PDA

View Full Version : Points won by O'Connor goals this season?

R'Albin
01-04-2012, 04:00 PM
One for the :nerd: s on here (Cough, FalkirkHibee Cough :wink:) how many points has Garry O'Connor won us with his goals this season?

shamo9
01-04-2012, 04:34 PM
He's scored in every game against Inverness and 2/3 against Dunfermline. That's 8 points in my estimation. Beating the teams around you is the most important thing though, so I guess it could be worth more than that in the end:flag:

Sas_The_Hibby
01-04-2012, 04:59 PM
One for the :nerd: s on here (Cough, FalkirkHibee Cough :wink:) how many points has Garry O'Connor won us with his goals this season?

And with his penalty dives? :duck:

hibee_girl
01-04-2012, 06:06 PM
I make it 15 points :aok:

scoopyboy
01-04-2012, 06:12 PM

How many points did he win us today?

When we win 1-0 and he scores the winner I would say his goal would be worth two points but I don't see how you can quantify when we win 3-2 and there are three different scorers.

edwards
01-04-2012, 06:28 PM
And that is why we need him to put pen to paper for next season, he has had far to much on his mind with his off the field problems.

Sas_The_Hibby
01-04-2012, 06:29 PM
How many points did he win us today?

When we win 1-0 and he scores the winner I would say his goal would be worth two points but I don't see how you can quantify when we win 3-2 and there are three different scorers.

1 point each, then.

Except Hanlon gets his point deducted for the penalty. So 1½ points each to Griffiths and O'Connor.

Unless Stack gets minus 1 point for the second ICT goal, in which case Sparky and GOC get 2 points each.

Although, if it's done on the Duckworth-Lewis method, their respective run rates could come into it..............

Sas_The_Hibby
01-04-2012, 06:30 PM
And that is why we need him to put pen to paper for next season, he has had far to much on his mind with his off the field problems.

The poor wee innocent bystander! :greengrin

Spike Mandela
01-04-2012, 06:35 PM
Fletcher didn't have a right foot, Riordan was lazy, Griffiths is immature and O'connor is overweight and offers nothing. Time and time again these guys get pilloried for their perceived weaknesses whilst those with a fraction of their talent get exalted for showing "effort and commitment".

It's time we cherish true quality when we have it. Goals win games and without Fletcher and Riordan in previous years and O'Connor and Griffiths this year we would have even less to shout about than now.

West Upper
01-04-2012, 11:01 PM
Fletcher didn't have a left foot, Riordan was lazy, Griffiths is immature and O'connor is overweight and offers nothing. Time and time again these guys get pilloried for their perceived weaknesses whilst those with a fraction of their talent get exalted for showing "effort and commitment".

It's time we cherish true quality when we have it. Goals win games and without Fletcher and Riordan in previous years and O'Connor and Griffiths this year we would have even less to shout about than now.

I thought it was his right foot which was poor. Isnt he Left Footed ?

Spike Mandela
01-04-2012, 11:11 PM
I thought it was his right foot which was poor. Isnt he Left Footed ?

Well spotted, but you get my point.:greengrin

Sir David Gray
01-04-2012, 11:20 PM

Games that Garry O'Connor has scored in, along with actual points won and the points we would have got if he hadn't scored;

Inverness 0-1 Hibs Inverness 0-0 Hibs 2 extra points
Kilmarnock 4-1 Hibs Kilmarnock 4-0 Hibs 0 extra points
Hibs 1-2 St Mirren Hibs 0-2 St Mirren 0 extra points
Dunfermline 2-2 Hibs Dunfermline 2-1 Hibs 1 extra point
Hibs 3-3 Dundee Utd Hibs 2-3 Dundee Utd 1 extra point
Hibs 3-2 St Johnstone Hibs 1-2 St Johnstone 3 extra points
Hibs 1-1 Inverness Hibs 0-1 Inverness 1 extra point
Dunfermline 2-3 Hibs Dunfermline 2-2 Hibs 2 extra points
Inverness 2-3 Hibs Inverness 2-2 Hibs 2 extra points

I make it that Garry O'Connor's goals in the league this season have allowed us to pick up an extra 12 points this season than we would have got if he hadn't scored in those games.

