PDA

View Full Version : The Scotsman Tomorrow

johnbc70
28-03-2012, 10:12 PM
Good to see someone at our club talking some sense. (Admins feel free to merge if appropriate)

http://twitpic.com/92kde4

IWasThere2016
28-03-2012, 10:25 PM
Good to see someone at our club talking some sense. (Admins feel free to merge if appropriate)

http://twitpic.com/92kde4

Cannae read the print but agree totally with the headline - so here's hoping its a sign of an anti-OF/SKY stance emerging.

WhileTheChief..
28-03-2012, 10:47 PM
Good to see. Hopefully Hibs feel as strongly about this as Killie and the Pars do.

blackpoolhibs
28-03-2012, 10:50 PM
Good to see. Hopefully Hibs feel as strongly about this as Killie and the Pars do.

Hibs do, Rod actually said this to me on Saturday.

GreenCastle
28-03-2012, 10:55 PM
Hopefully the clubs outside the Old Firm do actually take action and all this just isn't paper talk.

There never has been a better time to change the shape of Scottish Football and create a more competitive future - it has to be done soon while Rangers are weak and before the game dies completely up here.

Only time will tell...:agree:

WhileTheChief..
28-03-2012, 11:11 PM
Hibs do, Rod actually said this to me on Saturday.

That's excellent news. Let's hope he and the other club chairmen can finally agree on the way forward, make a stance and see it through. I'd really like RP to come out publicly like Yorkston and Johnstone have but this seems like a good start.

stoobs
29-03-2012, 02:44 AM
Read all about it!

http://www.scotsman.com/news/supporters-more-important-than-the-tv-companies-insists-hibs-md-1-2201925

NAE NOOKIE
29-03-2012, 06:53 AM
Well said Fyfe. That list of kick off times is a joke.

Steve20
29-03-2012, 07:06 AM
Out of interest, when did we last play either of the Old Firm on a Saturday at 3pm?

PeeJay
29-03-2012, 07:21 AM
Yeah, well said Fyfe for saying the blindingly obvious...

Spike Mandela
29-03-2012, 07:31 AM
Hate to be cynical (he lied):greengrin but are season ticket renewals due?

Tell the supporters what they want to hear but as soon as a tv company threatens to withdraw any cash things will change.

Beefster
29-03-2012, 07:57 AM

Tell the supporters what they want to hear but as soon as a tv company threatens to withdraw any cash things will change.

I'm a cynical auld bugger too so my first thought was that ST sales obviously aren't going very well. I agree with everything that he's said though.

Seveno
29-03-2012, 08:05 AM

Fyfe Hyland told me in an email that Hibs voted against the last TV deal. The Tache was very strong on thsi point on the recent TV debate.

A few more bums on seats more than compensates for the loss of TV revenue.

DarrenSQH
29-03-2012, 08:22 AM
I think the club should be more worried about all our games kicking off next year at 3 on a Saturday at the moment.

hibsbollah
29-03-2012, 08:29 AM
Id estimated we take three times more from gate receipts than we do from the tv deal, that report says its four times more.

In simple terms, the TV deal is only equivalent to an extra 2 or 3 thousand spectators at every home game.

HibbyDave
29-03-2012, 08:34 AM

:top marks
What he said. Why would anyone renew just now when we don't even know what division we will be playing in?

Gatecrasher
29-03-2012, 08:58 AM
What he said. Why would anyone renew just now when we don't even know what division we will be playing in?
I'm just gonna put this one out there as a suggestion.
Maybe people are renewing because they support Hibs?
Its a bit out there but it's a possibility

Mikeystewart
29-03-2012, 09:09 AM
Supporters more important than the TV companies, insists Hibs MD

It is quite a political answer, he isn't exactly going to say the "fans aren't as important as TV", especially during a season tickets sales period.

maybe its quite a cynical view that I have.

blackpoolhibs
29-03-2012, 09:24 AM
I'm just gonna put this one out there as a suggestion.
Maybe people are renewing because they support Hibs?
Its a bit out there but it's a possibility

I'm a Hibs supporter, but i'm not renewing next season in the SPL. Yet if we are relegated, i would buy one.

happiehibbie
29-03-2012, 09:26 AM
I think the club should be more worried about all our games kicking off next year at 3 on a Saturday at the moment.

