PDA

View Full Version : The Rebel Two...

Hibs Class
03-04-2012, 09:22 PM
seem able to manipulate Ralph Topping at will:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17604881

This man is a clown and his position is completely untenable.

Paisley Hibby
03-04-2012, 09:26 PM

Agree with you. Who are the 3 club chairmen who have criticised his letter? I hope ours is one of them! If not, why not?

Westie1875
03-04-2012, 09:28 PM

Might I suggest that the reason the potential sponsors have pulled out is much more likely down to the situation Rangers currently find themselves in. That man needs to be sacked, seems like he is attempting to blackmail the 10 clubs into backing down with financial threats over sponsorship deals. The three SPL chairmen (hopefully one is RP) are spot on with their complaints about this.

hfc rd
03-04-2012, 09:31 PM
This guy has been a clown for a very long time. By the looks of it, it seems that he only cares about tv broadcast rather than what the fans want and that is a level playing field. I just hope the ten non ugly sister clubs just ignore this fuds demands and keep issuing ultimatums until changes are made.

nonshinyfinish
03-04-2012, 09:33 PM
"On the commercial front, I am aware of two companies who were strongly attracted to the idea of sponsoring the SPL when Clydesdale Bank's tenure comes to an end in summer 2013," he said.
"Both companies were viewed as serious potential bidders for the title rights.
"Unfortunately, both companies have now decided to withdraw their interest in the light of recent developments in the SPL.
"It will not have escaped your notice that Sky and ESPN have so far failed to return draft contracts sent to them in 2011.
"I have spoken to one of our live broadcast partners who is concerned about current uncertainties with Rangers and who at the time of our conversation was anxious to learn more about recent talk of clubs resigning en masse from the SPL.

If your TV deal is contingent on Rangers being in the SPL, you can get to f***. We'll get another TV deal - it might not be as much money, but it won't involve acquiescing to the servile media's demands that Rangers stroll back into the league

If your sponsorship of the SPL is contingent on Rangers being in the SPL, you can get to f***. We'll find another sponsor...see above.

While we're at it, Ralph Topping can get to f***.

Saorsa
03-04-2012, 09:34 PM

This man is a clown and his position is completely untenable.:top marks

If your TV deal is contingent on Rangers being in the SPL, you can get to f***. We'll get another TV deal - it might not be as much money, but it won't involve acquiescing to the servile media's demands that Rangers stroll back into the league

If your sponsorship of the SPL is contingent on Rangers being in the SPL, you can get to f***. We'll find another sponsor...see above.

While we're at it, Ralph Topping can get to f***. :top marks :applause:

The people that run fitba in this country are a ****in' disgrace :bitchy:

Paisley Hibby
03-04-2012, 09:37 PM

While we're at it, Ralph Topping can get to f***.[/FONT][/COLOR]

:top marks

matty_f
03-04-2012, 09:40 PM
Might I suggest that the reason the potential sponsors have pulled out is much more likely down to the situation Rangers currently find themselves in. That man needs to be sacked, seems like he is attempting to blackmail the 10 clubs into backing down with financial threats over sponsorship deals. The three SPL chairmen (hopefully one is RP) are spot on with their complaints about this.

Yep, no reference at all as to how going into administration, not paying any tazes for a while, cheating by not disclosing contracts, and damaging the reputation of the SPL by consistently singing sectarian songs, is damaging the SPL.

GTF Topping, ya welt!:rolleyes:

down-the-slope
03-04-2012, 09:43 PM
just about to post article..raging...I hope its more than 3 chairmen who are upset at this....they acn go and stuff themselves...

If they OF got any encouragement from England does antone seriously think they would even look over their shoulder as they rushed off....

SKY want 4 OF games do they....see the viewing figures for them playing each other 44 games then...WE DONT need them...we can just resize / cut our cloth accordingly and see vreal competition return

lyonhibs
03-04-2012, 09:47 PM

I agree entirely, but has anyone - the "Other 10" chairmen, the SPL, whoever - actually canvassed around to see what the appeal of a OF-free SPL would/would not attract in terms of a sponsor/TV deal?

