PDA

View Full Version : Ridiculously hiked coach hire prices

linlithgowhibbie
17-04-2012, 09:57 AM
As someone who hires between 20-30 buses a season for Hibs games I reckon I have a good idea of costs to most grounds including Hampden. I have previously hired 3 buses for our branch for finals. Now however i've even been quoted £900 for a 52 seater. It was £330 for the semi final last week from a local company for a 49 seater however he is booked with pipe bands. How do you tell folk who paid a £10 last week (or £5 for juvs/oaps) that it will be nearer £20 a head?????

Not going to name and shame companies but some of them need to get real. Supply and demand is what I was told, blatant profiteering was my reply.

Bottom line is I am struggling for even another 16 seater.

:pfgwa:pfgwa:pfgwa

Beefster
17-04-2012, 09:59 AM
As someone who hires between 20-30 buses a season for Hibs games I reckon I have a good idea of costs to most grounds including Hampden. I have previously hired 3 buses for our branch for finals. Now however i've even been quoted £900 for a 52 seater. It was £330 for the semi final last week from a local company for a 49 seater however he is booked with pipe bands. How do you tell folk who paid a £10 last week (or £5 for juvs/oaps) that it will be nearer £20 a head?????

Not going to name and shame companies but some of them need to get real. Supply and demand is what I was told, blatant profiteering was my reply.

I would.

DC_Hibs
17-04-2012, 10:03 AM
You should name and shame them as a bit of bad publicity might shame them into more reasonable demands. Hopefully the Evening News picks up on this as well as everyone seems to be having the same problem including someone who was offered a booked coach if he offered to pay more than the guy had already agreed with another group when taking the booking.

I was told that if Edinburgh Rugby get through to the Heineken cup final that would be played at Twickenham the same day. Will be train journey or flight for any Rugger fans going to that as they've no chance of getting buses.

Wembley67
17-04-2012, 10:07 AM
It sounds a bit harsh and it is blatant profiteering but as they said it's purely down to supply and demand, it happens with everything, within reason.

Vini1875
17-04-2012, 10:10 AM
I'd contact the evening news with details, because all sides are going to get ripped off by this.

green&left
17-04-2012, 10:19 AM
Hibeesbounce lads appear to be having similar issues.

*** chancers these companies!

Jim44
17-04-2012, 11:34 AM
If every potential customer called their bluff they would soon change their tune. This supply and demand nonsense is ludicrous. These charlatans have a general going rate for their product and that includes the profit they wish to make. If demand is low, they don't drop their prices. If demand is high they make their required profit and in fact there's a sort of logic in thinking they should drop their prices because they are guaranteed maximum custom. If a company has, say, ten buses and they can only supply these ten buses, it's not as if high demand is putting pressure on them. Overused and cynical term, supply and demand my @rse. Gross profiteering in anyone's books.

mickki40
17-04-2012, 11:39 AM
This is where a unified approach would work. I had the pleasure of seeing how European fans do it. In Sweden the GAIS tell the train company how many trains they want. They then tell the train company they are putting their own bar on it, and including a live band and disco in other carriages. When the fans Hire planes to go to Northern teams the Team have to book onto the plane as well.. It is very organised and they know the value of their cash. Because Hibs don't travel en masse it's always going to be difficult. Personally I would rather thumb a lift then be held to Ransom. Maybe someone should start a thread about car sharing to Hampden. It would cut a lot of buses out. I live in the West so it's easy for me. But when I travel to Home matches We car/van share From the west.

lapsedhibee
17-04-2012, 11:42 AM
I was told that if Edinburgh Rugby get through to the Heineken cup final that would be played at Twickenham the same day. Will be train journey or flight for any Rugger fans going to that as they've no chance of getting buses.

Not to mention all the peeps needing to get to the Champs League final the same day to see the best player in the world play for the Spanish champs.

Argylehibby
17-04-2012, 11:42 AM
I phoned and e mailed a number of companies on Sunday to get prices and on Sunday night had an e mail back from one, (Momentum) with quote of £440 for a 49 seater. Called them on Monday morning and was told that prices had gone up, a 24 seater was now £440 and the 49 seater was £540. Told the guy to get lost, I had a quote of £440 and his response was "as I said prices have gone up, there's a huge demand". I managed to get another one at £450 but I'd hate to be looking for one now.

