PDA

View Full Version : Credit for referee

Baldy
15-04-2012, 08:17 AM
his over all performance wasn't great yesterday, but I have to give him enormous credit for using his head and not booking Griffiths for his celebration.

How many time's have we seen the robots with the whistle book players for being emotional, yesterday Collum gets some huge credit for not booking someone who had just scored a late goal in a semi-final

:top marks

hibsbollah
15-04-2012, 08:19 AM
Collum is a terrible ref but he was OK yesterday.

McD
15-04-2012, 08:28 AM
I thought he was poor, let some of their players away with a lot.

It was the typical scottish referee performace - poor use of advantage, speaking to players like they were kids, every 50/50 decision went one way (aberdeen's), gave free kicks when there was nothing there (for both sides), but missed other more obvious fouls.

Seen a lot worse, but that s about the only positive I can say. I thought we won despite the ref.

Hibby Bairn
15-04-2012, 08:36 AM
Can't say I noticed the ref or even thought about him until this thread tbh. Does that not mean he was generally OK?

Aldo
15-04-2012, 08:44 AM
I thought Collum had an excellent game. Yeah he was petty at times but Klerk things go with a word in the ear... I will say both sets of players also deserve credit as thought the game was played in excellent spirit.

Geo_1875
15-04-2012, 08:50 AM
Must say I thought he performed pretty well. A couple of decisions which in the heat of the moment I thought went against us but overall we got away with a few which we haven't had much this season. He could have given the penalty for Hanlon's challenge and McPake was allowed to attack the ball in the air. And as for not booking Sparky, I don't think he could after allowing Aberdeen's subs to come on the pitch during their celebrations. Overall he had a decent game but we shouldn't have to comment on what should be the norm.

Pretty Boy
15-04-2012, 08:58 AM
I thought Collum was decent yesterday.

Only noticed him once or twice, which for an SPL referee is quite incredible.

lyonhibs
15-04-2012, 09:02 AM
I thought Collum was decent yesterday.

Only noticed him once or twice, which for an SPL referee is quite incredible.

:agree::agree:

I fair shat myself when Hanlon took a swing into Considine's mid-riff, but Collum didn't give anything. Was pleasantly surprised to see Hanlon not getting booked for his daft handball either.

A good performance, but to be fair the players made it easy for him.

Today's game will almost certainly be the exact opposite.

johnrebus
15-04-2012, 09:05 AM
Thought he was his usual awful self yesterday.

In particular when there was a Hibs player down with a head knock - Doherty? - int the first half.

Collum was around fifty yards away - and stood there fifty yards away - the whole time as the player received attention for at least three minutes.

Terrible performance from a terrible referee.

:grr:

Golden Bear
15-04-2012, 09:12 AM
After having read the various posts so far it's difficult to determine whether he was poor, indifferent, ok or excellent!

Who would be a Referee?

:greengrin

Sean1875
15-04-2012, 09:28 AM
Glad to see there was only 1 yellow card dishes out yesterday, hopefully todays ref is a touch more card happy :aok:

lucky
15-04-2012, 09:41 AM
Can't say I noticed the ref or even thought about him until this thread tbh. Does that not mean he was generally OK?

Never thought I'd ever a agree with a Tory but your spot on

PaulSmith
15-04-2012, 09:44 AM
Thought he was his usual awful self yesterday.

In particular when there was a Hibs player down with a head knock - Doherty? - int the first half.

Collum was around fifty yards away - and stood there fifty yards away - the whole time as the player received attention for at least three minutes.

Terrible performance from a terrible referee.

:grr:

What should he have done, run across with a sponge, hold his hand and ask if he's ok?

The_Todd
15-04-2012, 09:48 AM
I feared the worst when I found out it was to be Willie Collum, but to be fair it wasn't that bad. There were no bad tackles or big decisions to be made anyway really I suppose.

Scouse Hibee
15-04-2012, 10:19 AM
Can't see how anyone can describe the ref as awful yesterday TBH, he went largely unnoticed and IMO was okay.

Billy Whizz
15-04-2012, 10:22 AM
Can't see how anyone can describe the ref as awful yesterday TBH, he went largely unnoticed and IMO was okay.

I agree, apart from a couple of small things I think he was lenient. Saw him talking to Sproule after one challenge, which is sensible refereeing, would like to see more like this.

johnrebus
15-04-2012, 10:24 AM
What should he have done, run across with a sponge, hold his hand and ask if he's ok?

It was a head knock.

Don't you think it more appropriate that the referee should be present to ascertain how serious the injury is?

Or maybe you just like making sarcastic comments.

matty_f
15-04-2012, 10:26 AM
I thought in general he did ok. Gave every 50/50 decision Aberdeen's way but none of them were big decisions and there were only a few.

No complaints from me.

Holmesdale Hibs
15-04-2012, 10:27 AM
his over all performance wasn't great yesterday, but I have to give him enormous credit for using his head and not booking Griffiths for his celebration.

How many time's have we seen the robots with the whistle book players for being emotional, yesterday Collum gets some huge credit for not booking someone who had just scored a late goal in a semi-final

:top marks

I thought he might have been booked at the time, glad to hear he wasn't. I agree with your point - its good to see some common sense.

I thought the ref made some strange decisions but none of them had an impact on the game. I saw on another thread that GOC was offside for the second goal. I didn't notice at the time but, if true, that goes down as a fairly big mistake. I'm not complaining though.

PaulSmith
15-04-2012, 10:36 AM
It was a head knock.

Don't you think it more appropriate that the referee should be present to ascertain how serious the injury is?

I think physio's and doctors are more qualified to check head injuries than a RE teacher from Motherwell :)

johnrebus
15-04-2012, 10:38 AM
I think physio's and doctors are more qualified to check head injuries than a RE teacher from Motherwell :)

The referee is ultimately responsible for the welfare of the players.

O'Rourke3
15-04-2012, 10:47 AM
Couldn't wait to watch the game again as there were 3 decisions I thought he gave against us. TV all showed he was correct every time. He tried to let the game flow, he didn't book anyone for stuff that would have got it in the SPL. Have to say - apart from the Hanlon penaly (and where I was in the ground, didn't spot he may have given one away) - I was impressed.

Hibs7
15-04-2012, 11:07 AM
Thought the ref was fair, nuff said.

The Falcon
15-04-2012, 11:25 AM
It was a head knock.

In fairness the fourth official was already there and Doherty was being treated even before the match stopped.

Though Collum was ok yesterday. Missed a couple of things but our players, and theirs, made far more mistakes than he did.