PDA

View Full Version : Lewis Stevenson

Winston Ingram
08-04-2012, 08:15 PM
I missed the game today and have seen a couple of posts on Twitter about how well he played but there aren't any posts on here. How did he do?

hibee_girl
08-04-2012, 08:21 PM
He played really well imo, the Stevenson we've been used to the last few months :agree:

brianmc
08-04-2012, 08:21 PM
In my opinion: great challenge in our box in the first half and another great tackle in midfield during the second half. Apart from that? A lot of running around, lots of misplaced passes and second to every ball.
In the sponsor's opinion:MOTM !

Stantons Angel
08-04-2012, 08:24 PM
Lewis was immense today and gained the accolade of Man of the Match.
He gave his usual 110%, broke up play with hard tackles and astute passing. If he was a wee bit more confident in himself he would have been up there shooting in on goal.
A good perfomance all round from Hibs. Just a shame that they sat back for the last hour defending a 1-0 lead and lost the usual sloppy goal.
Lewis will be a great miss at Hampden! ggtth

Jonnyboy
08-04-2012, 08:26 PM
In my opinion: great challenge in our box in the first half and another great tackle in midfield during the second half. Apart from that? A lot of running around, lots of misplaced passes and second to every ball.

It's all about opinions I guess.

As usual, Lewis showed passion, commitment and endeavour in spades which counts for a lot given the fight we are in. He also does the simple things well which, again, is important in any team - look at Busquets for an example

down-the-slope
08-04-2012, 08:28 PM
put it this way..we will miss him next week:rolleyes:

You know he rarely has a shocker and today he ran Hanlon close for MOM with McPake not far behind. a really good defensive shield the 3 of theme

SteveHFC
08-04-2012, 08:30 PM
:not worth:not worth:not worth

bingo70
08-04-2012, 08:34 PM
It's all about opinions I guess.

As usual, Lewis showed passion, commitment and endeavour in spades which counts for a lot given the fight we are in. He also does the simple things well which, again, is important in any team - look at Busquets for an example

if Stevenson is going to be a defensive midfielder he needs to learn to boss games and control the pace of the game, we were crying out for a midfielder to put there foot on the ball today and dictate play, if he's not that kind of midfielder then he needs to offer more going forward.

That said, I was impressed with him today, I thought ye did well, agree with the poster above that said he needs to have more belief in himself, especially when in dangerous positions.

We'll miss his energy next week but I think we might have more of a threat from midfield with claros in there as he's far more likely to pick a dangerous pass than lewis is.

seven nowt
08-04-2012, 08:34 PM
I was at the game. i thought he was quiet. he made a good tackle which i liked to see but other than that he was beaten in every aerial battle, was standing off the 'well players and looked a little bit shy to get on the ball. i give Stevenson credit when it's due but i didn't think he was man of the match today. definitely not our worst player but certainly not our best!

I rate Hanlon alot and i think he was man of the match, joint with Garry O'Connor. :agree:

Jonnyboy
08-04-2012, 08:37 PM
if Stevenson is going to be a defensive midfielder he needs to learn to boss games and control the pace of the game, we were crying out for a midfielder to put there foot on the ball today and dictate play, if he's not that kind of midfielder then he needs to offer more going forward.

That said, I was impressed with him today, I thought ye did well, agree with the poster above that said he needs to have more belief in himself, especially when in dangerous positions.

We'll miss his energy next week but I think we might have more of a threat from midfield with claros in there as he's far more likely to pick a dangerous pass than lewis is.

Good points, well made bingo :aok:

I was at the game. i thought he was quiet. he made a good tackle which i liked to see but other than that he was beaten in every aerial battle, was standing off the 'well players and looked a little bit shy to get on the ball. i give Stevenson credit when it's due but i didn't think he was man of the match today. definitely not our worst player but certainly not our best!

I rate Hanlon alot and i think he was man of the match, joint with Garry O'Connor. :agree:

Not sure these words should be used in the same sentence :greengrin

CallumLaidlaw
08-04-2012, 08:38 PM
Football is all about opinions, but our group of 6 thought Stevenson was outstanding. His tackling was top drawer, always prepared to move forward with the ball, great tracking back, made the simple passes, and showed his intelligence by choosing to tee up big gaz instead of going himself.
He misplaced 1 pass all day which I joked would cause him to be ripped to shreds on here :greengrin

Shrekko
08-04-2012, 08:53 PM
Football is all about opinions, but our group of 6 thought Stevenson was outstanding. His tackling was top drawer, always prepared to move forward with the ball, great tracking back, made the simple passes, and showed his intelligence by choosing to tee up big gaz instead of going himself.
He misplaced 1 pass all day which I joked would cause him to be ripped to shreds on here :greengrin

Where does this myth come from about Lewis constantly being 'ripped to shreds' on here come from? Even the past 3/4 years when it's not been happening for him the fans have always been almost unanimously supportive of him- even people who don't rate him. He must be the only guy in the team who who gets his own thread after every decent game.

I thought he was decent today but the centre of our midfield always looks a bit frantic. I agree with poster who said we need to find someone who can control the tempo in there.

Jonnyboy
08-04-2012, 08:54 PM
Where does this myth come from about Lewis constantly being 'ripped to shreds' on here come from? Even the past 3/4 years when it's not been happening for him the fans have always been almost unanimously supportive of him- even people who don't rate him. He must be the only guy in the team who who gets his own thread after every decent game.

I thought he was decent today but the centre of our midfield always looks a bit frantic. I agree with poster who said we need to find someone who can control the tempo in there.

So do I and am disappointed because I thought Ozzy might fill that role

Wotherspiniesta
08-04-2012, 09:18 PM
Lot's of running about, chasing wingers etc, but doesn't offer much else. Can't fault the guy for effort, but his technique on the ball is still very poor IMO.

Winston Ingram
08-04-2012, 09:20 PM

Really? Up until this season he pretty much got unanimously abused.

