PDA

View Full Version : Lewis Stevenson contract

scoopyboy
16-04-2012, 07:37 PM
Anyone heard anything about Lewis getting a new contract?

3pm
16-04-2012, 07:40 PM
No but I am really pleased there is a thread that isn't about the cup final!

CallumLaidlaw
16-04-2012, 07:41 PM
I take it you have scoop?

JIm
16-04-2012, 07:48 PM
Heard he has signed a new two year deal. Nothing to back that up though.

HibbyAndy
16-04-2012, 07:51 PM
Lewis is close to agreeing a new 2 year deal.

Westie1875
16-04-2012, 07:55 PM

Good, McPake, O'Connor and Griffiths next please :greengrin :wink:

HibbyAndy
16-04-2012, 08:02 PM
Good, McPake, O'Connor and Griffiths next please :greengrin :wink:

Big time L:agree:

Captain fantastic would get a 10 year deal if i had my way..Watched a re-run of the semi and the man was just everywhere winning headers left right and centre and throwing his body in where you really shouldnt.

hibee_girl
16-04-2012, 08:09 PM

Excellent news, he thoroughly deserves it :agree:

scoopyboy
16-04-2012, 09:21 PM

I heard from two sources he had signed it but not seen it anywhere.

One of them told me about Callum Booth getting a 4 and a half year deal ages before Hibs announced it so I would imagine its right.

Dinkydoo
16-04-2012, 09:25 PM
Great if true.

Sure I read at the beginning of the season that Lewis was giving it I've more season to make it here before moving on; I'm really pleased that he appears to have turned his career around.

.Sean.
16-04-2012, 10:07 PM
I heard from two sources he had signed it but not seen it anywhere.

One of them told me about Callum Booth getting a 4 and a half year deal ages before Hibs announced it so I would imagine its right.

:wink:

Fat Penlon
16-04-2012, 10:18 PM
Excellent news, he thoroughly deserves it :agree:

Tin hat on here but i dont agree. Yes lewis has been 1 of the best players since fenlon came in however we are a team that is still second from bottom and have lost many games in that period. It's only my opinion of which i think we are all entitled to our own. If we have any hope of becoming a team that can finish 3rd (or 2nd depending on rangers situation) we will need far better players than lewis stevenson in our midfield.

Deano_70
16-04-2012, 10:23 PM
Tin hat on here but i dont agree. Yes lewis has been 1 of the best players since fenlon came in however we are a team that is still second from bottom and have lost many games in that period. It's only my opinion of which i think we are all entitled to our own. If we have any hope of becoming a team that can finish 3rd (or 2nd depending on rangers situation) we will need far better players than lewis stevenson in our midfield.

Couldn't agree more. I think he has done well in what is a bad team, going forward he is not what I see as a midfielder that will carry us on to bigger and better things.

Credit were it is due he has done well but next season I expect us to be a bigger and more powerful outfit.

The Voice Of Reason
16-04-2012, 10:24 PM

I agree with you :agree:

Twa Cairpets
16-04-2012, 10:25 PM

Seems you have the same insight into football as the person you've named yourself after.

hibee_nation
16-04-2012, 10:31 PM

Would someone care to explain to me how come it's generally agreed he has been one of our best players but still not good enough. One thing is for sure, we will be hoping on the 19th of May our players give their absolute all, blood sweat and tears for the cause. Lewis without doubt will give us that. :scarf:

CallumLaidlaw
16-04-2012, 10:41 PM
Surely if he's been our best player yet we're still 2nd bottom, them there's at least 10 other players that would get replaced before him. With Lewis's work ethic, tackling and passing ability (rarely misplaces a pass), stick a couple more creative players alongside him and Ozzy and we would have a good midfield. IMO of course

Scouse Hibee
16-04-2012, 10:45 PM
Well done to Lewis if he has been given a two year contract, he has done what has been asked of him this season and you can ask no more than that. A valuable player to have in your squad no doubt about it.

Deano_70
16-04-2012, 11:07 PM
I hate to put a negative spin after such a positive weekend but come on here!!

Best player?? Am I missing somthing here! How many goals and assists has our 'BEST PLAYER'' chipped in with this season? I really do hate being negative but some people need to open there eyes. Maybe someone can let me know what he (with the exception of getting stuck in) has actually offered this season?

