PDA

View Full Version : Fickle Fans

HibeesLittleHel
09-04-2012, 09:53 AM
January 2010
We were 3rd in the league, pushing for second (according to the media) playedin front of crowds of 12k+.
Now, some 2 years down the line we are all bumping our gums at the poor qualityof football, the poor crowds, the lack of atmosphere and the injustice of themedia sponsored SPL "fixing" our kick off times to be the mostunreasonable in the league. SO here's me thinking what constitutes a fan?

The academic definition:
A Fan,sometimes also called aficionado or supporter, is a person with aliking and enthusiasm for something, such as a band, a sports team orentertainer.
Merriam-Webster,the Oxford dictionary and other recognized sources define it as a shortenedversion of the word fanatic, and the word did first become popular inreference to an enthusiastic follower of a baseball (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseball) team.(Fanatic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fanaticism)itself, introduced into English around 1550, means "marked by excessiveenthusiasm and often intense uncritical devotion". It comes from theModern Latin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_(language)) fanaticus, meaning "insanely butdivinely inspired".
Well based onthat, that’s not us is it?!!
OK some of us andI include me amongst these numbers would pay to watch the grass grow at Easter Road. Other who’s loyalty I’m sure is just asunbendable will criticise every aspect of non-perfection; from a misplaced passto a boardroom blunder, often unforgiving in their assault on a person or idealwith which they do not agree.
What bonds ustogether that fanatic of Hibs from both extremes is our desperation for the teamwe align ourselves with to do well. To be better than Hearts, to put one overon the old firm who’s resources even in these administration beguiled timesexceed our tenfold, to have a little taste of success and to get the monkeysoff our back.
This then comesdown to an appeal to every Hibs Fan whether slavishly loyal like me or openly criticalin the pursuit of success like others to get right behind the team (and I didmean to say that phrase) at this pivotal time. If EVER a club/institution/teamneeded our unequivocal support it’s right now. Start by buying a ticket forHampden next Saturday. Yup it’s a sh*t KO time [it devalues the romance/excitementand jolliness of a right good day out ], it’s on TV live and you can watch allthe action in comfort without the fear of someone p8ssing in your pocket! Butbuy the ticket, make a pal go if they’re dithering. Tell them IT IS MORE IMPORTANTthan L&D. Tell the wife you’re going out for a pint of milk but GET ALONGto Hampden, wear the green, support the team...the only team that’s worthsupporting. When I was young my dad did take me down to Easter Raod and now Itake my 2 sons. We look forward to seeing you there and cheering on the Hibeesin pursuit of the dream
Let’s makeHampden rock to our tune!
GGTH:greengrin

HibeesLittleHel
09-04-2012, 01:14 PM
Bought you're ticket yet? Persuaded a pal to go?
Come on! Shift yer earchie git a moveoan andg t tae Hampden to cheer on the Hibees!!!

NAE NOOKIE
09-04-2012, 01:21 PM
January 2010
We were 3rd in the league, pushing for second (according to the media) playedin front of crowds of 12k+.
Now, some 2 years down the line we are all bumping our gums at the poor qualityof football, the poor crowds, the lack of atmosphere and the injustice of themedia sponsored SPL "fixing" our kick off times to be the mostunreasonable in the league. SO here's me thinking what constitutes a fan?

The academic definition:
A Fan,sometimes also called aficionado or supporter, is a person with aliking and enthusiasm for something, such as a band, a sports team orentertainer.
Merriam-Webster,the Oxford dictionary and other recognized sources define it as a shortenedversion of the word fanatic, and the word did first become popular inreference to an enthusiastic follower of a baseball (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseball) team.(Fanatic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fanaticism)itself, introduced into English around 1550, means "marked by excessiveenthusiasm and often intense uncritical devotion". It comes from theModern Latin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_(language)) fanaticus, meaning "insanely butdivinely inspired".
Well based onthat, that’s not us is it?!!
OK some of us andI include me amongst these numbers would pay to watch the grass grow at Easter Road. Other who’s loyalty I’m sure is just asunbendable will criticise every aspect of non-perfection; from a misplaced passto a boardroom blunder, often unforgiving in their assault on a person or idealwith which they do not agree.
What bonds ustogether that fanatic of Hibs from both extremes is our desperation for the teamwe align ourselves with to do well. To be better than Hearts, to put one overon the old firm who’s resources even in these administration beguiled timesexceed our tenfold, to have a little taste of success and to get the monkeysoff our back.
This then comesdown to an appeal to every Hibs Fan whether slavishly loyal like me or openly criticalin the pursuit of success like others to get right behind the team (and I didmean to say that phrase) at this pivotal time. If EVER a club/institution/teamneeded our unequivocal support it’s right now. Start by buying a ticket forHampden next Saturday. Yup it’s a sh*t KO time [it devalues the romance/excitementand jolliness of a right good day out ], it’s on TV live and you can watch allthe action in comfort without the fear of someone p8ssing in your pocket! Butbuy the ticket, make a pal go if they’re dithering. Tell them IT IS MORE IMPORTANTthan L&D. Tell the wife you’re going out for a pint of milk but GET ALONGto Hampden, wear the green, support the team...the only team that’s worthsupporting. When I was young my dad did take me down to Easter Raod and now Itake my 2 sons. We look forward to seeing you there and cheering on the Hibeesin pursuit of the dream
Let’s makeHampden rock to our tune!
GGTH:greengrin

:top marks

Spike Mandela
09-04-2012, 01:57 PM
Got an academic definition of good football? It sure as hell ain't what us 'fans' have endured the past 3 years.

