PDA

View Full Version : Be honest you were wrong!

Scouse Hibee
28-03-2012, 07:27 PM
We've all got/had differing opinions on the ability or potential of players we've seen both live and on TV. Many of us think we've been watching football long enough to know a good from a dud when we see one despite overwhelming opinions from others to the contrary.

Be honest! Which ones did you get so wrong you're nearly ashamed to admit it? :greengrin

Liam89
28-03-2012, 07:28 PM
Alan o'brien :greengrin

easty
28-03-2012, 07:32 PM
I remember when Webster was first in the Yams team, I thought he was dire and would amount to nothing. Turned out to be a pretty decent player, somewhat unlucky with injuries.

nonshinyfinish
28-03-2012, 07:33 PM
In the 20 minutes Sean O'Hanlon played against Celtc before going off injured at the start of the season, I thought he was really good. :hide:

Spike Mandela
28-03-2012, 07:33 PM
I remember after the season opener a 0-0 at Tynecastle and a glaring miss from Didier Agathe walking out the stadium telling anyone that would listen that I thought he was first division pish. He won the treble with Celtic that year.:rolleyes:

LaMotta
28-03-2012, 07:36 PM
I remember after the season opener a 0-0 at Tynecastle and a glaring miss from Didier Agathe walking out the stadium telling anyone that would listen that I thought he was first division pish. He won the treble with Celtic that year.:rolleyes:

:agree: Me too.

And then the opposite , when I thought Brian Kerr was going to be a star after his debut at PBS

Hibernia&Alba
A couple of years ago I said Man United needed to kick Nani out the door and buy a proper winger. He's done ok since.

Hibercelona
Konte.

I get up beat about every new signing. (I really should learn better)

Onceinawhile
28-03-2012, 07:38 PM
Makas first game at tynie (0-1) Kerr, I thought, wow this is what we've been waiting for. A huge dominant keeper. Sadly not.

jodjam
28-03-2012, 07:39 PM
When David Murphy played a game as a trialist in a pre-season friendly. He looked so over-weight i reckoned he was never going to make it.

SteveHFC
28-03-2012, 07:39 PM
Brian Kerr. Thought he was a brilliant player for the first few months :greengrin

Eyrie
28-03-2012, 07:42 PM
I'm not admitting to Paul Tosh, so I'll say Chris Reid. Just hoping the next time this question is asked I won't be saying Claros.

stantonhibby
28-03-2012, 07:42 PM
Brian Kerr. Thought he was a brilliant player for the first few months :greengrin

I never really rated Archibald or Mixu until I saw what they did for us.

Hibernia&Alba
28-03-2012, 07:45 PM
Mind when Rangers paid £12 million for Flo. I was dazzled by the fee and said he would score forty a season in the SPL. Jesus.

Sylar
Ronaldo - when he first joined Man Utd, he clearly had an ego and continually lost the ball trying to be too smart and I thought he'd eventually end up being punted on loan or sold.

Never thought he'd amount to being one of the best players on the planet!

Hibeesmad
Thought rankin was crap, been one of Dundee utd's top players this season!

greenlex
28-03-2012, 07:46 PM
I thought Henrik Larsson was a donkey the first time I saw him.

Northernhibee
28-03-2012, 07:54 PM
In the 20 minutes Sean O'Hanlon played against Celtc before going off injured at the start of the season, I thought he was really good. :hide:

Me too...

I still maintain that Colin Nish is a good player and could still do a job for us, but I'm constantly reminded the opposite...

CallumLaidlaw
28-03-2012, 07:57 PM
Jonathan johannson, Ed De Graaf, Kurtis Byrne (saw him 2 or 3 times for the U19's and he looked the real deal)

Sammy7nil
28-03-2012, 07:57 PM
Deeks 1st couple of appearances as sub I tthought too light weight he will never make !

Bobby Williamson agreed and tried a swap deal with Bobby Mann the rest is is history :greengrin

SteveHFC
28-03-2012, 08:00 PM
Deeks 1st couple of appearances as sub I tthought too light weight he will never make !

Bobby Williamson agreed and tried a swap deal with Ross Tokley the rest is is history :greengrin

It was Bobby Mann he tried to swap with Riordan :rolleyes:

BoltonHibee
28-03-2012, 08:01 PM
Eidur Gudjohnsen

lyonhibs
28-03-2012, 08:02 PM
I though Alan O'Brien would do a really good job for us. No, honestly.

