PDA

View Full Version : Ian Murray quote......Fact or Fiction......

alfieboi75
10-04-2012, 03:47 PM
Came across this comment on BBC website....related to Scottish football gossip page....

Hibernian midfielder Ian Murray thinks the club's fans would prefer to end their 110-year wait to win the Scottish Cup than avoid relegation from the Scottish Premier League. (Various)

Us Club fans would like both Ian....avoid relegation and win the Scottish Cup! FULL STOP!!!!

:pfgwa

HibbyAndy
10-04-2012, 03:48 PM
Fiction.

Andy74
10-04-2012, 03:50 PM
It's nonsense.

I think we've largely accepted our Scopttish Cup recird in good spirits. It'd be nice to win but it seems that the Yams like to make a bigger deal of it than it actually bothers us.

This sort of thing makes it look like it's all that matters to us.

There's no danger I'd accept relegation for the Scottish Cup.

Viva_Palmeiras
10-04-2012, 03:53 PM
Headline schmedline
Last part of his quote is "if we win the cup and stay up it would be fantastic"

Case/panic closed ;)

3pm
10-04-2012, 04:02 PM
Also quoted as saying some of the players would accept it too.

cabbageandribs1875
10-04-2012, 04:04 PM
Came across this comment on BBC website....related to Scottish football gossip page....

Hibernian midfielder Ian Murray thinks the club's fans would prefer to end their 110-year wait to win the Scottish Cup than avoid relegation from the Scottish Premier League. (Various)

Us Club fans would like both Ian....avoid relegation and win the Scottish Cup! FULL STOP!!!!

:pfgwa

it bothers the yamboids more than it does this hibby :wink:

hibee92
10-04-2012, 04:06 PM
It's nonsense.

I think we've largely accepted our Scopttish Cup recird in good spirits. It'd be nice to win but it seems that the Yams like to make a bigger deal of it than it actually bothers us.

Bang on. :agree:

Hibbyradge
10-04-2012, 04:17 PM
I'm not so sure it's fiction.

"There are some who want to talk us into looking down not up, even trading failure in the League for success in the Cup."

Who recently said that?

Jones28
10-04-2012, 04:57 PM
I'd see Hibs get relegated for the Scottish cup, win it for the first time in years and get a wee adventure thrown in! :greengrin Plus we'd more than likely come straight back up again :greengrin

Robinho08
10-04-2012, 04:58 PM
If we got relagated, winning the Scottish would soften the blow. But otherwise no would rather stay up.

Viva_Palmeiras
10-04-2012, 05:03 PM
It was in the Metro btw and as quoted but a heck of a lot more than just that - goes on to say that the directors would tear their hair out. Seems to be same interview quoted in the DR

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/2012/04/10/ian-murray-the-romantics-at-hibs-would-rather-win-the-scottish-cup-than-beat-relegation-86908-23820116/

Franck Stanton
10-04-2012, 05:07 PM
I'd see Hibs get relegated for the Scottish cup, win it for the first time in years and get a wee adventure thrown in! :greengrin Plus we'd more than likely come straight back up again :greengrin

Oh Really . Win a wee shiny thing, get relegated, lose a BIG wad o' cash [both tv and fans s/t and attendance], fail to attract quality players and you call this " adventure" acceptable ? To top it all of, IMO we wouldn't come straight back up, just ask Dundee how hard it is to escape the SFL. We don't have the likes of Sauzee, Latapy, Mixu this time around, so NO I WOULDN'T ACCEPT RELEGATION IN ORDER TO WIN THE SCOTTISH CUP.

Jim44
10-04-2012, 05:18 PM
Two separate polls on Hibs.net concluded that a majority of 2 to 1 favoured a Cup win at the expense of relegation. Unbelievable but true.

hibeenicol
10-04-2012, 05:20 PM
I would accept relegation if it meant we won the scottish cup, I would also probably renew my season ticket if we got relegated as well as I'm that much fed up with the SPL. Also last time round we were winning nearly every game.

:pfgwa:pfgwa

chrisski33
10-04-2012, 05:21 PM
Its in the scotsman too

snooky
10-04-2012, 06:07 PM
Its in the scotsman too

FFS everybody, we've already won that cup before.
Been there, done it. Let's move on.
:greengrin

:hibees

matty_f
10-04-2012, 06:09 PM
I'd take another 110 years without winning the cup if it meant we were in the top flight the entire time. Baws to relegation!

