PDA

View Full Version : Hibs vs Anderlecht 1992

Holmesdale Hibs
10-04-2012, 07:42 PM
Just found this on YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Znkp0n7iOh0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I thought until today that they had Rudi Voller playing for them but just looks like a guy with a similar dodgy hair do. NEVER a booking for Mikey Weir.

Great game and probably one of the best I've been to. Anyone else remember it?

WhileTheChief..
10-04-2012, 07:48 PM
Yeah, brilliant night.

How good does the old east look there, stadium was amazing back then for games like that.

Pretty Boy
10-04-2012, 07:49 PM
Was only young at the time but 3 things I always remember about that game:

Getting in late because of the crowd, it was huge.

Being confused as to why Hibs fans were in the 'away' end

Hibs fans going absolutely mental about the referee.

HUTCHYHIBBY
10-04-2012, 07:50 PM
2 great ties, really enjoyed Brussels, even though The Turks in the red light district didnae seem to appreciate our presence!

Remember 3 of us doing a runner from a Pizza Hut and thinking we would be on Interpols most wanted list!

truehibernian
10-04-2012, 07:52 PM
Fantastic night, superb atmosphere. If memory serves me right, Peter Van Vossen was stretchered off after a right sore one, with no sympathy from us. Was behind the goals getting treatment and pelters.

Best player on the pitch was wee Marc Degryse though. And wee Mickey not far behind him.

cabbageandribs1875
10-04-2012, 07:57 PM
i'm sure there was talk at the time of using the Anderlecht ground as a model for ER iirc :hmmm: anyway, fond memories of both liege and brussels :cheers:

SteveHFC
10-04-2012, 07:59 PM
2 great ties, really enjoyed Brussels, even though The Turks in the red light district didnae seem to appreciate our presence!

Remember 3 of us doing a runner from a Pizza Hut and thinking we would be on Interpols most wanted list!

Was it not the moroccans. :aok:

cabbageandribs1875
10-04-2012, 08:00 PM
it was indeed the moroccans that were at the head of the trouble

HUTCHYHIBBY
10-04-2012, 08:04 PM

quite possibly, it was a very messy trip!

SteveHFC
10-04-2012, 08:06 PM
quite possibly, it was a very messy trip!

I wasn't even born then. I was told it was the moroccans from someone who was there :wink:

Spike Mandela
10-04-2012, 08:26 PM
I wasn't even born then. I was told it was the moroccans from someone who was there :wink:

It was indeed Moroccans. I remember some in the Grand Place with huge knuckle dusters and Machetes. Also remember a large amount of Hibs Casuals as well.

Phil D. Rolls
10-04-2012, 08:34 PM

I thought until today that they had Rudi Voller playing for them but just looks like a guy with a similar dodgy hair do. NEVER a booking for Mikey Weir.

Thanks for that. I remember they were doing well against us, until they started the cheating, they noised up the crowd, and they crumbled when the wall of noise hit them. I seem to remember their fans going a bit quiet too, they had been pretty cocky and obnoxious up till then.

nribs
10-04-2012, 08:34 PM

Great game and probably one of the best I've been to. Anyone else remember it? Did they not have Peter Van Vossen around this time? He had a dodgey hair style

HUTCHYHIBBY
10-04-2012, 08:35 PM
It was indeed Moroccans. I remember some in the Grand Place with huge knuckle dusters and Machetes. Also remember a large amount of Hibs Casuals as well.

Aye, it was the machetes that caught my attention more than the ethnicity of the folk wielding them!

I seem to remember the riot police taking a fairly relaxed view of things until the local immigrants began to get on top, at which stage they were quite happy to take the opportunity to give a few of them a skelp!

Scorrie
10-04-2012, 08:38 PM

It certainly was. I can remember spending all night in a pub surrounded by a crowd of them. Was pretty mental. Great trip though and a great game.

magpie1892
10-04-2012, 08:39 PM
Did they not have Peter Van Vossen around this time? He had a dodgey hair style

van Vossen was the guy with the mullet that night.

truehibernian
10-04-2012, 08:50 PM
van Vossen was the guy with the mullet that night.

I am sure he took a sore one, but play acted, then got stretchered off to behind the goals, then realised it was wise to get up and back on due to the loose change being 'offered' to him by angry Hibs fans.