Jim44
17-04-2012, 11:48 AM
I phoned and e mailed a number of companies on Sunday to get prices and on Sunday night had an e mail back from one, (Momentum) with quote of £440 for a 49 seater. Called them on Monday morning and was told that prices had gone up, a 24 seater was now £440 and the 49 seater was £540. Told the guy to get lost, I had a quote of £440 and his response was "as I said prices have gone up, there's a huge demand". I managed to get another one at £450 but I'd hate to be looking for one now.

......................... so what? How does huge demand affect their prices? Demand is totally immaterial to them. As I said, they can only supply what they've got. It's not costing them a bean. I've changed my mind, it's not gross profiteering, it's grand larceny. :greengrin

jgl07
17-04-2012, 12:26 PM
......................... so what? How does huge demand affect their prices? Demand is totally immaterial to them. As I said, they can only supply what they've got. It's not costing them a bean. I've changed my mind, it's not gross profiteering, it's grand larceny. :greengrin

It's supply and demand. If there are loads of people looking to hire a coach the prices will go up. If there are no takers the price will go down. You can moan all you want, nothing will change the laws of economics.

It was the same with Celtc muppets who were booking air flights to Seville when they reached the Uefa Cup against Porto. The day before Celtc qualified the prices were low, the day after the fares were double or tripled. They were moaning to the press. They clearly had no clue as to how the likes of Ryanair operate. The coach firms are clearly pricing in the same way.

There is a simple answer. Go and tell them to stuff it.

Go further afield and call their bluff.

TamHibs
17-04-2012, 12:39 PM
We got a 74 seater with a toilet for £550. Thought that was pretty reasonable

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?fxvugg

blackpoolhibs
17-04-2012, 12:53 PM
Its not great news but when we owned a hotel, prices soared for the busy times. Its supply and demand, and a great way to make extra bunce for the back pocket. :wink:

God Petrie
17-04-2012, 12:56 PM
It's not supply and demand it's price elasticity.

Economics on hibs.net...

one day maybe...
17-04-2012, 12:57 PM
The railway companies whether it be east coast or any other should get their thinking caps on quickly here, say £10/15 return. Designated trains with departure/arrival stations running from 11.00am until 1.00pm every hour if possible for boths sets of fans, then 5.30pm until 8.00 fo the return. I reckon they wculd make a tidy profit on the day without fleecing fans. As opposed to the than fans being fleeced by bus companies who know the demand will be so vast they can virtually charge what they like. get it sorrted train gadgies.

This would force competition and perhaps drive the prices down when they realise that folks are prepared to go by train. They would also get there quicker and avoid the nightmare that is getting to Hampden by bus or car when its a sellout, joke of a ground to get to.

francobaresi
17-04-2012, 01:01 PM
Maybe we should just start marching down the M8 in our thousands and descend on Glasgow... Pat Fenlon's Green and White Army...

Jack
17-04-2012, 01:07 PM
The City of Edinburgh Council have been quite vocal in jumping on the saltnsauce final.

If they wanted to do something positive they could let out as many buses as they could from their ‘arms length’ bus company fleet?

Saturday service in Edinburgh should mean a fair few busses lying about in the depot with nothing to do.

Anyone got a contact?

Jim44
17-04-2012, 01:08 PM

Economics on hibs.net...

I like it, Dryan. They're still greedy, profiteering barstewards in my book tho' and they'll not be getting a penny of mine,:I'm waiti fortunately. :greengrin

Hibby Bairn
17-04-2012, 01:11 PM
We got a 74 seater with a toilet for £550. Thought that was pretty reasonable

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?fxvugg

Well done. Now just charge £15 a head (supply and demand) and make yourself £560. :greengrin

Oh and charge £1 for each toilet visit and that will take you up above £600 profit. Gotta love the free market. :aok:

jgl07
17-04-2012, 01:31 PM
The railway companies whether it be east coast or any other should get their thinking caps on quickly here, say £10/15 return. Designated trains with departure/arrival stations running from 11.00am until 1.00pm every hour if possible for boths sets of fans, then 5.30pm until 8.00 fo the return. I reckon they wculd make a tidy profit on the day without fleecing fans. As opposed to the than fans being fleeced by bus companies who know the demand will be so vast they can virtually charge what they like. get it sorrted train gadgies.

