PDA

View Full Version : If we win the SC, would it genuinely be the happiest day of your life?

lyonhibs
16-04-2012, 11:03 AM
I'm not married and I've not had any kids, so I can unequivocally say that if we won the SC against anyone, let alone Hearts, it would be the happiest day of my life.

That said, Bill Shankly was way wrong when he said football was more than a matter of life and death, so who else would rate it as their happiest day?

Beefster
16-04-2012, 11:05 AM
I've got a kid and am married so am legally obligated to say that it will only be the third best day of my life.

Benny Brazil
16-04-2012, 11:06 AM
I've got a kid and am married so am legally obligated to say that it will only the third best day of my life.

Me too - but it would be the 2nd best day of my life :greengrin

DaveF
16-04-2012, 11:07 AM
No.

Likewise it won't be the worst should the unthinkable happen.

SkintHibby
16-04-2012, 11:07 AM
I'm not married and I've not had any kids, so I can unequivocally say that if we won the SC against anyone, let alone Hearts, it would be the happiest day of my life.

That said, Bill Shankly was way wrong when he said football was more than a matter of life and death, so who else would rate it as their happiest day?

No.

Once you've got married and seen your children being born then you'll know the answer yourself.:agree:

Hainan Hibs
16-04-2012, 11:08 AM
At the age of 23 if we won life would be complete. I literally could not give a monkeys what I achieve or do after the 19th of May, when that cup comes home the Mayan's may as well be right about the 21st of December:agree:

Hibercelona
16-04-2012, 11:10 AM
I'm 21. I have my whole life to brag about this once we win. :na na:

So yes! It would be the best day of my life.

I'd just need to make sure I never get married and have kids. :wink:

MSK
16-04-2012, 11:11 AM

That said, Bill Shankly was way wrong when he said football was more than a matter of life and death, so who else would rate it as their happiest day?Yes ..cup win over the tramps first ...birth of my two Daughters 2nd ....then my marriage 3rd ...:greengrin

Can say that because my Wife doesnt read :hibees

DH1875
16-04-2012, 11:13 AM
Tried to explain to the Mrs about the whole situation (she doesn't have a clue about football). Let her know that in the event of me struggling to get a ticket £100s would be leaving the bank account as I'm no missing out on the greatest day ever. She wasn't happy at all, especially after bringing up the subject of our wedding day and the birth of our 2 kids.
Women EH? :duck:.

One Day Soon
16-04-2012, 11:18 AM
At the age of 23 if we won life would be complete. I literally could not give a monkeys what I achieve or do after the 19th of May, when that cup comes home the Mayan's may as well be right about the 21st of December:agree:

Steady HH, you've 2014 to think about....

Anyway for me its a top five lifetime event. Wife and kids take places one and two. It is a bit of a 'just shoot me after the 19th if we win it because it is hard to see how life could get any better after that' moment.

Craig_in_Prague
16-04-2012, 11:21 AM
was supposed to take my wife to Barcelona that weekend for our 10th anniversary........totally quashed now and Hampden it is for me.

So it's safe to say, 19th May win, will be happiest day.

I am happy with her every day, but the happiest day will be 19th May and James McPake holding that thing above his head!

One Day Soon
16-04-2012, 11:25 AM
was supposed to take my wife to Barcelona that weekend for our 10th anniversary........totally quashed now and Hampden it is for me.

So it's safe to say, 19th May win, will be happiest day.

I am happy with her every day, but the happiest day will be 19th May and James McPake holding that thing above his head!

I thnk we all agreed on another thread that he's a handsome guy for the girls to drool over. Now you're telling us he's able to hold it all the way over his head too? Better not let the wife know that....

MacBean
16-04-2012, 11:31 AM
at the ripe old age of 23 it would be by far the best day of my life so far

Ryan91
16-04-2012, 11:31 AM
In all my years as a Hibernian fan, and being only 20 years old, I would say that a Win on the 19th would be the most incredible day of my life as a Hibby.

CIS Final 07 currently ranks 1st with the 3-0 horsing of the Huns at Ibrox in the Cup as close 2nd.

Sean1875
16-04-2012, 11:32 AM
In my life so far, yes.

Killiehibbie
16-04-2012, 11:35 AM
I've got a kid and am married so am legally obligated to say that it will only be the third best day of my life.I'm married with 3 children and almost agree with you but not quite. Winning the cup will be THE happiest day of my life:flag:

JE89
16-04-2012, 11:46 AM

Without a shadow of doubt. :agree:

DaveF
16-04-2012, 11:47 AM
Steady HH, you've 2014 to think about....

Anyway for me its a top five lifetime event. Wife and kids take places one and two. It is a bit of a 'just shoot me after the 19th if we win it because it is hard to see how life could get any better after that' moment.

