PDA

View Full Version : Ricardo Vaz Te

keithkeith
09-04-2012, 07:55 PM
Scored twice for West Ham today. 5 goals in last 4 League games in the Championship.

7 in 11 appearances for West Ham, on top of 10 in 22 for Barnsley in the League earlier this season.

He seems to have found form since his solitary derby goal for us.

Quite amazing stats for Clayton Donaldson as well. 47 goals in 98 starts for Crewe and he's finding form again with Brentford.

We could do with a prolific strike duo again...!

LancashireHibby
09-04-2012, 07:59 PM
Vaz Te has always been capable of bursts of form like this and in fact he did similar for both Bolton and Barnsley and had a half-arsed attempt at it with us. He's never been capable of stretching it in to 10+ games of consistent performances though.

jgl07
09-04-2012, 08:10 PM
Scored twice for West Ham today. 5 goals in last 4 League games in the Championship.

7 in 11 appearances for West Ham, on top of 10 in 22 for Barnsley in the League earlier this season.

Quite amazing stats for Clayton Donaldson as well. 47 goals in 98 starts for Crewe and he's finding form again with Brentford.

Two more players who were 'not Hibs class' according to so on here.

Nando™
09-04-2012, 08:15 PM
Donaldson is crap.

Vaz Te simply did not care about the SPL.

stokesmessiah
09-04-2012, 08:21 PM
As sure as night follows day if Vaz Te scores there is a thread on here about it.

As has already been said in this thread and in countless others the fact he had talent was never in question his desire to play in the SPL for us always was. Time to move on.

Joe's ice cream
09-04-2012, 08:31 PM

100% agree, rather than just accept the facts as they are we are informed by those who know better to 'move on' as these stats start to disprove their original opinion that these guys weren't Hibs Class!!

jimmy-adjovi
09-04-2012, 08:37 PM
100% agree, rather than just accept the facts as they are we are informed by those who know better to 'move on' as these stats start to disprove their original opinion that these guys weren't Hibs Class!!

The same has been said about g o'connor on here. Also, At the time folk were saying vaz te is not hibs class, there was a thread demanding richie towell gets a deal. How fickle!

easty
09-04-2012, 08:56 PM

The same has been said about g o'connor on here. Also, At the time folk were saying vaz te is not hibs class, there was a thread demanding richie towell gets a deal. How fickle!

Do you people just choose to forget the performances Vaz Te put in when he was here? Woeful with only a few sporadic moments of class. But why let actual history get in the way of an imagined past.

PeterboroHibee
09-04-2012, 09:02 PM
Vaz Te has always been capable of bursts of form like this and in fact he did similar for both Bolton and Barnsley and had a half-arsed attempt at it with us. He's never been capable of stretching it in to 10+ games of consistent performances though.

19 goals in 35 games playing for 2 Championship teams this season suggests otherwise. He clearly wasnt fit last season but the potential was definitely there. If I recall correctly we signed Agogo instead of him...

PaulSmith
09-04-2012, 09:17 PM
Vaz Te had no intention of playing with Hibs any further than the length of his short deal.
He saw it as a chance to play games and nothing more.

Kaiser1962
09-04-2012, 09:29 PM
19 goals in 35 games playing for 2 Championship teams this season suggests otherwise. He clearly wasnt fit last season but the potential was definitely there. If I recall correctly we signed Agogo instead of him...

And 5 goals in his previous 82 games.

keithkeith
09-04-2012, 10:30 PM
I'm not actually suggesting we should have kept either of the two, just saying he's found form. Both have. Maybe it's the service they are / were getting, so they get more chances or do they have a quality strike partner they work well with? Just saying we miss having someone that can bang in 20+ goals, like Stokes and Riordan. It's one of the reasons we are where we are...

Jones28
09-04-2012, 10:49 PM
As far as Vaz Te is concerned he did not care at all. He scored a goal for us against Hearts and that was it.

Donaldson, well I wondered about him when he first arrived. He had a good record with York(I think) and came here, maybe he had too much pressure on him? Who knows, fair play to him as he seems to have kicked on and not let it get to him :agree:

jgl07
09-04-2012, 11:00 PM
I'm not actually suggesting we should have kept either of the two, just saying he's found form. Both have. Maybe it's the service they are / were getting, so they get more chances or do they have a quality strike partner they work well with? Just saying we miss having someone that can bang in 20+ goals, like Stokes and Riordan. It's one of the reasons we are where we are...

If I recall correctly, the reason given for selling Stokes was that John Hughes wanted the cash to sign Darryl Duffy.

