PDA

View Full Version : Cathkin Park

Pete
07-04-2012, 03:39 AM
I've always wanted to visit this place as it's a piece of living football history. I never actually knew until now that it was so close to hampden...it's surely no more than a five minute walk after looking at google street maps. Every other time I've been at hampden it's just been a case of total bevying and finding my way to the ground and back by means unknown. That isn't the case this time and I would love to walk around this place, take some photos and even have a kick about with the boy!
It looks eerie from the photos I've seen...but in a good way. So many footballing moments, memories and events must have happened there and it's strange that it's just been allowed to almost freeze in time yet nature take it's course around it.

However, it looks like it's in a bit of a dump and I hope its OK to go to.

Call it sad but I'm looking forward to this visit almost as much as the match itself.

HibeesLA
07-04-2012, 05:11 AM
I've always wanted to visit this place as it's a piece of living football history. I never actually knew until now that it was so close to hampden...it's surely no more than a five minute walk after looking at google street maps. Every other time I've been at hampden it's just been a case of total bevying and finding my way to the ground and back by means unknown. That isn't the case this time and I would love to walk around this place, take some photos and even have a kick about with the boy!
It looks eerie from the photos I've seen...but in a good way. So many footballing moments, memories and events must have happened there and it's strange that it's just been allowed to almost freeze in time yet nature take it's course around it.

Call it sad but I'm looking forward to this visit almost as much as the match itself.

I believe that it is still in use for Amateur games. I'm sure that the whole of the terracing exists, but may be overgrown in parts. None of the structures (main stand/dressing rooms/roof) is there obviously, but remember reading about it and seeing pictures and looks like it would be a good visit given it's so close to hampden.

ALF TUPPER
07-04-2012, 06:11 AM
Been there - i remember thinking that it was pretty surreal. Ghostly. Must have been 100s of class footballers that played there and huge supports turning up. All gone. Enjoy your visit .

Just thinking .....If you hang around long enough there is another ground about to befall the same fate that you can visit . Another in Glasgow's south side. :)

.Sean.
07-04-2012, 06:54 AM
A re-formed Third Lanark currently play there, i'm sure they're doing the place up.

Pretty Boy
07-04-2012, 07:20 AM
A re-formed Third Lanark currently play there, i'm sure they're doing the place up.

I was just about to ask if Third Lanark still existed in any form.

Always thought it strange that there was never any sign of a team.considering the fan base they once had. Especially when you see clubs like Clydebank, Gretna, Leith Athletic, St Bernards etc all still around in some incarnation.

As for Cathkin Park, its a strange wee place. I always find it more eerie because of the well maintained football park sat in the middle of a terrace overgrown and crumbling. Definitely worth an.hour of your time to see a piece of living football history.

MSK
07-04-2012, 07:28 AM
I was just about to ask if Third Lanark still existed in any form.

Always thought it strange that there was never any sign of a team.considering the fan base they once had. Especially when you see clubs like Clydebank, Gretna, Leith Athletic, St Bernards etc all still around in some incarnation.

As for Cathkin Park, its a strange wee place. I always find it more eerie because of the well maintained football park sat in the middle of a terrace overgrown and crumbling. Definitely worth an.hour of your time to see a piece of living football history.I would love to see if any pics exist of St Bernards, Stockbridge Gymnasium ground, another that vanished without a trace...Ive been down to what is now Scotland Yard play park where the ground was but absolutley nothing is preserved of the former ground ..

Baker9
07-04-2012, 07:28 AM

Welcome to maturity, Dad. Let us know what you think of it.

Nazz
07-04-2012, 08:17 AM
I have just found some interesting comments and photos on this forum thread http://urbanglasgow.co.uk/archive/cathkin-park__o_t__t_440.html

LancashireHibby
07-04-2012, 08:32 AM
Definitely plan on going there some point. I live opposite the old Leigh rugby ground and that has yet to be developed, but unfortunately they demolished all the stands and terracing, although the banking is still there from beneath the terracing.

greenginger
07-04-2012, 08:52 AM
I saw Hibs play at Cathkin Park against Third Lanark just weeks before they closed down for good. I remember it as one of the better grounds, concreted terracing with a decent amount of cover and new main stand with seats right down to ground level rather than the usual standing enclosure .

