PDA

View Full Version : Today's Ref (v Motherwell)

SouthMoroccoStu
08-04-2012, 02:51 PM
:rolleyes::rolleyes:

What a moron.

The worst refereeing display I've seen in a LONG time, and that's saying something.

If this was against the old firm or hearts this would have been a thread by now.

The basis was unbelievable.

The SFA officials get worse every week.

What were your favourite / most de stressing moments from today?

Pretty Boy
08-04-2012, 02:52 PM
He blew the whistle a lot and was centre of attention for long spells but at no point seemed in control.

Absolutely brutal.

staunchhibby
08-04-2012, 03:00 PM
If this is to be the standard of refereeing god help us.The last decent referee i seen at Easter Road was the one from Malta.Please go on permanent strikes referees and give us a break.:pfgwa

MWHIBBIES
08-04-2012, 03:05 PM
Love when Kujabi flicked the ball up and it hit the guys hand quite clearly, ref puts his whistle in his mouth then gives advantage as Motherwell charge down the wing. Murder

pedroorange1875
08-04-2012, 03:21 PM
The anti-hibs agenda is becoming embarrasingly blatent. It would appear that the media and the SPL hierarchy are absolutely desperate for Hibs to go down. Some of the blatent cheating from the ref today is now expected. Maybe Petrie behind the scenes is voicing his opinion about the Rangers situation to much. Im sure Lee Griffiths will get a letter about clapping to us at the end, and another 4 match ban for smiling

woody47
08-04-2012, 03:29 PM
I was expecting to see that clown wearing a Dunfie top underneath his black top. We really need PF to start screaming and shouting and throwing the dummy out before we will get any change from these erses in with the whistles.

NORTHERNHIBBY
08-04-2012, 03:33 PM
The first foul throw that he missed was a joke. Not saying that is the biggest offence going but when a ref can't call the easy-peasy basics what does that say for the tough calls?

heretoday
08-04-2012, 03:35 PM
Refs are all off their rockers these days. Look at the guy at Old Trafford and the penalty/sending off today. The ref at The Emirates right now is behaving strangely too.

Pretty Boy
08-04-2012, 03:35 PM
The anti-hibs agenda is becoming embarrasingly blatent. It would appear that the media and the SPL hierarchy are absolutely desperate for Hibs to go down. Some of the blatent cheating from the ref today is now expected. Maybe Petrie behind the scenes is voicing his opinion about the Rangers situation to much. Im sure Lee Griffiths will get a letter about clapping to us at the end, and another 4 match ban for smiling

This thought went through my mind at the game as well, I initially dimissed it as being a bit 'Celtic'.

However now you've said it.......I agree. It's becoming blindingly obvious referees, either of their own back or on orders from above, have an agenda against us.

thekaratekid
08-04-2012, 03:39 PM
The ref had a terrible first half.

His two linesmen had shockers too.

brianmc
08-04-2012, 03:39 PM
He also failed to give O'Connor a straight red for his petulant kick out at the 'well defender-allowing Garry the opportunity to play in the semi next week...

The ref was ****, but it wasn't all one way.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
08-04-2012, 03:55 PM
The boy was abysmal.

On the bright side, however, is the news that Charlie "Grinning Buffoon" Richmond is to tender his resignation having gone in a cream puff about not getting any SPL games recently...

LancashireHibby
08-04-2012, 03:56 PM
He also failed to give O'Connor a straight red for his petulant kick out at the 'well defender-allowing Garry the opportunity to play in the semi next week...

Kujabi should have got booked for his foul on the edge of the box as well.

Hibercelona
08-04-2012, 04:00 PM

"kick out"? :faf:

He got booked for shaking his leg ever so slightly. :rolleyes:

SMAXXA
08-04-2012, 04:01 PM
Kujabi should have got booked for his foul on the edge of the box as well.

Aye ok Billy Dodds, that's all he went on about the rest of the game lol.

brianmc
08-04-2012, 04:04 PM

Didn't realise ever so slightly shaking your leg was a bookable offence.
Thanks for your input.

LancashireHibby
08-04-2012, 04:06 PM
Aye ok Billy Dodds, that's all he went on about the rest of the game lol.
Doods did seem a bit obsessed with it, being he was right about it, in fairness as it was a clear run towards the box.

Hibs Class
08-04-2012, 04:10 PM

It was a sly kick and it could have earned him a red card.

StevieC
08-04-2012, 04:25 PM

You're right, I said at the time he could have got his marching orders for it. Thankfully the yellow card also means it can't be reviewed for a possible suspension.

bingo70
08-04-2012, 04:31 PM
Anti hibs agenda? C'Mon eh, the ref wasn't great but there's no agenda against us, half the fouls we were appealing for were never free kicks, he sent there boy off and goc could easily have seen red for kicking out.