This would force competition and perhaps drive the prices down when they realise that folks are prepared to go by train. They would also get there quicker and avoid the nightmare that is getting to Hampden by bus or car when its a sellout, joke of a ground to get to.

You can travel on normal rail services to King's Park for around £14 return. You can do it on CityLink coaches for under a tenner. There are four buses (55 seaters) an hour to Glasgow and twelve or thirteen trains an hour.

There is no need for extra trains even assuming that there is capacity on the lines to take them.

one day maybe...
17-04-2012, 02:05 PM
You can travel on normal rail services to King's Park for around £14 return. You can do it on CityLink coaches for under a tenner. There are four buses (55 seaters) an hour to Glasgow and twelve or thirteen trains an hour.

There is no need for extra trains even assuming that there is capacity on the lines to take them.

I was only making assumptions.

I have no idea of the cost of rail travel between Edinburgh and Glasgow. What I was trying to establish with the post was the assumption that if they wanted to surley the rail companies could compete with the bus companies. Now as regards to the scheduling of trains or even if there is a window of opportunity on that day I have no idea. Perhaps there is, perhaps there is not, but if they can make money out of this for then I am sure any rail company that can will. If I lived in Edinburgh I would prefer to travel through by train, its much quicker and no traffic jams. Plus you can legally drink on trains in Scotland, the governmant as far as I can recollect have not banned it yet. As for alcohol on buses that is a complete no no and could lead to the driver being prosecuted.

Baker9
17-04-2012, 02:10 PM

Economics on hibs.net...

Which is influenced by demand? Proximate cause appears to be demand, and price elasticity is just a way for ecomomists to complicate it and confuse us.

Pete
17-04-2012, 02:10 PM
The City of Edinburgh Council have been quite vocal in jumping on the saltnsauce final.

If they wanted to do something positive they could let out as many buses as they could from their ‘arms length’ bus company fleet?

Saturday service in Edinburgh should mean a fair few busses lying about in the depot with nothing to do.

Anyone got a contact?

They ran free buses for hearts fans in 1996 when they were in the league cup final.

No doubt they'd plead poverty this time.

jgl07
17-04-2012, 02:42 PM
They ran free buses for hearts fans in 1996 when they were in the league cup final.

Are you sure? I do not recall any such thing.

There would have been a fuss about it at the time if true.

Gmack7
17-04-2012, 03:56 PM
Any1 tried em Horsburgh or festival travel two smaller bus companies I have driven for.

booked 1 from em horsburgh today

PatHead
17-04-2012, 04:20 PM
Booked a self drive minibus from the same company as the semi. They gave same price. Now anyone got 14 spare tickets?

Lmc2105
17-04-2012, 04:26 PM
running a supporters club and trying to books buses for this final has been very fustrating to say the least! ... The prices are Rediculous!

Hope the final is played at Hampden and all the bus company's lose out for being so greedy!
(Don't really want it at Murrayfield) just for this reason above!!!:devil::devil:

Bobo
17-04-2012, 05:37 PM
Surprised that Scot Rail haven't tried to cash in on this by putting on football specials trains.

Hibs supporters could get trains from Waverley and the Yams from Haymarket so as to keep the fans apart. Central and Queens Street could be used at the other end with transfers to Mount Florida and Kings Park respectively again keeping supporters apart?

It would stick it right up the greedy bus companies .... *******s!!

O'Rourke3
17-04-2012, 06:14 PM
Not surprised the coach companies have raised their prices. Question for the OP, you've hired fairly regulary always with the same company? Because no longer giving them custom over a number of years might get you some discount. This final is a one off probably, however the needs of Hibs fans getting to away games in the future is also demand and others will be there to supply it......:cb

Danderhall Hibs
17-04-2012, 07:36 PM
Not surprised the coach companies have raised their prices. Question for the OP, you've hired fairly regulary always with the same company? Because no longer giving them custom over a number of years might get you some discount. This final is a one off probably, however the needs of Hibs fans getting to away games in the future is also demand and others will be there to supply it......:cb

:agree: You'd think if you were a regular customer they'd quote you a fair price. Definitely stop any future business with them.

DC_Hibs
18-04-2012, 12:45 PM
The Evening News are looking at this today apparently and the thread has been brought to their attention.

Anyone wanting to give examples.........