Home crowd was almost non-existent, only a few hundred Hibbies there but seemed to out-number the Hi Hi's.

I think I understood then, there was no future for local teams in Glasgow because of the Old Firm. Since then the cancer has spread through-out Scotland. Amputation of one of them might be a cure.

The Harp
07-04-2012, 08:57 AM
Good thread for Hibees of a certain vintage. Visited Cathkin several times in the early 60's - we never seemed to get any trouble on our trips there, unlike most of the other Glasgow grounds. Still remember they had a pretty good strike force of Hilley, Harley and Gray from around that time.
Also recall a league game against them early one season, maybe '63, when work was going on at Cathkin and we played them at Hampden in front of around 5,000 fans. Always had a soft spot for the Hi Hi and was sad to see their demise in '67 - their last goal was credited to Drew Busby who hit the skids after that, finishing up at Tynecastle.:wink:
Must make a point of visiting Cathkin again, although no doubt I'll have a tear in my eye - seems to happen a hell of a lot these days ... bloody nostalgia!!!:grr:

DarrenSQH
07-04-2012, 09:10 AM
Isn't cathkin park the last place hibs won the cup as that was Hampden at the time.

The Harp
07-04-2012, 09:19 AM
Isn't cathkin park the last place hibs won the cup as that was Hampden at the time.

No, in 1902 the game was staged at Parkhead.

.Sean.
07-04-2012, 09:29 AM
I'm not sure where the first Scottish Cup win was acheived, though i'm fairly certain 1902 was at Celtic Park.

Bobo
07-04-2012, 09:37 AM

Here's a great wee video about Catkin Park (http://youtu.be/6a47pxDnAwk)for anyone who hasn't seen the place before.

DarrenSQH
07-04-2012, 09:40 AM
I'm not sure where the first Scottish Cup win was acheived, though i'm fairly certain 1902 was at Celtic Park.

The 1887 one was at Hampden against dumbarton. I'm sure someone told me that one of our Scottish cup wins was at cathkin park as that was Hampden at the time.

cabbageandribs1875
07-04-2012, 09:48 AM
The 1887 one was at Hampden against dumbarton. I'm sure someone told me that one of our Scottish cup wins was at cathkin park as that was Hampden at the time.

1887 Scottish Cup Winners Medal
The Hibernian Historical Trust recently acquired a winners medal from the 1886-87 Scottish Cup Final. The medal, one of eighteen cast, was presented to Jerry Reynolds after the 2-1 defeat of Dumbarton at the second Hampden Park (later Cathkin Park) on February 12th 1887. The victory was Hibernian's first in the national competition as well as the first for a team from the East of Scotland.

our most 'recent' win was at celtic park

Keith_M
07-04-2012, 09:49 AM
I used to live round the corner and part of my jogging route was around the park. There are trees growing through about half of the terracing but the pitch is in good nick.

I've seen photos of the place not long before it closed down (I have a book on Third Lanark) and it actually looked quite a decent stadium, about on a par with Firhill before the terracing was replaced with seats.

You can enter the park from Cathcart Road, next to Nutberry Court. If you go that way, you'll see the Thirds badge set into the path just before the new Pavilion. Walk up the back of the terrace and lean on the Crush Barrier and I guarantee you'll get a shiver down your back.

Here's an interesting website (http://www.thirdlanarkac.co.uk/) if you want to know about the Thirds.

p.s. I'm not sure if "Collectors World" is still open but they used to have fantastic mementoes in the way of programs, etc. He might still even have the Third Lanark book, which is well worth buying. It's on Cathcart road, just before the entrance to Sommerville Drive

heretoday
07-04-2012, 11:04 AM
I used to live round the corner and part of my jogging route was around the park. There are trees growing through about half of the terracing but the pitch is in good nick.

I've seen photos of the place not long before it closed down (I have a book on Third Lanark) and it actually looked quite a decent stadium, about on a par with Firhill before the terracing was replaced with seats.

You can enter the park from Cathcart Road, next to Nutberry Court. If you go that way, you'll see the Thirds badge set into the path just before the new Pavilion. Walk up the back of the terrace and lean on the Crush Barrier and I guarantee you'll get a shiver down your back.

