PDA

View Full Version : Sunshine on Leith 6th best British Fan Anthem (according to some)

spike220
30-03-2012, 01:27 AM
Well according to these folk Sunshine on Leith is number 6, I was pleased at first but I actually think we should be in the top 3.
I cant figure out who number one is yet, perhaps they will let us know next week.

I know there are some that will blame the current Manager or Board or RP that we are only number 6 :greengrin.

http://www.midfielddynamo.com/fans/top_anthems.htm (http://www.midfielddynamo.com/fans/top_anthems.htm)

kaimendhibs
30-03-2012, 01:33 AM
No 6 in Britain not bad really. Would imagine WALK ON (LIVERPOOL NOT smellies) Number 1

Hibernia&Alba
30-03-2012, 02:26 AM
Where did the Yams 'anthem' come? :devil:

Www1875hfc
30-03-2012, 05:47 AM
Where did the Yams 'anthem' come? :devil:

I dont think twirling your scarf is an Anthem ? :greengrin

But this must be the best football Anthem ever sung at a cup final.
As Steven Fletcher said, puts goose bumps on the back o yer neck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPXCNwBu_t8&feature=player_embedded

lucky
30-03-2012, 07:07 AM
No.1 in Scotland. The yams and spin offs will gutted. The Sheffield Utd seems a unusual song anyone ever heard it?

Pretty Boy
30-03-2012, 07:11 AM
Quite a good website.

CallumLaidlaw
30-03-2012, 07:11 AM
No 6 in Britain not bad really. Would imagine WALK ON (LIVERPOOL NOT smellies) Number 1

Blue moon will be up there as well

CallumLaidlaw
30-03-2012, 07:12 AM
Oops. Serves me right for replying without looking at the website!

Kato
30-03-2012, 07:13 AM
The Liquidator would sound great at Easter Road as it sounds great any time, and place anywhere.

http://youtu.be/RZqjFd99CPg

We should give it a spin against the Stickies, if we ever play them again.

lord bunberry
30-03-2012, 08:44 AM
I dont think twirling your scarf is an Anthem ? :greengrin

But this must be the best football Anthem ever sung at a cup final.
As Steven Fletcher said, puts goose bumps on the back o yer neck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPXCNwBu_t8&feature=player_embedded
I had tears in my eyes watching that again let's hope we can do it all again this season ggtth

LancashireHibby
30-03-2012, 08:49 AM
No.1 in Scotland. The yams and spin offs will gutted. The Sheffield Utd seems a unusual song anyone ever heard it?
See here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Greasy_Chip_Butty_Song) for the origins. Up there with the best original chants, but as an anthem Sunshine on Leith is top three for me.

Hibs7
30-03-2012, 09:50 AM
I wish we would sing like the cup final every home game.

frazeHFC
30-03-2012, 09:51 AM
The Swansea one will be up there. YNWA and Blue Moon will be too. 6th for us is not bad, but i reckon if we had the crowds like the teams mentioned singing it, it'd be higher.

stu in nottingham
30-03-2012, 10:40 AM
Sunshine on Leith is top for me after You'll never walk alone, maybe. It's a great anthem.

Just enjoying another link from there, 'Top ten friendly fans' (English teams) and saw Notts County in there at number three. Quite right too! The reviewer forgot the 'Trent Navigation' (the Navvy) for a pre-match pint though.

'You genuinely have to respect these fans. You just know that anyone brought up to support Notts County in the Nottingham area and who manages to stick with them has got to be a decent sort. The temptations to swap alliances to your main rivals, who've won the league, the bloody European Cup, twice, and who patronisingly view you as a little brother, their 'second favourite team', must be massive. Imagine being a Notts County fan at school - young, impressionable, and not wanting to stand-out, and yet everyone's laughing at you because you're the only one wearing the black and white kit, the one your dad insists is "character building". Well guess what ? He's right. Anyone who sticks with the Magpies through that is going to make a decent set of fans, a view only amplified by our trips to Meadow Lane. The Southbank and the Globe, 2 pubs on either side of Trent Bridge, are decent pubs where you can get a decent drink and snap before the match and always seems to have a good mix of home and away fans.'

http://www.midfielddynamo.com/fans/fans_pleasant.htm

jgl07
30-03-2012, 02:58 PM

I thought it was:

"You'll never walk again"

Or was that the Millwall anthem?

What is the Hearts' song? All the Hibees are gay?

Green Reaper
30-03-2012, 03:11 PM
Hammers must be up there "I'm forever blowing bubbles...."

jgl07
30-03-2012, 03:23 PM

It's better that the Yams variant of the song from 1986:

"We're forever blowing Doubles...."

The Leither
30-03-2012, 03:27 PM
[QUOTE=spike220;3163290]Well according to these folk Sunshine on Leith is number 6, I was pleased at first but I actually think we should be in the top 3.
I cant figure out who number one is yet, perhaps they will let us know next week.

I know there are some that will blame the current Manager or Board or RP that we are only number 6 :greengrin.

http://www.midfielddynamo.com/fans/top_anthems.h (http://www.midfielddynamo.com/fans/top_anthems.htm)

When you look at the CIS cup final video and think how good it would be. i can't help think this is our year. i am a (distant) relative of Laurie Leslie (for the older hibees). trust me. this is the one. Look at John Collins at the end of the CIS cup final and tell me this isn't going to happen again? No way! This is our year. Think about it. We are only 180 minutes away from the best sing along ever. Have faith and hope. It's gonna happen. sit back relax, and enjoy the big one!!! PS we are not going down. Sunshine on leith = drink pish in gorgie. trust me this our year.

