PDA

View Full Version : SC All Edinburgh Final: A Question For the Gunshy

Dashing Bob S
02-04-2012, 01:21 PM
I've read and heard a fair bit of people not wanting Hearts in the cup final, because their nerves couldn't take it, or they couldn't stand the humiliation if they lost, and I've heard this tosh from Jambos and Hibbies.

Can I ask Hibs fans who feel this way; if our game against Aberdeen had been on Sunday, and Hearts had defeated Celtic on the saturday to make the final, would you have wanted Hibs to lose their semi to spare your nerves/possible humiliation?

Andy74
02-04-2012, 01:27 PM
I've read and heard a fair bit of people not wanting Hearts in the cup final, because their nerves couldn't take it, or they couldn't stand the humiliation if they lost, and I've heard this tosh from Jambos and Hibbies.

Can I ask Hibs fans who feel this way; if our game against Aberdeen had been on Sunday, and Hearts had defeated Celtic on the saturday to make the final, would you have wanted Hibs to lose their semi to spare your nerves/possible humiliation?

It's a tough one Bob but ultimately I'd want to be in the cup still and not out of it.

It is a nightmare scenario though and one of these occassions where the upside would be incredible. We all know thugh that there is rarely an upside when it comes to matches against Hearts, particulalry on the big occassions.

Dashing Bob S
02-04-2012, 01:31 PM
It's a tough one Bob but ultimately I'd want to be in the cup still and not out of it.

It is a nightmare scenario though and one of these occassions where the upside would be incredible. We all know thugh that there is rarely an upside when it comes to matches against Hearts, particulalry on the big occassions.

How many 'big matches' have we had against Hearts recently? One cup semi, a possible SC and LC quarter final. The rest have been League derbies which fans of both sides are making more and more excuses to stay away from.

blackpoolhibs
02-04-2012, 01:32 PM
I'd take the gimps every time over the smellies should we make the final.

BroxburnHibee
02-04-2012, 01:33 PM
We are destined to get this monkey off our backs by beating them in the final.

It's fate - bring it on

02-04-2012, 01:38 PM
Nope, if that situation happened I would 100% defiantly still want hibs to win and go through and join them in the final. Yes, of course the idea of loosing to hearts in a final is awful and it would be the ultimate heart break, but the idea of beating them is even better, I cannot think of a bigger high than beating hearts in a SC final. Hearts would play on our fear and would prob beat us but if we go into the game believing we can win then I don't see why we cant beat them. They are not a great side at all and if we showed some real fight and got stuck into them then on our day we can beat them.

The pressure would be on them, they would go in as favourites and their arrogant, disgusting fans would go in expecting to hump us. They would hurt so much more if they lost. They give us the most stick about 1902 etc. so if it was against them that we ended our hoodoo then they just wouldn't be able to cope with that.

GGTTH

easty
02-04-2012, 01:44 PM

yep.

bawheid
02-04-2012, 01:52 PM
They won it in 2006 after beating us in the semi-final. That was basically the final though because the winners played 2nd division Gretna in the final.

Losing to them in the final would be a bit rubbish, but nothing I couldn't handle.

Beating them in the Scottish Cup final however........

Mikey
02-04-2012, 01:54 PM
Can you imagine the pressure they'll put themselves under?

Can you imagine the horror of losing to Hibs in the final??

bawheid
02-04-2012, 01:55 PM
Can you imagine the pressure they'll put themselves under?

Can you imagine the horror of losing to Hibs in the final??

They would be absolutely soiling themselves. :agree:

1two
02-04-2012, 02:10 PM
A hibs win would hurt them more than a hears win would hurt us

The reality for them is they would have nothing on us if we won, If they won then very little changes

They would be devastated

NOLA
02-04-2012, 02:51 PM
i think its fate that we have to beat hertz to get this monkey off our back, ive seen much better Hibs teams lose to that manky mob over the years, so wouldnt surprise me if this team actually acheived the feat :dizzy:

Keith_M
02-04-2012, 02:59 PM
We were beaten 5-0 last game against Celtc and, if we met them in the final, I fear another drubbing. I freely admit Hibs were really poor last time out at Tynecastle but they were no means anywhere near the quality of Celtc.

With that in mind, it has to be (if we win the semi, obviously) our best chance of winning if Hearts are our opponents.

This is football. We should look forward to the big occasion, surely? My personal view is the more Semi-Finals/Finals that Hibs and Hearts can play each other, the better.

Dashing Bob S
02-04-2012, 03:04 PM
We were beaten 5-0 last game against Celtc and, if we met them in the final, I fear another drubbing. I freely admit Hibs were really poor last time out at Tynecastle but they were no means anywhere near the quality of Celtc.

With that in mind, it has to be (if we win the semi, obviously) our best chance of winning if Hearts are our opponents.

This is football. We should look forward to the big occasion, surely? My personal view is the more Semi-Finals/Finals that Hibs and Hearts can play each other, the better.

Essential.