Scottish football is a pretty gash product as it is, and I'm perfectly happy to see the whole league get less money through a SKY/ESPN deal, have to cut their cloth and rely more on Scottish youth, but we'd be kidding ourselves if we didn't accept that whatever format any reworked league does/does not take, we'll need a sponsor for it and a TV deal of sorts.

Eyrie
03-04-2012, 09:50 PM
Topping is telling ten clubs to withdraw their resolution because it upsets the other two.

Further proof that the voting system is broken and needs fixed.

hibee92
03-04-2012, 09:51 PM
Bad publicity from the other 10?! How can he have the f'ing AUDACITY?!

Let's look at the other 'saint-like' two shall we?

Rangers - Cheating to the point of possible extinction
Celtic - Whoring themselves to the English leagues

Great publicity that is.

What an absolute clown.

cabbageandribs1875
03-04-2012, 09:53 PM
i want some random gypsy woman to put a curse on any chairman that bends over for the old squirm

p.s. go and f*&%**n top-off topping, you twit

nonshinyfinish
03-04-2012, 09:53 PM
I agree entirely, but has anyone - the "Other 10" chairmen, the SPL, whoever - actually canvassed around to see what the appeal of a OF-free SPL would/would not attract in terms of a sponsor/TV deal?

Scottish football is a pretty gash product as it is, and I'm perfectly happy to see the whole league get less money through a SKY/ESPN deal, have to cut their cloth and rely more on Scottish youth, but we'd be kidding ourselves if we didn't accept that whatever format any reworked league does/does not take, we'll need a sponsor for it and a TV deal of sorts.

That's my point, better a crap TV deal and a crap sponsor than giving up the remaining vestiges of fair play.

Diclonius
03-04-2012, 09:57 PM
GTF Topping. Hibs fan my arse.

matty_f
03-04-2012, 09:59 PM

Great publicity that is.

What an absolute clown.

Let's not forget Celtc's role in us having to source referees from other countries not so long ago.

The OF are continually disgracing Scottish football, where's Topping the rest of the time?!:rolleyes:

givescotlandfreedom
03-04-2012, 10:00 PM
i want some random gypsy woman to put a curse on any chairman that bends over for the old squirm

p.s. go and f*&%**n top-off topping, you twit

Does Rima still have the golden stick? Or is this more pyjama man's territory?

Billy Whizz
03-04-2012, 10:02 PM
Let's not forget Celtc's role in us having to source referees from other countries not so long ago.

The OF are continually disgracing Scottish football, where's Topping the rest of the time?!:rolleyes:

Good point I forgot about this!
I remember we had a Maltese referee for our game against St Johnstone

cabbageandribs1875
03-04-2012, 10:05 PM

her name did spring to mind :wink:, is she a bonafide gypsy though ? ;)

down the slope
03-04-2012, 10:07 PM
Everyone who thinks this is cobblers should e mail the SPL with their thoughts, an utter disgrace .

Westie1875
03-04-2012, 10:09 PM

:tee hee:

hibee92
03-04-2012, 10:11 PM

Christ I actually forgot about that. The way the SFA sugar coated the referee strike was deplorable.

Let's not forget Rangers' behaviour in Manchester and generally everywhere.

Bad publicity indeed, how shocking of us.

Jonnyboy
03-04-2012, 10:15 PM
Topping is telling ten clubs to withdraw their resolution because it upsets the other two.

Further proof that the voting system is broken and needs fixed.

He's the Chairman of the SPL. Who appointed him? The SPL clubs and they should sack the ******. Sadly they'd need an 11-1 vote to do it

snooky
03-04-2012, 11:01 PM
This is the equivalent of Charlton Heston blaming manufacturer of long coats for the Columbine Massacre.
He said that the long coats enabled the murderers to hide their guns.

Topping's just about topped that one. :idiot:

Scottish Football Execs = Muppets R Us :clown::clown::clown:.....

TheEastTerrace
04-04-2012, 08:42 AM
I read this just before 'lights out' last night - honestly filled me with complete rage.

Scottish football, and sport, for that matter is littered with these imbiciles.

Saorsa
04-04-2012, 08:45 AM
I read this just before 'lights out' last night - honestly filled me with complete rage.

