PDA

View Full Version : NHC No one cares about the Fat lad now

down-the-slope
08-04-2012, 07:53 AM
A good example of how ownership / chairmanship of clubs only matters when they are doing badly.....

Newcastle...no one in the NE gives a monkeys about the Fat Villian of an owner now they are flying....

Always had a soft spot for them as the perenial flair desiring but ultimate losers....bit like Hibs...how good would it be if we could have the kind of season they are having :rolleyes:

Pretty Boy
08-04-2012, 08:59 AM
I think Newcastle this season are proof that the fans don't always know best.

magpie1892
08-04-2012, 09:06 AM
A good example of how ownership / chairmanship of clubs only matters when they are doing badly.....

Newcastle...no one in the NE gives a monkeys about the Fat Villian of an owner now they are flying....

In a word, nonsense. He's not reviled quite as much as previously, but he's still far from popular. A good many people - I'd estmate about 98% of the regular (season ticket) support - are still (and will remain) very angry at his half-cocked insistence that St James' Park be named after his tacky company.

We've done well this season (carried a hell of a lot of luck) but MA ain't getting the key to the city anytime soon.

Likewise, I think you'll find that the ownership of Manchester United - the current champions and champions elect - matters a great deal to their fans...

hibee92
08-04-2012, 09:07 AM

Always had a soft spot for them as the perenial flair desiring but ultimate losers....bit like Hibs...how good would it be if we could have the kind of season they are having :rolleyes:

Absolute pish. Ask any Newcastle fan, they still all want Ashley out. He's managed to get the football side right this season and that's a step in the right direction but to say no one cares anymore is just silly.

DaveF
08-04-2012, 09:15 AM
In a word, nonsense. He's not reviled quite as much as previously, but he's still far from popular. A good many people - I'd estmate about 98% of the regular (season ticket) support - are still (and will remain) very angry at his half-cocked insistence that St James' Park be named after his tacky company.

We've done well this season (carried a hell of a lot of luck) but MA ain't getting the key to the city anytime soon.

Likewise, I think you'll find that the ownership of Manchester United - the current champions and champions elect - matters a great deal to their fans...

Is it not his tacky company which is helping to bankroll the football club?

For the record I have no hidden agenda - its a geniune question.

keithkeith
08-04-2012, 09:22 AM
Agree. As a Toon fan I do not think Ashley has redeemed himself this season. Granted, the season has been excellent, but I don't forget all the things that are wrong with his tenure. Renaming St James' Park after his own company is a disgrace!

WindyMiller
08-04-2012, 09:32 AM
In a word, nonsense. .

Absolute pish. .

As a Toon fan I do not think Ashley has redeemed himself this season. Granted, the season has been excellent, but I don't forget all the things that are wrong with his tenure. Renaming St James' Park after his own company is a disgrace!

That'll be a no then Slopey!!
:cb

TowerHibs
08-04-2012, 09:32 AM
Agree. As a Toon fan I do not think Ashley has redeemed himself this season. Granted, the season has been excellent, but I don't forget all the things that are wrong with his tenure. Renaming St James' Park after his own company is a disgrace!

Fine - keep the name St James Park and don't sign Cisse and don't have a chance of keeping those players at the end of the season!!! Then u'll be murder but at least the newspapers will call your stadium St James' Park again!!!!

hibee92
08-04-2012, 09:43 AM
Fine - keep the name St James Park and don't sign Cisse and don't have a chance of keeping those players at the end of the season!!! Then u'll be murder but at least the newspapers will call your stadium St James' Park again!!!!

That's honestly one of the most abysmal posts I've ever seen on this site, and that's something. Seriously? Did you have to post that because you lost a bet?

blackpoolhibs
08-04-2012, 09:58 AM
From the outside looking in, it seems to me Ashley has put Millions into the club, and is having some success now. Rightly or wrongly he's renamed the ground, and his brand is getting some exposure now.

I wouldn't care less if STF put the farmer stadium all over easter road if he'd plunge as much money as Ashley has into easter road, but thats just me, i understand why others dont.

I cant for the life of me see what he's doing wrong at the minute, while understanding he has made mistakes in the past.

magpie1892
08-04-2012, 10:27 AM
Is it not his tacky company which is helping to bankroll the football club?