Independence for Scotland maybe? :devil:

--------
16-04-2012, 11:58 AM

No way. Lots of things come before this, like the day my wife said she'd marry me, the day we were married, the day we knew she was pregnant, the day our son was born ...

Shankly was talking tripe - football's a game. Life is life.

One Day Soon
16-04-2012, 12:15 PM
Independence for Scotland maybe? :devil:

That would come some distance after putting the bin out, root canal treatment and possibly a divorce. Oh, wait a minute........ :na na:

Sylar
16-04-2012, 12:35 PM
In all my years as a Hibernian fan, and being only 20 years old, I would say that a Win on the 19th would be the most incredible day of my life as a Hibby.

CIS Final 07 currently ranks 1st with the 3-0 horsing of the Huns at Ibrox in the Cup as close 2nd.

I'm quoting you purely because of your avatar and the following...

It's a no for me and here's why: I grew up in Rhode Island and as such, was born to a life of following the New England Patriots. The early memories were pretty bleak, with us being a very poor team indeed, with the then owners threatening to ship us out to St Louis. We had NEVER won the Superbowl so I had no experience of watching my favourite team in sport being crowned "Champions" (divisional and conference titles aside).

In January of 2002, I got a call from a relative who is a ST holder at Foxborough and had been for nearly 20 years. Despite the fact that the Patriots had secured their place in the Superbowl, my uncle was not well enough to travel down to Louisiana for the game, but had bought tickets before taking ill. February 3rd 2002, I watched the Patriots win the Superbowl in what, to this day, is perhaps the best sporting experience of all time for me and I'm not sure Hibs breaking the jinx could better that.

Having said that, it would be an added bonus to what is already shaping up to be a superb 2012. PhD completion in September, wedding in October - both will be much happier and bigger milestones, but to have all of that happen in the same year? It might certainly be the happiest year of my life, for sure!

LeithBoozy
16-04-2012, 12:39 PM
It would have to be in the top= ONE :greengrin

N.Wales Hibby
16-04-2012, 12:44 PM
No way. Lots of things come before this, like the day my wife said she'd marry me, the day we were married, the day we knew she was pregnant, the day our son was born ...

Agree with that Doddie...There are lots of special days as you mentioned but this one for me will be unique. It will be a special day for me I will be with my boy on my birthday watching my team win the CUP.

iwasthere1972
16-04-2012, 12:47 PM
It would come only second.

The happiest day of my life is the day I loaded my wife's suitcases into the back of a :taxi: and :bye: her good riddance.

Calvin
16-04-2012, 12:53 PM
I always like to try and maintain a realism, perhaps a stoicism when it comes to sports. It's just a game and while I enjoy the camaraderie I don't consider it important.

However, maybe this view has just come of being a Hibs fan over the last few years because when we won on Saturday the elation was back and it reminded me how good it is to be a football fan sometimes. At only 20, with all the major milestones in my life still ahead of me (hopefully) I think that it could be the best day of my life if we win it, as sad as that is.

persevere1875
16-04-2012, 12:55 PM
Have to say I love my wife and kids with all my I have but watching Hibs finally end this run and beat them in the final aswell would undoubtably be the greatest day of my life, might just heal the pain from that semi aswell and the trip back along the M8 that still haunts me, as ive said to my wife before, sorry but Hibs were here first :wink:

JimBHibees
16-04-2012, 12:58 PM

Totally agree, I think it was Arrigo Sacchi that said something like, "Football is the most important of the least important things in life."

He was IMO spot on.

In a football context this would be the best day by far though if we were to win on May 19th.

JohnStephens91
16-04-2012, 01:02 PM
Coming from a long line of Hibs fans and seeing my granddad pass away without Hibs lifting the cup and now my dad has run off to support Liverpool instead of the Hibees it would be the best day of my life. Purely because of the travel I've undertaken to see Hibs play away from home and I do it all alone because of the said circumstances. It would be right up there purely because I know as well how happy it would have made my granddad to see the Cabbage lift the cup.

--------
16-04-2012, 01:12 PM
Agree with that Doddie...There are lots of special days as you mentioned but this one for me will be unique. It will be a special day for me I will be with my boy on my birthday watching my team win the CUP.

Not saying it won't be special - just not as special as a lot of other days. :agree:

BroxburnHibee
16-04-2012, 01:14 PM
No.

Once you've got married and seen your children being born then you'll know the answer yourself.:agree:

:top marks

SteveHFC
16-04-2012, 01:16 PM
I'm 19 and yes it will be the happiest day of my life!.

I have a whole life to look forward too :)

jonty
16-04-2012, 01:25 PM
No.

Likewise it won't be the worst should the unthinkable happen.
You're too old for this thread :greengrin

No.

