PDA

View Full Version : 7110

HIBERNIAN-0762
08-04-2012, 03:00 PM
The lowest crowd for a league game at ER for how long?

Quite embarrassing actually but what do we expect, Petrie really needs to lower prices for the rest of the season to get more punters in, it's the least he can do by way of an apology to us long suffering fans.

Thoughts?

Hibercelona
08-04-2012, 03:03 PM
There is a few obvious factors.

But I don't think being pissed about with K.O times helps too much either.

col02
08-04-2012, 03:06 PM
Given it is Easter day I do not think the prospect of a 12.30pm ko was hardly going to grab anyone's attention was it? Biggest bug bear for me at the moment is the absence of regular Saturday football at 3pm.

SlickShoes
08-04-2012, 03:08 PM
My thoughts are that it is live on TV and like the commentators said, we have only won 1 home league game this season, so what do you expect?

Personally I am saving my money for Saturday, with ticket prices the way they are I can't afford to attend more than 1 game a month, this month it's the semi final.

hibsbollah
08-04-2012, 03:09 PM
Its not embarassing at all. Totally to be expected.

cocopops1875
08-04-2012, 03:11 PM
we nearly missed it as assumed it was a 3 kick off, but as stated easter sunday with game on tv + 12.30 ko it was never gonna be a big hit, shocked by how few well fans were here given the form they have been in

Pretty Boy
08-04-2012, 03:12 PM
I was there today but can understand why some felt the need to give it a miss, especially with a big away trip next week.

Those who where there seen a pretty entertaining game and Hibs all but secure SPL safety. Not a day for complaints IMO.

Albion Hibs
08-04-2012, 03:16 PM
Easter sunday, game on a sunday (again), at 12:30, and on the TV. There is a load of reasons why people did not turn up, lowering the prices is not the answer for me. As a ST holder I would not be overly happy with the prices being taken down the the rest of the season unless season ticket holders got compensation via ST price for next season etc. As always if folk want to be there and can afford to be there they will be, the prices are the prices.

Spike Mandela
08-04-2012, 03:17 PM

It is totally to be expected but nonetheless it doesn't alter the fact it is an embarrassing home attendance.

Albion Hibs
08-04-2012, 03:18 PM
I was there today but can understand why some felt the need to give it a miss, especially with a big away trip next week.

Those who where there seen a pretty entertaining game and Hibs all but secure SPL safety. Not a day for complaints IMO.

Agreed and the atmosphere was better from the 7000 odd than it has been for a long time. I thought as fans we were very good today.

Monts
08-04-2012, 03:25 PM
Easter sunday, game on a sunday (again), at 12:30, and on the TV. There is a load of reasons why people did not turn up, lowering the prices is not the answer for me. As a ST holder I would not be overly happy with the prices being taken down the the rest of the season unless season ticket holders got compensation via ST price for next season etc. As always if folk want to be there and can afford to be there they will be, the prices are the prices.

Oh well, might as well make the price £50 a game, cos if folk want to be there...

Albion Hibs
08-04-2012, 03:30 PM
Oh well, might as well make the price £50 a game, cos if folk want to be there...

Grow up. if that is what you are taking from the above you need to put the glass down. The put the prices down shout is boring, and it begs nothing more than the "to what?" question, the answer inevitably being still higher than some are feel it is worth. The end result being ST holders loose out, as importantly so does the club.

WindyMiller
08-04-2012, 03:32 PM
Agreed and the atmosphere was better from the 7000 odd than it has been for a long time. I thought as fans we were very good today.

:aok:

Thought the same.

Monts
08-04-2012, 03:35 PM
Grow up. if that is what you are taking from the above you need to put the glass down. The put the prices down shout is boring, and it begs nothing more than the "to what?" question, the answer inevitably being still higher than some are feel it is worth. The end result being ST holders loose out, as importantly so does the club.

Grow up. Thanks for that. Not sure why I need to put down my orange squash.

You initially said lowering the prices wont affect attendances. Then you go on to say if people can afford it they will come. So by your logic surely if the prices are lower, more people will come.

Albion Hibs
08-04-2012, 03:38 PM
Grow up. Thanks for that. Not sure why I need to put down my orange squash.

You initially said lowering the prices wont affect attendances. Then you go on to say if people can afford it they will come. So by your logic surely if the prices are lower, more people will come.

My point was, clearly, the prices are what they are, everytime there is an attendance which is deemed to be disaterously low the "price" shout comes out. I stated, clearly, there was a host of reasons that the attendance was low.

You were the one that commented on price tweaks, so let me ask you what should prices have been today?

jws1875
08-04-2012, 03:43 PM
Its the easter weekend there going to be alot of people away with children to a football easter festival, or even playing in one themselves, tv schedules have ruined attendances

Danderhall Hibs
08-04-2012, 03:47 PM
You were the one that commented on price tweaks, so let me ask you what should prices have been today?

£15 adults, £5 for kids, and seeing as Easter seems to have started being a family day why not chuck in a free Easter egg for the kids.

Monts
08-04-2012, 03:47 PM
My point was, clearly, the prices are what they are, everytime there is an attendance which is deemed to be disaterously low the "price" shout comes out. I stated, clearly, there was a host of reasons that the attendance was low.

Its not just one attendance that has been deemed as low though is it. Its been a season of them, and throughout scottish football there has been a steady decline in the last 10 years. Football used to be for the common man, but now its hard to find a more expensive form of entertainment.

As a season ticket holder, I dont know what the cost of a ticket today was. But in my opinion there should be a cross the board price of around £15 for every game. The practise of having different pricing for different games is just another deterrent for those that can only make a handful of games.

scoopyboy
08-04-2012, 03:48 PM

Quite embarrassing actually but what do we expect, Petrie really needs to lower prices for the rest of the season to get more punters in, it's the least he can do by way of an apology to us long suffering fans.

Thoughts?

F*** lowering the prices.

What message does that send out to season ticket holders apart from it makes no sense to renew if Hibs are going to drop the price at the drop of a hat.