Albion Hibs
09-04-2012, 02:56 PM
Got an academic definition of good football? It sure as hell ain't what us 'fans' have endured the past 3 years.

The ones that moan about the standard of football will more often than not be the ones that sit back and watch it from there homes, not really a massive inconvienice for them. The same ones that moan about kick off times, and sit at home and watch the games at whatever time on a sunday afternoon. The ones that moan about wage thiefs, overpaid players, that are not good enough should hand back there wages, will again more often than not watch the game from home. They will moan about how much the board waste money, and should invest money, via there computer following a game they watched on sunday on the tv. I am not saying it is all the ones that stay home, but a decent percentage if this board is a gauge.

The question I have for them, is how much do they moan when sky take money out of their account each month. When they salavate over the standard of the massively underfunded EPL and the poorly paid players in the EPL.

I dont think we will take more than 15,000 next week. It will be interesting to see how many we take to the final if we were to get there, when the game is on tv, the same players are playing, the same manager is in charge, the game is on TV at a kick off time determind by SKY.

iwasthere1972
09-04-2012, 02:59 PM
OK some of us and I include me amongst these numbers would pay to watch the grass grow at Easter Road.

Stop giving Rodders ideas.

HibeesLittleHel
10-04-2012, 11:26 AM
Come on you lot! (Delia) Got your tickets yet? IF not why not?
Dragged a part-time supporter along to get one? if not WHY NOT?
We want our team to have thebest possible chance of reaching the SCF that means stop bitchin' about the team, the board, the cost of the pies, the singingsection, the kick off time, the cost of tickets, the hassle of getting there. Just get there and gie it laldie for the HIBEES.
Be a fan not a fud!
:thumbsup:

iwasthere1972
10-04-2012, 12:40 PM
Come on you lot! (Delia) Got your tickets yet? IF not why not?
Dragged a part-time supporter along to get one? if not WHY NOT?
We want our team to have thebest possible chance of reaching the SCF that means stop bitchin' about the team, the board, the cost of the pies, the singingsection, the kick off time, the cost of tickets, the hassle of getting there. Just get there and gie it laldie for the HIBEES.
Be a fan not a fud!
:thumbsup:

Who are you calling a fud :cb? :take that

RyeSloan
10-04-2012, 01:40 PM
The ones that moan about the standard of football will more often than not be the ones that sit back and watch it from there homes, not really a massive inconvienice for them. The same ones that moan about kick off times, and sit at home and watch the games at whatever time on a sunday afternoon. The ones that moan about wage thiefs, overpaid players, that are not good enough should hand back there wages, will again more often than not watch the game from home. They will moan about how much the board waste money, and should invest money, via there computer following a game they watched on sunday on the tv. I am not saying it is all the ones that stay home, but a decent percentage if this board is a gauge.

The question I have for them, is how much do they moan when sky take money out of their account each month. When they salavate over the standard of the massively underfunded EPL and the poorly paid players in the EPL.

I dont think we will take more than 15,000 next week. It will be interesting to see how many we take to the final if we were to get there, when the game is on tv, the same players are playing, the same manager is in charge, the game is on TV at a kick off time determind by SKY.

So who you are staying stuff the critics everything is fine and if you don't go week in week out even when we have managed only one win in a year then you don't have a vaild view or point to make?

Maybe if people started listening to the many and varied reasons why people don't go to the football on a regular basis and trying to do something about it there might be a turnaround in attendance figures.

The main driver though is simple...the team on the park...if you play turgid football for 2 -3 years without much sign of a change then WTF do you expect to happen to attendances? Football is meant to be a pure form of entertainment...since it has been sanitised of any 'extra' forms in terms of being able to stand, sing, drink whatever it comes down to purely the product on the park, when that's crap there is litte incentive to go for many people. The club and the SPL as a whole need to attract more than just the die hards to progress.

yeezus.
10-04-2012, 03:01 PM
Well said. Started supporting Hibs after they played my local team (Stranraer) in the cup.

Haven't looked back since! Can't wait for Saturday GGTTH:flag:

HibeesLittleHel
12-04-2012, 09:18 PM
If you've not got your ticket yet and you're not in posession of a note from your Ma excusing you get your earchie down to the ticket office tomorrow and get one!! On your way grab as many fair weather fans as you can and get them to cough up for a breif as well. We can make a difference on the day if we back the team on the park .

C'mon!!

:flag::greengrin:flag::greengrin:flag::greengrinrr e