So much so he was **** scared of setting up a twitter acc according to a few players.

He gets a thread cos he deserves them and it makes a change from prev seasons when he was constantly slated as not being good enough.

If he wasn't so badly managed by a bunch of fuds that preferred Joe Keenan, John Rankin, Edwin de Graff, Ross Chisolm, Steven Thicot, Patrick Cregg, Brian Kerr etc I often wonder what he could have achieved. It must have a hell of an affect when you're such an uncomplicated teenager that has demonstrated such talent at an early age to have that talent be entrusted to a bunch of .

Credit to him for reviving his career. He's been one of the few shining lights this year:agree:

whiskyhibby
08-04-2012, 09:32 PM

Were you at the game today ?

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?o3f1oz

PaulSmith
08-04-2012, 09:37 PM
It's also worth remembering that Stevenson is a free agent in 2 months time and if a St Johnstone or a St Mirren came in with the security of a 3 year deal then he'd probably jump at it.

I'm in a bit of a quandary with him though, excellent though he has been should we be looking to offer the same type of deal or is there better out there.

WindyMiller
08-04-2012, 09:47 PM
Took a dull one from Omar Bradley, who then feigned injury to try and avoid a booking, IMO.

Lewis just got up and got on with the game.

Good laddie to have in the squad who's had to put up with a load of 5hit in the past 5 years, and was nearer his best performance than Soares or Osbourne were their's.

HibbyAndy
09-04-2012, 12:14 AM
Put it this way, Hibs would have a hell of a better chance of beating Aberdeen next week with Lewis Stevenson in the team than out the team!.

Get this guy along with James Mcpake signed up pronto!.

Stonewall
09-04-2012, 12:14 AM

Oh Bollocks! I can only assume you weren't at the game. The running around was to close people down and I don't recall too many bad passes. You make him sound like a headless chicken and Lewis is a bit better than that.

HibbyAndy
09-04-2012, 12:18 AM

What a complete crock of bollox.

SteveHFC
09-04-2012, 12:19 AM
Put it this way, Hibs would have a hell of a better chance of beating Aberdeen next week with Lewis Stevenson in the team than out the team!.

Get this guy along with James Mcpake signed up pronto!.

:top marksWell Said

P.S. How is your bird :cb :duck:

HibbyAndy
09-04-2012, 12:22 AM
:top marksWell Said

P.S. How is your bird :cb :duck:

She's fine:greengrin She was working till 9pm tho so wont see her till tomorrow 1pm:cb

HibbiesandtheBaddies
09-04-2012, 01:01 AM

So much so he was **** scared of setting up a twitter acc according to a few players.

He gets a thread cos he deserves them and it makes a change from prev seasons when he was constantly slated as not being good enough.

If he wasn't so badly managed by a bunch of fuds that preferred Joe Keenan, John Rankin, Edwin de Graff, Ross Chisolm, Steven Thicot, Patrick Cregg, Brian Kerr etc I often wonder what he could have achieved. It must have a hell of an affect when you're such an uncomplicated teenager that has demonstrated such talent at an early age to have that talent be entrusted to a bunch of .

Credit to him for reviving his career. He's been one of the few shining lights this year:agree:

:top marks

500miles
09-04-2012, 05:50 AM
Lewis has a fantastic grasp of all of the basics in football, plus a real workman like attitude. He tackles hard, he is very fit, strong, has a good touch, good close control and you get the feeling that if he got hit by a bus going down Easter Road, he'd be up on his feet, without a word of complaint, and halfway down the road before the bus could pull away again! His problem is he lacks that belief that he should be one of the finest players on the pitch. If he got it into his head that he could be a fantastic attacking player - he could be. He is actually very capable of taking players on because of his good close control and strength. He's also the legs and touch to make him ideal for making late runs into the box and getting shots away. But he doesn't like exposing himself like that. Hibs fans should be making the laddie feel like a hero, because, if you give him just about any role at the club, he'll grow into it.

A 3 year deal and the "You're my most important player" that TM gave to Garry when he arrived at ER, and JC's predictions about him being a better player than KT may well come to fruition.

bingo70
09-04-2012, 06:11 AM
Lewis has a fantastic grasp of all of the basics in football, plus a real workman like attitude. He tackles hard, he is very fit, strong, has a good touch, good close control and you get the feeling that if he got hit by a bus going down Easter Road, he'd be up on his feet, without a word of complaint, and halfway down the road before the bus could pull away again! His problem is he lacks that belief that he should be one of the finest players on the pitch. If he got it into his head that he could be a fantastic attacking player - he could be. He is actually very capable of taking players on because of his good close control and strength. He's also the legs and touch to make him ideal for making late runs into the box and getting shots away. But he doesn't like exposing himself like that. Hibs fans should be making the laddie feel like a hero, because, if you give him just about any role at the club, he'll grow into it.

A 3 year deal and the "You're my most important player" that TM gave to Garry when he arrived at ER, and JC's predictions about him being a better player than KT may well come to fruition.

Think your first paragraph is spot on and for me sums up Stevenson, I personally don't think he offers enough when we've got the ball so don't get the hype around him this season but that's not to say he doesn't have the ability, he just needs to show it more when we're attacking.

I'm all for midfielders playing the simple ball but there are times when in attacking positions I'd like him to take a few more risks.

brianmc
09-04-2012, 06:45 AM
Were you at the game today ?

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?o3f1oz
Yes.

brianmc
09-04-2012, 06:45 AM
Oh Bollocks! I can only assume you weren't at the game. The running around was to close people down and I don't recall too many bad passes. You make him sound like a headless chicken and Lewis is a bit better than that.

See previous post

brianmc
09-04-2012, 06:48 AM
What a complete crock of bollox.

I bow to your superior knowledge. Nae point having a fans message board if it's only your opinion that counts eh?

bingo70
09-04-2012, 07:03 AM
I bow to your superior knowledge. Nae point having a fans message board if it's only your opinion that counts eh?

