PDA

View Full Version : Now the dust has settled.

blackpoolhibs
01-04-2012, 04:32 PM
6 games left, dunfermline need to take 10 points if we win another, wont happen. Whats clear to me is we need ANOTHER clearout of players. I'd bin the lot bar the kids and McPake.

I know that wont happen, but imo McPake apart the rest just are not good enough for a team that wants top 4 football.

NORTHERNHIBBY
01-04-2012, 04:38 PM
The semi final will decide how we line up until the season end. If we flock the sheep, we should be playing more or less the cup final squad every week to keep them match fit. Anyone that is denied a chance to shine, that hasn't shone already, has had their chips. Barring one or two players, there are reasonable grounds to bin the whole lot.

Alfred E Newman
01-04-2012, 04:41 PM
6 games left, dunfermline need to take 10 points if we win another, wont happen. Whats clear to me is we need ANOTHER clearout of players. I'd bin the lot bar the kids and McPake.

I know that wont happen, but imo McPake apart the rest just are not good enough for a team that wants top 4 football.

You are right. Hopefully most of the loan players will go at the end of the season. It is still a massive job to build a team with whats there at the moment and I have no doubt next season will be a struggle as well. Surely there must be a couple of youngsters ready for a chance given that next to none have broken into the team over the past couple of years. If there isnt, then there is something radically wrong with our scouting and coaching system.

shamo9
01-04-2012, 04:47 PM
O'Connor, Griffiths and Osbourne have a lot of talent, but they're also sensitive souls that need thorough man management to get the best out of them every week. I think Fenlon will relish the challenge in that regard.

N.Wales Hibby
01-04-2012, 04:54 PM
We got 3 lucky points today that hopefully will save us from relegation but the truth is we are dire. I watched the game on TV and we where playing like a schoolboy team. As posters have stated we need to have a clear out or we will find ourselves in the same position next year and I am afraid that the support will dwindle even more and with that the revenue.

Sas_The_Hibby
01-04-2012, 04:56 PM

Pars getting ten points or us winning another game? :wink:

blackpoolhibs
01-04-2012, 05:00 PM
Pars getting ten points or us winning another game? :wink:

I'm sure we will wi another game, but it wont get away from us being a terrible football team. Today has bought us another season in the SPL, the loan players will go back and we are left with a really poor bunch of players that would relegate us.

Hibernia&Alba
01-04-2012, 05:04 PM
Massive re-building job ahead, no question, but what really matters right now is staying up. Today is a huge boost and should make us just about safe. Once we're offically across the line and into the summer Pat has a big job on his hands to ensure we aren't back here in twelve months time. A lot of players simply aren't good enough, we know that. The question is can Pat identify who is worth keeping and then replace those who go with better players and within a reasonable budget? It's a tall order to deliver and one that requires no lack of skill, but we mustn't be fighting relegation next season and should always be competing for top six.

I'll ponder more tomorrow. Right now I'm having a beer. :partyhibb

Sas_The_Hibby
01-04-2012, 05:05 PM
I'm sure we will wi another game, but it wont get away from us being a terrible football team. Today has bought us another season in the SPL, the loan players will go back and we are left with a really poor bunch of players that would relegate us.

That may well be the most considered reply I've ever had to a throwaway line! :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
01-04-2012, 05:16 PM
That may well be the most considered reply I've ever had to a throwaway line! :greengrin

:greengrin

NAE NOOKIE
01-04-2012, 05:21 PM
Apart from McPake we could ship the lot.

I didnt look at the Wotherspoon thread, but I just cant figure out this guy at all, he looked like he was going to be up there with Brown, Whittaker, Fletcher etc but instead he looks like he isnt fit and has tight hamstrings when he runs. Do we have a sprint coach at East Mains? I find it very sad that a lad who should be one of our best just doesnt seem able to raise his game and appears to be slower than he was 2 years ago.

Pat Fenlon has a huge job on his hands in the close season and only a few weeks to find enough 'decent' players to make a team. That time will be even less if by some miracle we reach the cup final.

But if we do lose to the sheep on the 14th the second we are mathematically safe the rebuilding has to begin. The players we need are out there and possibly even affordable. But we will have to act fast to get them. First one on my list would be Hasselbaink from St Mirren, coz if nothing else he will get folk off their seats and I cant think of another SPL player even with the OF who can.

Apart from Russell and McKay - Steven at Utd, who are going to be way out of reach.