TBH the last time we went down crowds where up the football was better and we all enjoyed it

WindyMiller
29-03-2012, 09:33 AM
Id estimated we take three times more from gate receipts than we do from the tv deal, that report says its four times more.

In simple terms, the TV deal is only equivalent to an extra 2 or 3 thousand spectators at every home game.

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?231478-Sky-to-pull-out-of-%A380m-deal-if-OF-not-in-the-SPL&p=3157739&viewfull=1#post3157739

:agree:

Lucius Apuleius
29-03-2012, 09:33 AM
TBH the last time we went down crowds where up the football was better and we all enjoyed it

Absolute nonsense on 2 out of 3 statements. The football was better

pentlando
29-03-2012, 09:37 AM
I'm a Hibs supporter, but i'm not renewing next season in the SPL. Yet if we are relegated, i would buy one.

Are you a 'failurehunter'? :greengrin

On a serious note though, would Hibs change their prices in the event of relegation? I'll be getting mines next week to take advantage of the free cup top up...who knows, we could have some challenge cup games!

JimBHibees
29-03-2012, 09:37 AM

Yep really enjoyed losing at home to Stranraer. Such joy. :greengrin

green&left
29-03-2012, 09:40 AM
Absolute nonsense on 2 out of 3 statements. The football was better

Had the 6th biggest average in the country that season, with crowds being down 15% compared to the season before (Bear in mind we would've missed healthy away crowds from Rangers, Celtic, Hearts & Aberdeen x 2). Probably talking the same amount of Hibs fans that season though.

Incidentally, the same season Killie averaged almost 10,900, Dundee Utd over 9300, Motherwell well almost 8700, St Johnstone 7000 and Dunfermline 7500. Look at the average home support for the above teams now...

Lucius Apuleius
29-03-2012, 09:55 AM
Had the 6th biggest average in the country that season, with crowds being down 15% compared to the season before (Bear in mind we would've missed healthy away crowds from Rangers, Celtic, Hearts & Aberdeen x 2). Probably talking the same amount of Hibs fans that season though.

Incidentally, the same season Killie averaged almost 10,900, Dundee Utd over 9300, Motherwell well almost 8700, St Johnstone 7000 and Dunfermline 7500. Look at the average home support for the above teams now...

Not disputing where we came in Scottish crowd averages. Do dispute crowds were up from previous season and it certainly was not enjoyable.

Gatecrasher
29-03-2012, 09:58 AM
But iirc your reason is due to KO times and the ability to make tv games not because of the division we are in

Twa Cairpets
29-03-2012, 10:18 AM

Its great being anti-everythign all the time. They stay shtum on TV and it'd be "why dont they take a stand?", they sat something and it's a cynical ploy to sell tickets. Could it just possibly be that this is Hibs stance?

blackpoolhibs
29-03-2012, 10:19 AM
But iirc your reason is due to KO times and the ability to make tv games not because of the division we are in

:agree:

Lucius Apuleius
29-03-2012, 10:20 AM
Its great being anti-everythign all the time. They stay shtum on TV and it'd be "why dont they take a stand?", they sat something and it's a cynical ploy to sell tickets. Could it just possibly be that this is Hibs stance?

Nah, far too simplistic TC. There must ALWAYS be a hidden agenda in anything Hibs says.

degenerated
29-03-2012, 10:54 AM
Out of interest, when did we last play either of the Old Firm on a Saturday at 3pm?