Thought Sean O'Hanlon was exactly what we'd been crying out for - until I saw him play

Thought - and frankly still do - that Antoine Curier was a decent player

I initially thought that Beckham was a 1 trick ponce.

blackpoolhibs
28-03-2012, 08:03 PM
Jamie Boyd, thought he was decent but turns out he was just as bad as his dad.

Sammy7nil
It was Bobby Mann he tried to swap with Riordan :rolleyes:

LOL even better my memory is shot :greengrin

jgl07

Bobby Williamson agreed and tried a swap deal with Ross Tokley the rest is is history :greengrin

This was an urban myth.

In any event it was supposed to Bobby Mann being swapped Whittakar and Riordan.

I don't belieive a word of it.

Joe's ice cream
28-03-2012, 08:12 PM
Kevin Thompson for me, never fully appreciated what he gave to the team until he left us

Pretty Boy
28-03-2012, 08:14 PM
Called Mixu a fat has been after his debut for us, never been so happy to be wrong as his goals helped fire us back to the Premier League and then that hat trick

Agree with a poster above I did, and still do, reckon Antoine Courier is a decent player. Maybe a few attitude issues though.

I thought De Graaf looked ok in a few games but he was so past it, it was frankly embarrassing.

I was convinced Wotherspoon would go on to be a cracking player, starting to have doubts.

I never really thought Iniesta would cut it at the top level when I first saw him break into the Barcelona team. That's probably the biggest lack of judgement I've made football wise.

zlatan
28-03-2012, 08:15 PM

We crumbled after he went off that day tbf, so I'm with you on that one.

Rankin is, and always will be, woeful.

Sammy7nil
28-03-2012, 08:15 PM
I was with my dad at Powderhall when he was speaking with Archie Buchanan (played with the FF) he told my dad hibs had a young guy about to break in to the 1st team he would Captain Scotland and become a great step forward Benny Brasil :agree::greengrin

To be fair he was okay and got a load of uncalled for stick at times.

zlatan
28-03-2012, 08:16 PM
This was an urban myth.

In any event it was supposed to Bobby Mann being swapped Whittakar and Riordan.

I don't belieive a word of it.

Now, he's returned to an arena where he's absolutely adored. It's still a matter of some regret that I missed out on the chance to work with him when I was manager at Inverness.

Then Hibs manager Bobby Williamson desperately wanted to sign Bobby Mann, but didn't have the money to buy him.

So we discussed a swap deal and Bobby offered us two players from his youth team.

My assistant Donald Park and I picked Riordan and Steven Whittaker but the deal couldn't have been completed in time that particular January.

However, Bobby was still keen to agree something for the following season and there were further negotiations later.

Riordan, though, got into the Hibs team for the last six or seven games and scored five goals. The rest is history.

Credit to both Riordan and Whittaker for how their careers have progressed since.

But Riordan was so nearly an Inverness player.

The boy had a lucky escape!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/2765263/Celts-hell-can-make-you-Deek.html?print=yes

100% true

lyonhibs
28-03-2012, 08:17 PM
Called Mixu a fat has been after his debut for us, never been so happy to be wrong as his goals helped fire us back to the Premier League and then that hat trick

Agree with a poster above I did, and still do, reckon Antoine Courier is a decent player. Maybe a few attitude issues though.

I thought De Graaf looked ok in a few games but he was so past it, it was frankly embarrassing.

I was convinced Wotherspoon would go on to be a cracking player, starting to have doubts.

I never really thought Iniesta would cut it at the top level when I first saw him break into the Barcelona team. That's probably the biggest lack of judgement I've made football wise.

:faf: We have a winner!!! :doh::greengrin

easty
28-03-2012, 08:18 PM

I still think Wotherspoon will be a good player.

coco22
28-03-2012, 08:21 PM
i predicted that alan o'brien would be a huge player for us to pat stanton at a dinner, he said 'we'll see about that son'. oh, we did....

jgl07
28-03-2012, 08:26 PM
http://www.thesun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/2765263/Celts-hell-can-make-you-Deek.html?print=yes

100% true

It was in the Sun five years after the fact.

Must obviously be true!

