PDA

View Full Version : Semi not on Hibs TV

The Tubs
13-04-2012, 04:31 PM
Got this email just now:

It is with regret that we have to announce that we’ve been unable to successfully negotiate broadcast rights from IMG to show live video footage from Saturday’s Scottish Cup semi-final on Hibernian TV International.

The SFA outsourced the media rights to IMG, who controlled all broadcast coverage outwith the UK, Ireland and North America and quoted the club a fee of £800 to broadcast the game via Hibernian International.

But this also meant that our subscribers based in North America would not be permitted to watch the broadcast because the rights to show coverage to the North American market were controlled by a separate company – Premier.

As it stands, Hibernian International has only 37 subscribers and 22 of those are currently based in North America, thus preventing us from being able to justify the outlay for just 15 subscribers. It was not an easy decision to make and we tried to make it stack up.

This matter, which we deem to be hugely important, was escalated to board level and there has been direct dialogue with all parties involved throughout the past two weeks in an attempt to resolve the issue.

But unfortunately a result has not been achievable, which is frustrating and upsetting both for Hibernian TV and undoubtedly for our overseas subscribers.

Live audio commentary will still be available via Hibernian TV, but sadly there will be no live video coverage via Hibernian TV International on the day.

If you require any further explanation then please email tv_live@hiberniantv.co.uk

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused and thanks for your support.

Kind regards

Hibernian TV

Bugger!

Dalkeith
13-04-2012, 05:00 PM
Not good news for folk abroad hoping to watch online but on this occasion i totally back the club, just as the club needs fans through the gate hiberniantv needs overseas fans to do their part as well so hopefully next season something can be put in place to allow overseas fans to contribute to hiberniantv in return for all home games being covered

cabbageandribs1875
13-04-2012, 05:01 PM
understandable really, but i kinda hope the club would maybe subsidise a screening IF we get to the final ? :cb having said that, i wonder if the 15 other subscribers would have been willing to make up the extra for a one-off?

blackpoolhibs
13-04-2012, 05:02 PM
For those overseas fans who now cant watch it on HI, there are streams so you can get it, google is your friend. :wink:

hibbybrian
13-04-2012, 06:00 PM
Got this email just now:

It is with regret that we have to announce that we’ve been unable to successfully negotiate broadcast rights from IMG to show live video footage from Saturday’s Scottish Cup semi-final on Hibernian TV International.

The SFA outsourced the media rights to IMG, who controlled all broadcast coverage outwith the UK, Ireland and North America and quoted the club a fee of £800 to broadcast the game via Hibernian International.

But this also meant that our subscribers based in North America would not be permitted to watch the broadcast because the rights to show coverage to the North American market were controlled by a separate company – Premier.

As it stands, Hibernian International has only 37 subscribers and 22 of those are currently based in North America, thus preventing us from being able to justify the outlay for just 15 subscribers. It was not an easy decision to make and we tried to make it stack up.

This matter, which we deem to be hugely important, was escalated to board level and there has been direct dialogue with all parties involved throughout the past two weeks in an attempt to resolve the issue.

But unfortunately a result has not been achievable, which is frustrating and upsetting both for Hibernian TV and undoubtedly for our overseas subscribers.

Live audio commentary will still be available via Hibernian TV, but sadly there will be no live video coverage via Hibernian TV International on the day.

If you require any further explanation then please email tv_live@hiberniantv.co.uk

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused and thanks for your support.

Kind regards

Hibernian TV

Bugger!

1 It seems strange that 22 out of 37 subscribers are based in North America when of the total of 40 posters on the International Supporters Group, there are only 4 from the USA and 3 from Canada :confused:

2 AFAIK for League matches, participating teams in televised matches are entitled to a free stream from the broadcaster - so how come the SFA can sanction Hibs being charged 800 quid for a stream of a match in which they are playing :confused:

3 In the past it was possible to pay to watch individual matches however the new improved service requires you to pay for 3 months minimum with automatic renewal - how many matches are going to be shown in the next 3 months:confused:

4 The new improved service which was supposed to have been introduced after user consultation - although nobody has so far acknowledged being consulted - only shows matches which are available on sat tv or on streams for free - how many subscribers do the board expect for this service.