Scottish football, and sport, for that matter is littered with these imbiciles.:agree: An absolute disgrace. :grr: Fit tae be the chairman of the SPL? just another OF mouthpiece :bitchy:

MacBean
04-04-2012, 09:09 AM
So... lets have a look at how the 12 clubs in the SPL have damaged the reputation of our league:

Aberdeen -
being p*sh.
Guilty of wanting change.
Sheep Sh@**ing

Celtic-
Sectarian singing and chanting
Moaning so much that the referees strike
Fines for banners
Manager constantly being "probed" by SFA
Under acheiving in Europe
Always playing the victim
Whoring themselves to England
Having the SFA/SPL by the baws

Dundee Utd -
Being p*sh
Teckle-welt

Dunfermline -
Being p*sh
Signing Jim Jeffries

Hearts -
Being p*sh
Lay payment of wages - Several times
Player placed on Sex offenders register
'The Mafia' statements etc...
Tax demands
Winding up orders
Being Hearts

Hibernian -
Being p*sh
Casuals

ICT -
Being p*sh

Kilmarnock
Being p*sh
Making everyone fat with their cracking pies.

Motherwell
Being p*sh
Administration x 2

Rangers
Administration - possible (likely) Liquiditation - As a result endless coverage in newspapers, both front and back pages
Fans fighting abroad (e.g. Manchester)
Cheating to win titles and cups (by buying players they could NEVER afford)
Tax demands
Dodgy (and that's being nice) buyout from Mr Whyte.

St Johnstone
Being p*sh

St Mirren
Being p*sh
Controversial takeover bid.

Feel free to add to this list and ill edit it as i go along. Once its packed I'll fire it off to the SFA/SPL

KeithTheHibby
04-04-2012, 09:11 AM
Agree with you. Who are the 3 club chairmen who have criticised his letter? I hope ours is one of them! If not, why not?

I fully expect our Rod to be one of them. Perhaps Steven Thomson from Dundee United as well?

Barney McGrew
04-04-2012, 09:15 AM
Topper should maybe remember that there's only two clubs in the SPL that have brought shame on it by behaviour by their fans that's led to the european governing body seeing fit to fine them for it.

I think he'll find that is more 'damaging'.

calmac12000
04-04-2012, 09:19 AM
This reveals the total moral vacuity of the current rulers of Scottish Football: people who view the entire raison d'etre of the SPL in terms of its attractiveness to sponsors. Its clear to me, that for football to survive in this country radical changes are called for. This will necessarily involve significant pain, at first. However anyone who maintains that the status quo can continue is guilty of self delusion.

Caversham Green
04-04-2012, 09:24 AM
Ralph Topping has shown that he is not fit to head a democratic organisation and those e-mailing the SPL should be calling for his resignation. The problem is that the disease lies much deeper that Topping. I doubt whether he is acting alone with this communication and this and other recent events indicate to me that the SPL itself is not fit for purpose. The voting structure is illogical and oppressive, the administration is incompetent and the sporting integrity of the competition itself has been destroyed by the league's most powerful member.

If wide-ranging changes are not made as a result of Rangers FC's insolvency the SPL will lose what little credibility it has and football will no longer be of any relevance in Scotland. Rip it up and start again.

grunt
04-04-2012, 09:45 AM
Ralph Topping has shown that he is not fit to head a democratic organisation and those e-mailing the SPL should be calling for his resignation. The problem is that the disease lies much deeper that Topping. I doubt whether he is acting alone with this communication and this and other recent events indicate to me that the SPL itself is not fit for purpose. The voting structure is illogical and oppressive, the administration is incompetent and the sporting integrity of the competition itself has been destroyed by the league's most powerful member.

If wide-ranging changes are not made as a result of Rangers FC's insolvency the SPL will lose what little credibility it has and football will no longer be of any relevance in Scotland. Rip it up and start again.Agreed, especially the bits in bold. I guess the answer is that the SPL is not a democratic organisation - some animals are clearly more equal than others. I took Jim Spence to task last night, asking him how 10 out of a group of 12 could be called "rebels". I didn't get an answer.

StevieC
04-04-2012, 09:54 AM
St Johnstone
Being p*sh

Feel free to add to this list and ill edit it as i go along. Once its packed I'll fire it off to the SFA/SPL

Blocking roads with tractors on match days?

