PDA

View Full Version : Ones that you got right.......

lyonhibs
28-03-2012, 08:06 PM
In relation to the earlier thread, what are the players who you've seen for either being pish or great when - at least some of - popular opinion pointed the other way. Statements like "I always thought that Messi fellow would make it" aren't quite what I'm after :greengrin

I'll start - I had an inkling that Gathuessi was a terrible player before he proved it beyond all reasonable doubt.

nonshinyfinish
28-03-2012, 08:09 PM
I snapped up Pablo Aimar in Champ Man a good two years before Valencia bought him.

Sammy7nil
28-03-2012, 08:11 PM
Pat MGinley saw him in the reserves and told my mates he looked great before he had made his debut

Sylar
28-03-2012, 08:12 PM
Gerard Pique - never quite got why he "wasn't good enough" to get into the Man Utd first team, having seem him play a couple of friendly games in Scotland.

Pretty Boy
28-03-2012, 08:59 PM
Chtistophe Berra.

I know we all like to comment he's pish etc but a premier League player (for now) and a full internationalist isn't too shabby. I played with him at school and always knew he'd make it, good player an attitude.

Also trained with Craig Gordon when he was about 16 and knew he'd go all the way too.

From a Hibs point of view I was pretty adamant Jay Shields wasn't the player some proclaimed him to be. I also raised a few questions about MaKalambay after a couple of friendlies when everyone else was still in awe of him. I'm willing to accept he's still a young guy though, and a nice guy at that so I hope he proves me wrong.

Viva_Palmeiras
28-03-2012, 09:06 PM
Debatable for some ...

whitty. Saw him star in a preseason game against Craigroyston at ST Marks Park. Got forward well and iirc scored direct from a freekick. Stand out that day.
Blobby was spending alot of time building up Garrys confidence lots of encouragement. I think hemgot the last goal towards the end. All this after things not quite going right for him during the rest of the game.

Northernhibee
28-03-2012, 09:13 PM
Always rated big Sol Bamba as one of our best central defenders in the last ten years, even when he was being derided as "Bombscare Bamba".

Don't see where Hibs fans got that from, his quality was blatantly obvious.

Viva_Palmeiras
28-03-2012, 09:22 PM
Always rated big Sol Bamba as one of our best central defenders in the last ten years, even when he was being derided as "Bombscare Bamba".

Don't see where Hibs fans got that from, his quality was blatantly obvious.

"bombscare", "liability" and "clown" tend to be IMO overused, sensationalist sound bytes that arefast losing their meaning and impact.

Hibs Class
28-03-2012, 10:02 PM
Never saw the appeal of Billy Findlay and was amazed when we extended his contract by a ridiculous length - somewhere between 5 & 7 years IIRC.

frazeHFC
28-03-2012, 10:08 PM
When we first signed Osbourne a lot said he looked poor. All the people i go to ER with were hinting it, but i kept sticking up for him. I could see he was a good player, and he has gone on to be very good imo. :agree:

Shrekko
28-03-2012, 10:09 PM
Never saw the appeal of Billy Findlay and was amazed when we extended his contract by a ridiculous length - somewhere between 5 & 7 years IIRC.

I think he was a hugely talented player- probably not suited to Scottish football.

As for the duffers, I thought within minutes that Zarabi was an absolute nightmare. I remember people on this forum comparing him to Roberto Carlos after his debut though!

1two
29-03-2012, 12:34 AM
When we first signed Osbourne a lot said he looked poor. All the people i go to ER with were hinting it, but i kept sticking up for him. I could see he was a good player, and he has gone on to be very good imo. :agree:

Your opinion is unfounded though

He has not went on to show anything, other than being a decent player in an otherwise pish team

Haymaker
29-03-2012, 01:17 AM
I saw a lanky striker play against Fulham when I was still at school. He was on loan IIRC at Qpr. Everyone said he was ***** and never good enough. I said he had the ability and would make it as a top flight player and England international.