We're not good enough for anyone to have an agenda against us, if anything the SPL will be desperate to keep us in the league as we're one of a few teams that actually has fans at games.

In fairness to the ref today as well the linesmen were awful and were terrified to give any decisions at all

At The Edge
08-04-2012, 04:38 PM
Anti hibs agenda? C'Mon eh, the ref wasn't great but there's no agenda against us, half the fouls we were appealing for were never free kicks, he sent there boy off and goc could easily have seen red for kicking out.

We're not good enough for anyone to have an agenda against us, if anything the SPL will be desperate to keep us in the league as we're one of a few teams that actually has fans at games.

In fairness to the ref today as well the linesmen were awful and were terrified to give any decisions at all

This!
the amount of times the linesman was looking towards the ref for the decision to be made when it was the linesmans call and at the same time the ref was looking towards the linesman for a decision when it was clear the ref needed help and none was forthcoming from the flag wavers was unbelievable.

poor for both teams

silverhibee
08-04-2012, 04:40 PM

When it happened, i thought how bad the ref had been today, that i said to my son this could be a red card for Gaz, silly kick out that could have seen him missing the semi final next week, luckily for Gaz he got a yellow and will help us get to the final next week.

Gaz looked good today, time to impress from him as it is getting close to the transfer window soon. :wink:

Saughton FC. are favourites to sign him in May. :wink: :greengrin

BEEJ
08-04-2012, 04:46 PM
On the bright side, however, is the news that Charlie "Grinning Buffoon" Richmond is to tender his resignation having gone in a cream puff about not getting any SPL games recently...
:thumbsup: A cause for great, enthusiastic and unrestrained celebration!

:scarf::applause::cheers::partyhibb:woohoo:

greenlex
08-04-2012, 05:44 PM
This!
the amount of times the linesman was looking towards the ref for the decision to be made when it was the linesmans call and at the same time the ref was looking towards the linesman for a decision when it was clear the ref needed help and none was forthcoming from the flag wavers was unbelievable.

poor for both teams'

At least twice today the ref called a foul from 50 yards when the linesman is two yards away looking to play on.
There were numerous occaisions where they got it completely wrong for both teams. There was one offside that should have gone Motherwells way that was yards offside. not even close!!! ****ing murdr and spoiled a good contest. IMO

NORTHERNHIBBY
08-04-2012, 05:56 PM
There were at least two incidents when the ref incorrectly over-ruled the lino eventhough the linesman was nearer. Not sure I buy in to the anti-Hibs agenda but certainly the levels of concentration that are required to officiate at this level were not on show today.

Hibercelona
08-04-2012, 05:56 PM

I really didn't think there was anything in it. I'd have been gob smacked if he'd been red carded for that.

Although, perhaps not really gob smacked with that fud in charge.

hibsbollah
08-04-2012, 06:02 PM
I wasn't at the game today but it sounds like the typical SPL ref; fussy and whistlehappy. I can handle mistakes from a ref, but performances like the last Tynecastle derby, where 40 fouls were awarded during the 90 minutes without even one bad tackle being made, completely destroy the sport as a spectacle. If in doubt, they assume a foul has been committed. Collum, Craig Thomson and o'reilly are the worst for this.

Beefster
08-04-2012, 06:03 PM

Absolute rubbish and horribly Yam-ish. Any referee with an agenda against Hibs would have jumped at the chance to send O'Connor off today.

Alfred E Newman
08-04-2012, 06:04 PM
I am sure there is no anti Hibs agenda, it is just that the standard of refereeing in Scotland is abysmal.

silverhibee
08-04-2012, 06:06 PM
Absolute rubbish and horribly Yam-ish. Any referee with an agenda against Hibs would have jumped at the chance to send O'Connor off today.

Agree, the referee's are just pish poor standard.

Beefster
08-04-2012, 06:10 PM
I am sure there is no anti Hibs agenda, it is just that the standard of refereeing in Scotland is abysmal.

Yup, the guy today was terrible but this 'the SFA are desperate for us to go down' chat is just cringe-worthy.

Bishop Hibee
08-04-2012, 06:18 PM
The ref was poor today but they get absolutely no help from the "Assistant Referees" :rolleyes: . These morons never know when to flag, keep the flag down and inspire no confidence in anyone. The eejit on the East Stand side had studs on so had to run on the pitch rather than the astro. That's happened before this season and it's a matter of time before the ball rebounds off them or they fall flat on their erse.