5 There have been extensive efforts made on behalf of Overseas suporters with a view to restoring live coverage of all home matches including financial offers to cover the costs to Hibernian FC - have these been escalated to Board level - if so why have we had no feedback so far :confused:

PeeJay
13-04-2012, 06:04 PM
Just picked up on this, I thought you must all be joking, but having checked the official site it seems the semi-final which has been advertised for some weeks was built up as being a 'new and improved Hibs TV International live broadcast is now suddenly (I mean we are basically a few hours from kick off) no longer available for broadcast. A wee kick in the goolies that, I certainly wasn't expecting it .... thanks guys! Great customer service...

Like to thank Hibs Net for informing me of this - unfortunately the Hibs TV crew haven't yet bothered to notify me - changed days indeed - maybe they are working on some email excuse that they are hoping to get out just before kick off - maybe they reckon the official site is enough nowadays?

Anyway Hibs TV - this is the age of the Internet and freebie viewing - the game's being broadcast, there's nothing you can do to stop me watching this semi final!
Cancel the broadcast one day before the semi-final -:applause:

oh, well, I'm off to find the "cancel my subscription" button - think I'd rather support Bayern than put up with this nonsense anymore....

I'mway osay uckingfay issedpay offway ithway IbsTVhay - :brickwall

Hibercelona
13-04-2012, 06:21 PM
You'll find a link online anyway, just use google! :wink:

The Green Goblin
13-04-2012, 07:00 PM
I just found out from a mate who e-mailed me.

No e-mail from Hibs tv and I am a subscriber.

"New and Improved" is sounding hollower and hollower.

I am also tired of seeing the reference to this mythical "customer feedback" when, as a long-standing subscriber to Hibs tv, I was never asked for my ideas or opinions. Here is the (ever more ironic sounding) text from the official site:

"Wherever you are in the world - whether it is Bangalore or Berlin - you will be able to watch your favourite team. Hibernian TV listened to your feedback about the previous TV LIVE service, which is why we have launched this new product designed to improve your viewing experience with a superior video stream."

Yeah...

broonie27
13-04-2012, 07:42 PM
I am utterly gobsmacked. This is horrendous news, these internet feeds are totally crap quality. I can't believe Hibs couldn't front up with £800. What's that, the cost of the strips for the match? Forkin' fumin' :furious::furious::furious::furious::furious:

The Tubs
13-04-2012, 08:33 PM
I am utterly gobsmacked. This is horrendous news, these internet feeds are totally crap quality. I can't believe Hibs couldn't front up with £800. What's that, the cost of the strips for the match? Forkin' fumin' :furious::furious::furious::furious::furious:

If you need any links let me know; generally the quality of the schneiders nowadays are about as good as Hibs tv.

IberianHibernian
13-04-2012, 09:13 PM
Got the email from club . Understand reasons for club not paying . Maybe e mail could have been sent a bit earlier than a day before game at least suggesting there might be no coverage but I understand that coverage for overseas fans is not a high priority at ER ( other threads have discussed or will discuss whether club could do more to increase number of overseas subscribers , sponsorship of Hibs TV etc ) . I don`t think any fan is expecting club to subsidise coverage of tomorrow`s game or any other - I`ve paid for TV season ticket since it started ( often costing more than some STs at ER despite numerous technical problems ) and for many away games online and was prepared to do so again this season ( decision not to have online ST was taken by club not by fans - I was very prepared to renew and I`m sure others were too ) . Apart from wanting to see games , I`ve always considered it a way to support club just like buying merchandise or taking part in programme to buy STs for others which has been organised a few times . Like all the other matches being offered on new , improved (? ) service it shouldn`t be too difficult to find a stream and probably with same commentator but obviously it would have been nice to share happiness or despondency of semi result with a Hibernian commentary .