Any time we play them at their home grounds it's 3pm on a Saturday because they realise the value of money through the turnstyles, it's only really their away games that are on at silly times so that any loss of revenue through the turnstyle affects only the other "less important" clubs and not them. The exception to this rule is the old firm games which could really be played any time without any real affect on the attendance.

blackpoolhibs
29-03-2012, 11:05 AM
Any time we play them at their home grounds it's 3pm on a Saturday because they realise the value of money through the turnstyles, it's only really their away games that are on at silly times so that any loss of revenue through the turnstyle affects only the other "less important" clubs and not them. The exception to this rule is the old firm games which could really be played any time without any real affect on the attendance.

Nail on head, we really dont count in sky and huntic land, they think we should just accept the scraps and be thankful.

Andy74
29-03-2012, 11:07 AM
Not disputing where we came in Scottish crowd averages. Do dispute crowds were up from previous season and it certainly was not enjoyable.

Once we were down there it was very enjoyable. Trips to places I've never been, seeing Hibs in and around the top of the league, playing good stuff, some great players, celebrating on the pitch v Hamilton and getting a trophy presented at ER. I enjoyed all of that.

I'll bet Dunfermline fans enjoyed last year more than this.

TornadoHibby
29-03-2012, 11:12 AM
Once we were down there it was very enjoyable. Trips to places I've never been, seeing Hibs in and around the top of the league, playing good stuff, some great players, celebrating on the pitch v Hamilton and getting a trophy presented at ER. I enjoyed all of that.

I'll bet Dunfermline fans enjoyed last year more than this.

Whilst I agree with what you say Andy, I'm not sure that I want to be in the position where my options relating to watching Hibs play next season involve visiting or re-visiting some of the First Division teams and their stadiums again rather than the familiar SPL ones as I don't believe the experience would be as good for us as it was last time! :confused:

Twa Cairpets
29-03-2012, 11:26 AM
Whilst I agree with what you say Andy, I'm not sure that I want to be in the position where my options relating to watching Hibs play next season involve visiting or re-visiting some of the First Division teams and their stadiums again rather than the familiar SPL ones as I don't believe the experience would be as good for us as it was last time! :confused:

Yep, I agree, although it was fun last time.

Hearing something like "SPL Ross County have been given a home tie against 1st Division Hibs, so must fancy their chances of progressing" would be a real nasty boot in the hee-haws

Andy74
29-03-2012, 11:26 AM

That's correct, I'm just disputing the fact that it wasn't enjoyable at the time.

Part/Time Supporter
29-03-2012, 11:35 AM

Presuming you mean at Easter Road, because almost every Hibs game away to those two has a "normal" k/o time (a few have been in midweek recently), the last one I can think of would be the Huns game after the split in 2006/07. Of course the league was already over by then.

GORDONSMITH7
29-03-2012, 11:37 AM
Resolution

St Patrick’s Branch of the Hibernian Supporters Association condemns the utter disregard for Hibs fans attending the game against Inverness Caledonian Thistle on Sunday the 1st April. This game has had its kick off time changed twice now to accommodate ESPN.

Many fans who booked early return train tickets are in the position that they now face a massive £50 single for a train ticket following the game

Similarly fans who booked into hotels on the Saturday because of the ridiculous 12.00 kick off, know that with the new 15.00 kick off, they need not have bothered.

Actions like this do not help the already dwindling crowds in Scottish football.

The mover of the resolution contacted the SPL in a personal capacity and received this rather bland reply.

Thank you for your email regarding the Inverness CT v Hibernian match.

I can fully understand your frustrations and can only apologise for the
difficulties this change has caused.

Football is nothing without the supporters and moving fixtures is not
something we do lightly. It is deeply regrettable that you have been
inconvenienced on this occasion.

Please feel free to call me on0141 620 4140 if you have any further
queries.

Best wishes for the rest of the season and beyond.

David

13/03/12

'Thanks for your email.

You will forgive me if I do not get into responding to an email sent to you from the Scottish FA. But I do agree the kick off time is ridiculous – we also want a kick off at 3pm on the Saturday. I am as frustrated as you at the kick off time, and there needs to be more balance between the broadcast requirements under the current contracts and supporter preferences. At the moment it seems to be skewed too far toward TV.