Cup final correspondent - david.mccann@edinburghnews.com

linlithgowhibbie
18-04-2012, 01:19 PM

I am using my regular company but was trying to get additional coches/mini buses to supply our clubs demand. My usual company doesnt have any more thats why I had been phoning round.:confused::pfgwa

Jones28
18-04-2012, 01:48 PM
23 seater at £16 a head, never done buses before so is this reasonable?

Squealing pig
18-04-2012, 02:04 PM
booked 1 from em horsburgh today

What's the price for it coach or double decker?

JimBHibees
18-04-2012, 02:06 PM
Surprised that Scot Rail haven't tried to cash in on this by putting on football specials trains.

Hibs supporters could get trains from Waverley and the Yams from Haymarket so as to keep the fans apart. Central and Queens Street could be used at the other end with transfers to Mount Florida and Kings Park respectively again keeping supporters apart?

I read online they are going to be putting train specials just like they did for the 2006 game. Also mentioned segregating fans on different trains e.g Hearts on at Haymarket, Hibs at Waverley and also that no drink would be allowed on trains.

Lofarl
18-04-2012, 02:17 PM
What you should perhaps mention to these companies that you have dealt with before. Politely remind them that you have hired many busses from this company before. And long after the cup final when we are needing busses to drive us to away games, you will remember what company hiked up their prices. If they have any sense they will look at the long term.

This might work if you are a regular bus hirer for a supporters club. If you are trying to hire one as a one off you are goosed.

MB62
18-04-2012, 02:35 PM

We were just talking about exactly that same thing. I'm sure it has been done in the past and see no reason why it can't be done again.
This is a very obvious option and can't believe the train company has not thought about it, big profits to be made too shirley.

MB62
18-04-2012, 02:42 PM
I read online they are going to be putting train specials just like they did for the 2006 game. Also mentioned segregating fans on different trains e.g Hearts on at Haymarket, Hibs at Waverley and also that no drink would be allowed on trains.

could you post a link to that story please Jim.

DavidMcCann
18-04-2012, 02:55 PM
Can we have a quick chat, anonymous if you want, 0131 620 8763 David McCann

jgl07
18-04-2012, 02:57 PM

If they think I am going to trek into Waverley they can p*ss off.

I will travel via Haymarket as I always do.

JimBHibees
18-04-2012, 03:03 PM
could you post a link to that story please Jim.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/scottish-news/top-stories/scottish-cup-final-10-000-hearts-and-hibs-fans-face-drink-ban-1-2239852?

Here is one of the articles.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/2012/04/17/hearts-and-hibs-fans-to-be-segregated-for-big-trip-to-glasgow-for-scottish-cup-final-86908-23827361/

Gmack7
18-04-2012, 04:43 PM
What's the price for it coach or double decker?

tbc depending on where we go for a shandy before the game,its a 82 seat double decker

SunnyLeither
18-04-2012, 07:18 PM
Hunters of Loanhead, charging me exactly the same price for 2 Final buses as they charged me for the semi, hats off to them.

Pete
18-04-2012, 07:44 PM
Are you sure? I do not recall any such thing.

There would have been a fuss about it at the time if true.

Pretty sure they were free. Loads of double deckers leaving haymarket for parkhead.

Squealing pig
19-04-2012, 08:39 PM
tbc depending on where we go for a shandy before the game,its a 82 seat double decker

I'd go for the coach, double decides abit dated ex Lothian buses was driving them for schools, couldn't imagine going to hampden in 1 trust me mate

Gmack7
19-04-2012, 09:12 PM
I'd go for the coach, double decides abit dated ex Lothian buses was driving them for schools, couldn't imagine going to hampden in 1 trust me mate

to late,sounds like we might have to go on friday,do you think they will allow us some soft:wink: drinks on the bus to relax,

linlithgowhibbie
20-04-2012, 09:33 AM
Theres to be an article in todays Evening News about the various problems we have had about coach hire:pfgwa:pfgwa

Scouse Hibee
20-04-2012, 02:36 PM
If you have it in a bag(not obviously) a bus driver can't check bags so that's how you get round it just sit upstairs there is no CCTV just be careful driver doesn't c you cause chances are he will phone police, it's his licence at stake. Ggtth

He can ask you to open your bag and show him the contents though, and then turn you away if you refuse.