That sums up Hibs' approach to signing strikers.

Andy74
10-04-2012, 09:45 AM
If I recall correctly, the reason given for selling Stokes was that John Hughes wanted the cash to sign Darryl Duffy.

No, that sums up the type of nonsense that some people believe!!

Pretty Boy
10-04-2012, 09:53 AM
No, that sums up the type of nonsense that some people believe!!

Half a chance to have a go at the club or fans and some folk are all over it.

No facts necessary.

blackpoolhibs
10-04-2012, 10:01 AM

You are wrong, it was to free some money up for a bid for Lionel Messi, we just missed out on him, then turned our attention to Duffy.

--------
10-04-2012, 10:42 AM
Vaz Te, Donaldson - what about Stephen Dobbie? He's doing not too badly, either.

Not Hibs class, of course.

Sometimes I think it's just about whether the player's "good enough" - it's about how he fits in with the other players, how the manager expects him to fit into the team, the state of the club when he arrives, all sorts of things. Whether the fans take to him quickly, or decide he's a waste of space after a couple of games.

Maybe even whether the manager who signs him actually cares about the club and the team and wants to be there ...

Case in point - Paul Hartley. No question of his ability, but he didn't show it at ER. Colin Nish?

The Sea-gull
10-04-2012, 11:27 AM
Got to love these Vaz Te threads.

Yes he has had a good season.

Yes, it does appear that he was not fit enough or interested enough or both when he played for Hibs thus only showing his talent in flashes.

No, we didn't try to sign him as far as I recall CC said it was not one that either party were interested in taking further.

The assertion that we signed Agogo instead is not strictly true; Vaz Te was long gone by this point. IIRC we signed Agogo instead of Sheridan. As bad , if not a worse, decision though.

Also on selling Stokes to sign Duffy. Just don't think that is true. Yogi actually said he wanted Duffy and Stokes to play together so doesn't really suggest that Stokes was sold to sign Duffy. Stokes was sold because he wanted to go and a team made a satisfactory bid for him. Has happened before and will happen again. The timing of the Stokes sale was questionable but sometimes clubs like ours have to take the money when it is offered.

All my interpretation and opinion of course.

--------
10-04-2012, 11:38 AM
Got to love these Vaz Te threads.

Yes he has had a good season.

Yes, it does appear that he was not fit enough or interested enough or both when he played for Hibs thus only showing his talent in flashes.

No, we didn't try to sign him as far as I recall CC said it was not one that either party were interested in taking further.

The assertion that we signed Agogo instead is not strictly true; Vaz Te was long gone by this point. IIRC we signed Agogo instead of Sheridan. As bad , if not a worse, decision though.

Also on selling Stokes to sign Duffy. Just don't think that is true. Yogi actually said he wanted Duffy and Stokes to play together so doesn't really suggest that Stokes was sold to sign Duffy. Stokes was sold because he wanted to go and a team made a satisfactory bid for him. Has happened before and will happen again. The timing of the Stokes sale was questionable but sometimes clubs like ours have to take the money when it is offered.

All my interpretation and opinion of course.

Another thought regarding Stokes - going on his past form, supposing we had decided to play hardball and hold him to his contract?

Am I being too too utterly cynical in supposing that dear Anthony might have taken the huff, gone on a bender, and played the square root of NO FOOTBALL WHATSOEVER for us until he got his move?

And/or started another Thomson/Brown-type "Hibs are holding me to ransom" series of articles in the Daily Rancid? :rolleyes:

And that Rod Petrie and John Hughes knew very well that this was a distinct possibility?

Players move on for various reasons. For some, the move proves to be a career-saver, while others disappear without trace. And others carry on, but at clubs we don't know much about - Benji, for instance, now playing in Morocco for Fez.

jgl07
10-04-2012, 11:59 AM
Another thought regarding Stokes - going on his past form, supposing we had decided to play hardball and hold him to his contract?

Am I being too too utterly cynical in supposing that dear Anthony might have taken the huff, gone on a bender, and played the square root of NO FOOTBALL WHATSOEVER for us until he got his move?

And/or started another Thomson/Brown-type "Hibs are holding me to ransom" series of articles in the Daily Rancid? :rolleyes:

And that Rod Petrie and John Hughes knew very well that this was a distinct possibility?

I still think that Stokes was sold far too cheaply.

Yes Thomson and to a lesser extent Brown did conduct a war with Hibs via the Daily Record but consider this.

At the start of this process Rangers offered £2 million for the pair of them. They eventually got that for Thomson alone and Brown went for £4 million plus to Celtic.

