PDA

View Full Version : Classic Aberdeen Matches?

SteveHFC
07-04-2012, 11:24 PM
With the semi next weekend. What is everyone's favourite game against Aberdeen?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/8410901.stm Great Day Out. Great Hibs Support. Great Atmosphere :aok:

silverhibee
07-04-2012, 11:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coyhgX6lAK0 :greengrin

Bishop Hibee
07-04-2012, 11:39 PM
http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/game.php?gameid=4163

Danny Lennon last minute winner. Memorable for Theo Snelders attacking Keith Wright, getting the red card and booting the ball into Albion Road. Think we then missed the penalty (or am I mixing 2 games into 1).

Brilliant East Terracing celebrations for the goal.

Mikey_1875
08-04-2012, 12:53 AM
1-0 in the Mowbray era when Steven glass scored a nice goal with about 10 to go think we were third and Aberdeen were fourth. Good game and atmosphere and mad when we scored.

Hibercelona
08-04-2012, 12:59 AM
Dare I mention the 4-1 game at ER where Micheal Stewart scored an absoulute peach of a volley from a Shiels corner. :tin hat:

Was a night cup game if my memory serves me correctly.

I love night games.

Jones28
08-04-2012, 08:07 AM
Dare I mention the 4-1 game at ER where Micheal Stewart scored an absoulute peach of a volley from a Shiels corner. :tin hat:

Was a night cup game if my memory serves me correctly.

I love night games.

Absolute belter that goal :agree: Aye Scottish Cup reply after drawing with them at Todders IIRC

On another note, who would take the team in the OP before our current one? :greengrin

tanfield
08-04-2012, 08:22 AM
A few at Pittodrie around the late 80's / early 90's:
- mind letting off an air horn in the old beach end (and deafening the guy in front of me in the process). My fun was abruptly ended though when one of aberdeen's finest confiscated the canister
- a boxing day game where the ground was almost full and their radges occupied a third of the beach end. Sure Hibs won 2 -1 but can't remember the scorers
- late winner from Mickey Weir when Tortolano (?) fired a low cross in with 2 mins to go and Mickey stuck it in within his shin from 2 yards!

At Easter Road:
- Danny Lennon's late winner (was that his only Hibs goal?)
- Paul Wrights debut. 2 - 0 up and coasting, cue Aberdeen fightback to almost snatch the lead only for Paul to come on and snatch a late winner. Neil Orr scored an absolute peach that day

Killiehibbie
08-04-2012, 09:48 AM
Cup semi at Hampden 1979 2-1, a repeat of that will do nicely.

Pretty Boy
08-04-2012, 09:55 AM
1-0 Pittodrie.

Mowbrays first season, Riordan with a beauty right into the bottom corner mid way through the 2nd half. Stephen Dobbie missed a sitter to seal it late on.

Aberdeen, under tango man, had started that season really well and that was the day I realised that Mowbray team could be a bit special.

Dalkeith
08-04-2012, 09:59 AM
1-0 in the Mowbray era when Steven glass scored a nice goal with about 10 to go think we were third and Aberdeen were fourth. Good game and atmosphere and mad when we scored.

was that not 2-1 with their keeper getting sent off?

HibbyAndy
08-04-2012, 10:04 AM

was that not 2-1 with their keeper getting sent off?

It was 2-1 but cannot recall the goaly getting sent off.

Mikey_1875
08-04-2012, 10:08 AM
No wonder I couldn't find any links to the game then!

R'Albin
08-04-2012, 10:08 AM
With the semi next weekend. What is everyone's favourite game against Aberdeen?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/8410901.stm Great Day Out. Great Hibs Support. Great Atmosphere :aok:

That was my favourite as well. Was so good just seeing us totally outclass them on the pitch. I dyed 0-2 into my hair that night before going out as well to wind them all up :greengrin

Jonnyboy
08-04-2012, 07:22 PM

Danny Lennon last minute winner. Memorable for Theo Snelders attacking Keith Wright, getting the red card and booting the ball into Albion Road. Think we then missed the penalty (or am I mixing 2 games into 1).

Nope, you're spot on (pardon the pun :greengrin). Snelders sent off, Brian Irvine went in goal and saved the pen but Danny scored from open play in the dying moments :agree:

Broken Gnome
08-04-2012, 07:33 PM
I do love classic games threads whenever people manage to get pretty key details of their chosen games completely wrong :greengrin

Holmesdale Hibs
08-04-2012, 08:24 PM

I was in the old cow shed that day and remember the game well. Tommy McIntyre (I think) hammered the penalty straight at Brian Irvine (I think). It was a pretty soft penalty if I remember rightly, hence snelders being so annoyed.

MartinfaePorty
08-04-2012, 08:39 PM
I was in the old cow shed that day and remember the game well. Tommy McIntyre (I think) hammered the penalty straight at Brian Irvine (I think). It was a pretty soft penalty if I remember rightly, hence snelders being so annoyed.

Think it may have been McGinlay who missed and did Jim Bett not also blast a penalty in the direction of Calton Hill, over the bar at the Dunbar end?

Also should mention the game where Hibs went 2 up, only to be pegged back to 2-2 before Paul Wright came on as sub and scored the winner on his debut. This was the 1st time I had seen us beaten them, as our record against them in the 80s was absolutely rank.

SteveHFC
09-04-2012, 08:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCuzJ0EkouI

3:22 onwards :aok:

keithkeith
09-04-2012, 11:24 PM
Remember Snelders getting sent off that game and booted the ball away. I was in the front row of the North Stand. I remember him shouting "Stephen" all game in a high pitched, girly voice to his right back, Stephen Wright. I waited after the game and got Keith's autograph, like a stalker!