At a time where its all hands on deck and as a club Hibs are trying to punt season tickets the last thing I would do is lower prices.

hibsbollah
08-04-2012, 03:48 PM

Sounded good on the radio.

LancashireHibby
08-04-2012, 03:49 PM
All down to playing on Easter Sunday at such a ridiculous time, simple as that.

Danderhall Hibs
08-04-2012, 03:51 PM

What message does that send out to season ticket holders apart from it makes no sense to renew if Hibs are going to drop the price at the drop of a hat.

At a time where its all hands on deck and as a club Hibs are trying to punt season tickets the last thing I would do is lower prices.

They should have put the prices up to £35 so ST holders think they're getting a bargain.

Danderhall Hibs
08-04-2012, 03:52 PM
All down to playing on Easter Sunday at such a ridiculous time, simple as that.

What's the big fuss about Easter Sunday? Do that many folk really go to church and that?

LancashireHibby
08-04-2012, 03:54 PM
What's the big fuss about Easter Sunday? Do that many folk really go to church and that?
From a personal point of view, it means a day for the kids, not to mention the trains not running.

blackpoolhibs
08-04-2012, 03:56 PM

I disagree Scoops, i'd let everyone in for free at the moment. And next season i'd make season tickets a lot cheaper, £300 tops. Football is much too expensive now, add the ridiculous days and times and people dont need excuses not to attend these days.

Danderhall Hibs
08-04-2012, 03:56 PM
From a personal point of view, it means a day for the kids, not to mention the trains not running.

I've got kids but other than them get a load of chocolate of folk, it's just a normal Sunday.

hibbymark
08-04-2012, 03:57 PM

Thoughts?

Not embarressed at all. Am I supposed to be embarrassed for the people who never attended or the yam fuds who will mock the attendance because they sell out the bus shelter every week? :confused:

NORTHERNHIBBY
08-04-2012, 04:04 PM
Was todays' crowd lower than the home game with ICT? For the likes of myself that have to travel a bit, it kinda means writing off your Saturday night.

scoopyboy
08-04-2012, 04:06 PM
I disagree Scoops, i'd let everyone in for free at the moment. And next season i'd make season tickets a lot cheaper, £300 tops. Football is much too expensive now, add the ridiculous days and times and people dont need excuses not to attend these days.

Too late though mate, the season ticket prices are down in black and white for next season.

I appreciate not everyone can afford a season ticket but for me the answer isn't lowering the prices.

Every suggestion always seems to be at the expense of season ticket holders and IMO the last thing Hibs want to do is p*** off ST holders, especially those who haven't yet renewed.

scoopyboy
08-04-2012, 04:07 PM
They should have put the prices up to £35 so ST holders think they're getting a bargain.

One of your better ideas!!!!

blackpoolhibs
08-04-2012, 04:13 PM
Too late though mate, the season ticket prices are down in black and white for next season.

I appreciate not everyone can afford a season ticket but for me the answer isn't lowering the prices.

Every suggestion always seems to be at the expense of season ticket holders and IMO the last thing Hibs want to do is p*** off ST holders, especially those who haven't yet renewed.

:agree: I understand what you are saying about pissing off season ticket holders, although i'm one and wouldn't mind the club letting everyone in for free for the last 2 games.

When you listen to most folks gripes, the price is up there with daft times and days as the biggest problem Hibs have attracting folk in.

Maybe not this season, but i'd love to see whoever looks at season ticket prices and sets the price, have a look at what Hartlepool did. It was a huge success, and they sold record amounts by making them cheaper the more they sold.

I just wonder if it would work at Hibs?

Albion Hibs
08-04-2012, 04:13 PM
Its not just one attendance that has been deemed as low though is it. Its been a season of them, and throughout scottish football there has been a steady decline in the last 10 years. Football used to be for the common man, but now its hard to find a more expensive form of entertainment.

As a season ticket holder, I dont know what the cost of a ticket today was. But in my opinion there should be a cross the board price of around £15 for every game. The practise of having different pricing for different games is just another deterrent for those that can only make a handful of games.

So seven quid and the flood gates will be bursting open?

So on the numbers that were there today, and your seven quid price reduction the club is circa 50k down. Across the balance of the season circa 150k, which is perhaps a contract for say McPake - what would you rather have?

On todays numbers and your prices we would have needed another 3,500 fans - do you think that is likely?

NAE NOOKIE
08-04-2012, 04:14 PM
Its a pity.

Well done to the folks who did turm up

blackpoolhibs
08-04-2012, 04:17 PM

So on the numbers that were there today, and your seven quid price reduction the club is circa 50k down. Across the balance of the season circa 150k, which is perhaps a contract for say McPake - what would you rather have?

On todays numbers and your prices we would have needed another 3,500 fans - do you think that is likely?

I'd like a better team, others manage it on much less than us?

scoopyboy
08-04-2012, 04:18 PM
:agree: I understand what you are saying about pissing off season ticket holders, although i'm one and wouldn't mind the club letting everyone in for free for the last 2 games.

When you listen to most folks gripes, the price is up there with daft times and days as the biggest problem Hibs have attracting folk in.

Maybe not this season, but i'd love to see whoever looks at season ticket prices and sets the price, have a look at what Hartlepool did. It was a huge success, and they sold record amounts by making them cheaper the more they sold.

I just wonder if it would work at Hibs?

Whilst disagreeing Blackpool, we aren't that far away from agreeing!

I agree that as a club Hibs could do with reviewing ST pricing.

Danderhall Hibs
One of your better ideas!!!!

The best ones come to me when I've not got that much time to think about them!

Golden Bear

Therein lies the route of the problem though.

Mediocre football players (in general terms), command far too much in the way of wages but it's difficult to turn the clock back. They just don't live in the real world I'm afraid.

scoopyboy
08-04-2012, 04:19 PM
The best ones come to me when I've not got that much time to think about them!

Commonly known as natural talent DH.

