PM
Can I play devil's advocate?!

Before I start, I will say I 100% want him to stay. Been excellent for us.

However, on the face of it, he doesn't appear to be good enough for a team who are about to get relegated from the Championship. Sent off against a Rangers team with one forward and had his worst game against Celtic?

So while he is an excellent Hibs player, is he good enough to be going to a 'big club' demanding big wages? Is this his level?

I think it might be.

CapitalHibs
19-04-2012, 06:40 PM
Well, this looks like a good start...

http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/fenlon-promised-money-to-rebuild-hibernian-3086736.html

Kenny1875
19-04-2012, 07:53 PM
Well, this looks like a good start...

http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/fenlon-promised-money-to-rebuild-hibernian-3086736.html

Should be spent on McPake firstly, then Griffiths, then perhaps offer GOC a new contract. Need new wingers, too. After that I'll be fairly happy. :thumbsup:

Craig_in_Prague
20-04-2012, 08:41 AM
He's gonna lift the cup and then never play for us again?
Doesn't sound right.

Although, once he's lifted the SC - what else is there to achieve. He may as well retire! Legend!

happiehibbie
20-04-2012, 02:45 PM

I played golf with Scoop today he said he he knows nothing on mcPake but is on 4k a week

greenlex
20-04-2012, 02:47 PM
I played golf with Scoop today he said he he knows nothing on mcPake but is on 4k a week
That's very decent money for Scoop. What does he do?

Brooster
20-04-2012, 03:24 PM
You played golf with scoopyboy? Doubt it lol. Mcpake is not on £4 k a week.

That's very decent money for Scoop. What does he do?

greenlex
20-04-2012, 03:33 PM
You played golf with scoopyboy? Doubt it lol. Mcpake is not on £4 k a week.
Nope. Dont know Scoopyboy from Brooster. :greengrin

Fergus52
20-04-2012, 03:35 PM

this might sound stupid, but who's scoop?

hibee92
21-04-2012, 12:03 AM

Scoobyboy on this mate.

lapsedhibee
21-04-2012, 07:55 AM

John Blackley.

smurf
21-04-2012, 08:05 AM
John Blackley.

Sloop.

Frogga
21-04-2012, 03:45 PM
Coventry about to be relegated if things don't change in the next minute.

Frogga
21-04-2012, 03:52 PM
Coventry down.

Eyrie
21-04-2012, 05:45 PM
Given that a fee has been agreed this may help us as we're offering SPL and European football against English Division One.