From what I have seen, he is too light weight, wins nothing in the air and always plays the simple sideways pass. Hence the 1 goal in over 120 matches for the club. I don't mind him but if we are ever to consider ourselves a force in Scottish football we as supporters need to raise our expectations otherwise next season we will all be spouting the same old hard luck story.

I would like to add, I don't mind him as he wears his heart on his sleeve but for me he ain't gonna get us into the top 6. For those who think he will open your eyes.

cam75
16-04-2012, 11:39 PM
Im sure the last game he played in a final he played nae to Bad,New deAl with a higher goal Bonus might help him stay on the Training ground a couple hours a week extra ?

MWHIBBIES
16-04-2012, 11:48 PM

Best player?? Am I missing somthing here! How many goals and assists has our 'BEST PLAYER'' chipped in with this season? I really do hate being negative but some people need to open there eyes. Maybe someone can let me know what he (with the exception of getting stuck in) has actually offered this season?

From what I have seen, he is too light weight, wins nothing in the air and always plays the simple sideways pass. Hence the 1 goal in over 120 matches for the club. I don't mind him but if we are ever to consider ourselves a force in Scottish football we as supporters need to raise our expectations otherwise next season we will all be spouting the same old hard luck story.

I would like to add, I don't mind him as he wears his heart on his sleeve but for me he ain't gonna get us into the top 6. For those who think he will open your eyes.
Claude Makelele rarely got any goals or assists, he must have been pish as well by your logic

Deano_70
17-04-2012, 12:02 AM
Claude Makelele rarely got any goals or assists, he must have been pish as well by your logic

By my logic?? Go back to bed!!

Lewis Stevenson has scored 1 goal in over 120 matches for Hibs, Claude goal ratio was 1in every 33 club matches. He could pass a ball 40 yards, won a world cup, won a European championship and also a couple of English premier leagues. He was composed on the ball and also a phenomenaly hard tackler. As I said I like Lewis Stevenson but comparing him with makalele is like comparing a fish supper with caviar.

We are a team that needs to improve!

MWHIBBIES
17-04-2012, 02:27 AM
By my logic?? Go back to bed!!

Lewis Stevenson has scored 1 goal in over 120 matches for Hibs, Claude goal ratio was 1in every 33 club matches. He could pass a ball 40 yards, won a world cup, won a European championship and also a couple of English premier leagues. He was composed on the ball and also a phenomenaly hard tackler. As I said I like Lewis Stevenson but comparing him with makalele is like comparing a fish supper with caviar.

We are a team that needs to improve!I wasn't comparing them at all, obviously :rolleyes:

Judging a ball winning mid on his goals is just stupid though, you think playing like Roy Keane, Vieira and Makelele were judged on their goals? No, they were judged on what they did for the team, breaking up attacks and making simple easy passes to the more creative players around them to go forward, covering positions when others go forward, helping out the defence, things which I think Lewis has done very well for Hibs this season meriting his POTY award.

No matter what you think of the guy we would be in a lot more trouble without him in our midfield this season, especially if we still had mince like Palsson and Thornhill in there.

Deano_70
17-04-2012, 02:54 AM
I ain't disagreeing with what your saying. All I'm saying is going forward we as a club need to raise the bar. Lewis Stevenson is a decent player he is not a top six player. I think Stevie wonder would have won player of the year for us this year had he been signed by us.

Going forward I don't think (my opinion) that Lewis Stevenson is a top six quality player. He has been one of the better of a very bad bunch. Can I remind u that we have won 6 games from 33 this year, something as a die in the wool Hibs fan I never want to see again. We need a Matty Jack or Pat Mcginlay type player in the role Stevenson. Players that win balls in the air, can knock a pass 20-30 yards and who will also chip in with half a dozen goals a season. Next season is a massive opportunity for us. Hearts and Rangers ain't going to be the only ones trying to balance the sheets next year. Other clubs will be fighting get ye books balanced, ours are. It's time the board took a calculated gamble and tried to put a team on the pitch that will bring back the crowds.

Peevemor
17-04-2012, 05:37 AM
I ain't disagreeing with what your saying. All I'm saying is going forward we as a club need to raise the bar. Lewis Stevenson is a decent player he is not a top six player. I think Stevie wonder would have won player of the year for us this year had he been signed by us.

