PDA

View Full Version : The Media, SPL and the Old Firm.

Wellbankhibby
06-04-2012, 10:59 AM
The Media and the SPL are forever bending over to the O/F. I think most football minded people know that Rangers will be saved and will be allowed to compete in the SPl. This IMO is completely out of order and very unfair to other teams who have been demoted to the bottom leagues or gone out of business all together. The media are forever going on about how ALL teams will suffer and some SPL teams wont survive if rangers go to the wall. I honestly feel that this is a fantastic opportunity to get some equality within the League whether it is a fairer voting structure or a better share of the money on offer for tv rights ect. On the playing side ANY team could go on to win the League or cups as they are all capable of beating each other. The media argument is Sky wouldnt be interested and it would be difficult to attract sponsers, my argument would be that if there are meaningful games you will get bigger crowds and if you serve up a good product on the field there would be interest for example our high scoring games against Motherwell. I have said before we should expand the league by bringing in between 2 and 4 teams from the first division and get back the Dundee Derby. If Celtic and Rangers stick together and block any vote for change ALL SPL teams should resign and leave both of them to rot on their own. Lets be honest they dont want to be here anyway. ITS TIME FOR REAL CHANGE.:agree:

spike220
06-04-2012, 11:02 AM
The Media and the SPL are forever bending over to the O/F. I think most football minded people know that Rangers will be saved and will be allowed to compete in the SPl. This IMO is completely out of order and very unfair to other teams who have been demoted to the bottom leagues or gone out of business all together. The media are forever going on about how ALL teams will suffer and some SPL teams wont survive if rangers go to the wall. I honestly feel that this is a fantastic opportunity to get some equality within the League whether it is a fairer voting structure or a better share of the money on offer for tv rights ect. On the playing side ANY team could go on to win the League or cups as they are all capable of beating each other. The media argument is Sky wouldnt be interested and it would be difficult to attract sponsers, my argument would be that if there are meaningful games you will get bigger crowds and if you serve up a good product on the field there would be interest for example our high scoring games against Motherwell. I have said before we should expand the league by bringing in between 2 and 4 teams from the first division and get back the Dundee Derby. If Celtic and Rangers stick together and block any vote for change ALL SPL teams should resign and leave both of them to rot on their own. Lets be honest they dont want to be here anyway. ITS TIME FOR REAL CHANGE.:agree:

I agree with the above.

Ozyhibby
06-04-2012, 01:20 PM

Agree 100%
if we don't act this season then we never will

John_the_angus_hibby
06-04-2012, 01:29 PM
Agree 100%
if we don't act this season then we never will

This I totally agree with. 2012 is the year either Scottish football regenerates or finally becomes the Old Firm theme park that the west coast media want. Folk, if the later happens, we only exist to give these cancerous teams oxygen. I for one will not pay the entrance fee for that.

Sent from another universe!

Ozyhibby
06-04-2012, 01:36 PM
Let's hope the ten SPL clubs take their chance or they will run the risk of losing a fair chunk of their support.

...WentToMowAnSPL
06-04-2012, 01:50 PM
#occupySPL:-)

AlbertK86
06-04-2012, 01:54 PM
PLAIN and SIMPLE

They have been cheating the system for years.

Just spend whatever you want and don't pay yer dues. Incredible that they think that ain't cheating

Hope they get suitably punished by SFA and SPL

Cannae see it tho.... They will bottle it !!!!

Killiehibbie
06-04-2012, 03:00 PM
If the courts do their job properly there will be no Rangers.

Finbar
06-04-2012, 03:23 PM
Real change is definitely needed, it's gone beyond a joke. No one else has come close to winning the league now for about 20 years. Media, SPL and OF should be trying to put pressure on UEFA to spread the money generated in the richer leagues around a bit more fairly. The gap between rich and poor is getting wider every season. So ironic that OF were among the clubs that threatened UEFA with a break away European league that lead to the set up of the Champions League, and now they don't have the money to compete in it.

heretoday
06-04-2012, 03:32 PM
It's all about money. And unfortunately, Rangers' existence guarantees a chunk of cash for everyone else, including Hibs.