Pretty Boy
10-04-2012, 06:11 PM
Staying up for me.

Our record in the cup is just one of those strange quirks in football. I'd love us to win it obviously but i dont lie awake at night worrying about it.

The premier league is our bread and butter, its our financial future and that in turn is how we will improve so we don't have more seasons like the last couple.

Holmesdale Hibs
10-04-2012, 06:54 PM
Cup for me, especially as it would involve beating one of the ****miest teams on the planet.

Obviously relegation would be terrible but it'd be a price worth paying IMO. The actual experience in the first division wasn't that bad and, if we won the cup, the celebrations would make up for the disappointment on the day.

I'd rather stay up than win the CIS cup though.

Jones28
10-04-2012, 07:14 PM
Oh Really . Win a wee shiny thing, get relegated, lose a BIG wad o' cash [both tv and fans s/t and attendance], fail to attract quality players and you call this " adventure" acceptable ? To top it all of, IMO we wouldn't come straight back up, just ask Dundee how hard it is to escape the SFL. We don't have the likes of Sauzee, Latapy, Mixu this time around, so NO I WOULDN'T ACCEPT RELEGATION IN ORDER TO WIN THE SCOTTISH CUP.

Opinions eh? I'm not saying I want it to happen, but if we were to get relegated it would make almost bearable.

And Div.1 football would mean no Old Firm, no Sky TV, kick off's at 3 o'clock on a saturday, old school grounds, proper away-days, not a massive drop quality.

It would be acceptable if we won the cup, for me, doesn't have to be acceptable for you. Dundee couldn't escape the SFL because they're ****ed financially. If we were relegated it put a fire up the arse of our board to sign some proper quality. And FWIW this current team witha couple of additions would waltz through the SFL. Nae bother, O'Connor and Griffiths up against Partick Thistle and Raith Rovers? Not a problem.

But it's not going to happen so don't worry. We won't get relegated and we're still in with a chance of the cup, so think about it before ripping into a light hearted post eh?

lord bunberry
10-04-2012, 07:30 PM
The most worrying thing if true is that our club captain is coming out with this sort of thing it sends out completely the wrong message relegation for a club like hibs is unthinkable its fine for fans to have the cup or relegation debate but it shouldn't be even mentioned within the club. I hope his remarks were made tounge in cheek

BEEJ
10-04-2012, 07:48 PM
It's nonsense.

:agree: Couldn't agree more.

No comparison - if it has to be one or the other, then the preferred option has to be SPL survival.

matty_f
10-04-2012, 08:07 PM
:agree: Couldn't agree more.

No comparison - if it has to be one or the other, then the preferred option has to be SPL survival.

:agree: Every single time.

Viva_Palmeiras
10-04-2012, 08:41 PM
The most worrying thing if true is that our club captain is coming out with this sort of thing it sends out completely the wrong message relegation for a club like hibs is unthinkable its fine for fans to have the cup or relegation debate but it shouldn't be even mentioned within the club. I hope his remarks were made tounge in cheek

Link to said article with quotes above. Read it, make yer own mind up - job done! ;)

Dinkydoo
10-04-2012, 09:00 PM
I'd take another 110 years without winning the cup if it meant we were in the top flight the entire time. Baws to relegation!

Amen to that.

Albion Hibs
10-04-2012, 09:57 PM
If I was given the choice I would take the cup and go down no problem.

Eyrie
10-04-2012, 10:01 PM
If I was given the choice I would take the cup and go down no problem.
Me too.

Fortunately we don't have to worry about the latter any more.

PatHead
10-04-2012, 10:29 PM
Best scenario would be win the Cup, get relegated, Rangers get bumped and we get re-instated. Sorted

madabouthibs
10-04-2012, 10:33 PM
Tricky one this.
If winning the cup mean't we beat Hearts in the final then yes, I'd definitely take the relegation hit. :agree:
If we stay up, but Celtic or Aberdeen won the cup then I wouldn't be as devastated.

I always think the longer we go without winning the cup, the bigger the party will be when we do! :thumbsup:

hibb1
10-04-2012, 10:49 PM
Im all for the sc and avoiding relegation ive got 50 on it wi jambo mate 25 for each😄

ballengeich
11-04-2012, 12:32 AM
Two separate polls on Hibs.net concluded that a majority of 2 to 1 favoured a Cup win at the expense of relegation. Unbelievable but true.