Going forward I don't think (my opinion) that Lewis Stevenson is a top six quality player. He has been one of the better of a very bad bunch. Can I remind u that we have won 6 games from 33 this year, something as a die in the wool Hibs fan I never want to see again. We need a Matty Jack or Pat Mcginlay type player in the role Stevenson. Players that win balls in the air, can knock a pass 20-30 yards and who will also chip in with half a dozen goals a season. Next season is a massive opportunity for us. Hearts and Rangers ain't going to be the only ones trying to balance the sheets next year. Other clubs will be fighting get ye books balanced, ours are. It's time the board took a calculated gamble and tried to put a team on the pitch that will bring back the crowds.

Matty Jack scored 3 league goals in as many seasons.

cockneymike
17-04-2012, 05:50 AM

I think you're right that for Hibs to be the top 3 team we want Lewis may not be the first name on the team sheet, but as said above, he's been better than most of the rest of the squad this season. However as we need about 7 or 8 new players to really be at the level we want to be then Lewis is definitely one of the few that were at the club at the start of this season, who I'd want at the start of next.

Also as to the Matty Jack and Pat McGinlay comparison - these guys were very different players to each other so a very weird comparison to my mind. Pat the box to box player that timed his runs and scored goals, Matty the destroyer that run around kicking and chasing. Neither were the 20-30 yard passing ball players you suggest.

TornadoHibby
17-04-2012, 06:27 AM

LTYF :rolleyes:

Weir7
17-04-2012, 06:31 AM

Jack didn't score goals. And wasn't a great passer. Lewis has a functional role. His talents need supplemented with a Deano type player.

The players you want aint going to be signed by Hibs

Broken Gnome
17-04-2012, 08:30 AM
Whether you rate him or not, he's gone from being lucky to get his last contract to being very deserving of a new one. Certainly doesn't deserve to lose his job at Hibs after the personal improvements he's made.

hibsbollah
17-04-2012, 08:35 AM
Well done Lewis. The most improved player at Hibs since? Central midfield is the area I worry most about in the final and he and Ozzie will need to be on their game.

Peevemor
17-04-2012, 08:36 AM
Whether you rate him or not, he's gone from being lucky to get his last contract to being very deserving of a new one. Certainly doesn't deserve to lose his job at Hibs after the personal improvements he's made.

:agree:

Saorsa
17-04-2012, 08:52 AM
If Lewis gets a new contract it'll be because PF thinks he deserves one and that'll get nae argument from me because there isnae an argument against it at the moment IMO. Maybe eventually better will come in and Lewis will be used as more of a squad player but at this time he's in there on merit IMO and deserves his new contract if it happens.

Malthibby
17-04-2012, 08:54 AM
If Lewis gets a new contract it'll be because PF thinks he deserves one and that'll get nae argument from me because there isnae an argument against it at the moment IMO. Maybe eventually better will come in and Lewis will be used as more of a squad player but at this time he's in there on merit IMO and deserves his new contract if it happens.

And a wee repeat of his last cup final appearance will do nicely.
GG

--------
17-04-2012, 09:08 AM

Stevie Wonder might well have made POTY, but he'd have got pelters from the net all through Ramadan. Funny diet, missing training, why do we sign these guys when their culture's so different from our own? You know? Remember the stuff Benji and Zouma got? Also, if you'll pardon me saying it, he rather lacks all-round vision? (OK - I'm a bad man. I know - you don't have to tell me.)

Second, if you can suggest a Matty Jack or a Pat McGinlay now playing and available to be signed for less than seven figures, I'm sure PF will be delighted to hear from you. I'm sure he's looking for them even now.

While you're about it you can nominate a Joe Baker type of player (we need one of those), a Russell Latapy type of player (ditto) a John Blackley type of player and an Andy Goram type of goalkeeper we can sign for peanuts - we need all of those but guess what? We aren't going to get them unless we get very very lucky indeed.

Personally, I won't be satisfied that Fenlon's really doing his job until he signs a Smith-Johnstone-Reilly-Turnbull-Ormond forward line - we need one of those too.