Monts
08-04-2012, 04:27 PM

10 500 at a hibs game? Its not exactly unheard of is it. The effect of a big crowd can also have an affect on the players. And at £85000 per league place, then if we finished 9th instead of 11th due to that then we're quids in.

Obviously its all hypothetical, but we cant continue how we are. Its a downward spiral. Lower crowds mean poorer football, poorer football means lower crowds. Something needs to be done to curb that trend.

Albion Hibs
08-04-2012, 04:37 PM
Therein lies the route of the problem though.

Mediocre football players (in general terms), command far too much in the way of wages but it's difficult to turn the clock back. They just don't live in the real world I'm afraid.

I disagree, I dont think someone that has a 15 year career is not living in the real world if they want a package of £150k per year towards their peak earning years. It is a high paying industry end of. We want a team that competes then it has to be paid for. And the fact of the matter even at 150k a year our players are towards the bottom end of it as far as the sport in general goes. In addition i think mediocre players probably earn a lot more than that.

Albion Hibs
08-04-2012, 04:49 PM
10 500 at a hibs game? Its not exactly unheard of is it. The effect of a big crowd can also have an affect on the players. And at £85000 per league place, then if we finished 9th instead of 11th due to that then we're quids in.

Obviously its all hypothetical, but we cant continue how we are. Its a downward spiral. Lower crowds mean poorer football, poorer football means lower crowds. Something needs to be done to curb that trend.

So you think seven quid off on easter sunday, 12:30 KO when the game is on tv would have got a crowd of 3500 more?

We will not get into league places as this is a question of game pricing where £15 seems to be the magic number.

The big crowd theory was proved to be wrong today IMO. I thought the 7000 were louder than some of our bigger crowds over the course of the season.

The £15 pricing obviously disregards any ST prices, apply the 30% difference would of course have to be accounted for there, making the 50k for today alone even more significant.

No business can afford to run on a reduction of 30% in pricing against the industry i would have thought, and equally desipte you thinking we may have got 3,500 more today I would strongly disagree with that and the risk in terms of lower certain revenue (ST) and even less certain walk up prices would have us in a seriously dangerous financial position i would have thought. This ultimatley being reflected on the pitch and the type of players we can get next year.

As I said in my original post the cost of watching football is the cost of watching football, no club can afford to take a risk or moral high ground (see Killie V's Celtic), if people can afford to go and want to then they will. I dont agree that ST holders should pay the price of results on the pitch, and I dont agree of just straight up price cuts. Something more inventive perhaps, but taking seven quid off, no, that wont do anything to help hibs and the majority of the fans.

Keith_M
08-04-2012, 05:11 PM
There should be two levels of payment involved in the TV deal, one for league positions and a second level where the home team are given a set amount per game to compensate for lost revenue. That payment could then be used to encourage fans to turn up by discounting the PATG prices.

This would affect the value of having a ST but, IMHO, that is already far too high for Adult prices, so needs to be reduced anyway.

I'd like to see this at least tried because the attendances at ER have really started to decline and it would at least be something to encourage people to actually turn up.

blackpoolhibs
08-04-2012, 05:13 PM
Prices for PATG and season tickets are too high NOW, the ceiling has been hit and passed for a lot of people. :rolleyes:

Nakedmanoncrack
08-04-2012, 05:14 PM
Price reductions would have had little or no effect on the crowd, look how many people with Season Tickets didn't turn up today.

blackpoolhibs
08-04-2012, 05:17 PM
Price reductions would have had little or no effect on the crowd, look how many people with Season Tickets didn't turn up today.

The price of football now is one of many reasons crowds are dwindling, although its also fair to say the higher it goes less people can afford it.

ancient hibee
08-04-2012, 05:22 PM
Scottish football has to get a grip in the TV arrangements.The TV companies have got a wonderful deal here with hours of low cost TV-especially when you consider that a bog standard half hour programme can cost the thick end of a million quid to put out.

Dashing Bob S
08-04-2012, 05:23 PM

I'll go for both.

Ozyhibby
08-04-2012, 05:24 PM
The lunchtime kick offs are killing attendances. I know of 5 season ticket holders who did not go today because of the early kick off.
The 700k that Hibs will receive from this years tv will easily be cancelled out by the money we have lost with lower crowds.

Big Frank
08-04-2012, 05:38 PM

:not worth

Tom Hart RIP
08-04-2012, 05:48 PM
:not worth

Why not give all season ticket holders two free tickets fir rest if home games and ask them to take lapsed fans

Big Frank
08-04-2012, 05:50 PM
Why not give all season ticket holders two free tickets fir rest if home games and ask them to take lapsed fans

Great idea.

but why are you asking me? :wink:

Tom Hart RIP
08-04-2012, 05:55 PM
Great idea.

but why are you asking me? :wink:

Sorry. Haven't mastered this yet.

greenlex
08-04-2012, 06:04 PM
They should have let the kids in for free and gave them an Easter Egg to roll down the slope. :agree:

At The Edge
08-04-2012, 06:06 PM
There may have only been just over 7000 at ER today, but it was probably the most positive i've heard it all season.
It certainly looked like the players we're responding to the vibes coming from the stands.

:pfgwa

Atalanta
08-04-2012, 06:08 PM
Only one win in the league all season is why there were so few people there. Until we have a team that starts winning on a regular basis and the excitement of coming to watch Hibs play returns the crowds will continue to dwindle. Most home games this season have been dire. If I didn't have a season ticket I wouldn't have bothered coming either.

Bishop Hibee
08-04-2012, 06:11 PM
A game on Easter Sunday lunchtime, a day second only to Christmas for families to come together was always going to lead to a low crowd. 2 of my 6 ST holders didn't come as on holiday and another for family commitments. I got rid of 2 of the ST's but couldn't give the other way.

Price was not the major factor for the much lower than average crowd in this case, date and time of the game and to a lesser extent TV were.