MartinfaePorty
10-04-2012, 08:55 PM
Brilliant! Thanks to whoever put this up. I was on holiday in Florida and had to get the score from an English newspaper about 3 days later! Think this is the first time I have seen the highlights. How unlucky was Mickey? Some 'old school' play acting from the Dutch.

Missed 3 games when I was away, the other 2 were the 3-2 win at Parkhead and a 2-2 draw at home to Airdrie. No shortage of goals!

tanfield
10-04-2012, 09:00 PM
Away trip was excellent, went on the Carlton bus.

Mind deciding to get the train out to the ground with my mates, queue a good few casuals running down the stairs and into the carriage in front off us and causing a rammy.

After they decided to remove one of the windows and smash it on the platform they legged it. 5 mins later the local constabulary appeared and removed us from the train. Only a few words from some friendly locals to the effect "it wisnae them" saved us from further hassle!

weecounty hibby
10-04-2012, 09:03 PM

Pish!!!!! Not what the facts were but just that you say you remember! The state you were in for our trip, there is no way you remember anything. Great trip with some great friends, some sadly no longer with us. Hibs were so unlucky not to go through over the two legs.

Nakedmanoncrack
10-04-2012, 09:10 PM

Memorable night yet surprisingly I don't recall Keith, Keith's stunning volley off the bar in the 2nd half.
Pleased to see from this film that I was right to be unhappy with wee Micky's sending off.

IWasThere2016
10-04-2012, 10:31 PM
Brilliant! Thanks to whoever put this up. I was on holiday in Florida and had to get the score from an English newspaper about 3 days later! Think this is the first time I have seen the highlights. How unlucky was Mickey? Some 'old school' play acting from the Dutch.

Missed 3 games when I was away, the other 2 were the 3-2 win at Parkhead and a 2-2 draw at home to Airdrie. No shortage of goals!

Wow - I was in Miami and Orlando on honeymoon and missed said same games!

Cheers for that M :thumbsup:

SteveHFC
10-04-2012, 10:38 PM
I was also told that 2 hibs fans died on the train down to London :(

Can any Hibees remember this?

Newhaven
10-04-2012, 10:54 PM

Sadly yes

keithkeith
10-04-2012, 11:03 PM
I took the bus from Edinburgh to Brussels. My dad took another bus, due to us booking with a travel company in Leith. The company went bust shortly before the game, so we had to book with other companies and we couldn't get on the same bus, or hotel.

Massively long trip, stopped off in Dover harbour at 5-6am and played football in the car park, white cliffs in the background, with Rangers and Airdrie fans as they were travelling as well. I think Airdrie got in as Cup runners-up?

Swapped my scarf for a purple Anderlecht scarf - a nice Belgian girl gave me the scarf :wink:

Days before mobile phones, so arranged to meet my dad under the clock in the main station. Didn't know there was two stations, so never met him until we got to the ground. Had loads of Amstel & Jupiler beers, singing Hibs songs in the main square, then slept in someone's bath as I didn't have a hotel as the travel company took my money before going bust. Guy I travelled on the bus with was sound. I got him beers, he let me sleep in the bath!

Actually, I think the bus was from West Lothian, as I got dropped there coming home and had to get a lift from a guy in the bus.

Best away trip I've ever been on. No money, but determined to see Hibs.

Disappointed with Anderlecht stadium. Just concrete, no style (from memory). Little did I know that we were watching the man that would ruin football - Mr Bosman.

And Jacko scored, for a brief moment the dream was on...!

:cb

ballengeich
11-04-2012, 01:29 AM
Little did I know that we were watching the man that would ruin football - Mr Bosman.

It was a different Bosman and in any case the man you think you saw certaintly didn't ruin football. What he did was establish that footballers have the same rights as other people when moving job.

soupy
11-04-2012, 04:58 AM
Disappointed with Anderlecht stadium. Just concrete, no style (from memory). Little did I know that we were watching the man that would ruin football - Mr Bosman.

And Jacko scored, for a brief moment the dream was on...!