Until this happens both clubs will, by definition, be underachieving and mediocre.

greenlex
02-04-2012, 03:32 PM
Sorry G. This clarifies nothing. Who is who? :greengrin

neilmartinrocks
02-04-2012, 03:41 PM
How many 'big matches' have we had against Hearts recently? One cup semi, a possible SC and LC quarter final. The rest have been League derbies which fans of both sides are making more and more excuses to stay away from.

EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM!!
its a derby its against the yamms its a BIG GAME.

NAE NOOKIE
02-04-2012, 03:51 PM

No :shotdowni

Hibbyradge
02-04-2012, 05:00 PM
A Hibs v Hearts final would be incredible. It would be an historic occasion which I hope comes to pass. It happened once before, in 1896, but that wasn't at Hampden.

I've superstitiously said for years that we'll finally get the 1902 monkey off our back by beating the people who give us the hardest time about it, Hearts, in the final.

The irony, and the revenge, will be delicious.

Mikey
02-04-2012, 05:01 PM
They would be absolutely soiling themselves. :agree:

But would we notice the difference :hmmm:

O'Rourke3
02-04-2012, 05:09 PM
But would we notice the difference :hmmm:

:faf::faf::faf::faf::faf::faf::faf::faf::faf:

HUTCHYHIBBY
02-04-2012, 05:18 PM
Lets get there first! I honestly dont think anyone would prefer to lose in the semi v the sheep to avoid playing they fakirs in the final tho!

Brebners Bookie
02-04-2012, 05:21 PM
Following hibs has given me tried and tested coping mechanisms. If we lost i could deal with it. If we won i would worry for my health.

I would love to play them in the final.

At The Edge
02-04-2012, 05:38 PM
Was talking to my Hearts pals at work today about this, they are absolutley bricking it if this comes to pass, they could not handle it if we won,
our long wait is over and against them, they have no bragging rights left.
We have nothing to lose
oh how sweet this would be

still beating Celtic will just be as nice!
:pfgwa

chorley_fm
02-04-2012, 05:49 PM
lets beat the sheep first............................................. ....

:cb

erin go bragh
02-04-2012, 05:58 PM
In a word ; NO
Bring it on :rockin:
ggtth

The_Todd
02-04-2012, 06:00 PM
I'd rather Hearts in the final simply as we'd have a better chance of success than we would against Celtic. Nothing more, nothing less.

NAE NOOKIE
02-04-2012, 06:25 PM
The honest truth is that in purely footballing terms we would have a better chance of beating the Yams than the lesser greens and at least on the pitch they would surely feel the pressure more than us, coz they would have to be huge favourites, given their derby record and our rubbish record in finals.

You know, when I think about it what really does worry me about playing the Yams in the final is a repeat of THAT semi. Not on the pitch, but off it. I have nightmares about Hibs making a total cock up of the ticket sales like they did then.

Its a fact that a hard to take pumping ( coz lets face it, thats what it was ) was made even worse by spending the whole game in a depleted Hibs end, where for some reason as I recall, there was barely a peep out of our support after we went a goal down.

The chances are that it wont be an all Edinburgh final coz the odds are about 45/55 for us and 30/70 for the Yams of getting there.

But if it does happen:

In the weeks leading up to the game it must be made clear to any Hibs supporter intending to go that not wearing Green and White and sitting on your hands for 90 minutes will not be talerated. That even if we were to go a goal down, that giving up off the pitch will be as bad as giving up on it.

For some of us a game like that could be the first and last chance in our lifetime to stick it so far up the Yams that it will shut them up for years, if not forever. A win in a game like that would make 7 - 0 and 6 - 2 stuff not even bothering with it would be that sisemic.

The other thing is that Hibs must not be allowed to make the sort of major error they made last time with the tickets.

For any sheep fans who may be tuning in: This is a purely hypothetical debate and should in no way be construed as any kind of arrogant assumption that we are certs for the final. This is Hibs, that is Hampden, we take nothing for granted and we are not the old firm.

For Yams and Plastic Paddys tuning in ...... Who cares what you think.

GGTTH

Geo_1875
02-04-2012, 08:39 PM
I just hope that if Hibs do reach the final they don't change the kick off to 11:00am on the Sunday.

SteveHFC
02-04-2012, 08:40 PM
In a word ; NO
Bring it on :rockin:
ggtth

This :cb

Hibernia&Alba
03-04-2012, 12:01 PM
Reaching the final would be great regardless of opponent. Hopefully do the job against Aberdeen and then see who's next. I think I'd prefer to play Celtic, but if were to be Hearts, so be it. I certainly wouldn't contemplate a preference for going out rather than face them.

Andy74
03-04-2012, 12:23 PM
The honest truth is that in purely footballing terms we would have a better chance of beating the Yams than the lesser greens and at least on the pitch they would surely feel the pressure more than us, coz they would have to be huge favourites, given their derby record and our rubbish record in finals.

You know, when I think about it what really does worry me about playing the Yams in the final is a repeat of THAT semi. Not on the pitch, but off it. I have nightmares about Hibs making a total cock up of the ticket sales like they did then.

Its a fact that a hard to take pumping ( coz lets face it, thats what it was ) was made even worse by spending the whole game in a depleted Hibs end, where for some reason as I recall, there was barely a peep out of our support after we went a goal down.

