PDA

View Full Version : The Most Boring Season Ends In Hysteria

Dashing Bob S
15-04-2012, 07:32 PM
If anyone told me at New Year that a free-falling, relegation-haunted Hibs side, and a turgid, middle-of-the-table Hearts team, would be ending the season on this crazy, hysterical high, which will build to unbearable proportions over the coming weeks, I'd have said they were crazy.

It's amazing the surprises the game of football has to offer. One way or another, this season promises to be unforgettable for both sets of fans - something completely unpredictable just several weeks, or even hours ago.

This is what it means to be a football fan, and I never thought this day would come. Nice one to the managers and players of both clubs for not bottling out and making it happen.

Sergey
15-04-2012, 07:46 PM
Fair point, Robert.

What amazes is that we're 90 minutes (OK maybe ET and penalties to factor in) away from winning the Scottish Cup for the first time in 110 years.

We've had a plethora of great players, great sides, teams, managers, the hardest casuals and good fortune throughout those years, yet 2012 could see us lift the trophy with a bunch of misfits and cast-offs wearing the shirt....and against the Yambolinos ta boot.

That would surely redefine the definition of irony.

hibsbollah
15-04-2012, 07:55 PM
I've been explaining this to my daughter. She's 8 and this is her first season as a season ticket holder. In this, her first season, we've been forced to watch the most turgid, mind-numbing, appalling football in my 30+years of watching Hibs. She's seen one win, seven draws and nine defeats. (and an abandonment).

She's in shock that her new team, her only team, that she has gone to watch 17 times and only seen win once, appears to be on the verge of making history. I told her that her Faith has been Rewarded. Sounds a bit quasi-religious, but thats whats happened.

If we beat those ****s in the final and avoid relegation. I genuinely wouldnt have wanted it any other way. This season will have been poetry.:cb

frazeHFC
15-04-2012, 07:57 PM
This has been the worst season i can remember, yet it could be the best season ever for us all at the same time. I can imagine the DVDs now, the lows of the lows and then complete madness at the end. :greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
15-04-2012, 08:06 PM
I'm in a bit of a surreal place at the moment. Since my teens I've had these crazy notions, not impossible, just ones that would never happen. Things like Deputy Dawg becoming President of the USA, and a Hibs Hearts final.

I don't know what to think, but it's slowly dawning that you should be careful what you wish for. (Keep your goddam hands off that button Musky, there's a soccer match in Scotland).

Hibeesmad
15-04-2012, 08:13 PM
This could still turn out to be our worst season ever...relegation and a smashing off hearts in the Scottish cup final.

But we can do it GGTTH

SkintHibby
15-04-2012, 08:52 PM
This really is why football is the greatest sport in the world.:agree:

LancashireHibby
15-04-2012, 09:35 PM
I wish the final was being played tomorrow. The build up and tension is going to be unbearable, and I hope that doesn't become a burden for the players as they're going to have 1902 rammed down their necks for the next few weeks.

Phil D. Rolls
15-04-2012, 09:54 PM
This could still turn out to be our worst season ever...relegation and a smashing off hearts in the Scottish cup final.

But we can do it GGTTH

:hmmm:

Dashing Bob S
15-04-2012, 10:30 PM
I wish the final was being played tomorrow. The build up and tension is going to be unbearable, and I hope that doesn't become a burden for the players as they're going to have 1902 rammed down their necks for the next few weeks.

1902, strangely, I think is going to a bigger cross for the Yams to bear. They are the ones who make a big fuss about it, most Hibees know that we have an embarrassingly bad SC record, but the sad truth is that in recent years, both cup competitions have become pretty devalued, and we've become pretty much resigned to not winning it. Obviously though, this one is different.

When Hearts fans celebrate our bad record in the cup, they are celebrating our strange incompetence in this tournament, rather than anything to do with them. Usually it's us that have made it 110, this time they have to stop us by making it 111.

Sean1875
15-04-2012, 10:34 PM
Ill be bawling like a bairn at SOL, canny wait :greengrin

LancashireHibby
16-04-2012, 10:25 AM
1902, strangely, I think is going to a bigger cross for the Yams to bear. They are the ones who make a big fuss about it, most Hibees know that we have an embarrassingly bad SC record, but the sad truth is that in recent years, both cup competitions have become pretty devalued, and we've become pretty much resigned to not winning it. Obviously though, this one is different.

When Hearts fans celebrate our bad record in the cup, they are celebrating our strange incompetence in this tournament, rather than anything to do with them. Usually it's us that have made it 110, this time they have to stop us by making it 111.

Just all the talk on here of how long people have waited to see us win the SC, how many generations have missed out etc - for some, it might be a huge inspiration, but for others it may be pretty daunting knowing what's at stake.