PDA

View Full Version : Just Back (from the schmugby)

Hibby Bairn
07-04-2012, 04:48 PM
Edinburgh v Toulouse....first ever competitive rugby game. Brilliant. 38,000 at the game. Booze at your seat, Free flags for the bairns. Great positive atmosphere. Pumping music. Live action on the big screens and replays. Loads of decent food available. Live music pre and post match outside the stands.

Football and Hibs have a lot to learn from this.

I had a great day. £15 for me. £5 for the boys.

CallumLaidlaw
07-04-2012, 04:52 PM
Edinburgh v Toulouse....first ever competitive rugby game. Brilliant. 38,000 at the game. Booze at your seat, Free flags for the bairns. Great positive atmosphere. Pumping music. Live action on the big screens and replays. Loads of decent food available. Live music pre and post match outside the stands.

:agree: just posted very similar on the today's matches thread

danhibees1875
07-04-2012, 04:54 PM
To be fair is it not the rugby equivelant to Hibs getting to the last 16 of the Champions league or something like that? Edinburgh usually get a very low support (c. 2k).

I've no doubts however that it would have been a cracking atmosphere, and was a fantastic win for Edinburgh. :agree:

HibbyRod
07-04-2012, 04:54 PM

And a great result too!

Well done Edinburgh! :thumbsup:

Onceinawhile
07-04-2012, 04:55 PM
2 pro teams in scotland, cheap prices, and a European quarter final and they only got 38,000??? That's poor imo. For a champions league 1/4 final Hibs and or hearts would have filled murrayfield.

Sylar
07-04-2012, 04:55 PM

I'm not a huge fan of rugby, but their product is a LOT better than the football package (apart from that the main feature is, of course, rugby).

But then, the same could be said of most other sports. Football is overpriced, very customer unfriendly, filled with hateful supporters who can't discern banter from bile, predictable (particularly in the SPL) and worst of all, unwilling to do anything about it.

Mikey
07-04-2012, 05:05 PM
Does anyone know what the average salary would be for the Edinburgh players? Is it anywhere near £1k - £1.5k that a lot of SPL footballers get?

LaMotta
07-04-2012, 05:13 PM
2 pro teams in scotland, cheap prices, and a European quarter final and they only got 38,000??? That's poor imo. For a champions league 1/4 final Hibs and or hearts would have filled murrayfield.
:agree:

Plus rugby is a pile of nonsense. They just make up the rules as they go along.

One minute these peeled triceratops style meat-statues are savagely kneeing each other in the face willy nilly. The next the ref's given a penalty for triangular dispensation - but the ball went out of play within the 15 second (or three yards - which ever fluctuates the most egregiously within the given time=space equation known as eH) advantage variance zone so...so bollocks, basically.

I'd rather watch a nil nil draw in the saturday morning church league on a wet and windy january day at fisherrow, whilst standing in my underpants drinking the chilled urine from a yak, than watch any game of rugby.

Hibernian Verse
07-04-2012, 05:21 PM
Does anyone know what the average salary would be for the Edinburgh players? Is it anywhere near £1k - £1.5k that a lot of SPL footballers get?

It's about the same, maybe slightly higher. However a lot of these players play international rugby too, just shows how far in the wrong direction football has gone.

Hibby Bairn
07-04-2012, 05:22 PM
Oh...and when Hibs go along to find out about HOW they put the product on for the matchday experience they should take their groundsman along to learn how to put on a lush, smooth pitch with no sandy, cut up and bare bits all over the place. Unless there is some micro-climate near to Murrayfield then there is no reason why our pitch should be in such a dismal state.

Hibernian Verse
07-04-2012, 05:22 PM

Of course, as Rugby is such a huge sport in Scotland isn't it?

Schools need to promote it more, as it's only the private schools and a handful of state schools that do so and that leads to a lack of supply of good players.

nonshinyfinish
07-04-2012, 05:27 PM
Oh...and when Hibs go along to find out about HOW they put the product on for the matchday experience they should take their groundsman along to learn how to put on a lush, smooth pitch with no sandy, cut up and bare bits all over the place. Unless there is some micro-climate near to Murrayfield then there is no reason why our pitch should be in such a dismal state.

How many games are played at Murrayfield in the average year? Genuine question, I've no idea...

nonshinyfinish
07-04-2012, 05:30 PM
Of course, as Rugby is such a huge sport in Scotland isn't it?

Schools need to promote it more, as it's only the private schools and a handful of state schools that do so and that leads to a lack of supply of good players.

Is this really true? While obviously outside of private schools rugby lags far behind football in popularity, as far as I know almost every state school has a rugby team. What more should they be doing?

I'm of the opinion that football is more popular because it's a better sport, both to play and to watch.

Jamesie
07-04-2012, 05:30 PM

I understand there is a massive divide between the "stars" of the Scottish pro teams - some of whom I believe are between £100k - £200k per year - and the more bit part players, who may be on anything between £20k - £40k. This is relatively uninformed though so I'd be keen to hear from people who have more of an accurate idea.

Jamesie
07-04-2012, 05:31 PM
It was a fantastic afternoon and they got it spot on in terms of the marketing :top marks

hibsbollah
07-04-2012, 05:31 PM

One minute these peeled triceratops style meat-statues are savagely kneeing each other in the face willy nilly. The next the ref's given a penalty for triangular dispensation - but the ball went out of play within the 15 second (or three yards - which ever fluctuates the most egregiously within the given time=space equation known as eH) advantage variance zone so...so bollocks, basically.

I'd rather watch a nil nil draw in the saturday morning church league on a wet and windy january day at fisherrow, whilst standing in my underpants drinking the chilled urine from a yak, than watch any game of rugby.

My favourite post. Now and forever :greengrin

Stevo1875
07-04-2012, 05:32 PM
It's about the same, maybe slightly higher. However a lot of these players play international rugby too, just shows how far in the wrong direction football has gone.

So with less regular supporters and no big tv money deal they are able to pay their players as much as many of our players earn. Assuming this is right, we really could do without the old firm and the tv deal.

givescotlandfreedom
07-04-2012, 05:33 PM

That's my attitude :greengrin

Sunny1875
07-04-2012, 05:38 PM

Not a fan of the egg chasers then ?

West Upper
07-04-2012, 05:40 PM
It was a fantastic afternoon and they got it spot on in terms of the marketing :top marks

Mikey
07-04-2012, 05:46 PM
A quick check on t'internet suggests that there are 2 or 3 on around £100k (£2k a week) but they're the exception, not the rule. I haven't found anything yet to show what the others are on.

If it's nearer to £30k a year then it's easy to see how they can charge £15 and £5.

I'd be interested to know how much money they made out of today. Comments I've seen suggest that both Edinburgh and Glasgow are living beyond their means.

jdships
07-04-2012, 05:46 PM

Wow !!!!!
You really saying that football is played strictly by the rules and there is no simulation ,feigning injury and generally CHEATING going on every match / week. ?
" They just make up the rules as they go along." you say According to a great number of football fans think referees do that at every game never mind the players so what's your problem with rugby ? :confused:
Suggest you get out more and see what goes on in the real sporting world :wink::greengrin
You must be easy pleased :brickwall

Well done Edinburgh Rugby , great result

Viva_Palmeiras
07-04-2012, 05:50 PM
Not a fan of the egg chasers then ?

Agree at least if you want your argument to carry some
Weight know something of which you speak

Alfred E Newman
07-04-2012, 05:52 PM

Maybe the pricing is more realistic but food, free flags and pumping music? Give us a break! Thats not what I hope for when I go to Easter Road.

LaMotta
07-04-2012, 05:56 PM
Over a century ago a schoolboy picked up a football and ran away holding it. Unfortunately he was never caught and punished. Worse, the sport of rugby was born.

The middle classes have taken a foul and called it a sport.

One burly guy hoofs the ball out of play, then another burly guy throws it back in again. Then they all jump on each other and play is stopped. When its restarted another burly guy hoofs the ball out of play. Then when its thrown in they all jump over each other in a mass orgy again. Repeated for 80 minutes.

ThirdManRun
07-04-2012, 05:58 PM

And that would make you a bit of a toss pot.

Why not just celebrate an Edinburgh victory against the odds? Savoured in a 30k plus crowd with a pint in hand.

nonshinyfinish
07-04-2012, 05:59 PM
Over a century ago a schoolboy picked up a football and ran away holding it. Unfortunately he was never caught and punished. Worse, the sport of rugby was born.

One burly guy hoofs the ball out of play, then another burly guy throws it back in again. Then they all jump on each other and play is stopped. When its restarted another burly guy hoofs the ball out of play. Then when its thrown in they all jump over each other in a mass orgy again. Repeated for 80 minutes.