Apart from him we need a ball player in midfield and some players with decent pace and ball control and determination to succeed. Ye gods, you would think I was wanting Hibs to sign some professional football players the way I'm going on.

jdships
01-04-2012, 05:37 PM
" Now the dust has settled " and trying not to be OTT that win today may well prove to be the most important win of this league campaign.
Still doesn't take away from the fact that there is a massive job to be done before season 2012/13 kicks off :rolleyes:
:flag::flag::flag:

mmmmhibby
01-04-2012, 08:36 PM
You are right. Hopefully most of the loan players will go at the end of the season. It is still a massive job to build a team with whats there at the moment and I have no doubt next season will be a struggle as well. Surely there must be a couple of youngsters ready for a chance given that next to none have broken into the team over the past couple of years. If there isnt, then there is something radically wrong with our scouting and coaching system.

i cannot understand why lewis stevenson is still at hibs. did we give him a new contract recently? Hes good enough for the scottish lower leagues, thats his level. typically has more bad(well, average/posted missing) games than good. soz wee man, but he just doesnt add anything to our team.

Dashing Bob S
01-04-2012, 09:14 PM
If we amass enough points to remain in the SPL Pat Fenlon will have completed phase 1. Phase 2 will be to build a team to compete next season.

Was always going to thus, and PF indicated that he was doing it that way. I think we need to get the cup out the way (one way or another) then we can start thinking about next season.

I'm sure Fenlon has a game plan.

I'll be hacked off if we're outside the top six next year.

Baldy Foghorn
01-04-2012, 09:26 PM
i cannot understand why lewis stevenson is still at hibs. did we give him a new contract recently? Hes good enough for the scottish lower leagues, thats his level. typically has more bad(well, average/posted missing) games than good. soz wee man, but he just doesnt add anything to our team.

One of our most consistent players this season....

CallumLaidlaw
01-04-2012, 09:29 PM
Kujabi
McPake
Francombe
Ozzy
Stevenson
Griffiths

Are the only ones I'm that bothered about. Maybe Soares

We'll still have Claros (jury still out), and Doyle (I quite like him but needs a decent run)

I would like a keeper, centre half, left and right wingers, as a priority.

marinello59
01-04-2012, 09:31 PM

Really? Yet he has played SPL football for five years now. Obviously the hibs.net jury knows more than Collins, Mixu, Hughes, Calderwood and now Pat Fenlon who starts him every week.

Baldy Foghorn
01-04-2012, 09:36 PM
Really? Yet he has played SPL football for five years now. Obviously the hibs.net jury knows more than Collins, Mixu, Hughes, Calderwood and now Pat Fenlon who starts him every week.

:agree::agree::agree:

Jonnyboy
01-04-2012, 09:46 PM

I can

CallumLaidlaw
01-04-2012, 09:47 PM
I can

Me too. Huge improvement from Lewis in the last 12 months.

Sir David Gray
01-04-2012, 09:53 PM
Managed to catch a bit of the first half at work today and the standard of football was embarrassing, if I'm being honest.

We obviously improved after the break but I think it's obvious that we need major surgery in the summer if we're going to get anywhere near where we want to be in the next couple of years.

Of course I'm pleased with the win today and relieved that it now seems that we will, at least, be staying up but finishing 11th in the SPL for a club like Hibs is disgraceful and not good enough by a long, long way.

We have massively underachieved in the past two seasons and it's not good enough by any stretch of the imagination.

jdships
02-04-2012, 07:12 AM

My thoughts exactly . :agree:
Will be an even better player in a good side :thumbsup:
There's a few more of the " old guard" I would "pay off" before LS :greengrin

Barney McGrew
02-04-2012, 07:15 AM
While we have clearly been pretty pish this season, it's interesting to see that derby aside Fenlon has managed to get the team to do the business in the 'must win' games. Dunfermline away, the Killie and Ayr cup games and now Caley away all ended up with victories.

Let's hope that form carries on into the semi and beyond :greengrin

offshorehibby
02-04-2012, 07:32 AM
We got 3 lucky points today that hopefully will save us from relegation but the truth is we are dire. I watched the game on TV and we where playing like a schoolboy team. As posters have stated we need to have a clear out or we will find ourselves in the same position next year and I am afraid that the support will dwindle even more and with that the revenue.