After that, if you have any disposable income left, a ticket is on the cards for the final :agree:

StevesFamau5
16-04-2012, 01:26 PM
given that the past 18 months have been a veritable mix of debt, family illness, redundancy and watching Hibs.....

oh yes!!!!! :pfgwa:flag:

Hibee87
16-04-2012, 01:44 PM
My Mrs is due our first child a week after the final, it has the potential to be the best day of my/our lives. She loves hibs as much as me, and the thought of mcpake holding the holy grail aloft around 5pm on the 19th and her to turn and say with all the excitment 'ma waters huv just broke' would honestly be the stuff dreams are made of.

angus hibee
16-04-2012, 01:49 PM
I'm looking forward to being one of the privileged supporters who will have seen Hibs win 7-0 at Tynecastle and beat them in a cup final ( hopefully with a last minute disputed but correct penalty )

essexhibee
16-04-2012, 02:11 PM
In my short life yes. In the same way it will be one of the worst shall we.....

HibeeEmma
16-04-2012, 02:13 PM
Without.a.doubt

N.Wales Hibby
16-04-2012, 02:14 PM
Not saying it won't be special - just not as special as a lot of other days. :agree:

Sorry Doddie.I knew what you meant. I may have worded my reply wrongly.:agree:

Hibbyradge
16-04-2012, 04:38 PM
Undoubtedly it would be the happiest day following Hibs.

But that's as far as it goes.

There's a whole lot of more important things to be happy about in life than the fortunes of a group of young men I've never met.

Or there should be.

Northernhibee
16-04-2012, 04:48 PM
Yep. When I was a wee bairn I dreamt of winning the Scottish cup for Hibs by beating Hertz in the final, I won't be able to do it but if Sparky bangs home a winning goal I'll have something in my eye.

:flag:

Scouse Hibee
16-04-2012, 04:54 PM
Happiest day following Hibs without a doubt, in my life never!

HUTCHYHIBBY
16-04-2012, 04:58 PM

Yes, for exactly the same reasons.

Dalianwanda
16-04-2012, 05:04 PM
Hibs winning the Scottish cup and Primavera the following week will make for the best month ever

Eyrie
16-04-2012, 07:05 PM
In sporting terms, yes.

In real life, no.

ShanksSaidNo
16-04-2012, 07:52 PM
Coming from a long line of Hibs fans and seeing my granddad pass away without Hibs lifting the cup and now my dad has run off to support Liverpool instead of the Hibees it would be the best day of my life. Purely because of the travel I've undertaken to see Hibs play away from home and I do it all alone because of the said circumstances. It would be right up there purely because I know as well how happy it would have made my granddad to see the Cabbage lift the cup.

I don't have kids so I am comfortable saying winning on the 19th of May would rank as the happiest day of my life to date, here's why:

The mention of your grandad is one that strikes a chord - I am fortunate that my grandad will reach the ripe old age of 87 this year and he is the reason my family are Hibs fans. He still goes along to every home game often on his own - such is his unwavering commitment to Hibs. He's a man who has lived and breathed the Famous 5, Turnbulls Tornadoes, 7-0, Hands off Hibs, 6-2, the Mowbray era and yet has never seen us lift the Scottish cup. Hibs are in his blood, there's no propaganda in the fact that in a footballing sense he never forgives anyone that has had a connection with Rangers, there's no exhibitionism in his refusal to attend derbies at Tynecastle as it would be giving 'them' money. It's what he believes, his morals if you like. Hibs through and through.

His tears of joy following our cup win in 2007 were poignant, winning on the 19th of May in these circumstances would mean the world.

Scouse Hibee
16-04-2012, 08:26 PM

You do realise that it was a tongue in cheek comment from Shankly! The great man said many things to inspire his players and build the bastion of invincibility that was once Liverpool FC, this was just one of them and anyone that thinks he meant it with sincerity is far wrong!

Teuchter Hibbie
16-04-2012, 09:05 PM
at the age of 18, it would definitely be right up there along with when my wee brothers and sister were born and when i knew for sure i'd got into vet school. sunshine on leith, especially when it's with all the fans, usually puts a tear in my eye after we had it played at my Granddad's funeral a few years ago. :not worth

CallumLaidlaw
16-04-2012, 09:46 PM
I honestly think that the feeling of joy that I would have if we have beat hearts come the final whistle on the 19th May, will be something I have never experienced before. Even for that split second. Marrying my wife on a Caribbean beach was something special, but the overwhelming burst of joy at winning the cup would surely be hard to beat (just don't tell her :wink: )

TamHibs
16-04-2012, 09:51 PM
I honestly think that the feeling of joy that I would have if we have beat hearts come the final whistle on the 19th May, will be something I have never experienced before. Even for that split second. Marrying my wife on a Caribbean beach was something special, but the overwhelming burst of joy at winning the cup would surely be hard to beat (just don't tell her :wink: )

Oh oh oh, I'm telling! I'm telling!