While I broadly agree with your unflinching critique of rugger, I'm pretty sure that the bit in bold is an urban myth (or seeing as it's rugby, perhaps a leafy suburban myth).

Hibercelona
07-04-2012, 06:02 PM

Are you describing Rugby? or our season? :confused:

Hibbyradge
Surely this is in the wrong forum? :cb

Hibernia Na Eir
would've went along today had I not been goin to hampden next Saturday.
great result. good on them!

nonshinyfinish
07-04-2012, 06:04 PM
Surely this is in the wrong forum? :cb

I'd say so.

HH81
07-04-2012, 06:07 PM
Not sure what all the excitement is over this.....

Here is the real rugby .......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RF6_hPQKa0s&feature=youtu.be

:wink:

ThirdManRun
I'd say so.

Or just ignore it like a big boy.

Kaiser1962

If you are going to quote Steve Wells you should at least credit him VP :wink:

So with less regular supporters and no big tv money deal they are able to pay their players as much as many of our players earn. Assuming this is right, we really could do without the old firm and the tv deal.

And a heavy subsidy from the SRU.

MIke Bradley got it right today and learned from Toulouse' previous defeats to Munster and Ospreys. Well done guys.

nonshinyfinish
07-04-2012, 06:08 PM
Or just ignore it like a big boy.

:hilarious

ballengeich
07-04-2012, 06:25 PM
I'd be interested to know how much money they made out of today. Comments I've seen suggest that both Edinburgh and Glasgow are living beyond their means.

The big money in Scottish rugby comes from the internationals. I think the SRU supports the two professional clubs as feeder teams for the national side. If the clubs relied on their normal gate income they'd be part-time or at best paying SFL division 1 wages.

Baldy Foghorn
07-04-2012, 06:27 PM

The best sentence that I have read on here:greengrin

TrinityHibs
07-04-2012, 06:28 PM
Just spent an hour booking flights, hotel and tickets and I'm off to Dublin for Guinness and rugby. Get in there. My liver has been put on red alert.:greengrin

thebakerboy
07-04-2012, 06:32 PM
Is this really true? While obviously outside of private schools rugby lags far behind football in popularity, as far as I know almost every state school has a rugby team. What more should they be doing?

I'm of the opinion that football is more popular because it's a better sport, both to play and to watch.

Rugby is a better game to play than watch and football is a better game to watch than play (my opinion 'cause I was reasonable at rugby and c&^p at football)
Also the old saying is probably true rugby is a game for hooligans played by gentlemen and football is a game for gentlemen played by hooligans.

Hibby Bairn
07-04-2012, 06:34 PM
The big money in Scottish rugby comes from the internationals. I think the SRU supports the two professional clubs as feeder teams for the national side. If the clubs relied on their normal gate income they'd be part-time or at best paying SFL division 1 wages.

Jeez...imagine that in football. :cool2: Revolutionary.

hfc rd
07-04-2012, 06:39 PM
I only watch the rugby when the Six Nations and RWC are on. But decided to head along to Murrayfield to watch this match and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Big well done to Edinburgh!! They made unbelievable history by knocking out the favourites and being the first ever Scottish team to reach the semi finals. Here's hoping they keep up the good work!!

Mikey
07-04-2012, 06:42 PM

That sounds a bit more like it.

Cheers.

jdships
07-04-2012, 06:47 PM

Ever played the game ?
Jim Renwick , Bruce Hay , Peter Wright and many more ex internationals and at least five of the present Scottish squad could be called "blue collared" .
Pity Bill McLaren wasn't still about he would have put you right on a number of your points :greengrin
Suggest that you perhaps should leave " the zoo " now and again and go to a game or two and get to know the people involved .

heretoday
07-04-2012, 06:47 PM

A matter of opinion. I'd have to say I enjoyed every one of the Six Nations games better than most football matches I've seen this season. Perils of being a Hibby I suppose.

The attitude of rugby players is refreshing. They have a bit of a punch-up in the scrum but it's soon forgotten. No one feigns injury. They behave more like grownups really.

The problem is introducing the game to youngsters. The prospect of tackling someone bigger and heavier than you is a bit daunting for many kids!

SquashedFrogg
07-04-2012, 06:49 PM
Jeez...imagine that in football. :cool2: Revolutionary.

:whistle:

Onceinawhile
07-04-2012, 06:53 PM
Rugby is a better game to play than watch and football is a better game to watch than play (my opinion 'cause I was reasonable at rugby and c&^p at football)
Also the old saying is probably true rugby is a game for hooligans
played by gentlemen and football is a game for gentlemen played by hooligans.
http://www.thefreelibrary.com/NO+CHARGES+AGAINST+CUE+ASSAULT+FIVE%3B+Victim+forg ives+rugby+club+pals.-a075067781

Capt Mainwaring
07-04-2012, 06:55 PM
Also went along today. Great atmosphere, crowd and game. A fantastic result for Edinburgh - first time ever for a Scottish team in the European Semi Finals. Considering Edinburgh were down to 13 for a spell in the first half it's a fabulous effort.

Beating Toulouse is the equivalent of beating say Man Utd to get to the Champions Leagues Semi's. Just a pity the reward is going to be like playing Barcelona in the Nou Camp!

If Hibs can do the business tomorrow, then that will be a very fine easter weekend ( since Bonnyrigg Rose also won 5 - 0 today).

GGTTH

Onceinawhile
07-04-2012, 06:57 PM
Can't do links on my phone but see above. Also what gentlemen have a penchant for eye gouging? There is also plenty cheating in ruby, you only need to look so far as the bloodgate scandal.

Rugby is a thugs game played by thugs who can be dishonest. Football is a sport played by people who cab be dishonest.

TheEastTerrace
07-04-2012, 07:12 PM
Well done to Edinburgh.

Edinburgh and Glasgow, as full time professional teams, represent the elite player pathway for the Scotland national team. The idea is that the best players in Scotland are contracted on a full-time professional basis instead of playing amateur club rugby and holding down a '9-5'.

The SRU has to subsidise the professional teams because they are loss-making ventures. Both sides do not attract nearly enough spectators and other income to pay all their players. If the SRU didn't give them a bump each season, they'd be semi-professional at best.

If you look at Ireland and Wales as nearest comparisons of the same model (provinces in Ireland), the game is much stronger there in terms of attracting spectators and taking in revenue.

Therefore, difficult to compare Edinburgh with Hibs.

That said, the marketing of rugby and the fan experience is improving with Glasgow picking up decent crowds and Edinburgh trying to make Murrayfield less of an empty shell (they erected standing zones around the pitch). Hibs certainly cannot say the same with the cringeworthy marketing campaigns of recent times. The fan experience leaves a lot to be desired too.

Hibby Bairn
07-04-2012, 07:13 PM
THE main point in starting this thread (and yes it is on the right forum) is to point out that Hibs and football have well priced, well marketed competition on their doorstep. Having sampled it today then football and Hibs better wake up because the overall day out was miles better than a day out at Easter Road.

I will definitely go back.

fife hfc
07-04-2012, 07:16 PM
Why is it if your football fan you have to hate rugby and slag it and vice versa. I love football, rugby and also enjoy cycling. I was also at Murrayfield today and loved the atmosphere and the pre match build up, but I was at the City v Chelsea game a few weeks ago and they also had great prematch entertainment that I felt hibs could learn from. They had a stage with a band, football games for the kids and an EA sports zone and a bar:greengrin this made it more of a day out than an SPL experience.

Anyway well done Edinburgh and a Hibs win tomorrow will make it a great weekend.

Mikey
07-04-2012, 07:18 PM
THE main point in starting this thread (and yes it is on the right forum) is to point out that Hibs and football have well priced, well marketed competition on their doorstep. Having sampled it today then football and Hibs better wake up because the overall day out was miles better than a day out at Easter Road.

Edinburgh Rugby, Rangers and Hearts have something in common then. It's difficult for Hibs to compete with them when they're heavily subsidised or leaving well outwith their means.

Eyrie
07-04-2012, 07:28 PM
Edinburgh Rugby, Rangers and Hearts have something in common then. It's difficult for Hibs to compete with them when they're heavily subsidised or leaving well outwith their means.
The SRU operates two professional rugby teams using its available resources, rather than stealing from the taxman or a Lithuanian bank.

So why is it so difficult for Hibs to do more to attract fans? That was the point of the original post before the anti-rugby crowd tried to p on what is an excellent result for Scottish sport.

Mikey
07-04-2012, 07:32 PM
The SRU operates two professional rugby teams using its available resources, rather than stealing from the taxman or a Lithuanian bank.

So why is it so difficult for Hibs to do more to attract fans? That was the point of the original post before the anti-rugby crowd tried to p on what is an excellent result for Scottish sport.