PeeKay
06-04-2012, 03:46 PM
It's all about money. And unfortunately, Rangers' existence guarantees a chunk of cash for everyone else, including Hibs.

How much exactly is the chunk of cash that Hibs get from the existence of Rangers?

HibsNibs
06-04-2012, 03:47 PM

Not if a large % of the other 11 clubs' fans turn their backs on Scottish football for ever because it's a corrupt sham - which it will be if newco huns are allowed to parachute straight back into the SPL.

...WentToMowAnSPL
06-04-2012, 04:58 PM
Anything we can do to mobilise support with other supporters ?

CMac1988
06-04-2012, 05:07 PM
Anything we can do to mobilise support with other supporters ?

This! It seems that whenever fans try to come together and make a change or try and make our opinions heard we are largely ignored. Maybe a poll on each team's fans forums (SPL, maybe SFL?) on whether or not we would be willing to accept Newco back into the SPL (or something along those lines). This would also includes celtic.

Collect all the stats and present them to the SFA and/or media of some sort. I know us faceless forum dwellers are only a small minority of our team's collective fanbase, but it would be a start.

Would it make a difference? Most likely not but atleast we'll make our feelings understood.

Would something like this work? Again maybe not...

ahibby
06-04-2012, 05:21 PM
If Rangers are put out of the SPL then it would not only punish them but would punish the smaller clubs too. It won't happen but they should start the season with a minus twenty points (won't happen, can't happen) They probably bring in about £60000 minimum to each of the smaller clubs each away game and that can't be ignored. Now should be the time that the clubs insist on equal share of the tv money. You would think that the SPL bending the rules to allow a new Rangers to continue playing in the SPL would be a good time for the others to negotiate new tv money shares. I don't see a good reason why a new Rangers should expect to walk in to the same tv money deal as the old Rangers. If they are allowed to stay in the SPL with exactly the same tv deal as the old Rangers that would P*** me off more.

Sunny1875
06-04-2012, 05:22 PM
This I totally agree with. 2012 is the year either Scottish football regenerates or finally becomes the Old Firm theme park that the west coast media want. Folk, if the later happens, we only exist to give these cancerous teams oxygen. I for one will not pay the entrance fee for that.

Agree 100%

NAE NOOKIE
06-04-2012, 05:34 PM
Probably the most depressing thing about this whole saga is the fact that not one journalist appears to have had the guts to stick his or her head above the parapet in support of change in our game.

The TV news and the papers have concentrated entirely on the situation at rangers, with any mention of the so called rebel 10 being restricted to the inane and perochial ramblings of Walter Smith or Peter Llawell.

The media are so obsessed with pandering to the old firm and its supporters that they appear to be totally blind to the fact that the thousands of people who dont support the ugly sisters are on the point of revolt.

All I can say is that they do so at their peril.

basehibby
06-04-2012, 05:38 PM
If Rangers are put out of the SPL then it would not only punish them but would punish the smaller clubs too. It won't happen but they should start the season with a minus twenty points (won't happen, can't happen) They probably bring in about £60000 minimum to each of the smaller clubs each away game and that can't be ignored. Now should be the time that the clubs insist on equal share of the tv money. You would think that the SPL bending the rules to allow a new Rangers to continue playing in the SPL would be a good time for the others to negotiate new tv money shares. I don't see a good reason why a new Rangers should expect to walk in to the same tv money deal as the old Rangers. If they are allowed to stay in the SPL with exactly the same tv deal as the old Rangers that would P*** me off more.

It would NOT be a punishment for the smaller clubs in the third, second and first divisions if Rangers were made to work their way back up as they would have to in any league with a shred of sporting integrity (in the event of their liquidation of course).

I would also view it as an interesting experiment or dry run even, to see what would happen in the top tier in Scotland if Rangers bugger off to England as they are always so desperate to do.