Peter crouch.

Scouse Hibee
29-03-2012, 12:00 PM
Maka - After watching his awkward unorthodox style, I said to the brother in-law this guy doesn't even look like a goalie. He'll never make it at Hibs, furthermore he'll never make it anywhere else as a number one. :whistle:

Hibbyradge
29-03-2012, 12:02 PM
Amadou Konte.

Hopeless from the start.

Ritchie
29-03-2012, 12:03 PM
Dobbie - should never have let him go so easily.

The_Exile
29-03-2012, 12:04 PM
Ian Murray, his first season he was played out of position on the left and got dogs abuse, you could tell he was quality though, kept putting his foot on the ball, looking for the pass, keeping things simple, the fact he was a centre mid stuck out like a sore thumb and he excelled when he eventually got moved there.

dangermouse
29-03-2012, 02:29 PM
The first time I saw Callum Booth I thought he would make it. The again, I also thought Matt Thornhill would be a big player for us and regularly said so on here. :rolleyes:

pentlando
29-03-2012, 02:37 PM
Remember seeing Boozy for the first time in a friendly against Cardiff at ER. Initially put him in the same league as the Latapys and Sauzee's. Whilst not reaching those heights, still was a class act for us.

Remember telling loads of folk that Gary Caldwell would make it for Scotland when he was with us, had so much composure for a young centre back at the time.

Elephant Stone
29-03-2012, 02:42 PM

I don't think you've got a "told you so" moment there, mate. As far as central midfielders go I can't recall a regular starter with as poor distribution as Osbourne, especially over the last month or so where it's become infuriating IMO. I really don't rate him and I think he'll need to be a bit more consistent before even the folk who rate him can consider him to be a decent player for the team.

And as for folk saying he's poor, I think he's had a pretty easy ride from the fans over his stay.

MB62
29-03-2012, 02:44 PM
Debatable for some ...

whitty. Saw him star in a preseason game against Craigroyston at ST Marks Park. Got forward well and iirc scored direct from a freekick. Stand out that day.
Blobby was spending alot of time building up Garrys confidence lots of encouragement. I think hemgot the last goal towards the end. All this after things not quite going right for him during the rest of the game.

Coincidentally, I saw Scotty Brown playing for us at St. Marks Park against Livingstone (U18's I think) and thought that laddie was going to be a star. Even that day, he was a cocky wee bugger, telling his team mates what to do and giving the impression he was so much better than everybody else.
In that same game, Livi had two players, I think they were brothers, ginger hair and dominated our forwards from the central defensice positions. I think one maybe went on to play for Ross County but don't know about the other one.

Steven Fletcher from a youngster at Hibs, despite my mates protests that he was crap and to one fitted :-)

On the other side, I thought Kevin McKee was going to be a superstar but never quite made the big time.

HibbyAndy
29-03-2012, 05:08 PM
Zurabi,Quite convincingly the worst ever football player i have witnessed at Easter rd.How this guy makes a living masqaurading as professional football player really is disturbing. A truly hapless player.

Aldo
29-03-2012, 06:03 PM
Zurabi,Quite convincingly the worst ever football player i have witnessed at Easter rd.How this guy makes a living masqaurading as professional football player really is disturbing. A truly hapless player.

You can add David Elliot and Paul Tosh to the above Andy!!

lyonhibs
29-03-2012, 06:17 PM

Shut wingers down like he had concrete in his boots, and liked to hide behind his centre half and - very slowly - sort of emerge as the winger got into a crossing position, by which stage it was always too late. Also, persistently slapped players on the arse as they were getting subbed off, and sometimes even when they weren't......:guesswho:

NORTHERNHIBBY
29-03-2012, 06:18 PM
AOB. Saw him in a pre-season v Brechin City and thought he was a one trick pony. Only thing I got wrong was that one was a one trick donkey.