:wink:

Seriously though, this guy should be emptied on the basis of this letter. It's nothing more than pampering to the OF and to try and blame the 10 for wanting change, instead of the OF for their destructive behaviour and uncertainty of OF participation in future seasons, is beyond belief!

blackpoolhibs
04-04-2012, 10:11 AM

The mans an erse, and talking pish. Why would two sponsors walk away because 10 clubs want a better voting system. He's a liar, and on the old firm payroll.

GreenCastle
04-04-2012, 10:42 AM
So... lets have a look at how the 12 clubs in the SPL have damaged the reputation of our league:

Aberdeen -
being p*sh.
Sheep Sh@**ing

Celtic-
Moaning so much that the referees strike
Fines for banners
Manager constantly being "probed" by SFA
Always playing the victim

Dundee Utd -
Being p*sh
Teckle-welt

Dunfermline -
Being p*sh
Signing Jim Jeffries

Hearts -
Being p*sh
Lay payment of wages - Several times
Player placed on Sex offenders register
'The Mafia' statements etc...
Tax demands
Winding up orders
Being Hearts

Hibernian -
Being p*sh
Casuals

ICT -
Being p*sh

Kilmarnock
Being p*sh
Making everyone fat with their cracking pies.

Motherwell
Being p*sh
Administration x 2

Rangers
Administration - possible (likely) Liquiditation - As a result endless coverage in newspapers, both front and back pages
Fans fighting abroad (e.g. Manchester)
Cheating to win titles and cups (by buying players they could NEVER afford)
Tax demands
Dodgy (and that's being nice) buyout from Mr Whyte.

St Johnstone
Being p*sh

St Mirren
Being p*sh
Controversial takeover bid.

These issues above are the simple reasons why sponsors have probably pulled out - to blame it on anything else is farcical!

ancienthibby
04-04-2012, 10:57 AM
The mans an erse, and talking pish. Why would two sponsors walk away because 10 clubs want a better voting system. He's a liar, and on the old firm payroll.

This is how it makes sense now - he's chairman of William Hill - SFA sponsors!!

That just stinks the place out!

http://www.ralphtopping.com/about-me/

Pretty Boy
04-04-2012, 11:00 AM
I have no idea how Scottish football would cope without TV deals and big sponsorship. I'm also aware how much most teams rely on the big crowd the OF bring through 3 or 4 times a season.

However this constant pish, the bleating about how its everybody's fault but theirs, the condescending nonsense and the belief that if we just trust the SPL, the OF, sky and ESPN then everything will be ok just doesn't wash with me.

If the OF go or the TV deal is renogotiated in such a way that we lose money then so be it frankly. If it means an increased.reliance on youngsters then fine, that benefits the national team. If we end up a backwater like Ireland or Wales then fine, most teams don't have that many fans left to.lose anyway and we're already closer to these leagues than the EPL anyway.

Sammy7nil
04-04-2012, 11:28 AM
FITBA Folk ken whit's gaun on :wink:

Gatecrasher
04-04-2012, 11:38 AM
If he keeps coming out with stuff like this its only getting folks back up more. I feel he is underestimating the feeling of the non Old firm fans as it just may give the out of touch Topping and Doncaster the boot thats needed. Something has to break here and i hope to god its not the terrific 10 (:wink:) fighting against the minority of the OF. Topping, Doncaster can stick their TV deals where the sun dont shine. Its time for the Majority of clubs to save Scottish Football Pandering to the OF, Doncaster and Topping isn't going to do that.

proud_and_green
04-04-2012, 11:40 AM
Good point I forgot about this!
I remember we had a Maltese referee for our game against St Johnstone

One of the better refs we've had as i recall!

1two
04-04-2012, 11:43 AM
Is this guy a hibs fan?

Saorsa
04-04-2012, 11:45 AM
One of the better refs we've had as i recall!That's no hard when you consider the garbage we have here. He got most of it right, was there when he needed tae and didnae try tae make himself the star of the show like the incompetent attention seeking clowns we get here week in, week out.