It is another reason that we, as a club, have to work harder with the authorities and broadcasters to get some consistency and fairness for supporters if and when games get moved.

Thanks again for writing in, your feedback will be used as we move forward.'

Regards

Fife

Good on you Fife, your public pronouncement on this untenable, self destructive situation is very welcome by St Patrick's Branch members and salute all Hibs fans who will be there despite our present poor performances and these disgraceful hurdles that have been put in your way.

BIG G

Andy74
29-03-2012, 11:44 AM
Resolution

St Patrick’s Branch of the Hibernian Supporters Association condemns the utter disregard for Hibs fans attending the game against Inverness Caledonian Thistle on Sunday the 1st April. This game has had its kick off time changed twice now to accommodate ESPN.

Many fans who booked early return train tickets are in the position that they now face a massive £50 single for a train ticket following the game

Similarly fans who booked into hotels on the Saturday because of the ridiculous 12.00 kick off, know that with the new 15.00 kick off, they need not have bothered.

Actions like this do not help the already dwindling crowds in Scottish football.

The mover of the resolution contacted the SPL in a personal capacity and received this rather bland reply.

queries.

David

13/03/12

'Thanks for your email.

You will forgive me if I do not get into responding to an email sent to you from the Scottish FA. But I do agree the kick off time is ridiculous – we also want a kick off at 3pm on the Saturday. I am as frustrated as you at the kick off time, and there needs to be more balance between the broadcast requirements under the current contracts and supporter preferences. At the moment it seems to be skewed too far toward TV.

It is another reason that we, as a club, have to work harder with the authorities and broadcasters to get some consistency and fairness for supporters if and when games get moved.

Regards

Fife

Good on you Fife, your public pronouncement on this untenable, self destructive situation is very welcome by St Patrick's Branch members and salute all Hibs fans who will be there despite our present poor performances and these disgraceful hurdles that have been put in your way.

BIG G

A resolution at a supporters branch eh? Each to their own I suppose.

Lucius Apuleius
29-03-2012, 11:50 AM

That's correct, I'm just disputing the fact that it wasn't enjoyable at the time.

Enjoyable? Winning games was enjoyable. Watching the players we had at the time tear teams apart, that was enjoyable. The overall experience of playing in the 1st Division as opposed to the SPL, ***** enjoyment.

Lucius Apuleius
29-03-2012, 11:52 AM
Resolution

queries.

David

13/03/12

'Thanks for your email.

Regards

Fife

BIG G

You are not going to get a load of folks agreeing with you big man. seemingly it is all a smokescreen to get us to but more STs. Anyway, been a long time, don't think I have seen you since Sweden.

Steve20
29-03-2012, 12:10 PM
Presuming you mean at Easter Road, because almost every Hibs game away to those two has a "normal" k/o time (a few have been in midweek recently), the last one I can think of would be the Huns game after the split in 2006/07. Of course the league was already over by then.

Yeah was meaning at Easter Road. The last one I could think of the top of my head was Zitelli winner in 2000 but I knew there had been at least one or two since then, just didn't know when. Cheers.

It's another reason why I might not renew. I don't enjoy lunchtime kick offs.

GORDONSMITH7
29-03-2012, 12:23 PM
You are not going to get a load of folks agreeing with you big man. seemingly it is all a smokescreen to get us to but more STs. Anyway, been a long time, don't think I have seen you since Sweden.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Drw4aZhdT8

Catch you sometime mate.

BIG G

jgl07
29-03-2012, 02:21 PM

Maybe some of us might prefer to watch Hibs in Division 1?

No ugly sisters, no Yams. It's all looking quite attractive.

Andy74
29-03-2012, 03:28 PM
Whatever league we are in we still need people watching don't we? What difference would it make? I go to see Hibs not the opposition.

IWasThere2016
29-03-2012, 03:31 PM
Maybe some of us might prefer to watch Hibs in Division 1?

No ugly sisters, no Yams. It's all looking quite attractive.

We might no get a preference!

Andy74
29-03-2012, 03:34 PM
We might no get a preference!

True.