IberianHibernian
13-04-2012, 09:22 PM
37 subscribers , 22 of them in N America . Does anyone know how many subscribers there were this time last year ? Maybe not many more than now but even if there were only 50 ( quite likely as incentive to sign up in 2012 was not great only to see matches easily found elsewhere online during a terrible season onfield ) who were prepared to pay previous interactive season ticket rate plus extras for big matches like tomorrow`s the 800 pounds would not have been such an obstacle .

Tha Cabbage Kid
13-04-2012, 09:46 PM
totally gutted :(

ive been getting myself ready for it and now what? hope you all enjoy the game.

JON6207
13-04-2012, 10:49 PM
Aberdeen seem willing to assist there international fans.

http://www.afc.co.uk/articles/20120412/watch-the-big-sf-match-aberdeen-v-hibs-live_2212158_2730912

Hibs 7
13-04-2012, 11:08 PM

http://www.afc.co.uk/articles/20120412/watch-the-big-sf-match-aberdeen-v-hibs-live_2212158_2730912

Red TV show any sheep game that is on tv, whether it's Sky, BBC Alba or whatever. Not sure how many subscribers they have though

WellingtonHibby
13-04-2012, 11:57 PM
So I can subscribe to the Aberdeen stream? I'll just do that, if do so.

JON6207
14-04-2012, 12:21 AM
So I can subscribe to the Aberdeen stream? I'll just do that, if do so.

Yes, have just signed up myself

WellingtonHibby
14-04-2012, 12:34 AM
Yes, have just signed up myself

Just signed up myself, well played the dandies:na na:

Hongkong Phooey
14-04-2012, 03:26 AM
Just signed up myself, well played the dandies:na na:

IF we make it through today then hopefully the overseas fans will be sorted for the final (those not flying back obviously):agree:.

There are 60 or so names on the international thread - I'm positive there are enough people to cover the cost for Hibs if we get in a similar situation again. Granted they don't know about us all yet but hopefully this will change soon. :greengrin

The Green Goblin
14-04-2012, 03:27 AM

This puts Hibs to shame.

Gutted, angry and out of patience. This shouldn't have been allowed to happen; pure and simple.

I'll be writing to cancel my subscription this weekend.

WellingtonHibby
14-04-2012, 03:29 AM
[QUOTE=The Green Goblin;3178159]This puts Hibs to shame.

Gutted, angry and out of patience. This shouldn't have been allowed to happen; pure and simple.

I'll be writing to cancel my subscription this weekend.[/QUOTE
Done that too. Sent them the link as well, show them how other clubs manage it.

18Craig75
14-04-2012, 03:44 AM
Very disappointing, especially with the game not being shown on Oz Setanta. Our biggest game of the last few years and we are left to roll the dice on a dodgy stream. Poor show from Hibs, the gap between the club and overseas fans keeps widening.

hongkonghibee
14-04-2012, 09:09 AM
Things go from bad to worse on Hibernian TV. Firstly cancelling mid-season our live match coverage, then not even willing to provide the few matches promised on the official site with the new poorer service. Again NO communication from the Club before the email I got yesterday saying they will not be showing it. Disgraceful way to treat overseas supporters.

Hibrandenburg
14-04-2012, 09:24 AM
Just picked up on this, I thought you must all be joking, but having checked the official site it seems the semi-final which has been advertised for some weeks was built up as being a 'new and improved Hibs TV International live broadcast is now suddenly (I mean we are basically a few hours from kick off) no longer available for broadcast. A wee kick in the goolies that, I certainly wasn't expecting it .... thanks guys! Great customer service...

Like to thank Hibs Net for informing me of this - unfortunately the Hibs TV crew haven't yet bothered to notify me - changed days indeed - maybe they are working on some email excuse that they are hoping to get out just before kick off - maybe they reckon the official site is enough nowadays?

Anyway Hibs TV - this is the age of the Internet and freebie viewing - the game's being broadcast, there's nothing you can do to stop me watching this semi final!
Cancel the broadcast one day before the semi-final -:applause:

oh, well, I'm off to find the "cancel my subscription" button - think I'd rather support Bayern than put up with this nonsense anymore....