Hibernia&Alba
28-03-2012, 08:26 PM

I was about to say the same. It's a superb epic fail :greengrin

Pretty Boy
28-03-2012, 08:28 PM

In my defense, and I'm not trying to wriggle out of it, I was watching Barcelona weekly in the flesh at the time and i was far from the only one in the city thinking it at the time. There was a pretty strong rumour Rijkaard was close to selling him to Man Utd.

It was when he scored a stunner for Spain against England at Old Trafford and left Englands 'world class' midfield chasing shadows I finally accepted he had something about him.

zlatan
28-03-2012, 08:34 PM

Must obviously be true!

Well if you're not going to believe a full anecdote, written by the manager that was trying to broker the deal at the time then I sense it may take something special to convince you.

frazeHFC
28-03-2012, 08:51 PM
He is still young so has time, but when i first saw Bojan playing for Barcelona a few years ago when he was 16/17 i always raved about him, saying he would go onto become one of the best strikers in the world. He has since seemed to disappear and is at Roma not exactly scoring for fun.

lyonhibs
28-03-2012, 09:15 PM
Who was that Serbian winger that Man U signed a couple of seasons ago - Tosic or something?

Don't know where I got this from, but at the time I thought he would really shine in the Premiership. Now he's doing alright at CSKA Moscow, but nowhere near the heights I thought he could achieve.

Pretty Boy
28-03-2012, 09:27 PM
Who was that Serbian winger that Man U signed a couple of seasons ago - Tosic or something?

Don't know where I got this from, but at the time I thought he would really shine in the Premiership. Now he's doing alright at CSKA Moscow, but nowhere near the heights I thought he could achieve.

Zoran Tosic.

Rumour was that United punted him because they were tied into a deal to sign one of his team mates, Lsajic or something, as well and were struggling to finance it because of their debt level at the time.

frazeHFC
28-03-2012, 09:30 PM
Zoran Tosic.

Rumour was that United punted him because they were tied into a deal to sign one of his team mates, Lsajic or something, as well and were struggling to finance it because of their debt level at the time.

Adem Ljajic......now doing alright at Fiorentina. Yeah i thought him and Tosic would go on to become big players.

Diclonius
28-03-2012, 09:36 PM
Thought Joe Keenan was going to be top quality after his home debut v Falkirk. Continued to wonder why he was sparingly picked after that until he missed from five yards against St Mirren.

fat freddy
28-03-2012, 10:01 PM
i thought victor paalson was going to be a top class player...i told a friend that he would be away from easter rd within a year as he was too good for us...i was right about one thing.

Peevemor
29-03-2012, 06:07 AM

Must obviously be true!

The story came out before either had played for the first team.

NAE NOOKIE
29-03-2012, 06:45 AM
Paul Hartley.

Alex Trager
29-03-2012, 08:20 AM

I wouldn't worry too much about thinking he's rubbish. He is and has been since i've watched him. Rubbish

Mon Dieu4
29-03-2012, 08:30 AM
Before the 2002 world cup i stated Oliver Khan was overrated and not even that good, He pretty much got them to the final on his own

hibsbollah
29-03-2012, 08:35 AM
We've all got/had differing opinions on the ability or potential of players we've seen both live and on TV. Many of us think we've been watching football long enough to know a good from a dud when we see one despite overwhelming opinions from others to the contrary.

Be honest! Which ones did you get so wrong you're nearly ashamed to admit it? :greengrin

Jonatan Johansen. i saw him score a peach of a goal for finland v getmany outrunning philip lahm to cooly slot it away, i couldnt wait to see him play at ER; im still waiting.

Thought Benji would be 20 goal+ in 2007/8; he got injured did ramafan and scored once. I was 100% sure Thicot would be a player judging by his pedigree.

blackpoolhibs
29-03-2012, 09:25 AM
Wrong, what is this?

IFONLY
29-03-2012, 09:41 AM
i thought victor paalson was going to be a top class player...i told a friend that he would be away from easter rd within a year as he was too good for us...i was right about one thing.

Me too, I thought that we would be selling him on for about 4 million and told anyone who would listen.

pentlando
29-03-2012, 09:43 AM
Whatever happened to Freddy Adu? Most fuss I can remember about a young player, think he's ended up having more loans than the Hearts first team have taken out this season :greengrin

As far as Hibs are concerned, when I was younger I was ridiculously excited when we signed Ray Wilkins. Spent most of the time treading water in centre mid IIRC!