TornadoHibby
08-04-2012, 06:11 PM
£15 adults, £5 for kids, and seeing as Easter seems to have started being a family day why not chuck in a free Easter egg for the kids.

And do ST holders get an equivalent cash refund value per game if walk up prices are to be reduced for certain games only identified AFTER the ST has been signed up for and paid for!? :dunno:

WindyMiller
08-04-2012, 06:12 PM
They should have let the kids in for free and gave them an Easter Egg to roll down the slope. :agree:

No been for a while Lex?

:wink:

killie-hibby
08-04-2012, 06:18 PM

Thoughts?

No Hibs supporter or fan should be embarrassed by todays attendance. Embarrassment should be felt by the SPL delegates and Neil Doncaster who were stupid enough to sign a TV deal which fails to financially compensate clubs for substantial reductions in attendances for televised matches kicking off at times and days far divorced from the traditional 3pm Saturday KO's.Had they any respect for people who attend matches they would have insisted that any televised SPL game should always KO at a standard time and day. For instance 7.45 pm on Fridays or 6pm on Saturdays. It is obvious that Doncaster et al are clueless when it comes to the needs of supporters who spend valuable time and hard earned cash in supporting their teams. As has been frequently stated on this net, supporters who attend games are considered less of a priority than television viewers, the majority of whom are unlikely to have ever visited any football ground in Scotland.

Beefster
08-04-2012, 06:27 PM
No Hibs supporter or fan should be embarrassed by todays attendance. Embarrassment should be felt by the SPL delegates and Neil Doncaster who were stupid enough to sign a TV deal which fails to financially compensate clubs for substantial reductions in attendances for televised matches kicking off at times and days far divorced from the traditional 3pm Saturday KO's.Had they any respect for people who attend matches they would have insisted that any televised SPL game should always KO at a standard time and day. For instance 7.45 pm on Fridays or 6pm on Saturdays. It is obvious that Doncaster et al are clueless when it comes to the needs of supporters who spend valuable time and hard earned cash in supporting their teams. As has been frequently stated on this net, supporters who attend games are considered less of a priority than television viewers, the majority of whom are unlikely to have ever visited any football ground in Scotland.

I'd much rather the games were on a Saturday or Sunday lunchtime than took up my Friday or Saturday night.

The Falcon
08-04-2012, 06:28 PM

Thoughts?

We got a point against a team who have had a really good season. A point that takes us more than two wins clear of Dunfermline and most I spoke to were content with that at this time.

As others have said the most supportive the crowd have been for a while but lets have a pop because there werent as many there as you would have liked. :rolleyes:

killie-hibby
08-04-2012, 06:35 PM
I'd much rather the games were on a Saturday or Sunday lunchtime than took up my Friday or Saturday night.

That would be OK. IMOP all televised SPL games should KO at a standard time to help supporters regain the habit of a set or traditional KO time. Currently the timings are haphazard and only suit lazy b------s sitting at home.

Danderhall Hibs
08-04-2012, 06:36 PM
And do ST holders get an equivalent cash refund value per game if walk up prices are to be reduced for certain games only identified AFTER the ST has been signed up for and paid for!? :dunno:

No.

It'd work like a sale in the shops - if you buy a £30 t-shirt for someone's Christmas then see it in the sale in January for £15 they don't ring you up and offer you £15 back.

And anyway I've read the Board say most ST holders are at it and only pay around £14 per head per match?

LancashireHibby
08-04-2012, 06:37 PM
Trouble with a standard kick off time is that the SPL is relatively low down the priority list of the TV companies and is now virtually left as 'filler' when there aren't other games on etc.

HIBERNIAN-0762
08-04-2012, 06:37 PM
We got a point against a team who have had a really good season. A point that takes us more than two wins clear of Dunfermline and most I spoke to were content with that at this time.

As others have said the most supportive the crowd have been for a while but lets have a pop because there werent as many there as you would have liked. :rolleyes:

Wasn't having a pop Falcon, just a straight forward ask of what folk thought of it, it riles me too that we have to bend over for idiotic kick off times like this to appease TV bosses, and if we are making some kind of money from them then could just possibly drop admission prices in the run up to the end of the season.

Danderhall Hibs
08-04-2012, 06:40 PM
A game on Easter Sunday lunchtime, a day second only to Christmas for families to come together was always going to lead to a low crowd.

I'm really suprised at this - this has never been the way in my family - birthdays and that are always more of a priority than Easter - I know it's a religious thing but that would mean any game on a Sunday would be affected in the same way, due to church committments.

scoopyboy
08-04-2012, 06:42 PM
No.

It'd work like a sale in the shops - if you buy a £30 t-shirt for someone's Christmas then see it in the sale in January for £15 they don't ring you up and offer you £15 back.

And anyway I've read the Board say most ST holders are at it and only pay around £14 per head per match?

Mine's is £21.30 a game. Arrived at by dividing the cost of £405 by 19 league matches.

TheEastTerrace
08-04-2012, 06:43 PM
Seems we go around in circles on the attendances debate - for me, you put an entertaining, successful team in the park and supporters will turn up.

Whilst the crowds might not have dropped so much if the price was slightly 'fairer', I still think results and the standard of football are the two biggest issues.

Why do I think this? I remember going to Easter Road mid 90s when it can't have been more than a tenner for adults and about 6 notes for me as a junior - crowds were down to around 5000 odd for games against the likes of Thistle, Motherwell, etc. The reason - Hibs under Miller were like watching paint dry and mid table was about our level, give or take the odd season.

That said, I can't remember the support being so apathetic towards the club and those running it

SlickShoes
08-04-2012, 07:02 PM
Seems we go around in circles on the attendances debate - for me, you put an entertaining, successful team in the park and supporters will turn up.

Whilst the crowds might not have dropped so much if the price was slightly 'fairer', I still think results and the standard of football are the two biggest issues.

Why do I think this? I remember going to Easter Road mid 90s when it can't have been more than a tenner for adults and about 6 notes for me as a junior - crowds were down to around 5000 odd for games against the likes of Thistle, Motherwell, etc. The reason - Hibs under Miller were like watching paint dry and mid table was about our level, give or take the odd season.