Small steps, mate, small steps. It's an improvement that someone actually wants to extend his contract with us - for the last couple of years most of our players couldn't wait to get the Hibs shirt off their backs.

southfieldhibby
17-04-2012, 09:09 AM
As I said I like Lewis Stevenson but comparing him with makalele is like comparing a fish supper with caviar.

Just to clarify, who's the caviar and who's the fish supper?I really, really like the occasional fish supper (esp with salt n sauce, freshly cooked from the tail end,please) Caviar, however is bowfin.No matter how many times I have it, I just dinnae like it, it's over-rated posh nosh.

I hope LS is the chippy.Well done Lewis, richly deserved if true.

--------
17-04-2012, 09:12 AM
Just to clarify, who's the caviar and who's the fish supper?I really, really like the occasional fish supper (esp with salt n sauce, freshly cooked from the tail end,please) Caviar, however is bowfin.No matter how many times I have it, I just dinnae like it, it's over-rated posh nosh.

I hope LS is the chippy.Well done Lewis, richly deserved if true.

:agree: I've only eaten caviar once. It tased of soap. MUCH rather have a fish supper. :flag:

Craig_in_Prague
17-04-2012, 09:13 AM
Chippy Tea on 18th May :-)))

Weir7
17-04-2012, 10:45 AM
Well done Lewis. The most improved player at Hibs since? Central midfield is the area I worry most about in the final and he and Ozzie will need to be on their game.

The worry is, Fenlon has the midfield sitting so deep we give average players time and space to play

seven nowt
17-04-2012, 11:47 AM

I agree. I think Saturday typified just how much a winning side doesn't need Stevenson. The reason people think he stood out is because the rest of the team were poor, but since Stevenson tried his best the Hibs supporters showed their appreciation - which is fair enough. But that doesn't atone for how poor his performances were for years before his efforts in the last 4 or 5 months!

Since the signings, Stevenson has been anonymous in my opinion. And you look across the midfield - Osbourne, Claros, Soares. These players contribute more in matches and can do a better job than Stevenson in most attributes of a midfielder. Osbourne for example, looks more dangerous, harder in the tackle, better positional awareness and can read the game better.

However, us Hibs fans do rightly appreciate a hardworker, therefore Stevenson would be in my team, but if his contract was not renewed, I can't say I'd be too disappointed. We can win with/without Stevenson and I think Hibs supporters will realise this when he sits out a few matches and we play better without him!

scoopyboy
17-04-2012, 11:50 AM

And a wee repeat of his last cup final appearance will do nicely.
GG

A wee repeat of the scoreline of his last cup final appearance would be equally as nice.

matty_f
17-04-2012, 11:55 AM

Spot on, and who's to say that he won't continue to improve?

Well deserved from Lewis, and from someone who thought that he should have gone last year, I'm happy to eat humble pie and am delighted that he's staying on with us.

Shrekko
17-04-2012, 12:14 PM
He deserves his new contract- no argument, and at present he deserves his place in the team. Other arguments regarding the future are dependent on a whole range of things, but you can't not offer the guy a new contract because you hope he won't be good enough for the team in 2 years time! He's a steady player who probably won't earn a fortune so it's a no brainer either way for me.

But...... I bet even Lewis must be getting embarrassed by the amount of times the MOTM v Killie gets mentioned. He played well that day (not the best player on the park mind you) but I bet he wishes he was remembered for something other than a game played 5 years ago!! Even when he won POTY it was one of the first thing the interviewer on hibs tv made reference to.

cam75
17-04-2012, 01:41 PM
Stevie Wonder might well have made POTY, but he'd have got pelters from the net all through Ramadan. Funny diet, missing training, why do we sign these guys when their culture's so different from our own? You know? Remember the stuff Benji and Zouma got? Also, if you'll pardon me saying it, he rather lacks all-round vision? (OK - I'm a bad man. I know - you don't have to tell me.)

Second, if you can suggest a Matty Jack or a Pat McGinlay now playing and available to be signed for less than seven figures, I'm sure PF will be delighted to hear from you. I'm sure he's looking for them even now.

While you're about it you can nominate a Joe Baker type of player (we need one of those), a Russell Latapy type of player (ditto) a John Blackley type of player and an Andy Goram type of goalkeeper we can sign for peanuts - we need all of those but guess what? We aren't going to get them unless we get very very lucky indeed.