Certainly it is obvious that Rangers (and Celtic for that matter) do not give a flying fig for Scottish football - so why they should be offered a shred of sympathy by the SFA/SPL/other clubs in Scotland is beyond me.

The West cost media have demonstrated perfectly how they live in the pockets of the old firm by their total failure to acknowledge any of the positive effects that would ensue from a Rangers-new-co start from the bottom scenario as a balance to the obvious short term financial penalties (to the SPL ONLY). They have signally failed to show any objectivity and should hang their heads in shame as they are a disgrace to their profession.

greenginger
06-04-2012, 05:53 PM
Our Club could start by telling us how much extra it costs for Police and stewards etc at an old firm game compared to extra take on ticket sales.

I doubt there is much advantage, certainly not compared to the fans they have driven from the game.

woody47
06-04-2012, 06:10 PM
All these scaremongers with the headlines that we cannot survive without the disease that is Rankers, can someone please give me actual facts against probables.
I agree they bring a large support to away games BUT how many times have Hibs, Aberdeen, Hearts filled away ends at other grounds when they are winning? As everyone knows when your team is winning the supporters start coming back. This would obviously be the case if they dumped one half of Scotland's disgrace as we would then have at least three teams challenging for the league with substantial support.
With regards to sponsorship, if they leave we then go back to saturday 3pm kick offs and I would imagine that would also increase suuport as the stay at home/pub fans woudl then either have to go to the game or watch highlights.

neilmartinrocks
06-04-2012, 07:00 PM

Would it not be benificial to the smaller clubs in the 3rd, 2nd and 1st divisions?
Think of all the money that they would rake in hosting them (after the increased policing costs, stewarding and cleaning up after them)

PatHead
06-04-2012, 07:11 PM

Last Rangers game at East End attracted 7464, last Hibs game 6780. Not too much of a difference.

yeezus.
06-04-2012, 07:23 PM
I'm also sick of Sky Sports referring to the old firm alone as "Scottish football".

EuanH78
06-04-2012, 07:32 PM
Probably the most depressing thing about this whole saga is the fact that not one journalist appears to have had the guts to stick his or her head above the parapet in support of change in our game.

The TV news and the papers have concentrated entirely on the situation at rangers, with any mention of the so called rebel 10 being restricted to the inane and perochial ramblings of Walter Smith or Peter Llawell.

The media are so obsessed with pandering to the old firm and its supporters that they appear to be totally blind to the fact that the thousands of people who dont support the ugly sisters are on the point of revolt.

All I can say is that they do so at their peril.

Alex Thomson? :dunno:

stoneyburn hibs
06-04-2012, 07:35 PM
Nothing will change regarding this unless every fan of every other team gets together and makes a noise about it , that wont happen because its the scottish way , same again next season and so forth.

...WentToMowAnSPL
06-04-2012, 08:24 PM
Let's do something about it... Mikey lead the way :-) what are other club forums saying about this ???

greenginger
06-04-2012, 08:39 PM
Let's do something about it... Mikey lead the way :-) what are other club forums saying about this ???

Aberdeen supporters had a poll on their site. Seems 78% will quit if the Huns get straight back into the SPL :confused:

www.afc-chat.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=29435&st=0

...WentToMowAnSPL
06-04-2012, 08:46 PM
That's a bit life of Brian - the crack sheep suicide squad :-)

NAE NOOKIE
06-04-2012, 09:02 PM
Alex Thomson? :dunno:

Not familiar with his / her work.

Though I have to admit that my post was a presumtion in part as I dont read every paper.

PatHead
06-04-2012, 09:05 PM
Not familiar with his / her work.

Though I have to admit that my post was a presumtion in part as I dont read every paper.

Channel 4 journalist who was physically threatened by a member of the Scottish lamb club. You can read his blog on C4

EuanH78
06-04-2012, 10:27 PM
Channel 4 journalist who was physically threatened by a member of the Scottish lamb club. You can read his blog on C4

Indeed, Channel 4's chief news correspondent has been doing a bit of digging into Scottish Football. I wrote him an email not long ago. From his response I'm hopeful that his investiations will be continuing.