I've seen a few folk saying they labelled players as future world class players. I had one of those in Solomon Kalou's first season with Chelsea, was convinced he was set to become the next biggest thing. Still a class player but nowhere near how good I thought he might be!

Steve-O
29-03-2012, 09:49 AM
I said Kenny Miller was garbage and too lightweight when I first saw him, and thought Whittaker had absolutely no chance of making it!

Andy74
29-03-2012, 09:56 AM

None that I recall :greengrin

lord bunberry
29-03-2012, 10:09 AM
Mines would be mark mcgraw I had high hopes for him especially after he came on against Celtic in the cup but sadly that was his finest moment

West Upper
29-03-2012, 02:19 PM
Giovani dos Santos when he left Barcelona to join Tottenham, I thought he would be a star in the BPL. Since then he has been sent on Loan to Ipswich Town, Galatasaray and Racing Santander. Scoring 9 goals while on Loan. Not the Star i thought he would be. He did score a Great Goal in the Gold Cup though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tk2ordnyrII

Andy74
29-03-2012, 03:17 PM
Another shut out that day though..Unconventional doesn't = ineffective.

Naw, but Maka did = pish overall.

Skanko79
29-03-2012, 04:58 PM

Didier Agathe scored one of the finest goals ive seen scored at ER against Dundee.

FraserHFC
29-03-2012, 05:04 PM
Thought - and frankly still do - that Antoine Curier was a decent player

I'll second that one. Thought he had the potential to do a decent job for us.

lyonhibs
29-03-2012, 05:06 PM
Didier Agathe scored one of the finest goals ive seen scored at ER against Dundee.

:agree::agree: Slalomed past about 5 Dundee players, all of whom were trying to boot him up in the air (this was Bonetti's Dundee, when they averaged at least 1 red a game, or so it seemed) before putting it more or less in the postage stamp. We won 5-2 or something bonkers like that IIRC?

nonshinyfinish
29-03-2012, 05:13 PM
:agree::agree: Slalomed past about 5 Dundee players, all of whom were trying to boot him up in the air (this was Bonetti's Dundee, when they averaged at least 1 red a game, or so it seemed) before putting it more or less in the postage stamp. We won 5-2 or something bonkers like that IIRC?

5-1 I think. I was on holiday in the Lake District, listening to the radio in a car park in the pissing rain as the reception faded in and out at the very limit of Radio Scotland's MW range.

Simpler times. :agree:

NOLA
29-03-2012, 05:42 PM
dundee took the lead with a cracking goal by Cabellero, after which matty Jack took him out the game, agathe scored 2 toppers infront of the watching martin o'neill and i turned to my mate and said we need to sign this guy up properly, left to join celtic 2 weeks later im sure.

always thought Emilio Bottiglieri would go onto be a real good full back for us, got a standing ovation when making his debut.

ancient hibee
29-03-2012, 05:50 PM
After watching England beat us at Hampden in 1966 I remember telling all and sundry that they had no chance in the World Cup.

Always thought that Kenny Davidson,Davie Hogg and Malcolm Bogie would turn into big stars for us.

Pete
29-03-2012, 06:13 PM
I remember seeing sol bamba play for dunfermline and thinking that he was mince. All legs, no control and I remember thinking that this must be amadou konte's brother who fancied himself as a defender.

Bishop Hibee
29-03-2012, 06:19 PM
The first time I saw Gordon Durie in a Hibs shirt I proclaimed that here was a future Scotland international who would play at the top level. If he hadn't had dodgy knees he would have played for Man Utd or Liverpool who were the top dogs at that time.

I missed Latapy in the first division as I was out the country and after seeing his first few games in 99/00 declared that he wasn't that great. McLeish had a pop at him in the press and the wee man started turning it on big style :not worth

Springbank
29-03-2012, 06:31 PM

Bobby Williamson agreed and tried a swap deal with Bobby Mann the rest is is history :greengrin

The version of the story I heard, Blobby tried to swap BOTH Whittaker and Riordan together in return for Bobby Mann.

Rod's best ever piece of business was getting someone in Plymouth to pay money to take that un-Hibernian manager away from Leith.

R'Albin
29-03-2012, 07:19 PM
Was also guilty of thinking that O'Hanlon resembled a football player on his debut for us.

I thought Ivan would be a great signing in the summer, suppose that counts as another, though still don't think we are playing him in a correct role that plays to his strengths.