Personally, I won't be satisfied that Fenlon's really doing his job until he signs a Smith-Johnstone-Reilly-Turnbull-Ormond forward line - we need one of those too.

Small steps, mate, small steps. It's an improvement that someone actually wants to extend his contract with us - for the last couple of years most of our players couldn't wait to get the Hibs shirt off their backs.
All off the above-mentioned

Baker9
17-04-2012, 02:23 PM
When he first came into the team I thought he was Alex Cropley mark 2. I lost faith in him and didn't really care if he stayed or not. He is a player that needs confidence and needs boosted by management. He is getting that now and in flashes he is begining to do Cropleyesque stuff. I am pleased if he has signed and I would much prefer him in the final line-up than not. He has starred in one winning final already remember.

NORTHERNHIBBY
17-04-2012, 02:54 PM
See if we get this bigger and better midfield next year? Well if we do, and they are all better and more committed than Lewis then that will be great. But if that is the rationale for shifting LS, we will start next pre-season with a lot of empty strips needing filled.

hibsbollah
17-04-2012, 03:29 PM
The worry is, Fenlon has the midfield sitting so deep we give average players time and space to play

Black needs a wee sly studs-right-down-on-the-big-toe early doors. I bet Jorges good at that. Or bring back Murray for the final.for another nice forearm smash across the jawbone.

No pretty football thanks-this is the biggest game ever.

Jonnyboy
17-04-2012, 07:23 PM

Sergio Busquets anyone?

Jonnyboy
17-04-2012, 07:30 PM
He deserves his new contract- no argument, and at present he deserves his place in the team. Other arguments regarding the future are dependent on a whole range of things, but you can't not offer the guy a new contract because you hope he won't be good enough for the team in 2 years time! He's a steady player who probably won't earn a fortune so it's a no brainer either way for me.

But...... I bet even Lewis must be getting embarrassed by the amount of times the MOTM v Killie gets mentioned. He played well that day (not the best player on the park mind you) but I bet he wishes he was remembered for something other than a game played 5 years ago!! Even when he won POTY it was one of the first thing the interviewer on hibs tv made reference to.

Can't really argue with any of the Shrekko. I'm a fan of Lewis and often defend him when he's getting a hard time on here but I want better for Hibs in the future as do all I suppose. He's what we have now and he's performing well so I don't think he deserves much of the flak he seems to get.

At the end of the day it matters not whether anyone on this thread likes the lad or thinks he's good enough. PF picks the team and it must mean something that suspension aside Lewis has been an ever present

bingo70
17-04-2012, 07:30 PM
I agree with a lot of the posts criticising Lewis, said many times that I'm not a fan of his.

All that said though we've got enough of a squad overhaul going on this summer and for his effort alone this season he deserves a new contract.

I hope though fenlon has got better players in mind and they continue to push Stevenson further and he continues to improve and hopefully starts to offer a goal threat like box to box midfielders should.

hibee_girl
20-04-2012, 01:50 PM
http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20120420/stevenson-extends-stay_2262950_2741937

Great news :thumbsup:

calmacuk
20-04-2012, 01:51 PM
One year extension signed to take him up to summer 2013:

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20120420/stevenson-extends-stay_2262950_2741937

Saorsa
20-04-2012, 01:51 PM
Now official

well done Lewis

Bob Box Fish
20-04-2012, 01:53 PM
A year is the right length for him.

Better this season but limited in many ways.

Hopefully when we win the cup we will be able to finance a better standard of player.

nycHIBEE
20-04-2012, 01:55 PM
good on ye lewis :thumbsup:

MountcastleHibs
20-04-2012, 02:22 PM
Signed a new deal until 2013. Well deserved!

MountcastleHibs
20-04-2012, 02:28 PM
May as well delete admins. Didn't see the other threads.

GreenCastle
20-04-2012, 02:32 PM
New deal :thumbsup:

Good hard working member of the squad - hopefully he will keep improving :agree:

NYHibby
20-04-2012, 02:40 PM
Not to be anal, but the announcement implies he did not sign a new deal. It sounds like the contract he signed last year had an option for an additional year that was activated after Lewis made so many appearances this year.

good on ye lewis :thumbsup:

New deal :thumbsup:

Good hard working member of the squad - hopefully he will keep improving :agree:

Do I make it a hat trick of posters with basically the same name?