:cb

Must admit I thought it was a cracking stadium...well what I remember of it...:-)

hibernian36
11-04-2012, 05:38 AM
Must admit I thought it was a cracking stadium...well what I remember of it...:-)

We got a bus from tollcross some boy donnie ran it from a grocers there. Memories of a long bus trip watching vhs clips of hibs goals and folk spewing up the bus aisles. Saw rangers fans at dover, got pashed in the square then onto their concrete bunker where we had fc liege fans in beside us with a big banner ! Great trip pity we lost out in the end. Was in the "away" end at the home game as well great atmosphere !!!

magpie1892
11-04-2012, 06:44 AM

Yeah, the old British Rail 125 rolling stock had doors which didn't lock, and these two guys were in the vestibule and fell out. I'm 90% sure there was an enquiry that returned a verdict of death by misadventure.

KdyHby
11-04-2012, 07:18 AM

RIP George, gone but not forgotten

HIBERNIAN-0762
11-04-2012, 08:09 AM

They were Moroccan's, shower of animals, even standing around our hotel waiting on us coming out, the hotel staff sussed this right away and within minutes half a dozen gigantic cops with batons soon got them on their merry way.

Davy Mac
11-04-2012, 10:15 AM
RIP Paul, gone but not forgotten

Can't remember now if it was Liege 89 or Anderlecht 92 but George Crook was the other chap I think, old school chum of mine.

Tragic, absolutely tragic.

ZIBBY'SGLOVES
11-04-2012, 10:51 AM

Hmmm and me and my mates spent about 10hrs in a cell coz of it :faf: ****** polis thought it was us, sure I've mentioned this in a thread before . As for the trouble in the central square, some doo lally bam pots from thier place came in at one corner, the Hibs support of all types shouted boo and they ran away, not a knuckle duster or machette in sight.

lord bunberry
11-04-2012, 10:51 AM
We got a bus from tollcross some boy donnie ran it from a grocers there. Memories of a long bus trip watching vhs clips of hibs goals and folk spewing up the bus aisles. Saw rangers fans at dover, got pashed in the square then onto their concrete bunker where we had fc liege fans in beside us with a big banner ! Great trip pity we lost out in the end. Was in the "away" end at the home game as well great atmosphere !!!

I was on that bus was only 17 at the time and was worried someone might say something about us drinking my fears were quickly laid to rest

andy1875
11-04-2012, 11:28 AM
I was on that bus was only 17 at the time and was worried someone might say something about us drinking my fears were quickly laid to rest

Sure they will have been! :wink: Don is still Hibs daft and a right good lad.

I was also in the away end for the home leg, ahhh good times eh!

southfieldhibby
11-04-2012, 12:06 PM
Went on the Independent East Coast from Le Nip Royale.

Surely the biggest rag tag collective of Hibs supporters ever assembled.

Dashing Bob S
11-04-2012, 01:59 PM
They were Moroccan's, shower of animals, even standing around our hotel waiting on us coming out, the hotel staff sussed this right away and within minutes half a dozen gigantic cops with batons soon got them on their merry way.

There had been a lot of attacks by local right-wing skinheads on Moroccans leading up to the game, and the local press had been stirring it up, portraying Hibs fans as some sort of neo-nazi hooligan thug cult.

Not justifying the behavior of Moroccan youths who were definitely out for blood (I was personally involved in a rather unsavoury confrontation) but the usual press hysteria precipitated a lot of the bother.

Andy74
11-04-2012, 03:57 PM
It was a different Bosman and in any case the man you think you saw certaintly didn't ruin football. What he did was establish that footballers have the same rights as other people when moving job.

It was the same Jean Marc Bosman, however, it was a different game, against Liege.

keithkeith
11-04-2012, 04:24 PM

It's old age! Apologies if that wasn't the same Bosman. Yes, he did give players the same rights as others but indirectly it led to too much power going to footballers and agents. Having seen football budgets first hand, the ruling transformed finances and catapulted TV money towards their pockets. Nevertheless, I had a great trip to Brussels. Would be good to do it again!

HUTCHYHIBBY
11-04-2012, 04:28 PM
Belgium coming up soon for a Tartan Army trip, lovely jubbly!

I keep hearing about Belgium being boring, never noticed so far!

cal-d hibs
11-04-2012, 06:18 PM
RIP Paul, gone but not forgotten

Didn't know George but knew 'Tago' from the games.