The unbelievable thing is that one Hibs supporter in three would throw away the Scottish Cup, which we've wanted for more than a century, a prize that neither the Famous Five nor Turnbull's Tornados could deliver, for a few Sunday lunchtime tv games next season. I've followed Hibs in division 1 and would do so again. I haven't seen them win the cup. Shame on the minority.

IWasThere2016
11-04-2012, 07:14 AM
Cup for me, especially as it would involve beating one of the ****miest teams on the planet.

Obviously relegation would be terrible but it'd be a price worth paying IMO. The actual experience in the first division wasn't that bad and, if we won the cup, the celebrations would make up for the disappointment on the day.

I'd rather stay up than win the CIS cup though.

We are in the minority. I WANT THE SC!!! NOW!!! PETRIE!!! :grr:

Phil MaGlass
11-04-2012, 08:40 AM
I still dont think there will be relegation for any club this year, so it doesnae matter, we will win the cup against the yams in the final.
But I would take the Cup and relegation

BEEJ
11-04-2012, 08:46 AM
The unbelievable thing is that one Hibs supporter in three would throw away the Scottish Cup, which we've wanted for more than a century, a prize that neither the Famous Five nor Turnbull's Tornados could deliver, for a few Sunday lunchtime tv games next season. I've followed Hibs in division 1 and would do so again. I haven't seen them win the cup. Shame on the minority.
It's the failure to understand the financial consequences to the club of relegation that is mind-boggling.

As is the tacit assumption that we would get back up to the SPL at the first time of asking.

Ritchie
11-04-2012, 09:22 AM
Cup by a country mile for me. :agree:

Hibbyradge
11-04-2012, 09:46 AM
I can't believe folk are getting excited by this discussion.

It's purely hypothetical.

No-one is going to trade one for the other. It's just not possible to do that.

Anyway, in the event, neither will happen.

ginger_rice
11-04-2012, 10:11 AM

I agree with the bit in bold.

For me priority no1 is we stay in the top flight, we improve in performance and league position each subsequent season, regular top 4 position, european competition, improved attendances, we then can attract better players and/or retain better players, the silverware will follow. It's confident consistent clubs which win most, and that's what we need to be more than anything else.

Jim44
11-04-2012, 10:41 AM
I agree with the bit in bold.

For me priority no1 is we stay in the top flight, we improve in performance and league position each subsequent season, regular top 4 position, european competition, improved attendances, we then can attract better players and/or retain better players, the silverware will follow. It's confident consistent clubs which win most, and that's what we need to be more than anything else.

:agree: Absolutely on the nail. I couldn't have expressed it better.

Kato
11-04-2012, 10:56 AM

It's called "the internet". Hypothetical discussions become the be all and end all. As well as that speculation becomes rumour, rumour is taken as fact. More often than not, human nature being what it is, negative rumours are taken on board as being "FACT, END OFF", so trying to argue otherwise becomes a fruitless task as most people who take on rumours as "FACT, END OFF" are generally angry bammers.

There were the guys from the Hibeesbounce who deliberately started a fake rumour in a boozer on the Irish tour a couple of years ago. They posted it from their phones - it was being regurgitated back at them from others reading on their's within minutes and was in the papers by the following Monday and is probably remembered to this day as "FACT, END OFF" by some.

It would be fun if it weren't so negative.

You're a right downer, FACT, END OFF . :cb

Keith_M
11-04-2012, 11:16 AM

:agree:

We're not going down and we're not going to win the cup. Anybody that thinks differently, I'd happily take a 100 quid bet with the money going to the Dnipro appeal.

Gatecrasher
11-04-2012, 11:34 AM
Winning the Scottish cup would be the best day supporting Hibs ever!!!!
avoiding relegation is just another season. What one would you remember? :hmmm:

allezsauzee
11-04-2012, 11:41 AM
It's only because the Yams would have nothing to sing about that makes me want us to win the Scottish Cup more than avoid relegation. Although the rest of my life would probably be a bit of an anti-climax if we beat those tossers in the final!

superfurryhibby
11-04-2012, 11:43 AM
My family have supported Hibs for decades, there are at least five generations of fans in our personal history. My Grandad was lucky enough to see the sides of the forties and early fifties winning the league. I My auld man only saw the two league cup wins (1972 & 92 -dates?). I have enjoyed three league cup victories and suffered two relegations.

I do sometimes speculate that I might only have twenty-thirty scottish cup campaigns left in me and that it might never happen. That frightens me!

I would live with relegation anyday if there could be a trade off that we take the Cup. It would be the greatest day (outwith family) in my life, no question.