HUTCHYHIBBY
30-03-2012, 04:04 PM

First time i've ever seen any reference to the Swansea link is on that website, I'm sure the song is taken from an early 20th century East End music hall type play.

HUTCHYHIBBY
30-03-2012, 04:13 PM
Cannae post a link from my phone, but, if Wiki can be believed (I know!) there may be some foundation to that Swansea link.

One Day Soon
30-03-2012, 04:29 PM
Its so embarrassing watching that scene from the CIS final - waterworks everywhere, every time. Had to explain myself to the kids this time.

"What's wrong daddy, why are you upset?"

"I'm not upset I'm very happy because I'm remembering one of the best days ever"

"Why are your eyes leaking then?"

"Because sometimes you are so happy that you just cry..."

God knows what would happen if we won the Scottish.

NAE NOOKIE
30-03-2012, 06:10 PM
I had tears in my eyes watching that again let's hope we can do it all again this season ggtth

Ach .... There were grown men all over the place greetin' during that sing song.

Its funny how all of the top footy anthems dont mention the name of the club concerned, but perhaps thats what makes them so poignant. I think SOL is up there, even with youll never walk alone because it is such a moving song anyway and pretty unbeatable when sung by 30,000 folk.

GGTTH

Jones28
30-03-2012, 07:32 PM
Hibs have the most celebrity fans in Scotland :greengrin

NORTHERNHIBBY
30-03-2012, 07:54 PM
As much as YNWA is decent tune, and linked to specific clubs, it is not place specific, or people specific. Would be a fair claim to say that it is almost a generic football song. . SOL is just Hibs from start to middle to end. In that sense it is original, iconic and stand-alone and only belongs in a category on its' own.

Hibernia&Alba
30-03-2012, 08:48 PM
Its so embarrassing watching that scene from the CIS final - waterworks everywhere, every time. Had to explain myself to the kids this time.

"What's wrong daddy, why are you upset?"

"I'm not upset I'm very happy because I'm remembering one of the best days ever"

"Why are your eyes leaking then?"

"Because sometimes you are so happy that you just cry..."

God knows what would happen if we won the Scottish.

It's a fantastic clip.

FranckSuzy
30-03-2012, 09:15 PM
Hibs have the most celebrity fans in Scotland :greengrin

Don't think Ian Rankin will be amused, he's a Blue Brazil fan :greengrin

StevesFamau5
30-03-2012, 09:31 PM
as a first time poster, it has to be said. the CIS final was probably my happiest moment in life.. i'd be lieing if i said i wasn't slightly weeping with a big grin on my face :greengrin
drive past hampden on the way to college most days. always brings a smile. :flag:

Phil D. Rolls
31-03-2012, 01:55 PM
The Liquidator would sound great at Easter Road as it sounds great any time, and place anywhere.

http://youtu.be/RZqjFd99CPg

We should give it a spin against the Stickies, if we ever play them again.

I quite fancy "Catch Us if You Can" by the Dave Clark 5 (google it kids) - Shrewsbury used to run onto the park while it was playing.

DH1875
31-03-2012, 02:23 PM
I had to go to a 60th birthday party last night. Was in one of Glasgow's rougher schemes and I was having one of the worst night outs ever until some big bald bloke started to sing on the kareoke. Really perkd me up, put me in a good mood and ended up having a great night. And what was he singing, well Sunshine on Leith of course. The worlds no a bad place after all :).

spike220
01-04-2012, 09:52 AM
I had to go to a 60th birthday party last night. Was in one of Glasgow's rougher schemes and I was having one of the worst night outs ever until some big bald bloke started to sing on the kareoke. Really perkd me up, put me in a good mood and ended up having a great night. And what was he singing, well Sunshine on Leith of course. The worlds no a bad place after all :).

Yes I must admit it is great pick me up song. I think I will play it now!

GGTTH

Bostonhibby
01-04-2012, 10:07 AM
Sunshine on Leith is top for me after You'll never walk alone, maybe. It's a great anthem.

Just enjoying another link from there, 'Top ten friendly fans' (English teams) and saw Notts County in there at number three. Quite right too! The reviewer forgot the 'Trent Navigation' (the Navvy) for a pre-match pint though.

'You genuinely have to respect these fans. You just know that anyone brought up to support Notts County in the Nottingham area and who manages to stick with them has got to be a decent sort. The temptations to swap alliances to your main rivals, who've won the league, the bloody European Cup, twice, and who patronisingly view you as a little brother, their 'second favourite team', must be massive. Imagine being a Notts County fan at school - young, impressionable, and not wanting to stand-out, and yet everyone's laughing at you because you're the only one wearing the black and white kit, the one your dad insists is "character building". Well guess what ? He's right. Anyone who sticks with the Magpies through that is going to make a decent set of fans, a view only amplified by our trips to Meadow Lane. The Southbank and the Globe, 2 pubs on either side of Trent Bridge, are decent pubs where you can get a decent drink and snap before the match and always seems to have a good mix of home and away fans.'

http://www.midfielddynamo.com/fans/fans_pleasant.htm

:agree: As a neutral living in Leicester I went to the City ground quite a few times and it was hard not be a bit sucked in by Forest and what Cloughie was doing but in recent years when picking semi local matches from Lincs. I now tend towards County for a better all round day out, ironically the guy I go with is a disillusioned Forest fan who has got it in his head he is going to go to County until something or other changes at Forest! He is also massively against the money conspiracy that he sees the EPL as so does not want Forest to go up there. Troubled I feel! Mind you he is from Newark.