PDA

View Full Version : A total lack of respect for Hibs and Aberdeen

Pretty Boy
09-04-2012, 04:14 PM
In a moment of madness I picked up a copy of the Daily Record this morning. Inside the football pull out is a section called the Monday Jury which feature 4 pundits being asked various questions about Scottish football.

This weeks bunch of jokers were Hugh Keevins, Gordon Parks, Craig Swan and Scott McDermott. Question 1 was Will Hearts, Hibs or Aberdeen win the Scottish Cup.

Now I'm quite willing to accept Celtic are favourites, rightly so, but the arrogance of some of the answers was stunning. 'The real cup final takes place this Sunday', 'the winner of Hearts v Celtic will be winners in waiting for weeks', ' one look at the table tells you the winner will definitely come from this Sundays semi final', 'Hibs or Aberdeen have no chance if they got Celtic in the final'.

Those are just a few of the unbelievably arrogant answers. First off have these fools already forgot the League Cup final of a couple of weeks ago when Kilmarnock beat Celtic, have they forgotten Celtic getting humbled by Ross County last year, have they failed to notice how inconsistent Hearts are.

Don't get me wrong I'm not stupid and I realise the winner of Sundays game will rightly be favourites for the trophy but Hibs and Aberdeen have been thouroughly professional in the cup and deserve to be in the semi final and whoever wins on Saturday will deserve to be in the final every bit as much as Hearts or Celtic.

These attitudes just show a total lack of respect to Hibs and Aberdeen, to suggest Hearts or Celtic merely have to turn up in May is not only disrespectful, its sheer stupidity given the events of the League Cup final.

It appears Hibs and Aberdeeb are fair games for the media the last couple of years. I would love it just that little bit more if we walk up this Hampden steps as cup winners this year.

chrisski33
09-04-2012, 04:17 PM
very disrespectful but can i ask why do you read he dr? ;-)

Pretty Boy
09-04-2012, 04:19 PM
very disrespectful but can i ask why do you read he dr? ;-)

I don't. It was sitting on the bus this morning so picked it up.

Never again. Total rag of a paper.

matty_f
09-04-2012, 04:23 PM
To be fair, they've been asked their opinions and anyone looking at the ties objectively would no doubt come to the same conclusion. Celtc have taken loads of goals off us this season, and the Yams have won every game between us at a canter.

At The Edge
09-04-2012, 04:24 PM
I don't. It was sitting on the bus this morning so picked it up.

Never again. Total rag of a paper.

a tad harsh on rags!
Rags serve a purpose, i.e mopping up drink spillages, the Daily Record has no purpose what so ever.:greengrin

greenginger
09-04-2012, 04:26 PM
To be fair, they've been asked their opinions and anyone looking at the ties objectively would no doubt come to the same conclusion. Celtc have taken loads of goals off us this season, and the Yams have won every game between us at a canter.

Celtic have not scored against us in Glasgow this Season ! :thumbsup:

smurf
09-04-2012, 04:30 PM
Same lot that no doubt dismissed Killie at Hampden a few weeks back.

Pretty Boy
09-04-2012, 04:32 PM

I accept we would be massive underdogs.

But to dismiss us as merely being there to make up the numbers is harsh. Strange things happen in cup finals and anything can happen on the day.

Sunday: Kilnarnock 0 Celtic 6

League Cup final: Kilmarnock 1 Celtic 0.

Points totals thus far:

Celtic 81, Kilmarnock 37.

After that to totally dismiss us or Aberdeen is disrespectful as it suggest Killie were lucky ance lightning won't strike twice, that's not how I saw that game, I saw Celtic fail to deal with the pressure of a final and fail to canter over the finish line at Ibrox a couple of weeks later.

We have a chance.

snooky
09-04-2012, 04:38 PM
TBH, the more they play us down and the more we are the underdogs the better I like it.
Some of the best results we've had have been when we turned up having "no chance".

No pre-match sabre rattling - all the talking to be done on the park, thank you.

Kato
09-04-2012, 04:41 PM
TBH, the more they play us down and the more we are the underdogs the better I like it.
Some of the best results we've had have been when we turned up having "no chance".

No pre-match sabre rattling - all the talking to be done on the park, thank you.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hibercelona
09-04-2012, 06:38 PM

Well said. :agree:

We're under no real pressure to win it, as nobody expects it.