I can't answer for the anti rugby crowd, however what you're saying is the equivalent of the SFA shelling out cash to the clubs. Whether it's the governing body, the taxman or a Lith bank they're still getting money that Hibs can't generate. So the point I'm making is that bashing Hibs because of what went on at Murrayfield today is unfair.

fife hfc
07-04-2012, 07:33 PM

The SRU will not relinquish control over the pro teams. Edinburgh got a private owner a few years ago but the SRU still demanded a say in how they were run and conflict ensued. Under these cirumstances the SRU have to subsidise the two teams as it suits their needs, in that young Scottish players are being developed instead of expensive foreigners being signed. This was seen as a disadvantage a few years ago but now seems to be bearing some fruit for Edinburgh and the future of the national team. So I would not say they are living without their means as their budgets are small compared to most other teams in their league, but it does show you can do well despite not spending massive amounts of money ( football teams could learn and stop using the lck of cash as an excuse).

ThirdManRun
07-04-2012, 07:34 PM
I can't answer for the anti rugby crowd, however what you're saying is the equivalent of the SFA shelling out cash to the clubs. Whether it's the governing body, the taxman or a Lith bank they're still getting money that Hibs can't generate. So the point I'm making is that bashing Hibs because of what went on at Murrayfield today is unfair.

I don't think anyone is bashing Hibs as such - but no harm taking note of successful marketing on your own doorstep. I'd be disappointed if they didn't look at what Edinburgh achieved this weekend in terms of attracting a crowd.

IWasThere2016
07-04-2012, 07:35 PM
Good on Edinburgh, and I'm glad to hear some enjoyed their Saturday afternoon - but its rugby and that's just American Football for real men :agree:

Eyrie
07-04-2012, 07:37 PM
I can't answer for the anti rugby crowd, however what you're saying is the equivalent of the SFA shelling out cash to the clubs.
Both Edinburgh and Glasgow are owned and operated by the SRU rather than being independent.

It would be more like the SFA subsidising the Ugly Sisters to compete in an Atlantic League/English Division Two/Rockall Championship whilst every other club, including our own, is amateur with a few semi-pro players.

Beefster
07-04-2012, 07:49 PM
A quick check on t'internet suggests that there are 2 or 3 on around £100k (£2k a week) but they're the exception, not the rule. I haven't found anything yet to show what the others are on.

If it's nearer to £30k a year then it's easy to see how they can charge £15 and £5.

You're concentrating on the pricing only and ignoring the things that Hibs could learn from.

Kaiser1962
07-04-2012, 08:07 PM
Can't do links on my phone but see above. Also what gentlemen have a penchant for eye gouging? There is also plenty cheating in ruby, you only need to look so far as the bloodgate scandal.

Rugby is a thugs game played by thugs who can be dishonest. Football is a sport played by people who cab be dishonest.

You have dug up one example of dishonesty in Rugby and in order to add balance you should add how the Rugby Union in England, and the ERC, dealt with it. Contrast and compare with recent cases in Scotland, or elsewhere, and how the relevant football associations dealt with their instances.

It is not a thugs game, far from it. There will be more incidents of "dishonesty" in one football game than in a rugby season.

Hibi
07-04-2012, 08:09 PM

Yes that's my point as well, eye gouging is frequent, also seem to recall some hair pulling as well as the bloodgate thing, proper gentlemen.

MrSmith
07-04-2012, 08:23 PM

Yes!

I have said this on here before, going to ER with my family costs me in the region of £120 per match. 2 x adult tickets at £28 and 3 x kids tickets at £14 = £98 and let us not start talking about the cost of catering on matchdays! £6.99 for a slice of pizza and juice!!! Times that by three then add some sweeties to keep the kids happy - what an expensive day!

Today the match cost me £45, 2 x adults at £15 and 3 x kids at £5, £20 on burgers, chips and drinks and I'm just at 50% cost of going to ER!

Well done Edinburgh Rugby today you were magnificent!

Kojock
07-04-2012, 08:23 PM
Stupid game played by people who didnt have the coordination to play football.

Anyway if a ball was meant to be carried they would have put a handle on it.

Iggy Pope
07-04-2012, 08:25 PM

Whatever next are we to learn from? F1? Wimbers? Synchronised swimming?
Might have said this before, but much as I admire your avatar your username kind of gives you away. Are you Brian Monteith? Hope you and your 'bairns' had a good day but it sounds about as far removed from a day at Easter Road as it should be. Apart from the half empty stadium. That's not far removed at all.

Iggy Pope
07-04-2012, 08:26 PM
Yes!

I have said this on here before, going to ER with my family costs me in the region of £120 per match. 2 x adult tickets at £28 and 3 x kids tickets at £14 = £98 and let us not start talking about the cost of catering on matchdays! £6.99 for a slice of pizza and juice!!! Times that by three then add some sweeties to keep the kids happy - what an expensive day!

Today the match cost me £45, 2 x adults at £15 and 3 x kids at £5, £20 on burgers, chips and drinks and I'm just at 50% cost of going to ER!

Is the Edinburgh Rugby fans forum a busy place? Only asking.

Kaiser1962
07-04-2012, 08:30 PM
Yes that's my point as well, eye gouging is frequent, also seem to recall some hair pulling as well as the bloodgate thing, proper gentlemen.

There is foul play in rugby, not as frequent as you suggest though. It is how the authorites deal with it that is different.

Iggy Pope
07-04-2012, 08:33 PM
A matter of opinion. I'd have to say I enjoyed every one of the Six Nations games better than most football matches I've seen this season. Perils of being a Hibby I suppose.
The attitude of rugby players is refreshing. They have a bit of a punch-up in the scrum but it's soon forgotten. No one feigns injury. They behave more like grownups really.

The problem is introducing the game to youngsters. The prospect of tackling someone bigger and heavier than you is a bit daunting for many kids!

Quote 1
Watching the 6 Nations Rugby is surely the same as watching our own game at that level though? Scotland being equally pants at both, in fact decisively worse at the old rugger, what?

Quote 2
Eh? :faf:

Quote 3
Gavin Henson anyone?

Dashing Bob S
07-04-2012, 08:38 PM
Quote 1
Watching the 6 Nations Rugby is surely the same as watching our own game at that level though? Scotland being equally pants at both, in fact decisively worse at the old rugger, what?

Quote 2
Eh? :faf:

Quote 3
Gavin Henson anyone?

I can't stand rugby, in fact I hate the game with a passion and subscribe to every negative thing said about it on this thread.

Nonetheless, I can see it growing in popularity at the expense of domestic football, for the reasons stated on the thread below this one.

Scotland has two big city clubs, with a growing intercity rivalry, who can compete in Europe, without any leg-up from sectarianism bigotry. When I look at he shambles of club football in this country, I really wish I actually liked the game of rugby more than I do.

MrSmith
07-04-2012, 08:40 PM
Is the Edinburgh Rugby fans forum a busy place? Only asking.

What has a forum got to do with it? only asking likes ...

sadtom
07-04-2012, 08:42 PM
Watched the last half hour, well done to Embra.
Rugby is a far less skillful sport than football. It always seemed to me it was a game for boys who were $heet at fitba.
I'm sure it would have been a decent day out, but what struck me most at the final whistle the crowd celebrations weren't exactly wild, all very restrained if you ask me.
That is the difference, there is no getting away from it, there are definately class 'issues between' fitba and rugger.
Give me a passionate, rowdy, demonstrative fitba crowd to a rather genteel, stoical, emotionless, ruggerbugger crowd any day of the week.
There is no danger that you would ever hear someone attributing the famous Shankly quote about 'life and death' to rugger fans.
I suppose that is why there is so little crowd violence at rugby union matches. In all honesty, they dont appear to give that much of a flying f*** for it ever to be an issue.
We ought to be careful what we wish for. Football has lots of things wrong with it, plenty that need addressed, but i think the imperfections sometimes play a part in making it special.
All over the world fitba is associated with community. It is social, tribal, political. It can contain elements of class, creed, race etc.
When they say its 'only a game'. I think that is true of rugby but not of football.
As far as i'm concerned the private schoolboys, cops and farmers are welcome to it.

chrisski33
07-04-2012, 08:55 PM
Save some money and dont bother with the catering just take a packed luncg!

Yes!

Iggy Pope
07-04-2012, 08:55 PM
What has a forum got to do with it? only asking likes ...

Well, you chose to use this one as a vehicle to articulate what a splendid day you had at an alternative sport whilst pointing out that the cost of visiting the sport that this particular forum is attached to, costs twice as much! Is the Edinburgh Rugby forum pissing all over this as well? Or don't you go there? Only asking. If you do, post a link please.

Pricey weekend for you this week when you add all that dough tomorrow mind.

One Day
07-04-2012, 09:02 PM
I'd say so.

I'd say so too

Iggy Pope
07-04-2012, 09:06 PM
I can't stand rugby, in fact I hate the game with a passion and subscribe to every negative thing said about it on this thread.

Nonetheless, I can see it growing in popularity at the expense of domestic football, for the reasons stated on the thread below this one.

Scotland has two big city clubs, with a growing intercity rivalry, who can compete in Europe, without any leg-up from sectarianism bigotry. When I look at he shambles of club football in this country, I really wish I actually liked the game of rugby more than I do.

Europe is all a bit narrow though when we talk of club rugby Bob, is it not? Would you rather Scotland had only two football clubs? (loaded question, I know)

MrSmith
07-04-2012, 09:10 PM
Well, you chose to use this one as a vehicle to articulate what a splendid day you had at an alternative sport whilst pointing out that the cost of visiting the sport that this particular forum is attached to, costs twice as much! Is the Edinburgh Rugby forum pissing all over this as well? Or don't you go there? Only asking. If you do, post a link please.

Pricey weekend for you this week when you add all that dough tomorrow mind.

Firstly I'll start with your last point and give you the answer you desire - I'm not going tomorrow!

Back to the start, I am not a member of the Edinburgh Rugby forum as yet. last I checked you can find them on Facebook and procure a link from there. Also, if you are insinuating some sort of class difference then, you know where to go! And finally, I don't spend time on forums, in your words 'pissing' on others, I was simply passing on information relating to cost effective days out involving entertainment.

Iggy Pope
07-04-2012, 09:18 PM
Firstly I'll start with your last point and give you the answer you desire - I'm not going tomorrow!

Back to the start, I am not a member of the Edinburgh Rugby forum as yet. last I checked you can find them on Facebook and procure a link from there. Also, if you are insinuating some sort of class difference then, you know where to go! And finally, I don't spend time on forums, in your words 'pissing' on others, I was simply passing on information relating to cost effective days out involving entertainment.

I wasn't desiring that answer Smithy old boy but it was the one I expected. And I can't really see where I have insinuated any sort of class difference in your posts. There are cheaper options for you and your offspring at ER you know. Kids can even go free. Imagine that? And they can get their tea in the hoose later!

silverhibee
07-04-2012, 09:19 PM
Hibs are playing tomorrow for all you egg chasers, hope you can all manage along to ER to see the game. :greengrin

Tomorrow's game against Motherwell will be played with a round ball and you are allowed to cheer the team wearing the green strips. :flag:

:hibees :pfgwa :flag: :hibees :pfgwa :flag:

CallumLaidlaw
07-04-2012, 09:22 PM
The original point wasn't if rugby was better than football. Football is by far my favourite sport, but I also enjoy tennis, rugby & golf. The point being made was a air one. The organisers tried to get more people to a rugby club that normally attracts 4-5k. The pricing, entertainment, advertising, added more than 30,000 to the gate. Now maybe most of them will disappear for edinburghs next home game, but if 1 in 30 decided to return, that's an extra 1,000 on to the gate which is 20% more than a normal league game for them.

My 7 year old went to the game today (first rugby game) and told me he preferred football still, but would go back to the rugby.

Well done to Edinburgh today. Will always want my hometown to do well no matter what sport it was. And hopefully the hibees can better edinburghs semi final, next weekend.

HH81
07-04-2012, 09:24 PM
Hibs are playing tomorrow for all you egg chasers, hope you can all manage along to ER to see the game. :greengrin

Tomorrow's game against Motherwell will be played with a round ball and you are allowed to cheer the team wearing the green strips. :flag:

Don't worry rugby fans his next medication is due at half 10. :greengrin

Iggy Pope
07-04-2012, 09:25 PM
The original point wasn't if rugby was better than football. Football is by far my favourite sport, but I also enjoy tennis, rugby & golf. The point being made was a air one. The organisers tried to get more people to a rugby club that normally attracts 4-5k. The pricing, entertainment, advertising, added more than 30,000 to the gate. Now maybe most of them will disappear for edinburghs next home game, but if 1 in 30 decided to return, that's an extra 1,000 on to the gate which is 20% more than a normal league game for them.

My 7 year old went to the game today (first rugby game) and told me he preferred football still, but would go back to the rugby.

Well done to Edinburgh today. Will always want my hometown to do well no matter what sport it was. And hopefully the hibees can better edinburghs semi final, next weekend.

Really? Really????????

silverhibee
07-04-2012, 09:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a_CeouLmsw

CallumLaidlaw
07-04-2012, 09:26 PM
Really? Really????????

Oh come on. You are well aware I don't mean hearts.

They're from gorgie :wink:

essexhibee
07-04-2012, 09:29 PM
Watched the last half hour, well done to Embra.
Rugby is a far less skillful sport than football. It always seemed to me it was a game for boys who were $heet at fitba.
I'm sure it would have been a decent day out, but what struck me most at the final whistle the crowd celebrations weren't exactly wild, all very restrained if you ask me.
That is the difference, there is no getting away from it, there are definately class 'issues between' fitba and rugger.
Give me a passionate, rowdy, demonstrative fitba crowd to a rather genteel, stoical, emotionless, ruggerbugger crowd any day of the week.
There is no danger that you would ever hear someone attributing the famous Shankly quote about 'life and death' to rugger fans.
I suppose that is why there is so little crowd violence at rugby union matches. In all honesty, they dont appear to give that much of a flying f*** for it ever to be an issue.
We ought to be careful what we wish for. Football has lots of things wrong with it, plenty that need addressed, but i think the imperfections sometimes play a part in making it special.
All over the world fitba is associated with community. It is social, tribal, political. It can contain elements of class, creed, race etc.
When they say its 'only a game'. I think that is true of rugby but not of football.
As far as i'm concerned the private schoolboys, cops and farmers are welcome to it.

Im sorry but that's utter bollocks and a very ignorant sounding comment. Have you ever played the game?

Is place kicking much less of a skill than a penalty in football? Does a drop goal involve no skill? Rugby at the highest level involves an incredible amount of skill if you really watch it. The catching of high balls in the air, one handed offloads whilst running at full pace the list goes on.....

Iggy Pope
07-04-2012, 09:35 PM
Oh come on. You are well aware I don't mean hearts.

They're from gorgie :wink:

I know. Churlish behaviour :na na:

Jones28
07-04-2012, 09:38 PM

There are more football fans than rugby fans in Scotland. Makes sense. All you need to do is look at the balance of rugby to football in Scotland and you'll find that 38,000 for a club game is ******' brilliant :aok:

silverhibee
07-04-2012, 09:40 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-W2To6o7oaaE/TgYZ8ocYJhI/AAAAAAAAAFY/trn3a4O62DA/s1600/Boring.jpg

:hibees :hibees :pfgwa :pfgwa :flag: :flag:

:rules:

Iggy Pope
07-04-2012, 09:44 PM
Im sorry but that's utter bollocks and a very ignorant sounding comment. Have you ever played the game?

Is place kicking much less of a skill than a penalty in football? Does a drop goal involve no skill? Rugby at the highest level involves an incredible amount of skill if you really watch it. The catching of high balls in the air, one handed offloads whilst running at full pace the list goes on.....

Can you play it if you are 19 stone and barely able to shuffle sideways, never mind run? If the answer is yes then stick it below football on the skill scale.
Well done to Edinburgh Rugby, whatever they managed today, and I hope those able-bodied types enjoy playing those jolly drinking games in the Grassmarket (or elsewhere) tonight.

Jones28
07-04-2012, 09:52 PM

With regards to your link, is that any worse than publicity surrounding Ian Black and GOC for Cocaine possession, or David Goodwillie for fighting, Nicolas Bendtner and Lee Cattermole for clattering cars on a night out in Sunderland? Bad publicity surrounds every sport :confused:

You get cheats and thugs involved in both sports. There are more people involved in football that constitute being called a thug than in rugby. It's in the nature of the game of rugby to be a thug :wink: nobody called rugby the beautiful game, for a reason!

I thought the point of this thread was to highlight the fact that people had a great day out for less money, bigger crowds and a generally more enjoyable outcome than they usually have a football games. It's about Hibs and football in general having to wise up that they are not the only show in town.

danhibees1875
07-04-2012, 09:53 PM
Can you play it if you are 19 stone and barely able to shuffle sideways, never mind run? If the answer is yes then stick it below football on the skill scale.
Well done to Edinburgh Rugby, whatever they managed today, and I hope those able-bodied types enjoy playing those jolly drinking games in the Grassmarket (or elsewhere) tonight.

No, I think you're maybe thinking of bowls or darts?

zlatan
07-04-2012, 09:54 PM
Not reading this thread but I trust it's 3 pages of people saying rugby is bloody awful.

silverhibee
07-04-2012, 09:59 PM
Not reading this thread but I trust it's 3 pages of people saying rugby is bloody awful.

Post 86 says it all. :thumbsup:

SteveHFC
07-04-2012, 10:07 PM
Egg chasing is rubbish. End of Discussion :cb

silverhibee
07-04-2012, 10:12 PM
Egg chasing is rubbish. End of Discussion :cb

Do you know you have to throw the egg shaped thingy backward to go forward. :confused: :crazy: :faf:

Iggy Pope
07-04-2012, 10:13 PM
No, I think you're maybe thinking of bowls or darts?

Maybe not.

cabbageandribs1875
07-04-2012, 10:15 PM

indeed :agree: i see a few ignorant comments in this thread :cb anyway, well done Edinburgh, all of the European rugby nations will be very surprised at today's result :aok: unfortunately cant see them beating either Munster or Ulster in Dublin though as they are nearly 30 points behind both of them in the league, be interesting to see the result in Dublin next week between Munster and Glasgow(both of them lying joint 3rd place)

SteveHFC
07-04-2012, 10:18 PM

This will be the ball for tomorrow's game http://www.acasports.co.uk/product_info.php?cpath=67_68&products_id=12741

For those who don't understand the rules of Football. You have to kick the ball instead of holding it :greengrin

SteveHFC
07-04-2012, 10:20 PM
Do you know you have to throw the egg shaped thingy backward to go forward. :confused: :crazy: :faf:

:faf:

sadtom
07-04-2012, 10:26 PM

Yer givin yer mind a treat if you think skill levels are anywhere near the same.
If the truth be told i found rugby a dawdle mate. The only example i'd have is my pe teacher and school team rugby coach (a former internationalist), after 1 p.e. lesson, offered me the captaincy to switch fae fitba to rugger. No chance.
Most good fitba players i know are or would be decent to good at rugby. Same cant be said the other way round.

Iggy Pope
07-04-2012, 10:28 PM
Yer givin yer mind a treat if you think skill levels are anywhere near the same.
If the truth be told i found rugby a dawdle mate. The only example i'd have is my pe teacher and school team rugby coach (a former internationalist), after 1 p.e. lesson, offered me the captaincy to switch fae fitba to rugger. No chance.
Most good fitba players i know are or would be decent to good at rugby. Same cant be said the other way round.

Would that be a Mr Ker perchance?

sadtom
07-04-2012, 10:32 PM

It certainly would. :greengrin

silverhibee
07-04-2012, 10:38 PM
This is how football is played.

http://www.talkfootball.co.uk/guides/rules_of_football.html

:hibees :pfgwa :flag: :flag: :pfgwa :hibees

Iggy Pope
07-04-2012, 10:38 PM

He must have stuck in at St Tam's for longer than I thought! :greengrin

SteveHFC
07-04-2012, 10:40 PM
This is how football is played.

http://www.talkfootball.co.uk/guides/rules_of_football.html

:not worth
:not worth:not worth
:not worth

CFC
08-04-2012, 02:40 AM

Disagree. Scrummaging, tackling, goalkicking, passing, running with the ball, catching up and unders, performing hand offs are all skils. Rugby has a different skillset but all the same those skills require practice just like football.

Lucius Apuleius
08-04-2012, 06:04 AM
"Most footballers could play rugby"?????

Lets put Deek in as a hooker with Gaz and Mixu as his props and see what happens. :wink:

Brilliant result for Edinburgh yesterday.

Septimus
08-04-2012, 06:44 AM
My sole experience with watching rugger was at a Scotland Australia international at Murrayfield. Since I was half cut from drinking some wierd concoction of whisky and ginger wine consumed in the car park I remember little about it.

I was forced to play rugby at my secondary school which had some pretensions towards upper class status. Now, I am glad to say, they have a football team as well as a rugby team.

Each to his own you might say but this thread has been much more entertaining than I suspect the average rugby match is.

HUTCHYHIBBY
08-04-2012, 07:13 AM
Other sports forum?

Hibby Bairn
08-04-2012, 08:05 AM
:hijack: by a discussion about class, member names, egg chasing, skill levels etc etc etc

I'm a ST holder at ER and have been for 15 years. I have never been to a competitive rugby game in my life before. I never watch rugby apart from internationals involving Scotland. I don't even understand all the rules. I don't particularly like the rugby crowd....a bit false if you ask me.

All I am saying is that the day out was far, far better than Easter Road and I suspect it will be a far, far better day out for many than they will experience at Hampden next week. I don't know or care about how it is all funded or costed. I just know it was a brilliant 3 hours and I will definitely go back. And I will take my kids.

Hibs are trying to get people back to ER. They are trying to get new people along. At the moment they are struggling to get existing customers back. I haven't renewed yet for next season for example and there are 10 of us who go together. That is about £2,500 of income waiting for us to fill in a form.

Meanwhile other locally based sports are attracting new customers and bringing in 38,000 people. I am convinved that many of them will go back on the basis of their day out yesterday. And many of them will be Hibs or football supporters who would never have thought of going to a rugby game before.

Now how do Hibs do the same for football and themselves. I hope Scott Lindsay went yesterday and saw what I did.

Barney McGrew
08-04-2012, 08:13 AM

Kaiser1962
08-04-2012, 08:15 AM
Disagree. Scrummaging, tackling, goalkicking, passing, running with the ball, catching up and unders, performing hand offs are all skils. Rugby has a different skillset but all the same those skills require practice just like football.

i think the skillset required for rugby is far more wide ranging than in football and there is a place and a role for almost everyone in a rugby team.

Eyrie
08-04-2012, 10:55 AM

i think the skillset required for rugby is far more wide ranging than in football and there is a place and a role for almost everyone in a rugby team.

Using facts will only confuse those trying to :fishin:

I grew up a Hibs fan and a rugby fan, and am proud of both. Busy day today - watch Hibs, second half of Man Utd and then Arsenal-Man City whilst recording both Heineken games to watch this evening.

Greentinted
08-04-2012, 11:22 AM

Deary me, he's no still dining out on his one solitary cap is he? :greengrin

International Cricketer as well IIRC and to throw a wee spanner in the rugby players being crap at fitba' works, Andrew Ker was a pretty decent skilful midfielder (when he wisnae chasin 6th years...).

Halifaxhibby
08-04-2012, 03:07 PM
Think the OP's thread has unfortunately descended into an arguement between which is the better sport!, i was there yesterday and the atmosphere was terrific, the entertainment, the pricing and the rugby on offer was all superb, I even said to my old man that although the money is in football the professionalism is in rugby.
I'm not interested in a debate on whether rugby is better than football or vice versa, I enjoy both sports. I think, with the limited amount of money available in rugby they seem to use it in a better way than in football.
Scottish football could learn a lot from rugby, the professionalism of the players and the referees for one thing, the refs are constantly talking to the players warning them if there about to commit an infringement, there is no back chat from the players, they respect every decision whether they agree with it or not, you don't see groups of them surrounding the ref mouthing off then throwing massive tantrums when they leave the pitch either. Probably has a lot to do with the fact that in rugby young players are not paid stupid amounts of money at such an early age in life giving them an ego the size of murrayfield and a deluded sense of self importance!.

HibbyDave
08-04-2012, 04:04 PM
I also made some comparison between the level of professionalism between football and Rugby on another thread. I bought advance tickets for the match at Murrayfield, as the days passed leading up to the game I received regular updates by text and e-mail on developments such as TICKET SALES LEVELS. Have Hibs released a single comment on the number of tickets sold for the Semi or attempted any kind of marketing to boost the attendance? Answers on the back of a postage stamp please.
My point was followed by loads of apologists claiming the differnce is that this Edinburgh match was akin to Hibs reaching Chapions league quarter final etc etc. The simple fact is:Rugby do better customer relations than football and footbal (Hibs especially) seem to be too arrogant to learn fom it.

I love both sports and have followed Hibs for over 40 years and this won't change much, however I now choose what games to attend and which ones I'll simply avoid or watch on TV.
Rugby seem to want my custom (and yours) more than football does.

essexhibee
08-04-2012, 04:08 PM
Whats included in the Cup semi pack mentioned on the website? only available in-store....may need to get the grandparents onto it :greengrin

CFC
08-04-2012, 04:08 PM
Great post HalifaxHibby.

I really hope Edinburgh's win generates some momentum for Scottish rugby and is not just a flash in the pan.

Its worth noting that the Heineken Cup has been won by 9 different teams since its inception in 1996. Over the corresponding time frame the SPL has been won by only 2. In terms of competitiveness and value for money Rugby leaves the SPL in the dust.

If only Edinburgh could pull big crowds on a consistent basis they could be amongst the elite of the European game alongside Leinster, Toulouse, Munster every year.

LancashireHibby
08-04-2012, 04:20 PM
Think the OP's thread has unfortunately descended into an arguement between which is the better sport!, i was there yesterday and the atmosphere was terrific, the entertainment, the pricing and the rugby on offer was all superb, I even said to my old man that although the money is in football the professionalism is in rugby.
I'm not interested in a debate on whether rugby is better than football or vice versa, I enjoy both sports. I think, with the limited amount of money available in rugby they seem to use it in a better way than in football.
Scottish football could learn a lot from rugby, the professionalism of the players and the referees for one thing, the refs are constantly talking to the players warning them if there about to commit an infringement, there is no back chat from the players, they respect every decision whether they agree with it or not, you don't see groups of them surrounding the ref mouthing off then throwing massive tantrums when they leave the pitch either. Probably has a lot to do with the fact that in rugby young players are not paid stupid amounts of money at such an early age in life giving them an ego the size of murrayfield and a deluded sense of self importance!.
I'd go and watch the proper rugby that's on your doorstep if I were you :wink:

jdships
08-04-2012, 04:37 PM
I also made some comparison between the level of professionalism between football and Rugby on another thread. I bought advance tickets for the match at Murrayfield, as the days passed leading up to the game I received regular updates by text and e-mail on developments such as TICKET SALES LEVELS. Have Hibs released a single comment on the number of tickets sold for the Semi or attempted any kind of marketing to boost the attendance? Answers on the back of a postage stamp please.
My point was followed by loads of apologists claiming the differnce is that this Edinburgh match was akin to Hibs reaching Chapions league quarter final etc etc. The simple fact is:Rugby do better customer relations than football and footbal (Hibs especially) seem to be too arrogant to learn fom it.

I love both sports and have followed Hibs for over 40 years and this won't change much, however I now choose what games to attend and which ones I'll simply avoid or watch on TV.
Rugby seem to want my custom (and yours) more than football does.

A brilliant post !!!
You put everything into context perfectly
Like you I Love both sports having played pro football , for three years ,and then went back to rugby and was lucky enough to play in Oz and NZ at a decent level
70+ years having passed since I attended my first game at ER I am more and more turning to rugby for my SATURDAY AFTERNOON entertainment

I have written to " Hibs FC" on more than one occasion over the past few years reminding them they are part of the ' entertainment business ' and sadly little or nothing has changed .
I do not genuinely believe this is just a "Hibs alone" problem I reckon Scottish football is dying on its feet because of those in charge are determined to ignore supporters " welfare" .
Friday night, Saturday lunch time , Sunday Lunchtime , Monday evening K.O's do nothing to encourage punters to turn up . This is not
" Customer friendly" surely
Twelve team league with playing same club four times a year plus cup matches - is that entertainment ?
A big " well done " to Edinburgh and Coach Bradley !!!

NAE NOOKIE
08-04-2012, 05:00 PM
I have lived in the Borders most of my life and had to play Rugby at High school.

I was rubbish at it and in the only game I ever played for the school ( 2nds ) I was concussed by a big fat lad from Hawick who ran over the top of me like I was an ant.

It annoyed the crap out of me that I was forced to go to a school with no football team. It did have one football pitch in a field next to the three pristine rugby pitches. The footy pitch had one level half and a not so level half where if you shot from the halfway line the ball would go three feet over the bar, even if the ball had never actually risen more than a couple of inches from its starting point.

In the Borders especially the likes of Hawick and Melrose you have to be one of the rugger set to fit in. My second wife came from Hawick and thought the rugby crowd were a bunch of tools so far up themselves they almost disappeared. She also thought Bill McLaren who tought at her high school was a tool as well.

I have been on a hundred supporters buses and on none of them would we have stopped for a 'comfort break' and continued merrily on against the side of the bus if we knew a woman could see us. A courtesy not afforded my wife by a busfull of bufters in a car park near Selkirk a few years ago.

Also this stuff about not booing the opposition at penalties and stuff. What a load of affected bloody nonsense, at least fitba fans are honest about what they think.

I dont mind rugby as such and I'm sure football could learn a few things from it.

But it will never, ever, ever, ever be a patch on the beautiful game.

Cabbage East
08-04-2012, 05:33 PM
Rugby :faf:

CFC
08-04-2012, 06:21 PM
Fair point Bovril. Ultimately both sports have tools that follow them, its a sort of pick your poison scenario. Rugby has your well to do types that think their you know what doesnt stink, football has the opposite scale, fans singing up the RA, famine song, casuals etc.

Its unfair to generalise all fans with the same brush imo. There are good and bad Rugby and Football fans.

I have lived in the Borders most of my life and had to play Rugby at High school.

I was rubbish at it and in the only game I ever played for the school ( 2nds ) I was concussed by a big fat lad from Hawick who ran over the top of me like I was an ant.

It annoyed the crap out of me that I was forced to go to a school with no football team. It did have one football pitch in a field next to the three pristine rugby pitches. The footy pitch had one level half and a not so level half where if you shot from the halfway line the ball would go three feet over the bar, even if the ball had never actually risen more than a couple of inches from its starting point.

In the Borders especially the likes of Hawick and Melrose you have to be one of the rugger set to fit in. My second wife came from Hawick and thought the rugby crowd were a bunch of tools so far up themselves they almost disappeared. She also thought Bill McLaren who tought at her high school was a tool as well.

I have been on a hundred supporters buses and on none of them would we have stopped for a 'comfort break' and continued merrily on against the side of the bus if we knew a woman could see us. A courtesy not afforded my wife by a busfull of bufters in a car park near Selkirk a few years ago.

Also this stuff about not booing the opposition at penalties and stuff. What a load of affected bloody nonsense, at least fitba fans are honest about what they think.

I dont mind rugby as such and I'm sure football could learn a few things from it.

Broken Gnome
08-04-2012, 07:28 PM
Great post HalifaxHibby.

I really hope Edinburgh's win generates some momentum for Scottish rugby and is not just a flash in the pan.

Its worth noting that the Heineken Cup has been won by 9 different teams since its inception in 1996. Over the corresponding time frame the SPL has been won by only 2. In terms of competitiveness and value for money Rugby leaves the SPL in the dust.

If only Edinburgh could pull big crowds on a consistent basis they could be amongst the elite of the European game alongside Leinster, Toulouse, Munster every year.

But 10 have won the Champions League. Can't really make a comparison between a domestic league and an elite European competition? :confused:

Andy74
08-04-2012, 08:55 PM

Aye. How to lose vast sums of money.

MrSmith
08-04-2012, 09:19 PM

Andy, isn't that a doom and gloomer defeatist view?

If providing cheap tickets, some light entertainment and cheap flags brought 22,000 supporters in to ER every home match, I for one, would be delighted!

Eyrie
08-04-2012, 09:47 PM
Sounds like the "rugby is crap" brigade are suggesting we should go to the cinema rather than a game of professional sport for entertainment.

SteveHFC
08-04-2012, 10:06 PM
Sounds like the "rugby is crap" brigade are suggesting we should go to the cinema rather than a game of professional sport for entertainment.

Yes me and Silver agree with that :greengrin

MrSmith
08-04-2012, 10:38 PM
Yes me and Silver agree with that :greengrin

More precious numbers lost to Hibs then, no?

silverhibee
08-04-2012, 10:51 PM
More precious numbers lost to Hibs then, no?

Me and Mainboy are still puzzled that this egg chasing thread is sill on the MB forum for football.

Down with the egg chasers. :greengrin

Are you listening HH, egg chasing is http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-5sxxTulUXcQ/T0fPQF4jpOI/AAAAAAAADGw/O0qXvVai1h8/s1600/boring.jpg

jdships
08-04-2012, 11:13 PM

e
You are having a laugh surely ?
Walk along Easter Road or Gorgie after the game and see the punters having a "pee" . Speak to the polis and they will tell you people on Football supporters buses are spoken to every week about " comfort breaks " .
There is room for both games which suit people with different skills .
No disrespect to your wife but would strongly disagree about Bill McLaren . I have a number of friends who were taught at school and on the rugby field and all say he was a gentleman . This I can vouch for on the few occasions I met him
At least fitba' fans etc
You wish ! Does that include racism ,bigotry , sectarianism etc ? What a joke

Then again we are all entitled to our opinions :greengrin:wink::rolleyes:

Andy74
08-04-2012, 11:16 PM
Andy, isn't that a doom and gloomer defeatist view?