That said, I can't remember the support being so apathetic towards the club and those running it

That's because the internet didnt exist, so your experience of everything was with the hardcore 5000 or more at the game and at the club before the game or your own pals, you werent thinking about Joe Moaner that will rage about almost anything.

I bet in the mid 90's there were just as many people hating on hibs as there are now, they just didnt have a place to let everyone else know this.

Bishop Hibee
08-04-2012, 07:21 PM
I'm really suprised at this - this has never been the way in my family - birthdays and that are always more of a priority than Easter - I know it's a religious thing but that would mean any game on a Sunday would be affected in the same way, due to church committments.

I don't think it's totally a religious thing. Loads of places like Botanic Gardens and restaurants had family orientated events today with an Easter theme, egg hunts etc. A valid excuse for anyone slithering about going to the game when we have been so poor all season.

That's because the internet didnt exist, so your experience of everything was with the hardcore 5000 or more at the game and at the club before the game or your own pals, you werent thinking about Joe Moaner that will rage about almost anything.

I bet in the mid 90's there were just as many people hating on hibs as there are now, they just didnt have a place to let everyone else know this.

Correct. Fearful abuse of the team at times in the 80's and of managers such as Blackley and Miller. Difference was this took place at the ground, you went for a pint and had a moan and then went home and hoped for better the next week. No forensic analysis on the internet, phone-ins and online highlights to examine repeatedly.

TheEastTerrace
08-04-2012, 07:33 PM

It's a fair point - the debates probably continued in workplaces and school playgrounds in the days before Internet

Gatecrasher
08-04-2012, 07:37 PM
Mine's is £21.30 a game. Arrived at by dividing the cost of £405 by 19 league matches.

and when 5/6 of the games are £28 PATG it works out no bad in comparison. I agree prices are too high and tv has too much power though

lucky
08-04-2012, 07:47 PM
TV is killing the game. The kick off times are absurd. Prices are not to far behind. But the biggest issue is performances. Hibs are ***** and the level of effort is worse. But today was our best performance all season. Dump the TV deal. Save Scottish football.

tony
08-04-2012, 07:55 PM
Just a view from the sidelines. I salute the supporters who go along week in week out. Today was my first time in a long time, taking my kids along for some weird Easter treat. 60 plus quid. Judging from those around me this seemed to be a not bad game. Maybe things are relative when your fighting relegation. It looked awfully poor to me. When did Scottish football completely give up flair and invention? Barely functional and pedestrian. 60 notes. Back to the sidelines until someone somewhere decides that football is about adventure and skill. There were folk around me almost having orgasms about a tackle or a particularly energetic track back. What happened?

Viva_Palmeiras
08-04-2012, 07:56 PM
Just Out of interest what's the attendances like at utd and motherwell?

I don't know the answer but id imagine there's not a massive step change. I suspect the economic reality is starting to bite exacerbated by availability on tv giving a saving.

Danderhall Hibs
08-04-2012, 08:00 PM
Just a view from the sidelines. I salute the supporters who go along week in week out. Today was my first time in a long time, taking my kids along for some weird Easter treat. 60 plus quid. Judging from those around me this seemed to be a not bad game. Maybe things are relative when your fighting relegation. It looked awfully poor to me. When did Scottish football completely give up flair and invention? Barely functional and pedestrian. 60 notes. Back to the sidelines until someone somewhere decides that football is about adventure and skill. There were folk around me almost having orgasms about a tackle or a particularly energetic track back. What happened?

:aok: I love the way you've written that. :greengrin

What about the cheer Soares got for a slide tackle, which was only required because of a horrendous 1st touch?

The Green Goblin
08-04-2012, 08:12 PM
It seems to me that the question is: did the tv money we got for todays game make it worth it? If we were filling the stadium at 3pm on a Saturday every week because the time never changed and you couldn't watch the game on tv, would that amount to much different from the money we get for the tv broadcast and havingto play the game at a ridiculous time in an "empty" stadium?

FranckSuzy
08-04-2012, 08:22 PM
To me, a ST holder who had other commitments and so wasn't there today, it appeared a pretty poor away support which obviously affected the attendance as well. Perhaps travel was tricky from Motherwell due to the holiday/early K.O.? Could hear the singing loud and clear on the TV tho' :aok:

Westie1875
08-04-2012, 08:32 PM
The lunchtime kick offs are killing attendances. I know of 5 season ticket holders who did not go today because of the early kick off.
The 700k that Hibs will receive from this years tv will easily be cancelled out by the money we have lost with lower crowds.

:agree: Something has to be done, we have had far too many matches moved for tv this season. The lunchtime kick offs are a joke, if they must move games for tv then a Friday night or 5pm on a Sat would attract much better crowds IMO.

Andy74
08-04-2012, 08:41 PM
12.30 on Easter Sunday and on TV. Mental.

Andy74
08-04-2012, 08:44 PM

The average on the whole is much lower. We have a large number evidently who are kids, OAPs, disabled or students.

greenlex
08-04-2012, 08:46 PM

In case you hadn't noticed we are team fighting relegation. A team that has over a few of the last handful of games not shown enough passion for the fight.
With this in mind and a regular goer I was quite pleased with the performance today.
Hope that helps.

hibsbollah
08-04-2012, 08:57 PM
It seems to me that the question is: did the tv money we got for todays game make it worth it? If we were filling the stadium at 3pm on a Saturday every week because the time never changed and you couldn't watch the game on tv, would that amount to much different from the money we get for the tv broadcast and havingto play the game at a ridiculous time in an "empty" stadium?

Almost certainly not. The TV money equates to a financial equivalent of just 2000-3000 extra bums on seats per home game.

The TV deal COSTS HIBS MONEY.