Now lets be sneaky barstewards and win the cup! :wink:

CentreLine
09-04-2012, 06:40 PM
Celtic have not scored against us in Glasgow this Season ! :thumbsup:

And neither have hahahahearts so its all good :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

HUTCHYHIBBY
09-04-2012, 07:10 PM
Is there an official list of newspapers that are ok for .netters to read?

monktonharp
09-04-2012, 09:39 PM
Is there an official list of newspapers that are ok for .netters to read?No, but when it becomes availible,D.rantic will certainly be at the top, or thereabouts, for the list NOT to read.

yeezus.
09-04-2012, 09:51 PM
And Paul Harltey was on the front cover of "winner" with Alloa... they get the record at work.

woody47
09-04-2012, 10:00 PM
TBH I don't give two fecks what any rag from the west spouts out. Never read them, never will. Absolutely no idea why they even have the audacity to call the papers the Scottish anything when everyone knows it is the weege record, the weege sun etc.

Big Frank
09-04-2012, 10:02 PM

pretty much this.

Hibbyradge
09-04-2012, 10:19 PM
The red tops are terrible papers, but what should they have said?

Some bland, non-committal comment about every team having a chance cos after all it's only 11 against 11 and anything can happen in a one off?

Not for me. There won't be any smart money going on Hibs or Aberdeen to win the cup so they might as well tell it as it is.

It will make it all the sweeter if/when we do them! :wink:

Hibercelona
10-04-2012, 12:15 AM
The red tops are terrible papers, but what should they have said?

Some bland, non-committal comment about every team having a chance cos after all it's only 11 against 11 and anything can happen in a one off?

Not for me. There won't be any smart money going on Hibs or Aberdeen to win the cup so they might as well tell it as it is.

It will make it all the sweeter if/when we do them! :wink:

We will do them.

This is our year for sure! :agree:

SteveHFC
10-04-2012, 12:16 AM
We will do them.

This is our year for sure! :agree:

Well Said :top marks

Part/Time Supporter
10-04-2012, 06:12 AM
In a moment of madness I picked up a copy of the Daily Record this morning. Inside the football pull out is a section called the Monday Jury which feature 4 pundits being asked various questions about Scottish football.

This weeks bunch of jokers were Hugh Keevins, Gordon Parks, Craig Swan and Scott McDermott. Question 1 was Will Hearts, Hibs or Aberdeen win the Scottish Cup.

Now I'm quite willing to accept Celtic are favourites, rightly so, but the arrogance of some of the answers was stunning. 'The real cup final takes place this Sunday', 'the winner of Hearts v Celtic will be winners in waiting for weeks', ' one look at the table tells you the winner will definitely come from this Sundays semi final', 'Hibs or Aberdeen have no chance if they got Celtic in the final'.

Those are just a few of the unbelievably arrogant answers. First off have these fools already forgot the League Cup final of a couple of weeks ago when Kilmarnock beat Celtic, have they forgotten Celtic getting humbled by Ross County last year, have they failed to notice how inconsistent Hearts are.

Don't get me wrong I'm not stupid and I realise the winner of Sundays game will rightly be favourites for the trophy but Hibs and Aberdeen have been thouroughly professional in the cup and deserve to be in the semi final and whoever wins on Saturday will deserve to be in the final every bit as much as Hearts or Celtic.

These attitudes just show a total lack of respect to Hibs and Aberdeen, to suggest Hearts or Celtic merely have to turn up in May is not only disrespectful, its sheer stupidity given the events of the League Cup final.

It appears Hibs and Aberdeeb are fair games for the media the last couple of years. I would love it just that little bit more if we walk up this Hampden steps as cup winners this year.

Good. These same clowns were saying that Celtic had as good as won the treble after beating United at Tannadice in the quarter-final.

Oops.

joe breezy
10-04-2012, 06:26 AM
I would give the same opinion if I was asked who will win the Scottish Cup. I don't see how it's disrespectful to give an honest opinion.

It would be disrespectful if Hibs were currently 3rd in the league beating all comers but just sounds honest to me. Hearts just beat Aberdeen 3-0 and beat Hibs nearly every time we play.

Celtic are way ahead of both teams, if Hibs or Aberdeen win the Scottish cup it will take something special, it's possible though as Killie showed

NAE NOOKIE
10-04-2012, 06:48 AM
Just telling it like it is I suppose ... The truth is the truth no matter who says it.

C'mon the Hibees !!!

:flag::flag::flag:

Jim44
10-04-2012, 07:14 AM
Celtic's 6-0 win was a fluke result caused by Killie's disgraceful and greedy decision to give their stadium over to Celtic and invite them to come and ride roughshod all over them.

truehibernian
10-04-2012, 07:23 AM
Celtic's 6-0 win was a fluke result caused by Killie's disgraceful and greedy decision to give their stadium over to Celtic and invite them to come and ride roughshod all over them.

A greedy decision Jim that has paid for a new pitch and/or a couple of new players for next season. I would say a very wise decision.....they also consulted their support who were hugely in favour.