I'mway osay uckingfay issedpay offway ithway IbsTVhay - :brickwall

Hi Peejay, if you're in Germany you can now watch all the free view channels on a normal 80cm dish. The game's being shown on BBC 2. If you don't have a dish at home then maybe one of the local pubs will be able to tune in for you, as there's not a conflict with other games due to the early kick off. Just a thought. Good luck.

Keith_M
14-04-2012, 09:29 AM
Hibernian FC, the club that doesn't give a Toss for its overseas fans

If anyone just happens to be in Munich, I've arranged with Killian's Irish Pub, just off Marienplatz, to show the game.

They weren't going to show the game but a bit of begging and some emotional blackmail (how can you call yourselves Irish if you won't show Hibernian, etc) did the trick.

PeeJay
14-04-2012, 09:50 AM
Hi Peejay, if you're in Germany you can now watch all the free view channels on a normal 80cm dish. The game's being shown on BBC 2. If you don't have a dish at home then maybe one of the local pubs will be able to tune in for you, as there's not a conflict with other games due to the early kick off. Just a thought. Good luck.

Thanks for the tips Hiberlin - with the ExPat Shield software I can hopefully watch the Beeb online - and I have a stream sorted out as backup just in case - just need to get the ladies out of the house now down to Schöneberg - and then we're off!

C'mon the Hibs!
:flag:

hongkonghibee
14-04-2012, 10:21 AM

just signed up myself to watch via the Aberdeen site. Shame on Hibs.

TheDude
14-04-2012, 11:13 AM
The match is live on the BBC site.

Just go through a proxy (hides your non-UK IP address) and you can watch the match. Plenty proxy sites/software available, just search Google.

This is not illegal!!!

*I realise this doesnt excuse for the ineptitude of cancelling the day before the semi-final. Just not keen on the thought of fans not being able to watch the match!

Steve-O
14-04-2012, 11:21 AM
I can't seem to get it working on the Aberdeen website after signing up??

JON6207
14-04-2012, 11:26 AM
I can't seem to get it working on the Aberdeen website after signing up??

I had to use internet explorer and update the flash player, now working

Dr_Regal
14-04-2012, 11:33 AM
Does anyone have a decent stream out there?

jonty
14-04-2012, 11:41 AM
The match is live on the BBC site.

Just go through a proxy (hides your non-UK IP address) and you can watch the match. Plenty proxy sites/software available, just search Google.

This is not illegal!!!

*I realise this doesnt excuse for the ineptitude of cancelling the day before the semi-final. Just not keen on the thought of fans not being able to watch the match!
Actually it is. The bbc chose who should receive their content and are also restricted by content owners as to how they can distribute content.

Its also for BBC licence fee payers - which is why you need a licence to us it.

Im not saying I agree with their model.... :greengrin

I think it's pretty pish that hibs have been shown up by Aberdeen for showing the game. Hopefully the spl broadcasting with sky can be thrown out with rangers, and hibs can have rights to their home games, at least.

Steve-O
14-04-2012, 12:18 PM
Got Aberdeen site working eventually. Disgraceful from Hibs. I signed up earlier in good faith and nowhere on the site is it clear the game was not getting shown. In the end I found out on here 5 minutes before kick off. A total joke. Won't pay £800 for a semi final FFS. Cheap arse *******s.

HibeesLA
14-04-2012, 12:23 PM
Got Aberdeen site working eventually. Disgraceful from Hibs. I signed up earlier in good faith and nowhere on the site is it clear the game was not getting shown. In the end I found out on here 5 minutes before kick off. A total joke. Won't pay £800 for a semi final FFS. Cheap arse *******s.

Aberdeen site states that the feed still isn't available in the US

The Green Goblin
14-04-2012, 02:01 PM
In the end, I called my brother and he pointed his iphone at the tv and i watched it via Facetime on mine. (In case you don't know, Facetime video calls are free between any iphones anywhere in the world)

Works fine if you have someone back home. Worth remembering for another time.