If he was as good as is being made out by some then clubs would be banging our door down trying to get him signed up on a pre-contract agreement and that certainly doesn't appear to be happening.

marinello59
09-04-2012, 07:48 AM
If he was as good as is being made out by some then clubs would be banging our door down trying to get him signed up on a pre-contract agreement and that certainly doesn't appear to be happening.

If LS leaves Hibs at the end of the season then he should be fairly confident of getting offers from other SPL teams. He may not be good enough to move Hibs forward in some supporters eyes but there are a couple of top six teams where he could fit in very well.

down-the-slope
09-04-2012, 08:00 AM

Utter nonsense - no club needs to have any contact with Hibs if they want to sign him. And how do you know clubs have not been approaching him :rolleyes:

bingo70
09-04-2012, 08:06 AM
If LS leaves Hibs at the end of the season then he should be fairly confident of getting offers from other SPL teams. He may not be good enough to move Hibs forward in some supporters eyes but there are a couple of top six teams where he could fit in very well.

Disagree, unless he can add more of an attacking threat to his energy then i think he'll struggle to influence games like he should.

I think a fair comparison is probably John Rankin who's gone on to do well at Dundee Utd, both similar players and in terms of ability there's probably not much between them but the difference is Rankin is prepared to make runs into the box and let fly (probably too much), until Stevenson finds that confidence within himself i think this will be as good as it gets for him.

Hope he does find it with us though, starting next weekend.

cad
09-04-2012, 08:22 AM

When you think about it that way(See in bold ) Lewis has had a load of ***** to contend with while being at Hibs ,as for this season hes been a light in an awfi dark tunnel, he has played well and kept going when many have chucked it so good for him.

Leith Green
09-04-2012, 08:23 AM

Pretty much what I was thinking. If you take the following as an example, Lewis has done far far more this season in a poorer side than John Rankin ever done over any one of his seasons at Easter Rd in arguably better sides. John Rankin left Hibs and has performed a a consistently good level for an average - good Dundee United side.

In other words I think Lewis is a better player than Rankin ever will be & that he could be an excellent team player in a better balanced & well managed/organised side (like Rankin at United). Rankin seems to have gained confidence and become a better player, playing a specified role with other players performing different roles around him. Lewis in my opinion could offer a good Hibs side the same, never 10 out of 10 performances now and then but always 7 or 8 every week and these are players you need in the spine of the team.

Would be really daft not to keep Stevenson and look at other areas of the park where we are lacking. Hopefully Fenlon will see this and next season we have more pace and creativity in other players around stevenson.

Leith Green
09-04-2012, 08:25 AM
Disagree, unless he can add more of an attacking threat to his energy then i think he'll struggle to influence games like he should.

I think a fair comparison is probably John Rankin who's gone on to do well at Dundee Utd, both similar players and in terms of ability there's probably not much between them but the difference is Rankin is prepared to make runs into the box and let fly (probably too much), until Stevenson finds that confidence within himself i think this will be as good as it gets for him.

Hope he does find it with us though, starting next weekend.

Rankin plays a very specific role within that United team & its a lot deeper & simple than what you say.

bingo70
09-04-2012, 08:28 AM
Pretty much what I was thinking. If you take the following as an example, Lewis has done far far more this season in a poorer side than John Rankin ever done over any one of his seasons at Easter Rd in arguably better sides. John Rankin left Hibs and has performed a a consistently good level for an average - good Dundee United side.

In other words I think Lewis is a better player than Rankin ever will be & that he could be an excellent team player in a better balanced & well managed/organised side (like Rankin at United). Rankin seems to have gained confidence and become a better player, playing a specified role with other players performing different roles around him. Lewis in my opinion could offer a good Hibs side the same, never 10 out of 10 performances now and then but always 7 or 8 every week and these are players you need in the spine of the team.

Would be really daft not to keep Stevenson and look at other areas of the park where we are lacking. Hopefully Fenlon will see this and next season we have more pace and creativity in other players around stevenson.

Rankin offers a goal threat as well as bundles of energy where as lewis struggles to even get a shot off.

I'm not re-writing history here, I know Rankin wasn't good for us but to say that Stevenson is better than Rankin will ever be simply isn't correct imo

bingo70
09-04-2012, 08:35 AM
Rankin plays a very specific role within that United team & its a lot deeper & simple than what you say.

We've been saying all season our midfield doesn't offer the defence protection so if he's been a defensive midfielder he's not done that role very well, we've struggled to control games so he's not been the deep sitting playmaker we've needed so what is his role on midfield? Imo its to be a box to box player and he only does part of that role well but we need him to do what rankins doing for utd and have shots on goal and make bursts into the box to try and score. I don't think its necessarily lack of ability that stops him doing that, its possibly a confidence thing but whatever it is he needs to start bringing that side of his game to the table.

Leith Green
09-04-2012, 08:43 AM
We've been saying all season our midfield doesn't offer the defence protection so if he's been a defensive midfielder he's not done that role very well, we've struggled to control games so he's not been the deep sitting playmaker we've needed so what is his role on midfield? Imo its to be a box to box player and he only does part of that role well but we need him to do what rankins doing for utd and have shots on goal and make bursts into the box to try and score. I don't think its necessarily lack of ability that stops him doing that, its possibly a confidence thing but whatever it is he needs to start bringing that side of his game to the table.

Pressure on our defence stems from amongst other things mainly poor ball retention.
For example Lewis will look to break up play steady himself & play a simple pass, either out wide or to a more advanced central midfielder, problem with this side is that other players will play a poor pass or lose possesion cheaply, which then leaves players out of position & our defence exposed.

If you imagine He was playing in Mowbrays side, he would break up the play and move the ball on to either Murphy, Whittaker, Boozy or Brown to look to create an opening holding his own position. He would know 9 times out of 10 that possesion wouldnt be lost instantly and as cheaply as it has been the last season or two.