Sylar
07-04-2012, 08:23 AM
It really makes you wonder why the BBC bothered pouring money or effort into the "State of our Game" thing they ran.

"Change is needed", "things need to improve", "we need to look at X, Y and Z" - but when faced with the potentiality and posturing of change, they start to get really twitchy in the halls of power at Hampden and begin to ask the majority to accept the status quo "for the good of the game". There is no good in our game right now and unless you went on national TV and put on a fascade loaded with bare-arsed lies, you realise this (apparently).

The only way to improve Scottish Football is to eradicate the blazer brigade - the likes of Regan, Doncaster, Topping et al are a cancer to the progress of Scottish Football and exist to appease the likes of Lawell, who would be more than content to watch his team Lord it over the rest of Scottish Football for the next 10 years, uncontested.

Not one media outlet has challenged the attitude of those who want the status quo, which to be honest, is stupid on two counts: 1) Celtic aren't interested in the status quo, so it's hypocritical for Lawell to try and enforce the current setup, when his team whore themselves to England on an annual basis. They want to get out of the SPL so they can "develop" into one of Europe's top clubs rather than being stagnated by Scottish Football, yet as soon as there's any threat to their big fish syndrome and potential revenue, they decry the majority who want to see change and bleat on about "the good of Scottish Football". Hypocritical, cancerous, egotistical, self absorbed arse-wart of a club. Don't get me wrong, I understand their stance from a business point of view, but this is supposed to a level-field, competitive football league - that can't happen under a Nazi-style dictat regime, which this 11-1 nonsense is!

And then there's the chairman from some of the other 10, the Geoff Browns and Michael Johnstons of this world, who claim the same thing as Celtic - our clubs/league cannot prosper without the Old Firm - it's been repeated by the boardrooms at Ibrox and Parkhead ad nauseum and these guys (along with a few others) have bought into it, hook, line and sinker. Not once has anyone described the actions of Rangers or Celtic and all their talk of Atlantic Leagues, EPL as fractuous/rebellious/divisive.

2) The sheer unwillingness of the media to try and cover "our" angle just shows to the extent they're out to pander to the Glasgow two and the Glasgow Football Association. We (the other 40 professional football clubs in Scotland) are only here to service the existence of Rangers and Celtic as our "European hopes" and as such, we should just sit back, shut up and count our blessings that we get to watch these clubs ply their trade in our wee league.

Time to grow a pair "rebels". Time to hand in the resignations, make plans for self sufficiency and stick two fingers up to the Old Firm and their Hampden associates.

H18sry
07-04-2012, 08:53 AM
It really makes you wonder why the BBC bothered pouring money or effort into the "State of our Game" thing they ran.

"Change is needed", "things need to improve", "we need to look at X, Y and Z" - but when faced with the potentiality and posturing of change, they start to get really twitchy in the halls of power at Hampden and begin to ask the majority to accept the status quo "for the good of the game". There is no good in our game right now and unless you went on national TV and put on a fascade loaded with bare-arsed lies, you realise this (apparently).

The only way to improve Scottish Football is to eradicate the blazer brigade - the likes of Regan, Doncaster, Topping et al are a cancer to the progress of Scottish Football and exist to appease the likes of Lawell, who would be more than content to watch his team Lord it over the rest of Scottish Football for the next 10 years, uncontested.

Not one media outlet has challenged the attitude of those who want the status quo, which to be honest, is stupid on two counts: 1) Celtic aren't interested in the status quo, so it's hypocritical for Lawell to try and enforce the current setup, when his team whore themselves to England on an annual basis. They want to get out of the SPL so they can "develop" into one of Europe's top clubs rather than being stagnated by Scottish Football, yet as soon as there's any threat to their big fish syndrome and potential revenue, they decry the majority who want to see change and bleat on about "the good of Scottish Football". Hypocritical, cancerous, egotistical, self absorbed arse-wart of a club. Don't get me wrong, I understand their stance from a business point of view, but this is supposed to a level-field, competitive football league - that can't happen under a Nazi-style dictat regime, which this 11-1 nonsense is!