Here's an interesting website (http://www.thirdlanarkac.co.uk/) if you want to know about the Thirds.

p.s. I'm not sure if "Collectors World" is still open but they used to have fantastic mementoes in the way of programs, etc. He might still even have the Third Lanark book, which is well worth buying. It's on Cathcart road, just before the entrance to Sommerville Drive

Interesting website. Thank you. I love the pic of the team and officials at the Britvic factory in Chelmsford 1961.

Some of them are holding what look like G and Ts. You wonder why on earth they were all there!

HH81
07-04-2012, 11:07 AM
Definitely plan on going there some point. I live opposite the old Leigh rugby ground and that has yet to be developed, but unfortunately they demolished all the stands and terracing, although the banking is still there from beneath the terracing.

Leigh olds ground was a super ground. Not a fan of their new one.... Be there in few weeks though.

Sas_The_Hibby
07-04-2012, 12:08 PM
LTTLF

:wink::greengrin

cabbageandribs1875
07-04-2012, 12:11 PM

my sis and bro in-law have been down your neck of the woods the last few days :wink:

Paisley Hibby
07-04-2012, 02:12 PM
1887 Scottish Cup Winners Medal
The Hibernian Historical Trust recently acquired a winners medal from the 1886-87 Scottish Cup Final. The medal, one of eighteen cast, was presented to Jerry Reynolds after the 2-1 defeat of Dumbarton at the second Hampden Park (later Cathkin Park) on February 12th 1887. The victory was Hibernian's first in the national competition as well as the first for a team from the East of Scotland.

our most 'recent' win was at celtic park

Thanks for this :aok: I've been to Cathkin Park a few times but didn't know that it's where Hibs won the Scottish Cup for the first time. I'll need to go back!

Dashing Bob S
07-04-2012, 02:19 PM
Thanks for this :aok: I've been to Cathkin Park a few times but didn't know that it's where Hibs won the Scottish Cup for the first time. I'll need to go back!

A terrible tragedy and a run-down monument to all that's wrong with the national game in Scotland. But as I monument to decay, neglect and corruption, it's all rather past its sell-by date and we need a more modern edifice to mourn our game's incompetence and avarice. I suggest Ibrox. Hopefully, future generations will be able to visit a derelict site in Govan and shed crocodile tears about a great footballing, sporting an cultural loss.

Keith_M
07-04-2012, 02:24 PM
A terrible tragedy and a run-down monument to all that's wrong with the national game in Scotland. But as I monument to decay, neglect and corruption, it's all rather past its sell-by date and we need a more modern edifice to mourn our game's incompetence and avarice. I suggest Ibrox. Hopefully, future generations will be able to visit a derelict site in Govan and shed crocodile tears about a great footballing, sporting an cultural loss.

If that tragic day should ever come, what will happen to the long line of Glasgow Entrepreneurs that started their business careers "watchin yir motur fur a fivur, mistur"?

I fear there will be an economic downturn as the requisite business skills will be lost for a generation.

Sad days indeed.

Nakedmanoncrack
07-04-2012, 02:56 PM
Mate lives at Nutberry Court right next to it so been many times. Wasn't aware that the 1887 cup win was there though, will need to check if this is true.

Iggy Pope
07-04-2012, 03:28 PM
I have just found some interesting comments and photos on this forum thread http://urbanglasgow.co.uk/archive/cathkin-park__o_t__t_440.html

Interesting Tiger. Those 'before and after' type snaps show a lot of perspective.

Jonnyboy
07-04-2012, 08:43 PM
Hibs signed one of the best players of the time from Thirds. Joe Davis was a cracking left back who scored loads of penalties for Hibs and was a very popular player both in the dressing room and on the terracing at ER.

Here's his stats http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/player.php?playerid=735

I recall being quite upset when Joe left to join Carlisle

jdships
07-04-2012, 08:57 PM
Played there at least a couple of times in 1950and 51 .
Once in the League and once in Glasgow Charity Cup tie for sure
I know Jocky Robertson was there then and think Ally McLeod and Jimmy Mason played in at least one game
Not the most well set up ground in the country but from memory very friendly people .
I too went back a few years ago , just for a look - all very sad !!

As the song says "Memories are made of this" :greengrin

stu in nottingham
08-04-2012, 10:17 AM
Still remember they had a pretty good strike force of Hilley, Harley and Gray from around that time.