DH1875
08-04-2012, 09:13 PM
Any game at ER with a 12/12.30 kick off is a no no for me. Really makes no sence for me what so ever to get a ST.

tony
08-04-2012, 09:19 PM
In case you hadn't noticed we are team fighting relegation. A team that has over a few of the last handful of games not shown enough passion for the fight.
With this in mind and a regular goer I was quite pleased with the performance today.
Hope that helps.

I'm happy to stand corrected by a regular. In our position a battling point was most welcome. Still for sixty quid the standard of football from both teams was awful. Midfield was a concept to be avoided. Chances happened rather than were created. And football players? Couldn't see a single one on the park. We might stay up and we'll no doubt rejoice. After today it just seems a little like the band playing on as the ship sinks. Crap fare won't bring people back.

But yes,expectations are different and those who have been in it for the long haul take positives that I find hard to see.

No offence intended to all those regular attenders!

WindyMiller
08-04-2012, 09:24 PM
To me, a ST holder who had other commitments and so wasn't there today, it appeared a pretty poor away support which obviously affected the attendance as well. Perhaps travel was tricky from Motherwell due to the holiday/early K.O.? Could hear the singing loud and clear on the TV tho' :aok:

250-300.:dunno:

erin go bragh
08-04-2012, 10:00 PM
So you think seven quid off on easter sunday, 12:30 KO when the game is on tv would have got a crowd of 3500 more?

We will not get into league places as this is a question of game pricing where £15 seems to be the magic number.

The big crowd theory was proved to be wrong today IMO. I thought the 7000 were louder than some of our bigger crowds over the course of the season.

The £15 pricing obviously disregards any ST prices, apply the 30% difference would of course have to be accounted for there, making the 50k for today alone even more significant.

No business can afford to run on a reduction of 30% in pricing against the industry i would have thought, and equally desipte you thinking we may have got 3,500 more today I would strongly disagree with that and the risk in terms of lower certain revenue (ST) and even less certain walk up prices would have us in a seriously dangerous financial position i would have thought. This ultimatley being reflected on the pitch and the type of players we can get next year.

As I said in my original post the cost of watching football is the cost of watching football, no club can afford to take a risk or moral high ground (see Killie V's Celtic), if people can afford to go and want to then they will. I dont agree that ST holders should pay the price of results on the pitch, and I dont agree of just straight up price cuts. Something more inventive perhaps, but taking seven quid off, no, that wont do anything to help hibs and the majority of the fans.
Drop prices to £15 and give season ticket holders a £7 voucher for the hibs shop :cb
Win win .
ggtth

Saorsa
08-04-2012, 10:01 PM

Thoughts?we might get better when television stops dictating stupid ****in' KO times

FranckSuzy
08-04-2012, 10:02 PM
250-300.:dunno:

They're third in the league so pretty poor IMHO.

SouthamptonHibs
08-04-2012, 10:12 PM
[QUOTE=FranckSuzy;3172968]They're third in the league so pretty poor IMHO.[/QUOT

i watch english football most weeks prices r no worse in championship than spl. problem is league is more compeditive due to having more teams. fans turn up due to playing teams once at home each year. football can be awful down here but they dont moan as much as scottish fans. problem is teams like us r 3 4 or 5 th best team in scotland and our fans compare us against man u chekski etc. maybe in the 70's those days have gone. We r on par with championship easy. fans need to look at themselves and have a word £20 or so is a decent price to pay for a game. problem is our 12 team league and the fans expectations of signings due to watchng sky sports etc hail hail

scoopyboy
08-04-2012, 11:19 PM
The average on the whole is much lower. We have a large number evidently who are kids, OAPs, disabled or students.

I agree with that, Andy.

However in selfish mode mines is over £21 and over a season I would guess miss two games and I've lost out.

Albion Hibs
09-04-2012, 12:30 AM
Drop prices to £15 and give season ticket holders a £7 voucher for the hibs shop :cb
Win win .
ggtth

holy sh$t i could get a mug and a coaster.......well another one anyway!

Beefster
09-04-2012, 06:00 AM
I'm happy to stand corrected by a regular. In our position a battling point was most welcome. Still for sixty quid the standard of football from both teams was awful. Midfield was a concept to be avoided. Chances happened rather than were created. And football players? Couldn't see a single one on the park. We might stay up and we'll no doubt rejoice. After today it just seems a little like the band playing on as the ship sinks. Crap fare won't bring people back.

But yes,expectations are different and those who have been in it for the long haul take positives that I find hard to see.

No offence intended to all those regular attenders!

Don't worry, there are some of us who go every week who think it's poor value for money too. You're right about the quality too - it can't keep some of the regulars going so it's unlikely to attract many new supporters.

Lucius Apuleius
09-04-2012, 06:12 AM

Think you will find even then we had an incarnation of Hibs net :-) Thankfully not as many people with internet access though.

lucky
09-04-2012, 07:04 AM
Money is tight so fans bought SF tickets instead off going to a league game at 1230 on Easter Sunday which was on tv. We would all like ER to be full bit i thought today was a good atmosphere.

HUTCHYHIBBY
09-04-2012, 07:17 AM
There were folk around me almost having orgasms about a tackle or a particularly energetic track back. What happened?

The Sproule thread is a prime example of this. Have folks expectations dropped to such a level that they are raving about what seemed to me at least to be the sort of performance these guys should be putting in every game.

marinello59
09-04-2012, 07:33 AM
Don't worry, there are some of us who go every week who think it's poor value for money too. You're right about the quality too - it can't keep some of the regulars going so it's unlikely to attract many new supporters.

There have been plenty arguing recently though that quality doesn't matter as long as there is competition giving more meaningful matches. Well a relegation battle may not be the preferred competition but at least the games are meaningful. Isn't this the brave new world so many crave?:devil:

NAE NOOKIE
09-04-2012, 07:38 AM
There were a number of factors which contributed to the low crowd, but the main ones were TV, Kick off time, Hibs poor form and the fact that some folk had to choose between this game and the semi next Saturday.

Theres not much we can do in the short term about Hibs form on the pitch. But the other stuff can be addressed now and should be.

I for one dont mind kick off times being moved for TV too much. What I do mind is the stupid times they are moved to. 12:30 on a Sunday is just rediculous for any game, as is 12:15 for the semi next Saturday when one set of fans have over a hundred miles to travel.

As it is I will have to be oot ma bed at about 6:30 next Saturday in order to make the bus I am going with. For a lazy git like me thats a trial.

I would rather see us kick off at 8:00pm on a Friday than lunchtime on a Saturday or Sunday. The trouble is that we are the starter course for the main dishes from the EPL. That will never change.

Mind you, if the majority of our league games were played in the Summer there would be no EPL to compete with and the TV games could be played at 3:00pm on a Sunday or 5:30pm on a Saturday.

Look at it this way. If you ran a shop which was only open from August to May and a huge TESCO opened next door which was also only open during those months, what would you do. Change the months you opened I would have thought.

fit o' the walk
09-04-2012, 08:32 AM
I know it would never happen but at our next home game make it a freebie for all,(settle down ST holders,it wont happen)just to test how much is down to cost,ko time or apathy,etc. Would be interesting to see the crowd,i still dont think we would get large numbers attending.

Greentinted
09-04-2012, 08:38 AM
I disagree, I dont think someone that has a 15 year career is not living in the real world if they want a package of £150k per year towards their peak earning years. It is a high paying industry end of. We want a team that competes then it has to be paid for. And the fact of the matter even at 150k a year our players are towards the bottom end of it as far as the sport in general goes. In addition i think mediocre players probably earn a lot more than that.

They could get real like the rest of us and work in another industry for the rest of their working lives to augment the earnings accrued in the sanctified realms of chasin a ba' aroond a park fur money...

marinello59
09-04-2012, 08:40 AM
They could get real like the rest of us and work in another industry for the rest of their working lives to augment the earnings accrued in the sanctified realms of chasin a ba' aroond a park fur money...

Imagine them taking a game that seriously. Thankfully us fans don't. :greengrin

Greentinted
09-04-2012, 08:52 AM
Imagine them taking a game that seriously. Thankfully us fans don't. :greengrin

Merely a touch of hyperbole to make the point. :greengrin

Although it's a fair comment you make, many on here have questioned the commitment of playing and coaching staff (particularly in the recent declining years). And aye, we do take it seriously as our investment/agenda is an emotional one as opposed to that of many of the journeyman who (or their agents) rate themselves worthy of stupid wages.
I've heard, in conversations with fans of many different clubs, folks say things along the lines of "I'm no paying £Y amount, so that some wee over-rated prima-donna can walk away with at least 30xY...It's just no worth it"

I don't have the answers, there are many different reasons why folks have become disaffected with football, particularly in Scotland, but the financial aspect is certainly one of them.

TornadoHibby
09-04-2012, 10:05 AM
No.

Maybe if your were a regular and valued loyal customer at that shop you refer to then they might just think about a refund for you just in case you start to think that the benefit of lending the seller a year's worth of purchases from a date before the product sale can be delivered is actually not so much of a benefit after all! :dunno:

And if your final sentence has any legs to it, perhaps the club should be carrying out more secure due diligence on the ST applications to ensure that people can only purchase ST's to which they are ACTUALLY entitled! :confused:

Phil MaGlass
09-04-2012, 10:13 AM
The club should have said, anyone who buys a ST for next season will have free entrance to all the remaining home games this season plus first shout at Final tix if we get there. Surely that wouldnt have got folks backs up?

ballengeich
09-04-2012, 10:13 AM
Any game at ER with a 12/12.30 kick off is a no no for me. Really makes no sence for me what so ever to get a ST.

Similar for me. If the 'Well game had been at 3 on Saturday I'd have been at ER, but I couldn't go yesterday. Went to a junior game on Saturday instead.

TornadoHibby
09-04-2012, 10:24 AM
The club should have said, anyone who buys a ST for next season will have free entrance to all the remaining home games this season plus first shout at Final tix if we get there. Surely that wouldnt have got folks backs up?

What about the ST holders for this season whose cash was largely used to pay off Calderwood and pay for the dead wood players that he brought to the club now mostly long gone!? :confused:

TornadoHibby
09-04-2012, 12:48 PM
Maybe if your were a regular and valued loyal customer at that shop you refer to then they might just think about a refund for you just in case you start to think that the benefit of lending the seller a year's worth of purchases from a date before the product sale can be delivered is actually not so much of a benefit after all! :dunno:

And if your final sentence has any legs to it, perhaps the club should be carrying out more secure due diligence on the ST applications to ensure that people can only purchase ST's to which they are ACTUALLY entitled! :confused:

What about the ST holders for this season whose cash was largely used to pay off Calderwood and pay for the dead wood players that he brought to the club now mostly long gone!? :confused:

These posts seem to have been "show stoppers" on this thread for some reason!?

NAE NOOKIE
09-04-2012, 01:16 PM

Ach .. one of the things which makes the World interesting is the fact that folk who might not have had a chance in normal life can get rich, or at least set themselves up for life, by being good at football, golf, boxing or whatever. Dinnae have a problem with it.

Anyway I dont think I would like it if 10,000 people watched me doing my job with half of them thinking they could do it better than me and the other half screaming abuse when I didnt carry out my duties to their satisfaction.

Pete
09-04-2012, 01:31 PM
There have been plenty arguing recently though that quality doesn't matter as long as there is competition giving more meaningful matches. Well a relegation battle may not be the preferred competition but at least the games are meaningful. Isn't this the brave new world so many crave?:devil:

I would be willing to accept a league full of games like that for fifteen for adults and five for kids. I would even buy some STs if they were priced in relation to these cheap walk up prices. I agree that its harsh on current STs to do more deals to let guys in cheaper. Unless they're rewarded it sort of contradicts the message the board are sending out now.
Ticket prices and player wages might be what they are due to market forces but they also stopped me from going yesterday. I couldn't justify £22 for an adult and god knows what for a kid. Its not acceptable and the league has to change as a whole. Prices are dictated by value for money as well as demand and there was absolutely none of either on sunday.