And then there's the chairman from some of the other 10, the Geoff Browns and Michael Johnstons of this world, who claim the same thing as Celtic - our clubs/league cannot prosper without the Old Firm - it's been repeated by the boardrooms at Ibrox and Parkhead ad nauseum and these guys (along with a few others) have bought into it, hook, line and sinker. Not once has anyone described the actions of Rangers or Celtic and all their talk of Atlantic Leagues, EPL as fractuous/rebellious/divisive.

2) The sheer unwillingness of the media to try and cover "our" angle just shows to the extent they're out to pander to the Glasgow two and the Glasgow Football Association. We (the other 40 professional football clubs in Scotland) are only here to service the existence of Rangers and Celtic as our "European hopes" and as such, we should just sit back, shut up and count our blessings that we get to watch these clubs ply their trade in our wee league.

Time to grow a pair "rebels". Time to hand in the resignations, make plans for self sufficiency and stick two fingers up to the Old Firm and their Hampden associates.
:top marks

cad
07-04-2012, 09:09 AM

:top marksExcellent post dont keep posting it tho ,some are of a mind if your not happy why come on here and constantly moan about it .
I suppose you could just walk away and say nothing ,or you could give your opinion however many times to give reasons as to what will get you back through the turnstiles , buying a season ticket is most peoples choice , its a cause for some supporting their club , but when supporting your club within a regime as corrupt as we have and have had for years are given the chance to change our lot I think everybody should say there piece as often as they wish .

GGTTH

John_the_angus_hibby
07-04-2012, 09:31 AM

Excellent post and summary. I've been saying it, in 2012 we either get a football league or the Old Firm theme park.

Dan Sarf
07-04-2012, 10:07 AM
There are interesting parallels with Formula One.

Sauber team CEO Monisha Kaltenborn: "Well, I think the question is not about how long we can survive, but how much longer it will take for the big teams to understand that the smaller teams are just as important to Formula One as the four big ones. If the situation of the smaller teams is not good - and I would go so far as saying that we are all in a similar situation compared to the big four - then this is not good for the sport. The challenge is to create parameters which will allow all teams that are here today to run sustainably, to stay in the sport and to have the ability to use whatever assets they have to compete at more or less a similar level."

They've already agreed something called a Resource Restriction Agreement (RRA)...

"...I think by now even the big teams should appreciate that Formula One with four teams would not be overwhelmingly attractive to fans. That would be a very wrong message. So my hope - and I have to say that most of them have already supported the RRA and have now signalled that they would give their support to taking the next step - is that something is happening very soon."

Maybe we can learn something from them?

The whole interview is here...

http://www.formula1.com/news/interviews/2012/4/13184.html

NAE NOOKIE
07-04-2012, 10:28 AM

I want Scottish football to thrive with the OF in it.

But if thats not possible ................ What he said :top marks

Sunny1875
07-04-2012, 03:09 PM
Canny believe folk voting yes http://www.afc-chat.co.uk/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/banghead.gif

Would you guys (for example) enter a pool competition where everyone had to use 4ft lengths of 2" X 4" (un sanded) except for two of the players that were allowed to use their own cues?

Just beggars belief http://www.afc-chat.co.uk/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/Suicide.gif

Taken from the Aberdeen forum vote would you still follow or not if huns straight back in to spl

Chuck Rhoades
07-04-2012, 06:19 PM
***** the SFA/SPL and our corrupt game that is controlled by TV stations.

TV killed the football fan.

http://i41.tinypic.com/jp8ugj.jpg

linlithgowhibbie
07-04-2012, 06:33 PM

How about starting tomorrow in the TV game. We all start singing something along the lines of

"Chuck the Rangers,

Chuck the Rangers,

Chuck the Rangers out the League,

Chuck the Rangers out the league"

To the "We'll support you evermore tune.

Follow it up at Hampden with the Dons joining in,,, How good would that be!!!!!!!