PDA

View Full Version : The Sad passing of a fellow Hibby

EuanH78
10-04-2012, 08:20 PM
My Dad, Dr. Simon Hart passed away suddenly on Sunday night.

Originally from London he moved up to Edinburgh as a student and became a Hibby, and remained so for about 45 years till his death. Latterly had taken to forgoing the pub and having a cup of tea and a roll in the Albion cafe before games. (If anyone knows the old guy Alex from Rosyth who goes in there, can they get in touch with me please).

Season ticket holder in the East for as long as I can remember and present and correct at Hands off Hibs. Had not been feeling well enough to go to many games recently but still as interested as ever.

His story was, when he moved up to Scotland he went to a few games here and there, went to watch Hibs playing Celtc (circa Lisbon Lions era) Hibs winning 2 - 0 at half time and ended up getting beat 2-4 or something (not entirely sure of the final score) and thought 'thats the team for me' :greengrin

Funeral not yet arranged, though if folk know him and want to come along PM me and I'll let you know the details when I have them.

Sadly missed Dad.

scoopyboy
10-04-2012, 08:31 PM

Originally from London he moved up to Edinburgh as a student and became a Hibby, and remained so for about 45 years till his death. Latterly had taken to forgoing the pub and having a cup of tea and a roll in the Albion cafe before games. (If anyone knows the old guy Alex from Rosyth who goes in there, can they get in touch with me please).

Season ticket holder in the East for as long as I can remember and present and correct at Hands off Hibs. Had not been feeling well enough to go to many games recently but still as interested as ever.

His story was, when he moved up to Scotland he went to a few games here and there, went to watch Hibs playing Celtc (circa Lisbon Lions era) Hibs winning 2 - 0 at half time and ended up getting beat 2-4 or something (not entirely sure of the final score) and thought 'thats the team for me' :greengrin

Funeral not yet arranged, though if folk know him and want to come along PM me and I'll let you know the details when I have them.

Sadly missed Dad.

Sorry to hear about your loss.

I think the game your dad was referring to was when we lost 5-2 after being 2-1 in front with 20 minutes or so to go.

Jay
10-04-2012, 08:38 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss.

--------
10-04-2012, 08:40 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss.

I think the game your dad was referring to was when we lost 5-2 after being 2-1 in front with 20 minutes or so to go.

:agree: Played on a gluepot pitch. Paddy Stanton had been out with an injury for some time, and Bob Shankly played him at right back that day. Paddy had Bobby Lennox in his pocket for 75 minutes; we were leading 2-1 and looking fairly good for it. Then Stein took Lennox off and put Thug Hughes on. Paddy was just about done by then - first game back, heavy pitch - and Hughes scored 4 in the last 11 minutes. You were only allowed one sub at the time, and we'd already used ours.

I still bear the scars to this day. :rolleyes:

Euan - very sorry to hear of your dad's death - you have all my sympathy. By your account he was a really nice guy. Take care.

Jonnyboy
10-04-2012, 09:00 PM
Sorry for your loss Euan

erin go bragh
10-04-2012, 09:07 PM

Sadly missed Dad.
Sorry to hear of your and the hibs family loss , rip .

10-04-2012, 09:09 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss, condolences to you and all your family at this sad time!

Hopefully we can win on saturday for him!

scuttle
10-04-2012, 09:38 PM

Sadly missed Dad.

Sorry for your loss mate. Lets hope your dad will be watching over us as we celebrate winning the cup

HFC07
10-04-2012, 09:42 PM
Sorry for your loss, all he best to you and yuor family through this. :flag:

Shrekko
10-04-2012, 09:45 PM
Growing up as a Hibs supporting kid in Kirkcaldy, our friends the Hart family were the only other Hibees we knew in the town for many years until the formation of The Famous Fife branch of the Hibs supporters club. Simon is very well known to former members of that club and I'm sure everyone who knew him will be like me, very sad to hear of his passing. His loud booming shouts of support for 'the cabbage and ribs' in Scottish dialect and a southern English accent will long be remembered!

Considering his background, his passion for Hibs was truly amazing. Wearing 'Hibs coloured specs' was a phrase that could have been invented for Simon and at times he had people literally shaking their heads at his optimism regarding all things Hibernian. He truly believed it too! It did actually lead to many a 'Keegan-esque' moment during games which would involve him telling everyone that Hibs were in complete control and had nothing to worry about, quickly followed by an opponent bursting the net from 20 yards! He never learned though and was genuinely a real character.

I've no doubt Simon will have been supremely confident about this weekends game so it would be fitting if his faith was justified this time.