If providing cheap tickets, some light entertainment and cheap flags brought 22,000 supporters in to ER every home match, I for one, would be delighted!

Edinburgh normally get about 2,000 so let's not pretend we can learn from them.

MrSmith
08-04-2012, 11:25 PM

Yes I know, I have attended all season. But, I'm hoping you see the irony in the comment? Also, after today, we are only a few thousand ahead of Edinburgh.

jdships
08-04-2012, 11:27 PM

But surely that's exactly what's wrong with Scottish Football in particular and with Football in general that they are so introverted that they are not prepared to learn from other sports how to improve their marketing strategy
Remember that football is part of the "Entertainment Business " and as it stands needs all the help and advice it can get to stay in business

CFC
08-04-2012, 11:55 PM
But 10 have won the Champions League. Can't really make a comparison between a domestic league and an elite European competition? :confused: Fair enough, the Celtic league (which Embra play in) has 12 teams in it, same as the SPL. Since its been around (think its been around since 2000) it has been won by 5 different teams. Not only that but the same 2 teams don't always finish first and second (Embra were runners up 3 years ago).

Im no slagging off Scottish football but imo the Rugby setup is better and thats because the OF and their apologists have hijacked it for their own self interest.

cabbageandribs1875
09-04-2012, 12:06 AM
She also thought Bill McLaren who tought at her high school was a tool as well.

oh yeah, a "tool" that received an OBE, MBE, and a CBE, not bad for a mere commentator that received minute silences in many stadiums all over the uk :rolleyes: still, i do hope the tool spelled "taught" properly :cb spesh wae him being a teacher and aw that :agree:

oh and p.s. Edinburgh will play Ulster in Dublin in the SF :)

jgl07
09-04-2012, 01:01 AM

You've missed out the bit about the referee blowing a whistle at random and awarding a penalty kick to one side or another.

David Baddiel devised a game called rugby snooker when you can pick the ball up and out it into the pocket!

NAE NOOKIE
09-04-2012, 05:29 AM
oh yeah, a "tool" that received an OBE, MBE, and a CBE, not bad for a mere commentator that received minute silences in many stadiums all over the uk :rolleyes: still, i do hope the tool spelled "taught" properly :cb spesh wae him being a teacher and aw that :agree:

oh and p.s. Edinburgh will play Ulster in Dublin in the SF :)

Hi look ... I presume her opinion was based on her view that the rugby bufters at HHS were looked upon as the elite and if you were not part of that you were out in the cold a wee bit and from her point of view Mr McLaren was the figurehead for that. FWIW I think Bill McLaren is probably one of the best sports commentators ever.

Oh and I'm not that impressed by gongs handed out to folk. Sir Fred Goodwin, Sir Geoffry Archer, Sir David Murray. Not saying Bill McLaren is anything to do with folk of that ilk, just .... The honours system .... hmmm!

Cheers for the spelling tip, my grammar aint that good either.

By the way .... I have always wondered ...... is smart arse one word or two?

:gun:

NAE NOOKIE
09-04-2012, 05:39 AM
e
You are having a laugh surely ?
Walk along Easter Road or Gorgie after the game and see the punters having a "pee" . Speak to the polis and they will tell you people on Football supporters buses are spoken to every week about " comfort breaks " .
There is room for both games which suit people with different skills .
No disrespect to your wife but would strongly disagree about Bill McLaren . I have a number of friends who were taught at school and on the rugby field and all say he was a gentleman . This I can vouch for on the few occasions I met him
At least fitba' fans etc
You wish ! Does that include racism ,bigotry , sectarianism etc ? What a joke

Then again we are all entitled to our opinions :greengrin:wink::rolleyes:

I was talking about booing or nor booing ... I think the other stuff is a different subject on which you will get no argument from me.

yeezus.
09-04-2012, 08:38 AM

:thumbsup:

would rather watch paint dry... the amount of times decent fitba games have been turned off in the pub for rugby .. does ma nut in

cabbageandribs1875
09-04-2012, 08:42 AM

no idea, you've probably been called one often enough, i thought you would know :hmmm:

NAE NOOKIE
09-04-2012, 08:50 AM
no idea, you've probably been called one often enough, i thought you would know :hmmm:

Yeh mate, but thats a guess on your part about me. Whereas I've got proof about you. :cb

jdships
09-04-2012, 08:51 AM
:thumbsup:

would rather watch paint dry... the amount of times decent fitba games have been turned off in the pub for rugby .. does ma nut in

When did you last see a decent game of fitba on the telly ? :rolleyes:
Come to think about in when did you last see a decent game of football at ER/Aberdeen/Stranraer ? :greengrin:wink::na na:

Hibbyradge
09-04-2012, 09:20 AM
It's amusing how some people's tribal bunker mentality stretches to the actual sport never mind the team.

Why isn't it possible to understand and enjoy both sports without the childish "my dad's bigger than your dad" type attitude?

Is it because rugby is a bit tricky to understand sometimes that people are so frightened of it? :dunno:

cabbageandribs1875
09-04-2012, 09:23 AM
Yeh mate, but thats a guess on your part about me. Whereas I've got proof about you. :cb

aw man that's really hurt, back to the school playground for you bud :rolleyes: i'm gonna have to let you win this :(

MrSmith
09-04-2012, 09:26 AM
It's amusing how some people's tribal bunker mentality stretches to the actual sport never mind the team.

Why isn't it possible to understand and enjoy both sports without the childish "my dad's bigger than your dad" type attitude?

Is it because rugby is a bit tricky to understand sometimes that people are so frightened of it? :dunno:

Absolutely agree! It is tricky to get your head round but worth it. I do enjoy both football and rugby. I am though p!sh at both!

Phil MaGlass
09-04-2012, 09:46 AM
:hijack: by a discussion about class, member names, egg chasing, skill levels etc etc etc

I'm a ST holder at ER and have been for 15 years. I have never been to a competitive rugby game in my life before. I never watch rugby apart from internationals involving Scotland. I don't even understand all the rules. I don't particularly like the rugby crowd....a bit false if you ask me.

All I am saying is that the day out was far, far better than Easter Road and I suspect it will be a far, far better day out for many than they will experience at Hampden next week. I don't know or care about how it is all funded or costed. I just know it was a brilliant 3 hours and I will definitely go back. And I will take my kids.

Hibs are trying to get people back to ER. They are trying to get new people along. At the moment they are struggling to get existing customers back. I haven't renewed yet for next season for example and there are 10 of us who go together. That is about £2,500 of income waiting for us to fill in a form.

Meanwhile other locally based sports are attracting new customers and bringing in 38,000 people. I am convinved that many of them will go back on the basis of their day out yesterday. And many of them will be Hibs or football supporters who would never have thought of going to a rugby game before.

Now how do Hibs do the same for football and themselves. I hope Scott Lindsay went yesterday and saw what I did.

Been a Hibs fan all my life, very seldom missed a game (home or away), until I moved abroad,never was a rugby fan but when Scotland played I would support them even though I didnt understand he game(I do now), met up with other Scots, who also enjoyed atmosphere of going to the rugby, yes,, the rugby folk they are a different type of folk but not all hooray henrys, theres alot of down to earth great rugby supporters who also like the fitba. Ive watched Scotland in the 6 nations in Dublin, Paris and just recently back from Rome, absolutely brilliant, (except for the way we played in Rome). Ive even started watching rugby league, and I have to say I (now and again) prefer the rugby over the drab, dour and overpriced fitba I have been watching in the last few years. I can go to the rugby, have a few beers with fans of the opposite side, pay relatively low prices, buy quality food inside the stadium, sit with opposition fans while having a beer or two, without the fear of getting a slap in the puss. Rugby is a great experience, great day/weekend and i would say to anyone who has never been to a Scotland International, buy a ticket go along with a couple of mates and enjoy the day.
I will be back for the HIbs v Dons semi, lets hope they(SFA, teams and fans) can make it a spectacle and a great day out like the rugby can (and we. get the win)

Phil MaGlass
09-04-2012, 09:57 AM
Hi look ... I presume her opinion was based on her view that the rugby bufters at HHS were looked upon as the elite and if you were not part of that you were out in the cold a wee bit and from her point of view Mr McLaren was the figurehead for that. FWIW I think Bill McLaren is probably one of the best sports commentators ever.

Oh and I'm not that impressed by gongs handed out to folk. Sir Fred Goodwin, Sir Geoffry Archer, Sir David Murray. Not saying Bill McLaren is anything to do with folk of that ilk, just .... The honours system .... hmmm!

Cheers for the spelling tip, my grammar aint that good either.

hahahaha...

Steve-O
09-04-2012, 10:02 AM

Aye. Cos Hibs are making vast profits currently.