Stoked up the atmosphere though.

pedroorange1875
08-04-2012, 06:40 PM

ill tell you what's horribly yam-ish, is to stick your head in the sand , but you carry on sir.

How many games this season have you watched when the dreadful referee has been so dreadful in our favour. And if you think that O'Connor should have been sent off then please never take up refereeing or you would be up with that clown today

Beefster
08-04-2012, 06:41 PM
ill tell you what's horribly yam-ish, is to stick your head in the sand , but you carry on sir.

How many games this season have you watched when the dreadful referee has been so dreadful in our favour. And if you think that O'Connor should have been sent off then please never take up refereeing or you would be up with that clown today

Awesome. Why do the SFA want us relegated then?

silverhibee
08-04-2012, 06:46 PM

Bibs at the ready. :wink:

silverhibee
08-04-2012, 06:48 PM

Keep up Beefster, all the refs are anti-Hibs nowadays.

Me, i just think they are pish at there job. :aok:

pedroorange1875
08-04-2012, 06:58 PM

No idea, i said SPL and read the my first post again. Maybe Petrie is listening to the Hibs fans and is being vocal in the meetings behind closed doors

Gatecrasher
08-04-2012, 09:21 PM
I couldnt believe some of the decisions made today.
2 that really stuck out were a blatant foul on Stevenson then gives one the other way for nothing. Then giving a goal kick from Griffiths shot when the keeper clearly saved it. all round bad day for the official and should be back in the lower leagues as he was definately out his depth.

HH81
08-04-2012, 09:33 PM
:confused::confused: I thought the ref was half decent.

I don't think we have much to complain about and he didn't make any major errors for me.

Saorsa
08-04-2012, 09:38 PM
:confused::confused: I thought the ref was half decent.

I don't think we have much to complain about and he didn't make any major errors for me.really! he was ****in' rank rotten.

PaulSmith
08-04-2012, 10:40 PM
And I suppose English full time officials are better?
Ask Wegner, Martinez and Hughes their opinion tonight.

matty_f
08-04-2012, 11:23 PM
really! he was ****in' rank rotten.
:agree:

BEEJ
08-04-2012, 11:30 PM

Yup, the guy today was terrible but this 'the SFA are desperate for us to go down' chat is just cringe-worthy.
Let's pose the question another way then?

Do we think that in terms of poor refereeing decisions "these things have evened themselves out over the season" for Hibs in 2011/12?

After all, that's what is always argued.

matty_f
08-04-2012, 11:48 PM
Let's pose the question another way then?

Do we think that in terms of poor refereeing decisions "these things have evened themselves out over the season" for Hibs in 2011/12?

After all, that's what is always argued.

I don't think there's a specific anti-Hibs approach from the refs (at least, not all the refs, I'm certain that there has been at least one ref who has had at least two derbies, IIRC, who has deliberately refereed 'against' us), however there's no way that the decisions have evened themselves out over the season (unless we're in for a barrage of penalties and getting a load of 50/50 decisions in our favour in the last few games).

The standard of refereeing on the whole has been woeful.

Stonewall
08-04-2012, 11:54 PM

Celtic fan alert!!!

NAE NOOKIE
09-04-2012, 06:31 AM
Anti Hibs agenda from refs?

Nah ... our refs may be a bit rubbish from time to time, but dishonest ..... no chance.

Having said that, todays ref seemed to penalise us for stuff Motherwell got away with. Every time O'Connor was up against their CH he got a push in the back. It was subtle but happened frequently, if I could see it from where I was why didnt the ref or his assistant see it? I guess O'Connor's frustrated kick out was a direct result of never getting a free kick.

Having said all that ....... nae ref nae game.

lucky
09-04-2012, 06:51 AM
The ref was awful. He seemed to give them all the decisions. What's worse is that these jokers are picking up £850 a game.

marinello59
09-04-2012, 07:24 AM

Why would there be an anti-Hibs agenda amongst refs? Apart from the penalty given against us up at Pittodrie I can't think of one decision that has cost us a match. We have conspired amongst ourselves to grind out nearly a seasons worth of poor scorelines. (Maybe the players have an anti-Hibs agenda.:greengrin)
I just wonder if the main problem is there is a lack of strength in depth when it comes to referees these days. Far to many linesman seem reluctant to raise their flag at times and sometimes seem to shirk responsibility altogether. That suggests they are nowhere near ready to make the move to being the main man. Without the backing of strong officials on the sidelines providing extra pairs of eyes the refs job is much more difficult than it needs to be. Are we still getting the same numbers coming forward to become refs or are people just deciding all the hassle that goes with it just isn't worth it anymore?
(Hope this post isn't too yammish Pedro. :aok:)

HH81
09-04-2012, 07:36 AM
I can't really remember getting angry with anything the ref did and I normally do if he/she is poor. I might watch it again to see what I missed :greengrin

MB62
09-04-2012, 08:04 AM
Why would there be an anti-Hibs agenda amongst refs? Apart from the penalty given against us up at Pittodrie I can't think of one decision that has cost us a match.