Hib should have played hardball. If a striker wants a big move the only way to ensure that is to score goals. Sulking on the sidelines will get you nowhere. Even Carlos Tevez eventually realized that. And Stokes is no Carlos Tevez!

allezsauzee
10-04-2012, 11:59 AM
I'm sorry but Clayton Donaldson is not good enough for Hibs and just because because he's banged in a few goals in the lower leagues in England doesn't mean he is. As much as the SPL is maligned, Crewe and Brentford is not the standard we are looking for. Vaz Te is undoubtably talented and showed it at times with us. I think he was still getting a bit of match fitness last season. I would have liked to see us sign him on a longer contract but if he wasn't interested then it's niether here nor there.

jdships
10-04-2012, 12:35 PM
If what we witnessed on the TV last Friday is typical the guy is a lucky man to be in the starting XI at WH.
The number of times he fell over is feet/ball was something else.
Sure there is a footballer in there somewhere :confused::rolleyes:
No loss for Hibs IMO

superfurryhibby
10-04-2012, 01:16 PM
I'm sorry but Clayton Donaldson is not good enough for Hibs and just because because he's banged in a few goals in the lower leagues in England doesn't mean he is. As much as the SPL is maligned, Crewe and Brentford is not the standard we are looking for. Vaz Te is undoubtably talented and showed it at times with us. I think he was still getting a bit of match fitness last season. I would have liked to see us sign him on a longer contract but if he wasn't interested then it's niether here nor there.

Based on what we saw of him, there is no way VazTe merited a deal.

I take your point about Donaldson but only up to a point. He had the credentials that made him the kind of player Hibs are probably limited to. Young, pace and a goalscoring record, albeit at a lower level. At least he has a goalscoring record, Junior Agogo on the other hand did not!

easty
10-04-2012, 01:23 PM
Based on what we saw of him, there is no way VazTe merited a deal.

I take your point about Donaldson but only up to a point. He had the credentials that made him the kind of player Hibs are probably limited to. Young, pace and a goalscoring record, albeit at a lower level. At least he has a goalscoring record, Junior Agogo on the other hand did not!

Nah.

Agogo had a good few years with a good record, from 2002 up until he joined Hibs Wikipedia has him down as having played 268 games, scoring 90 goals. That's 1 in 3 and pretty decent in my opinion. Donaldson, pre-Hibs, had managed one good season in the English conference.

Broken Gnome
10-04-2012, 01:43 PM
Barnsley on to West Ham on to possibly Premiership. I doubt he even remembers playing here.

easty
10-04-2012, 01:47 PM
Barnsley on to West Ham on to possibly Premiership. I doubt he even remembers playing here.

Well we have something in common then cos I barely remember him playing for us.

Baader
10-04-2012, 02:48 PM
Vaz Te would have had no interest hanging around if we'd signed him.

Remember when we had Didier Agathe and he came out with a 'it's not me that's on trial, it's Hibs' type remark. Vaz Te struck me as similar - doubt he'd still be with us even if we had signed him...

NORTHERNHIBBY
10-04-2012, 03:13 PM
Threads like these are getting close to self harm and are utterly pointless. If anyone thinks that it was actually acceptable watching Vaz Te slouching around in a Hibs top, using our club as a way to get fit while publicly not giving a Donald Duck about anything remotely connected to Hibernian FC, then come on a say it now.
Jesus wept.:yawn::yawn:

--------
10-04-2012, 03:34 PM
Threads like these are getting close to self harm and are utterly pointless. If anyone thinks that it was actually acceptable watching Vaz Te slouching around in a Hibs top, using our club as a way to get fit while publicly not giving a Donald Duck about anything remotely connected to Hibernian FC, then come on a say it now.

I think for myself it's a bit like picking at a scab - I find myself doing it without thinking, really.

Point taken, however. :agree:

Andy74
10-04-2012, 03:41 PM

Funny we seem to have this view on just about everyone though eh? At what point is it possible that some Hibs fans might not be the best judges of these things?

LancashireHibby
10-04-2012, 07:35 PM
I saw more than enough of him in his years at Bolton to know that he has a huge amount of natural ability, accompanied by a heart the size of a pea and even less desire.

Kaiser1962
10-04-2012, 08:17 PM

Thats not cynical Doddie, thats exactly what would have happend.

Northernhibee
12-04-2012, 06:13 PM
Vaz Te properly couldn't give a **** when he played for us, so not fussed about the whole affair.

Depressingly, he's the last player to wear the green and white to score against the yams.