Mili Tant
04-04-2012, 11:46 AM
Agree with most comments on the thread. To be honest Scottish football is on its knees and in the main its due to TV, Sponsorship deals etc that have left us looking tiny in comparison to our wealthy neighbours in the premiership. However, we're kdding ourselves on if we think the "rebel 10" will stick to their guns in the face of economic threats from the ugly sisters / SPL /SFA. Fan power is what is required to effect serious change within the Scottish game. We are sitting back whilst the auld infirm seek pastures new and please don't rule it out. There is still a lot of money, particularly at Parkhead, which can do a lot of talking with Sky and others. The sooner the better for me but why should we sit around and wait for it to happen. Fans from the 10 clubs and others in the lower leagues need to come together to demand change and fairness. I look forward to some of the more IT literate contributors to get the ball rolling and I would certainly be up for being involved.

Seveno
04-04-2012, 12:19 PM

Great publicity that is.

What an absolute clown.

Seveno
04-04-2012, 12:27 PM
Agree with most comments on the thread. To be honest Scottish football is on its knees and in the main its due to TV, Sponsorship deals etc that have left us looking tiny in comparison to our wealthy neighbours in the premiership. However, we're kdding ourselves on if we think the "rebel 10" will stick to their guns in the face of economic threats from the ugly sisters / SPL /SFA. Fan power is what is required to effect serious change within the Scottish game. We are sitting back whilst the auld infirm seek pastures new and please don't rule it out. There is still a lot of money, particularly at Parkhead, which can do a lot of talking with Sky and others. The sooner the better for me but why should we sit around and wait for it to happen. Fans from the 10 clubs and others in the lower leagues need to come together to demand change and fairness. I look forward to some of the more IT literate contributors to get the ball rolling and I would certainly be up for being involved.

It needs the likes of Hibs.net and other fans sites to organise cards to hand out to fans at the matches saying something like 'We want change'. A physical demonstration by the people that pay the money and make the effort to go to matches will have the biggest impact.

I for one would contribute to both the cost and the demonstration.

Wellbankhibby
04-04-2012, 12:55 PM
I heard a while ago that there was a threat that all other 10 teams could resign from the SPL and let the OF rot on their own. I would like to think that all 10 teams should carry this threat through. Football is at a crossroads just now and this would be the ideal opportunity to start again. I know that there would be financial implications but it would be brilliant for the other 10 clubs and perhaps add six clubs from the first division. We should also reintroduce the reserve league in order that we can bring through the young lads. Your thoughts

DC_Hibs
04-04-2012, 01:02 PM
If he keeps coming out with stuff like this its only getting folks back up more. I feel he is underestimating the feeling of the non Old firm fans

What are the various fan groups doing? There's never been a better time for them to get together and put pressure on each one of their own clubs and the SFA and SPL. Instead we only seem to have individuals venting their fury on their keyboards on various fans messageboards.

Most of the decision makers at clubs will own a stake in that club and obviously do not want to see it devalued. This means HunDog New Co. will get back in and they will continue to bend over and take it from the TV Companies. Sad but true.

dangermouse
04-04-2012, 01:08 PM
It needs the likes of Hibs.net and other fans sites to organise cards to hand out to fans at the matches saying something like 'We want change'. A physical demonstration by the people that pay the money and make the effort to go to matches will have the biggest impact.

I for one would contribute to both the cost and the demonstration.

I'm wondering if the admins that run this site have any contact with admins from other teams sites? If they do, could something be set up over these sites to push for change within the SPL?

linlithgowhibbie
04-04-2012, 01:51 PM
Every clubs fans should be singing something like this , to the we'll support you evermore tune.

Chuck the Rangers,
Chuck the Rangers,
Chuck the Rangers out the league,

We're on TV a couple of times soon, would let everyone know how we as fans feel.:pfgwa

ancient hibee
04-04-2012, 05:27 PM
This is how it makes sense now - he's chairman of William Hill - SFA sponsors!!

That just stinks the place out!

http://www.ralphtopping.com/about-me/

Thanks for posting that link-I've used it to send Mr.Toppping a message.

Hibercelona
04-04-2012, 05:42 PM
The arrogance of these fuds in the media is unreal.

They talk about how lack of money will destroy the game, completely oblivious to the fact that the chicken feed the other 10 clubs get is totally pointless seeing as they have nothing worth aiming for each season anyway.

Hibercelona
04-04-2012, 05:47 PM
Every clubs fans should be singing something like this , to the we'll support you evermore tune.