For the record I have no hidden agenda - its a geniune question.

Yes and no. He bought the club - for cash - with £ realised from Sports Direct. He didn't do any due diligence and lost a packet. Now? The club's income and outgoings are massively stabilised (making a profit, even) so you could say that the fans are paying their own way - with more than a helping hand from Sky and Liverpool FC. Ashley's certainly not putting any more money in and and does own a (currently) appreciating asset.

However, the whole Sports Direct Arena thing grates because it makes no commercial sense. He's not chucked an extra £10m or whatever in the pot for this disastrously-handled renaming and, for a man with obvious business savvy, doesn't seem to understand that selling the naming rights isn't going to realise the same sort of sums that Arsenal got from Emirates or City from Etihad - both new builds, obviously. Begs the question why you'd chase a ground sponsorship (if they can find a company happy to associate themselves with such an unpopular concept) when it wouldn't likely raise any significant sum (I'd argue it would be a counter-productive exercise for most companies) and is guaranteed to piss off the fans ad inifinitum?

For this reason - and many others - he's rightly regarded with, at best, suspicion and he's done a number of things in the past (the renaming being one of them that is current) that have more than a touch of spite about them.

So, no, he's not bankrolling the club. We've spent prudently and sold even better (Carroll). If Ashley pissed off tomorrow, we'd not feel any pinch.

I don't hate him, but he's behaved like a bit of a cock and the Sports Direct Arena stuff is a constant annoyance.

TheDude
08-04-2012, 11:08 AM
If Newcastle get say £10 million for naming rights, which the SD deal is designed to highlight, then that's the potential to sign another player such as Cisse.

If Farmer decided to sell up the Easter Road naming rights tomorrow I'd be right behind it. I'd still refer to the hallowed grounds as ER till my last days, but if a company wants to plow some cash in so that the BBC can say their at the RBS stadium then let them plow away!

magpie1892
08-04-2012, 11:16 AM
If Newcastle get say £10 million for naming rights, which the SD deal is designed to highlight, then that's the potential to sign another player such as Cisse.

If Farmer decided to sell up the Easter Road naming rights tomorrow I'd be right behind it. I'd still refer to the hallowed grounds as ER till my last days, but if a company wants to plow some cash in so that the BBC can say their at the RBS stadium then let them plow away!

It's highly unlikely that we'll find someone prepared to alienate Newcastle fans worldwide (and fans of calling things by their actual name) by putting their brand onto the stadium.

£10m would nowhere near be enough, anyhow.

And, most importantly, if you're amenable to renaming something of c.120 years' history, then you need only make it known via a press release rather than making a **** of yourself by calling it something so ****. You call what Ashley has done as 'highlight[ing]' the availability of naming rights? He's highlighted what a James Blunt he's made of it - a total 'how not to...'

Viva_Palmeiras
08-04-2012, 11:27 AM
One thing I dont get about the naming rights....

Surely there is no contract with the Media as to what they should call the stadium?

Especially the BBC which is public service and surely not allowed to advertise. Not much they can do about panning over the ground and advertising hoarding but when they refer to stadium name they have control no?

down-the-slope
08-04-2012, 02:24 PM
So its the owners fault when clubs are not doing well...but its got nothing to do with their involvement when they do :rolleyes:

blackpoolhibs
08-04-2012, 02:31 PM
It's highly unlikely that we'll find someone prepared to alienate Newcastle fans worldwide (and fans of calling things by their actual name) by putting their brand onto the stadium.

£10m would nowhere near be enough, anyhow.

And, most importantly, if you're amenable to renaming something of c.120 years' history, then you need only make it known via a press release rather than making a **** of yourself by calling it something so ****. You call what Ashley has done as 'highlight[ing]' the availability of naming rights? He's highlighted what a James Blunt he's made of it - a total 'how not to...'

As i said earlier, i'm not close to Newcastle and dont really know the feeling of the fans, but as others have said its gone a wee bit quiet now they are winning. And it seems the same things happening at Old Trafford, you dont hear the chants, and the yellow and green scarfs seem to have disappeared.

From the outside, it appears he's put shed loads of money in, i'm not sure just how much but its a huge sum. For me imo he's entitled to rename the stadium if it helps him recoup some of that?