I suspect that folk who say no to the scottish cup concept are younger Hibees?. The fear of never seeing it hasn't matured fully. It's not about one upmanship and bowing to Jamboid slagging etc, frankly that doesn't mean ****** to me. It is the holy grail for us, nothing else we can do would come close. Even thinking about it sent a shiver down my spine.

Please God let me see it, just once would do.

Jim44
11-04-2012, 11:47 AM
My family have supported Hibs for decades, there are at least five generations of fans in our personal history. My Grandad was lucky enough to see the sides of the forties and early fifties winning the league. I My auld man only saw the two league cup wins (1972 & 92 -dates?). I have enjoyed three league cup victories and suffered two relegations.

I do sometimes speculate that I might only have twenty-thirty scottish cup campaigns left in me and that it might never happen. That frightens me!

I would live with relegation anyday if there could be a trade off that we take the Cup. It would be the greatest day (outwith family) in my life, no question.

I suspect that folk who say no to the scottish cup concept are younger Hibees?. The fear of never seeing it hasn't matured fully. It's not about one upmanship and bowing to Jamboid slagging etc, frankly that doesn't mean ****** to me. It is the holy grail for us, nothing else we can do would come close. Even thinking about it sent a shiver down my spine.

Please God let me see it, just once would do.

I nearly fell from my zimmer when I read that. :greengrin

BEEJ
11-04-2012, 12:28 PM

We've been asked whether we agree or not with the Ian Murray quote. Was he correct in his assertion?

As the Ian Murray quote was itself hypothetical, then I think most of us get that point. :greengrin

Phrased as, "What is most important to the club this season, winning the Scottish Cup or avoiding relegation?" it becomes much the same debate, with different folks expressing and justifying their priorities.

Jim44
11-04-2012, 12:32 PM
We've been asked whether we agree or not with the Ian Murray quote. Was he correct in his assertion?

As the Ian Murray quote was itself hypothetical, then I think most of us get that point. :greengrin

Phrased as, "What is most important to the club this season, winning the Scottish Cup or avoiding relegation?" it becomes much the same debate, with different folks expressing and justifying their priorities.

:agree: A bit like discussing the relative merits of a sneeze and a fart.

matty_f
11-04-2012, 07:57 PM
:agree: A bit like discussing the relative merits of a sneeze and a fart.

Farts are better, a sneeze is just a nuisance whereas a fart is usually funny.:agree:

Franck Stanton
11-04-2012, 10:54 PM
Opinions eh? I'm not saying I want it to happen, but if we were to get relegated it would make almost bearable.

And Div.1 football would mean no Old Firm, no Sky TV, kick off's at 3 o'clock on a saturday, old school grounds, proper away-days, not a massive drop quality.

It would be acceptable if we won the cup, for me, doesn't have to be acceptable for you. Dundee couldn't escape the SFL because they're ****ed financially. If we were relegated it put a fire up the arse of our board to sign some proper quality. And FWIW this current team witha couple of additions would waltz through the SFL. Nae bother, O'Connor and Griffiths up against Partick Thistle and Raith Rovers? Not a problem.

But it's not going to happen so don't worry. We won't get relegated and we're still in with a chance of the cup, so think about it before ripping into a light hearted post eh?

Take a chill pill, yer right, it is all about opinions and in my opinion , relegation would be a disaster for us. Winning that big shiny thing and getting relegated would be a real bitter-sweet pill to swallow. You gave your reasons as to why you find it acceptable to win it and the "adventure" of 1st div football. I gave you my opinion on that, I would rather fore-go the " adventure". To be honest, IMO , I dont think we will do either of your options, we wont be relegated, and we wont win the cup, [ the semi-final is 50-50 and IF we do get to the final, then I'm afraid that either of the other two semi-finalist have proven that they can beat us without even getting out of 1st gear.] If you dont like the answers given - don't ask the question. We all have opinions, doesn't make us right however,

hibbiedon
12-04-2012, 09:59 AM
I dont care what people think or want, lets just win all our games that will do me GGTTH

:flag:

lord bunberry
12-04-2012, 10:15 AM
:agree:

We're not going down and we're not going to win the cup. Anybody that thinks differently, I'd happily take a 100 quid bet with the money going to the Dnipro appeal.

With an attitude like that what's the point in going to anymore games this season. I don't think we will be relegated but there is absolutely no reason why we can't win the semi final then it would be winner takes all in one match in the final anything is possible