Chuck the Rangers,
Chuck the Rangers,

We're on TV a couple of times soon, would let everyone know how we as fans feel.:pfgwa

Fans of each club need to start piecing together some extremely large banners that the cameras can't ignore. "We don't need or want the OF in our league".

We don't do enough to show our hatred towards them.

Eyrie
04-04-2012, 07:48 PM
I heard a while ago that there was a threat that all other 10 teams could resign from the SPL and let the OF rot on their own. I would like to think that all 10 teams should carry this threat through. Football is at a crossroads just now and this would be the ideal opportunity to start again. I know that there would be financial implications but it would be brilliant for the other 10 clubs and perhaps add six clubs from the first division. We should also reintroduce the reserve league in order that we can bring through the young lads. Your thoughts

I think it was Yorkston who came out with that a week or so back, and I for one would wholeheartedly support it. I just doubt that there is the solidarity amongst the 10 football clubs to stand together and make the mass resignation that is required. Mind you, with a two year notice period there would be plenty of time for the Ugly Sisters to accept a more democratic voting system and fairer split of the TV money. If not, then Sky will be delighted with the new two team SPL featuring 36 bigoted hate-fests every season.

Not in favour of a 16 team league (might as well make it 20) and don't think that clubs could afford a reserve team. I'd rather see an u20 league with 2 overage players allowed on the pitch at any one time and two others in the squad.

Iggy Pope
04-04-2012, 07:58 PM

While Petrie has his critics, he is consistently outspoken about this. Losing the Reserve League has stifled growth, maybe nowhere moreso than at Hibs.

Onion
04-04-2012, 08:00 PM

:agree:That guy's out of job as soon as the new voting structure goes through.

Onion
04-04-2012, 08:04 PM
I think it was Yorkston who came out with that a week or so back, and I for one would wholeheartedly support it. I just doubt that there is the solidarity amongst the 10 football clubs to stand together and make the mass resignation that is required. Mind you, with a two year notice period there would be plenty of time for the Ugly Sisters to accept a more democratic voting system and fairer split of the TV money. If not, then Sky will be delighted with the new two team SPL featuring 36 bigoted hate-fests every season.

Not in favour of a 16 team league (might as well make it 20) and don't think that clubs could afford a reserve team. I'd rather see an u20 league with 2 overage players allowed on the pitch at any one time and two others in the squad.

This is the bit I've never fully understood. If you have an SPL of 12 teams and 10 resign, how can the 2 remaining teams demand a two year notice period ?? What's to stop the 10 starting up a brand new football authority (call it Scottish Fitbaw), inviting other clubs to join them and starting up a brand new league system in Scotland ?? Suspect it must be a Uefa thing that's stopping them.

Torontohibee
04-04-2012, 08:12 PM
Am I the only one, stunned and insulted by the arrogance of the old firm and powers in Scottish football. Just the word Rebel by definition

"a person who refuses allegiance to, resists, or rises in arms against the government or ruler of his or her country."

Does this not make the old firm the rebels, Rangers whether they survive or not have clearly broken league rules and still can determine the fate of the other 10 clubs. The 10 should not be begging for scraps, without a fair split of the revenue, the league is a joke!

Eyrie
04-04-2012, 08:15 PM
The requirement for a two year notice means that the Ugly Sisters would be able to sue the ten football clubs for their resultant loss of income (no home games, no TV deal, no sponsors).

But there is nothing to stop the ten football clubs from making a mass application to the SFL and forming the new top division once the notice period has been served.

Edit - just had a thought. Surely the Ugly Sisters should be encouraging the ten football clubs to walk away as they would then have an excellent reason for applying to the English leagues which UEFA could do nothing about?

muzzhfc
04-04-2012, 08:54 PM
if rangers and celtic were able to sue the rest of the spl for loss of earnings, surely that means when i leave my employer they would be able to sue me for loss of earnings due to recruitment process and re training? i just want the OF to piss off. sick and tired of them and their arrogance

Eyrie
04-04-2012, 10:51 PM
It's breach of contract that is the problem. It's like a player signing a three year deal and then deciding to play for someone else after 12 months.

Unless you have a similar notice period in your contract, you'd be able to leave with a week's notice. And most employers are likely to be "accomodating" if you wanted out earlier rather than have an unmotivated employee.