RIP lads.

Never forgotton.

Hibernia Na Eir
11-04-2012, 07:21 PM
That was a great Hibs team. We deserved to go through, not them. Was in the Dunbar end that evening. Was a great atmosphere.

Brussels was magic. Stayed in a s****y hotel and there was much fun going on! Some scary moments before the game in Grand Plaza, fighting breaking out all over wi Hibs boys and locals. Bit mad after game too. Didnt feel that safe. But one of our better away trips :thumbsup:
The glory days:agree:

eastmainsmsh
11-04-2012, 08:49 PM
John Bosman ex ajax and Holland striker it was ... also a young Luc Nillis the guy who had horrific leg break at aston villa :aok:

Iggy Pope
11-04-2012, 11:50 PM

Can just about understand the Stella having an affect on the ethnicity surrounding Turks and Morrocans, but Anderlecht are Dutch?

Nakedmanoncrack
12-04-2012, 05:50 AM
To be fair, from my memory the prime example of cheats in that team was the Dutch Peter Van Vossen.

Can just about understand the Stella having an affect on the ethnicity surrounding Turks and Morrocans, but Anderlecht are Dutch?

andudare2
12-04-2012, 08:33 AM
Went on the Independent East Coast from Le Nip Royale.

Surely the biggest rag tag collective of Hibs supporters ever assembled. OI. i resemble that remark :agree::flag::flag::flag:

southfieldhibby
12-04-2012, 10:25 AM
OI. i resemble that remark :agree::flag::flag::flag:

:aok: A cheeky wee combo of the tones and http://www.champersgroup.com/productmedia/pisang-ambon-liqueur.jpg made for an unforgettable journey.I've never been so happy to get home in ma puff.

Went on plenty of games with IEC, a good bunch of lads.

Speedway
12-04-2012, 10:28 AM
We fair gave them a game that night.

Is that Phillipe Albert at CH for them?

andudare2
12-04-2012, 11:35 AM
:aok: A cheeky wee combo of the tones and http://www.champersgroup.com/productmedia/pisang-ambon-liqueur.jpg made for an unforgettable journey.I've never been so happy to get home in ma puff.

Went on plenty of games with IEC, a good bunch of lads. i think the debate on here re. the st.pats video would have been a tad moot on that bus eh!:greengrin:flag::flag::flag:

francobaresi
12-04-2012, 04:29 PM
I was in the mob down sarf and borrowed mates car to drive up weds lunchtime... Managed game and head back down to camp, missed first parade, got in the sheit for it but was worth it... Great night...

GGTTH

jodjam
12-04-2012, 05:24 PM
Didn't know George but knew 'Tago' from the games.

RIP lads.

Never forgotton.

I was in the group traveling with "tee-go" from Drylaw. Scary to think it was so long ago.

The "rip paul" message earlier was a strange one

Jonnyboy
12-04-2012, 07:16 PM
We fair gave them a game that night.

Is that Phillipe Albert at CH for them?

:agree:

Return game was ace. Was in the upper tier behind the goals and it looked like the folk in the lower tier were crammed in like sardines.

Stantons Angel
12-04-2012, 07:48 PM
I was in the bottom tier that night and it was pandemonium!
The atmosphere though was fantastic but scary too. The Belgium police were not very responsive to our pleas to open the gates and let us spread around a bit. i got stuck down the front with the "casuals" and could hardly see anything up the other end of the pitch!
A brilliant trip with so many memories of a great time with great friends. My son still has the White/Purple strip i brought him back from my travels.

fatbloke
12-04-2012, 11:01 PM
I took a bus from East Lothian mixed in with a few outsiders. we played no cheating bingo and light hearted quizzes on a bus safely free of cannabis and alcohol and no sexual shenanigans and nobody threw up or wet themselves. The ferry crossing was alcohol free and filled with happy people singing quaint folk songs. The whole Brussels experience was incident free - no violence, no hookers, no shoplifting, no bedrooms trashed, definitely no substance misuse of any kind and yes everyone made the game. At least that is how I remember things to have been. Also anyone who knows me knows I would never never lie. Sadly there are quite a few who made that trip who are no longer with us, RIP one and all.

Sadly the first and last sentence and this one are the only accurate ones in this post