The chances are that it wont be an all Edinburgh final coz the odds are about 45/55 for us and 30/70 for the Yams of getting there.

But if it does happen:

In the weeks leading up to the game it must be made clear to any Hibs supporter intending to go that not wearing Green and White and sitting on your hands for 90 minutes will not be talerated. That even if we were to go a goal down, that giving up off the pitch will be as bad as giving up on it.

For some of us a game like that could be the first and last chance in our lifetime to stick it so far up the Yams that it will shut them up for years, if not forever. A win in a game like that would make 7 - 0 and 6 - 2 stuff not even bothering with it would be that sisemic.

The other thing is that Hibs must not be allowed to make the sort of major error they made last time with the tickets.

For any sheep fans who may be tuning in: This is a purely hypothetical debate and should in no way be construed as any kind of arrogant assumption that we are certs for the final. This is Hibs, that is Hampden, we take nothing for granted and we are not the old firm.

For Yams and Plastic Paddys tuning in ...... Who cares what you think.

GGTTH

I think the only real issue with tickets for that game is the areas we sold them for. We had a pretty full area in the South stand that couldn't be seen by TV but a big gap behind the goals. Hearts had the opposite.

Despite all the guff the Yams have come out with since i think we only took about 2k less than them.

With the fact we had a depleted team, which we knew well in advance, and them being at the peak of their spending I don't think it was surprising that they were so much more up for it than we were.

Edit? Seeing as I can't make it to the final I'm hoping we play Celtic if we get there as I couldn't handle not being there the time we win it and at least that would be a Europen spot in the bag.

down-the-slope
04-04-2012, 11:18 AM
They won it in 2006 after beating us in the semi-final. That was basically the final though because the winners played 2nd division Gretna in the final.

Losing to them in the final would be a bit rubbish, but nothing I couldn't handle.

Beating them in the Scottish Cup final however........

:agree: Ditto

The upside is just undescribbable - something that their fans would take harder than 0-7.....:hide:

losing for us :dunno:...bit of a shoulder shrugger...fully paid up T-Shirt wearing member of the big let down club

I'd take the chance every time :greengrin

Still...lets see if we can get more league points on the board and get a result against the sheepies first...THEN we can sit back and watch the second Semi and see what happens

hailhail22
04-04-2012, 11:31 AM
I have spoke to a few yam mates about this and surprised that most of them feel this is fate for hibs to beat hearts in the final and seem to be absolutely bricking it at the thought of a hibs hearts final and think they will have far to much pressure on themselfs and will bottle it, however as other people are saying lets c how we get on in the semis first.

Eyrie
04-04-2012, 07:37 PM
Problem is that we wouldn't be facing their fans who are bricking it, but a bunch of unpaid mercenaries who know that the timing of their next pay cheque is heavily dependent on beating a team that they usually beat.

Goes without saying that I'd rather beat Hearts than Celtc in the final but, let's be honest, for all the brave talk no-one would put their mortgage on us beating either of them. Given the downside to losing to Hearts then I'd rather face Celtc, just as I'd prefer to play Hearts than not be there. Lower expectations and a guaranteed place in Europe beats groundless optimism any day.

gorgie greens
06-04-2012, 05:16 AM
Would have to be Hearts in a final,as they are the weaker of the two teams,both my grandad and dad who have both died never saw those green n white ribbons on that cup or the open top bus going down sunny Lieth,but too win it against Hearts would be all your christmas's come true.

ALF TUPPER
06-04-2012, 06:16 AM
If we are are ever going to win this cup maybe its going to be against them . If thats what we need to do .......... then lets do it !!!
I still think we'll beat Aberdeen and our final will be against Celtc.
To answer the question ..... The Hibees to win and play anyone anytime for me. A Hibs team we have barely seen all season might just turn up and stun the opposition and us ! ( case in point Killie ).
Might just be our year. This team might end up legends.

Septimus
06-04-2012, 06:27 AM
We have been lucky with the draw so far and a final against Hearts I would consider to be the ultimate good fortune.

NAE NOOKIE
06-04-2012, 07:54 AM
We have been lucky with the draw so far and a final against Hearts I would consider to be the ultimate good fortune.

Know what you mean, in as far as we have avoided the likes of the Yams the OF and Dundee Utd.

But the funny thing is that the draws we have had were all potential Banana skins given our past Scottish cup history. The effort against Killie at ER especially in the second half was nothing short of heroic.

We have now managed to draw the one club in the semis who we at least have a realistic chance of beating, given our results against the other two over the last couple of years.

Not saying its our time or anything. Just that its interesting
:greengrin

pentlando
06-04-2012, 09:50 AM
Know what you mean, in as far as we have avoided the likes of the Yams the OF and Dundee Utd.

But the funny thing is that the draws we have had were all potential Banana skins given our past Scottish cup history. The effort against Killie at ER especially in the second half was nothing short of heroic.

We have now managed to draw the one club in the semis who we at least have a realistic chance of beating, given our results against the other two over the last couple of years.

Not saying its our time or anything. Just that its interesting
:greengrin

The most I have celebrated all season was the double block about 15 mins from time. Most desire I've seen in a Hibs backline as far as I can remember.