I think we need to look at the areas around Stevenson as to why our defence has been overran and not nessecarily at the defensive midfielder.

Leith Green
09-04-2012, 08:47 AM
Rankin offers a goal threat as well as bundles of energy where as lewis struggles to even get a shot off.

I'm not re-writing history here, I know Rankin wasn't good for us but to say that Stevenson is better than Rankin will ever be simply isn't correct imo

You re saying that with the hindsight of Rankin having moved & played in more organised side suited to his game. Would you have said the same a year ago? If you put Lewis into a side with players capable of playing the side of the game Lewis doesnt ( like Rankin) then Lewis would be a better player.

Leith Green
09-04-2012, 08:50 AM

For the record Rankin has scored 3 goals this season in a decent/good United side.

bingo70
09-04-2012, 09:10 AM
Pressure on our defence stems from amongst other things mainly poor ball retention.
For example Lewis will look to break up play steady himself & play a simple pass, either out wide or to a more advanced central midfielder, problem with this side is that other players will play a poor pass or lose possesion cheaply, which then leaves players out of position & our defence exposed.

If you imagine He was playing in Mowbrays side, he would break up the play and move the ball on to either Murphy, Whittaker, Boozy or Brown to look to create an opening holding his own position. He would know 9 times out of 10 that possesion wouldnt be lost instantly and as cheaply as it has been the last season or two.

I think we need to look at the areas around Stevenson as to why our defence has been overran and not nessecarily at the defensive midfielder.

No, i think one of the mainstays in our midfield has got to take responsibility for our midfield offering no protection to our defence or support to our forwards, to say he needs better players around him isn't good enough IMO, good players are good players and we need them to stand up to the plate when we're struggling and show how good they are and i think for all his effort he's not imposed himself on games enough.

You re saying that with the hindsight of Rankin having moved & played in more organised side suited to his game. Would you have said the same a year ago? If you put Lewis into a side with players capable of playing the side of the game Lewis doesnt ( like Rankin) then Lewis would be a better player.

I would say that Rankin was possibily a better player than he showed when at hibs and thats not what we need, if players are better than there team mates then we need them carrying the poorer players through games, exactly like Mcpake has done, we're not making excuses for him saying we're still conceding goals but it's because his team mates aren't as good as him, he's grabbing them by the scruff of the neck and dragging them up to his standard and not the other way round.

For the record Rankin has scored 3 goals this season in a decent/good United side.

Think it's four, well in the last Rankin debate that's what i was told but thats bye the bye, i expect he's created some goals and i'd be interested to see opta type stats as it wouldn't surprise me if he's won as many tackles as lewis has as well, although i doubt he'll have completed as many passes as he'll take more risks with attempts to create and not just go for the easy option.

I want to like Stevenson, i really do, i just don't see it, he did well enough yesterday but i can't help but think we'd be a better side if we had a midfielder that had ability on the ball to create things in the final third.

If Stevenson leaves hibs this summer and we come up against him i'd feel pretty confident we'd be able to over run him in midfield and he'd offer us no threat in an attacking sense.

easty
09-04-2012, 09:17 AM
If you imagine He was playing in Mowbrays side,

I thought the praise for Stevenson this season was getting a bit silly but now he's being reffered to as He (capital H).....he's god now apparantly.:greengrin

Judas Iscariot
09-04-2012, 09:25 AM
I want to like Stevenson, i really do, i just don't see it, he did well enough yesterday but i can't help but think we'd be a better side if we had a midfielder that had ability on the ball to create things in the final third.

If Stevenson leaves hibs this summer and we come up against him i'd feel pretty confident we'd be able to over run him in midfield and he'd offer us no threat in an attacking sense.

Spot on :agree:

Saved me typing that!

dp00
09-04-2012, 10:47 AM
I sometime wonder if hibs fans expect us to have players like messi in our team. And even then would they be happy . Stevenson has exactly what we need right FIGHT !!!!!!!

bingo70
09-04-2012, 10:49 AM
I sometime wonder if hibs fans expect us to have players like messi in our team. And even then would they be happy . Stevenson has exactly what we need right FIGHT !!!!!!!

I think we need ability and that's whats being questioned here, nobody has ever doubted Stevensons fight or attitude.

Judas Iscariot
09-04-2012, 10:58 AM

We could play 11 guys from the stand, no doubt they'd show plenty fight, would we be in a better position?

Naw..

We need guys with skill, ability, technique along with fight thrown in..

Not 11 cloggers

Tyler Durden
09-04-2012, 11:24 AM
I think we need ability and that's whats being questioned here, nobody has ever doubted Stevensons fight or attitude.

Spot on.

Nothing sums up the current mediocrity of Hibs more for me than the praise lavished on Lewis Stevenson. He was average at best yesterday but we've become so used to watching dross, that we're meant to be delighted that players run about and harry the opposition. Stevenson didn't even do that well IMO yesterday, standing off Law and Lasley far too much. He also failed to pick out Griffiths with a simple ball into his feet that would have put him in on goal. Chance to add to Stevenson's tally of erm, ZERO assists this season.

Oh for the days of a Boozy. I look forward to getting this season over and hopefully Fenlon can build a strong side with some ability and creativity in midfield. Stevenson would then revert to his rightful position as a squad player, who fills in 5/6 times a season.

TornadoHibby
09-04-2012, 11:51 AM

The guy does have a very decent amount of ability! :agree:

TornadoHibby
09-04-2012, 11:55 AM
Spot on.

Nothing sums up the current mediocrity of Hibs more for me than the praise lavished on Lewis Stevenson. He was average at best yesterday but we've become so used to watching dross, that we're meant to be delighted that players run about and harry the opposition. Stevenson didn't even do that well IMO yesterday, standing off Law and Lasley far too much. He also failed to pick out Griffiths with a simple ball into his feet that would have put him in on goal. Chance to add to Stevenson's tally of erm, ZERO assists this season.

Oh for the days of a Boozy. I look forward to getting this season over and hopefully Fenlon can build a strong side with some ability and creativity in midfield. Stevenson would then revert to his rightful position as a squad player, who fills in 5/6 times a season.

What role is it that you play in spotting ability in players and assessing them in line with what particular clubs require and can afford bearing in mind the overall playing pool both in terms of number, quality and positions covered adequately then? :confused:

How many games a week do you watch personally? :dunno:

Just out of interest likes!? :rolleyes:

Spike Mandela
09-04-2012, 11:55 AM

Unless his replacement plays better. We have failed to beat Aberdeen all season with Lewis in the team after all.

inglisavhibs
09-04-2012, 11:56 AM

You are entitled to your opinion on Stevenson and I agree. He is tidy footballer and knows the game pretty well but I don't think he has the physical attributes to be a top footballer. I don't think you will hear opposing managers go on about the threat of Lewis Stevenson in their team talks, neither does he win any physical battles. I would love to be more positive about Lewis as he has a very good attitude but I just don't see a good midfielder in him.

blackpoolhibs
09-04-2012, 11:59 AM

I disagree, we need better players with better ability. We got rid of any real quality we had, and replaced them with grafters, players who fight. You then end up with a team thats 11th.

Tyler Durden
09-04-2012, 12:09 PM
What role is it that you play in spotting ability in players and assessing them in line with what particular clubs require and can afford bearing in mind the overall playing pool both in terms of number, quality and positions covered adequately then? :confused:

How many games a week do you watch personally? :dunno:

Just out of interest likes!? :rolleyes:

Don't follow your first (extremely long) sentence. What role do I play?

I watch quite alot of football, thanks. I expect central midfield players to contribute much more than Lewis Stevenson brings to Hibs. If we're looking to be a top 4 or 6 team, then we need better players than Stevenson, simple as that. There's a reason he's been little more than a squad player for years. He's too weak, offers nothing going forward and his passing is limited. He always gives 110% and fair play to him, but I don't expect to pay £400 a season to watch "triers" like him.

Even in our current squad, I'd pick Claros ahead of him all day long. A player that can actually pass a ball and create something.

09-04-2012, 12:12 PM
Going to be a big miss for us on saturday i reckon!

TornadoHibby
09-04-2012, 12:23 PM
Don't follow your first (extremely long) sentence. What role do I play?

I watch quite alot of football, thanks. I expect central midfield players to contribute much more than Lewis Stevenson brings to Hibs. If we're looking to be a top 4 or 6 team, then we need better players than Stevenson, simple as that. There's a reason he's been little more than a squad player for years. He's too weak, offers nothing going forward and his passing is limited. He always gives 110% and fair play to him, but I don't expect to pay £400 a season to watch "triers" like him.

Even in our current squad, I'd pick Claros ahead of him all day long. A player that can actually pass a ball and create something.

My apologies for commenting in such an apparently unintelligible way! :confused:

Your post came accross (to me at least) as being from someone who felt that they knew more about football and players and skill etc levels than the average regularly attending supporter. :rolleyes:

Delighted to see that you are as qualified (or not) as the rest of us who turn up regularly to watch and support the team! :agree:

I don't agree with your assessment of Lewis but then what does that matter actually as neither of us have any influence as to whether he gets a new contract or not! :agree:

I hope he does and believe that he will whereas you don't!

Who do you believe Hibs should try and sign (instead of Lewis) to perform that you believe Lewis should be performing but consider that he is not? You would need to work within the current and foreseeable future player budget at Hibs of course so that would rule out suggesting perhaps Paul Scholes or Xavi. :wink:

Spike Mandela
09-04-2012, 12:25 PM
Going to be a big miss for us on saturday i reckon!

Perhaps, you may be right you may be wrong. If we win without him in the team what does that tell us?:confused:

Just out of interest who do people think will get the nod in his place? Claros? Towell? Wotherspoon?Murray? Could there be some other surprise inclusion?

Tyler Durden
09-04-2012, 12:36 PM
My apologies for commenting in such an apparently unintelligible way! :confused:

Your post came accross (to me at least) as being from someone who felt that they knew more about football and players and skill etc levels than the average regularly attending supporter. :rolleyes:

Delighted to see that you are as qualified (or not) as the rest of us who turn up regularly to watch and support the team! :agree:

I don't agree with your assessment of Lewis but then what does that matter actually as neither of us have any influence as to whether he gets a new contract or not! :agree:
I hope he does and believe that he will whereas you don't!

Who do you believe Hibs should try and sign (instead of Lewis) to perform that you believe Lewis should be performing but consider that he is not? You would need to work within the current and foreseeable future player budget at Hibs of course so that would rule out suggesting perhaps Paul Scholes or Xavi. :wink:

Agreed on that point. I'd be happy enough with Lewis signing a new deal but for me he's just a squad player. He can fill in at LB and do a job but we should expect better in central midfield.

If you look right through the SPL I think there are far better players than Stevenson well within our budget. Stephen Hughes, Ian Black, Scott Robertson, the boy Nicky Law at Motherwell, Jody Morris, Murray Davidson, Pascali or Kelly at Killie, maybe even Tansey at ICT. Or a guy, who is currently without a team, Mikey Stewart.

I'm not suggesting that Hibs try to sign any of those players. But when they signed for their current teams, they'd have been within our budget. They've all got much more quality than Lewis Stevenson but reading Hibs.net you'd think Lewis was a world beater. We've fallen so far that we praise him just cos he puts alot of effort in.

TornadoHibby
09-04-2012, 12:43 PM
Agreed on that point. I'd be happy enough with Lewis signing a new deal but for me he's just a squad player. He can fill in at LB and do a job but we should expect better in central midfield.

If you look right through the SPL I think there are far better players than Stevenson well within our budget. Stephen Hughes, Ian Black, Scott Robertson, the boy Nicky Law at Motherwell, Jody Morris, Murray Davidson, Pascali or Kelly at Killie, maybe even Tansey at ICT. Or a guy, who is currently without a team, Mikey Stewart.

I'm not suggesting that Hibs try to sign any of those players. But when they signed for their current teams, they'd have been within our budget. They've all got much more quality than Lewis Stevenson but reading Hibs.net you'd think Lewis was a world beater. We've fallen so far that we praise him just cos he puts alot of effort in.

We're just going to have to disagree as Lewis is a far better player than you give him credit for IMO! :agree:

Out of interest, how much are the rest of the guys that you "recommend" on per week and how much is the comparable Hibs player budget for the position going forward? :confused:

I have had heard that Black was on a few thousand per week which I imagine (but don't actually know) is quite a bit more than Hibs pay! :dunno:

Judas Iscariot
09-04-2012, 12:47 PM
We're just going to have to disagree as Lewis is a far better player than you give him credit for IMO! :agree:

Out of interest, how much are the rest of the guys that you "recommend" on per week and how much is the comparable Hibs player budget for the position going forward? :confused:

I have had heard that Black was on a few thousand per week which I imagine (but don't actually know) is quite a bit more than Hibs pay! :dunno:

I'd be fairly confident in saying that Ian Black is the only 1 on more than what we offer...

KeithTheHibby
09-04-2012, 12:51 PM
For those giving Lewis a hard time who would you rather see in the team? Ozzy or Lewis?

inglisavhibs
09-04-2012, 12:55 PM
For those giving Lewis a hard time who would you rather see in the team? Ozzy or Lewis?

Ozzy by a country mile, and most people are not giving him a hard time. Just stating opinions.

Jones28
09-04-2012, 12:56 PM

Couldn't have put it better :aok::agree:

silverhibee
09-04-2012, 12:59 PM

If i was Lewis i would be trying my luck some where else next season to play his football.

Judas Iscariot
09-04-2012, 01:00 PM

Ozzy 1000 times over

Spike Mandela
09-04-2012, 01:02 PM

Unfortunately neither really inspire do they?

It's like asking someone if they would rather eat cat poo or dog poo.:greengrin

bingo70
09-04-2012, 01:04 PM

I'd rather have Ozzie and Claros in the middle, or at least i'd like to give them a go together, i think Claros is a better sitting midfielder than Lewis and more likely to control the game and have Ozzie is better at driving forward. I think then when Claros did venture forward he'd be more effective in the final third.

KeithTheHibby
09-04-2012, 01:04 PM
Ozzy by a country mile, and most people are not giving him a hard time. Just stating opinions.

Fair point.

Out of interest why Ozzy?

KeithTheHibby
09-04-2012, 01:05 PM
Ozzy 1000 times over

Why Ozzy then? I watch the same games as you and don't think there is much difference between the 2.

bingo70
09-04-2012, 01:06 PM
If i was Lewis i would be trying my luck some where else next season to play his football.

Because you think he can join a better team and not appreciated here or because you think he's quite easily replaced?

KeithTheHibby
09-04-2012, 01:07 PM
I'd rather have Ozzie and Claros in the middle, or at least i'd like to give them a go together, i think Claros is a better sitting midfielder than Lewis and more likely to control the game and have Ozzie is better at driving forward. I think then when Claros did venture forward he'd be more effective in the final third.

I don't think playing Ozzy, Lewis and Claros really works in our midfield.

Playing all 3 causes an imbalance and neither of these 3 can play either wide left or right.

I would still like to see Booth get a run at LM however shall leave that to Fenlon to decide!

Judas Iscariot
09-04-2012, 01:08 PM
Why Ozzy then? I watch the same games as you and don't think there is much difference between the 2.

Ozzy is by far a the better player all round

bingo70
09-04-2012, 01:20 PM
I don't think playing Ozzy, Lewis and Claros really works in our midfield.

Playing all 3 causes an imbalance and neither of these 3 can play either wide left or right.

I would still like to see Booth get a run at LM however shall leave that to Fenlon to decide!

I know, i agree, i don't think the three of them would work so i would drop Stevenson to see how we get on with Claros and Ozzie in the centre.

After the effort Stevenson puts in i can understand why it's a tough decision to drop him but i think we might see a better midfield on saturday without him.

KeithTheHibby
09-04-2012, 01:24 PM

I don't see a whole lot of difference really. Neither pose a goal threat and as much as Ozzy gets forward slightly more I think Lewis has the better engine.

bingo70
09-04-2012, 01:31 PM
I don't see a whole lot of difference really. Neither pose a goal threat and as much as Ozzy gets forward slightly more I think Lewis has the better engine.

If they're of the same ability and Stevenson has the better engine then he should be able to get forward more as well.

FWIW i find Ozzie's lazy running style extremely frustrating and wish he would get involved more in attacking situations but i still think an on form Ozzie offers far more to the team than Stevenson does.

calumb
09-04-2012, 01:34 PM
Anyone who thinks ozzy is a better bet than stevenson is clearly mad.
Ozzy is an ok player but he still looks like he is playing with concrete boots on

The amount of goals we shipped in the first half of the season when ozzy and his partner palsson lost the men they were supposed to be marking is half the reason we are in the position we are in.

bingo70
09-04-2012, 01:39 PM
Anyone who thinks ozzy is a better bet than stevenson is clearly mad.
Ozzy is an ok player but he still looks like he is playing with concrete boots on

The amount of goals we shipped in the first half of the season when ozzy and his partner palsson lost the men they were supposed to be marking is half the reason we are in the position we are in.

How come results never improved second half when Stevenson has been playing every week then?

calumb
09-04-2012, 01:48 PM
How come results never improved second half when Stevenson has been playing every week then?

by that stage the confidence was completely shot and then we had to contend with half a new team most of who had barely kicked a ball all season

Wotherspiniesta
09-04-2012, 01:55 PM
by that stage the confidence was completely shot and then we had to contend with half a new team most of who had barely kicked a ball all season

You mean playing with new players like Ozzy? Ozzy was finding his feet in a new league at the start of the season. He'd hardly played any football before then.

FWIW, I think Ozzy and Lewis are a great partnership in centre mid. They have different qualities and compliment each other very well IMO.

bingo70
09-04-2012, 01:59 PM

Yet Mcpake has managed to be far more influential to the team improving even though he's managed to come in to a side lacking confidence and barely kicked a ball all season.

Games competely pass Stevenson by, he does his best by throwing tackles around but he's totally unable to influence games and if he's a deep sitting midfielder then he's got to be able to do that, if he's not a deep lying midfielder he needs to start offering something going forward, somethings got to give.

bingo70
09-04-2012, 02:00 PM
You mean playing with new players like Ozzy? Ozzy was finding his feet in a new league at the start of the season. He'd hardly played any football before then.

FWIW, I think Ozzy and Lewis are a great partnership in centre mid. They have different qualities and compliment each other very well IMO.

How come we get totally over run in most games in midfield then?

I don't think they're a good partnership at all, if they were then we'd be winning and dominating more games.

Spike Mandela
09-04-2012, 02:06 PM

Stanton and Cropley, Collins and Kane, Latapy and Sauzee, Jackson and O'Neill, McGinlay and MaCleod and Thomson and Brown these are examples of great Hibs midfield partnerships.

There are many other examples, Stevenson and Osbourne are not one of them imo.

calumb
09-04-2012, 02:10 PM

I kinda agree with what you are saying but would not go as far as saying they were a great partnership.

As the second half wore on yesterday the whole midfield started to disappear except stevenson who stuck to the task and worked away and for me that makes in 10 times more valuable than the likes of Ozzy,
but on the other hand i would not expect stevenson to drive a game on the way ozzy did at east end park but he doesnt do this anywhere near enough to merit any adulation he receives

hibsbollah
09-04-2012, 02:11 PM

I'd drop both. Then put them in the stocks at the foot o the walk and invite passers by to fling shi'ite at them. Its the hibs.net way :aok:

blackpoolhibs
09-04-2012, 02:23 PM

You really have not seen many good Hibs sides have you?

Stevie Reid
09-04-2012, 02:25 PM

Ozzy 1000 times over

I am a season ticket holder at ER and honestly cannot remember coming away from a home game thinking that Osbourne had a good game, never mind anything more - in fact, the only positive contributions (at ER) that I can remember off the top of my head are his shot for the the OG against Dundee Utd in the 3-3 game, and his excellent flick in the lead up to Callum Booth's goal in the St. Johnstone game.

I believe that he was immense in the games away at Celtic and Dunfermline (3-2), but at ER most of what he does has inspired exasperation far more than anything else. Like many players that we have signed in the last 5 years, he has good attributes and you can imagine him turning into an important player for Hibs, but so far he has been a disappointment in a very poor Hibs team.

Lewis in the last few months has been a stand out in a very poor Hibs team, and many believe it is the fact that we are so poor that makes him stand out - IMO he has looked good in better midfields than our current one in the past, though there is no denying that he has blown many a chance to cement his place in the seasons gone by. However, if Lewis is only standing out because the team is so poor, why is Osbourne not shining if he is the quality player that many believe him to be?

Maybe next season we will get to see Osbourne and Stevenson in a better Hibs midfield, I would like to think that there was more to come from both - however, if people believe that we need better than Stevenson to thrive in this league, then we surely need better than Osbourne too.

Wotherspiniesta
09-04-2012, 02:26 PM
You really have not seen many good Hibs sides have you?

I've seen Keenan and Chisholm, Murray and De Graaf.

I'm easily pleased.

Shrekko
09-04-2012, 02:27 PM
I'd like a midfielder with Lewis's touch and Ozzy's athleticism. Both as individuals IMO fall a bit short in terms of being the all round player we need in there. Our midfield has been over-run and outplayed almost all of the season and that has to say something.

Like a few others, I'm impressed with Lewis this season but absolutely embarrassed at the level of praise being lavished on him. Every decent game where he chases, harries, does the simple things well is classed as 'outstanding' on here. I want him to stay and keep improving but seriously some folk need to calm down a bit. The notion that we have a far smaller chance of beating Aberdeen without LS is utterly ridiculous. Virtually all our 6/7 midfielders are of a very similar level and none of them are game changers, especially in big games. At a push you might get a big game from Sproule or a moment of magic from Soares but that's about it.

blackpoolhibs
09-04-2012, 02:27 PM
I've seen Keenan and Chisholm.

I'm easily pleased.

Yip thats what i thought. :agree:

silverhibee
09-04-2012, 02:28 PM
Because you think he can join a better team and not appreciated here or because you think he's quite easily replaced?

I doubt it would be for a better team, but maybe a move down South to the English 1st division would be a good move for him, i doubt Lewis is up there with the top earners at Hibs and i doubt he would be made one if Hibs were to offer him a new contract this summer, a move down south could see him double the money he makes at Hibs and a change of club could do him the world of good.

No assists from him and no goals from him this season, is he a sitting attacking or defensive midfielder or one of these box to box midfielders, :confused: i don't doubt that he works very hard for the team and has been very good in the second part of the season, but there is no point chasing a player down put in a tackle then play a poor pass, that's how i see Lewis, i have nothing against the lad he gives his all in games but if Hibs are to improve next season as a team then i dont see Lewis in the starting 11, we need better sorry to say.

blackpoolhibs
09-04-2012, 02:31 PM
I've seen Keenan and Chisholm, Murray and De Graaf.

I'm easily pleased.

I see you edited your original post to add two more, if you added O'Sbourne and stevenson and played all six, i'm still convinced we wouldnt control the middle of the park, and none would compliment the other very well.

inglisavhibs
09-04-2012, 03:40 PM
Fair point.

Out of interest why Ozzy?

He is quicker, he wins more tackles, he wins more headers, he gets us going forward, he scores the odd goal, he runs beyond the opposing back four, he closes down better, he is just a better player,not that i am saying he is a world beater, just better than Lewis by a fair bit.

TornadoHibby
09-04-2012, 05:08 PM
I'd be fairly confident in saying that Ian Black is the only 1 on more than what we offer...

Not that I am suggesting that I would rather have any of those named that you referred to in your post instead of Lewis but, supposing that was a choice, have you seen all of those named as "alternatives" on a significant number of SPL match day situations to be absolutely confident that they would offer more to Hibs than LS does?

Also, assuming that you can let us know how many times you have seen all of the guys concerned, can you confirm that you are intimately acquainted closesly enough with the contract situation of each of those concerned that, should Hibs decide to get them on board for next season, that each could sign for Hibs within the current and foreseeable playing staff budget without a transfer fee being required to be paid to their current employer team?

You guys that reckon you know all these "factors" so well and that a better player (whom you imply that you have seen suffiently regularly to have maturely formed such a view) could be got for less than LS gets (suggesting that you know that too) really should just accept that none of us will influence such decisions of Hibs, LS or any of the other players were they to ever become involved in such a situation. Opinions on here are most usually only that IMO!

Jonnyboy
09-04-2012, 10:50 PM
Poor Lewis, divider of Hibs fans :greengrin

Listen, I don't recall Matty Jack getting pelters for not being creative. Why? Because he did a specific job in breaking up the oppositions play, a job Lewis does just as well IMO.

I do agree he carries no goal threat and often wonder why he doesn't join in the shooting in the pre match warm up.

We're none of us perfect and he does make mistakes. Just seems that his are jumped on more often. Against Motherwell, Lewis was far better than Ozzy and yet I keep reading that Ozzy's the man. Doesn't show it often though, does he?

Shrekko
09-04-2012, 11:34 PM
We're none of us perfect and he does make mistakes. Just seems that his are jumped on more often.

If I read one more of Lewis's fans claiming Hibs fans are hard on him compared to others I swear I'll do time. I cannot stand this "oh you don't want to be criticising my favourite player, you should be criticising someone else instead" mantra.

Most Hibs players are dividing the fans at the moment and it's because none of them are that special or the ones who do have ability have other failings. I love them all though!

Septimus
10-04-2012, 05:33 AM
Hope I get the chance to see Lewis in the Scottish Cup final this year. As I recall he seemed to do quite well in the League Cup final a few years ago.

Judas Iscariot
10-04-2012, 09:34 AM
Hope I get the chance to see Lewis in the Scottish Cup final this year. As I recall he seemed to do quite well in the League Cup final a few years ago.

well, 5 years to wait for his 2nd excellent game isn't that long :cool2:

hibs0666
10-04-2012, 11:11 AM
well, 5 years to wait for his 2nd excellent game isn't that long :cool2:

We talking about Makalambay again?

Winston Ingram
10-04-2012, 06:28 PM

Rankin is nowhere near the player Lewis is.

Jonnyboy
10-04-2012, 06:30 PM
If I read one more of Lewis's fans claiming Hibs fans are hard on him compared to others I swear I'll do time. I cannot stand this "oh you don't want to be criticising my favourite player, you should be criticising someone else instead" mantra.

Most Hibs players are dividing the fans at the moment and it's because none of them are that special or the ones who do have ability have other failings. I love them all though!

Pick yer jail :greengrin

I'm not ashamed to be classed as a fan of Lewis and I think if you read the numerous threads you will find he gets it tight from a fair few who seem to think running about for 90 minutes is his only attribute

Seveno
10-04-2012, 06:57 PM
Poor Lewis, divider of Hibs fans :greengrin

Listen, I don't recall Matty Jack getting pelters for not being creative. Why? Because he did a specific job in breaking up the oppositions play, a job Lewis does just as well IMO.

I do agree he carries no goal threat and often wonder why he doesn't join in the shooting in the pre match warm up.

We're none of us perfect and he does make mistakes. Just seems that his are jumped on more often. Against Motherwell, Lewis was far better than Ozzy and yet I keep reading that Ozzy's the man. Doesn't show it often though, does he?

The problem is that some people formed their opinion on Lewis based on how he was playing under previous managers. Under Pat, he is playing to much nearer his full potential and is a key player for us. But some people just see what they want to see.

If they don't believe the manager or people like Pat Nevin, then what chance do we have of convincing them ?

matty_f
10-04-2012, 06:59 PM
The problem is that some people formed their opinion on Lewis based on how he was playing under previous managers. Under Pat, he is playing to much nearer his full potential and is a key player for us. But some people just see what they want to see.

If they don't believe the manager or people like Pat Nevin, then what chance do we have of convincing them ?

Two of the guys I manage at work, one a Yam, the other a Currant Bun, said they were very impressed with Lewis after watching the game on Sunday. Obviously, given their choice of teams their opinions count for little :greengrin, but at least it's an objective viewpoint!

Judas Iscariot
10-04-2012, 07:05 PM
Two of the guys I manage at work, one a Yam, the other a Currant Bun, said they were very impressed with Lewis after watching the game on Sunday. Obviously, given their choice of teams their opinions count for little :greengrin, but at least it's an objective viewpoint!

Strange that 'cos almost every fan of an other team that I've spoke to thinks he's honking & offers very little and 1 went on to say "other than running around a lot trying to kick anything that moves, what does he do?"

Even other teams fans seem to have just as varied an opinion on him as us Hibbies :cb

Barney McGrew
10-04-2012, 07:14 PM
How come we get totally over run in most games in midfield then?

I don't think they're a good partnership at all, if they were then we'd be winning and dominating more games.

To be fair, it's not very often we lose goals where the ball has come through the two guys in the middle, it's more common it comes from down the flanks where the wide midfielders give no defensive cover whatsoever.

Hopefully that's starting to be addressed by Fenlon though - Sproule for instance worked harder on that side of his game in the time he was on the pitch on Sunday than he has in the previous 32 games this season.