RIP Simon :flag:

Jones28
10-04-2012, 09:51 PM
Sorry for your loss mate, lets do it for Simon on Saturday :flag:

iwasthere1972
10-04-2012, 09:54 PM
Sorry to hear of your sad loss.

I was at the game I think you are referring to. Think Joe Davis put us ahead 2-1 with a penalty at the Dunbar end with 15 or so minutes left but Celtic won. 5-2.

givescotlandfreedom
10-04-2012, 10:13 PM
Sorry for your sad loss.
RIP

IWasThere2016
10-04-2012, 10:19 PM
My condolences Euan.

Hibrandenburg
10-04-2012, 10:22 PM
Thanks for sharing your loss. Think most of us can emphasise with what you're feeling. C'mon the cabbage!

The Harp
10-04-2012, 11:11 PM
Didn't know your Dad, Euan, but I'm sure you'll have a whole host of happy memories to sustain you.
Sincere condolences to you and your family.

RIP

EuanH78
11-04-2012, 09:00 AM
Many thanks all for your messages.

As those have noted, the eternal optimist as far as Hibs went. I think the fact the doctorate he held was in philosophy probably helped with his/ our Hibs affliction :agree:.

Many thanks again to those who have corrected me about the game he was talking about.

Macaroon
11-04-2012, 11:12 AM
Terrible to hear, R.I.P.

R'Albin
11-04-2012, 11:49 AM
That's awful, sorry for your loss Euan.

He'll be looking down and smiling when he watches us progress to the SC final on Saturday :agree:

Sean1875
11-04-2012, 11:53 AM
Hopefully the boys can do the business for your dad on Saturday, my condolences.

hibbybrian
11-04-2012, 01:11 PM
Many thanks all for your messages.

As those have noted, the eternal optimist as far as Hibs went. I think the fact the doctorate he held was in philosophy probably helped with his/ our Hibs affliction :agree:.

Many thanks again to those who have corrected me about the game he was talking about.

Sorry to hear of your sad loss.

I was at the game I think you are referring to. Think Joe Davis put us ahead 2-1 with a penalty at the Dunbar end with 15 or so minutes left but Celtic won. 5-2.

Sorry to hear such bad news but it sounds like you were lucky to have such a fine guy for a father :agree:

BTW Alan McGraw scored a third for Hibs in the last minute to make it 3-5 by all accounts Simon would have expected us to go on and win in injury time :greengrin

Fife-Hibee
11-04-2012, 01:55 PM
Really sorry 2 hear of your loss Euan, your dad sounded like a real character, and a great hibby. Thoughts go out to you all at this sad time !

yeezus.
11-04-2012, 02:08 PM
Sorry for your loss, our thoughts are with you.

danhibees1875
11-04-2012, 02:48 PM
RIP Simon

Met him through the Famous Fife Supporters club mentioned above, was a truelly lovely guy. :agree: Remember him telling me stories of far better Hibs teams as the bus made its way over the bridge back to Fife after another Bobby Williamson defeat, and trying to introduce me to the world of stamp collecting and ebay trading - neither of which stuck. :greengrin

I was very surprised to hear of this, I had just asked on the Sunday morning if Simon would be on the bus FF bus through to the semi.

Hopefully we get a result for him, RIP Simon. :aok:

Big_D
11-04-2012, 03:00 PM
Having only met Simon for the 1st and only time quite recently he appeared a very upbeat guy regarding Hibs . I was shocked to the core to hear this terrible news . As others have said I'm sure he'll be at Hampden in spirit on saturday and will be proud to know you're there too .
See you on Saturday Euan

Hibernia&Alba
11-04-2012, 05:22 PM
So sorry to read of your sad news, Euan. We only get one father and I'm sure he was a lovely man. It takes time to come to terms with losing someone suddenly. All the best to you and your family at this difficult time.

Aubenas
11-04-2012, 05:51 PM
Sorry for your loss, Euan. Didn't know your dad, but he's of my generation and optimistic outlook and I also have an Englsih accent picked up when I moved down south, so I feel like I would have got on with him. I hope your shared Hibee memories will be a comfort to you.
RIP

iwasthere1972
11-04-2012, 07:22 PM
Sorry to hear such bad news but it sounds like you were lucky to have such a fine guy for a father :agree:

BTW Alan McGraw scored a third for Hibs in the last minute to make it 3-5 by all accounts Simon would have expected us to go on and win in injury time :greengrin

Think we are talking about two different games. We lost 3-5 in 1966 and 2-5 in 1968. I'm pretty sure that it was the 1968 game I was at if that was the one in which Joe Davis scored from the spot late on to put us 2-1 up but Celtic stepped it up a gear and put 4 past us in about 20 minutes or so.

