PDA

View Full Version : NHC Fernando Torres

hibeemikey21
27-03-2012, 08:16 PM
The more I watch Chelsea, the more I am convinced that a huge contributing factor to his drought is the shocking "service" he receives. The commentators really picked up on it in the leicester game and I have looked out for it ever since. He is such an unselfish player, but often partnered in attack by players looking to do it all alone.

Tonight: the amount of great runs he makes, or when he is holding the line, on the shoulder of the last defender, waiting to make the burst - only for the ball to come too late or not at all.

I reckon he could do with a move back to a club where he is the man who the ball goes to every time in attack.

hibeemikey21
27-03-2012, 08:17 PM
Edit: just made a cracking assist as I posted that!

Hibernia&Alba
27-03-2012, 08:20 PM
Fifty million pounds sterling :greengrin

Doesn't look the same guy who was so good at Liverpool.

SteveHFC
27-03-2012, 08:23 PM
The guy is terrible.

£50M :faf:

frazeHFC
27-03-2012, 08:23 PM
He did well with the assist, but i don't blame it on service. He has missed sitters, blazed balls over the bar and tried to play passes that go out for throw-ins. Not the same player as Liverpool had when he first joined them.

Matty_Jack04
27-03-2012, 08:24 PM
I actually think that with doing his hamstring so many times he either lost the pace he had or he's too scared to really let go at a man and try the things he done before therefore has tried to change his game to more of a penalty box striker and it's just no working

hibeemikey21
27-03-2012, 08:44 PM
I actually think that with doing his hamstring so many times he either lost the pace he had or he's too scared to really let go at a man and try the things he done before therefore has tried to change his game to more of a penalty box striker and it's just no working

I actually think the opposite - he seems to be attempting to become a playmaker as opposed to a centre forward in the classical sense

jgl07
27-03-2012, 09:49 PM
Fifty million pounds sterling :greengrin

Doesn't look the same guy who was so good at Liverpool.

He was rubbish in his last few months at Liverpool.

Dunbar Hibee
27-03-2012, 09:53 PM
He takes too much stick IMO. He is not worth 50 million but I still think he is a good player. Has been playing great recently.

Sylar
27-03-2012, 10:20 PM
He takes too much stick IMO. He is not worth 50 million but I still think he is a good player. Has been playing great recently.

He's certainly shown signs of improvement, but his only 2 goals since October have come against a side who are a division below Chelsea and were easily blown away at Stamford Bridge - much work still needs to be done and I'm sure he knows this.

I think the stick he has been getting is acceptable to be honest - granted, HE didn't value himself at £50 million, but quite why Chelsea felt comfortable paying that kind of money is beyond me - he was dreadful during the World Cup (though he was dealing with a return from injury) but never picked up upon his return to Anfield and has been deteriorating ever since, until Di Matteo took over, and suddenly he has a new zest of life in him by the looks of it.

You don't suddenly just go from superstar to rancid though, so either a lack of quality support or confidence or a combination of both have to take some measure of blame. His overall performances in recent games have certainly looked far more energetic and purposeful, but I'm not sure we'll ever see the same player who scored for fun for Liverpool.

I've been one to criticise him fairly regularly - I still think there are aspects of his game which are nowhere near the desired level (his first touch, awareness and finishing to be exact) but he's certainly showing signs of the quality which was evident when he first arrived in England.

Jones28
28-03-2012, 11:04 PM
£50 million for anyone in that league is outrageous! However, feel for the guy as he's not the one who slapped the price tag on his head.

Hibercelona
28-03-2012, 11:11 PM
He's certainly not worth 50,000,000.

But no player is.

Haymaker
29-03-2012, 12:18 AM

But no player is.

Really? I would say messi and ronaldo are worth £50m with what they deliver

Pretty Boy
29-03-2012, 07:43 AM

But no player is.

Football players are worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for them, the sane goes for their wages.

That's the way the system works.

Hibercelona
29-03-2012, 11:10 AM
Really? I would say messi and ronaldo are worth £50m with what they deliver

Deliver what exactly? They kick a round piece of rubber around exceptionally well. There are far more important jobs out there than being a footballer, yet people get paid peanuts and aren't referred to as "heros" as much as footballers are, even if their job involves saving lifes while putting their own on the line on a daily basis.

Football players are worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for them, the sane goes for their wages.

That's the way the system works.

I know how the system works. It isn't justified though.

hibeemikey21
29-03-2012, 11:34 AM
Deliver what exactly? They kick a round piece of rubber around exceptionally well. There are far more important jobs out there than being a footballer, yet people get paid peanuts and aren't referred to as "heros" as much as footballers are, even if their job involves saving lifes while putting their own on the line on a daily basis.

I know how the system works. It isn't justified though.

I think he means this:

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/oddballs/821856-cristiano-ronaldo-shirt-sales-have-already-paid-off-80m

The same went for Beckham, who, IIRC had justified his £20 mill or so price tag within a few months through merchandising. Add to that the prize money and, more importantly, the TV money that Ronaldo and Messi alone will bring in, they more than justify these price tags and astronomical wages. These players are the exceptions though, for every Ronaldo or Messi, there are about 10,000 players being paid well over the odds unjustifiably, with the club spending beyond their means to do so.

So in terms of what the guy said, some players most certainly are worth £50 mil +

Haymaker
29-03-2012, 04:37 PM
I think he means this:

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/oddballs/821856-cristiano-ronaldo-shirt-sales-have-already-paid-off-80m

The same went for Beckham, who, IIRC had justified his £20 mill or so price tag within a few months through merchandising. Add to that the prize money and, more importantly, the TV money that Ronaldo and Messi alone will bring in, they more than justify these price tags and astronomical wages. These players are the exceptions though, for every Ronaldo or Messi, there are about 10,000 players being paid well over the odds unjustifiably, with the club spending beyond their means to do so.

So in terms of what the guy said, some players most certainly are worth £50 mil +

Indeed.

There are however, as you rightly point out, alot of players who are paid huge sums of cash and clubs spend millions on their transfers that just dont deserve that kind of money.

PISTOL1875
29-03-2012, 05:02 PM
The guy is terrible.

£50M :faf:

The only thing that is terrible here is your post. If you bothered to watch the game instead of slating the guy you will see that when he played for Liverpool , most of goals came as played with a link-up man. Where it be either Gerrard or Kuyt. At Chelski , they don't play that system and Torres has to rely on runners coming from midfield..

MWHIBBIES
29-03-2012, 05:20 PM
The guy is terrible.

£50M :faf:If Fernando Torres, a man with over 150 club goals at the top level, 27 for one of the best nations in the world and world cup and European championship medals is ''terrible'' then what exactly are some of the players we have had to watch at ER in the last few years?

He is having a shocking time of it lately but after being played when no where near fit for 2 years at Liverpool then at the world cup for Spain with the added pressure of a 50m pound price tag since joining Chelsea it isn't really that shocking.

I for one rate him highly and hope that he can get back to his best because he is a great player to watch.