Seveno
20-04-2012, 03:04 PM
Great news and well deserved, Lewis. Hopefully, once our SPL situation is resolved, it will be converted into a 2/3 year deal.

Mikeystewart
20-04-2012, 03:06 PM
Would someone care to explain to me how come it's generally agreed he has been one of our best players but still not good enough. One thing is for sure, we will be hoping on the 19th of May our players give their absolute all, blood sweat and tears for the cause. Lewis without doubt will give us that. :scarf:

1.Because he has been one of our best players. But if the club has aspirations for 3rd - 4th in the league then another leap in improvement is required. IMO.

2. A lot of people seem to consider fitness, effort and professionalism to be desirable traits, at this level they should be a bare requirement.

3. If Hibs gave me a contract I would treat my body as a temple and close players down until my legs fell off, but that wouldn't be enough to make up for my shocking first touch and left foot!

hibsbollah
20-04-2012, 03:18 PM
If he continues his rate of improvement, theres no reason at all why he couldnt be part of a Hibs side challenging for third place. Fenlon has found his best position in front of the back four.

JohnStephens91
20-04-2012, 03:22 PM
Good news, a solid midfielder who always gives his all for the team. Only criticism is lack of goals, but that shouldn't be a major concern of his as he seems to be good enough at breaking up the play and playing the simple, yet effective, passes on a regular basis.

Spike Mandela
20-04-2012, 06:20 PM
Happy enough that Lewis gets a contract but I am hopful with increased season ticket money Hibs might sign better midfield players in the summer and perhaps relegate Lewis back to being merely a useful squad player.

Winston Ingram
20-04-2012, 07:00 PM
Deserves more than a year. Great news that we have him for next season:agree:

Eyrie
20-04-2012, 07:31 PM
He's earned it.

If we can bring in better then we'll all be delighted, but until then he's a solid and reliable player who's well worth his jersey.

Winston Ingram
20-04-2012, 08:43 PM
idon't get this theory that people just think he he's a hard worker. He does work hard, reads the game well and rarely misplaces a pass:confused:

PeterboroHibee
20-04-2012, 08:46 PM
Pleased for him, but the one year extension is a bit of a weird one. I suppose it gives the club a chance to see how he progresses until next year, but he has been a mainstay in the side this season, playing quite well, would have been better if it was slightly longer. We need consistancy and guys who have played at this level, which he brings, and he actually seems to care about the club!

bingo70
20-04-2012, 08:48 PM
idon't get this theory that people just think he he's a hard worker. He does work hard, reads the game well and rarely misplaces a pass:confused:

He's been a main stay of an awful midfield.

I'm pleased for him getting a new contract, he deserves it but the thing that's annoyed me is people making him out to be better than he is.

As I said I think his hard work has merited a new contract but I hope fenlon is looking for better in the summer.

Winston Ingram
20-04-2012, 10:05 PM
Pleased for him, but the one year extension is a bit of a weird one. I suppose it gives the club a chance to see how he progresses until next year, but he has been a mainstay in the side this season, playing quite well, would have been better if it was slightly longer. We need consistancy and guys who have played at this level, which he brings, and he actually seems to care about the club!

From reading the official statement it sounds like he's signed anythng. It was activated by appearances

Scouse Hibee
20-04-2012, 10:16 PM
From reading the official statement it sounds like he's signed anythng. It was activated by appearances

:agree: That's right, the extension was activated by him attaining a specified amount of appearances.

Another MOM in a final will do fine.

scoopyboy
21-04-2012, 06:42 AM
Great news and well deserved, Lewis. Hopefully, once our SPL situation is resolved, it will be converted into a 2/3 year deal.

As I said earlier in the thread I expected it to be a 2 year deal.

Maybe it is another 1 year with appearances kicking in a second year, just as he had signed last season.

I suppose that way if he falls out of favour then we aren't paying a player up for sitting in the stand, a lot of Hibs deals might be appearance based in the future.

HibeeDaz6270
21-04-2012, 12:06 PM
stevenson has been excellent for us this season, However we have been very poor. He is a limited player, but his work rate is excellent, which is why he has been our best player. I like him, but i can see why he has only been given a 1 year deal.