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?u4ctp3

LancashireHibby
16-04-2012, 09:56 PM
It would be top three, no doubt about it. Birth of my son comes in first and Leigh rugby winning promotion to the top flight in 2004 are the current top two with the 2007 CIS win coming very close behind, but a win on the 19th might even have a close shout of pushing for second place unless Leigh fancy a (very) unlikely trip to Wembley in August!

Franck Stanton
16-04-2012, 10:06 PM
Lets get real here, people change their job, house, wife, but never their Club. I have been married for more than 40 yrs, have a daughter, and two grandchildren. Now I love them all dearly and was the proudest man on the planet on the kids births and my wedding day................................ however..........should we win the S/Cup on 19th May. then WITHOUT DOUBT it will be THE GREATEST DAY OF MY LIFE. Would die a happy man on 20th May content in the knowledge that I WAS THERE.

1875godsgift
16-04-2012, 10:31 PM
My Mrs is due our first child a week after the final, it has the potential to be the best day of my/our lives. She loves hibs as much as me, and the thought of mcpake holding the holy grail aloft around 5pm on the 19th and her to turn and say with all the excitment 'ma waters huv just broke' would honestly be the stuff dreams are made of.

Brilliant! You'd have to name the wee one after the name of the scorer of the winner though!

In the name of the Father, and the of the Son, and the Holy Spirit, I name you Own Goal :greengrin

( sounds a bit Welsh, tbh )

CallumLaidlaw
16-04-2012, 10:35 PM
Oh oh oh, I'm telling! I'm telling!

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?u4ctp3

:faf: beat it you :na na:

London Hibs FC
16-04-2012, 11:05 PM

Best Birthday ever Dad!!

The Harp
17-04-2012, 06:28 AM

Yeah, my take on this too. Mind you, having my son and daughter on either side of me at Hampden, with Sunshine on Leith ringing out around the stadium, when we won the League Cup will live with me 'til the end of my days (even though I couldn't control the tears :rolleyes:).
My other concern is - if we win, just how do we do the occasion justice, in terms of celebration, considering the 110 year wait and the generations of Hibees who've gone to their maker without seeing it?:dunno:

LancashireHibby
17-04-2012, 11:41 AM
Brilliant! You'd have to name the wee one after the name of the scorer of the winner though!

In the name of the Father, and the of the Son, and the Holy Spirit, I name you Own Goal :greengrin

( sounds a bit Welsh, tbh )

Plus I'm sure Rudi can be used as a boy's or girl's name :duck:

CRAZYHIBBY
17-04-2012, 01:52 PM
Yep. When I was a wee bairn I dreamt of winning the Scottish cup for Hibs by beating Hertz in the final, I won't be able to do it but if Sparky bangs home a winning goal I'll have something in my eye.

:flag:

Probably a finger from the guy standing next to you

ekhibee
17-04-2012, 08:15 PM
To say it would be the happiest day of my life is not really true, but more than likely it would be right up there. The truth is, I, and I imagine a lot of other Hibs fans as well, have often bought into the 'we can really do it' kind of thing so many times before, that knowing what kind of emotion you are going to feel if you actually win it is pretty hard to predict with any kind of accuracy. The fact that it's Hearts we're playing obviously adds a lot of spice to the occasion, but to be honest, as long as we win the thing it doesn't matter who we have in the final.
I hate Hearts as much as I love Hibs, but I go a bit OTT, I'm just not interested in anything about them. I don't watch them when they're on the telly won't listen to them on the radio or read about them in the paper, in my opinion, and it maybe just my opinion, I'm not interested in the pathetic points-scoring attitude that Hearts fans always seem to have, particularly when it comes to us. So regardless if it's Hearts or any other team, if we win it will be history in the making, and although it might be irrelevant to some, you'll probably find the majority of football fans around the country, from all the other teams, might well be cheering us on as opposed to Hearts.
Sadly, that matters not, because unless we do win it, very little in football changes, after all they beat us pretty frequently, but I am hoping that we can do what Killie did to Celtic, and against the odds, do a job on them. I'm not, and never will be frightened of them, but I'm certainly not confident enough at this stage to predict we will beat them. First and foremost let's just be the ones to watch our team winning the Scottish Cup regardless of who the opposition are, because if we approach it as we do a derby game, and forget the first priority of winning the trophy, we will, as is often the case, get drawn into personal battles on the pitch which we almost inevitably seem to lose.
And a footnote- Beattie is the one man we should be particularly wary of in my opinion, seemingly Scacel was totally redundant until he came on after half time against Celtic. But at the end of the day, I've been married for 24 years, and so much of it has been more exciting than anything Hibs have done, maybe I'll change my mind somewhat if we can make history on 19th May.