Possibly an even bigger finding is that Dunfermline have missed out on 3 points as a result of O'Connor's goals this season.

Sunny1875
01-04-2012, 11:34 PM
Games that Garry O'Connor has scored in, along with actual points won and the points we would have got if he hadn't scored;

I make it that Garry O'Connor's goals in the league this season have allowed us to pick up an extra 12 points this season than we would have got if he hadn't scored in those games.

Possibly an even bigger finding is that Dunfermline have missed out on 3 points as a result of O'Connor's goals this season.

Think you will find its the whole team in each of those games that gained us points

leither17
01-04-2012, 11:46 PM
Think you will find its the whole team in each of those games that gained us points

Not if you took garry's goals out though

R'Albin
02-04-2012, 01:45 AM

Thanks FH, and Scoopy it's obviously impossible to find out how much we would of won had we had a different striker in, but I was interested in seeing how many important goals he scored for us this season.

That's a fair point about Dunfy as well, those were vital points.

IWasThere2016
02-04-2012, 06:01 AM
I wish I was as fat as GOC!

Hartson on Sportscene said GOC had looked after himself :cool2:

Phil MaGlass
02-04-2012, 07:38 AM
Ok so he might not have the speed but he can certainly score a goal or 10..... I have even slagged him for being slower than a week in the jail,but yi cannae keep a good man/striker down for long, unless yir names Carrol.

blackpoolhibs
02-04-2012, 08:26 AM
Yesterdays performance was one of Garry"s worst, and by christ there's been some stinkers this season.

If we are to put up with him and that form next season we will be no further forward. I jumped up like everyone else when he scored, but we need much better from our centre forward.

Who's to say if we had a centre forward who can keep hold of the ball, he'd bring the rest of the team into the game, let the defenders get a bit further up the park, and maybe then the midfield could actually support the front players from time to time, rather than turning round and running back towards their own goal again as what happens most of the time.

Garry was on fire at the start of the season, now he can hardly move. Again if thats the O'Conner we see next season, we wont have moved on and improved as a team imo.

Hibrandenburg
02-04-2012, 08:26 AM
The team win points. If you let more in than you score then you don't get many points. Gary O didn't win any points for us, he just helped the team win some.

SlickShoes
02-04-2012, 08:48 AM
If Garry wasn't playing in those games someone else would have been and who's to say they wouldn't have scored?

Garry is unfit, he has the first touch of a cart horse, billy dodds on ESPN said yesterday "If this had been 3 years ago O'Connor would have scored that". That is a statement you say about a player that is about 35 years old, not one that is 28 and should be in there prime. That sums up Garry for me.

If you are looking at "how many games has he won us" then how many games has he lost us by being a complete bystander?

Griffiths is immature, fletcher would have benefited massively from having a right foot, doesn't mean they are bad players. Riordans last spell at hibs ended terribly and he wasn't scoring nearly enough goals. All these criticisms are justified, if Griffiths wasn't so immature and banned for 4 games maybe we would have won those games with his added contribution?

Based on recent form between november and now O'Connor has done nothing to win a new contract, at the start of the season he scored a lot of goals but since then he has offered very little and looks a shadow of his former self, I think his wages could be better spent elsewhere.

GreenCastle
02-04-2012, 09:40 AM
GOC played his 200th game for Hibs yesterday.

He has scored 75 goals in those games :thumbsup:

He took his goal well yesterday and I still think until his court case is decided he will play with this on his mind.

I would keep him and really make sure in summer he gets himself fit again and works on his 1st touch (which I think is linked to sharpness) and he will score double the number of goals next season.

Pretty Boy
02-04-2012, 09:49 AM
If we can get Gaz and Griffiths signed up for next season with Caldwell, Handling, Doyle and a.n other also in the squad is be reasonably happy.