Palsson would be another recently, can't think of any really bad ones further back though.

frazeHFC
29-03-2012, 07:25 PM

:agree: :thumbsup:

I used to have the highlights of that on video, and used to always watch it. Huge crowd (think Dundee sold away stand or at least bottom tier) and went 1-0 up, then we destroyed them, Agathe got 2 peaches i think! :thumbsup:

StarMan10
29-03-2012, 07:53 PM
Giovani dos Santos when he left Barcelona to join Tottenham, I thought he would be a star in the BPL. Since then he has been sent on Loan to Ipswich Town, Galatasaray and Racing Santander. Scoring 9 goals while on Loan. Not the Star i thought he would be. He did score a Great Goal in the Gold Cup though:

Thought he was class at the world cup for mexico in the games they played. Both him and vela (arsenal youngster) looked potential world beaters!

cocopops1875
30-03-2012, 03:43 AM
My most shameful was Jim Leighton, didnt understand us signing dundee's 3rd choice keeper was very upset about that, well he is now a hero of mine and I was proven very wrong. I have also heavily backed Maka and Stack :-) goalie folk ken whits going on

Hibby70
30-03-2012, 04:54 AM
I remember singing 'what a waste of money' during a Hibs v Blackburn friendly. Alan Shearer I think his name was - didnt amount to much after that ......

Beefster
30-03-2012, 08:23 AM
When David Murphy played a game as a trialist in a pre-season friendly. He looked so over-weight i reckoned he was never going to make it.

It was against Leeds IIRC. I was the same - thought that he was slow and fat. Now he's one of my favourite ex-players.

Holmesdale Hibs
31-03-2012, 08:27 AM
I remember telling my Celtic supporting mate that £xmn for John Hartson was too much for a fat ******* that hadn't proved himself anywhere.

Worse than that was trying to convince an Arsenal fan that Thiery Henry was hopeless.

For Hibs, I remember saying that Paco Luna was **** but if he had of scored that header vs AEK then I would have had to put his name on the back of my shirt.

nonshinyfinish
31-03-2012, 09:29 AM
Worse than that was trying to convince an Arsenal fan that Thiery Henry was hopeless.

:top marks

New champion?

lyonhibs
31-03-2012, 10:04 AM
:top marks

New champion?

I thought thinking Iniesta was gash was bad, but that's a :top marks

Treadstone
31-03-2012, 10:11 AM
I will keep it to Hibs players only , and give you three although if i tried i could name about fifty . the first time i seen Michael Renwick was a live cup game with Celtic , i was at the game and was ultra impressed he was cool on the ball , positionally very good and strong in the tackle .What Happened ?
Tam McManus such a talented player I guess applying himself properly was Tams' problem , some guys on mega money dont have half his talent . Celebration with the pole at Tannadice after the tabloid non-story was inspired .
Graeme Love was the best player I ever seen at the youth level in Scotland bar none . Apparently got so nervous before games , pity , he looked a world beater against lads his own age ,head and shoulders above the lot of them .

blackpoolhibs
31-03-2012, 10:23 AM
David Van Zanten, watched his debut and thought, at last a player who's comfortable on the ball, can defend and chip in with the midfield going forward. :rolleyes:

I watched Michael Hart a couple of times at Preston, and he was good. Quicker than his winger, and defended very well, got forward when he could. We must have signed a different Michael Hart?

Zibi, in Ireland he came out and collected a cross early on in his first game, and the Hibs fans rose as one in cheering it. He looked assured all game, and i think everyone there thought, we had someone at last to take over from Brown.

jgl07
31-03-2012, 10:52 PM
It was against Leeds IIRC. I was the same - thought that he was slow and fat. Now he's one of my favourite ex-players.

I thought that Murphy was great in the game against Leeds.

Mwbray obviously agreed and signed him full time.

.Sean.
01-04-2012, 03:55 AM
I remember Zarabi's debut at ER V Gretna - I thought we'd signed the African Maldini...

Franck is God
01-04-2012, 01:14 PM
Mines would be mark mcgraw I had high hopes for him especially after he came on against Celtic in the cup but sadly that was his finest moment

Mark McGraw unfortunately never recovered from his leg break, worst injury I have seen live. At home against Dunfermline 3 weeks before the Skol Cup final. David Moyes went straight through him while crossing for Wright to score, barely played again for us.