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/game.php?gameid=2940

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/game.php?gameid=3059

FranckSuzy
11-04-2012, 07:27 PM
I'm very sorry to hear your sad news Euan. I too lost my dad suddenly so I can empathise with you. He sounds like a really good man and as other posters have said, here's hoping the Hibees do him proud on Saturday :flag:

PS My dad was a Jambo, but a good dad nonetheless :wink:

NAE NOOKIE
11-04-2012, 08:04 PM
Always sad when a fellow Hibby goes. Sorry for your loss.

How many Hibbies will and have passed without seeing us win the cup :bitchy:

RIP Sir

Just_Jimmy
11-04-2012, 08:41 PM
I knew your Dad Euan. I used to travel on that bus every week and he'd often tell me tales and make sure I "Knew my history".

I'm deeply saddened to hear of his passing, I've not seen him for a year or so due to my slipping attendence due to work etc. I knew he was unwell however.

I'd very much like to know details so I can pay my last respects to someone who was a great Hibby, but more importantly a genuine, warm and fantastic person.

He'll be badly missed in all walks, not just at Easter Road.

RIP Simon.

Jimmy.

FifeHibby
12-04-2012, 05:03 PM
Very sorry for your loss Euan.
Knew Simon very well.Right from the first time he came on the Fife bus he would install believe into the whole bus that Hibs would win.
He would always drink with us in the pub before games.
My greatest memory of Simon was the night of the AEK Athens home game, he took a few of us to the game in his old campervan.He had the fridge well stocked with beer.
Sadly missed.
RIP Simon

Ian

mim
12-04-2012, 05:27 PM
Sorry to hear this news, Euan.

R.I.P. Simon - God's picking them from our pen now.

famous_fife_hibby
12-04-2012, 05:36 PM
Simon was a good friend, as has been said already he took some of us to games in his campervan - it was great!, sadly I only saw him at the beggining of the season because of where i now live.

I remember a few years ago going to his and His then partners house for a "drink on a saturday night. Me, Simon and I think Elenor was her name drank 16 bottles of wine between us! great night.
RIP SIMON HART
GONE AND SADLY MISSED
Ralph:flag:

EuanH78
12-04-2012, 08:55 PM
Apologies to all because I havent worked out the multi quote thing so will just mash it all together.

Thanks again guys, especially all the stories from those that knew him. Wish I could have been on that campervan for the Athens game but I was in Australia at the time, sounds like a blast (even if it did only go at a snails pace IIRC)

I've been going through his address book phoning people up to let them know and nearly everyone has a wee story to tell that brings a wee smile.

Ralph, I've been trying to get you on the phone but I think it must be an old number because it wont go through, I remember my Dad speaking of you fondly. I'll pm you my number if you want to phone up for a chat, and it was Eleanor, no longer together though, but jesus :faint:, 16 bottles of wine? He could put them away back then right enough :greengrin

He would have been having a right laugh at the debate about what game it was that turned him into a Hibby. Knowing my Dad it was probably a combination of both of them muddled up in his head :agree:.

I had been trying to convince him to go to the semi in one of the last times I spoke to him but he wasnt feeling well enough to be out for the whole day. He was happy that I was going though so, as he put it 'we would be represented' so think it's only right I still go, no omens but hopefully he can pull a few strings for us eh? :aok:

Funeral is at Kirkcaldy Crematorium on Friday the 20th 11am to which all are welcome, Drinks in the Victoria Hotel after to share a few stories and see the old bugger off.

I appreciate everyones comments, they mean a lot. Like I said my Dad was a Dr of philosophy, so if he didnt have a Phd in urban development he probably would have had to spend his career in Burger King. As it was he was a town planner for Fife council (but in case anyone is wondering, Glenrothes isn't his fault :greengrin it was more of a statistical analysis type role I'm led to believe)

He was a tutor at the Edinburgh School of Philosophy latterly and some of the stuff he taught me has really helped me deal with not only this but other things that have happened throughout my life.

'what cannot be changed, must be endured' as in Hibs as in life eh?

Craig_in_Prague
14-04-2012, 01:18 PM
God bless and hope he's smiling from above.

EuanH78
14-04-2012, 04:54 PM
God bless and hope he's smiling from above.

Cheers Craig I'm sure he is. I've had a great day (taking a rest from the arrangements) though I was a bit teary when sunshine on leith was getting played in the club beforehand but otherwise he would be, and I am very happy with the day :aok: