PDA

View Full Version : much better today lads....

noz
08-04-2012, 03:36 PM
thought we were much improved today as a team. We showed a willingness against a decent team. Sproule played well and O'connor looks a bit sharper. Maybe playing for semi place had something to do with it, but who cares!

Never thought I'd say it but Lewis will be missed next week. It ll be interesting to see what MF Pat decides on next week. Maybe Claros will come in or Wspoon and move Soares to the middle.
Thoughts?

WindyMiller
08-04-2012, 03:43 PM
Lack of confidence showed in the second half when they sat too deep.

A few panic clearances (and one corner) shouldn't have happened as the player was under no pressure.

But overall that was as good as I've seen this season.

Dinkydoo
08-04-2012, 03:48 PM
Totally agree.

Excluding the Celtic game earlier in the season, today was the only time I've seen Sproule actually beat his man since his return.

Thought our defence were working well as a unit and as a result, they were rarely stretched.

O'Connor looked fitter, had some nice little pieces of play with Griffiths and showed us what he is still capable of with that freekick.

Ozzy and Stevenson were effective in the middle of the park too. Soares, as per usual, seemed to be playing in a different game to the rest of the team though and never really got on the ball - id stick Francomb on the right instead.

erin go bragh
08-04-2012, 03:55 PM
thought we were much improved today as a team. We showed a willingness against a decent team. Sproule played well and O'connor looks a bit sharper. Maybe playing for semi place had something to do with it, but who cares!

Never thought I'd say it but Lewis will be missed next week. It ll be interesting to see what MF Pat decides on next week. Maybe Claros will come in or Wspoon and move Soares to the middle.
Thoughts?
Thought Lewis was our week link in the midfield , giving the ball away and being out muscled / out jumped most of the game .
Can see Claros getting a shot at hampden .

ggtth

TrinityHibs
08-04-2012, 04:02 PM
Thought Lewis was our week link in the midfield , giving the ball away and being out muscled / out jumped most of the game .

ggtth

Was that the same MOM Lewis or somebody different in your FIFA 2012 team? Did I just take a:fishin:

skipster7
08-04-2012, 04:02 PM

ggtth
must have been at a different game,Lewis won back the ball on countless occasions,got a toe in plenty times and even won headers 40/60against him :confused: imo he will leave a hole next week as we have no one else who can hassle,harasse and tackle the way lewis did today.:pfgwa

danhibees1875
08-04-2012, 04:08 PM

ggtth

:fishin: surely?

bingo70
08-04-2012, 04:10 PM
Im no fan of lewis but I thought he had a decent game but it comes back to his inability to offer anything when we've got the ball, at one point he did superbly well to win the ball and drive forward only to panic when he got close to there goal and put in a slack pass in a dangerous area we could have scored from and that for me sums up Stevenson.

Imo we'll miss his tackling and energy but I'm hoping claros will make up for that by making us more effective and dangerous when we do have the ball.

Dinkydoo
08-04-2012, 04:53 PM
Imo we'll miss his tackling and energy but I'm hoping claros will make up for that by making us more effective and dangerous when we do have the ball.

This :agree:

Bobo
08-04-2012, 05:31 PM
Im no fan of lewis but I thought he had a decent game but it comes back to his inability to offer anything when we've got the ball, at one point he did superbly well to win the ball and drive forward only to panic when he got close to there goal and put in a slack pass in a dangerous area we could have scored from and that for me sums up Stevenson.

Stevenson was good at breaking up their moves in midfield and getting behind the ball but offers little in a creative sense going forward. His passing is poor as is his decision making and that lets his overall performance down.

He has a big heart for a wee lad but more often than not loses out to stronger opponents, a good player for us this season in a very poor pool of players, ordinerally nothing more than a squad player for me.

number9dream
08-04-2012, 05:53 PM
Good first half, followed by major fade.
Sproule looked good as did O'Connor and back five for most of the game.
Stevenson & Ozzy solid enough.
Soares is not a wide player but we don't have any - other than Sproule.
And somebody tell Griffiths to get in the bloody penalty box a bit more often!

Atalanta
08-04-2012, 06:14 PM
Much better performance in the first half. Looked confident and willing to have a go. Second half it looked like a different team. All the fear was back. Sat far too deep and conceded the midfield and when we had the ball we stopped passing and resorted to long punts up the field. The only surprise was it too so long before Motherwell equalised.

Steven_Hibs
08-04-2012, 06:21 PM
I felt we were a lot more competitive. Unlucky to not see the game out, but if you are going to sit deep like we did, you need every man behind the ball, working as a unit. Well played to Sproule too, taking players on and trying to get the ball into the box, shame that there is only one player in it at a time mind you, need someone making late runs into the box, hopefully that comes with a bit more fitness work.

Jonnyboy
08-04-2012, 07:02 PM

ggtth

Dearie me

Point me towards any player in that team who didn't make the odd mistake? This Lewis bashing is pathetic

seven nowt
08-04-2012, 08:19 PM
I think anyone who says we didn't play well today is stupid.

I thought we were below average. definitely missing something. We need a matchwinner.

Stantons Angel
08-04-2012, 08:34 PM
For Gawds sake, not another Lewis is crap post on here yet again!!!!
Sometimes i wonder if i am at the same game as you lot?
Next Saturday will show Lewis's worth to the team. He will be leaving a hole in the middle of that midfield to be filled.
Claros has a big reputation as being a "pitbull" but ive yet to hear him "bark" or see him bare his "teeth"?
I really don't care who plays there as long as we win!!!

Give Lewis a break!!!

Holmesdale Hibs
08-04-2012, 09:07 PM
I thought the whole team, Stevenson included, played well. I agree with the earlier posts supporting him and he has, IMO, been our player of the season. To call him a 'weak link' is nonsense.

Sproule was MOM for me but McPake, Stevenson and Hanlon were also good. Everyone played well against a good team and were unlucky not to win.

The players looked knackered at the end and were all clearly giving 100%, including GOC who has had his commitment questioned recently. He looks like a player who's benefited from a kick up the arse.

The ref had a shocker and made some inexplicable decisions. No wonder players get frustrated. Fortunately none of the decisions contributed to the outcome of the game.

ronaldo7
08-04-2012, 09:11 PM
Much better performance in the first half. Looked confident and willing to have a go. Second half it looked like a different team. All the fear was back. Sat far too deep and conceded the midfield and when we had the ball we stopped passing and resorted to long punts up the field. The only surprise was it too so long before Motherwell equalised.

:agree: Nail on the head.

Their goal was always coming, it was only a matter of time.

We need to get out of our box and stop teams coming at us.

NAE NOOKIE
09-04-2012, 06:06 AM
In the first half we were as good as we have been for months at ER.

In the 2nd we sat back too deep and allowed Motherwell too much of the ball, leading to a poor defensive header which resulted in their goal.

Failure to get players into the box when we had crossing opportunities cost us a bit IMO it would be nice to see at least one midfield player bust a gut to get in there.

It would also be nice if Mr Stack would be good enough to come for crosses which are more than a foot from his line. No chance with the goal though.

Having said that it was a lot better performance than our last few home games and it was good to see everybody working hard, Griffiths and Sproule in particular. In fact beginning to think Ivan would make a decent right back.

On to the semi now .... at least we wont be complacent given Aberdeen's win on Saturday.

yeezus.
09-04-2012, 08:30 AM
Wish I was there yesterday. I had to work all weekend but from what I can gather we were looking a lot better

JimBHibees
09-04-2012, 09:24 AM
Thought we were good yesterday, First half was as good as we have played for ages think we ran out of steam a bit in the second half however thought the goal was unexpected as we had defended well and didnt look like conceding.

Will be interesting to see who takes Lewis's place at Hampden as he will be a miss wouldnt be that surprised if it was someone like Francomb to try and do the Lewis spoiling role.