That ref was absolutely useless yesterday, for both teams but there is no doubt in my mind that we suffered the worst of his decisions. Even the wife was asking yesterday why Hibs never get any decision and they always seem to go against us.

One big decision yesterday was at the sending off. The ball had broken to Garry O and he had barged his way in to the box with a clear chance of a shot at goal with only the keeper to beat. A decent ref would have played advantage to Hibs to see what the outcome was, then sent off their player, but the ref decided to give us a free kick immediately, poor stuff in my opinion and a big decision to get wrong.

SouthMoroccoStu
09-04-2012, 08:08 AM
Anti Hibs agenda from refs?

Nah ... our refs may be a bit rubbish from time to time, but dishonest ..... no chance.

Having said that, todays ref seemed to penalise us for stuff Motherwell got away with. Every time O'Connor was up against their CH he got a push in the back. It was subtle but happened frequently, if I could see it from where I was why didnt the ref or his assistant see it? I guess O'Connor's frustrated kick out was a direct result of never getting a free kick.

Having said all that ....... nae ref nae game.

No offence Bovril but that attitude is part of the problem.

Nobody official, i.e. club representatives, can criticise these jokers without being punished. Lennon and Celtic exempt ofcourse.

The fans can voice their opinion but are ignored.

These guys can have a shocker and yet go unpunished. There is no deterrent if these guys don't do a good / unbias job.

The ref selection process also must be called into question.

The week with the international refs was the best in a long time.

The standard of refereeing in this country is getting beyond a joke.

PaulSmith
09-04-2012, 08:09 AM
Why would there be an anti-Hibs agenda amongst refs? Apart from the penalty given against us up at Pittodrie I can't think of one decision that has cost us a match. We have conspired amongst ourselves to grind out nearly a seasons worth of poor scorelines. (Maybe the players have an anti-Hibs agenda.:greengrin)
I just wonder if the main problem is there is a lack of strength in depth when it comes to referees these days. Far to many linesman seem reluctant to raise their flag at times and sometimes seem to shirk responsibility altogether. That suggests they are nowhere near ready to make the move to being the main man. Without the backing of strong officials on the sidelines providing extra pairs of eyes the refs job is much more difficult than it needs to be. Are we still getting the same numbers coming forward to become refs or are people just deciding all the hassle that goes with it just isn't worth it anymore?
(Hope this post isn't too yammish Pedro. :aok:)

All the asst refs in the spl have been refs in their own right for years prior to gaining the spl asst ref status.
They have, for many reasons, seen themselves overlooked for promotion to cat 1 and to stay in the game revert to linesmen duties.

It all then depends on the actual game and if they make decisions in conjunction with the ref. I seen the east stand lino give two free kicks yesterday when the incident happened 30 yards inside the park, also with the comms equipment they speak constantly during the game.

PaulSmith
09-04-2012, 08:12 AM

Nobody official, i.e. club representatives, can criticise these jokers without being punished. Lennon and Celtic exempt ofcourse.

These guys can have a shocker and yet go unpunished. There is no deterrent if these guys don't do a good / unbias job.

A lot of brash statements there but I'd question how much fact is in each one.

marinello59
09-04-2012, 08:23 AM
All the asst refs in the spl have been refs in their own right for years prior to gaining the spl asst ref status.
They have, for many reasons, seen themselves overlooked for promotion to cat 1 and to stay in the game revert to linesmen duties.
It all then depends on the actual game and if they make decisions in conjunction with the ref. I seen the east stand lino give two free kicks yesterday when the incident happened 30 yards inside the park, also with the comms equipment they speak constantly during the game.

How does the progression work then from rookie ref to gaining Cat 1 status? I had wrongly assumed that Asst Ref was a stepping stone to becoming a ref in your own right. (I probably ain't the only one ignorant on just what it takes to become a top flight ref though.)

NAE NOOKIE
09-04-2012, 08:43 AM

Wait a minute South Morocco. I wasnt saying refs shouldnt be held to account for poor performances, or that the standard overall couldnt be improved upon.