I don't think it was a lucky 3pts, it was a well earned 3pts. We are playing sh*!%e because we are 2nd bottom of the league, nervous because the least mistake might be the nail in the coffin.
They had a soft pen a fluky 2nd goal, Hibs battled hard in the second half and scored 3 decent goals and held on well.

hibs0666
02-04-2012, 08:32 AM

We should know by now that clearout after clearout more likely to result in a cycle of decline rather than anything else. We are crying out for some stability and, as part of that, give a group of players time to gel as a team.

blackpoolhibs
02-04-2012, 08:39 AM
We should know by now that clearout after clearout more likely to result in a cycle of decline rather than anything else. We are crying out for some stability and, as part of that, give a group of players time to gel as a team.

Thats normally true, but is it 8 loans, i cant quite remember but they will go back to their parent club.

That leaves us with the rest, and quite a few of them are out of contract. Just off the top of my head there's Stack, Brown Stevenson and O'Conner, there might be more.

Its inevitable we will have a huge clearout, its clear this lot are just not good enough and never will be. Its not ideal, although there's none bar a couple and the kids worth keeping imo.

sparkiedelpaco7
02-04-2012, 08:58 AM
Stack(/New Keeper)

Francomb Doherty McPake Kujabi(/Smith)

Osbourne(/New RW) Soares Claros Booth(/New LW)

Griffiths O'Connor

Bench: Antell, Hanlon, Wotherspoon, Stanton, Sproule, Doyle, O'Donovan

Released: Stevenson, Towell, O'Hanlon, Brown, Scott

hibs0666
02-04-2012, 08:59 AM
Thats normally true, but is it 8 loans, i cant quite remember but they will go back to their parent club.

That leaves us with the rest, and quite a few of them are out of contract. Just off the top of my head there's Stack, Brown Stevenson and O'Conner, there might be more.

Its inevitable we will have a huge clearout, its clear this lot are just not good enough and never will be. Its not ideal, although there's none bar a couple and the kids worth keeping imo.

I don't think anything is clear just now. What we all need to remember is that football performance is only in part down to individuals - it's a team game after all.

blackpoolhibs
02-04-2012, 09:03 AM
Stack(/New Keeper)

Griffiths O'Connor

6 of that team are not ours, 5 are due back at their parent clubs at the end of this season.

Hibbyradge
02-04-2012, 09:05 AM
I really like Kujabi.

blackpoolhibs
02-04-2012, 09:08 AM
I don't think anything is clear just now. What we all need to remember is that football performance is only in part down to individuals - it's a team game after all.

Well its clear to me, this bunch are not good enough. Its clear to me, after the loan players go back we will be even weaker. We are 11th for a reason, individually or as a team, this lot are poor.

AndyM_1875
02-04-2012, 12:02 PM
Well its clear to me, this bunch are not good enough. Its clear to me, after the loan players go back we will be even weaker. We are 11th for a reason, individually or as a team, this lot are poor.

Yes indeed. First priority for me should be signing James McPake, natural leader and obvious captain.

Pat will be a very busy boy in the summer.

Steven_Hibs
02-04-2012, 12:08 PM
A complete clearout is definitely needed, and long overdue. Players like Wotherspoon, Stevenson, Hanlon need to be shifted on. What we need is hard working, fit players who can grind out results and defend, whilst bringing in 2 or 3 proper footballers, flair players, to give the team an attacking edge, something that has been lacking for years

bawheid
02-04-2012, 12:15 PM
Stack(/New Keeper)

Griffiths O'Connor

:crazy:

A complete clearout is definitely needed, and long overdue. Players like Wotherspoon, Stevenson, Hanlon need to be shifted on. What we need is hard working, fit players who can grind out results and defend, whilst bringing in 2 or 3 proper footballers, flair players, to give the team an attacking edge, something that has been lacking for years

:crazy:

Seveno
02-04-2012, 12:25 PM
:agree::agree::agree:

Add Pat Nevin to that list.

GloryGlory
02-04-2012, 12:40 PM
Apart from McPake we could ship the lot.

I didnt look at the Wotherspoon thread, but I just cant figure out this guy at all, he looked like he was going to be up there with Brown, Whittaker, Fletcher etc but instead he looks like he isnt fit and has tight hamstrings when he runs. Do we have a sprint coach at East Mains? I find it very sad that a lad who should be one of our best just doesnt seem able to raise his game and appears to be slower than he was 2 years ago.