Speedy
09-04-2012, 03:29 PM
These posts seem to have been "show stoppers" on this thread for some reason!?

What I would do with season tickets is give the buyer their season ticket and a voucher for £50 (or whatever) off their season ticket for the following season. I would also give a lesser voucher, e.g. £25 off, to walk up fans who attended say 15 (home) games.

This way we would have a loyalty incentive and people would have more of a reason to renew.

And to answer your question about conpensating season ticket holders if prices were reduced this season, why not give them a voucher for c. £25 off next season? It might cost the club revenue but if it make 1 out of 10 that were going to cancel reconsider then it would be doing us a favour. *

Ultimately though, if it feels like a chore then people won't go even it is free...this is the real issue.

*Disclaimer: This post may contain fag packet maths :greengrin

TornadoHibby
09-04-2012, 05:15 PM
What I would do with season tickets is give the buyer their season ticket and a voucher for £50 (or whatever) off their season ticket for the following season. I would also give a lesser voucher, e.g. £25 off, to walk up fans who attended say 15 (home) games.

This way we would have a loyalty incentive and people would have more of a reason to renew.

And to answer your question about conpensating season ticket holders if prices were reduced this season, why not give them a voucher for c. £25 off next season? It might cost the club revenue but if it make 1 out of 10 that were going to cancel reconsider then it would be doing us a favour. *

Ultimately though, if it feels like a chore then people won't go even it is free...this is the real issue.

*Disclaimer: This post may contain fag packet maths :greengrin

Thanks for your comments which reflect the view that if discounts to walk up prices are to be offered at any stage of the season after the ST sign up period ends, similar discounts must be offered to the ST holders if they are to be retained as such for the next season IMO! :agree::agree:

That's why I was asking the respective posters to whom I replied to explain why they felt that such action was "not an option" for the ST holders to be given in such circumstances as were being mooted! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I guess the fact that they haven't commented probably means their comments were simply mischeivous or they have had better things to do today! :agree: :greengrin

Danderhall Hibs
09-04-2012, 07:25 PM

Well my missus has the Next Directory and they definitely don't give her money back when the price of the stuff she bought earlier in the year is then sold at 1/2 the price in the sale(s). :confused:

As for your 2nd point you're right - the Club should be cracking down on those using someone else's name to scam a student or OAP ST.

marinello59
09-04-2012, 08:11 PM
Well my missus has the Next Directory and they definitely don't give her money back when the price of the stuff she bought earlier in the year is then sold at 1/2 the price in the sale(s). :confused:

Why are you confused? Your wife doesn't get told if she buys all of her years clothing in one go an advantage will be it will be cheaper than buying it item by item. If you didn't just ignore that point every time it has been made to you on similar threads you would no longer be confused.

Danderhall Hibs
09-04-2012, 08:20 PM
Why are you confused? Your wife doesn't get told if she buys all of her years clothing in one go an advantage will be it will be cheaper than buying it item by item. If you didn't just ignore that point every time it has been made to you on similar threads you would no longer be confused.

It is cheaper to buy it in one go though - buying it item by item would incur far more fees/charges.

marinello59
09-04-2012, 08:22 PM
It is cheaper to buy it in one go though - buying it item by item would incur far more fees/charges.

That's not my point though as you well know. Stuff going round this one again.:greengrin

Danderhall Hibs
09-04-2012, 08:24 PM
That's not my point though as you well know. Stuff going round this one again.:greengrin

:greengrin Just leave it to Tornado.

marinello59
09-04-2012, 08:28 PM

:thumbsup:

TornadoHibby
09-04-2012, 09:09 PM

:applause:

Hee hee !

Not going to waste my time saying another jot! :rolleyes:

Speedy
09-04-2012, 09:09 PM
Thanks for your comments which reflect the view that if discounts to walk up prices are to be offered at any stage of the season after the ST sign up period ends, similar discounts must be offered to the ST holders if they are to be retained as such for the next season IMO! :agree::agree:

That's why I was asking the respective posters to whom I replied to explain why they felt that such action was "not an option" for the ST holders to be given in such circumstances as were being mooted! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I guess the fact that they haven't commented probably means their comments were simply mischeivous or they have had better things to do today! :agree: :greengrin

I wouldn't recommend giving a cash refund but think giving discounts for future purchases would be a good idea.

That way it may encourage people to renew who wouldn't have and it would prevent others from being pissed off (and perhaps deciding against renewing).

Like it or not, ticket sales are all about revenue.

I just think there has to be a new way of incentivising season ticket sales because guaranteed seats certainly isn't an incentive at the moment and neither is the current pricing structure (assuming that you miss 1 or 2 games you would probably lose out which I would guess is the case for many season ticket holders given the number of fixtures being moved).

TornadoHibby
09-04-2012, 09:12 PM
I wouldn't recommend giving a cash refund but think giving discounts for future purchases would be a good idea.

That way it may encourage people to renew who wouldn't have and it would prevent others from being pissed off (and perhaps deciding against renewing).

Like it or not, ticket sales are all about revenue.

I just think there has to be a new way of incentivising season ticket sales because guaranteed seats certainly isn't an incentive at the moment and neither is the current pricing structure (assuming that you miss 1 or 2 games you would probably lose out which I would guess is the case for many season ticket holders given the number of fixtures being moved).

Here's the guy (http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?232767-7110&p=3173916&viewfull=1#post3173916)you want to take your interesting thoughts up with as he doesn't agree with you! :rolleyes:

RIP
09-04-2012, 10:01 PM
I can't go most Sundays for Kirk and family reasons. Saturday 12.30 is poor as my sons junior game doesn't finish until noon. I live too far and work too late to make a weeknight game.

Hibs want £400 from me but are only offering around 10 Saturday 3pm games. Thats £40 a game

Oh and yes - I have renewed. I need my bloody head examined