My point was that for all their failings its not fair to accuse refs of being biased or of cheating, or of saying the SFA have an anti Hibs agenda without any real evidence. I think most refs can handle the stick they get from fans. What does get them upset ( and rightly so ) is when fans and clubs ( Celtic ) accuse them of cheating and being biased.

As for the week with the international refs. Yeh the lad who came to ER was decent, but there are a few things to be considered.

1) ..... Cant help thinking fans all over Scotland were willing them to do well to stick it up our own refs, so perhaps they got an easy ride.

2) ..... You cant compare a whole seasons refs against one weekend

3) ..... I have seen some European refs at ER who stank the place up.

) ...... The EPL has full time refs who are paid more than a lot of the players in the SPL and some of the decisions they make are bloody shocking .... the pen given to Man Utd at the weekend being a case in point, not to mention the pen Fulham didnt get a week earlier.

PaulSmith
09-04-2012, 08:47 AM
How does the progression work then from rookie ref to gaining Cat 1 status? I had wrongly assumed that Asst Ref was a stepping stone to becoming a ref in your own right. (I probably ain't the only one ignorant on just what it takes to become a top flight ref though.)

Just reading the sfa web site and after 2 year probation the path to cat 1 would be something like this.
1-2 years at u21 football, another couple in lower EoS and junior and then up to the 'senior list' which is running the line at some SFL games and reffing higher EoS and junior super league games.
There is also an sfa academy where you would be taken under their wing during this period. UEFA also do this and looking at the refs section of the sfa website I see that Kevin Clancy is under their guidance as well. Instance with Clancy is that he is already a FIFA referee before he is an established SPL ref.
I'm sure there are regular assessments throughout this progression.
Thereafter it's cat 2 and also a higher cat 2 level where the next cat 1 refs are taken from.
It's then seems to be another 3-4 years in the SFL and 4th official duties.
Within the last week we've seen Clancy, Beaton and Colvin making their spl debuts.
More refs will retire in same manner as Richmond and Conroy though this season.

Mikeystewart
09-04-2012, 09:01 AM

:greengrin

PaulSmith
09-04-2012, 09:33 AM
http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/oddballs/895544-brazilian-league-player-punches-referee-in-the-face-after-being-sent-off

Luckily the 'Well player took his red card better than this guy :greengrin

Holmesdale Hibs
09-04-2012, 09:52 AM

A red card for GOC would have been a complete over reaction. IIRC he was booked, which is fair enough. Stupid booking if that is what happenend.

I agree with the last sentence. The ref made some genuinely baffling decisions and in some cases I had no idea who he was awarding a free kick to as nothing like a foul had taken place. A terrible refereeing performance.

However, the good news is that none of his decisions had an impact on the outcome of the game.

I don't believe any of the refs are anti-hibs. There may be some bias towards to old firm but the rest of the SPL are treated with equal incompetence IMO.

09-04-2012, 12:27 PM
TBH I really don't believe there is any "anti-hibs" agenda, I just think the refereeing standards in this country is nothing short of a complete embarrassment! I do agree thought that the OF get the majority of decisions their way as referees are scared of the backlash they will get if they were to give big decisions against them, for example a penalty or a sending off etc. Its moaning faced wee gits like Lennon and his whole "conspiracy against celtic" nonsense that make referees afraid to go against the OF and the smaller teams in the league are punished for it.

I've watched countless times, Richmond and co. make an absolute laughing stock of Scottish football by their outrageously awful displays. It is literally laughable and beyond belief sometimes that they can be so incompetent, hence why a lot of us just come to the conclusion that it must just be plain and simple cheating.

Willie Collum for the semi-final this week, another incompetent clown but I guess that is the case no matter who we got!

Beefster
09-04-2012, 01:13 PM
No idea, i said SPL and read the my first post again. Maybe Petrie is listening to the Hibs fans and is being vocal in the meetings behind closed doors

Right, got you.

It's the SPL that wants one of their biggest teams and 50% of their second biggest TV draw (i.e. Hibs vs Yams) relegated so, in order to facilitate this, the SPL is instructing referees, all of whom are employed and appointed to games by the SFA, to give decisions against Hibs. During all of this, 100% of the referees, SFA officials and SPL officials have kept this super-quiet and kept a story that would scandalise Scottish football out of the press.

Sounds reasonable when it's put like that, I suppose.

Cool_Hand_Luke
22-04-2012, 04:17 PM
Even worse today :agree:

Mikeystewart
22-04-2012, 04:28 PM

Careful, don't want to sound like the other green and white mob. I would agree previous O'Connor dives has given referees a basis to assume Hibs players dive.