Killie are safe, definite bottom 6, so it was also a last big payday. I really don't think you can grudge Killie the opportunity to make a big bit of cash off the back of Celtic, especially in light of Rangers situation and their lack of integrity towards other clubs in the league.

Jim44
10-04-2012, 09:13 AM
[QUOTE=truehibernian;3174178]A greedy decision Jim that has paid for a new pitch and/or a couple of new players for next season. I would say a very wise decision.....they also consulted their support who were hugely in favour.

Killie are safe, definite bottom 6, so it was also a last big payday. I really don't think you can grudge Killie the opportunity to make a big bit of cash off the back of Celtic, especially in light of Rangers situation and their lack of integrity towards other clubs in the league.

I'm fully aware of their motives and the 'bottom line' outcome of their actions but I can't condone their hypocrisy at a time when, supposedly, the ten 'minnows' in the SPL were looking to take advantage of the present climate to reduce Rantic's power and duopoly and show that they could survive independently. In my book, what Killie did amounted to a doffing of the cap and a public acceptance that Celtic's and Rangers' financial 'draw' is indispensable. No bets for guessing what Killie will vote for if it ever comes down to a vote on the SPL 'restructuring'.

--------
10-04-2012, 11:31 AM
I'm fully aware of their motives and the 'bottom line' outcome of their actions but I can't condone their hypocrisy at a time when, supposedly, the ten 'minnows' in the SPL were looking to take advantage of the present climate to reduce Rantic's power and duopoly and show that they could survive independently. In my book, what Killie did amounted to a doffing of the cap and a public acceptance that Celtic's and Rangers' financial 'draw' is indispensable. No bets for guessing what Killie will vote for if it ever comes down to a vote on the SPL 'restructuring'.

I think you're being too hard on them. The game was on TV - I can't imagine they would have drawn more than around 5 or 6,000 to the stadium, and pictures of stands empty of home supporters and one away stand full of rampant Soapdodgers wouldn't exactly have told a better story than the one you're telling? 15,000 spectators means gate money around £300,000-350,000, over an above ST money already in the bank. That's the equivalent of selling one of their best players.

Back when I started watching Hibs, a game played in similar circumstances at ER would have attracted a huge crowd of Celtic fans, while TBH most Hibs fans would have stayed away. Who wants to be the target of a two-hour Soapie-gloat?

Kilmarnock suffer as much, actually more than we do from glory-hunters travelling up to Glasgow to Ibrox/Parkhead in stead of supporting their local team. I suspect that a good number of the Killie fans at Hampden for the Final were really Rangers fans (armchair or otherwise) who fancied a day out at Hampden and went hoping for a upset. Were Killie being hypocritical selling tickets to them?

It's one thing to earnestly desire a radical change in the way teh SPL is structured and run, but the fact is that without the OF in the League, there would be very little TV money and the SPL would be largely a part-time league. Changing that reality will be a lot harder than changing the voting rules.

Hibbyradge
10-04-2012, 11:50 AM
[QUOTE=truehibernian;3174178]A greedy decision Jim that has paid for a new pitch and/or a couple of new players for next season. I would say a very wise decision.....they also consulted their support who were hugely in favour.

I see it differently. They didn't doff their caps to anyone. They took advantage ofa favourable supply and demand position.

If Hibs, Aberdeen or, god forbid, the yams, were about to win the league at Rugby Park, the clamour for tickets would be enormous and I expect Killie would make the same arrangements for the away fans.

On your last point, I'm not aware that any of the "ten" have even hinted that the Old Firm's financial draw is dispensable. As far as I've read, they want the OF to stay, but with less power.

That's a completely different thing from saying that their money isn't important.

--------
10-04-2012, 11:53 AM
I see it differently. They didn't doff their caps to anyone. They took advantage of a favourable supply and demand position.

If Hibs, Aberdeen or, God forbid, the yams, were about to win the league at Rugby Park, the clamour for tickets would be enormous and I expect Killie would make the same arrangements for the away fans.

On your last point, I'm not aware that any of the "ten" have even hinted that the Old Firm's financial draw is dispensable. As far as I've read, they want the OF to stay, but with less power.

That's a completely different thing from saying that their money isn't important.

:agree:

Hibbyradge
10-04-2012, 11:54 AM
a two-hour Soapie

Now you're talking. :hide:

Onion
10-04-2012, 12:01 PM
That's the weedgie press for you - just don;t read it. And that's why everyone took such delight in Killie's cup win and Lennon's childish reaction :greengrin

There's only one way top shut em up.

Stevo1875
10-04-2012, 12:08 PM

please consider the time you have spent reading the dr add to that the time you spent writing about it and also the time i and others have spent reading your comment and replying.......... we will never get this time back.

i would like to propose that articles based on what the dr have said should be labelled with a warning. :rules: