PDA

View Full Version : NHC Who plays in a league like this?

Paisley Hibby
07-04-2012, 02:34 PM
Celtic 21 points ahead of Rangers who, despite being deducted 10 points, are 6 points ahead of the team in 3rd. And it's only early April. Celtic win the league at an away ground which is handed over to their fans to effectively turn it into a home game. The club involved do that for a sum of money less than what Carlos Tevez earns in a week. Scottish Fitba, what a joke.

Mikey
07-04-2012, 02:43 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/spain_results/tables/default.stm

yeezus.
07-04-2012, 02:56 PM
I'd still rather watch any Scottish game over any English game as a matter of principle... but would prefer a 14 team league with no split and no Old firm.

CallumLaidlaw
07-04-2012, 02:59 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/spain_results/tables/default.stm

Difference is Mikey, their top 2 are simply outstanding, followed by a few excellent teams, shown by the Europa league & Champions league. Our top 2 are mediocre at best, followed by 10 poor teams. And you only have to go back 10 years since a non Barca/Real team won the league. When was ours?

Mikey
07-04-2012, 03:03 PM
Difference is Mikey, their top 2 are simply outstanding, followed by a few excellent teams, shown by the Europa league & Champions league. Our top 2 are mediocre at best, followed by 10 poor teams. And you only have to go back 10 years since a non Barca/Real team won the league. When was ours?

They're outstanding because they play in a bigger country with higher incomes. They've still cornered the money in their league and they still get the dodgy refereeing decisions.

Hibs are stuck in Scotland, like it or not. We can either support Scottish football or walk away from it. The best leagues in the world aren't a lot different when you look behind the income levels.

jgl07
07-04-2012, 03:08 PM
I'd still rather watch any Scottish game over any English game as a matter of principle... but would prefer a 14 team league with no split and no Old firm.

A 26 match season?

16 or 18 teams is essential if a split is to be avoided.

CallumLaidlaw
07-04-2012, 03:10 PM
They're outstanding because they play in a bigger country with higher incomes. They've still cornered the money in their league and they still get the dodgy refereeing decisions.

Hibs are stuck in Scotland, like it or not. We can either support Scottish football or walk away from it. The best leagues in the world aren't a lot different when you look behind the income levels.

I'll continue to support Scottish football. Although I may change my mind as the rangers situation develops. I was talking to a fellow hibby this morning and was saying that no matter how bad we get I still can't stop myself from getting a season ticket. I lived down south for too long where I was unable to come up more than once every 6 weeks so really dont take for granted being able to go regularly now.

It's not like the rest of La Liga is skint tho is it, and dodgy refereeing happens in every league

Mikey
07-04-2012, 03:15 PM
It's not like the rest of La Liga is skint tho is it, and dodgy refereeing happens in every league

Nope, but the top two will make sure they don't get anywhere near them under the current TV deal.

Sas_The_Hibby
07-04-2012, 03:19 PM
It's a pathetic set up really, and perhaps inevitable, given the love affair with Rantic that half of Scotland seems to have, giving them huge resources in Scottish terms. At the same time, however, IMHO, clubs outside of the OF, including ours, have themselves partly to blame for a distinct lack of ambition.

I think back to the season we finished third under McLeish, for example, when I think we could have pushed on and really had a go at splitting the OF, at least, but seemed to settle for third place as being good enough, half way through the season. Or am I being too harsh?

Keith_M
07-04-2012, 03:30 PM

Or Portugal, where outside of the big three, the league has only ever been won twice by another team.

Paisley Hibby
07-04-2012, 04:14 PM
Or Portugal, where outside of the big three, the league has only ever been won twice by another team.

Number of different clubs that have won the National Championship since 1990

France - 11
Sweden - 9
Eire and Poland - 8
Denmark - 7
England, Germany, Italy and Norway - 6
Belgium, Holland and Spain - 5
Portugal - 4
Greece - 3
Scotland - 2

jgl07
07-04-2012, 04:32 PM
It's a pathetic set up really, and perhaps inevitable, given the love affair with Rantic that half of Scotland seems to have, giving them huge resources in Scottish terms. At the same time, however, IMHO, clubs outside of the OF, including ours, have themselves partly to blame for a distinct lack of ambition.

I think back to the season we finished third under McLeish, for example, when I think we could have pushed on and really had a go at splitting the OF, at least, but seemed to settle for third place as being good enough, half way through the season. Or am I being too harsh?

Rubbish.

I dispair that people like you do not learn.

Hibs spent so much under McLeish that the team well on the way to bein in the same mess that Hearts are in now. Hearts you will recall tried (and succeeded for one year) to split the OF.