Favorite away game vs Dons was midweek cup game, 99 - went to pens and wee Kevin Harper stuck the winner away. Jim Duffy ran over to the crowd and waved his arms about. Left Easter Road in the supporters' bus about midday and never got back until midnight. On the way home read The Sun and the Page 3 girl was Melinda Messenger as she was "Page 3 girl for the new Millennium". Funny how I remember that! Great day out!

Lucius Apuleius
10-04-2012, 05:41 AM
Game that sticks in the mind was at Pittodrie. We were in the beach end and you literally could not see the other goals because of the fog. Probably in the 80s. Sure Harper (of the fat variety) scored a winner for us.

hibbybrian
10-04-2012, 06:50 AM
Game that sticks in the mind was at Pittodrie. We were in the beach end and you literally could not see the other goals because of the fog. Probably in the 80s. Sure Harper (of the fat variety) scored a winner for us.

Close but no :cb you must be about as auld as me G but my Birthday is only weeks away :greengrin

31st August 1974 Aberdeen 2 Hibernian 3 (Cropley 2 and WFJ) I think that was the only goal Joe scored for Hibs v the Dons :rolleyes:

Lucius Apuleius
10-04-2012, 07:54 AM
Close but no :cb you must be about as auld as me G but my Birthday is only weeks away :greengrin

31st August 1974 Aberdeen 2 Hibernian 3 (Cropley 2 and WFJ) I think that was the only goal Joe scored for Hibs v the Dons :rolleyes:

Jeez Bri, that hurts man. Was it that long ago? I am away to lie down, old timers disease setting in :-)

Spike Mandela
10-04-2012, 08:08 AM
Two great games that stick in my mind....

Paul Wright scoring last minute winner for Hibs on his debut.

4-3 defeat at ER where Ulisses De la Cruz was involved in great attacking play ifor all our goals and shocking defending at the 4 Aberdeen goals.

Keith_M
10-04-2012, 08:14 AM
Not sure about the score but vividly remember being part of a very large group of Hibbies (Scarves and no Scarves) being chased by the polis into St Andrew Sq after some plonker threw a petrol bomb. 1985 perhaps.....

:offski:

I was also at the previously mentioned game in the late 80's when Hibs beat Aberdeen for the first time in about 8 years. Magic :thumbsup:

Rivers Cuomo
10-04-2012, 10:09 AM
It was 2-1 but cannot recall the goaly getting sent off.

They were deffo down to 10 and we kicked on and got a vital win in the race for 3rd.

Stephen Glass's goal in that game is one of my all time favourites.

Lucius Apuleius
10-04-2012, 10:20 AM
Oh oh oh oh, just thought of another absolute cracker. Brian help me with the date!!!!! 2-1 to the Cabbage, Stanton and Baker on his return debut. First goals Bobby Clarke had scored against him for ****** hours of football.

hibbybrian
10-04-2012, 10:52 AM
Oh oh oh oh, just thought of another absolute cracker. Brian help me with the date!!!!! 2-1 to the Cabbage, Stanton and Baker on his return debut. First goals Bobby Clarke had scored against him for ****** hours of football.

16th January 1971

Joe Baker's 1st game in his 2nd spell at ER - wearing his white boots - I've got some pics somewhere I'll look out and post:greengrin

--------
10-04-2012, 11:09 AM
16th January 1971

Joe Baker's 1st game in his 2nd spell at ER - wearing his white boots - I've got some pics somewhere I'll look out and post:greengrin

:agree:

And the game at ER December 30, 1972, the game before the 7-0 at Tynie. We won 3-2 after going behind, and IIRC our third was a totally sublime header from Alan Gordon from a delightful wee chipped cut-back from Arfur? About 23,000 at the game? It's on the Tornadoes video.

Was the Joe Baker game the one where we scored straight from the Kick-off - Johnny Hamilton in 17 seconds?

hibbybrian
10-04-2012, 11:59 AM
:agree:

And the game at ER December 30, 1972, the game before the 7-0 at Tynie. We won 3-2 after going behind, and IIRC our third was a totally sublime header from Alan Gordon from a delightful wee chipped cut-back from Arfur? About 23,000 at the game? It's on the Tornadoes video.

:agree: Scorers were Stanton, O'Rourke and Gordon

Was the Joe Baker game the one where we scored straight from the Kick-off - Johnny Hamilton in 17 seconds?

That game was the Scottish Cup QF on 18th March 1972 crowd was 25,736 - From the kick-off Hamilton passed to Gordon who passed to Jimmy O'Rourke who scored - Joe Baker scored the 2nd 4 minutes into the second half :thumbsup:

allezsauzee
10-04-2012, 12:03 PM
3-2 win at ER when Paul Wright scored the winner. The first time I had ever seen us beat the Dons

.Sean.
10-04-2012, 12:05 PM
I always remember a 2-1 win back in late 2004. Riordan scored early goals, they equalised and Glass scored the winner with a volley. They filled the South, I'm sure it was a few days after Zerouali died and they were all wearing Fez hats.

Lucius Apuleius
10-04-2012, 01:20 PM
16th January 1971

That was the perfect header if ever I have seen one. That one defo sticks in my mind. Missed the December 72 game for the same reason I missed the 0-7. Bloody skipper of the ship wouldn't let us pay off until we had relievers on board. Christ, I was only the galley boy, anybody could have washed the dishes!!!!