Dan Sarf
05-04-2012, 10:14 AM
Just when you thought they couldn't get any madder...

Celtic chief executive Peter Lawwell has praised manager Neil Lennon for his "tremendous strength of character and resilience". (Daily Record)

Eyrie
05-04-2012, 06:53 PM
Lawwell may as well have saluted his courage, his strength and his indefatigability.

Hibs Class
09-04-2012, 06:00 PM
Looks like the ten are still pretty solid.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17659243

This week has the potential to make a real change for the better in our game. Let's hope the OF don't **** it up.

NAE NOOKIE
09-04-2012, 06:58 PM
Looks like the ten are still pretty solid.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17659243

This week has the potential to make a real change for the better in our game. Let's hope the OF don't **** it up.

Whoever the unnamed chairman is, good on him for saying its wrong for Rangers to have a vote on this given their current situation. What a disgrace that a club run so badly it cant even pay its newspaper bill should be able to influence the finances of its peers.

If the self serving old firm are not prepared to concede on this matter the 10 have to resign. They have the OF over a barrel on this one. I am aware that any club quitting the SPL is supposed to give 2 years notice, but that rule would be totally discredited and unworkable if more than half the clubs resign at the same time. What could the OF do without a league to play in?

If the OF try to join the English League at any level it would not be outwith the scope of the SFA to complain to UEFA and FIFA that the Football Association or Football League are interfering in the internal affairs of Scottish Football by allowing two of the SFAs member clubs to join them.

Though its unlikely that FIFA or UEFA actually give a toss about Scottish football, what will happen is that the FAs of countries like Greece, Portugal, Belgium and The Netherlands will be alarmed at such a precedent being set. As they will see it, what is then to stop the likes of Sporting, Porto and Benfica joining the Spanish League or Ajax, PSV and Feyenoord joining the German League.

That will concentrate the minds of UEFA then, because the last thing they will want is a Bosman type situation where the legal eagles at the European Union decide that a club can ply its trade in any EU country it wants.

Sure the TV folk and UEFA in the long run would love some sort of European super league, but not one thats outwith their control.

Hibercelona
09-04-2012, 07:15 PM
I wonder who the unnamed chairman could be. :hmmm:

Sylar
09-04-2012, 07:29 PM

I'd imagine either Thompson or Yorkston to be the likely candidates.

I'm surprised to read that they're all still together on it - felt that Geoff Brown and St Johnstone would whimper out after his recent comments.

hibbymark
09-04-2012, 07:38 PM

Stephen Thomson apparently

At The Edge
09-04-2012, 08:01 PM

as the article has no mention of Jungle Book characters or mafia, we can safely say that the mad submariner was not behind it :greengrin

lord bunberry
09-04-2012, 08:14 PM
Lawwell may as well have saluted his courage, his strength and his indefatigability.

Meow

Beefster
10-04-2012, 08:50 AM

I don't understand why the chairmen of the 'ten' who speak to the press are feeling the need to remain anonymous. It's not like we have to hear from an 'unnamed Old Firm chairman' whenever they are pontificating on leaving or shafting the rest of us.

The ten clubs need to man up, be open about what's going on and who wants what and get it done. There's been a start but all this anonymous nonsense shows that they're still scared to speak out and stand by their comments in public.

Keith_M
10-04-2012, 09:03 AM
..... It's not like we have to hear from an 'unnamed Old Firm chairman' whenever they are pontificating on leaving or shafting the rest of us..

Since there's only Peter Lawell left, it would be quite difficult to remain anonymous under that description :wink:

Jones28
10-04-2012, 05:20 PM
Is it any real wonder that I've never heard of this prick until something like this happens? :confused:

Where was this guy when Celtic and Neil Lennon forced Scottish refs into striking? Where was he when Rangers destroyed Manchester, went into Administration and dragged Scottish football in disrepute?

Where was he when BOTH these teams disgraced Scotland in Europe by having sectarian fans?

PatHead
10-04-2012, 05:30 PM
Surely they should have proposed that teams in administration should have no right to vote until they exit administration. They could then have argued Rangers have no right and must abstain in the first vote due to their interest? 2nd vote would then have carried.......