Other teams who 'displayed ambition' incuded Motherwell (once in Administration), Dundee (twice in Administration), Livingston (twice in Administration).

God Petrie
07-04-2012, 04:45 PM
Unsustainability is rewarded and prudence is punished.

Hopefully FFP helps to sort out the current mess football is in but I suspect FIFA won't enforce it as much as they need to.

ekhibee
07-04-2012, 05:14 PM
Rubbish.

Hibs spent so much under McLeish that the team well on the way to bein in the same mess that Hearts are in now. Hearts you will recall tried (and succeeded for one year) to split the OF.

Other teams who 'displayed ambition' incuded Motherwell (once in Administration), Dundee (twice in Administration), Livingston (twice in Administration).

Instead of which we are well run financially and 2nd bottom of the SPL. If you think loan deals and bargain basement buys are the way to go, that's your opinion. When we did have money to spend on better players we didn't, and now, if you believe the chairman, we are now totally relying on season ticket sales to give the manager money to spend. We need wholesale changes in the team, in virtually every area of the park, so like it or not, we will need to spend more, unless, as I said, we are, and will always be, for the forseable future, relying on players that aren't good enough to get games for the clubs they belong to.

marinello59
07-04-2012, 05:22 PM
Instead of which we are well run financially and 2nd bottom of the SPL. If you think loan deals and bargain basement buys are the way to go, that's your opinion. When we did have money to spend on better players we didn't, and now, if you believe the chairman, we are now totally relying on season ticket sales to give the manager money to spend. We need wholesale changes in the team, in virtually every area of the park, so like it or not, we will need to spend more, unless, as I said, we are, and will always be, for the forseable future, relying on players that aren't good enough to get games for the clubs they belong to.

Nowhere has that been said. Yet another hibs.net truth is well on its way to being created.

ekhibee
07-04-2012, 08:20 PM
Nowhere has that been said. Yet another hibs.net truth is well on its way to being created.

My apologies, is there another source of income we have overlooked?

bingo70
07-04-2012, 08:24 PM
I've been quite impressed with some of the standard in the SPL this season, we'll see another good team playing decent football playing against us tomorrow.
I don't believe the hype the SPL is as bad as made out.

Mikey
07-04-2012, 08:30 PM
I've been quite impressed with some of the standard in the SPL this season, we'll see another good team playing decent football playing against us tomorrow.
I don't believe the hype the SPL is as bad as made out.

I agree. If we were sitting in Motherwell's position there wouldn't be as many complaints from Hibs fans about the standard in Scotland.

It's all about results.

bingo70
07-04-2012, 08:39 PM
I thought Dundee utd were excellent a couple of weeks ago as well and unlike the English league the majority of players were Scottish (or in there case English)

In Scotland we're back bringing home grown players through again, the league won't be fixed over night but we're trying at least, the English imo are still oblivious to what's heading there way.

marinello59
07-04-2012, 09:48 PM
My apologies, is there another source of income we have overlooked?

:confused:
You claimed the Petrie said it was our only source of income which is untrue. There are plenty of valid reasons to question the board but merely making stuff up to beat them up further helps nobody. I really don't understand the relevance of your question.

Sas_The_Hibby
07-04-2012, 11:20 PM
Rubbish.

Thanks so much for putting me right in no uncertain terms. "People like me" obviously have a lot to learn from your superior wisdom. :rolleyes:

IN 200/01 the money was already spent and finishing second was a realistic target.

Dundee and Livingston are hardly examples of clubs who have seriously tried to break the OF monopoly in the last 40 years.

Oh and by the way, if you're really going to despair of "people like me", you could at least try and spell "despair" correctly. :wink:

jgl07
08-04-2012, 12:03 AM

Hibs are second bottom because of constant chopping an changing of managers and some poor appointments (Highes, Calderwood).

Motherwell, Dundee United and St Johnstone have produced competitive teams on a fraction of the budget that Hibs have used.

Do you think that Hibs should follow the example of Hearts and Rangers and spend themselvesinto insolvency? Maybe that's your opinion?

Hibs nearly went down that route in the McLeish era

Eyrie
08-04-2012, 10:47 AM
Hibs are second bottom because of constant chopping an changing of managers and some poor appointments (Highes, Calderwood).

Motherwell, Dundee United and St Johnstone have produced competitive teams on a fraction of the budget that Hibs have used.

Do you think that Hibs should follow the example of Hearts and Rangers and spend themselvesinto insolvency? Maybe that's your opinion?

Hibs nearly went down that route in the McLeish era
And that spending disguised the Ginger Judas' inadequacies as a manager. Got Birmingham relegated last year and Villa are struggling this season.