Be what they are both Griffith and O'Connor know where the net is and with.better service would get more goals. We also need to start nurturing our younger players so get them in the squad, that's our future not more journeymen. Doyle has a contract and may prove to be a decent enough squad player. And then one other new signing. God knows who though.

Broken Gnome
02-04-2012, 05:07 PM
Jon Daly can be akin to a cart-horse but still bag 20 goals and be a far more effective striker than Garry is.

I doubt O'Connor will regain much of whatever pace he had; he can sure as hell be much sharper and fitter than what we currently see. The problem's equally in his head though; if he's not quick he'll need to change the type of player he is. Be more effective in the air, develop a better touch, be a better passer of the ball, or just concentrate in being a penalty box striker and nothing else, whatever. If he's not willing to do that, he's not worth the relatively sizeable wage he must be on.

Keith_M
03-04-2012, 05:54 AM
How many points have we missed out on by Garry O'Connor not scoring.

Just wondering, likes.

:wink:

Tricla
03-04-2012, 07:07 AM
I wish I was as fat as GOC!

Hartson on Sportscene said GOC had looked after himself :cool2:

I don't get this 'GOC is fat' pish.

He's a stocky guy granted but not fat IMO.

It's probably his lack of form and sharpness that people brand him fat for which is unfair IMO and the tubby oafs who sit at their keyboards and slag him, who are no doubt noshing on a steak beak, should remember this!

HFC 0-7
03-04-2012, 07:16 AM
I don't get this 'GOC is fat' pish.

He's a stocky guy granted but not fat IMO.

It's probably his lack of form and sharpness that people brand him fat for which is unfair IMO and the tubby oafs who sit at their keyboards and slag him, who are no doubt noshing on a steak beak, should remember this!

For a proffesional footballer he does look a bit over weight and this is clear when you see him trying to sprint as he looks like he is towing a caravan.

PeterboroHibee
03-04-2012, 07:40 AM
Jon Daly can be akin to a cart-horse but still bag 20 goals and be a far more effective striker than Garry is.

I doubt O'Connor will regain much of whatever pace he had; he can sure as hell be much sharper and fitter than what we currently see. The problem's equally in his head though; if he's not quick he'll need to change the type of player he is. Be more effective in the air, develop a better touch, be a better passer of the ball, or just concentrate in being a penalty box striker and nothing else, whatever. If he's not willing to do that, he's not worth the relatively sizeable wage he must be on.

Daly shows what having a good team around you can do. Hes a very limited player and has no pace, but hes a good finisher. He has scored some good goals but alot of them have been put on a plate for him.

No reason why O'Connor couldnt do that for us, provided we could get a solid team around him. He could do with improving his fitness a little bit though...

supersauzee
03-04-2012, 08:54 AM
Fletcher didn't have a right foot, Riordan was lazy, Griffiths is immature and O'connor is overweight and offers nothing. Time and time again these guys get pilloried for their perceived weaknesses whilst those with a fraction of their talent get exalted for showing "effort and commitment".

Excellent point!!:agree:

Garry O' will come good again given time to get over his recent problems. He has had it very tough over the last few months with the pending court cases, his Nan (who he was very close to) sadly passed away a month or so ago and his lawyer was the O'brien guy who died a month or so back. So no wonder his head isnt right!!

blackpoolhibs
03-04-2012, 09:37 AM
Daly shows what having a good team around you can do. Hes a very limited player and has no pace, but hes a good finisher. He has scored some good goals but alot of them have been put on a plate for him.

No reason why O'Connor couldnt do that for us, provided we could get a solid team around him. He could do with improving his fitness a little bit though...

Daly has the touch of David Murphy compared to O'Conner, and holds the ball up 100% better than Garry. That in itself helps the whole team get further up the park, just having a centre forward who uses his height and strength well is a bonus.

Just having this conversation is worrying, it just should not happen, a player should not let themselves get that out of condition. And if he ever did get fit, he'd start spouting to anyone who'd listen he was signing for the huns again.

He's a player we cant count on, add his constant signing for Rangers pish, he does not deserve to play for us imo.