Hibby Bairn
09-04-2012, 10:55 AM

Maybe. But on Sat I would guess that that fixture pulled in well above half a million pounds. No idea of the costs involved but I would think a decent profit would be earned.

NAE NOOKIE
09-04-2012, 12:43 PM
aw man that's really hurt, back to the school playground for you bud :rolleyes: i'm gonna have to let you win this :(

Dinnae geez the moral high ground bit pal, you started this. A simple apology for patronizing me would have done.

.Sean.
09-04-2012, 03:21 PM
This thread should have ended after the first 'Rugby is *****' post IMO.

IWasThere2016
09-04-2012, 03:37 PM

Nah. Forced to play it at school as PE Masters were rugger guys. Hence I have nae 'enjoyment' of it.

It was not, is not, and never will be a patch on the Beautiful Game IMHO.

jgl07
09-04-2012, 10:10 PM
Aye. Cos Hibs are making vast profits currently.

Have Hibs not made a profit for all bar one of the last eight years?

In any event, Edinburgh Rugby are virtually financed by the SRU from receipts from international matches. The cash raised at the gate will go nowhere near covering wages.

Hibs would walk European Financial Fair Play regulations. Edinburgh Rugby would come anywhere near to complying with rules of that sort.

Holmesdale Hibs
09-04-2012, 10:48 PM
I've been to one rugby game in my life and I wouldn't go back. Don't see the need to slag it off it's just not my thing.

Being diplomatic, there are a few things football could learn from rugby those that come to mind are 1) respect for referees (assuming rugby referees are better than the one we had on Saturday) 2) fans that can behave themselves 3) as far as I know, there isn't any play acting or diving 4) you can drink at the games.

My main problem with rugby is a find the sport boring. I accept there is a lot of skill and the players are harder than footballers, but I just can't watch it.

NAE NOOKIE
10-04-2012, 06:44 AM
This thread should have ended after the first 'Rugby is *****' post IMO.

Couldnt agree more

cabbageandribs1875
10-04-2012, 01:31 PM
Dinnae geez the moral high ground bit pal, you started this. A simple apology for patronizing me would have done.

dae wan amigo :aok:

PatHead
10-04-2012, 02:02 PM
Not a big rugby fan myself. Have been to a number of international games myself and never really enjoyed it. Most of the supporters I came across didn't really know much about rugby but were there to be seen so they could talk about it at their dinner parties and impress each other. Having got my prejudices aside I do believe football could learn a lot from marketing. This has to be taken in the perspective that SRU got it badly wrong and only managed a half full stadium against the World Champions (South Africa) a couple of years ago. I think they learnt a lot from English Premier league as could we in Scotland

GreenCastle
10-04-2012, 02:24 PM
Was there on Saturday and even though I enjoyed it - I still prefer football much more and the atmosphere at football is more fun with songs / chants etc.

Edinburgh are doing really well and that was a good crowd at the weekend - though if Hibs were in European competition at that stage the atmosphere would have really been electric - remember Athens at home!! At the rugby there weren't many songs etc.

Football / Hibs can learn from what Edinburgh are doing though. I thought the food / drink available was much better than ER - though still not the cheapest - better quality though.

They also had many adverts on the radio leading up to the game and marketed tickets well - making them cheaper to buy before a certain date.

I thought the pre-match entertainment was good also - liked how they introduced the teams on the big screens - however I know big screens at ER would cost quite a bit of cash and I would rather see a good team on the pitch than fancy t.v screens!

The other area I would copy from rugby is the respect given to ref's - would involve changing the mindset but it's not impossible. Far from it!

Sylar
11-04-2012, 10:31 AM
Nah. Forced to play it at school as PE Masters were rugger guys. Hence I have nae 'enjoyment' of it.

It was not, is not, and never will be a patch on the Beautiful Game IMHO.

Which of the 2 is "better" is absolutely neither here nor there though, is it?

The point is, that football can learn a few things from the matchday experience and who amongst us can really argue?

Football is overpriced, predictable, run by an establishment for a select few and commentated on accordingly, not fan (customer) friendly and populated by a select group of people who cause legislation to be enforced due to such a backward mentality.

I'm a fan of many different sports and football could learn something from just about every one of them. The difference is, that support for football in the UK is taken for granted. All of these cliches about the "beautiful game" and "football as a religion" ensure that loyalty and income to the clubs and therefore leagues are guaranteed. Hence why people will fork out hundreds of pounds on season tickets, despite the fact that clubs, TV companies and league bodies bend them over season after season. Clubs rely on this blind loyalty in football, where a fanbase will stump up money to help "the cause", "because that's what supporters do". It's the wrong approach to take IMO and although this support is admirable, it's a two way street and the clubs need to play their part in continuing to attract people back to watch a product which is worthwhile, fair, good value and enjoyable. Football has become complacent that people will return, irrespective of everything.

The many other sports I watch all focus on the supporter as a luxury and go out of their way to make the matchday experience more than just the game itself. Without getting hung up on the quality of these sports by comparison to football (as I'm aware folk will either agree or hate them), the likes of the NFL, baseball, golf, Ice Hockey, Rugby all have very enjoyable matchday experiences which extend to before and after the game. They have a range of pricing structures, aren't governed by over-zealous officiating bodies, laws and legislations with very few clubs spending into financial oblivion. I'm aware that in the case of the American Sports I cite, this is boosted by a large populous and hefty sponsor investment, but it's incidental as if the product was boring or not worth it, sponsors and supporters wouldn't put their money into it.

The MLS might not be the oldest, most exciting or highest quality of football in the world, but the experience of a matchday is brilliant, as the clubs and the league continue to try and attract as many supporters as possible.

yeezus.
11-04-2012, 10:50 AM

Not entirely, I hate rugby but it sounds like a good day out.

silverhibee
11-04-2012, 11:43 AM
This thread should be in the Other Sports forum on .net, Other Sports clearly states for egg chasing, this is an egg chasing thread and should be moved to the egg chasing forum.

We have a semi-final FOOTBALL game at the weekend to debate about on the football forum, egg chasing thread should be kicked in to touch :greengrin and end up in Other Sports forum.

Sorry to upset any egg chasers. :cb :greengrin

Hibby Bairn
11-04-2012, 12:04 PM
This thread should be in the Other Sports forum on .net, Other Sports clearly states for egg chasing, this is an egg chasing thread and should be moved to the egg chasing forum.

We have a semi-final FOOTBALL game at the weekend to debate about on the football forum, egg chasing thread should be kicked in to touch :greengrin and end up in Other Sports forum.

And yet.....just when the thread drifts a bit you keep it high up on the home page board. :cool2:

silverhibee
11-04-2012, 12:21 PM
And yet.....just when the thread drifts a bit you keep it high up on the home page board. :cool2:

It was in the top five when i posted on it, but this is my last post on the egg chasing thread. :aok: :greengrin

C'mon Admins move this nonsense. :greengrin

Hibby Bairn
11-04-2012, 12:24 PM
It was in the top five when i posted on it, but this is my last post on the egg chasing thread. :aok: :greengrin

C'mon Admins move this nonsense. :greengrin

There you go again. :greengrin

SteveHFC
11-04-2012, 05:39 PM
Me and Silver want Mikey to close the thread :greengrin

HUTCHYHIBBY
11-04-2012, 05:59 PM

Quite surprised it hasnt been converted to that forum yet.

KazHibby
11-04-2012, 06:15 PM
Glasgow Rugby have been heavily sponsoring PTFC for a number of years; next season they will move across to a new stadium, and PTFC income will take a major blow!

A bit of topic, but income flows are income flows.

Just think Sale Sharks relocating to the Inland Revenue Arena, Govan, if Brian Kennedy buys the hun!

Mikey
11-04-2012, 08:26 PM
Me and Silver want Mikey to close the thread :greengrin

Mikey wants to close you and Silver :greengrin

frazeHFC
11-04-2012, 08:29 PM
Mikey wants to close you and Silver :greengrin

Keep this thread on the mainboard, it's interesting to read and shows where football can learn.......and best of all, annoy Mainboy and Silver :agree: In fact, if they moan again, can they be binned instead of the thread. :dunno:

silverhibee
11-04-2012, 08:38 PM

Keep this thread on the mainboard, it's interesting to read and shows where football can learn.......and best of all, annoy Mainboy and Silver :agree: In fact, if they moan again, can they be binned instead of the thread. :dunno:

We will learn nothing from egg chasers. Put this thread where it belongs. Other Sports Forum for egg chasing, is that correct Mikey. :cb

SteveHFC
11-04-2012, 08:41 PM
We will learn nothing from egg chasers. Put this thread where it belongs. Other Sports Forum for egg chasing, is that correct Mikey. :cb

:cb