Pat Fenlon has a huge job on his hands in the close season and only a few weeks to find enough 'decent' players to make a team. That time will be even less if by some miracle we reach the cup final.

But if we do lose to the sheep on the 14th the second we are mathematically safe the rebuilding has to begin. The players we need are out there and possibly even affordable. But we will have to act fast to get them. First one on my list would be Hasselbaink from St Mirren, coz if nothing else he will get folk off their seats and I cant think of another SPL player even with the OF who can.

Apart from Russell and McKay - Steven at Utd, who are going to be way out of reach.

Apart from him we need a ball player in midfield and some players with decent pace and ball control and determination to succeed. Ye gods, you would think I was wanting Hibs to sign some professional football players the way I'm going on.

:agree: I wouldn't lose any sleep if none of the out-of-contract players were offered a new deal. Like you, I think there should be better players available for the money Hibs pay (which is not peanuts despite what you may have read on here).

silverhibee
02-04-2012, 01:02 PM
Yes indeed. First priority for me should be signing James McPake, natural leader and obvious captain.

Pat will be a very busy boy in the summer.

That would be good but cant see it happening myself, i think McPake will be looking to get back down South after the summer and he is doing himself no harm in that happening with the good performances he is putting in for Hibs, this was an opportunity for him to put himself in the shop window for the summer and i am sure there will be other clubs down South keeping an eye on him on how he is doing at Hibs.

Dashing Bob S
02-04-2012, 01:08 PM
That would be good but cant see it happening myself, i think McPake will be looking to get back down South after the summer and he is doing himself no harm in that happening with the good performances he is putting in for Hibs, this was an opportunity for him to put himself in the shop window for the summer and i am sure there will be other clubs down South keeping an eye on him on how he is doing at Hibs.

I'm not so sure. He seems to be enjoying football and life back here, and if he is our highest earner and offered a long contract, it might tempt him.

Bishop Hibee
02-04-2012, 01:37 PM

Bit harsh on Kujabi but apart from that you're right re top 4. Sadly I think it will be a few seasons before we see that level again. 6th would be a remarkable performance next season given that this is quite possibly the worst Hibs team ever.

The only loanee I'd bust a gut to keep is McPake. We should only go for Griffiths if Fenlon thinks he can ever screw the nut and we can afford him. His last goal yesterday is something that no one in our current squad offers.

hibs0666
02-04-2012, 03:00 PM

Another one?

Hibs7
03-04-2012, 08:26 AM
Just watched the highlights and w should have been at least 2 down by half time.
Well taken three goals though, and never a penalty.
But they were tearing our defence to shreds in the first half, still a lot of work to do.

JohnScott
03-04-2012, 08:50 AM
Kujabi
McPake
Francombe
Ozzy
Stevenson
Griffiths

Are the only ones I'm that bothered about. Maybe Soares

We'll still have Claros (jury still out), and Doyle (I quite like him but needs a decent run)

I would like a keeper, centre half, left and right wingers, as a priority.

Your kidding? Right?

JohnScott
03-04-2012, 09:33 AM
Nice to see everyone's being realistic eh!

All loan players back to their respective clubs (I include McPake as it would take some deal to get him to stay!) then dump most of the rest?
And replace them with what? Loads of free signings, untried youngsters and more loanees? Loan players by the way who will not be available till the season's about to start!

The board are desperate for fans to renew season tickets so they can give Paddy a budget for the summer. How many are willing to renew though? What kind of budget will he have? This is the first time in decades we have not had a single player who could command a sizeable transfer fee. So please will you ALL take the time to explain just where we're getting the money to rebuild an entire squad, not just a team????

We need breathing space FFS. Last time we were relegated we came up and were challenging the Old Firm a season later, eventually finishing in third. Some of you replied to my recent post by saying relegation is unacceptable to Hibernian. OF COURSE IT IS!!!! But so is watching clubs like Motherwell and ST Johnstone playing us off the park!!! Do you really in all seriousness believe next season will be any better?

We either need an expanded league to breath and grow in or yep, a year or two in SFL1. I saw them relegated twice and I thought we could never get lower than losing to Stranraer in a league game at home. Relegation for Hibs is unacceptable but so is this year after year debate about what's gone wrong!

I can't see us being relegated now but it's coming! That's being realistic. Especially when Rod gets his ten team SPL.

By the way: I'll gladly take criticism from those fans who attended the recent game at Tyncastle. The rest of you can get stuffed :greengrin