Was that Dave Hilley, P? Inside forward? Remember him playing for Forest around 1967-71. Retired to South Africa after his career.

Nice thread about the Hi Hi's old home. Would love a visit there myself.

Hibby Bairn
08-04-2012, 10:25 AM
Great thread. V interesting. Never knew it was so close to Hampden. 5 mins down the road and practically where the buses normally park.

Shawfield not too far away either.

Also never knew we had never won the SC at Hampden.

Pete
14-04-2012, 10:59 PM

I went there today, done just that and you were 100% correct.

It was even closer than I thought and it was surreal moving from a heaving mob of football fans on the road to this almost deserted piece of footballing history in a matter of minutes. I booted a ball about with the boy on the park and there were a few other people walking around, taking it in and taking photos but not many...and not many with hibs colours on. The only ones I seen were youngsters getting their names taken by the police.

I hope they don't meddle with it in the future. All it needs is a slight tidy up, a bit of respect from the locals and it could be a low maintenance, living snapshot of years gone by for years to come.

Definitely glad I went.

SurferRosa
15-04-2012, 12:14 AM
I went there today, done just that and you were 100% correct.

It was even closer than I thought and it was surreal moving from a heaving mob of football fans on the road to this almost deserted piece of footballing history in a matter of minutes. I booted a ball about with the boy on the park and there were a few other people walking around, taking it in and taking photos but not many...and not many with hibs colours on. The only ones I seen were youngsters getting their names taken by the police.

I hope they don't meddle with it in the future. All it needs is a slight tidy up, a bit of respect from the locals and it could be a low maintenance, living snapshot of years gone by for years to come.

Definitely glad I went.

I nipped up the hill and paid a wee visit aswell. Glad i did.

Standing on that decaying terracing you could almost hear the shouts of the crowd. It was quite a haunting experiance.

BTW, just as i left i noticed someone turn up with a wee boy and a ball.....it was probably yourself...hope yer lad enjoyed his kickabout on the pitch.

Pete
15-04-2012, 12:31 AM
I nipped up the hill and paid a wee visit aswell. Glad i did.

Standing on that decaying terracing you could almost hear the shouts of the crowd. It was quite a haunting experiance.

BTW, just as i left i noticed someone turn up with a wee boy and a ball.....it was probably yourself...hope yer lad enjoyed his kickabout on the pitch.

If the guy had a green hooded top with GAP on the front it was indeed me. It was just a normal kickabout as far as he was concerned but I've taken pictures of him running about on the pitch and the terracing. One day he might look back on these photos and appreciate where he was.

He was that tired after that I had to carry him on my shoulders for a good hour afterwards. Big, wide pitches like that need big lungs!:greengrin

SurferRosa
15-04-2012, 12:55 AM
If the guy had a green hooded top with GAP on the front it was indeed me. It was just a normal kickabout as far as he was concerned but I've taken pictures of him running about on the pitch and the terracing. One day he might look back on these photos and appreciate where he was.

He was that tired after that I had to carry him on my shoulders for a good hour afterwards. Big, wide pitches like that need big lungs!:greengrin

I`m sure that one day it`ll have some meaning. It`s certainly a special place for a football fan.

I might go back next time we`re at Hampden......................wait a minute, that`s next month..:greengrin

GGTTH.:flag:

Part/Time Supporter
15-04-2012, 06:26 AM
Great thread. V interesting. Never knew it was so close to Hampden. 5 mins down the road and practically where the buses normally park.

Shawfield not too far away either.

Also never knew we had never won the SC at Hampden.

Third Hampden (the current site) opened in October 1903. Cathkin was known as (second) Hampden when Hibs won in 1887. As pointed out above, 1902 was at Celtic Park even though Celtic were the opposition. It would have been at Ibrox but the first disaster happened a week or two before during the Scotland v England game.

3pm
15-04-2012, 06:55 AM
Hibs signed one of the best players of the time from Thirds. Joe Davis was a cracking left back who scored loads of penalties for Hibs and was a very popular player both in the dressing room and on the terracing at ER.

Here's his stats http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/player.php?playerid=735

I recall being quite upset when Joe left to join Carlisle

John, that's not specific to football. I'd be quite upset for anyone who moved to Carlisle!